NATION

PASSWORD

We value your privacy

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

We value your privacy

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:00 pm

I've recently seen a pop-up asking for cookies and giving privacy options and there's constantly a privacy tab in the bottom right hand corner; is this a new thing or have I just not noticed it before?
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:05 pm

Can you post a screenshot? It could be something from our ad host but I'm not sure.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:13 pm

Screenshot: https://ibb.co/wNF2wmL

Screenshot of the tab: https://ibb.co/Jzs9j44

It is present both on my laptop browser and phone.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:52 pm

I've visited the site on at least 4 different computers, a phone, and a tablet. I've used multiple browsers and accessed the site from multiple locations. I've never seen anything like your screenshots. I don't think it's us.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:57 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:I've visited the site on at least 4 different computers, a phone, and a tablet. I've used multiple browsers and accessed the site from multiple locations. I've never seen anything like your screenshots. I don't think it's us.

I am only getting it on my phone, it doesn't appear on desktop. It appears to be a notification to ensure GDPR-compliance, so it might only appear in EU countries. Might be worth a mod or admin in the EU to sign in on mobile to see if they get it.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:07 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:I've visited the site on at least 4 different computers, a phone, and a tablet. I've used multiple browsers and accessed the site from multiple locations. I've never seen anything like your screenshots. I don't think it's us.

I am only getting it on my phone, it doesn't appear on desktop. It appears to be a notification to ensure GDPR-compliance, so it might only appear in EU countries. Might be worth a mod or admin in the EU to sign in on mobile to see if they get it.

Corroboration: I'm in the UK and I'm not receiving that notification on desktop either - but that might be because I've turned on the Adblocker (is whitelisting NS necessary for the privacy notice to crop up?).
Last edited by Tinhampton on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I am only getting it on my phone, it doesn't appear on desktop. It appears to be a notification to ensure GDPR-compliance, so it might only appear in EU countries. Might be worth a mod or admin in the EU to sign in on mobile to see if they get it.

Corroboration: I'm in the UK and I'm not receiving that notification on desktop either - but that might be because I've turned on the Adblocker (is whitelisting NS necessary for the privacy notice to crop up?).

Yes I have an adblocker as well, so that might be why it is not appearing. I'll just check if it works on Microsoft Edge (I don't have an adblocker on that).

EDIT: I can confirm that without the adblocker it does appear on desktop as well.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:39 pm

I'm pretty sure I had it a few days ago, either on my phone or work laptop. I'll take a screenshot if it happens again.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:41 pm

Yep I've got this every day for the past week or so.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:51 pm

It is coming from our ad host for users in the EU or California, apparently because of new privacy laws. I'm trying to find out more info.

Calvin and Hobbesylvania
Civilian

Founded: Nov 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Calvin and Hobbesylvania » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:53 pm

Wot?

Atkemri
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Atkemri » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:53 pm

[violet] wrote:It is coming from our ad host for users in the EU or California, apparently because of new privacy laws. I'm trying to find out more info.

I'm from California and I haven't seen that pop-up, most likely from the EU
ATKEMRIAN NATIONAL NEWS: Atkemrian police arrest ringleaders of massive human trafficking ring. 22 aressted with more predicted in the next few months.\150 people freed from the ring

ASP Foundation
No NS stats are used
A 16 civilization, according to this index.
Join my new NS super server!

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Atkemri wrote:I'm from California and I haven't seen that pop-up,

The hosting companies are probably applying it to EU IP ranges. It wouldn't surprise me to see non-European proxy users getting that notification. A lot of proxy providers, like the popular Nord VPN service, have a lot of EU servers.

Benjamin Mark
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Benjamin Mark » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:36 am

[violet] wrote:It is coming from our ad host for users in the EU or California, apparently because of new privacy laws. I'm trying to find out more info.

From Attorney General Becerra, I get harassed about this on other websites.

https://oag.ca.gov/privacy/ccpa

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:29 pm

Yep, I've had it for about a week too. (UK)

Edit: But only on the forum for me though.
Last edited by Earthbound Immortal Squad on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merry Christmas!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:27 pm

Earthbound Immortal Squad wrote:Yep, I've had it for about a week too. (UK)

Yes that's the same for everyone I think. I don't think anyone is getting it gameside (unless someone wishes to prove me wrong of course).

Wave on, wave on

Konolas
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Konolas » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:33 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Earthbound Immortal Squad wrote:Yep, I've had it for about a week too. (UK)

Yes that's the same for everyone I think. I don't think anyone is getting it gameside (unless someone wishes to prove me wrong of course).

Gonna prove you wrong

Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please spolier large images

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:39 am

Konolas wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yes that's the same for everyone I think. I don't think anyone is getting it gameside (unless someone wishes to prove me wrong of course).

Gonna prove you wrong

That's weird, I have never had it gameside.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please don't quote large images

Wave on, wave on

Celestiam
Secretary

Founded: Dec 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Celestiam » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 am

I've had it for the first time this evening. Connecting from the UK (which, until next week, is still in the EU so it might be the GDPR...)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical