NATION

PASSWORD

[submitted 10.12.19] The Wurst Meat

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[submitted 10.12.19] The Wurst Meat

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 am

Inspired by my wife asking me to make sure that the sausages bought for dinner were at least 80% pork.

DRAFT 2:
TITLE:
The Wurst Meat

VALIDITY:
Low food standards, capitalist, not vegetarian.

DESCRIPTION:
Food scientists recently examined the market-leading brands of meat sausages, and discovered that many had barely any meat in them at all, with most being bulked out with cheaper rusk, bulking agents or -- in one case -- fine sawdust.

OPTION 1
"How can these sausages call themselves meat when they're mostly plant fibres?" asks chicken chipolata aficionado @@randomname@@, waving a manky-looking kielbasa at you. "The industry should be forced to clearly display the percentage of meat on the packaging, and shouldn't be allowed to call itself a meat product unless they are at least 50% meat. We, the people, hunger for better food standards!"

OUTCOME:
according the the government a BLT sandwich is suitable for vegetarians

OPTION 2
"Animal protein is expensive," complains small town butcher @@randomname@@, wringing his blood-stained hands. "With sausages, it's hard to make both ends meat. Look, people buy and enjoy them, no matter what they're made of. Can't you just leave it to the free market and wind back on all this food-labelling nonsense?"

OUTCOME:
sausages often have a woody flavour

OPTION 3
"Bad sausage! BAD SAUSAGE!" yells vegetarian activist @@randomfemalename@@ taking a claw hammer to a raw saveloy with sufficient fervour to make all the men in the room wince. "The correct amount of meat in a sausage is ZERO percent. Sausages, and indeed meats in general, represent an ecological and cardiovascular time bomb. Take the nation into mandatory vegetarianism, and end this meaty madness!"

OUTCOME:
salt-soaked vitamin-deficient mycoprotein is believed to be the "healthy" dietary option

DRAFT 1:
TITLE:
Silly Sausage

VALIDITY:
Low food standards, capitalist, not vegetarian.

DESCRIPTION:
Food scientists recently examined the market-leading brands of meat sausages, and discovered that many had barely any meat in them at all, with most being bulked out with cheaper rusk, bulking agents or -- in one case -- fine sawdust.

OPTION 1
"How can these sausages call themselves meat when they're mostly plant fibres?" asks chicken chipolata aficionado @@randomname@@, waving a manky-looking kielbasa at you. "The industry should be forced to clearly display the percentage of meat on the packaging, and shouldn't be allowed to call itself a meat product unless they are at least 50% meat. We, the people, hunger for better food standards!"

OUTCOME:
according the the government a BLT sandwich isn't a meat product

OPTION 2
"Animal protein is expensive," complains small town butcher @@randomname@@, wringing his blood-stained hands. "With sausages, it's hard to make both ends meat. Look, people buy and enjoy them, no matter what they're made of. Can't you just leave it to the free market and wind back on all this food-labelling nonsense?"

OUTCOME:
sausages often have a woody flavour

OPTION 3
"Bad sausage! BAD SAUSAGE!" yells vegetarian activist @@randomfemalename@@ taking a claw hammer to a raw saveloy with sufficient fervour to make all the men in the room wince. "The correct amount of meat in a sausage is ZERO percent. Sausages, and indeed meats in general, represent an ecological and cardiovascular time bomb. Take the nation into mandatory vegetarianism, and end this meaty madness!"

OUTCOME:
salt-soaked vitamin-deficient mycoprotein is believed to be the "healthy" dietary option
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:21 am

Getting issues ready for the new 'Beta' stats already? ;)

I like this, but instead of just using cost to justify the use of non-meat ingredients how about a "This mixture of meat, herbs, and rusk, is our local[/]i traditional [i]recipe: Let the foreigners have their "all-meat" 'Worst',if they want, but let us keep our good old 'Bangers' too" option?

(Yes, the spelling of 'Worst' there is deliberate...)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Inspired by my wife asking me to make sure that the sausages bought for dinner were at least 80% pork.

Now we know you really live in the UK. Those sausages that are more filler than meat are very British.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:05 pm

The only thing I'm worried is that sawdust masquerading as food has been done before, even if it was a different food. Though, that draft doesn't look to have been accepted, so duplication isn't an issue. I do have to ask, though, what makes this draft better than that one.

Meanwhile, we definitely do have #367, which is about stuff advertised as meat products that does actually contain meat, just not the right species of meat.

Personally, of course, I'm inclined to side with the vegetarian. If you can already sell a "meat" product that only contains 10% actual meat and most consumers won't care, then why not get rid of that 10% too?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Gotta admit, this has inspired me to make an issue for communist nations... :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:15 am

I like this issue.

Can I suggest a small tweak:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:OUTCOME:
according the the government a BLT sandwich isn't a meat product

[effect] according to the government a BLT sandwich is suitable for a vegetarian diet
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:03 am

Bears Armed wrote:Getting issues ready for the new 'Beta' stats already? ;)

Heh, no. The new stats you're thinking of are entirely secondary derived stats, we wouldn't be hard coding a change based on specific narratives into this issue.

I like this, but instead of just using cost to justify the use of non-meat ingredients how about a "This mixture of meat, herbs, and rusk, is our local[/]i traditional [i]recipe: Let the foreigners have their "all-meat" 'Worst',if they want, but let us keep our good old 'Bangers' too" option?

(Yes, the spelling of 'Worst' there is deliberate...)

Weirdly, I'd considered something along those lines, inspired by a stand-up comedian's joke I heard

I met a German at an international sausage making competition and I said Do Your Worst.

However I ended up dropping the pun because I liked "make both ends meat" better. I might though consider changing the title to "The Wurst Meat". Yeah, let's do that.

The Free Joy State wrote:I like this issue.
Can I suggest a small tweak:
[effect] according to the government a BLT sandwich is suitable for a vegetarian diet

Will definitely do that, that's a good change.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:00 am

I liked the old title.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:03 am

I like both :)

When I submit it I'll tag both titles on there and let the editor pick.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:43 pm

Minimum 50% meat? That's awfully lenient. I'd go atleast 65%+
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?