NATION

PASSWORD

Federal Judge Reportedly Rules Hoda Muthana Not US Citizen

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Federal Judge Reportedly Rules Hoda Muthana Not US Citizen

Postby US-SSR » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:34 pm

sauce

see previous thread

Various news sources, quoting Hoda Muthana's attorneys, report GW Bush appointee Judge Reggie B. Walton has ruled Hoda Muthana is not a US citizen. Waiting for the written opinon but reports claim Walton declined to challenge the US State Department's assertion they had not received word of Hoda's father's termination of diplomatic status until after her birth.

Questions still to be answered, possibly in the opinion, include on what legal grounds Walton dismissed plaintiff's arguments, not only that Hoda is entitled to birthright US citizenship since her father was not actually a diplomat and thus "subject to the jurisdiction" of the US when she was born, but also that equitable estoppel applies. That is, having issued Hoda a US passport, and Hoda having been eligible to apply for US residence and eventually citizenship just as her older siblings did, the US is now estopped from denying her entry to the US on the grounds that its initial passport issuance was in error.

Count on a quick appeal. imo this Bush appointee judge punted because the plaintiff was Muslim and her citizenship openly and improperly questioned by both the President and Secretary of State.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Hoda should be left to rot in Syria where she belongs for aiding in war crimes and terrorism. She gave up her right to be an American when she turned on everyone and she deserves to never see her homeland again.

Same for Shamima Begum. Leave these ISIS fighters trapped in Syria. They're monsters who had no problem violating human rights but now they demand we recognize theirs.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:18 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:Hoda should be left to rot in Syria where she belongs for aiding in war crimes and terrorism. She gave up her right to be an American when she turned on everyone and she deserves to never see her homeland again.

Same for Shamima Begum. Leave these ISIS fighters trapped in Syria. They're monsters who had no problem violating human rights but now they demand we recognize theirs.

The only way for an individual who acquired US citizenship at birth to lose it is for that person to renounce US citizenship before a consular officer overseas. No other action and no public official can remove that right. I remain confident a higher court will uphold this bedrock principle, established in the Constitution and maintained in the US Courts for over a century. Should the government choose to charge and prosecute her after her return it would be within its rights; but it cannot deny a bona fide citizen the right to return to the US via Tweet.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:21 am

US-SSR wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:Hoda should be left to rot in Syria where she belongs for aiding in war crimes and terrorism. She gave up her right to be an American when she turned on everyone and she deserves to never see her homeland again.

The only way for an individual who acquired US citizenship at birth to lose it is for that person to renounce US citizenship before a consular officer overseas. No other action and no public official can remove that right. I remain confident a higher court will uphold this bedrock principle, established in the Constitution and maintained in the US Courts for over a century. Should the government choose to charge and prosecute her after her return it would be within its rights; but it cannot deny a bona fide citizen the right to return to the US via Tweet.

I believe the ruling is that she never was a U.S. citizen, therefore she never had a citizenship of the United States to relinquish or have stripped from her in the first place.

Secondly, judges don't rule via tweet.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Urran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:26 am

Joining a terrorist organization that pillages, rapes, enslaves, and burns people alive in cages is tantamount to treason. Ruling she was never a US citizen, if I understand that that is what has happened, is a moot point as she definitely deserves to lose her citizenship now.
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
❤BITTEN BY THE VAMPIRE QUEEN OF COOKIES❤

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:32 am

Urran wrote:Joining a terrorist organization that pillages, rapes, enslaves, and burns people alive in cages is tantamount to treason. Ruling she was never a US citizen, if I understand that that is what has happened, is a moot point as she definitely deserves to lose her citizenship now.

Treason really is a dumb word, no country deserves absolute loyalty.

Until I see the judgement however I'll refrain from making kneejerk assumptions based on the political leanings of the judge. However, I agree with the OP that if she ever had united states citizenship she should be allowed to return to the united states.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Urran
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:36 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:

Until I see the judgement however I'll refrain from making kneejerk assumptions based on the political leanings of the judge. However, I agree with the OP that if she ever had united states citizenship she should be allowed to return to the united states.

Well, I can agree with that, but it IS a law that you lose your US citizenship by joining a foreign military. Joining a militant terrorist organization certainly fits, especially since ISIS wishes to create a caliphate, which is for all intents and purposes a theocratic state.
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:39 am

Urran wrote:

Well, I can agree with that, but it IS a law that you lose your US citizenship by joining a foreign military. Joining a militant terrorist organization certainly fits, especially since ISIS wishes to create a caliphate, which is for all intents and purposes a theocratic state.

Strange that, they're a military when it suits America to class them as one, but not when it doesn't. Like treating their captured soldiers as prisoners of war, for example.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Urran
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:42 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Strange that, they're a military when it suits America to class them as one, but not when it doesn't. Like treating their captured soldiers as prisoners of war, for example.

I'm not the US government. I just call it as I see it.
Proud Coastie

I <3 James May

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:46 am

US-SSR wrote:

The only way for an individual who acquired US citizenship at birth to lose it is for that person to renounce US citizenship before a consular officer overseas.

Does it count if that consular officer watches through a television screen ? After all, she did renounce it publicly on tv, shredding and burning her passport and all.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:51 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
US-SSR wrote:
The only way for an individual who acquired US citizenship at birth to lose it is for that person to renounce US citizenship before a consular officer overseas.

Does it count if that consular officer watches through a television screen ? After all, she did renounce it publicly on tv, shredding and burning her passport and all.

It has to be in person, and you have to sign something.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... broad.html

Littoral Novoroma
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Littoral Novoroma » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:53 am

Urran wrote:

Strange that, they're a military when it suits America to class them as one, but not when it doesn't. Like treating their captured soldiers as prisoners of war, for example.

Yeah, let's think about the human rights of people who have no regard for them...

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:54 am

Littoral Novoroma wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Strange that, they're a military when it suits America to class them as one, but not when it doesn't. Like treating their captured soldiers as prisoners of war, for example.

Yeah, let's think about the human rights of people who have no regard for them...

Like the federal government?

Littoral Novoroma
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Littoral Novoroma » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:55 am

Littoral Novoroma wrote:

Like the federal government?

You are comparing the Federal Government to mass murdering war criminals?

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:59 am

Littoral Novoroma wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Like the federal government?

This is just too easy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_War

Littoral Novoroma
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Littoral Novoroma » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:05 am

Littoral Novoroma wrote:

This is just too easy:

Having civilians die as collateral damage is not the same as lining them up in ditches and shooting them, cutting off their heads, enslaving them, ...

The Federal Government did not conspire to eliminate civilians, a thing which can not be said for these maniacs.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:08 am

Littoral Novoroma wrote:
This is just too easy:

Having civilians die as collateral damage is not the same as lining them up in ditches and shooting them, cutting off their heads, enslaving them, ...

The Federal Government did not conspire to eliminate civilians, a thing which can not be said for these maniacs.

What do you think happened in CIA black sites? Do you think they just got lonely so decided to invite a lot of the locals over for tea and biscuits?

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:09 am

Urran wrote:Joining a terrorist organization that pillages, rapes, enslaves, and burns people alive in cages is tantamount to treason. Ruling she was never a US citizen, if I understand that that is what has happened, is a moot point as she definitely deserves to lose her citizenship now.

No it is not. Joining a group that does evil does not make you a traitor. Joining a foreign military group directly in conflict with your nation and its military however is. And not just tantamount to but literal treason. The western world is in war with ISIS, whether we call it war or not. And thus anyone who joins ISIS is no different than someone running off to join the germans during WW2. It's joining the military of a foreign power at war with your nation. And that is treason by definition.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:10 am

Purpelia wrote:

No it is not. Joining a group that does evil does not make you a traitor. Joining a foreign military group directly in conflict with your nation and its military however is. And not just tantamount to but literal treason. The western world is in war with ISIS, whether we call it war or not. And thus anyone who joins ISIS is no different than someone running off to join the germans during WW2. It's joining the military of a foreign power at war with your nation. And that is treason by definition.

Had the united states engaged isis when she joined?
And did she actually serve in the military?

Littoral Novoroma
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Littoral Novoroma » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 am

Littoral Novoroma wrote:

What do you think happened in CIA black sites? Do you think they just got lonely so decided to invite a lot of the locals over for tea and biscuits?

The CIA interrogating potential terrorists and insurgents by questionable means is now equal to having all the males in a village massacred and all the women made into sex slaves?

Urran
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:17 am

Purpelia wrote:No it is not. Joining a group that does evil does not make you a traitor. Joining a foreign military group directly in conflict with your nation and its military however is. And not just tantamount to but literal treason. The western world is in war with ISIS, whether we call it war or not. And thus anyone who joins ISIS is no different than someone running off to join the germans during WW2. It's joining the military of a foreign power at war with your nation. And that is treason by definition.

I'd argue that ISIS doesn't just do evil, but are evil to the very core, but your point is essentially the same as mine. She essentially joined the Islamic SS.
Proud Coastie

I <3 James May

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:20 am

Good. If you join ISIS, you're pretty much forfeiting any chance of U.S. citizenship.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Littoral Novoroma
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Littoral Novoroma » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:21 am

Purpelia wrote:No it is not. Joining a group that does evil does not make you a traitor. Joining a foreign military group directly in conflict with your nation and its military however is. And not just tantamount to but literal treason. The western world is in war with ISIS, whether we call it war or not. And thus anyone who joins ISIS is no different than someone running off to join the germans during WW2. It's joining the military of a foreign power at war with your nation. And that is treason by definition.

They were at war with the US the millisecond they were formed.

She openly advocated for more people to join the fight there and for those that remain to start terrorist attacks. What do you think she'll do in the US other than continue this behavior?

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:25 am

#1. is a valid question. Not. Americans who joined the nazi military before america entered WW2 are still traitors for fighting against their homeland.
#2. You don't have to be in the military to be a traitor by joining a foreign one.

Also to add: #3. OTAN should really just get their heads out of their behinds and hit ISIS WW2 style and just level them all. Kill everything, burn them to the ground, salt the earth. And than clean up anyone associated with them at home using bayonets to save on bullets.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:50 am

Good riddance.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General