NATION

PASSWORD

The Esoterics: Devil's Whisper OOC (Fantasy, Open, Intrigue)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Did you notice my JoJo reference with Sumani Seigana

1: yes
20%
2: no
No votes
3: what
80%

Total votes : 5

West Bromwich Holme
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby West Bromwich Holme » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:11 pm

DeltaSource wrote:Today is Saturday, u mean Sunday or next Saturday?

Next Saturday is what I meant.
Formerly Astholm. I am no longer using the account Astholm.

Asardia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Asardia » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:05 pm

West Bromwich Holme wrote:
Asardia wrote:The time period is based on the Ming and Song dynasties of China, so medieval times (specifically around 1100 to 1300)

A good story arc could be an expanded idea of what Sofia-Meja Malmstrom is trying to do. Is she a contractor then, getting paid to give mages abilities? If that's the case, then I think a lot could be done with this. The noble families along with many other characters may go to her to get those powers

I get it now. Makes some sense. I've taken some artistic license with history making them half-Finnish, half-Swedish.

As for Sofia-Meja Malmstrom, well, some mages are buying specific abilities from her, which expire after a certain time and are time-locked; they include shapeshifting.

Also important, but with another Malmstrom member, are the clawdd owls (not a misspelling of clawed, it's from the Welsh word clawdd meaning ditch, but pronounced as cloud), created by the Malmstroms, who are noted for their happiness in slavery with their owners and bonding to them, and their obsession with mud (clawdd means ditch, so it makes some sense as well as a pun on clawed). They could be useful to noble families too, since the clawdd owls have some interesting abilities.

The DNA-editing abilities the Malmstroms have is an anachronism, but rule of cool was what I thought of.

I won't be able to post until Saturday, though, but if you want to start, feel free; as long as you're aware of that, it's all good.

This is quite the backstory. If I may ask, could I get a little more info on the slavery aspect? But thanks for telling me when you'll be able to post along with the details on the owls. I look forward to reading your posts.

Also, DNA editing wouldn't be too anacrhonistic, as Bloodline Magic is really just families trying to recreate Esoteric Magic or strengthen existing magic within their houses.
If money is where you find happiness you'll always be poor
Often its not the driver but the passengers that find the right path

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

5pb wrote:"I'm cutting it off," Ayano raised an axe above her head

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

West Bromwich Holme
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby West Bromwich Holme » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:48 pm

Asardia wrote:This is quite the backstory. If I may ask, could I get a little more info on the slavery aspect? But thanks for telling me when you'll be able to post along with the details on the owls. I look forward to reading your posts.

Also, DNA editing wouldn't be too anacrhonistic, as Bloodline Magic is really just families trying to recreate Esoteric Magic or strengthen existing magic within their houses.

The loyalty to owners is a trait built into the owls by the magic; it's part of the special magic involved in creating them. The mud is special mud, created for them, but if you can't get it, regular mud works as ersatz substitute; it's needed for them to grow and stops them withering.

The owls aren't brainwashed, and it's part of who they are; they're created from whole cloth, not based on any existing species. So, technically, owls and not owls; magical beings in the form of owls, but owl bodies are their true form. Indeed, to this family, owls are of importance; one crest of theirs has an owl logo on in one of their markets. To them, owls are considered as something positive and a symbol of wisdom and virtue.

Happiness in Slavery on TVTropes was what I used as inspiration.

One other question, what's the east of Ryobei like, so that the Malmstrom's residence makes sense within the story?

Where are you going to start from with the post and interaction with Sofia?
Last edited by West Bromwich Holme on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:41 pm

I'll have my first post up sometime tomorrow. :p
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

Granluras
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Granluras » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:30 pm

Whew, what a well made and thought out roleplay. I’ll definitely be tossing my hat in the ring. Just give me a day or two to flesh out a character.
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 pm

Asardia wrote:This is quite the backstory. If I may ask, could I get a little more info on the slavery aspect? But thanks for telling me when you'll be able to post along with the details on the owls. I look forward to reading your posts.

The loyalty to owners is a trait built into the owls by the magic; it's part of the special magic involved in creating them. The mud is special mud, created for them, but if you can't get it, regular mud works as ersatz substitute; it's needed for them to grow and stops them withering.

The owls aren't brainwashed, and it's part of who they are; they're created from whole cloth, not based on any existing species. So, technically, owls and not owls; magical beings in the form of owls, but owl bodies are their true form. Indeed, to this family, owls are of importance; one crest of theirs has an owl logo on in one of their markets. To them, owls are considered as something positive and a symbol of wisdom and virtue.

Happiness in Slavery on TVTropes was what I used as inspiration.

One other question, what's the east of Ryobei like, so that the Malmstrom's residence makes sense within the story?

Where are you going to start from with the post and interaction with Sofia?

Hmm I see. That's a really cool idea on the owls (and TV tropes is one of my favorite sites). For Ryobei, being east of the city means you're probably across the river that seperates the central sections from Azukana. Due to the proximity of both cities in that general area, you would see more mages from Azukana and perhaps the Kamuri. If you're east of the river but still west of the forests, then the culture of Ryobei remains dominant.

Oh, and speaking of which, Divine Beasts will run rampant there too. It's nothing higher ranking mages couldn't handle, but as you get away from populated zones and closer to the mountains of the south, Divine Beasts of the exotic kind will be seen, but are usually friendly. Also, note that this "empire" is just that in name. I think it should be more of a confederacy, as the three Great States and various villages/towns don't have any nationality, and instead fend mostly for themselves unless major war comes. So depending on how indepedent the Malmström views themselves, they probably would be like the other two Houses: No real sense of connection to Ryobei.

Does this help?

And for beginning, I'll have Sarin/Maurikael come across her, or maybe some characters from the Kamuri.

Cappuccina wrote:I'll have my first post up sometime tomorrow. :p

Granluras wrote:Whew, what a well made and thought out roleplay. I’ll definitely be tossing my hat in the ring. Just give me a day or two to flesh out a character.

Hey Granluras! You remember me as Japan back in the imperialism RP? Both of you can take as much time as needed to make characters
Last edited by Asardia on Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

DeltaSource
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby DeltaSource » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:28 pm

hey, who are some of the gods in the rp? I remember there being a list but can no longer find it.
Games I'm Playing Atm:
Persona 5 Royal
Genshin Impact
Call of Duty: Warzone

Cappuccina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:34 pm

DeltaSource wrote:hey, who are some of the gods in the rp? I remember there being a list but can no longer find it.

They're listed in the "Religion" part of the OP. :p

Apparently, I'm an INFP

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:52 pm

DeltaSource wrote:hey, who are some of the gods in the rp? I remember there being a list but can no longer find it.

Cappuccina wrote:

They're listed in the "Religion" part of the OP. :p

That was part of the Abstraction Magic section of the RP which I removed several weeks ago. I apologise now, but at the time, Jasmine (my character) was the only one I knew who used it. Everyone else seemed to use regular Esoteric Magic or Bloodline Magic, so I thought I should remove it, as the OP is incredibly long and I viewed that section as more useless worldbuilding. I also kind of decided to retcon that section a little. I'll try to tell you what I remember.

The only goddess I know is Yon-Eien, which is what Jasmine uses for her Illusion Magic. I usually keep a list of these things in my Google Drive, but I don't have it there. If you want, I can re-create the list with new names and some of the old things I had. Personally, if you're looking for Abstraction Magic, I recommend going for my new idea (based on HxH's Nen System). With that, all you have to do is make an ability and have restrictions on it. The more restrictions the ability has, the stronger it is.

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Cappuccina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:52 am

Nice! Just got finished reading the IC, this is gonna be fun! Post coming up tomorrow!

Apparently, I'm an INFP

West Bromwich Holme
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby West Bromwich Holme » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:42 am

Asardia wrote:Hmm I see. That's a really cool idea on the owls (and TV tropes is one of my favorite sites). For Ryobei, being east of the city means you're probably across the river that seperates the central sections from Azukana. Due to the proximity of both cities in that general area, you would see more mages from Azukana and perhaps the Kamuri. If you're east of the river but still west of the forests, then the culture of Ryobei remains dominant.

Oh, and speaking of which, Divine Beasts will run rampant there too. It's nothing higher ranking mages couldn't handle, but as you get away from populated zones and closer to the mountains of the south, Divine Beasts of the exotic kind will be seen, but are usually friendly. Also, note that this "empire" is just that in name. I think it should be more of a confederacy, as the three Great States and various villages/towns don't have any nationality, and instead fend mostly for themselves unless major war comes. So depending on how indepedent the Malmström views themselves, they probably would be like the other two Houses: No real sense of connection to Ryobei.

Does this help?

And for beginning, I'll have Sarin/Maurikael come across her, or maybe some characters from the Kamuri.

Good point. It really does help make things easier.

However, for it to make sense and for them to have some connection to Ryobei, since they like owning property too, what about them owning some buildings / land in Ryobei itself, so they've got some connection to Ryobei and it gives them an in-universe reason to be there frequently (since they're a large family, having some of them live there may make sense!). Is there any restriction on foreign land/property ownership, especially for families like them who make money, not just from trade, but from owning property?

DeltaSource
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby DeltaSource » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:16 am

Asardia wrote:

Cappuccina wrote:They're listed in the "Religion" part of the OP. :p

That was part of the Abstraction Magic section of the RP which I removed several weeks ago. I apologise now, but at the time, Jasmine (my character) was the only one I knew who used it. Everyone else seemed to use regular Esoteric Magic or Bloodline Magic, so I thought I should remove it, as the OP is incredibly long and I viewed that section as more useless worldbuilding. I also kind of decided to retcon that section a little. I'll try to tell you what I remember.

The only goddess I know is Yon-Eien, which is what Jasmine uses for her Illusion Magic. I usually keep a list of these things in my Google Drive, but I don't have it there. If you want, I can re-create the list with new names and some of the old things I had. Personally, if you're looking for Abstraction Magic, I recommend going for my new idea (based on HxH's Nen System). With that, all you have to do is make an ability and have restrictions on it. The more restrictions the ability has, the stronger it is.

Well what I want to do is a bit odd, so could we describe Yon-Elen.......and maybe a few more gods, cuz it technically doesn't fall under abstraction magic, but technically does, you'll understand when u see my finished application.
Last edited by DeltaSource on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I'm Playing Atm:
Persona 5 Royal
Genshin Impact

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:20 am

Asardia wrote:
Granluras wrote:Whew, what a well made and thought out roleplay. I’ll definitely be tossing my hat in the ring. Just give me a day or two to flesh out a character.

Hey Granluras! You remember me as Japan back in the imperialism RP? Both of you can take as much time as needed to make characters

Your name is faintly familiar to me but I’ve been so overwhelmed in the last few months, plus there was a period of inactivity, so I’ve forgotten like all of what Ive done in these forums.
Last edited by Granluras on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Cappuccina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:44 pm

I'm assuming the Kosen Machi palace would probably be the best place to introduce Sakina into the IC, since quite a few of the player characters are there ATM.

Apparently, I'm an INFP

DeltaSource
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby DeltaSource » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Cappuccina wrote:I'm assuming the Kosen Machi palace would probably be the best place to introduce Sakina into the IC, since quite a few of the player characters are there ATM.

I have Xavi there.
Games I'm Playing Atm:
Persona 5 Royal
Genshin Impact

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Asardia wrote:Hmm I see. That's a really cool idea on the owls (and TV tropes is one of my favorite sites). For Ryobei, being east of the city means you're probably across the river that seperates the central sections from Azukana. Due to the proximity of both cities in that general area, you would see more mages from Azukana and perhaps the Kamuri. If you're east of the river but still west of the forests, then the culture of Ryobei remains dominant.

Does this help?

However, for it to make sense and for them to have some connection to Ryobei, since they like owning property too, what about them owning some buildings / land in Ryobei itself, so they've got some connection to Ryobei and it gives them an in-universe reason to be there frequently (since they're a large family, having some of them live there may make sense!). Is there any restriction on foreign land/property ownership, especially for families like them who make money, not just from trade, but from owning property?

There aren't restrictions on property ownership. Since Ryobei is seen as the de facto capital, many families have lands and embassies in the city. The thing is that many don't get along, so they wouldn't really want to keep a major presence, but each family is different of course, so your idea works fine.

DeltaSource wrote:
Asardia wrote:

Well what I want to do is a bit odd, so could we describe Yon-Elen.......and maybe a few more gods, cuz it technically doesn't fall under abstraction magic, nut technically does, you'll understand when u see my finished application.

Hmmm. Well Yon-Eien is the goddess of time, and personifies deception. That's how Jasmine can use her illusions, since they're tied to trickery. Yon-Eien is also calm and perceptive, which means that people who use her as a basis of their powers generally have to match this personality trait. I think this gives out the idea, so here's the new list:

Chyron, Goddess of Life: The name speaks for itself as Chyron is the personification of fertility. In the realm of Abstraction Magic (I know you said you weren't going that route, but I wanted to lay it out), this allows for manipulation of objects and living creatures, which is where Arrindor's transmutation magic comes from

Kuroshiga, God of Death: The antithesis to Chyron, Kuroshiga is best used for people who are sadists or just enjoy pain sounds weird I know. Worshippers of Kuroshiga can use his Divine Essence for abilities that revolve around deadly abilities, such as a "death touch" so to speak. Basically stealing the Essence from others. Kuroshiga likes to recieve the user's Essence in exchange for using his magic

Churitsu, God of Apathy. Churitsu is best used for mages who have sudden changes in loyalty (or none in general). I view him as a chaotic neutral, someone who does what's best for them at the time, which may or may not be convient/helpful for those nearby. For magic, it does kind of tie into Chryon's a bit, but not fully. Churitsu also deals with manipulation in a different way. This means you can use self enhancement abilities or grant others those same ones.

Granluras wrote:
Asardia wrote:

Your name is faintly familiar to me but I’ve been so overwhelmed in the last few months, plus there was a period of inactivity, so I’ve forgotten like all of what Ive done in these forums.

There was a time where I left the site for a bit, so I know what you're talking about. Just thought I would say it to see if you remembered. No big deal though, I just have a strangely good memory when it comes to the most random things

Cappuccina wrote:I'm assuming the Kosen Machi palace would probably be the best place to introduce Sakina into the IC, since quite a few of the player characters are there ATM.

Yes
Last edited by Asardia on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

DeltaSource
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby DeltaSource » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:28 pm

Asardia wrote:

There aren't restrictions on property ownership. Since Ryobei is seen as the de facto capital, many families have lands and embassies in the city. The thing is that many don't get along, so they wouldn't really want to keep a major presence, but each family is different of course, so your idea works fine.

DeltaSource wrote:Well what I want to do is a bit odd, so could we describe Yon-Elen.......and maybe a few more gods, cuz it technically doesn't fall under abstraction magic, nut technically does, you'll understand when u see my finished application.

Hmmm. Well Yon-Eien is the goddess of time, and personifies deception. That's how Jasmine can use her illusions, since they're tied to trickery. Yon-Eien is also calm and perceptive, which means that people who use her as a basis of their powers generally have to match this personality trait. I think this gives out the idea, so here's the new list:

Chyron, Goddess of Life: The name speaks for itself as Chyron is the personification of fertility. In the realm of Abstraction Magic (I know you said you weren't going that route, but I wanted to lay it out), this allows for manipulation of objects and living creatures, which is where Arrindor's transmutation magic comes from

Kuroshiga, God of Death: The antithesis to Chyron, Kuroshiga is best used for people who are sadists or just enjoy pain sounds weird I know. Worshippers of Kuroshiga can use his Divine Essence for abilities that revolve around deadly abilities, such as a "death touch" so to speak. Basically stealing the Essence from others. Kuroshiga likes to recieve the user's Essence in exchange for using his magic

Churitsu, God of Apathy. Churitsu is best used for mages who have sudden changes in loyalty (or none in general). I view him as a chaotic neutral, someone who does what's best for them at the time, which may or may not be convient/helpful for those nearby. For magic, it does kind of tie into Chryon's a bit, but not fully. Churitsu also deals with manipulation in a different way. This means you can use self enhancement abilities or grant others those same ones.

Granluras wrote:Your name is faintly familiar to me but I’ve been so overwhelmed in the last few months, plus there was a period of inactivity, so I’ve forgotten like all of what Ive done in these forums.

There was a time where I left the site for a bit, so I know what you're talking about. Just thought I would say it to see if you remembered. No big deal though, I just have a strangely good memory when it comes to the most random things

Yes

Hmm...I mean..here..I'll submit his application tonight and for the God/Goddess part I'll let you tell me which one would best fit.
Games I'm Playing Atm:
Persona 5 Royal
Genshin Impact

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Character Name: S’Fursei
Appearance:

House: Kamuri
Personality: Manipulative and cunning, enigmatic and secretive, methodical and calculating, smart and insightful
Mage Type: Archmage
Magic/Abilities:
  • Elemental Magic: Possesses an immense mastery over fire, and is able to manipulate conjured or pre-existing fire in thousands of different ways with little exertion. He can manipulate other elements and sub-elements to a lesser but still impressive degree, such as (in a decreasing order) lightning, ice, smoke, and earth.
  • Shadow Manipulation: Through intensive training, S’Fursei has been able to acquire the skill of Shadow Manipulation, allowing him to treat shadows like a tangible substance and mold them into complex formations within a small range.
Limitations:
  • His Shadow Magic is highly expensive to his Essence, and can be used for up to a minute at a time.

Faction: Eichtum

Biography:
S’Fursei comes from an enigmatic and old origin, beginning sometime over a century ago. Born as a son of a cousinly branch of the Kamuri dynasty, S’Fursei was immediately cast into darkness, as the court mages of his family began to cry of a dark energy born within him. While S’Fursei recalls his parents first ignoring the cries of their mages, as he aged it became more obvious the mages’ concerns were well-grounded. Through either a dark soul or disturbing mutation, S’Fursei manifested, as a toddler, a powerful pyrokinetic ability, uncharacteristic of the dynasty of ice mages he was born into. S’Fursei’s life only continued to spiral out of control from there, and as his power, curiosity, and ego grew greater, the more the bond he held with his family decayed. The bond finally broke in S’Fursei’s far gone twenties, and he was exiled from the region of Azukana, and wandered many leagues southwards towards the Great Southern Mountains.

During his aimless trampling through the southern mountains, S’Fursei recalls an - ostensible - tale from when he ascended the cavernous slopes of Mount Kigulir. A vile lightning storm covered the sky as far as one could see, and S’Fursei had taken to the mountainside to find shelter. This is when he entered a cavern dug deeply into the northeastern side of Kigulir. While inside, S’Fursei says he was pulled deeper and deeper in by some force, and that’s when the sides of the cavern - all of it, even the ground he was on - became blanketed in an undulating field of fire that balled together several paces in front of him and took a large, intimidating, humanoid form. It was the Fire God, Occidere, addressing him, S’Fursei claims, and Occidere identified S’Fursei as a demihuman offspring of his, the soul of an immortal being fused with a mortal body. Occidere charged S’Fursei with establishing an empire ruled by the power of Fire in the region, using his power to create allies and followers and to amass an army to trample those who opposed him with overwhelming magical might. Occidere then christened S’Fursei as S’Fursei (S-Furrsea), a name he (Occidere) said means “The Inferno” in an ancient tongue. The validity of the story is questioned by outsiders, but is considered absolute truth to S’Fursei’s followers, who refer to him by an endearing and [recently made] official title of “Emperor of Fire”.

The Cave Vision of Occidere was an event now 80 or 90 years old at least. In the many following decades, S’Fursei explored the mountains of the South, searching for ancient ruins and mysteries, and sometimes venturing a great deal west to small cities of the Far South to examine their temples and archives to expand his knowledge on Fire Magic, Elemental Magic, strategy and tactics, and other useful topics. Using a rapidly expanding mastery of several elements, S’Fursei drilled away millions of pounds of rock from Mount Kigulir, converting it into an immense mountainside fortress (Tower of Kigulir) with thousands of rooms, dungeons, halls, spires, and other features; the Cavern of Occidere was turned into a pilgrimage sight accessible from the Great Atrium at the main entrance of the fortress. Decades of travel and proselytism coupled with raiding and invading desolate villages and towns to recruit, plunder, or enslave their inhabitants followed. Whispers of a cruel force of Elemental Mages ruled by Fire Mages spread north, and the region of the Great Southern Mountains became even more enigmatic and terrifying than before.

Long afterwards, in the modern day, S’Fursei sits as Overlord of the Eichtum, a large and skilled nation of reserved and cavernous folk with Fire Mages at the top of its hierarchy, and impotent peasants at the bottom serving as serfs. With word of the thinly spread and wobbly Salyan Empire having lost its Emperor and slowly resorting to discord and infighting, S’Fursei sits atop his throne of fire and ash cackling hungrily. After decades of reclusive and quick conquest reserved to the vast and dense mountains, is it now time to lurch out and forge the great Empire of Fire?

Additional Information: S’Fursei is, in essence, a lich. He wears a weak and sacrificed mortal body in order to strengthen his soul and Essence. A small guard of Black Mages (who also compose his personal guard) keep his body from rotting entirely, and provide him with extra stamina and agility. Without them, he would in fact have the physical capacity of the centenarian he is.

Faction Name: Eichtum
Leader: S’Fursei
Faction Alignment: Anti-Government
Goals: Seize control of the subcontinent Azukana rests on, and - if possible - supplant the Salyan Empire
Size/Influence: Has tens of thousands of subjects, but probably only one or two thousand Mages, who are the only type of people who are given significant freedom and power in the order of the Eichtum
Base of Operations: Tower of Kigulir
History: The Eichtum was founded by S’Fursei and several Southern Fire Mages several decade ago. Founded in the wake of the Cave Vision of Occidere, it was founded to serve as an organized front for S’Fursei’s goals of establishing a magic-oriented society that would sweep across and conquer as much land as possible. Fire Mages are at the top of the hierarchy, holding the most senior positions closest to S’Fursei, Black Mages and other Elementals are in second due to their usefulness and power, other types of Mages are third, but equally as treasured as the others, non-mages who provide services as soldiers, merchants, or courtiers are fourth, and non-mages with nothing but servile purposes are at the bottom, constituting the vast Eichtum serfdom. In order to maintain complacency among the serfdom, the birth of a child with magical skill offers a chance to be raised out of serfdom. The Eichtum provides duties to S’Fursei such as scouting, raiding, mining, excavation, and conquering. With their help and numbers, S’Fursei is also able to more easily and readily collect ancient writings and grimoires to expand his magical knowledge, which he tests and tinkers with with the help of the Central Mysterium, a nine-person body of experienced Mages trusted by S’Fursei.
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:35 pm

DeltaSource wrote:
Asardia wrote:

Yes

Hmm...I mean..here..I'll submit his application tonight and for the God/Goddess part I'll let you tell me which one would best fit.

This is one of the reasons why I removed that section. I did view this list as really subjective and overly complex. I really want to see your app when it's done, because I still think the conscious setting of limitations would make this process so much easier than the whole god alignment system I set up

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:40 pm

Hey, hey, Asardia, psst, Asardia, look at my app! Hey, Asardia, can you look at my app?

Psst, dude look at my app! You’re online right? Right? Look at my app! Dude?
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:47 pm

Granluras wrote:
Character Name: S’Fursei
Appearance:
House: Kamuri
Personality: Manipulative and cunning, enigmatic and secretive, methodical and calculating, smart and insightful
Mage Type: Archmage
Magic/Abilities:
  • Elemental Magic: Possesses an immense mastery over fire, and is able to manipulate conjured or pre-existing fire in thousands of different ways with little exertion. He can manipulate other elements and sub-elements to a lesser but still impressive degree, such as (in a decreasing order) lightning, ice, smoke, and earth.
  • Shadow Manipulation: Through intensive training, S’Fursei has been able to acquire the skill of Shadow Manipulation, allowing him to treat shadows like a tangible substance and mold them into complex formations within a small range.
Limitations:
  • His Shadow Magic is highly expensive to his Essence, and can be used for up to a minute at a time.

Faction: Eichtum

Biography:
S’Fursei comes from an enigmatic and old origin, beginning sometime over a century ago. Born as a son of a cousinly branch of the Kamuri dynasty, S’Fursei was immediately cast into darkness, as the court mages of his family began to cry of a dark energy born within him. While S’Fursei recalls his parents first ignoring the cries of their mages, as he aged it became more obvious the mages’ concerns were well-grounded. Through either a dark soul or disturbing mutation, S’Fursei manifested, as a toddler, a powerful pyrokinetic ability, uncharacteristic of the dynasty of ice mages he was born into. S’Fursei’s life only continued to spiral out of control from there, and as his power, curiosity, and ego grew greater, the more the bond he held with his family decayed. The bond finally broke in S’Fursei’s far gone twenties, and he was exiled from the region of Azukana, and wandered many leagues southwards towards the Great Southern Mountains.

During his aimless trampling through the southern mountains, S’Fursei recalls an - ostensible - tale from when he ascended the cavernous slopes of Mount Kigulir. A vile lightning storm covered the sky as far as one could see, and S’Fursei had taken to the mountainside to find shelter. This is when he entered a cavern dug deeply into the northeastern side of Kigulir. While inside, S’Fursei says he was pulled deeper and deeper in by some force, and that’s when the sides of the cavern - all of it, even the ground he was on - became blanketed in an undulating field of fire that balled together several paces in front of him and took a large, intimidating, humanoid form. It was the Fire God, Occidere, addressing him, S’Fursei claims, and Occidere identified S’Fursei as a demihuman offspring of his, the soul of an immortal being fused with a mortal body. Occidere charged S’Fursei with establishing an empire ruled by the power of Fire in the region, using his power to create allies and followers and to amass an army to trample those who opposed him with overwhelming magical might. Occidere then christened S’Fursei as S’Fursei (S-Furrsea), a name he (Occidere) said means “The Inferno” in an ancient tongue. The validity of the story is questioned by outsiders, but is considered absolute truth to S’Fursei’s followers, who refer to him by an endearing and [recently made] official title of “Emperor of Fire”.

The Cave Vision of Occidere was an event now 80 or 90 years old at least. In the many following decades, S’Fursei explored the mountains of the South, searching for ancient ruins and mysteries, and sometimes venturing a great deal west to small cities of the Far South to examine their temples and archives to expand his knowledge on Fire Magic, Elemental Magic, strategy and tactics, and other useful topics. Using a rapidly expanding mastery of several elements, S’Fursei drilled away millions of pounds of rock from Mount Kigulir, converting it into an immense mountainside fortress (Tower of Kigulir) with thousands of rooms, dungeons, halls, spires, and other features; the Cavern of Occidere was turned into a pilgrimage sight accessible from the Great Atrium at the main entrance of the fortress. Decades of travel and proselytism coupled with raiding and invading desolate villages and towns to recruit, plunder, or enslave their inhabitants followed. Whispers of a cruel force of Elemental Mages ruled by Fire Mages spread north, and the region of the Great Southern Mountains became even more enigmatic and terrifying than before.

Long afterwards, in the modern day, S’Fursei sits as Overlord of the Eichtum, a large and skilled nation of reserved and cavernous folk with Fire Mages at the top of its hierarchy, and impotent peasants at the bottom serving as serfs. With word of the thinly spread and wobbly Salyan Empire having lost its Emperor and slowly resorting to discord and infighting, S’Fursei sits atop his throne of fire and ash cackling hungrily. After decades of reclusive and quick conquest reserved to the vast and dense mountains, is it now time to lurch out and forge the great Empire of Fire?

Additional Information: S’Fursei is, in essence, a lich. He wears a weak and sacrificed mortal body in order to strengthen his soul and Essence. A small guard of Black Mages (who also compose his personal guard) keep his body from rotting entirely, and provide him with extra stamina and agility. Without them, he would in fact have the physical capacity of the centenarian he is.

Faction Name: Eichtum
Leader: S’Fursei
Faction Alignment: Anti-Government
Goals: Seize control of the subcontinent Azukana rests on, and - if possible - supplant the Salyan Empire
Size/Influence: Has tens of thousands of subjects, but probably only one or two thousand Mages, who are the only type of people who are given significant freedom and power in the order of the Eichtum
Base of Operations: Tower of Kigulir
History: The Eichtum was founded by S’Fursei and several Southern Fire Mages several decade ago. Founded in the wake of the Cave Vision of Occidere, it was founded to serve as an organized front for S’Fursei’s goals of establishing a magic-oriented society that would sweep across and conquer as much land as possible. Fire Mages are at the top of the hierarchy, holding the most senior positions closest to S’Fursei, Black Mages and other Elementals are in second due to their usefulness and power, other types of Mages are third, but equally as treasured as the others, non-mages who provide services as soldiers, merchants, or courtiers are fourth, and non-mages with nothing but servile purposes are at the bottom, constituting the vast Eichtum serfdom. In order to maintain complacency among the serfdom, the birth of a child with magical skill offers a chance to be raised out of serfdom. The Eichtum provides duties to S’Fursei such as scouting, raiding, mining, excavation, and conquering. With their help and numbers, S’Fursei is also able to more easily and readily collect ancient writings and grimoires to expand his magical knowledge, which he tests and tinkers with with the help of the Central Mysterium, a nine-person body of experienced Mages trusted by S’Fursei.

I am an incredibly Q U I C K reader. Some minor questions though: Is his Shadow Manipulation an Esoteric ability? Like Abstraction Magic? Also, I love this app and it is accepted. Would you you think the Censorate and the Machi Yin would try to involve themselves with the Eichtum as the rumors became more profound?

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:52 pm

Asardia wrote:
Granluras wrote:
-snip-

-snap-

I am an incredibly Q U I C K reader. Some minor questions though: Is his Shadow Manipulation an Esoteric ability? Like Abstraction Magic? Also, I love this app and it is accepted. Would you you think the Censorate and the Machi Yin would try to involve themselves with the Eichtum as the rumors became more profound?

I intended for his Shadow Manipulation to be a form of Abstraction Magic, since it’s described as a power “unique to a person”, so there’d be some symbolism in a dark figure like S’Fursei being able to manipulate shadows.

I also think that the Censorate would likely be the most involved with the Eichtum, although perhaps at second priority due to the importance of internal affairs at the moment. Overall, the Eichtum is still reserved and just a cautionary tale for those who live or travel by the Great Southern Mountains. It hasn’t gone full force yet, but we’ll see. :)
Reminiscence

est. 2018

DeltaSource
Chargé d'Affaires

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby DeltaSource » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:08 pm

Character Name:Dmitri Solstice
Appearance:Image
House:None
Personality:Somewhat timid, looks down on himself
Mage Type (Mage, Sensor, Esoteric, Medic, Archmage, Dark Mage?):Mage
Magic/Abilities (if any):Water Trinity:He can control the three stages of water, namely liquid water, ice and water vapor. His abilities with them mostly involve moving them, changing the state they are in, and using them in defense.
Limitations:Changing the states of water requires focus and a lot of essence and so is rarely used.
Faction (does your character belong to a faction? Where does your character’s loyalties lie?):Machi Yin
Biography:An orphan, Dmitri grew up in a family friend's home. He was raised by a loving family, and was always impressed by his adoptive father's swordsmanship. He enjoyed his childhood, and wished to follow in his adoptive father's footsteps to become a Machi Yin guard. His adoptive father was patient with him, and tried to teach him all he knew, but the young boy would always fail. He didn't want his adoptive son to always feel like a failure and tried numerous other methods of teaching, none of them really working. When the boy was 9 he went with his father to see the Emperor and met Natalina there. The young girl was rather bored with the way things were going and tried to get the young Dmitri to play with her. He at first tried to ignore her, not wanting to embarrass his adoptive father, but the young boy eventually gave in and went off with her. He ended up getting in trouble with the cooks for stealing food on a dare from Nataliina, but was quickly forgiven. The two enjoyed each others company and did hang out occasionally. Dmitri wanted nothing more than to please his adoptive father, and he thought he needed to become an expert swordsman to do so. He made a deal with Churitsu to create a sword endowed with magic that would guide his motions. His swordsmanship was noted to be rather good after this, and wasn't questioned much, as Dmitri simply said he had practiced hard, not wanting to tell his father the truth for fear of disappointing him. He applied to be a Machi Yin guard, and was accepted. He believes however that it wasn't anything o do with his skill that got him in, rather his sword, called Zenithia, and Natalina putting in a good word for him earned him the position. He views himself as an overall failure, but tries his best to make his father proud. Little does he know that even if he failed, and never became a guard, his father wouldn't be disappointed. He has a crush on Natalina, and is assigned to the Royal District of Ryobei. He has a dislike for the princes, especially DIva, but will never say it out loud.
Additional Information:
Last edited by DeltaSource on Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I'm Playing Atm:
Persona 5 Royal
Genshin Impact

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:09 pm

Granluras wrote:
Asardia wrote:

I intended for his Shadow Manipulation to be a form of Abstraction Magic, since it’s described as a power “unique to a person”, so there’d be some symbolism in a dark figure like S’Fursei being able to manipulate shadows.

I also think that the Censorate would likely be the most involved with the Eichtum, although perhaps at second priority due to the importance of internal affairs at the moment. Overall, the Eichtum is still reserved and just a cautionary tale for those who live or travel by the Great Southern Mountains. It hasn’t gone full force yet, but we’ll see. :)

Alright. I feel your character and faction will be a massive boost to the RP as Nightmare's plan and coup begins to unfold. That's the best chance for the Eicthum to make a move. But yes I agree, the Censorate would be more concerned with the Emperor and Maurikael's bid to power

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:20 pm

DeltaSource wrote:
Character Name:Dmitri Solstice
Appearance:(Image)
House:None
Personality:Somewhat timid, looks down on himself
Mage Type (Mage, Sensor, Esoteric, Medic, Archmage, Dark Mage?):Mage
Magic/Abilities (if any):Water Trinity:He can control the three stages of water, namely liquid water, ice and water vapor. His abilities with them mostly involve moving them, changing the state they are in, and using them in defense.
Limitations:Changing the states of water requires focus and a lot of essence and so is rarely used.
Faction (does your character belong to a faction? Where does your character’s loyalties lie?):Machi Yin
Biography:An orphan, Dmitri grew up in a family friend's home. He was raised by a loving family, and was always impressed by his adoptive father's swordsmanship. He enjoyed his childhood, and wished to follow in his adoptive father's footsteps to become a Machi Yin guard. His adoptive father was patient with him, and tried to teach him all he knew, but the young boy would always fail. He didn't want his adoptive son to always feel like a failure and tried numerous other methods of teaching, none of them really working. When the boy was 9 he went with his father to see the Emperor and met Natalina there. The young girl was rather bored with the way things were going and tried to get the young Dmitri to play with her. He at first tried to ignore her, not wanting to embarrass his adoptive father, but the young boy eventually gave in and went off with her. He ended up getting in trouble with the cooks for stealing food on a dare from Nataliina, but was quickly forgiven. The two enjoyed each others company and did hang out occasionally. Dmitri wanted nothing more than to please his adoptive father, and he thought he needed to become an expert swordsman to do so. He made a deal with [Insert god/goddess name here] to create a sword endowed with magic that would guide his motions. His swordsmanship was noted to be rather good after this, and wasn't questioned much, as Dmitri simply said he had practiced hard, not wanting to tell his father the truth for fear of disappointing him. He applied to be a Machi Yin guard, and was accepted. He believes however that it wasn't anything o do with his skill that got him in, rather his sword, called Zenithia, and Natalina putting in a good word for him earned him the position. He views himself as an overall failure, but tries his best to make his father proud. Little does he know that even if he failed, and never became a guard, his father wouldn't be disappointed. He has a crush on Natalina, and is assigned to the Royal District of Ryobei. He has a dislike for the princes, especially DIva, but will never say it out loud.
Additional Information:

I see exactly what you're talking about with the Abstraction Magic. Just reading the premise of the power, Solstice's sword magic would be enhancement, but personality wise, it doesn't fit. Churitsu fits it perfectly, but perhaps Chyron with the general object manipulation. Frankly, I think Churitsu fits, and I'm going to remove the personality traits to allow this to make more sense.

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse