NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In retrospect..

The UK was right to handover HK to China
16%
The UK should have kept HK
20%
The UK should have set up HK as an independent, democratic state
60%
Other
4%

Total votes : 1448

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:57 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Duhon wrote:
the majority of hk denizens speak cantonese, as do most people living near them
it's not so much a nationalist current as it is democratic
they'd be perfectly happy with chinese rule if that rule weren't so repressive and beguiling

Increasingly, the protests are looking a lot more anti-China rather than anti-PRC. They do not want to be part of a Chinese state, period.

Because the idea that Hong Kong's handover back to China will be a trigger for China to become democratic has been bankrupt, something becoming more and more apparent since Xi became its leader. That, combined with poor international reception of (mainland) Chinese, and the continued propaganda of PRC equating itself with China and all its cultural baggage with the intention of painting all opposition to its rule "anti-Chinese separatism" has finally resulted in more and more people saying "alright, guess we might as well be anti-China then". Unfortunate, but understandable. That said, whether separatism (which is still a relative minority among the protesters) constitutes anti-China is debatable.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:04 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
Increasingly, the protests are looking a lot more anti-China rather than anti-PRC. They do not want to be part of a Chinese state, period.

don't see why they gotta be.

We don't want to be part of this Chinese state.

One aspect of how the CCP is essentially infiltrating HK is through language. Primary school students now learn Chinese in Mandarin not Cantonese. Walk the streets of any city in China and the predominant language is Mandarin, this is different to even just 10 years ago. TV channels now all broadcast in Mandarin.

Take away any individual sense of identity and it's easier to dominate society.

Yet mainly we would prefer to maintain our freedoms, of speech, of media and our rights. Why should we have to essentially regress from enjoying such freedoms to having them taken away from us.

Greater pressure needs to be brought on China to change, and that will take the combined effort of governments, institutions, companies and, most importantly, individuals to maintain pressure on those, to ask the question of whether it's right to turn a blind eye to repression, social control, a lack of rule of law and zero right to challenge authority all in the name of making a quick buck.

I think it's time everyone started to ask this question, of themselves and of those who profess in constitutions, mission statements and supposed values to stand for liberty, equality and mutual respect.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
don't see why they gotta be.

One aspect of how the CCP is essentially infiltrating HK is through language. Primary school students now learn Chinese in Mandarin not Cantonese. Walk the streets of any city in China and the predominant language is Mandarin, this is different to even just 10 years ago. TV channels now all broadcast in Mandarin.

Yet mainly we would prefer to maintain our freedoms, of speech, of media and our rights. Why should we have to essentially regress from enjoying such freedoms to having them taken away from us.

Greater pressure needs to be brought on China to change, and that will take the combined effort of governments, institutions, companies and, most importantly, individuals to maintain pressure on those, to ask the question of whether it's right to turn a blind eye to repression, social control, a lack of rule of law and zero right to challenge authority all in the name of making a quick buck.

I think it's time everyone started to ask this question, of themselves and of those who profess in constitutions, mission statements and supposed values to stand for liberty, equality and mutual respect.

It is very hard to tell from over here because of the multiple layers of filtering, , but it doesnt appear the rest of china is on your side.

And as an American, what can I do for you? There is going to be a rally in support of HK in the city, I could attend that.

I have had chijese products removed from contracts because they violate "buy American", tbh, I did that before this HK issue, and just have continued to do so.

But what could I, as an outsider, do for HK?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:31 pm

To be honest, the best thing someone far abroad can do for the protesters might just be to attend those rallies and demonstrations, and be prepared to do that for the long term.

Demonstrate that the world is watching, and will keep doing so well after this news cycle is over.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

It is very hard to tell from over here because of the multiple layers of filtering, , but it doesnt appear the rest of china is on your side.

And as an American, what can I do for you? There is going to be a rally in support of HK in the city, I could attend that.

I have had chijese products removed from contracts because they violate "buy American", tbh, I did that before this HK issue, and just have continued to do so.

But what could I, as an outsider, do for HK?

Don't worry, there's a global campaign being set up that will outline exactly what can be done - so far the nature of the protests have led to a somewhat fragmented, if not successful, approach but at least in HK people are thinking 'what are my skills and how can I apply them to help'.

HK will deal with HK (or China will), but it might take a global effort to pressure China to move in a better direction in regards to freedoms and rights, which technically it's bound to do. That will take a clear and undeniable yet focused approach to the basic principles at stake here.

Ultimately, the fundamental question of whether individuals should retain the freedom to express their views and free access to information is compelling if framed correctly.

It's not just up to individuals, as I noted earlier.. why isn't there more call in the UN, given it's charter, to recognise Taiwan as a simple example. Yet this does take, to some degree, wider pressure from everyone to ask these questions about the difference between what's stated as important yet the actions that undermine this.

If nothing else, as individuals, we can make a choice about what we accept and the actions we take to support that. If your own contributions listed above were undertaken by more governments, institutions, companies and individuals then there'd already be a strong message going out.

It may be a large number of people in China don't see it framed this way, but certainly a large number get pissed off when links are removed, people are blocked, images suppressed.

And it's not just against China, it expands into a wide array of things where activism is already taking place, the hypocrisy of pretending to be concerned about climate change and yet barely a mention in Democrat primary debates. It's time people were held to account.

Technology causes its problems but also represents the ability to create a mass outcry for better representation.

Beyond all that I think, right now, what HK needs is a little hope.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:52 pm

Don't expect much from the UN. With China itself being a member, and most of the members content with the status quo of Taiwan being under China, there's no way international bodies like the US or Russia would risk a Chinese takeover of the island by recognizing Taiwan's own sovereignty.

Geopolitics is hard. Not for the naive.
How to be legitimately recognised in NS? Be a proper Roleplayer.
In a community where knowledge should be used to uplift the teachable and be used as an interest instead of a necessity, the arrogant abuse of knowledge is interesting to watch.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:00 pm

Relikai wrote:Don't expect much from the UN. With China itself being a member, and most of the members content with the status quo of Taiwan being under China, there's no way international bodies like the US or Russia would risk a Chinese takeover of the island by recognizing Taiwan's own sovereignty.

Last time a growing authoritarian power that was looking to wipe out an entire religious ethnicity was cause for a World War. We don't want or expect the same but we have the tools to create pressure that doesn't require a call to arms.

It's 2019, you'd have thought the world would have learned from 1945 the dangers of idling by while an authoritarian state demands expanded influence and power. Note that Xi Jinping believes everyone, anywhere of Chinese ethnicity is subservient to the CCP first above all else.

Down the line that places even Singapore in danger.

He contends that this “New Era” is based on the Party’s fourteen organizing principles, which must be upheld. The core principle is that “the CCP leads everything, everywhere” and thus needs to build “a shared destiny of mankind.” This shared destiny is to create a world modeled after China’s political system which, if realized. would condemn many states to oppressive rule.

Link

We cannot just sit back and say this is just inevitable.

Still, it is more dreadful to realize that within a far shorter period of time, China’s economic, military, and political power will present an existential challenge to the free world and western civilization. It is unclear whether the world is ready to meet that challenge.
Last edited by Bombadil on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

十年

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Relikai wrote:Don't expect much from the UN. With China itself being a member, and most of the members content with the status quo of Taiwan being under China, there's no way international bodies like the US or Russia would risk a Chinese takeover of the island by recognizing Taiwan's own sovereignty.

Last time a growing authoritarian power that was looking to wipe out an entire religious ethnicity was cause for a World War. We don't want or expect the same but we have the tools to create pressure that doesn't require a call to arms.

It's 2019, you'd have thought the world would have learned from 1945 the dangers of idling by while an authoritarian state demands expanded influence and power. Note that Xi Jinping believes everyone, anywhere of Chinese ethnicity is subservient to the CCP first above all else.

Down the line that places even Singapore in danger.

He contends that this “New Era” is based on the Party’s fourteen organizing principles, which must be upheld. The core principle is that “the CCP leads everything, everywhere” and thus needs to build “a shared destiny of mankind.” This shared destiny is to create a world modeled after China’s political system which, if realized. would condemn many states to oppressive rule.

Link

We cannot just sit back and say this is just inevitable.

Still, it is more dreadful to realize that within a far shorter period of time, China’s economic, military, and political power will present an existential challenge to the free world and western civilization. It is unclear whether the world is ready to meet that challenge.

It's a 'World War' only because the World was controlled by a limited number of colonial powers when in fact Germany's influence affected only France, Central Europe and Russia. It's 2019, and Eurocentrism =/= World.

Unfortunately that link is not a reliable source, given how much speculation and assumption it uses in its formation. There are come accurate interpretations, but I see enough vague claims intended to mislead readers.

Inaccurate. Instead of being subservient to the CCP, Xi believes that every Chinese person who has their heritage in China would be affected by events happening in China. Further interpretation states that there is the belief that each Chinese person could be affected by issues in China via cultural ties with their ancestral home.

That he believes that all should be subservient, this is the only place among dozens which I've read, and the first and only claim I encountered.

In Singapore, we have no fear nor the insecurity that people with agendas showcase on a frequent basis. We have a strong leadership and sovereign identity among not just people of the Chinese race, but among the community of races upon which the country was built. While it is important to know what happens in a growing economy near one's backyard, over 40 years of independent rule as a sovereign nation has shaped us against any Chinese influence.

Again, we do not share the paranoia of the West that we would soon be engulfed in a new wave of Chinese influence, nor lack the backbone to oppose and say a hard 'no' to or stand up for ourselves. When our armoured vehicles were detained by Hong Kong, and Singapore stood with the UN ruling about the South China Sea, diplomats faced China head-on with a clear line drawn about where we stand.

We don't want or expect the same but we have the tools to create pressure that doesn't require a call to arms.

This makes the most sense. If one is concerned about what should one do about China's rise, look to the complacent powers of the US and Europe. While they continue to intervene and project power via military means, civilian consumers are being influenced by what fits their wallets best.
In a community where knowledge should be used to uplift the teachable and be used as an interest instead of a necessity, the arrogant abuse of knowledge is interesting to watch.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Relikai wrote:Again, we do not share the paranoia of the West that we would soon be engulfed in a new wave of Chinese influence, nor lack the backbone to oppose and say a hard 'no' to or stand up for ourselves. When our armoured vehicles were detained by Hong Kong, and Singapore stood with the UN ruling about the South China Sea, diplomats faced China head-on with a clear line drawn about where we stand.

It's certainly being discussed..

Chinese President Xi Jinping's policies of blurring the line between "Chinese people" and "overseas Chinese", intensified propaganda, and new laws related to overseas Chinese have all caused heightened concern in Singapore, he said.

"Singapore's Government views identity as an existential issue and is likely to resist CCP efforts to make inroads in this area," he added.

Link

Don't underestimate the persistence of the CCP to continue to drive influence through business and soft and hard power to bring SG into line with Xi's stated goal of united Chinese under the command of the CCP.

You're just not the key priority on the radar yet. Allow HK and Taiwan to fall and you will be.

十年

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:55 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Relikai wrote:Again, we do not share the paranoia of the West that we would soon be engulfed in a new wave of Chinese influence, nor lack the backbone to oppose and say a hard 'no' to or stand up for ourselves. When our armoured vehicles were detained by Hong Kong, and Singapore stood with the UN ruling about the South China Sea, diplomats faced China head-on with a clear line drawn about where we stand.

Chinese President Xi Jinping's policies of blurring the line between "Chinese people" and "overseas Chinese", intensified propaganda, and new laws related to overseas Chinese have all caused heightened concern in Singapore, he said.

"Singapore's Government views identity as an existential issue and is likely to resist CCP efforts to make inroads in this area," he added.

Link

Don't underestimate the persistence of the CCP to continue to drive influence through business and soft and hard power to bring SG into line with Xi's stated goal of united Chinese under the command of the CCP.

You're just not the key priority on the radar yet. Allow HK and Taiwan to fall and you will be.

Clarification - Cited Source is a Pro-Taiwan, US-based report, with no grounds on local studies therefore is not a direct measure of local/ground sentiment. Therefore natural anti-China bias is to be expected. Instead the more one reads it, the more inaccuracies and assumptions can be uncovered.

Therefore it is not a reliable source.

No one said that it's not being discussed. It is because it is being discussed that we are wary of both Chinese and US attempts at influencing our culture and diplomatic stance which, should one side succeed, be a sad day for our sovereignty.

In our state of neutrality, Chinese institutions are as welcome as institutes from the US, UK and Australia among others. On the contrary to some reports, the majority here do the opposite of what the report claims.

Putting inaccurate claims aside, the old roots and links between China and Singapore lies way before Communism existed. What was stated is nothing new, and if visiting ancestral homes is considered being influenced by foreign powers, then it is a sad day for critical thinking and logic as a whole.

Putting false claims aside, if you lived here you'd understand why some claim us to be a 'police state', given how much enforcement and counter-espionage is involved to defend ourselves against foreign influences from all spheres.

Oh, and the Government isn't alone in resisting foreign influences.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:13 pm

I think Hong Kong/China has much to learn from Singapore in terms of protest management and law and order.

I think if this illegal protest had instead occurred in Singapore, it would never have gotten this far.

As such, maybe China/Hk should also adopt the Singaporean approach to justice and law and order.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:18 pm

Relikai wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Link

Clarification - Cited Source is a Pro-Taiwan, US-based report, with no grounds on local studies therefore is not a direct measure of local/ground sentiment. Therefore natural anti-China bias is to be expected. Instead the more one reads it, the more inaccuracies and assumptions can be uncovered.

No one said that it's not being discussed. It is because it is being discussed that we are wary of both Chinese and US attempts at influencing our culture and diplomatic stance which, should one side succeed, be a sad day for our sovereignty.

In our state of neutrality, Chinese institutions are as welcome as institutes from the US, UK and Australia among others. On the contrary to some reports, the majority here do the opposite of what the report claims.

Putting inaccurate claims aside, the old roots and links between China and Singapore lies way before Communism existed. What was stated is nothing new, and if visiting ancestral homes is considered being influenced by foreign powers, then it is a sad day for critical thinking and logic as a whole.

Putting false claims aside, if you lived here you'd understand why some claim us to be a 'police state', given how much enforcement and counter-espionage is involved to defend ourselves against foreign influences from all spheres.

From a Singaporean source then..

And, there are some who may shy away from Singapore as a base, according to NUS’s Chong. “If your business happens to be in media, Singapore’s own increasing restrictions in these areas might discourage these businesses from coming to Singapore,” he says.

Meanwhile, Chong cautions that the influx of assets and businesses from Hong Kong could come with its own set of problems. Singapore could end up being caught in the middle if China requests for the extradition for individuals residing or transiting in Singapore, for instance. While there is no extradition treaty between Singapore and China, Singapore might have to start dealing with Chinese pressure and risk having extradition politicised.

“The question will be how Singapore faces such pressure. Because if it is unclear how these people violated any law and it seems like a politicised exercise, then Singapore has to deal with the risk of its own system being politicised by China’s policies,” says NUS’s Chong. “When we have more businesses relocating to Singapore, as the US-China tensions get worse, there will be an uncomfortable situation that Singapore has to ask itself: To what extent does it comply with demands from one side or the other? That sets up a potentially trickier situation for Singapore to navigate.”

Link

Don't think it isn't coming.

十年

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:26 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Relikai wrote:

From a Singaporean source then..

And, there are some who may shy away from Singapore as a base, according to NUS’s Chong. “If your business happens to be in media, Singapore’s own increasing restrictions in these areas might discourage these businesses from coming to Singapore,” he says.

Meanwhile, Chong cautions that the influx of assets and businesses from Hong Kong could come with its own set of problems. Singapore could end up being caught in the middle if China requests for the extradition for individuals residing or transiting in Singapore, for instance. While there is no extradition treaty between Singapore and China, Singapore might have to start dealing with Chinese pressure and risk having extradition politicised.

“The question will be how Singapore faces such pressure. Because if it is unclear how these people violated any law and it seems like a politicised exercise, then Singapore has to deal with the risk of its own system being politicised by China’s policies,” says NUS’s Chong. “When we have more businesses relocating to Singapore, as the US-China tensions get worse, there will be an uncomfortable situation that Singapore has to ask itself: To what extent does it comply with demands from one side or the other? That sets up a potentially trickier situation for Singapore to navigate.”

Link

Don't think it isn't coming.

Oh I'm so shocked that I have no idea foreign influences are interested in us!

That's kinda old tbh, a repeat of what we've been observing and talking in social circles and political commentaries here on a quarterly basis at the very least.

We've been battling US influences for decades. If our guy can fuck the CIA, and cane the shit out of US ingrates another challenger would just be a challenge for us to face.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:32 pm

Relikai wrote:Oh I'm so shocked that I have no idea foreign influences are interested in us!

That's kinda old tbh, a repeat of what we've been observing and talking in social circles and political commentaries here on a quarterly basis at the very least.

We've been battling US influences for decades. If our guy can fuck the CIA, and cane the shit out of US ingrates another challenger would just be a challenge for us to face.

Except SG isn't really as reliant on the US..

The top export destinations of Singapore are Hong Kong ($60.8B), China ($50.3B), Malaysia ($28.4B), Indonesia ($17.9B) and the United States ($16.6B).

Those HK exports are basically into China.. and China will be far more adamant in flexing its muscles.

十年

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Relikai wrote:Oh I'm so shocked that I have no idea foreign influences are interested in us!

The top export destinations of Singapore are Hong Kong ($60.8B), China ($50.3B), Malaysia ($28.4B), Indonesia ($17.9B) and the United States ($16.6B).

Those HK exports are basically into China.. and China will be far more adamant in flexing its muscles.

Not sure if its paranoia or attempts to undermine our diplomatic resilience, but you can take assurance through the posts above.

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Duhon wrote:
the majority of hk denizens speak cantonese, as do most people living near them
it's not so much a nationalist current as it is democratic
they'd be perfectly happy with chinese rule if that rule weren't so repressive and beguiling

Well it makes sense. They've essentially lived separately from the Chinese (culture or state) for round 1.5 centuries. They have little modern connection with China or the Chinese outside of ancestry and geography.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:52 pm

North German Realm wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Well it makes sense. They've essentially lived separately from the Chinese (culture or state) for round 1.5 centuries. They have little modern connection with China or the Chinese outside of ancestry and geography.

this talk of chinese being fundamentally different from each other due to acculturating to differing political systems does not fit the facts or what at least dil has provided for that matter

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:55 pm

North German Realm wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Essentially false to make such claims, as the only disconnect with China was being part of the UK during that period, with the culture of the people of HK coming from Guangdong which is in China.

China is large enough to have different cultures, so using that won't stand for this part of the world.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:00 pm

My understanding is that while HK and Taiwan are (as a matter fact) Chinese

It would be unexpected (for me) for China to make a claim in Singapore. I mean, sure there is a Chinese population but it’s one of many ethnicities and it’s historically a separate place.

I just don’t see China making a claim on Singapore. This would be like claiming Vancouver tbh
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:08 pm

Relikai wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Not sure if its paranoia or attempts to undermine our diplomatic resilience, but you can take assurance through the posts above.

I'll take the cold hard economics and the known determination of the CCP in regards to all people of Chinese descent to know that their influence will be inescapable over your opinion.

Relikai wrote:Essentially false to make such claims, as the only disconnect with China was being part of the UK during that period, with the culture of the people of HK coming from Guangdong which is in China.

China is large enough to have different cultures, so using that won't stand for this part of the world.

Except those different cultures are being subsumed into one monolithic Mandarin CCP state. Even in Shanghai they bemoan the loss of Shanghaiese as the language of the street, any national TV station must now broadcast in Mandarin.

That message last Tuesday on the Sina Weibo account of Gao Bowen provoked an outcry among people in Shanghai. Mr. Gao is a television host and performer of pingtan, a traditional Shanghai art form that includes telling jokes and stories, singing and playing music, and the end of his program stirred fears that the city’s unique language and traditions are in peril.

Satellite television is broadcast nationally, and government regulations bar the use of local dialects on national television. In January, the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television issued a notice saying that all television and radio programs must use Mandarin Chinese, the standard national language, and avoid local dialects and foreign languages, China Daily reported. This policy has its critics, who say that while the central government is promoting what it calls ‘‘culture industries’’ at home and abroad, it is discouraging China’s own rich array of regional dialects and customs out of concern that strong local identities could challenge Beijing’s authority.

“This is going to be such a pity for us,’’ said Qi Jiayao, a call center employee who has campaigned to spread the use of the Shanghai dialect, which he says is under threat from the large influx of newcomers to the city who don’t speak it as well as the erosion of traditional ways of living. ‘‘Media plays a very crucial role in maintaining a language. If we have programs in the local dialect, it’s something living among us all. In order to keep a language alive it needs to be in the public sphere, not just the private sphere.’’

On the Sina Weibo account of the Shanghai Times newspaper, there was much disappointment.

‘‘Shanghai Dialect Talk is a really good program! These last years’ efforts to push Mandarin in Shanghai have really been effective. Why do they need to exterminate dialects!!!’’ wrote one commenter called Goldfish in the Grass.

Another post began: ‘‘Spread this with grief and indignation!’’ It repeated the news, then ended, ‘‘Online friends are expressing their discomfort and anger at the ending of the show.’’

‘‘This is like news of a death. I hope it proves to be just a rumor,’’ another commenter wrote.

Link

十年

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:25 pm

We've already moved onto another topic which warrants that response, so the reply is essentially out of point.

However yes, a common language is the main source of communal unity. Every sovereign country would do so having a single common language for trade and social communication.

It is worrying for dialect speakers being able to speak Mandarin, Hokkien, Teochew and Cantonese myself, but uch acts are understandable throughout the course of history, and is not unjustified no matter how much you don't like it.

That said the dialects are not taught here either, it communicated in a common enough basis at home and among family to be ingrained among our tongue. Sympathizing with the dialects, a way to maintain these tongues would be through means other than the state. Simply crying about China here and there won't maintain your traditions, like crying about English here won't reach our kids the different dialects.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:45 pm

Relikai wrote:We've already moved onto another topic which warrants that response, so the reply is essentially out of point.

However yes, a common language is the main source of communal unity. Every sovereign country would do so having a single common language for trade and social communication.

It is worrying for dialect speakers being able to speak Mandarin, Hokkien, Teochew and Cantonese myself, but uch acts are understandable throughout the course of history, and is not unjustified no matter how much you don't like it.

That said the dialects are not taught here either, it communicated in a common enough basis at home and among family to be ingrained among our tongue. Sympathizing with the dialects, a way to maintain these tongues would be through means other than the state. Simply crying about China here and there won't maintain your traditions, like crying about English here won't reach our kids the different dialects.

Plenty of countries promote more than one official language, including Singapore, despite functioning overall in one. It's one thing to have a single common understood language and another to stamp out any form of media other that one single government mandated language.

Sovereign countries with 2 official languages:

Afghanistan : Pashto and Persian
Algeria : Arabic and Berber
Belarus : Belarusian and Russian
Burundi : French and Kirundi
Cameroon : English and French
Canada : English and French
Central African Republic : French and Sango
Chad : Arabic and French
Cyprus : Greek and Turkish
Djibouti : Arabic and French
East Timor : Portuguese and Tetum
Finland : Finnish and Swedish
Haiti : French and Haitian Creole
India : English and Hindi
Ireland : English and Irish
Israel : Arabic and Hebrew
Kazakhstan : Kazakh and Russian
Kenya : English and Swahili
Kiribati : English and Gilbertese
Kosovo : Albanian and Serbian
Kyrgyzstan : Kyrgyz and Russian
Lesotho : English and Sotho
Madagascar : French and Malagasy
Malawi : Chewa and English
Malta : English and Maltese
Marshall Islands : English and Marshallese
Morocco : Arabic and Berber
Nauru : English and Nauruan
Pakistan : English and Urdu
Palau : English and Palauan
Paraguay : Guarani and Spanish
Philippines : English and Filipino
Samoa : English and Samoan
Somalia : Arabic and Somali
Sri Lanka : Sinhala and Tamil
Sudan : Arabic and English
Swaziland : English and Swazi
Tanzania : English and Swahili
Tonga : English and Tongan
Tuvalu : English and Tuvaluan
Uganda : English and Swahili

Sovereign countries with 3 official languages:

Belgium : Dutch, French and German
Bolivia : Aymara. Quechua and Spanish
Bosnia and Herzegovina : Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian
Comoros : Arabic, Comorian and French
Equatorial Guinea : French, Portuguese and Spanish
Fiji : English, Fijian and Fiji hindi
Luxembourg : French, German and Luxembourgish
New Zealand : English, Maori and New Zealand Sign Language
Rwanda : English, French and Kinyarwanda
Seychelles : English, French and Seychellois Creole
Vanuatu : Bislama, English and French
Zimbabwe : English, Northern Ndebele and Shona

Sovereign countries with 4 official languages:

Papua New Guinea : English, Hiri Motu, Papua New Guinean Sign Language and Tok Pisin
Singapore : Chinese, English, Malay and Tamil
Switzerland : French, German, Italian and Romansh

Sovereign country with 11 official languages:

South Africa : Afrikaans, English, Northern Sotho, Sotho, Southern Ndebele, Swazi, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa and Zulu

十年

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:59 pm

I'm already sympathizing with the attempts to chase out other dialects by the PRC, and would appreciate a similar attempt at research instead of restoring to blobs of text while deliberately omiting China while at it.

Also you confuse Official Languages with National Language because -

China has 12 Official Languages in total with one National Language in their constitution. Given how big the country is im surprised that you've managed to keep it out of the list.

That's said I don't deny and do sympathise the attempts at closing dialect-speaking media

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:03 am

Relikai wrote:I'm already sympathizing with the attempts to chase out other dialects by the PRC, and would appreciate a similar attempt at research instead of restoring to blobs of text while deliberately omiting China while at it.

China has 12 Official Languages in total with one National Language in their constitution. Given how big the country is im surprised that you've managed to keep it out of the list.

That's said I don't deny and do sympathise the attempts at closing dialect-speaking media

I'll have to check I suppose but I think they have one official national language as Mandarin, and then within specific provinces, such as Tibet and Xinjiang they have two official languages.. and we all know how that's panning out.

But I'll have to double check.

十年

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:07 am

Bombadil wrote:
Relikai wrote:I'm already sympathizing with the attempts to chase out other dialects by the PRC, and would appreciate a similar attempt at research instead of restoring to blobs of text while deliberately omiting China while at it.

I'll have to check I suppose but I think they have one official national language as Mandarin, and then within specific provinces, such as Tibet and Xinjiang they have two official languages.. and we all know how that's panning out.

But I'll have to double check.

Please do.

There is a difference too. I speak 2 official languages of Singapore, but I DO NOT speak the national language fluently even though it is used in the military and the National Language.

So yes there is a difference.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General