NATION

PASSWORD

World Bowl XII Roster/RP Thread - Meet Your New Champion!

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cassadaigua
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Cassadaigua » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:20 am

Meghan’s Space

Sometimes, when teams have a rivalry as is the case between Krytenia and Sarzonia, and they meet in the playoffs, the winner ends up being ripe for the picking by their opponent in the next round. They had exhausted so much energy and excitement into that one game, that as the victory they feel on top of the world. But really, all they did, was win a game. For a nation like Krytenia, making what I believe is just their second ever appearance in the World Bowl, defeating Sarzonia, the defending World Champion, had to be an amazing thrill. First, simply to beat the Stars after a World Cup (soccer) loss of long ago that still eats away at the nation. Secondly, because it shows that they can do more then just play soccer (though maybe we need to show them too, that we can do more then play soccer, as after all, we have the World Cups). They could even be a feel good story for the rest of the world, and while they play scoreless draws in World Cup qualifying with their purple neighbors, at least they know they could kick their ass in this sport. But they will not play anyone in purple, Lord knows if they even know what our football is in Starblaydia, but instead get another feminine color, good ol’ Cassadagan pink. We have the opportunity to rid the world of this could be feel good story and be the bitches of those who love these rags to riches stories.

We are in this game by virtue of a 19-7 win over Voltronica, knocking off yet another underdog with our brilliant secondary. Glenn Weller was intercepted four times in this game, including once by myself. Unfortunately, we had a bit of a problem getting touchdowns against their defense as their front four really stepped it up. We kicked four field goals, but our 1-for-6 in converting 3rd downs of 3 yards or less certainly held us back. The one touchdown we did get was a pretty play, with Kourtney Dahlman catching a simple quick slant for 6 yards and then making four separate Firestorm defenders miss en route to a 61-yard score. On defense we did a great job, only allowing the one 4th quarter score. We move forward now, and now get set to show Mark Kingdom why we are the best secondary in the game. I’m confident that we will play well in all other aspects of the game too as a semifinal berth awaits the winner.
NS Sports’ only World Cup, World Bowl, World Cup of Hockey, World Baseball Classic and International Basketball Championships winner!

(Motorsports, college basketball, and volleyball, too)

Specific Titles: World Cup 50, 51; WBC 14, 16, 19, 50 & 58; WB 8, 22, & 40; WCOH 11 & 39; IBC 13.
Also: CR 40 & 43; CoH 39; Swamp Soccer 4, RTC WC 18 & 19; WVE 6; NSCAA 3, 5 & 9; NSSCRA 7
Runner Up: CoH 40, CR 37, 38 & 41; WB 21, WcoH 8, IBC 12, WBC 13, 15, 47 & 48, DBC 21.
WC Qualified for: 45, 46, 49-61, 67, 79 (DNP WC 69-77), 81-90, 92.
XIII Summer Olympiad: 2nd Most Medals
Hosted: WC 54, 67, 84 & 88; CoH 57 & 73, BoF 47, CR 30, WB 16, WBC 18, 26, 40, 45 & 50, NSCAA, NSCH 1; WLC 7, 30 & 33.

Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Andossa Se Mitrin Vega » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 am

Your friendly Yumbo Jumbo RP Cutoff.

Today's featured flavor: Party Crashin' Blastin' Surprise. Inspired by Buffalostan and Krytenia crashing the eloite eight party.

And the Party Continues to be Crashed with a couple of surprises for the Semis

Delaclava 13, F1 Insanity 23
Krytenia 20, Cassadaigua 16
Bluth Corporation 21, Buffalostan 23
Qazox 13, Whittoria 10

Semi Final Matchups
F1 Insanity vs Krytenia @ Yumbo Jumbo Sports Complex
Buffalostan vs Qazox @ Stadii Se Draggonnii Arcea
Last edited by Andossa Se Mitrin Vega on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champions: AORBC II (Women's Champs); AOHC IV; Cup of Harmony 44, 49, & 54; Baptism of Iron VBrevity Challenge Cup 3
2nd Place: WC64
3rd Place: WC59; WC61WC65
WC Quarterfinals- 53,58,60
Qualified for WC Proper - 27,28,29,30,53,54,56,58,59,60,61,63,64,65
Host: Draggonnii Inviyatii; BoF 17 ; World Bowl XII; BoF43 (with K&P);World Cup 58 (with QPeMA)World Cup 61 (with Valanora)

AO is, as they say, THE PLACE.
Those of you whom we consider friends and respect here on NS are welcome to join us on FB. Simply TG me and We will set it in motion.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Stunning upset sees Mulcaheys through to semis

F1-Insanity Sports Network talking heads Jim and Bob wondered before the game which Mulcaheys team would show up for the game against undefeated Delaclava. In their post game analysis Jim said "the best Mulcaheys team ever". And so it was.

Against the heavily favored undefeated #1 seed there were few who would have given a dime for the Mulcaheys chances. And boy were those few right. The Mulcaheys defense held the powerhouse Delaclava offense to just three scores all game, allowing but one touchdown, against four sacks and three picks. Nothing at all was seen of the Delaclava offense that had racked up 288 points in the group stage and had seemed to score for fun.

Also, quarterback Damon Mable played what can be deemed one of his best games ever. Mable's 24 passing attempts saw 20 completions for 281 yards with two touchdowns and no picks, being sacked only once for the loss of 2 yards.

Particularly impressive was the drive which led to the second Mulcaheys touchdown, in which there were no less than 6 first downs, with the Mulcaheys eating up 6.58 off the clock leaving Delaclava with just 1.01 to score at least 10 points. It didn't happen.

Scoring
1st quarter
Mable pass 62 yards to Mazzucco, touchdown 7-0 (Zimmerman kick good)
Zimmerman 43 yard field goal 10-0
2nd quarter
Delaclava 47 yard field goal 10-3
Zimmerman 35 yard field goal 13-3
3rd quarter
Delaclava touchdown 13-10 (kick good)
Zimmerman 44 yard field goal 16-10
4th quarter
Delaclava 42 yard field goal 16-13
Mable pass 12 yards to Saint-Cyr, touchdown 23-13 (Zimmerman kick good)

Massey discusses chances
"How about them Mulcaheys?", Massey rhetorically asked the reporters who packed the post game press conference. "Even I as a coach do not ever know for sure which Mulcaheys will turn up, we seem to be so erratic off late, being very good in one game, and then very bad in the next. So far, no mediocrity yet and boy was it exciting today. Our defense, I am so [expletive deleted] proud of them. How many yards did we allow? I'm sure it wasn't very much.

Now of course, when we started all this, even before our Baptism of Iron participation, I told all you folks that one day we were going to win it all, and lately some of you and some people have been questioning whether or not I am up to the job. You all figured that the quarter final stage is as far as we would get, and that I wasn't mentally stable enough. I guess I showed you all wrong today. This time, we have come even closer so in effect, we can already deem this World Bowl a success.

Of course, our next opponents, Krytenia, are going to be even harder to beat. Why? Because this is the semi final stage, one game away from the World Bowl. It will be two teams and neither wants to lose it now. I did also hear Whittoria lost their game, shame really. I hope for a World Bowl final against them someday, but meanwhile they can watch us in the semi finals, hoping they can emulate us one day. Though I don't think it will be very soon.
I just hope that we are not going to be blinded by the light, or by some sort of funky shirt design or something, and no I don't think anyone will get de-hosted in the game.

Many will be thinking, now the Mulcaheys have played well, it is time for them to play badly again. Well, you never know about that but we will now play it to win it. Ever closer to our goal and this is what we have made all the effort for. To make progress, to improve as a team, to get further into the World Bowl every time. You all know where we want to end up."

Schedule
F1-Insanity will play Krytenia at the Yumbo Jumbo Sports Complex. Winner progresses to the World Bowl final. Loser, well... loses.
Last edited by F1-Insanity on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Buffalostan
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffalostan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Game Review - Quarterfinals

LINE  1   2   3   4   F
BUF
7 2 7 7 23
BLU
7 0 0 14 21
BOX BUF BLU

1 Tom Harris 92 yard kickoff return (Tom Harris kick) 7 0
Erwin Winters 4 yard pass from Cain Wells (Devin Shipley kick) 7 7
2 Safety, Joe Hill tackled Cain Wells in the endzone 9 7
3 Tom Harris 19 yard rush (Tom Harris kick) 16 7
4 Jack Snyder 20 yard pass from Tom Harris (Tom Harris kick) 23 7
Richard Anthis 2 yard rush (Richard Anthis pass from Cain Wells) 23 15
Richard Anthis 3 yard rush (pass failed) 23 21

Quarterfinal day for World Bowl XIII brought with it just as many surprises as the Round of 16 had produced. Krytenia showed their victory over regional rivals Sarzonia to be no fluke with a 20-16 win against an imposing Cassadagan defence. Delaclava, who left the group stage with a perfect record and #1 seeding, succumbed to F1-Insanity by 10 points. Perhaps more predictably, Qazox beat Whittoria in a low scoring game that pitted West Coast offence against East Coast - but even Qazoxians admit their team has not been in high form in recent World Bowls. So when unranked Buffalostan took the field to face world #1 ranked Bluth Corporation, who had scored more points than any other team in the competition so far, a snap back to reality seemed due. Instead came the most improbable upset of them all.

In fact, the Buffalostanis never once trailed Bluth Corporation, though the scores were level for much of the second quarter. For 50 minutes they held Arthur Miller's famed offence to one, controversial, score, while registering three touchdowns and a surprise safety. Then, in the fourth quarter, Cain Wells showed renewed resolve and led his team on two touchdown drives for 14 points - but still trailing two points, he failed to make the final two point conversion. Bluth Corporation had one final bite at the cherry with a long field goal attempt, but Lamar White botched the snap.

If the game ended dramatically, the start was no less exciting. A four year starter at Mountain State University, Tom Harris has mostly been confined to special teams duties and occasional service as a wideout; he was confirmed as third on the depth chart in the Tarrentum game, when he kicked 11 points but was not used behind John Dunn or Ed Laughlin. But if his speed primarily sees him used in option schemes unpopular at the pro level, it has served him well as an occasional returner, and he made a case for being more than just an occasional choice by returning Christopher Taylor's kickoff 92 yards for a score. He still had energy enough to make the extra point.

It proved to be the only beginning of the special teams trouble Bluth Corporation would face throughout the game. Coordinator George B. Shaw had no answers, only a few haughty witticisms, and Arthur Miller's grim countenance from that opening play told the story. Jack Snyder had a 61 yard punt return while Donald Deputy was held to negative yards on the two punts he tried to advance. The special teamers redeemed themselves in the fourth quarter by successfully recovering onside kicks after each of Richard Anthis's touchdowns, but it fell apart again as a poor snap and a delayed reaction combined to deny Devin Shipley a chance at a game winning kick.

Prior to that final quarter, Bluth Corporation scored only once, on Wells's only touchdown pass of the day. It came about controversially: having pinned Buffalostan with a deep punt after their first drive stalled, John Dunn found himself hit on his second play from scrimmage by a sharp rush from linebacker Braiden Rainey. The ball fell loose, and after the obligatory mad scramble the recovery was ruled a turnover. Buffalostani players and coaches swarmed the referee arguing that it was an incomplete pass, not a fumble, but referee Tatani Ingotbattler maintained the decision. On the next play, Wells threw a touchdown pass to favoured wide receiver Erwin Winters, and Shipley tied the score with his only point of the night.

Dunn, for his part, had no say in the matter as he was left on the field, dazed and confused, and had to be taken off with a separated shoulder, which replays suggested occurred during the attempt to recover the ball, rather than from the initial hit. Regardless, it left the Buffalostanis no choice but to turn to Laughlin or Harris - and they went with Laughlin, who toiled dutifully through the half, completing 13 passes for 104 yards and two interceptions. The only points scored with him at the helm came on another quarterback hit, this time Buffalostan on Bluth Corporation, as co-captain Joe Hill took down Wells in the endzone with a hit that left the big man spitting blood - "the blood of the workers", Hill joked while incurring a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct (producing a further lengthy diatribe on the dialectic of suffering).

After the half, Loughlin emerged, but no longer in control of the team. Despite leading by two points, no one at that stage would have considered it a safe margin against a team able to score so quickly so often, and Harris was given control. Bluth Corporation punted when their third-and-one conversion attempt broke down, and Snyder's excellent return set the team up at the 19. Harris called a pass play, but quickly found his receivers in coverage - and a lane opening up down the blindside - and, foxing the D-line with a sharp pump fake, ducked around the end and sprinted for the corner. He left Jordan Pinkston trailing, smoked Brian Alldredge with a knee-buckling juke, and dived in for a 19 yard touchdown underneath Sean Slade's tackle attempt. Any further discussion on the subject of who should be under centre was rendered unnecessary.

Thereafter, both teams alternated between the sublime and the ridiculous. Wells had a hell of a time picking apart Buffalostan's coverage: he shredded them on a 53 yard burner to Winters, but then threw an easy pick. Meanwhile, Harris burst past the line of scrimmage for big first downs twice more, while throwing an interception himself and completing 0 of 2 third down attempts. But once settled, he found his groove for 10 straight running plays, before showing exactly the kind of passing at speed his college days brought him acclaim for, breaking sharply right on a sweep before unleashing a long dart that Jack Snyder caught, diving backwards at the goalline.

Heading into the fourth quarter, Bluth Corporation then found themselves 16 points down, but began putting together sequences for a 12 play drive than Richard Anthis converted with an acrobatic leap from two yards out; he then caught a neat two point conversion that crucially kept the gap to within one score. Another 8 points would tie it up, and they won the onside kick with almost laughable ease. Wells kept the ball away from the dangerous Buffalostani cornerbacks with short passes and handoffs to his running back corps. Only at the last hurdle did he almost fall, with two incompletions, and a failed attempt at a sneak, from the three yard line.

At fourth and three they had to go for it, and Anthis - who scored all 16 of his team's fourth quarter points - converted in fine style, trampling two tacklers and lunging past a third. But a two point attempt to Hayes was safely defended by Joe Allen. Forced to try another onside kick with few grains left in their timer, Bluth Corporation once again recovered the attempt, but this time ran out of options on their drive. Breathless Buffalostani fans watched - or, perhaps, found themselves unable to watch - as their opponents called their final timeout and brought in the dependable Shipley for a 51 yard attempt. He carefully measured out his run - but his foot never had a chance to strike the ball, as White was unable to cleanly take Terry Hobbs's snap.

Perhaps inevitably it was Harris, who returned, rushed and passed for touchdowns, as well as kicking three extra points, who took the brunt of the post-game adulation, but he was quick to point out the unity of a diverse team had contributed on offence, defence and special teams to the memorable victory. Bill Jackson's 117 rushing yards came without a touchdown, but perhaps more impressively they came without being stopped for loss once. Jack Snyder was shutdown for much of the game but rallied with a fantastic touchdown catch as well as putting in good yards and one tackle on special teams.

On defence, John Foster is quickly proving one of the most dangerous cornerbacks on show this tournament; he picked off Wells three times in the first half, and then was not tested a single time in the second. Feared tight end Kyler Hayes was limited to one reception thanks to superb coverage from Sam Irons, while Sam Miller had four tackles behind the line of scrimmage. And then there was Hill, one moment chasing down Winters to prevent a home run, the next blitzing Wells from the strong side, and finally falling on the fumbled snap to secure the final possession and a win in the biggest game of their lives for the young men of Buffalostan.
Last edited by Buffalostan on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Fanboyists
Senator

Founded: Sep 21, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Fanboyists » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:28 pm

The coach walked in with the player sitting silently.

"I don't fault you guys. They were good, I'll give 'em that. And you all played pretty well after an exhausting group stage." He paused.

"But for once, would it kill us to win a playoff game? Three trips to these things, and we don't have a single win to show for it. I'll be damned if we keep getting assigned to play former championship teams, we still have to beat 'em if we want to be champions. Or maybe we could just tie up qualification nice and quickly and quietly, without the drama. For once."

The players nodded mutely. The game hadn't actually been as bad as the score had indicated; they had played a close game against the then-reigning number-one in the world until their opponents had pulled away late in the game.

Smart nodded, and then noted "As plenty of papers are gonna note, 'at least we made the playoffs.' But that's not enough. You know how it is. It's back to work, guys, for another year or two." He looked around the silent locker-room one last time, and then walked out quietly.

The team got up to bring it all together and break things down. Haanryk Stahlburg brough his helmet up into the middle of the group.

"Guys, I don't know about you, but fuck what the papers say. There's nothing to be proud of here. And I think I speak for all of us here when I say I'm sick of being just another also-ran. I'm sick of being someone else's win. I'm sick of disappointing everyone. I'm tired of getting laughed at as the team that can't make it past the Round of Sixteen. Sick. Of. It." He looked around the room, face impassive.

Victor nodded in agreement. "Coach was understatin' when he said we've got work to do. We've got a shit-load of work to do. We all know it. I know none of us is settling for another year like this one."

The team noted their agreement as one.

With that, Stahlburg, Dunbar, Nurdson, Wurfytur, Daalhulm, and Laansur all began, with the team following:

"Hey, World, Hey, World! See ya next year!
We gonna beat the hell outta you, ya hear?
Gonna slam y'all, smash y'all, beat y'all far and near!
We gonna give you hell; WE'RE THE VOLUNTEERS!"

"Back to work."
Last edited by The Fanboyists on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the Ajax role-playing community!
Ottonia, Draakur, and Untsangazar in Ajax
Terefuxe, formerly Allamunnic States (NSSport)

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:41 pm

QSPN.com/World Bowl 12

Mayors push Sharks to limit, but Frank Jackson's last second FG saves day.

The defenses reigned in the quarterfinal between Qazox and Whittoria, as neither team gained more than 200 yards of offense. After a 2nd half that saw just 4 total first downs and 11 punts, a 45-yard punt return by Ryan Ulmac set the Sharks up at mid-field with :52 to go. A 7-yard run on 3rd and 6 by Ryan Jackson put the ball at the Whittoria 39 with 9 seconds left. Coach Davis Grahame called a the final timeout and sent Frank Jackson in for a 56-yd FG. Before this Qazoxian kickers had been only 3 for 16 from 50+ yards in the past 4 World Bowls so the Sharks fans were adequitely worried. Jackson had not yet attempted a 50+yd FG this World Bowl but he confidently stepped out to kick. The kick went off the left post, but Whittoria's coach Alex Whitt had called time-out just before the snap. On the 2nd attempt, Jackson sailed it through, and Qazox was into the World Bowl Semifinals to face Buffalostan, the Cinderellas of the World Bowl.

BOX SCORE
Whittoria  7  0  3  0   10
Qazox 3 7 0 3 13

SCORING SUMMARY
First quarter
WHT- 11 yd TD Pass by Tim Webb to Kevin Anderson; Buck Henry PAT good. (7:03) 7-0 Whittoria
QZX- 39 yd FG by Frank Jackson (2:18) 7-3 Rennidan
Second quarter
QZX- 9 yd TD Pass by Thomas Braddock to Jack Hesse; Frank Jackson PAT good (4:02) 10-7 Qazox
Third quarter
WHT- 44 yd FG by Buck Henry (6:03) 10-10
Fourth quarter
QZX- 56 yd by Frank Jackson PAT good. (0:03) 13-10 Qazox

NEW BRUXEN HOTEL and CASINO playoff lines
8 F1 Insanity vs 4 Krytenia Krytenia -4.5
10 Buffalostan vs 3 Qazox Qazox -6.5
Last edited by Qazox on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Andossa Se Mitrin Vega » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:19 am

And this is another Yumbo Jumbo RP Cutoff

And the flavor is Giant Slaying Grape Sour Shock. In memory of the Gridiron Giants who fell in the quarters.

And now to see who still has a chance for a championship...

F1 Insanity 23, Krytenia 16

Buffalostan 9, Qazox 10

Third Place game
Krytenia vs Buffalostan @ Stadii Se Draggonnii Arcea, Errion Vega

Championship game
F1 Insanity vs Qazox @ Yumbo Jumbo Sports Complex, Carrington
Last edited by Andossa Se Mitrin Vega on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champions: AORBC II (Women's Champs); AOHC IV; Cup of Harmony 44, 49, & 54; Baptism of Iron VBrevity Challenge Cup 3
Host: Draggonnii Inviyatii; BoF 17 ; World Bowl XII; BoF43 (with K&P);World Cup 58 (with QPeMA)World Cup 61 (with Valanora)

Those of you whom we consider friends and respect here on NS are welcome to join us on FB. Simply TG me and We will set it in motion.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:06 pm

One win to rule them all?

After the Mulcaheys had played their final group game, scraping an overtime tie, there were few who would have predicted this (we never get tired of saying this), but F1-Insanity's prime football team, the Mulcaheys, have defeated Krytenia 23-16 and now move on to the World Bowl championship game. Opponents will be Qazox, who in a very tight game defeated surprise package Buffalostan 10-9.

F1-Insanity 3   7   7   6    23
Krytenia 7 0 6 3 16

The game
The Mulcaheys fell a touchdown behind on Krytenia's second drive. Some observers might have started to worry whether it was the erratic Mulcaheys who had shown up for the game, and the early score might lead to a blowout. But fortunately for our favorites, no such thing happened. In fact, it was the last touchdown Krytenia would score all game. Halfway the first quarter, with the Mulcaheys on 4th and 15 at the Krytenia 21, coach Massey decided to go for three and kicker Zimmerman duly converted the 37 yard field goal attempt to make the score 3-7.

Then, in the final drive of the first half the Mulcaheys took the lead in the game, a lead which would never be surrendered, quarterback Mable with two fakes which somehow split the defense and Mable himself runs it in for the touchdown 10-7.

Observers will have wondered what on earth coach Massey was thinking in the second half, lining up what looked like an onside kick formation. It turned out to be a regular kickoff, which was picked up but the runner fumbled the ball upon being tackled and the Mulcaheys recovered at the Krytenia 32. One old man looking at the big screen in the center of Mulcahey City commented he didn't think it should be legal to do so. It was later established he wasn't a football fan but just an annoying old man not a member of the ruling National Tirefitter Party.

Three plays later, and touchdown Mulcaheys with Mazzucco bringing home another 6 points, having been passed the ball by Mable into the endzone. The score now at 17-7. Though the Mulcaheys defense was good in the third quarter, it wasn't great, and Krytenia's kicker was great, hammering home two field goals, from 57 and 58 yards respectively to make it 17-13. And it got tighter in the early fourth quarter, with another field goal this time from 42 yards making it 17-16.

With 4.05 remaining, the Mulcaheys made another play action. What looked like was going to be a run, turned out to be a pass and left Saint-Cyr wide open, and he was only stopped on the 2 yard line. One play later it was a touchdown. The score now at 23-16, an extra point could make it 8 point difference, but coach Massey apparently wanted to make it a two play game so decided to go for two. The attempt failed as Mable's pass was too high for any of the three receivers packed on the left side off the end zone. But fortunately for our favorites, Krytenia did not manage to get another first down and the game eventually ran out at 23-16.

Coach Massey can barely believe it
"I hate to say this, but this is unbelievable". When you are in the half of the schedule with Sarzonia, Krytenia and Delaclava in it do you expect to come out on top? I mean, one day we are going to win this thing, which is what I always said, but is it gonna be this time? Can it be? I don't believe we are in the championship game already, and yet we are.

Just one more win, and if we do win it, and this will be the hardest game we ever played, then it will be absolutely amazing. This could be the one win to rule them all, the one win to find them, one win to bring them all an in the darkness... oh wait I got carried away there. Let's play this game first. Sharks are hard to beat, but maybe our boat is big enough, just maybe..."
Last edited by F1-Insanity on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F1-Insanity Factbook
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:

Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street

Buffalostan
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffalostan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Game Review - Semifinals

LINE  1   2   3   4   F
BUF
0 6 3 0 9
QZX
0 0 7 3 10
BOX BUF QZX

2 Bill Jackson 3 yard pass from Tom Harris (kick failed) 6 0
3 Mike Hammond 72 yard pass from Thomas Braddock (Frank Jackson kick) 6 7
Tom Harris 39 yard field goal 9 7
4 Frank Jackson 49 yard field goal 9 10

One bemusing statistic above all else illustrated the gulf in experience between the two teams that took to the Stadii Se Draggonnii Arcea for a coveted place in the final of World Bowl XII: Qazox had appeared in more World Bowl tournaments (13, including the Gridiron World Championship later renamed World Bowl 0) than Buffalostan had played games of international handegg (10, with an 8-2 record). Yet the Sharks had not made it to a final since World Bowl V, while the Buffalostanis had amassed a reputation as, if not giant killers, at least slayers of the moderately large. And so, a close encounter had been anticipated by many. Few anticipated it being so close.

One point - and, in the final event, one yard - separated Buffalostan from an unheralded trip to the World Bowl finals in a game that will probably be remembered for the final play, on which Tom Harris scrambled for 29 yards before being brought down inches from the Qazox goal line. Critics would charge that it was vindication of their argument that it was reckless to send a team without a specialist placekicker to a World Bowl competition, but even the most scornful would have found themselves struggling to take task with the young quarterback.

Harris, who entered the tournament fourth on the depth chart at quarterback, and intended to be used mainly as a kicker and return specialist in the absence of a dedicated special teams unit, saw limited playing time in the group stages following Richard Fischer's tournament ending injury, and then stepped up to play a key role in the win over Bluth Corporation once John Dunn fell, also injured, and Ed Loughlin failed to pass muster. His kicking throughout the tournament had been somewhat variable, missing a few easy PATs but making some clutch game winners.

But Buffalostan's final drive ran out of steam, and time, and found itself on the 30 yard line with 3 seconds left, having used the final timeout. A 47 yard field goal attempt was way beyond the range of anything Harris had ever kicked - his third quarter 39 yarder tying his personal best and returning the lead to the underdogs before Frank Jackson surpassed with a booming 49 yard kick for the final, decisive points - and Harris was 1 for 3 on kicks, missing a 24 yard attempt and a PAT in the poor conditions. Besides, all good Buffalostanis have a pathological aversion to 47 yard field goal attempts. Rather than risk sending it wide right and setting in motion an unlikely chain of events involving turkey, Christina Ricci, and the toilets at a bus station, the team had to go for it.

Had Harris's run succeeded - the play called for was a passing play to Ron Dahlstrom, who had been a dominant receiver over the course of the game, but he tripped and fell early in his route and was hopelessly out of position, forcing the quarterback to scramble - it would have been a memorable conclusion, but there was also justice to his being tackled just short, epitomising the stalwart defence both teams had put up in the course of a rain-soaked encounter.

Both teams combined for just 19 points, and there was only one score in the entire first half, a well executed play-action that saw Harris hold his nerve in the face of a massive zone blitz to hit the open Bill Jackson, who then muscled through two tackles to give Buffalostan a 6 point lead. Harris missed the ensuing PAT, and later in the half failed to even make contact with a short field goal attempt after a storming run from Jackson, casting away 4 points that would later be crucial.

The Buffalostani secondary initially had little trouble adapting to Qazox's unfamiliar passing attack (both teams taking two interceptions, though none of those four picks resulted in any yards), as both teams experienced a problem perhaps common to many teams on a deep World Bowl run. With every game the defensive coordinators had acquired more game tape, and although Thomas Braddock finished with 290 yards, he was forced to throw 53 attempts. In contrast, the Sharks ran the ball for only 38 yards, while Harris finished with more rushing yards (112) than passing (102). Jackson led the way with 144 yards along the ground, but neither 300+ yard offence yielded more than one touchdown.

Qazox's came on a game-turning big play. The first half shutout of the offensively minded Sharks must have come as a humiliation, but they responded in similarly cheek burning fashion. One missed assignment in coverage led to a breakaway for Mike Hammond, who received a 20 yard pass over the middle with oceans of space to run it in from the halfway line. After Harris retook the lead on a 39 yard attempt, Qazox's drive took them into the fourth quarter but forced a kick of 49 yards. Frank Jackson, who missed one attempt in the first half, sent this over with powerful ease and, although Buffalostan came close, it would prove the gamewinner.

On their final drive Harris threw just one completion and was almost intercepted when Mohammed Al-Tabiq spilled a take in the endzone ahead of Kyle Caudill, but with the next long pass attempt also going incomplete, the final decision not to kick was always going to be a risky call. In the event, he quickly picked up a knockdown block of Sean Holmes from Johannes Thor Gunnlaugsson while Bill Jackson came off his route to clear away the blitzing Brad Branson. Harris's pace got him through the linebacker corps, dodging two tackles and hurdling a third, but after being juked David Rhoan managed to dive backwards and trap Harris's ankles.

He stretched forward but had no momentum and was unable to break the plane before the ball was dislodged from his hands by Jason Halvoski's legs. Officially, the play came up 1 yard short, though in reality it was perhaps little more than a foot shy of what would have been needed. The ball bounced out of bounds, but with the game clock dead it proved irrelevant, and as the referees confirmed he was short, Sharks players flooded the field in glee. They will play F1-Insanity, playing in their fourth World Bowl playoffs but first final, while Buffalostan take on Krytenia, also relative novices in just their third tournament and first playoff run, for a third place consolation effort.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:56 pm

QSPN.com/World Bowl 12

Last second dive fails as Sharks go to World Bowl finals.

For all the of the recriminations the Sharks' defense has been defined by the past decade or so, they've changed it around this time around. On the final play of the game, Buffalostan's QB and kicker Tom Harris, due to injuries to their kicker and punter prior to the semifinal; scrambled 29 yards with no time left, being held out of the endzone on a jarring tackle by Mark Sylvester, saving the slim 1 point lead and sending Qazox in the World Bowl Final for the first time in 14 years.

Once again this was a defensive battle, as Qazox and Buffalostan were held to under 250 yards and only one 1st half score, a 3-yd TD reception by Bill Johnson midway through the 2nd quarter to put the cinderella's up 6-0. But a recurring theme, being Tom Harris' kicking adventures; kept Qazox in the game. Early in the 3rd quarter, a rare mistake by the Buffalostan safteies allowed Mike Hammond to slip by for a 72 yard TD on the 4th play from scrimmage in the 2nd half made it 7-6. After a carrer long 39 yard FG by Harris concluded the 3rd quarter witha 9-7 score, Thomas Braddock lead a 11 play, 58 yard drive that took 7:11 off the clock, that started at the Qazox 10 yard line; leading to 49 yard FG by Frank Jackson with just under 6 minutes left before the last ditch attempt by Harris.

Now Qazox will face F1 Insanity in the finals, and The Mulcaheys have been a tough team to face in the World Bowl, having knocked off Delaclava, Krytenia and Karita to reach the finals; no slouches there. Once again the defenses will be key, and the way the Sharks defense have played in these playoffs; expect a close game with Frank Jackson's leg being key as a last minute FG will likely decide it.

BOX SCORE
Buffalostan  0  6  3  0    9
Qazox 0 0 7 3 10

SCORING SUMMARY
First quarter
NONE
Second quarter
BUF- 3 yard TD pass from Tom Harris to Bill Jackson (kick failed) (6:02) 6-0 Buffalostan
Third quarter
QZX- 72 yard TD pass from Thomas Braddock to Mike Hammond (Frank Jackson PAT Good) (13:42) 7-6 Qazox
BUF- 39 yd FG by Tom Harris (8:21) 9-7 Buffalostan
Fourth quarter
QZX- 49 yd FG by Frank Jackson (5:44) 10-9 Qazox

NEW BRUXEN HOTEL and CASINO playoff lines
3rd place Game:
10 Buffalostan vs 4 Krytenia Buffalostan -1.5
CHAMPIONSHIP:
8 F1 Insanity vs 3 Qazox Qazox -3.5

(ooc: my 2500th post!)
Last edited by Qazox on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Andossa Se Mitrin Vega » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:23 am

The Final Yumbo Jumbo RP Cutoff.

Final Flavor of the Day: Chocolate-Covered Cherry Championship Chill. Thank you everyone for what has been a great World Bowl XII.

And Now The Results.

Third Place Game.

Krytenia 26, Buffalostan 21
Congrats to both of you for exceding expectations and making it this far.

Championship Game

F1 Insanity 24, Qazox 17.
Congratulations to F1 Insanity on their Championship and to Qazox for a nice run to 2nd.

Thanks again to everyone.
Last edited by Andossa Se Mitrin Vega on Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:55 pm

QSPN.com/World Bowl 12

The Mulcaheys' end Sharks run with last mintue TD.

For 3 playoff games, the Sharks' defense held 4th quarter challenges at bay, but the odds eventually catch up to everyone, as Damon Mable lead F1 Insanity on a 12 play, 77 yard drive to score a TD with 14 seconds left.

BOX SCORE
F1 Insanity  3  7  7  7   24
Qazox 0 7 7 3 17

SCORING SUMMARY
First quarter
F1I- 39 yd FG by Walter Zimmerman (4:23) 3-0 F1 Insanity
Second quarter
QZX- 7 yd TD run by Ryan Jackson; (Frank Jackson PAT good) (13:42) 7-3 Qazox
F1I- 53 yd TD pass by Damon Mable to Laurent Saint-Cyr; (Walter Zimmerman PAT Good) (7:56) 10-7 F1 Insanity
Third quarter
QZX- 24 yd TD pass by Thomas Braddock to Mike West; (Frank Jackson PAT good) (9:53) 14-10 Qazox
F1I- 5 yd TD pass by Damon Mable to Etienne MacDonald, (Walter Zimmerman PAT Good) (5:55) 17-14 F1 Insanity
Fourth quarter
QZX- 32 yd FG by Frank Jackson (6:53) 17-17
F1I- 5 yd TD pass by Damon Mable to Etienne MacDonald, (Walter Zimmerman PAT Good) (0:14) 24-17 F1 Insanity

Congrats to F1 Insanity.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

F1-Insanity
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:47 am

Mulcaheys victorious

Our nation's dear leader Father Mulcahey has sent his personal congratulations to the F1-Insanity Mulcaheys football team after their World Bowl Championship Game Victory over Qazox. A late touchdown by MacDonald on a Mable pass from 5 yards gave our team a 24-17 lead which was confirmed when a last gasp desperate hail-mary pass was intercepted.

Having come into the playoff phase with one of the worst group stage records, the Mulcahey surprised everyone with four victories against teams mostly considered superior, on paper at least.

Father Mulcahey saw his decision to purge the government, several departments and the sports network after the farcical end to the last World Bowl, vindicated.

Coach Massey delivers on promise
Coach Massey looked bigger than ever before when he reminded the journalists, who had recently questioned his mental sanity, of the promise he had made when he had been appointed the Mulcaheys coach just before the Baptism of Iron, all those years ago. "I told you that one day we were going to win the World Bowl, in it to win it so to speak, and you all laughed at me. What do you have to say now, losers? Anyway, I ain't staying to answer questions but will go out with my players to celebrate. I have seen this all-you-can-eat restaurant near here, and that's where we will be."
F1-Insanity Factbook

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports