NATION

PASSWORD

The Land Of The Free: An American Political Roleplay (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:52 pm

Fox Television Center, Yorkville, Manhattan- New York City January 24th?, 2019

Host: "Welcome to Good Day New York! We hope everyone is having a FANTASTIC morning! We have a number of guests for you today, but first we have a special caller.... Good morning Senator Volek, thanks for calling in."

Volek: "I'm glad to be speaking with you. Good morning to everyone over there in the studio and watching at home."

Host: "There has been a lot going on in Washington recently..... what are your thoughts on what the future holds?"

Volek: "First of all, I would like to extend my best wishes to President Wolf and his family during this difficult time. I think we all have to put politics aside in this instance. That's what we need more of, I think- compassion for our fellow man. I assume you're also asking about the 2020 primary? It's far too early to say who I would support... far too early."

What Karel would not say publicly was that he had already taken a liking to a certain candidate, who knew how politics really worked.

Host: "What will your priorities be for this session?"

Volek: “I only have one priority: working for the people of New York. I’ve brought on several new staffers to help with constituent services, and as always I can be reached personally by letter or over the phone.”

Host: “Any other updates?”

Volek: “I am also pleased to announce that I will be joining Twitter- I know people will say, what’s a geezer like you going on social media for? I say, I gotta keep up with my constituents. I won’t use it for eh... pontificating... it’ll just be another way New Yorkers can contact me for assistance in dealing with the Feds.”

Host: “What about legislation?”

Volek: “I see some good bipartisan bills coming out of the House and the Senate. I’ll start with giving them my support, and if the opportunity arises I’ll write some bills myself.”

Host: “All right then, thank you for your time Senator.”

Volek: “Take care.”

Host: “When we come back, I’ll be speaking with an activist in the Bronx who wants to address the problems of what are called ‘food deserts’. Stay tuned!”
Last edited by Bruke on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puertollano
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:37 am

Great Falls, Montana

Levi returned home to Montana for his second official campaign rally. His team had believed in a new tactic to begin with; rather than immediately flying down to Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina or Nevada, Levi would visit states that he believes he could win and win big in the primary. They wanted to expand his voter outreach further than Minnesota, and Great Falls (Montana) was a perfect opportunity for him to re-connect in his old home state.

"Thank you for having me, Great Falls. It's a pleasure to be back home, and a lot of things have changed since I've last been here. We've been hit with the 1990s Clifford-era and the failed neoliberal projects that have left states and communities across this country poorer and more disadvantaged. The cause of this is really simply - the anti-worker trade deals signed by our governments, attacks against our unions, the reluctance to raise the minimum wages and the endless tax breaks and tax cuts for the richest echelons in this nation."

"I believe in a vision that was set out long before me and a vision that will exist long after me. It was started by a man named Franklin D. Roosevelt and was one of the best Presidents of the United States of America. Not only did he fight off the fascists in Europe and the Pacific, but FDR truly transformed the United States of America in a profound way that people today would not have imagined. He instituted a national jobs program, an employment guarantee, and that's exactly what I've co-sponsored in the Senate, to ensure communities like Great Fall will have jobs. Good paying jobs, union jobs, safe jobs, to build for the new decades."

"When I say build for the new decades, I'm talking about renewable energy, public buildings such as libraries and community halls, public health, public radio, re-wilding our forests and other places of natural beauty. That was the idea that FDR implemented - and I in the Senate, along with Senator Winthrop, want to see that advanced once again. Because I believe America is only held back by our leaders who say we cannot complete feats. Kennedy, when advancing with the Space Program never said: "Well, wait a minute, can we really do this?" No, Kennedy said that we will do it and we sent a man to the moon. I'm running to be President to propose bold leadership that will stand for progressive and working-class values, I will be a President unafraid of Republican backlash. I will use executive order. I will use all the powers vested in me to create an economy that works for the many, not the few."

"Montana has a great natural beauty, and many people are lucky to live in this gorgeous area of the country. That is why it is most fundamentally important that we protect this wilderness with all we've got. I want to see our future generations see and wander through it, not only my generation. I want millennial and the new generations to explore our nations forestry, but none such will exist if we continue down the path of endless profit for the major oil and gas companies. What I will do as President is I will clean out the Environmental Protection Agency. I will kick out all of the oil and gas lobbyists that currently fill the EPA and give the organisation teeth. I will appoint real environmentalists to these positions in the EPA so that it protects, not destroys our natural beauties. Next, so that a future Republican Administration cannot throw out all of our progress, I would institute tough rules for the opening of positions in the EPA, ones that bar individuals on the pay-rolls of the big companies. Bar individuals with past connections with industries that would see financial benefit from a weak and useless EPA. Time to be strong on the environment. Time to clean the EPA out."

"In the end, it all culminates into my signature policy. The 2nd Bill of Rights. A Second Bill of Rights would codify this for every American in this country as a human right, not as a privileged extended to them. This is not radical proposal, in fact, it was FDR that first proposed this in his State of the Union address. We need to pick up the mantel of FDR and institute the reforms he couldn't complete while he was in office. We need to move on in creating the Second Bill of Rights, then increasing the minimum wage to $15 dollar an hour, breaking up the monopolies, provide fair trade practices to protect American farmers, create a national housing program and build cheap, renewable housing for the nation's poor. That's what FDR was in America - that's what I see in America. We can get this done. For the many, not the few."
Senator Levi Murphy (D-MN)
Chairwoman Lilyana Wolf (R-ME)
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)
Mayor Tammy Tablot (I-NV)

Puertollano
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:42 am

TO: Giselle Campbell

Hello,

Thank you for all the work you and the Working Families Party are doing in New York and beyond, in promoting progressive values. We've got to change the overton window to the left if we need to win the Presidential Election and your grass-roots organisation is doing just that. As an adherent to that exact philosophy, I very much respect the work you all do. That's why I would like to come to New York and speak to the WFP. I would love to elaborate on my policies to your members, because I want to touch-base with the progressive activists that keep the populist Democrats alive. Thank you,

Levi.
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarenium » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:59 am

Richmond, VA
Last Town Hall of Senator Jillian G. Dayton for that week

"My legislative agenda is quite simple. You can tell it is. Who do I work for?" she called into the microphone.
"VIRGINIA!" called back the avid crowd of voters. This was no ordinary town hall, it was set in one of the most Democratic parts of the state and her old Congressional Seat incorporating parts of Richmond and Southern Virginia.

"In the next two weeks I will put to the Senate, the FAIR Act, the Fair and Independent Redistricting Act of 2019 which will ensure that our Congressional elections are..."
"FAIR!" roared the crowd.

"My colleagues in the Senate are proposing legislation that would reshape the life of the average American as we know it, a Climate Action package, the Equality Act, the Corporate Freeloader Act and even the Medicare Choice Act! Ultimately, all these packages are a fundamental part of what we as Democrats and what I, as your Senator believe are necessary to improve the lives of the people I work for, whose that again?"
"VIRGINIA!"

"Beyond our borders, are our fellow Americans, whom I also serve albeit indirectly and the best way to ensure that I and my successor after me are able to do our jobs is to have the other chamber as accountable as we are. That means fair redistricting. That means honest redistricting. That means we don't let representatives choose who they represent and give the power of who represents you, back to you!"

The hall clapped as she sat back down after riling them up for a moment, "I hope that answers your question regarding my individual agenda."
The woman who asked sat back down.

An older man stood, he raised his hand and Jillian looked at him kindly, "please, ask away."

"Senator, I have had the pleasure to vote for you since you first ran for this seat in 2006. I have seen your name for Congress, for Governor and I've believed in your campaign everytime, will you be on the ballot next year where I can vote for you for President?" the gentleman asked. The room cheered and Jillian wanted to let a tear trickle down, she beamed in honesty as she waited for a moment for the crowd to calm down.

"Nobody's asked me that before," she smiled in response,"and-"
"RUN JILL! RUN!" shouted someone from the back rows.
"Yeah, run!" support ringed out throughout the crowds until it overwhelmed her into lowering the mic and waiting. She let out a little laugh as the crowd adopted an identical chant "RUN JILL RUN" almost harmonically rung out through the hall. She lifted the mic once again and said, "until the FAIR Act is considered sincerely by the Senate and the House, I would be hard pressed to run for President. Thank you, thank you all for your support, the short answer is, I don't know, the longer answer is, I'll get back to you. I don't rule anything out."
The crowd gave a gentle universal sigh before relenting and Jillian Dayton thanked the crowds for their attendance. She left the stage, before leaving the hall she headed off to the bathroom where she looked up at the mirror and shook her head at herself as she for the first time seriously flirted with the idea of running for President of the United States.

"FAIR Act first," she muttered to herself, "Fair, fair, fair," she looked at the mirror again, "Fairness First."
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:13 am

Nathaniel Richardson
@GovernorRichardson

Wow I had no idea you could just issue an executive order for a better economy and it would just listen to you... thanks Senator Murphy you have opened my eyes.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

The Sandersmen
Secretary

Founded: Jan 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sandersmen » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Puertollano wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for all the work you and the Working Families Party are doing in New York and beyond, in promoting progressive values. We've got to change the overton window to the left if we need to win the Presidential Election and your grass-roots organisation is doing just that. As an adherent to that exact philosophy, I very much respect the work you all do. That's why I would like to come to New York and speak to the WFP. I would love to elaborate on my policies to your members, because I want to touch-base with the progressive activists that keep the populist Democrats alive. Thank you,

Levi.

TO: Levi Murphy

Dear Senator Murphy,

We appreciate your enthusiasm in laying out your progressive vision for America. We are expecting to begin our endorsement process in June, once we have a good feel of the primary field. As always, we intend for the process to be a democratic one. Each of the four people nominated for endorsement will be invited to speak to WFP members in NYC, probably sometime in mid June. Rest assured that the party fully expects you to be one of the nominees in this process.

We are very thankful that a progressive fighter such as yourself is in the race, and we look forward to working with you further to push the national conversation to the left.

Best,
Giselle
Last edited by The Sandersmen on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Azekopolaltion » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:05 pm

TO: Timothy Westra, Westra 2020

Below is the finalized primary plan that we worked on together.

Early State Targets:
1. Nevada
2. New Hampshire

Super Tuesday Targets:
1. Colorado
2. California
3. Vermont
4. Massachusetts

Other Targets:
1. West Virginia
2. Michigan
3. Wisconsin
4. New York

By targets, we mean we’re going to spend big on these states. The pace of the campaign is looking good. We have almost 2 million on hand, though we are running out of old cash quickly. We are raising more and more dollars everyday, especially after all the free media. We’re looking to run an ad in New Hampshire in the middle of or late next month.

Upcoming next week: we’ve booked a speaking slot at the University of New Hampshire on Monday. We will be emphasizing issues facing young people – climate, economics, same drill but with the message tailored to students. We are looking to spend $280,000 on New Hampshire and 200,000 in Nevada in this quarter.

Our campaign looks on track to stay competitive in this race.
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Puertollano
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:13 pm

The Sandersmen wrote:
Puertollano wrote:

Hello,

Levi.

TO: Levi Murphy

Dear Senator Murphy,

We appreciate your enthusiasm in laying out your progressive vision for America. We are expecting to begin our endorsement process in June, once we have a good feel of the primary field. As always, we intend for the process to be a democratic one. Each of the four people nominated for endorsement will be invited to speak to WFP members in NYC, probably sometime in mid June. Rest assured that the party fully expects you to be one of the nominees in this process.

We are very thankful that a progressive fighter such as yourself is in the race, and we look forward to working with you further to push the national conversation to the left.

Best,
Giselle

Brilliant. See you then,

Levi.
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)

Fronket
Envoy

Founded: Nov 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Fronket » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:36 pm

Ben Little
January 26th, 2019
New York City

Ben’s exploratory team felt lucky. They’d received an invite to speak at the closed-door Wells Fargo Foundation Gala, the bank’s philanthropic arm. However, he had been notified that it would be a Q and A style session for two hours, for which he would be paid $575,000. It was too good an offer to refuse. With $2.4 million from his Senate coffers, supplemented by the $260,000 he had raised from South Carolina big donors, this would provide an insane boost to his campaign.

Ben sat on the stage, being interviewed by the Well’s Fargo CEO and he took questions from the audience. He spoke about the need to involve everyone in the process of regulation. “Nobody knows the industry better than the folks in the industry. We need you guys to help out!” Ben said in response to a question about stigma against bankers in politics. He spoke about regulatory measures he would impose, saying he supported keeping Dodd-Frank and would close loopholes allowing banks to use taxpayer money for risky decisions, which most of the people in attendance agreed with.

In a thirty minute dinner break, Ben walked around speaking to individuals in attendance, most from the banking industry. There were a few executives from Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, and JP Morgan. The money just flowed in. There were also business leaders from other industries, like law firms and real estate. After sharing a chuckle about loons running for President like Senator Westra, Ben received several maxed-out checks from these individuals upon informing them that he was planning on jumping in relatively soon. The individual donations amounted to $84,000.

He returned to the stage, taking a few more questions. He reaffirmed his commitment to supporting the economy by engaging in world trade. He said he would not do anything to harm the stock market. He spoke about his idea for baby bonds, which he thought the banks could help out in administering. He gave off a vibe of someone who wasn’t trying to score political points by hating bankers, but as someone who really wanted to solve problems.

All said and done, Ben left the gala with $660,000 for his campaign committee. Added to his current coffers, he was fast nearing $2.5 million for his campaign fund.

He didn’t care what the progressives would say. If he kept fundraising like this, he could stay in the race for however long he wanted.
Last edited by Fronket on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fronket
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Fronket » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:08 pm

Yorkville, Manhattan
Ben Little

After the gala, although it was late, Ben had accepted an invite from Senator Karel Volek for drinks at his NYC home. Ben dismounted from the yellow cab and approached the Senator’s townhouse in Yorkville. He rang the bell and waited.
Last edited by Fronket on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Puertollano
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:45 am

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Rally for Levi 2020

"If the 2016 election proved to progressives anything it is that we cannot trust the centrists to run our party into the ground any longer. What we've learnt from the campaign in 2016 is different to what people like Clifford learnt. We are not about blaming other factors, I acknowledge that the Democratic Party and the DNC had major flaws, flawed to the bone. The Republican Party is also flawed to the bone. That's why, if given the opportunity to be President I would actually drain the swamp; not the faux populism pushed by President Wolf. What we learnt is, is that populism does win elections, no matter if it is fake or not. I want to be a genuine populist, someone who will not work within the system, but destroy the system that the establishment relies on. Wolf's broken promises remain scattered all over this country, including in Iowa, where he initially promised that he would support universal healthcare. What a joke that was. Now him and his cronies are laughing all the way to the bank as private insurance company profits sky-rocket and more and more American and Iowan families cannot pay to the premiums, deductibles and co-payments. With their extra billions in tax cuts, Wolf has rigged this economy further against the working people of this country."

"That's why I've arrived in Iowa to meet you all today. It is places like Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan and my home state of Minnesota that have been incredibly hurt by Wolf's policy of trickle-down economics. We cannot forget, however, that many in the Democratic Party are the ones who pushed for these policies against working people. Starting with the bad trade deals and so on. Still, some Democrats think it's the 90s. No, it's not. And if you do not support universal healthcare, raising the minimum wage, ending these stupid trade deals, guaranteeing universal education, you do not deserve to be running in our primary. You may as well run as a Republican while you're at it. You'd have a home there as it is the party about bashing unions and redistributing wealth straight to the top. If elected President, I would reverse the Wolf tax cuts and the other Republican tax cuts for the rich immediately. Next thing, I would raise the taxes on the millionaires and billionaires with a wealth tax and a tax on Wall St speculation. That way, we can use that revenue to start building big in our disadvantage communities, bringing back jobs and stimulating a new, green economy that pays it workers a fair wage."

"You can look at my record on this; I've supported the Green New Deal, education for all, jobs guarantee and more. I don't just speak the words, I walk the walk too. I want it to be my goal to final push home the economic populist, pro-working class policies to bring around a new generation, for the many, not the few. Because that's what the system is designed to do currently. I hope you can trust me with your support, because I will continue to fight for the people of Iowa and the United States. Unlike Wolf, I will put the U.S. first in trade and other foreign matters. The U.S., Canada and Mexico trade agreement that Wolf signed was just like NAFTA 2.0 and I will tear it up and start fresh. To create trade deals that are good for American workers, I would consult unions, rural communities and other representative groups before coming to any decision. I'd do this because I know there is more to it all than individual figures. I'm just Levi, but the progressive movement is bigger and bolder. I want to embody the progressive movement, not be it. Thank you, Iowa. I'll hope to hear from you all soon."
J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:42 pm

New York City

With another meeting complete, John returned to his office with a smile. He had finally made a deal with an acquaintance to help fund NationOne, his educational non-profit organization. His life was great at the moment, it was made even better when that bumbling idiot Wolf announced he had brain cancer. Finally, God had answered his prayers- although it may have been later than he had hoped, the American people would not have to put up with four more years of Wolf. John still wondered how he got elected and he was still quite annoyed with Diane losing, but it made him realize that the American people were tired of the same old politics as usual, they wanted something different.

But besides celebrating that Wolf is going, John realized his timetable would be filled with the elections coming around next year. With Wolf deciding not to run again, there would likely be many Democrats running for the position of President. If so he'd maybe have to begin fundraising for New York candidates and he'd maybe do something else- but he was getting ahead of himself.

As he neared his office, John bumped into his personal assistant. A warm smile grew on his face as he looked at her.

"Mr. Donaldson, the first set of funding has been transferred through. The next should be through should be transferred within the next seventy-two hours." She said as she followed John into the elevator.

"Great," he said. "Did you hear about Wolf and his brain cancer?" John replied as the elevator doors closed and began taking the two up to their desired floor of the building, which held their offices.

"I'm sure you're delighted, John." She said through a smile. "I'm just glad I won't have to listen to another four years of you complaining about how Clifford should've won."

John, who was about to start another Clifford rant, caught himself before he could.

"You're right, I am delighted." A smile grew wide on his face.

The door of the elevator slid open and they both parted ways, one heading left and one heading right. John who headed left towards his office looked around and admired the company that he built from the ground up. While there were a few bumps at the start, it finally smoothed out and the Hedge Fund really took off. He was very proud of it.

He entered his office and took a seat behind his large mahogany desk. John then proceeded to lean back in his chair and rest his feet on his desk. He closed his eyes and began to go into deep thought. He was living the best life.
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Postby Azekopolaltion » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Tim Westra
@WestraNJ

Any policy that progressives consider should include everyone in the discussion. As such, we can't make sweeping reforms on climate without the input of fossil fuel workers, or sweeping electoral reforms without consulting smaller states.

Tim Westra
@WestraNJ

Electoral reform is certainly something we have to focus on. I'd like to listen to the input of the Democratic field: what should be done about contentious issues such as the Supreme Court and the electoral college in America? We need to work together as a primary field to hash out our positions on these issues.
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Puertollano
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:00 pm

Levi Murphy
@LeviMurphy

I am proud of Senator Winthrop's Green New Deal in the Senate, which I co-sponsored, because of its desire to create a just transition. No one has to lose their jobs during the climate crisis (and we have to be real, it is a crisis) and the GND ensures that employment is guaranteed; better employment at that.

J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)

Sarenium
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarenium » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:08 am

Azekopolaltion wrote:
(Image)
Tim Westra
@WestraNJ

Electoral reform is certainly something we have to focus on. I'd like to listen to the input of the Democratic field: what should be done about contentious issues such as the Supreme Court and the electoral college in America? We need to work together as a primary field to hash out our positions on these issues.

Jillian Dayton
@JillianDayton

Electoral Reform needs to begin with #FairnessFirst, small state or big state, every state can agree that politicians should not be able to choose their voters. Lets pass the FAIR Act before we start talking about wider ranging reform!
...I'd like to do you slowly...
Says Paul Keating
Just another Australian.

Just be Ben Shapiro: Debate your wife into an orgasm; "hypothetically say I moved my hand to..."

Fronket
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Fronket » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Azekopolaltion wrote:
(Image)
Tim Westra
@WestraNJ

Any policy that progressives consider should include everyone in the discussion. As such, we can't make sweeping reforms on climate without the input of fossil fuel workers, or sweeping electoral reforms without consulting smaller states.

(Image)
Tim Westra
@WestraNJ

Senator Ben Little
@MarylandSen

We must abolish the electoral college. It is a racist scam designed to uplift the voice of white-majority states while silencing the marginalized and underprivileged of minority populations. Due to severe racial disparities in certain states, the Electoral College effectively weighs white voters over voters of color, as opposed to a ‘one person, one vote’ system where all our votes are counted equally. RT if you agree. #AbolishElectoralCollege

Senator Ben Little
@MarylandSen

In regard to the #FAIRAct, I'm happy to say that I support it 100%. It is imperative that the practice of partisan gerrymandering is eliminated at once in this country. #AbolishElectoralCollege

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:30 pm

Fronket wrote:
Azekopolaltion wrote:
(Image)
Tim Westra
@WestraNJ

(Image)
Tim Westra
@WestraNJ

Senator Ben Little
@MarylandSen

We must abolish the electoral college. It is a racist scam designed to uplift the voice of white-majority states while silencing the marginalized and underprivileged of minority populations. Due to severe racial disparities in certain states, the Electoral College effectively weighs white voters over voters of color, as opposed to a ‘one person, one vote’ system where all our votes are counted equally. RT if you agree. #AbolishElectoralCollege

Barry Anderson
@MissouriPeoplesSenator

Abolishing the electoral college would lead to a disastrous situation where small states would be bullied by large states. It is needed to keep this country fair and federal. #ProtectTheElectoralCollege

Barry Anderson
@MissouriPeoplesSenator

#SocialistDems like Ben Little are now showing their open contempt for America by calling the system the founding fathers devised a 'racist scam'. Disgusting! #ProtectTheElectoralCollege
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Fronket
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Fronket » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
Fronket wrote:
(Image)
Senator Ben Little
@MarylandSen

Barry Anderson
@MissouriPeoplesSenator

Abolishing the electoral college would lead to a disastrous situation where small states would be bullied by large states. It is needed to keep this country fair and federal. #ProtectTheElectoralCollege

Barry Anderson
@MissouriPeoplesSenator

#SocialistDems like Ben Little are now showing their open contempt for America by calling the system the founding fathers devised a 'racist scam'. Disgusting! #ProtectTheElectoralCollege

Senator Ben Little
@MarylandSen

The Founding Fathers were ahead of their time. They also believed in outdated, morally bankrupt ideas like slavery. Are the Republican Party and @MissouriPeoplesSenator really insinuating that all ideas of the Founders, like slavery, were ok? #AbolishElectoralCollege

Senator Ben Little
@MarylandSen

Also, interesting that you call me a socialist. I believe in markets. I believe in fair capitalism. What I don't believe in is injustice. I guess the only #FakeNews is coming from the GOP.
Last edited by Fronket on Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Postby Azekopolaltion » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:45 pm

Tim Westra
@WestraNJ

Happy to say that my book, Rational Radicalism, will be releasing on Feb 2nd. The book covers one thing: democracy, or rather, our lack of it. Working people, communities of color, and young people have been shut out of the democratic process for too long. My book discusses the need to democratize our economy, our politics, and our society in big, bold ways to save our country from the establishment elite. Preorder today on the Barnes and Noble site.

Tim Westra
@WestraNJ

My book will not be made available on Amazon, which has stifled economic competition and has abused their workers, and it will not be advertised on Facebook, which has used our private information for profit and sold our democracy to the highest foreign bidder. Preorder on Barnes and Noble, and buy at your local bookstore on February 2nd. #RationalRadicalism
Last edited by Azekopolaltion on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:12 pm

Nathaniel Richardson
Washington, DC
01/25/2019

Arguably the happiest special interest group under Wolf was the Judicial Crisis Network. Wolf had confirmed a massive number of judges, in spite of democratic obstruction and had more or less given traditional conservatives, the Judicial Crisis Network and the Federalist Society a blank check on judges and he had delivered.

Meeting with the JCN today Richardson affirmed he would continue the trend, additionally he emphasized how large a priority keeping the Senate was and pointed to his heavy campaigning for candidates across the country as evidence of his commitment. Richardson expressed his admiration for (Not Gorsuch), specifically his prose and to a lesser extent (Not Kavanaugh) and reaffirmed his commitment to judges in the Scalia mold.

He spoke about specific cases they tried before joining the supreme court, specifically citing the dissention (not Kavanaugh) authored about the CFPB and the unconstitutional structure of the agency. For (Not Gorsuch) he cited the Hobby Lobby case and AM v. Holmes where (Not Gorsuch) spoke about criminal justice. A specific issue Richardson wanted future justices to have strong opinions on was Chevron deference, which Richardson saw as a massive threat from unelected bureaucrats.

He then began to detail his objectives for the courts and judges BEYOND what Wolf had done. Firstly he would push the senate to raise the vote threshold for cloture on confirmation to 60 votes. Democrats had essentially weaponized the cloture process and used it to delay confirmation, the Senate has been forced to take more than 80 cloture votes on judicial nominees by Trump, which is over 10 times as many as for the previous five presidents at this point combined.

Given his reputation for being more in favor of LGBTQ individuals Richardson made sure to bring up the current debates regarding sex and gender. Specifically he brought up the Connecticut track case where 2 biological males identified as female and then competed in the high school track women’s league where they took gold and silver. This impacted scholarship money for the girls who had worked years towards their goal and the gold. Richardson expressed his firm opposition to this and his opinion that Title VII specifically would be a good basis to refute Trans activists on the basis it is discrimination against women. Richardson didn’t have a problem with a transgender individual legally identifying as the gender of their choice, but increasingly trans activists had been lashing with women’s groups which was an opening by which they could create a favorable legal ruling. Forcing women to undress in locker rooms with men or to compete athletically against competitors with male muscle mass and stamina wouldn’t respect equality but undermine it. Richardson referred to this as “making sure the Court stands up for reality, Biology isn’t bigotry.”

Richardson plainly rejected suggestions to restructure the court, increasing the number of justices on the Supreme Court, rotating justices on and off in some way, or imposing term limits on federal judges… anything of the sort. He quoted Justice Bork “the court must be controlled by principles exterior to the will of the Justices otherwise there is no reason any of us should obey it.”

Richardson did believe a majority of Americans see the court as motivated or influenced by politics, and that was negative. He believed that the problem was on both sides to an extent but the Left much more so, believing judges make decisions based on personal impressions, opinions, religion and reflections and that their decisions can and should serve certain political interests.

Finally he discuss religious liberty. The wedding photographer, florist, and cake baker are no longer able to practice their faith at work without fear of retribution for refusing to fall in line with the new government orthodoxy. He would ensure that all nominees supported the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment and held to the fact it is not limited to freedom of worship, but includes the heart, mind, and soul of religious people, thereby guiding how people act in the public square. Richardson supported measures such as pre-enforcement challenges, which would keep people from being punished before they had a chance to challenge an unconstitutional law citing the case of Brush & Nib Studio in Arizona.

After a long meeting where Richardson demonstrated his extensive knowledge of the courts, even sharing his favor Supreme Court Case... New York v. United States (1992), and the quote “The Constitution protects us from our own best intentions: It divides power among sovereigns and among branches of government precisely so that we may resist the temptation to concentrate power in one location as an expedient solution to the crisis of the day… a judiciary that licensed extra constitutional government with each issue of comparable gravity would, in the long run, be far worse.”

Richardson hoped it would be enough to win their support.
Last edited by Dentali on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shah Rukh Khan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Shah Rukh Khan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:19 pm

Rep. Alejandro Nuñez
@Nunez4MA

Watch my latest speech on the House floor in support of a carbon tax to fight climate change: nuñez.house.gov

Azekopolaltion
Ambassador

Postby Azekopolaltion » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:37 pm

Tim Westra 2020: Medicare For America
All Americans are entitled to go to the doctor when they're sick and not go bankrupt after staying in the hospital. We must clearly say to the private health insurance companies: whether you like it or not, the United States will join every other major country on earth and guarantee healthcare to all people as a right. But we can’t just scream “Medicare for All” and expect to get it done. There has to be a clear plan for implementation. Let’s get to Medicare for All in five years with Medicare for America, an affordable public option for all.

About half of all people who file for bankruptcy do so in the aftermath of a serious medical problem. And here is the kicker: about three-quarters of them have health insurance, but it just isn’t enough.

The Affordable Care Act, which Tim helped to write, made massive strides in expanding access to health insurance coverage, and we must defend Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act against Republican attempts to rip health care away from people. But it’s time for the next step.

Tim supports the general idea of Senator Abigail Winthrop’s National Health Program Act – more commonly known as Medicare for All, which would provide all Americans with a public health care program. In an ideal scenario, Medicare for All would be the best way to give every single person in this country a guarantee of high-quality health care. Everybody is covered. Nobody goes broke because of a medical bill. No more fighting with insurance companies.

The problem is, it isn’t that simple.

Sure, there are folks in this race who keep repeating how hard they’ll fight for Medicare for All. But they have no idea how they’re going to get there. There’s no implementation plan, no idea on how to phase it in. Senator Winthrop’s bill, while an excellent framework for such a system, also offers no details on introduction of such a system. Granted, that isn’t the purpose of her bill, but it is the responsibility of every presidential hopeful to outline how they plan on getting to single-payer healthcare.

Luckily for concerned union members and the rest of the American people, Tim has a plan.

Centered on his initial Medicare for America plan, his approach will achieve universal coverage and put Americans back in charge of their health by making care more affordable and giving Americans real choice in the first five years of his presidency. Tim’s vision will build on this with additional plans to lower the cost of prescription drugs, increase equity, protect and expand access to health care for women, drive innovation, and address many other aspects of care.

Medicare for America would be an affordable public plan that will incentivize private insurers to compete on prices and bring down costs. The choice of a public plan empowers people to make their own decisions regarding the type of health care that makes sense for them by leveling the playing field between patients and the health care system. It gives the American people a choice and trusts them to set the pace at which our country moves in a better direction on health care.

Under Medicare for America, if you like your private insurance you can keep it. If corporate insurers are unable or unwilling to lower costs or offer plans that are dramatically better than what’s available from the government, competition from this public insurance alternative will naturally lead to Medicare for All. This is what we expect to occur.

THE MEDICARE FOR AMERICA PUBLIC PLAN

Through Tim’s Medicare for America plan, anyone—whether you’re currently uninsured, have employer insurance, are on Medicaid, or buy coverage on your own through the marketplace—will be able to opt in to an affordable, comprehensive public alternative.

Workers will have the option of declining employer-sponsored insurance and choosing the public option using their employer’s contribution, and they will be eligible for financial assistance. Employers, including small business owners, will be able to buy into the public option instead of sponsoring private coverage. The choice of a public plan empowers people to make their own decisions regarding the type of health care that makes sense for them by leveling the playing field between patient and the health care system. It gives the American people a choice and trusts them to set the pace at which our country moves in a better direction on health care.

This is how it’ll work:

- Everyone will be automatically enrolled in Medicare for America, including newborns and the uninsured. The auto-enrollment process will include the ability for individuals to opt out of Medicare for America if they enroll in qualified coverage under a private plan; more on that below.

- All US residents will be able to opt into the comprehensive public plan at any time. Individuals would be able to obtain supplementary private insurance, but could opt-in to Medicare for America if they are unhappy with their current insurance. The public alternative will provide the same essential health benefits as those currently available on the marketplaces and ensure that everyone has access to high-quality, comprehensive coverage. Specifically, it will cover the Affordable Care Act’s 10 essential health benefits, dental, hearing, vision, conditional abortions, infertility services, gender-confirming procedures, home and community based LTSS, nursing facility care, EPSDT for children, non-emergency medical transportation, and any other service covered by any state Medicaid program on the date of enactment

- The Medicare for America option will not charge premiums for children and enrollees below 200% of the poverty line, and deductibles will be eliminated for everybody. The premium for individuals with household income between 200% and 600% of the federal poverty line will increase on a linear sliding scale up to 8% of income. Individuals with income above 600% of the federal poverty line would pay the lower of 8% of income or the full premium amount. The Secretary of Health and Human Services will determine the full premium amount, adjusted by family size.

- The public plan would eliminate copayments for children and families earning below 200% of the federal poverty line, and would cap out-of-pocket costs for those earning more at $200, charged on a sliding scale. This means that the poorest families will have healthcare free at the point of service, while others will see health care costs become much more affordable than the current system.

- Hospitals will be reimbursed adequately by Medicare for America. The Secretary will establish payment rates based on rates that would have applied under current Medicare or Medicaid (whichever is higher) and are necessary to maintain network adequacy, except for hospital payment rates that shall be at least 110% of the higher of current Medicare or Medicaid rates and further increased in underserved areas.

- Private insurers would be permitted to offer Medicare plans as a part of this system that adhere to strict Medicare for America requirements on costs and benefits. This creates choice in the healthcare system while ensuring that costs stay in control, even under a private insurance plan. This would function similarly to current Medicare Advantage plans, which cover about a third of Medicare seniors, and operate within the public system. Medicare will set the rules of the road for these plans, including price and quality, and private insurance companies will have to abide.

- Current employer-sponsored plans would be preserved if they abide by Medicare for America standards. These employer-sponsored plans will be transitioned into the Medicare system, and will have to follow price regulations set by Medicare. In short, anybody currently covered by employer sponsored plans may opt to keep them if these insurers provide a high-quality affordable plan that matches Medicare coverage.

- Medicare for America will eliminate all $81 billion in outstanding patient medical debt. In the United States of America, the wealthiest country in the history of the world, one illness or disease should not ruin a family’s financial life and future. In America today, it is unacceptable that one out of every six Americans have past-due medical bills on their credit report, totaling $81 billion. The largest share of that medical debt is held by 27-year-olds who lose access to their parents’ insurance after age 26. Today, 25 percent of 24 to 55 year olds throughout the country have outstanding medical debt. Under this plan, the federal government will negotiate and pay off past-due medical bills in collections that have been reported to credit agencies.

HOW DO WE PAY FOR MEDICARE FOR AMERICA?

Anybody running for president has a responsibility to be straight with the American people: will their healthcare plan require a tax hike on the middle class and, if so, will it be worth less than what they’re paying in premiums now? Single payer proposals are projected to actually cost more in taxes for middle class Americans than what they are currently paying in premiums. Tim wants to save people money, not increase their costs.

Here’s the good news: Medicare for America does not require increased taxes on middle class families.

Many public option proposals claim they will be affordable, but lack the substantive funding mechanisms to pay for truly subsidized/free coverage. Under the current system, our country will be paying $52 trillion over ten years to pay for healthcare costs. Tim's public option proposal would require an additional $10 trillion in federal spending that will actually save money in the long term and wouldn't require any middle class tax hikes. Here’s how we intend to pay for this public option:

- Savings from rolling in federal and state Medicaid spending would contribute $7.7 trillion towards financing Medicare for America.

- Eliminating the wasteful employer-sponsored insurance federal subsidy would save about $4 trillion.

- Any additional costs would be covered by premiums and cost sharing for wealthier users in Medicare for America.

CUTTING PRESCRIPTION DRUG PRICES

The greed of the pharmaceutical industry that forces working people to ration their medicine must be curbed.

Tim will make sure everyone can afford prescription drugs by:

- Allowing the Department of Health and Human Services to negotiate with the big drug companies to lower prescription drug prices.

- Allowing patients, pharmacists, and wholesalers to buy low-cost prescription drugs from Canada and other industrialized countries.

- Cutting prescription drug prices in half by pegging prices to the median drug price in five major countries: Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Japan.

So that’s Tim Westra’s plan: expand on the progress made under Bahariacare, immediately offer an improved Medicare for America public option to all Americans, thus expanding coverage, reducing costs, increasing options for care, and finally reaching universal healthcare.

And what will the result be? Health insurance for every American. Expansive coverage for nearly all medical benefits. Continuity of care. Lower health care costs for American consumers and our country overall. Improved health, well-being, and productivity for the American people.
Last edited by Azekopolaltion on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:08 am, edited 12 times in total.
Ro Khanna/AOC 2024

Puertollano
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Puertollano » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:08 pm

Levi Murphy
@LeviMurphy

Medicare for All is a key component of my campaign. As President, I would adopt the plan of Senator Winthrop in full.

J.P. Randy Cramp (R-TX)

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:14 pm

Puertollano wrote:
(Image)
Levi Murphy
@LeviMurphy

Medicare for All is a key component of my campaign. As President, I would adopt the plan of Senator Winthrop in full.

(Image)

Jane Martinez
@SunsanBMartinez

To translate for @LeviMurphy "I'm too lazy to write my own bill so i'm just going to use another person's policy". Come on guys, I don't agree with Medicare for all but if you're running for President on it you should at least demonstrate a strong understanding of the policy. Nothing i've seen from Senator Murphy demonstrates he's done the math.

Shah Rukh Khan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Shah Rukh Khan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:38 pm

Puertollano wrote:
(Image)
Levi Murphy
@LeviMurphy

(Image)

Rep. Alejandro Nuñez
@Nunez4MA

Senator Murphy is basically running to be a Winthrop Wannabe. I say the presidential primary field should get the real one so that the Massachusetts Senate seat can be vacated for a useful, level-headed Democrat. Let’s ask Senator Winthrop to be honest with constituents: is she running for President?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse