NATION

PASSWORD

Tax on Non Renewable Resources[ABANDONED]

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Tax on Non Renewable Resources[ABANDONED]

Postby Team Red Dragon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:29 pm

The World Assembly,

Concerned about the harmful impacts of satisfying the economies of world-wide nations on the environment and the health and safety of human beings,

Alarmed by the steady increase of the change in climate in the past few years caused by emissions emitted when fulfilling the economy of a country,

Reminding nations that nonrenewable resources or fossil fuels will be unavailable as a sufficient value in an estimated 25-50 years based upon production rates,

Noting the efforts of other nations to improve the environment while balancing their economy,

Aware of the negative yet necessary impacts of protecting the environment on a nation’s economy,

Hereby,

Requests that all developed nations decrease the use of fossil fuel plants in their nation by turning to different ways in supporting their economy;
Implores all developed nations to impose a tax on non renewable resources
i. These taxes will increase steadily throughout the years to have nations adapt to using a decreasing amount of fossil fuels in their economy;
ii. A portion of these taxes will go to funds for power sources such as wind power, solar power, hydropower, geothermal power, biofuels etc.
iii. The implementation of these taxes on nations will depend on the developing state of the nation, whether it be developed or developing;
iv. In developed nations, taxes will increase at a faster pace over the course of many years due to stronger stability;
v. In developing nations, taxes will increase at a slower pace over the course of many years due to less stability overall, ensuring that these nations are stabilized before taxing strongly;
Encouraging the use of renewable resources or power sources, such as solar power, wind power, and biofuels to drive a nation’s economy, as a replacement for fossil fuels
Stressing the need for other nations to impose strict emission standards on power plants
and factories;
i. This entails a 10 percent cutback on factory emissions.
ii. In developed nations this is suggested to be enforced strictly
iii. In developing nations this would be imposed loosely to prevent from damaging the economies of the developing nations; developed nations with the right funding are encouraged to allocate a percent of its funding to help neighboring countries in development to reach these goals
Last edited by Team Red Dragon on Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
The mothership of all motherships has arrived....

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:34 pm

First, post the name of the proposal in the thread title. “Thoughts on my draft?” tells nobody anything.

Second, it looks substantially like a duplication of resolution 357, Promotion of Clean Energy

But, good you put it here first and didn’t just submit.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Red Dragon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Yeah, I was worried I was copying something...
Thanks

Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Red Dragon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:First, post the name of the proposal in the thread title. “Thoughts on my draft?” tells nobody anything.

Second, it looks substantially like a duplication of resolution 357, Promotion of Clean Energy

But, good you put it here first and didn’t just submit.

So if the resolution states " through methods available to them such as taxation, business and consumer subsidies," do they mean taxing fossil fuels? Because if I was to submit this proposal, I would state that the main point of my resolution would be "The Taxation of Fossil Fuels"

Also do you think I should completely scrap this whole proposal? Or should I simply edit it to not resemble Resolution Number 357?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:08 pm

Team Red Dragon wrote:Also do you think I should completely scrap this whole proposal? Or should I simply edit it to not resemble Resolution Number 357?

OOC: Okay, so, even thinking "simply edit it to not resemble resolution X" is already going the wrong way.

Please answer these questions:

1. What is the problem that you're trying to solve?

2. Why does it require international law to solve?

3. Has any of it has been covered by existing resolutions?

4. Do the bits not yet covered have enough meat on their bones to warrant a new resolution?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Red Dragon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:19 pm

1. The growing problem of drastic climate changes in the world
2. It requires int'l law to solve because if a few nations, not all nations of the world, try to improve the climate, it will not make a difference if other nations do not comply.
3. As I discovered, Resolution Number 375 already covers most of what I wrote.
4. I believe that Resolution Number 375 does not cover or go into more detail, taxing non-renewable resources for the benefit of a country's economy while helping the environment.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:45 pm

NS =/= Earth or the USA. There are tens of thousands of nations on thousands of worlds.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not Ta'veren

Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Red Dragon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:50 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:NS =/= Earth or the USA. There are tens of thousands of nations on thousands of worlds.

Okay...the Earth. Or in other words...the globe.

Cruel Giny
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Cruel Giny » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Team Red Dragon wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:NS =/= Earth or the USA. There are tens of thousands of nations on thousands of worlds.

Better to use the World or Universe, I guess?
I've seen some nations roleplaying distant future with multiple solar systems and all.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Team Red Dragon wrote:1. The growing problem of drastic climate changes in the world
We are not all on the same “world”. There are thousands of planets. One size does not fit all.
4. I believe that Resolution Number 375 does not cover or go into more detail, taxing non-renewable resources for the benefit of a country's economy while helping the environment.
raise taxes on ”non renewables”. This will raise the cost of energy. Energy usage goes down. Expected tax revenue goes down. That helps a country ... how? Help the environment at the cost of Bankrupting the populace, and setting the economy back a century or more. Well, I guess mass starvation would put less of a burden on the environment.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not Ta'veren

Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Red Dragon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Team Red Dragon wrote:1. The growing problem of drastic climate changes in the world
We are not all on the same “world”. There are thousands of planets. One size does not fit all.
raise taxes on ”non renewables”. This will raise the cost of energy. Energy usage goes down. Expected tax revenue goes down. That helps a country ... how? Help the environment at the cost of Bankrupting the populace, and setting the economy back a century or more. Well, I guess mass starvation would put less of a burden on the environment.

For Number 4....it depends. Why would energy usage go down if you switch to renewable resources? True, the energy usage for the so-called non-renewables go down.
The tax could be imposed just to motivate manufacturers to switch to cleaner types of technology. I think...

If some continue to use non renewable resources, the taxes will go into helping more greener technologies to be produced.
Maybe a temporary tax? Until the world is "mostly" green?

Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Red Dragon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:02 pm

Cruel Giny wrote:
Team Red Dragon wrote:

Better to use the World or Universe, I guess?
I've seen some nations roleplaying distant future with multiple solar systems and all.

True..true...

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:37 am

“What is the category and strength of this proposal?”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Red Dragon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:30 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“What is the category and strength of this proposal?”

The category is "Environmental" and the strength is "mild"

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:First, post the name of the proposal in the thread title. “Thoughts on my draft?” tells nobody anything.

Not Ta'veren

Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Red Dragon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:58 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:

Done.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:33 am

OOC: Doesn't NEF ban national taxation meddling mandates?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Doesn't NEF ban national taxation meddling mandates?

OOC: WA General Fund, actually, but yes.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:04 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Doesn't NEF ban national taxation meddling mandates?

Oh good. You won’t be accusing me of being a broken record this time.

Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Red Dragon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:51 pm

What other things should I do to my draft?

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:40 pm

From Resolution #17
8. Affirms the right of member nations to maintain full authority over domestic taxation policies, barring those that may include unfair discriminatory practices;

Not Ta'veren

Terttia
Envoy

Founded: Jul 28, 2019
Anarchy

Postby Terttia » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:29 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:From Resolution #17
8. Affirms the right of member nations to maintain full authority over domestic taxation policies, barring those that may include unfair discriminatory practices;

In other words, this proposal contradicts GA Resolution #17.
Last edited by Terttia on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Never was anything great achieved without danger.” -Niccolò Machiavelli

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:35 am

Team Red Dragon wrote:What other things should I do to my draft?

(OOC: Due to the aforementioned contradiction issue with GA #017, you will unfortunately have to either abandon or completely change your proposal. If the former, then you should change the [ABANDONED]. If you think it is possible for you to have a proposal that doesn’t at all affect tax, then you can continue drafting,)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Red Dragon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:02 am

Okay. Thank you. I will try.

I'm glad I put this here instead of immediately submitting it.

Thanks. This was a big help and I learned a lot.

Team Red Dragon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Red Dragon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:04 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Team Red Dragon wrote:What other things should I do to my draft?

(OOC: Due to the aforementioned contradiction issue with GA #017, you will unfortunately have to either abandon or completely change your proposal. If the former, then you should change the [ABANDONED]. If you think it is possible for you to have a proposal that doesn’t at all affect tax, then you can continue drafting,)

I guess unfortunately that I cannot think of anything else, I will abandon this resolution, (I might write some more and submit them here for debate and advice).

Again, big thanks to all of you, I learned a lot from this.
Last edited by Team Red Dragon on Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly