NATION

PASSWORD

Is it time for the US to split up?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should the United States split up?

Yes, it is time to go our separate ways
23%
No, we are better off united
77%

Total votes : 164

Vazkin
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Is it time for the US to split up?

Postby Vazkin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:49 am

With the 2020 election coming up and the political environment as toxic as ever, would the US be better off just splitting up?

If you believe we should split up, how many pieces should the US split up into and why do you think this?

If you do not believe we should split up, why do you think we are better off as a whole?

I am not completely serious about this, I am simply curious on what other people's opinions are. Also sorry if this question has already been asked on another thread.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:50 am

"Sherman, get the torches."
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:00 am

Several threads on it already.

IMO it's not possible.
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

Cantelo
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cantelo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:01 am

There is zero benefit to the West if the US ever split up, and in fact it would leave it a thousand times more vulnerable to threats from China and Russia. The idea that the US should split up because reasons is very...naive and shows zero awareness of geopolitics
Forever a Pilgrim; Oviedo - Santiago de Compostela 370km
Kingdom of Cantelo - Reín de Cantelo - Regne de Cantelo - Reialme de Cantelo
At a Glance | Cardona Journal | Queen Isabella I | Parliament of Cantelo | National Anthem of Cantelo
I like making flags for fun, shoot me a telegram if you’d like one made!
Spanish-American college student with an addiction to sushi. Political Compass

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 am

Sure why not, Consent of the governed and all that.

I think a legal method of succession should be added to the constitution. Maybe two elections 5 years apart with a 60 - 40 majority for succession required.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:04 am

Yes.
if you like my posts please make sure to downvote my factbooks.
DON'T CLICK
"lmao child you come into MY region"
no, this nation does not represent my
views. i cannot believe i have to clarify this

for RPers
my views explained

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:05 am

I don't think that will be happening. Speaking as a non-American, I don't really see the point in splitting.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:05 am

Cantelo wrote:There is zero benefit to the West if the US ever split up, and in fact it would leave it a thousand times more vulnerable to threats from China and Russia. The idea that the US should split up because reasons is very...naive and shows zero awareness of geopolitics

Indeed, without the United States we wouldn't have anyone to invade Iraq because of "biblical prophecy"!
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

Cantelo
Diplomat

Postby Cantelo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:08 am

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:
Cantelo wrote:There is zero benefit to the West if the US ever split up, and in fact it would leave it a thousand times more vulnerable to threats from China and Russia. The idea that the US should split up because reasons is very...naive and shows zero awareness of geopolitics

Indeed, without the United States we wouldn't have anyone to invade Iraq because of "biblical prophecy"!

Muh 2004 political joke still make much funny
At a Glance | Cardona Journal | Queen Isabella I | Parliament of Cantelo | National Anthem of Cantelo

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:10 am

Cantelo wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:Indeed, without the United States we wouldn't have anyone to invade Iraq because of "biblical prophecy"!

Imagine thinking it's a joke
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

Cantelo
Diplomat

Postby Cantelo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:12 am

Cantelo wrote:

Imagine thinking it's a joke

Well it certainly wasn’t written as a deadpan statement and it’s clear to see

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:14 am

Cantelo wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:Imagine thinking it's a joke

Well it certainly wasn’t written as a deadpan statement and it’s clear to see

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... eorge-bush
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:17 am

Nuroblav wrote:I don't think that will be happening. Speaking as a non-American, I don't really see the point in splitting.

We probably aren't going to split, but we do have a really bad partisan divide that isn't going to end well.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:24 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Nuroblav wrote:I don't think that will be happening. Speaking as a non-American, I don't really see the point in splitting.

We probably aren't going to split, but we do have a really bad partisan divide that isn't going to end well.

As a Canadian, you are very much right.

While I do personally want a weaker USA, as it would mean that we won't be as horribly Finlandized as we currently are, I recognize that a weakening of the US, either by splitting up, or by a civil war, or by other factors would almost definitely fuck us over just because we are so interlinked.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:25 am

Luziyca wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:We probably aren't going to split, but we do have a really bad partisan divide that isn't going to end well.

As a Canadian, you are very much right.

While I do personally want a weaker USA, as it would mean that we won't be as horribly Finlandized as we currently are, I recognize that a weakening of the US, either by splitting up, or by a civil war, or by other factors would almost definitely fuck us over just because we are so interlinked.

More reason for the US to split up.
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:28 am

Luziyca wrote:As a Canadian, you are very much right.

You have something against Canada?

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:28 am

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:More reason for the US to split up.

You have something against Canada?

Who doesn't?
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:30 am

Time for Canada to annex the southern rebels.

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:You have something against Canada?

Who doesn't?

Most people.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:32 am

Luziyca wrote:As a Canadian, you are very much right.

If the USA split up right now, we'd be megafucked, because according to this list, the United States is by far our largest trading partner. If we measure trade with the next largest, the EU, is 5.3 times smaller than that of the United States, and if we exclude the EU, then trade with China is 7.9 times smaller than that of the trade between Canada and the USA.

While sure, a weaker USA would definitely force Canada to find other trade partners, it would fuck us over in the short-term. It'd be much more preferable for Canada to start increasing trade with the EU and China now so when the USA inevitably shits the bed, and either falls into civil war, or splits up, or whatever, Canada won't be as fucked as it'd otherwise be.

And that's not getting into the ramifications for the ordinary people in the States over such a scenario.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:33 am

Hell no. Certain states need the protection of the federal government to avoid becoming even more of an authoritarian hellscape than they already are (lookin' at you, Bama). If anything the US needs to be bigger, by which I mean that the territories and DC need to be granted full statehood.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:33 am

Although it'd be nice to not be ruled from someplace thousands of miles away, it would be a general negative if the U.S. were to split up- it would destabilise world economy, politics, and just generally everything as a whole. Besides, the states already have enough power to essentially be their own functioning nations. It's not necessary.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:35 am

Luziyca wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:More reason for the US to split up.

If the USA split up right now, we'd be megafucked, because according to this list, the United States is by far our largest trading partner. If we measure trade with the next largest, the EU, is 5.3 times smaller than that of the United States, and if we exclude the EU, then trade with China is 7.9 times smaller than that of the trade between Canada and the USA.

While sure, a weaker USA would definitely force Canada to find other trade partners, it would fuck us over in the short-term. It'd be much more preferable for Canada to start increasing trade with the EU and China now so when the USA inevitably shits the bed, and either falls into civil war, or splits up, or whatever, Canada won't be as fucked as it'd otherwise be.

And that's not getting into the ramifications for the ordinary people in the States over such a scenario.

I would try to emigrate if we fell into civil war. I would try to go to Canada, and I wouldn't be the only one. You'll have a refugee crisis.

Ard al Islam
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 14, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ard al Islam » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:36 am

No, screw that. Nation over state. America is one of, if not the best, empire ever(in terms of
you know what? Just ask me in terms of what
). And while it will inevitably fall, that doesn't mean that is a good thing.
Last edited by Ard al Islam on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:38 am

Do you realize the absolute power vacuum that would cause? China and Russia would take this as their chance to make claims on either the broken up US, or other smaller countries. They would basically be allowed to do whatever the hell they want. Not to mention a split up would cause nothing but death, as the split would most definitely be between the two political systems which would then most definitely go to war with one another causing a 2nd civil war, and we know how many people died in the 1st one. So no not a good idea. What's with so many people thinking or saying the US is going/should split up?
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Agend
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Agend » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:39 am

There isn't any true reason to split up and even if the United States did it would damage the world economy. For nations that trade with the U.S. and have strong economies it would be in their best interests to prevent the splitting of the U.S.
Last edited by Agend on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morality, justice, and honor are subjective.
Knowledge is power
Absolute Monarchist
16personalities.com- Assertive Logician- INTP-A
The True Human Beings are almost dead. However, almost dead is not dead.
History started when the Spanish Mustang met the above and the above met them.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General