NATION

PASSWORD

[submitted] Unhealthy Speculation

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

[submitted] Unhealthy Speculation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:23 am

A new draft. I quite like this idea -- if I can keep player autonomy problems down (the key autonomy issue is that if LEADER is ill/well must can't be stated -- and keeping LEADER's real health out altogether has been a challenge.)

Draft 1.3
[Title] Unhealthy Speculation

[Validity] No State Media. Has Democracy.

[description] After your sister convinced you to see your doctor for what turned out to be a routine bug, a viral video began making the rounds of your doctor cheerfully reminding you to take care of yourself, "after all, no-one lives forever" at the exit. Now, media supporting your opponent are full of stories about '@@LEADER@@'s Failing Health Shocker! Snap Election Scuttlebutt as Statesperson Sees Sawbones'.

[option] "Well, let's face it, none of us are getting any younger," trills the Minister of Popular Science, taking your waist measurement. "But you can make these naughty little rumours stop by being photographed in a few newspapers and magazines looking the picture of health: cook a nice salad in your kitchen, go for a bracing swim, perhaps take part in a half-marathon -- don't worry, we'll fix it so you look good. Play to the peanut gallery with some rehearsed interviews about how you've never felt better thanks to your healthy lifestyle, and don't forget some healthy living tips that we'll give you for Joe Public. Everyone will see that you're absolutely fine."
[effect] pictures show @@LEADER@@ doing a victory dance towards a lot of rotund children at the finish line of a marathon local athletes were unaware of
[validity] has sport

[option] "Well, let's face it, none of us are getting any younger," trills the Minister of Popular Science, taking your waist measurement. "But you can make these naughty little rumours stop by being photographed in a few newspapers and magazines looking the picture of health: cook a nice salad in your kitchen, meditate in the garden, perhaps go for a long walk in the country -- don't worry, we'll make you look fabulous. Play to the peanut gallery with some rehearsed interviews about how you've never felt better thanks to your healthy lifestyle, and don't forget some healthy living tips that we'll give you for Joe Public. Everyone will see that you're absolutely fine."
[effect] some viewers spy price-tags on @@LEADER@@'s waterproof jacket in interviews about their frequent nature walks
[validity] no sport

[option] "How stupid do you think the @@DEMONYM@@ public are?" demands the Shadow Minister of Health, interrupting the first speaker before she can answer. "Some staged photographs in Cor, Blimey! magazine won't fool voters, and it won't fool Parliament. Who goes to a doctor unless they're desperately ill? We demand that you, @@LEADER@@, give your doctor permission to release your full medical records: every sniffle, every owie, every booboo. We deserve transparency! We have a right to know what ails our leader."
[effect] the front page story of @@LEADER@@'s babyhood rash is starting to make @@DEMONYMPLURALNOUN@@ teeth itch

[option] "Everyone is entitled to some privacy!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@ your devoted personal secretary, throwing @@HIM@@self in front of you. "@@LEADER@@ has nothing to hide, and will -- I'm sure -- be happy to brief Parliament with a discreet summary sheet of relevant information from the recent consultation. As for the public, if the government encouraged everyone to have regular, free health checks, they would learn there is nothing sinister about someone who works so hard for all of them -- and is so noble and perfect -- being one-hundred percent sure they're fine. If the public knew not to take chances with their health, they would know you were just being smart and cautious and just the leader we need."
[effect] freely released health information often reads "the patient is [redacted][redacted][redacted][redacted]fine[redacted]"

[option] "'No-one lives forever'? 'No-one lives forever'!" bellows your Minister of Strangleholds, who is currently shaking a vase of tulips until all the petals fall off. "Your Doctor 'Shivago' imagined your death with a great big grin on his treasonous face. Back in the days of Imperial Sacerdia, they knew how to do deal with scum like that: anyone who implied the Imperial Princess was some pathetic, mortal weakling was executed. If you made such a law here, all this idle prattle about your health would stop -- once they see your doctor feel the sharp end of his... misaimed premonitions." He chuckles to himself.
[effect] reality may be hazardous to health

[Validity] No State Media. Has Democracy. Sport Allowed.

[description] After your sister convinced you to see your doctor for what turned out to be a routine bug, a viral video began making the rounds of your doctor cheerfully reminding you to take care of yourself, "after all, no-one lives forever" at the exit. Now, media supporting your opponent are full of stories about '@@LEADER@@'s Failing Health Shocker! Snap Election Scuttlebutt as Statesperson Sees Sawbones'.

[option] "Well, let's face it, none of us are getting any younger," trills the Minister of Popular Science, taking your waist measurement. "But you can make these naughty little rumours stop by being photographed in a few newspapers and magazines looking the picture of health: cook a nice salad in your kitchen, go for a bracing swim, perhaps take part in a half-marathon -- don't worry, we'll fix it so you look good. Play to the peanut gallery with some rehearsed interviews about how you're never felt better thanks to your healthy lifestyle, plus some healthy living tips that we'll give you for Joe Public. Everyone will see that you're absolutely fine."
[effect] pictures show @@LEADER@@ doing a victory dance towards a lot of rotund children at the finish line of a marathon local athletes were unaware of

[option] "How stupid do you think the @@DEMONYM@@ public are?" demands the Shadow Minister of Health, interrupting the first speaker before she can answer. "Some staged photographs in Cor, Blimey! magazine won't fool voters, and it won't fool Parliament. Who goes to a doctor unless they're desperately ill? We demand that you, @@LEADER@@, give your doctor permission to release your full medical records: every sniffle, every owie, every booboo. We deserve transparency! We have a right to know what ails our leader."
[effect] the front page story of @@LEADER@@'s babyhood rash is starting to make @@DEMONYMPLURALNOUN@@ teeth itch

[option] "Everyone is entitled to some privacy!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@ your devoted personal secretary, throwing @@HIM@@self in front of you. "@@LEADER@@ has nothing to hide, and will -- I'm sure -- be happy to provide a summary sheet of relevant information from the recent consultation. As for the public, if the government encouraged everyone to have regular, free health checks, they would learn there is nothing sinister about someone who works so hard for all of them -- and is so noble and perfect -- being one-hundred percent sure they're fine. If the public knew not to take chances with their health, they would know you were just being smart and cautious and just the leader we need."
[effect] freely released health information often reads "the patient is [redacted][redacted][redacted][redacted]fine[redacted]"

[option] "'No-one lives forever'? 'No-one lives forever'!" bellows your Minister of Strangleholds, who is currently shaking a vase of tulips until all the petals fall off. "Your Doctor 'Shivago' imagined your death with a great big grin on his treasonous face. Back in the days of Imperial Sacerdia, they knew how to do deal with scum like that: anyone who implied the Imperial Princess was some pathetic, mortal weakling was executed. If you made such a law here, all this idle prattle about your health would stop -- once they see your doctor feel the sharp end of his... misaimed premonitions." He chuckles to himself.

[description] After your sister convinced you to attend a routine check-up with your doctor, a viral video began making the rounds of your doctor cheerfully reminding you to take care of yourself, "after all, no-one lives forever" at the exit. Now, media supporting your opponent are full of stories about '@@LEADER@@'s Failing Health Shocker! Snap Election Scuttlebutt as Statesperson Sees Sawbones'.

[option] "Well, let's face it, none of us are getting any younger," trills the Minister of Popular Science, taking your waist measurement. "But you can make these naughty little rumours stop by being photographed in a few newspapers and magazines doing healthy activities: cooking a nice salad in your kitchen, going for a swim, perhaps taking part in a half-marathon -- don't worry, we'll fix it so you look good. Play to the peanut gallery with some rehearsed interviews about how you couldn't do your tough job without a healthy lifestyle, how you've never felt better, plus some lifestyle tips that we'll give you for Joe Public. Everyone will see that you're absolutely fine."

[option] "Everyone is entitled to some privacy!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@ your devoted personal secretary, throwing @@HIM@@self in front of you. "@@LEADER@@ has nothing to hide, and will -- I'm sure -- be happy to provide a summary sheet of relevant information from the recent consultation. As for the public, if they had more regular health checks, they would learn there is nothing sinister about someone who works so hard for all of them -- and is so noble and perfect -- being one-hundred percent sure they're fine. I suggest that you launch a campaign urging everyone to have a precautionary annual health check-up, @@LEADER@@; so everyone knows it's a good idea. If you think it is... You're so smart..."

[option] "'No-one lives forever'? 'No-one lives forever'!" bellows your Minister of Strangleholds, who is currently shaking a vase of tulips until all the petals fall off. "Your Doctor 'Shivago' imagined your death with a great big grin on his treasonous face. Back in the days of Imperial Sacerdia, they knew how to do deal with scum like that: anyone who implied the Imperial Princess of Sacerdia was some pathetic, mortal weakling was executed. If you made such a law here, all this idle prattle about your health would stop -- once they see your doctor feel the sharp end of his... misaimed premonitions." He chuckles to himself.

[description] After your sister convinced you to attend a routine check-up with your doctor, media supporting your opponent are full of stories about '@@LEADER@@'s Failing Health Shocker! Snap Election Credible as Statesperson Sees Sawbones'. What precipitated this event was your doctor waving you off with a cheery reminder to take care of yourself, "after all, no-one lives forever."

[option] "Well, let's face it, none of us are getting any younger," trills the Minister of Popular Science, taking your waist measurement. "But you can make these naughty little rumours stop by being photographed in a few newspapers and magazines doing healthy activities: cooking a nice salad in your kitchen, going for a swim, perhaps taking part in a half-marathon -- don't worry, we'll fix it so you look good. Play to the peanut gallery with some rehearsed interviews about how you couldn't do your tough job without a healthy lifestyle, how you've never felt better, plus some lifestyle tips that we'll give you for Joe Public. Everyone will see that you're absolutely fine."

[effect] the front page story of @@LEADER@@'s babyhood rash starting to make @@DEMONYMPLURALNOUN@@ teeth itch

[option] "Everyone is entitled to some privacy!" cries @@RANDOMNAME@@ your devoted personal secretary, throwing @@HIM@@self in front of you. "@@LEADER@@ has nothing to hide, and will -- I'm sure -- be happy to provide a summary sheet of relevant information from the recent consultation. As for the public, if they had more regular health checks, they would learn there is nothing sinister about someone who works so hard for all of them -- and is so noble and perfect -- being one-hundred percent sure they're fine. I suggest that you launch a campaign urging everyone to have a precautionary annual health check-up, @@LEADER@@; so everyone knows it's a good idea. If you think it is... You're so smart..."

[option] "'No-one lives forever'? 'No-one lives forever'!" bellows your Minister of Strangleholds, who is currently shaking a vase of tulips until all the petals fall off. "Your Doctor 'Shivago' imagined your death with a great big grin on his treasonous face. Back in the days of Imperial Sacerdia, they knew how to do deal with scum like that: anyone who implied the Imperial Princess of Sacerdia was some pathetic, mortal weakling was executed. If you made such a law here, all this idle prattle about your health would stop -- once they see your doctor feel the sharp end of his... misaimed premonitions." He chuckles to himself.

Open for comment.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 19 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:33 am

Option 2- How stupid could the @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ population be? We they allowed the media to manipulate them into believing that a routine health check for @@LEADER@@'s sister meant that @@LEADER@@ him/herself was dying from a terminal illness, so, you tell me...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:37 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2- How stupid could the @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ population be? We they allowed the media to manipulate them into believing that a routine health check for @@LEADER@@'s sister meant that @@LEADER@@ him/herself was dying from a terminal illness, so, you tell me...

It's @@LEADER@@ that has the health-check. Not sister.

I have clarified that in the opening.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:44 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2- How stupid could the @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ population be? We they allowed the media to manipulate them into believing that a routine health check for @@LEADER@@'s sister meant that @@LEADER@@ him/herself was dying from a terminal illness, so, you tell me...

It's @@LEADER@@ that has the health-check. Not sister.

I see..

Same still applies

Option 2- How stupid could the @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ be? Well they ;let the media manipulate them into believing that a regular check-up for a terminal illness. You tell me
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:47 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:It's @@LEADER@@ that has the health-check. Not sister.

I see..

Same still applies

Option 2- How stupid could the @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ be? Well they ;let the media manipulate them into believing that a regular check-up for a terminal illness. You tell me

Actually, I won't tell you. Because "are DEMONYM citizens stupid" isn't what the issue is about.

"There are concerns about LEADER's health and fitness; how do you plan to deal with that" is what the issue's about.

If you don't want to engage with what the issue is about, that's fine and dandy. But kindly don't remain to argue about it.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:38 am

effect2 is missing a word, 'is' - "the front page story of @@LEADER@@'s babyhood rash [is] starting to make @@DEMONYMPLURALNOUN@@ teeth itch"

The opening is a little clunky; specifically the phrase "What precipitated this event was your doctor waving you off with a cheery reminder to take care of yourself". It's technically a dangling participle, I think, but more importantly starting that sentence with "What precipitated this event was" doesn't really convey a lot of either useful information or flavour.

I'd suggest cutting to the chase with something more flavourful, like 'A viral video has begun to make the rounds, of your doctor waving you off..." Both 'viral' and 'make the rounds' are puns. Narratively it might be a bit disjointed, but I prefer this.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:54 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:effect2 is missing a word, 'is' - "the front page story of @@LEADER@@'s babyhood rash [is] starting to make @@DEMONYMPLURALNOUN@@ teeth itch"

Oops...

The opening is a little clunky; specifically the phrase "What precipitated this event was your doctor waving you off with a cheery reminder to take care of yourself". It's technically a dangling participle, I think, but more importantly starting that sentence with "What precipitated this event was" doesn't really convey a lot of either useful information or flavour.

I'd suggest cutting to the chase with something more flavourful, like 'A viral video has begun to make the rounds, of your doctor waving you off..." Both 'viral' and 'make the rounds' are puns. Narratively it might be a bit disjointed, but I prefer this.

Yeah, the original was a bit dry. I'll switch out for your suggestion.

Thanks for your feedback, Grim!

EDIT: Draft 1.1 up.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:14 am

The Free Joy State wrote:A new draft. I quite like this idea -- if I can keep player autonomy problems down (the key autonomy issue is that if LEADER is ill/well must can't be stated -- and keeping LEADER's real health out altogether has been a challenge.)
We've had issues that affected @@LEADER@@'s health before, like #461 and #557, and #259 features a close call. Getting sick isn't something that you choose to do, so I think that making @@LEADER@@ catch a relatively common and mild illness (which works better anyway with the premise that reporters are overreacting) is less of a player autonomy issue than saying that @@LEADER@@ went for a medical checkup despite not being sick (though I don't think that's a particularly huge violation either).

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:19 am

I feel as if one of the options should see the doctor address the public

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:14 am

Trotterdam wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:A new draft. I quite like this idea -- if I can keep player autonomy problems down (the key autonomy issue is that if LEADER is ill/well must can't be stated -- and keeping LEADER's real health out altogether has been a challenge.)
We've had issues that affected @@LEADER@@'s health before, like #461 and #557, and #259 features a close call. Getting sick isn't something that you choose to do, so I think that making @@LEADER@@ catch a relatively common and mild illness (which works better anyway with the premise that reporters are overreacting) is less of a player autonomy issue than saying that @@LEADER@@ went for a medical checkup despite not being sick (though I don't think that's a particularly huge violation either).

That's a fair point. The act of choosing to go to a doctor is what really concerns me as a player violation -- sick or well (which is why I added in sister persuading LEADER -- which doesn't say whether it was easy or she had to plead for a week and a half).

Australian rePublic wrote:I feel as if one of the options should see the doctor address the public

I don't feel this would add the issue, which is how @@LEADER@@ should deal with political concerns over their medical fitness do their job.

EDIT: Draft 1.2 up
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:27 am

You know, I think nations* with the no sports policy could get this issue too, so long as option 1 had a slightly altered variant... :P

Aside from that, I must say I quite like this one, Joy. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:09 pm

Jutsa wrote:You know, I think nations* with the no sports policy could get this issue too, so long as option 1 had a slightly altered variant... :P

There is now a no sport doppelganger for option one.

Aside from that, I must say I quite like this one, Joy. :)

Thanks! :)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?