NATION

PASSWORD

Stop Being Offended On My Behalf

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Is Cultural Appropriation Bullshirt?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 284

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Stop Being Offended On My Behalf

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:04 pm

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=478454

So, embarrassingly, when trying to previously create this thread, I clicked post instead of Save Draft :oops: :oops: :oops:

And even though my only link that I had gotten around to posting was from "My Slut Blog" (I didn't notice that at the time :oops: :oops: :oops: ) That slut article still helps make my point, so I'm posting it again

What a clusterfuck of embarrassment.

Okay, so...
What's the best possible discussion we can have in the week before Christmas? A discussion about what is and isn't racist. Let's talk racism:

Let's talk about cultural appropriation. The concept of cultural appropriation is bullshit.

When Katy Perry wore a kimono, a wh[code][/code]ole bunch of self-rightous white people lost their shit about cultural appropriation.
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ut/281805/
https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2013/ ... ri18n=true
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... wards-fuss
https://www.nme.com/news/music/katy-per ... 087931?amp

Whilst self-righteous white people were offended by Katy's choice of dress, Japanese people couldn't give a shit. In fact, many of them are honoured that she thought their culture was worthy of her wardrobe.

Here we have an article from My Slut Box. Whilst the average NSer is too smart to take political/historical advice from a website called my slut box, the same can't be said about the general public. Here we have a woman of colour stating that it's unacceptable to dress in a kimono, but dressing up as Zeus or Aphrodite is acceptable, because the Greeks were never oppressed. I'm sorry, in what alternate universe were the Japanese of modern history more oppressed than the Greeks. In fact, the Japanese were the oppressors, the people doing the oppression. Meanwhile, the Greeks suffered under 400 years of Ottoman rule, which ended within 2 decades of the end of American slavery. Further, decades after that, the Greeks were victims of the Armenian genocide. Whoever wrote that article is either extremely misinformed of history, or a liar.
https://myslutbox.com/how-to-avoid-cultural-appropriation-this-halloween/
So what do I, as a Greek, think of kids who dress up like Zeus or Aphrodite? I couldn't give a shit. If it makes you happy, go for it. In fact, I'm honoured that you think that Greek culture is worthy of replication. A lot of Greeks would agree with me. And we don't need self-righteous white people to be offended on my behalf. Isn't it racist to tell us what to be offended by?

I could on and on, but I get you think you the gist. Please stop being offended on other's people's behalf. We ethnic minorities have our own brains and we don't need white people to serve to serve as our brain. What's your take on all this?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm pretty left-of-centre in my views, but Cultural Appropriation is a codswallop.

If an asian dude wants to wear dreadlocks or a white woman likes wearing traditional headgear of another culture, I say let them. Freedom is cool like that.

Now there are some cases where it is certainly on-the-nose for cultural reasons (such as wearing blackface and the like) but the response to that should be derision for lack of tact and empathy. Being an arse should be looked down on, but not just dressing up for harmless fun or fashion.

Plai Nukchai
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Plai Nukchai » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:15 pm

I think for the poll you should have a "On some Occasions" option, because, despite the fact that in my opinion as an Asian, I don't care, and don't think it's a big deal. But there are a rare few genuine occasions in which a person might attempt to deliberately attack someones culture, like blackface for example, but stuff like the is extreme, rare, and the only thing I know of that constitutes cultural appropriation.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:34 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:I could on and on, but I get you think you the gist. Please stop being offended on other's people's behalf. We ethnic minorities have our own brains and we don't need white people to serve to serve as our brain. What's your take on all this?

I don't know about anyone else but I've been an ethnic minority, I'm pretty fine with someone else being offended by something that's offensive to me.

My take is that people are annoyed that they're being told what they're doing may be racist, but instead of looking critically at the situation the racist person decides everyone else has to be in the wrong. In general.

Teachian
Envoy

Founded: Sep 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Teachian » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:38 pm

I think there are elements of cultural appropriation that are problematic, but I also think it’s current popular form and medium barely touches on the relevant issues.

Skimming over the fact that the Twitter and blog crowd isn’t the largest group, just the loudest, I think “cultural appropriation” often gets applied pretty amateurishly. Case and point your example, in which they simplified history and ignored the opinions of people whose culture was actually involved in preference for their own. Culture has been transmitted for all of human history, and it’s only getting easier. People’s curiosity should be a chance to teach them about something new and meaningful, and thus build a stronger bond to whole new place. Focusing specifically or solely on race of all things as a metric of what’s okay is just drawing arbitrary lines in the sand.
Was looking for the washroom, somehow became president

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:41 pm

Heloin wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I could on and on, but I get you think you the gist. Please stop being offended on other's people's behalf. We ethnic minorities have our own brains and we don't need white people to serve to serve as our brain. What's your take on all this?

I don't know about anyone else but I've been an ethnic minority, I'm pretty fine with someone else being offended by something that's offensive to me.

My take is that people are annoyed that they're being told what they're doing may be racist, but instead of looking critically at the situation the racist person decides everyone else has to be in the wrong. In general.
It's seriously kind of ridiculous when folks take the worst examples and try to make em emblematic of a whole concept, since it ends up going from the totally indefensible bit about cultural appropriation regarding japan (which is almost always wrong because yeah, you *kiiiiinda* can't culturally appropriate the japanese any more than you can the british) into naming American weapon systems after aboriginal tribes being a-ok.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:44 pm

Still tho this touches on a really important topic: why does japan end up getting some seriously undeserved passes? No hate to the japanese themselves of course, but our collective (and I don't mean just the lot of us here, I mean like *everyone*) weebery has basically become akin to war-crime denial.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:45 pm

Kubra wrote:Still tho this touches on a really important topic: why does japan end up getting some seriously undeserved passes? No hate to the japanese themselves of course, but our collective (and I don't mean just the lot of us here, I mean like *everyone*) weebery has basically become akin to war-crime denial.

It’s hard to be mad at the creators of anime.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:47 pm

Galloism wrote:
Kubra wrote:Still tho this touches on a really important topic: why does japan end up getting some seriously undeserved passes? No hate to the japanese themselves of course, but our collective (and I don't mean just the lot of us here, I mean like *everyone*) weebery has basically become akin to war-crime denial.

It’s hard to be mad at the creators of anime.
I can be, because I can't watch it any more. There's just too much dreck now. Riddle me this bat man, if anime is so great why hasn't oyasumi punpun been green lit for one?
Last edited by Kubra on Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade J. Posadas

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:49 pm

Strong economy, cold war allies, Anime and video games. Then compound that with the whole nuking them bit.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:51 pm

Heloin wrote:

Strong economy, cold war allies, Anime and video games. Then compound that with the whole nuking them bit.
Don't give me that, if it was berlin instead of hiroshima that got nuked we'd all be saying "well, I mean, they had it coming"
Comrade J. Posadas

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:54 pm

Kubra wrote:
Heloin wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I've been an ethnic minority, I'm pretty fine with someone else being offended by something that's offensive to me.

It's seriously kind of ridiculous when folks take the worst examples and try to make em emblematic of a whole concept, since it ends up going from the totally indefensible bit about cultural appropriation regarding japan (which is almost always wrong because yeah, you *kiiiiinda* can't culturally appropriate the japanese any more than you can the british) into naming American weapon systems after aboriginal tribes being a-ok.

Honestly cultural appropriation in and of itself isn't a negative thing, it's kinda just how society and history works. The points were things get iffy come less down to say appropriation of Japanese or (most) European cultures and more to when it gets to historically colonised cultures. But it's not a hard line, more of an awfully murky blur.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:54 pm

Heloin wrote:

The problem is when people get offended on a minority's behalf when said minority doesn't find it offensive.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:56 pm

Kubra wrote:
Heloin wrote:Strong economy, cold war allies, Anime and video games. Then compound that with the whole nuking them bit.
Don't give me that, if it was berlin instead of hiroshima that got nuked we'd all be saying "well, I mean, they had it coming"

That was a joke answer. There is no reasonable answer to why Japan almost gets a free pass for some of the worst atrocities ever committed.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Heloin wrote:
Kubra wrote: It's seriously kind of ridiculous when folks take the worst examples and try to make em emblematic of a whole concept, since it ends up going from the totally indefensible bit about cultural appropriation regarding japan (which is almost always wrong because yeah, you *kiiiiinda* can't culturally appropriate the japanese any more than you can the british) into naming American weapon systems after aboriginal tribes being a-ok.

Honestly cultural appropriation in and of itself isn't a negative thing, it's kinda just how society and history works. The points were things get iffy come less down to say appropriation of Japanese or (most) European cultures and more to when it gets to historically colonised cultures. But it's not a hard line, more of an awfully murky blur.
Well y'know it's one of those social things, like distinguishing between banter and str8 up verbal bullying. You gotta have the social sense for it.
Y'know, I brought up the example of naming american weapon systems after aboriginal tribes, and you can see where folks would take gumption with that. it's like "fuck off, you *conquered* us and now you're rubbing it in". Dressing up in kimono's is not just inoffensive, getting people to wear kimono's and think their is basically part of japanese foreign policy, and not just when they were doing so uh, rather militarily.
Comrade J. Posadas

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Heloin wrote:
Kubra wrote: Don't give me that, if it was berlin instead of hiroshima that got nuked we'd all be saying "well, I mean, they had it coming"

That was a joke answer. There is no reasonable answer to why Japan almost gets a free pass for some of the worst atrocities ever committed.
And that too was a joke answer. I like Germans, in such a timeline I'd deffo be the guy saying they've had enough and everyone should lay off.
Comrade J. Posadas

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:03 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Heloin wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I've been an ethnic minority, I'm pretty fine with someone else being offended by something that's offensive to me.

The problem is when people get offended on a minority's behalf when said minority doesn't find it offensive.

Much less of a problem then people thinking that doing something offensive is fine honestly.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:03 pm

Kubra wrote:
Heloin wrote:That was a joke answer. There is no reasonable answer to why Japan almost gets a free pass for some of the worst atrocities ever committed.
And that too was a joke answer. I like Germans, in such a timeline I'd deffo be the guy saying they've had enough and everyone should lay off.

"We taught them a lesson in 1918 and they've hardly bothered us since then."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:04 pm

Kubra wrote:
Heloin wrote:Honestly cultural appropriation in and of itself isn't a negative thing, it's kinda just how society and history works. The points were things get iffy come less down to say appropriation of Japanese or (most) European cultures and more to when it gets to historically colonised cultures. But it's not a hard line, more of an awfully murky blur.
Well y'know it's one of those social things, like distinguishing between banter and str8 up verbal bullying. You gotta have the social sense for it.
Y'know, I brought up the example of naming american weapon systems after aboriginal tribes, and you can see where folks would take gumption with that. it's like "fuck off, you *conquered* us and now you're rubbing it in".

That's actually a respect thing. American Indians contributed a shitload to American military tactics, strategy and culture.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:05 pm

Aclion wrote:
Kubra wrote: Well y'know it's one of those social things, like distinguishing between banter and str8 up verbal bullying. You gotta have the social sense for it.
Y'know, I brought up the example of naming american weapon systems after aboriginal tribes, and you can see where folks would take gumption with that. it's like "fuck off, you *conquered* us and now you're rubbing it in".

That's actually a respect thing. American Indians contributed a shitload to American military tactics, strategy and culture.
Oh yeah, the romans learned a crap ton from carthaginian tactics, but you wouldn't catch carthaginians saying "well, they at least respected us that much".
Comrade J. Posadas

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Aclion wrote:
Kubra wrote: Well y'know it's one of those social things, like distinguishing between banter and str8 up verbal bullying. You gotta have the social sense for it.

"We killed you're people off and forced you onto reservations and into abject poverty. So we're going to make it up by naming a helicopter after you."

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Kubra wrote: And that too was a joke answer. I like Germans, in such a timeline I'd deffo be the guy saying they've had enough and everyone should lay off.

"We taught them a lesson in 1918 and they've hardly bothered us since then."
ohhhhhh you could swap out 1918 with 1945 and it wouldn't even be a joke answer. Lovely place, truly lovely.
Comrade J. Posadas

Zyris
Attaché

Founded: Dec 18, 2017
Capitalizt

Postby Zyris » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:09 pm

I find people who get easily offended as inferior beings and inadequate, weak, and evolutionarily devolved... Key word there being easily.

You know that evolutionary chart that starts with an ape and ends with an upright man, then afterwards there is a sloth or some depiction of man who has gotten weak... That is them.
Last edited by Zyris on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lo! Here I lay upon the sands of fate,
With sparks aglow and new hopes await,
From this light we shall levitate,
And call forth the glorious Abydos state.

Grand Luxarch and Founder of Abydos

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:12 pm

Heloin wrote:
Aclion wrote:That's actually a respect thing. American Indians contributed a shitload to American military tactics, strategy and culture.

"We killed you're people off and forced you onto reservations and into abject poverty. So we're going to make it up by naming a helicopter after you."

Sounds pretty bad when you pretend American Indians are like the Animals of Farthing Wood and not a vast group of nation states.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:12 pm

As long as it's done respectfully it's a non-issue. American liberal ideas about what's acceptable and what isn't are not applicable to any and all circumstances.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General