NATION

PASSWORD

Racist Incident At Buffalo Wild Wings: Family Speaks Out

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Racist Incident At Buffalo Wild Wings: Family Speaks Out

Postby Aeritai » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:11 pm

A family of mostly black people who were told to move tables at an Illinois Buffalo Wild Wings because a white customer did not want to sit next to them described how upsetting it was to explain the incident to their children.

"We're going into 2020 and we still have to deal with ... racism," Justin Vahl said at a press conference Tuesday. "I have to explain to my 10- and 5-year-old why we have to walk out of a restaurant."

In a Facebook post that has gone viral, Justin's wife, Mary Vahl, said that she and 17 other people were at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Naperville on Oct. 26. The host setting up their table told them that a customer, who was a regular, did not want to be seated next to them because of their race.

Mary Vahl wrote in her post that the group was made up of "minorities, mostly consisting of African Americans" and a dozen children. The party told the host that they would not move tables.

Justin Vahl told reporters that they were at the eatery to celebrate the birthday of one of the kids and he felt "disrespected" by the encounter.

"This bigot of a customer did not want us sitting there in a public establishment where we were wanted," he said.

According to Justin Vahl, the customer repeatedly turned around and gave the group dirty looks. Another family member at the press conference, Marcus Riley, said that eventually a manager came and told the group that the table they were at was reserved and they would need to switch to another table.

Again they refused to move, he said. After that manager and another employee tried to persuade the group to move, the party decided to take their business elsewhere and left.

Ashley Smith, another family member at the press conference, told reporters that she was upset her children had to witness this incident.

"To see them try to understand is hurtful because that's something they shouldn't have to do," she said."It's OK to be black. And we're raising them to be that way."

"I won't accept that there are people out there who say that they are wrong," Smith said. "Or don't want to sit next to them."

In a statement this week, Buffalo Wild Wings said it had fired the involved employees and "banned the customer who exhibited the inappropriate behavior from all Buffalo Wild Wings sports bars for life."

The company also said it planned to conduct sensitivity training throughout its restaurants in the Chicago area.

"Buffalo Wild Wings values an inclusive environment and has zero-tolerance for discrimination of any kind," the statement read.

The group's attorney, Cannon Lambert, praised Buffalo Wild Wings for firing the employees but called out the establishment for failing to properly train its staff to ensure all customers are treated fairly.

"We're not surprised that you are instituting sensitivity training. What we're surprised by is that you didn't have any already in place," Lambert said. "They have the opportunity to be trailblazers right now where they can show other corporate community participants what it is to stand up to racism."

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... cna1076651

My Opinion: Honestly, this is just disrespectful that the customer wanted the family to move because of the color of their skin. Like how does one family's skin color affect how you eat? I'm glad that Buffalo Wild Wings fired the employees that we're trying to move the family and banned the customer that showed this type of rude behavior.

What do you say NSG? Do you think the customer and employees were in the wrong or do you think the family should've moved tables?
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:14 pm

why overweight chumps arguing at Buffalo Wild Wings matters at all is beyond me
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:17 pm

This is so cartoonly racist that I have a hard time believing it actually happened the way they said it happened. But if it did, then screw that racist customer and screw the moronic employees who caved to him.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Side 3 wrote:This is so cartoonly racist that I have a hard time believing it actually happened the way they said it happened. But if it did, then screw that racist customer and screw the moronic employees who caved to him.

I'm a little skeptical as well. It's got all the usual things...

Person seemingly lashes out at minority at random for no apparent reason (how much you want a bet there's a back-and-forth escalation before this went down?)

"I can't believe it's year 20XX"

"What do I tell my kids?"

Not to mention that the article concludes with them leaving the restaurant anyways and going elsewhere, so it seems to have all worked out.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:23 pm

who the fuck is a "regular patron" of "Buffalo Wild Wings"
if you like my posts please make sure to downvote my factbooks.
DON'T CLICK
"lmao child you come into MY region"
no, this nation does not represent my
views. i cannot believe i have to clarify this

for RPers
my views explained

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:25 pm

This seems an awful lot like the Nathan Phillips thing, the family that was allegedly discriminated against is upping up the victimization in the article quite a bit. I also doubt that a white customer, in this day and age would seemingly randomly and openly ask for them to move because of their race, even if they were a racist, knowing the inevitable media backlash. I highly suspect there’s more to this story
Last edited by Aureumterra on Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Czechostan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:Not to mention that the article concludes with them leaving the restaurant anyways and going elsewhere, so it seems to have all worked out.

If you were asked to move tables because someone was uncomfortable with your skin color, I don't think you would describe this as everything "working out."

Side 3
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Side 3 wrote:This is so cartoonly racist that I have a hard time believing it actually happened the way they said it happened. But if it did, then screw that racist customer and screw the moronic employees who caved to him.

Person seemingly lashes out at minority at random for no apparent reason (how much you want a bet there's a back-and-forth escalation before this went down?)

Not to mention that the article concludes with them leaving the restaurant anyways and going elsewhere, so it seems to have all worked out.

Also the fact that they moved 19 people for one guy who apparently explicitly said it was because they were black seems really far fetched.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Xuloqoia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Xuloqoia » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:who the fuck is a "regular patron" of "Buffalo Wild Wings"

The real question is why Buffalo Wild Wings as a whole is still in business, to be quite honest.
I may return for somewhat longer than I was initially expecting. Why am I here? No idea whatsoever. I really ought to find some way out of this place.

Also, the NS stats don't reflect my RL views, just to clarify.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:29 pm

I question if this really happened. It would be stupid to do this as a business in 2019, as racism is not viewed as acceptable and it will lead to boycotts.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:31 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:I question if this really happened. It would be stupid to do this as a business in 2019, as racism is not viewed as acceptable and it will lead to boycotts.

Boomers on twitter “cancelling” Buffalo Wild Wings in 3…2…1…
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:32 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

OK Boomer.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Czechostan
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:35 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:I question if this really happened. It would be stupid to do this as a business in 2019, as racism is not viewed as acceptable and it will lead to boycotts.

I mean, I doubt the manager and the employees had the long-term economic future of b-dubs in mind. It's not like corporate supported this, since they fired the employees involved.

Side 3
Envoy

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Czechostan wrote:

I mean, I doubt the manager and the employees had the long-term economic future of b-dubs in mind. It's not like corporate supported this, since they fired the employees involved.

But surely they would know that this would cost them their jobs? I mean it doesn't take a genius to realize that moving a large group of customers for such an absurd reason is a terrible idea.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Can we have more then one source, not including the Facebook post.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Aeritai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Xuloqoia wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:who the fuck is a "regular patron" of "Buffalo Wild Wings"

The real question is why Buffalo Wild Wings as a whole is still in business, to be quite honest.

Is the food there that bad?
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Xuloqoia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Xuloqoia » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Aeritai wrote:
Xuloqoia wrote:

Is the food there that bad?

I don't like it, I must admit. 2/10, because the food is technically edible.
I may return for somewhat longer than I was initially expecting. Why am I here? No idea whatsoever. I really ought to find some way out of this place.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:40 pm

Czechostan wrote:

I still question this. Being racist will lead to negative consequences like being fired, and one racist customer isn't worth it.

Xuloqoia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Xuloqoia » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Xuloqoia wrote:
I don't like it, I must admit. 2/10, because the food is technically edible.

I really like it. 7.7/10

:blink:

... Why?

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Xuloqoia wrote:

... Why?

Spicy.

Wings.

Buffalo.

Wild.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Xuloqoia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Xuloqoia » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Xuloqoia wrote:

... Why?

Spicy.

Wings.

That are so godawful that they make Chicken McNuggets seem like God's gift.

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Xuloqoia wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:Spicy.

Wings.

That are so godawful that they make Chicken McNuggets seem like God's gift.

>implying they aren't.

Not every chicken wing has what it takes to be the Eucharist.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Czechostan
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Side 3 wrote:
Czechostan wrote:I mean, I doubt the manager and the employees had the long-term economic future of b-dubs in mind. It's not like corporate supported this, since they fired the employees involved.

But surely they would know that this would cost them their jobs? I mean it doesn't take a genius to realize that moving a large group of customers for such an absurd reason is a terrible idea.

Well, racism is entirely irrational, but it doesn't stop people from being racist. There's plenty of examples of people trashing minorities in history with seemingly no idea of what the repurcussions will be.

Aeritai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:Can we have more then one source, not including the Facebook post.

Sure, here is two news sources that cover the same thing.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/buf ... t-incident

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
Just call me Aeri
I am a Human Female

Czechostan
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:47 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Czechostan wrote:I mean, I doubt the manager and the employees had the long-term economic future of b-dubs in mind. It's not like corporate supported this, since they fired the employees involved.

I still question this. Being racist will lead to negative consequences like being fired, and one racist customer isn't worth it.

If you're of the same race of the racist person, and you're good at mental gymnastics as most people are, you can find a way.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General