NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

In retrospect..

The UK was right to handover HK to China
16%
The UK should have kept HK
20%
The UK should have set up HK as an independent, democratic state
60%
Other
4%

Total votes : 1448

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Kassaran wrote:I very much appreciate the liberal principles handed down and developed by my ancestors and cultural heroes. They tend to allow me a bit more freedom than the authoritarian principles of less civilized societies that I quite disagree with.

If being willing to stand up for liberty and Justice for all condemns me to just be an 'American nationalist' in your eyes, then I pity you for the shades of grey you see in a world of vibrant colors and life.

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Eodor wrote:[...] America, which has more prisoners than anywhere else on Earth and keeps them as slaves

which irc is constitutional.

"Slavery is totally fine, the Constitution says so."

I'll say it again:

Americans...

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:45 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:I never said they don't mean things, commie.

I know, I know. I'm agreeing with you, in my own sarcastic little way. :p

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Plzen wrote:
Kassaran wrote:I very much appreciate the liberal principles handed down and developed by my ancestors and cultural heroes. They tend to allow me a bit more freedom than the authoritarian principles of less civilized societies that I quite disagree with.

If being willing to stand up for liberty and Justice for all condemns me to just be an 'American nationalist' in your eyes, then I pity you for the shades of grey you see in a world of vibrant colors and life.

Loben The 2nd wrote:which irc is constitutional.

I'll say it again:

Americans...

Loben is a low tier poster who hardly represents Americans. He is pretty much an edgelord.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Plzen wrote:

Loben The 2nd wrote:which irc is constitutional.

I'll say it again:

Americans...

as a form of punishment.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Plzen wrote:Wait, are you proposing that words ought to actually mean things?

Nooooooo. Surely not. That would be doubleplusungood blackwhite crimethink.

I never said they don't mean things, commie.

I can just imagine a younger version of Reagan sneering: commieeeee... while chewing jellybeans.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm

Plzen wrote:

I'll say it again:

Americans...

Loben is a low tier poster who hardly represents Americans. He is pretty much an edgelord.

kay.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Loben is a low tier poster who hardly represents Americans. He is pretty much an edgelord.

kay.

It sounds like a sig quote if I were you.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:50 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:
kay.

It sounds like a sig quote if I were you.

i fucking might
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
The South Falls wrote:It sounds like a sig quote if I were you.

i fucking might

The absolute madman.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:53 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:
i fucking might

The absolute madman.

He just did it lol.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:53 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Loben is a low tier poster who hardly represents Americans. He is pretty much an edgelord.

While I'm aware that this doesn't represent the opinion of all Americans, it seems to be a thing that characterises them more than other nationalities.

I've discussed politics, both on the internet and in real life, with people from many different countries, and no other nationality I've met is so obsessed, as a community, with what is written in their founding documents or said by their founding fathers as that of the United States.

Yes, the Constitution was a great document and a landmark in the progress of human values... when it was written, which was almost two and a half centuries ago.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Plzen wrote:

While I'm aware that this doesn't represent the opinion of all Americans, it seems to be a thing that characterises them more than other nationalities.

I've discussed politics, both on the internet and in real life, with people from many different countries, and no other nationality I've met is so obsessed, as a community, with what is written in their founding documents or said by their founding fathers as that of the United States.

Yes, the Constitution was a great document and a landmark in the progress of human values... when it was written, which was almost two and a half centuries ago.

Yes, it should be updated from time to time, but it is still a great document.

We like that document because it embodies most of our values. It is what we were founded on, and we're not going to forget that.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:56 pm

The South Falls wrote:The absolute madman.

He just did it lol.

i fucking did.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:He just did it lol.

i fucking did.

I'm quite amused to be honest.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:59 pm

The South Falls wrote:The absolute madman.

He just did it lol.

I am in awe of the pair of balls on this man. A true american madlad.

Pretty Much God
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pretty Much God » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:32 pm

Eodor wrote:
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Tankie is a good term to describe people like him.

I'm not Irish, I am a Marxist, I'm not a he, not a tankie either, I do like Stalin.

So, do you have an argument, or are you just going to type out how I'm an "ebil ccP shill tanky" until you fall into a food coma?

You go ahead and keep slurping that Chinese tankie mind control fluid.
Genesis 25:30
"He said to Jacob, “Let me gulp down some of that red stuff; I’m starving.”

Called an Antichrist/heretic by
currently: 1
individual.

#standwithhongkong
God is a Yang-ocrat
God would part the Red Sea for you.
But more importantly, God. Never. Forsakes. ;)
Discretion: Naturally with GoFundMe, some might not be legitimate.

you don't have to but it'd be really cool if you did
like "free passage into heaven" cool
https://www.gofundme.com/f/free-hong-ko ... ning-night
https://www.gofundme.com/f/hong-kong-re ... -democracy
https://www.gofundme.com/f/flags-and-ge ... t-hongkong
https://www.gofundme.com/f/hong-kong-re ... ocumentary

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Plzen wrote:

I'll say it again:

Americans...

as a form of punishment.

That doesn't make it any better.

You're fucking El-Amining it.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Eodor wrote:

Notice how no Muslim nations condemned China's Uyghur policies.

UN didn't even report on it

Of course Burma defended... I love my country so damn much...... /s

I think the Burmese Government would recognise that throwing stones isn't that great of an idea from their glass house.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Eodor wrote:
Uiiop wrote:https://web.archive.org/web/20180801041 ... 88533.html *does shaky hand motion*
Besides aren't they non-native perspectives and at least partly non-Asian?

Many of those Muslim nations have great economic relationships with China, including Pakistan and my own country, Indonesia. Of course, with money involved, people should've known better.
Though that doesn't mean that we regular citizens condone or support what China does in Xinjiang.

Pretty Much God
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pretty Much God » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:40 pm

Eodor wrote:
Uiiop wrote:https://web.archive.org/web/20180801041 ... 88533.html *does shaky hand motion*
Besides aren't they non-native perspectives and at least partly non-Asian?

That's funny...half of those defending China are either undemocratic and/or have a spotty humans rights record themselves.
Genesis 25:30
"He said to Jacob, “Let me gulp down some of that red stuff; I’m starving.”

Called an Antichrist/heretic by
currently: 1
individual.

#standwithhongkong
God is a Yang-ocrat
God would part the Red Sea for you.
But more importantly, God. Never. Forsakes. ;)
Discretion: Naturally with GoFundMe, some might not be legitimate.

you don't have to but it'd be really cool if you did
like "free passage into heaven" cool
https://www.gofundme.com/f/free-hong-ko ... ning-night
https://www.gofundme.com/f/hong-kong-re ... -democracy
https://www.gofundme.com/f/flags-and-ge ... t-hongkong
https://www.gofundme.com/f/hong-kong-re ... ocumentary

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Heloin wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:Of course Burma defended... I love my country so damn much...... /s

I think the Burmese Government would recognise that throwing stones isn't that great of an idea from their glass house.

predatory birds of a feather blah blah blah

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:16 pm

If you all think it’s so unrealistic (absolutely impossible, I think it’s at least possible) that a third party might be paying the protestors then let me ask you this:

How many of you would skip school/work and put both irreparably at risk just to engage in dangerous protests for over several months?

See my point?

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:22 pm

Kassaran wrote:Hong Kong? My thoughts? It's a pity, it's a shame, wish it weren't happening, but unfortunately the US has been too focused in Western Asia in recent history to have a means of viably weighing in here. Best bet for Hong Kong? To settle in and wait for the long winter to come because the monolithic power of the CCP isn't going to be stopped because of demonstrations. It's stopped when war breaks out and no one is willing to unleash that can of worms in Asia again.

Best case scenario? China agrees to an extension of Hong Kong culture and society for an additional decade or two during transition, and then just pop-bombs the city until the original denizens are a minority and can be safely carted off. Hong Kong will fall, the Borg will assimilate, resistance is futile. The US won't come to help, no nation of consequence will offer public support, there's not enough momentum behind the Hong Kong protests from outside to even try and create that momentum.

Why? Because we already gave China the keys to the kingdom a long time ago in Asia in return for cheap, unregulated, state-sponsored labor. They're the industrial heartland of about every 'modern' western country in the world and no one can change that quickly enough to help.

Just because resistance is futile (which, while very likely, is not certain), doesn't mean we shouldn't resist, though. I also think that it's too late to stop and "settle in" now, now that the lid has been blown open. Once the movement fell from the limelight of international attention, the government will likely only hasten the process of assimilating Hong Kong into China, where many protesters, or even just sympathisers, would not meet a good end if they continue to stay in Hong Kong. Naturally, that also means that, as Eodor said, we do have a vested interest in seeing the downfall of CCP, as it was ultimately the one keeping the Hong Kong government afloat.

I suppose for many of us, the realisation that the struggle is now one of life and death (figuratively and, for some, perhaps literally) is starting to set in, and is one of the main reasons why the level of force used by some of the more proactive protesters has been steadily increasing. Tellingly, though, despite that, survey results and turnouts in large-scale protests (when they're approved by the police, that is) suggest that the more peaceful protesters, even if they don't participate in the more violent actions, consider it reasonable or at least understandable.

Infected Mushroom wrote:If you all think it’s so unrealistic (absolutely impossible, I think it’s at least possible) that a third party might be paying the protestors then let me ask you this:

How many of you would skip school/work and put both irreparably at risk just to engage in dangerous protests for over several months?

See my point?

For someone supposedly living in Hong Kong, you seem painfully unaware of the fact that most protests occur outside working hours (weekday nights and weekends). The several strikes, even if their turnouts are not exactly ideal (in no small parts due to the lack of said backing due to the weak union tradition of the city), are still quite remarkable considering how few and small past strikes are. The participants are well-aware of the risk they put to their own well-being, but are willing to go forward anyway because, as something that you will probably never understand, there are something more important than personal financial well-being.

So, no, I don't see your point. I'm sure you won't see mine either, but that's fine. It's just that we should be aware that further exchanges between us are unlikely to change that.
Last edited by Tuthina on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:26 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:If you all think it’s so unrealistic (absolutely impossible, I think it’s at least possible) that a third party might be paying the protestors then let me ask you this:

See my point?

Not really, if the cause is just and important, and needs swift action, then school and work can fucking wait.

Case in point: climate protests. What's the fucking point in working or going to school if the ecosystem is gonna collapse without massive changes? The concept of the Godzilla Threshold applies here.

Likewise, with HK, what's the point in working (to fundamentally benefit CCP) or learning (to get a job that will also fundamentally benefit CCP) when you are being oppressed by CCP, and are about to be oppressed even more?
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Tuthina wrote:
Kassaran wrote:Hong Kong? My thoughts? It's a pity, it's a shame, wish it weren't happening, but unfortunately the US has been too focused in Western Asia in recent history to have a means of viably weighing in here. Best bet for Hong Kong? To settle in and wait for the long winter to come because the monolithic power of the CCP isn't going to be stopped because of demonstrations. It's stopped when war breaks out and no one is willing to unleash that can of worms in Asia again.

Best case scenario? China agrees to an extension of Hong Kong culture and society for an additional decade or two during transition, and then just pop-bombs the city until the original denizens are a minority and can be safely carted off. Hong Kong will fall, the Borg will assimilate, resistance is futile. The US won't come to help, no nation of consequence will offer public support, there's not enough momentum behind the Hong Kong protests from outside to even try and create that momentum.

Why? Because we already gave China the keys to the kingdom a long time ago in Asia in return for cheap, unregulated, state-sponsored labor. They're the industrial heartland of about every 'modern' western country in the world and no one can change that quickly enough to help.

Just because resistance is futile (which, while very likely, is not certain), doesn't mean we shouldn't resist, though. I also think that it's too late to stop and "settle in" now, now that the lid has been blown open. Once the movement fell from the limelight of international attention, the government will likely only hasten the process of assimilating Hong Kong into China, where many protesters, or even just sympathisers, would not meet a good end if they continue to stay in Hong Kong. Naturally, that also means that, as Eodor said, we do have a vested interest in seeing the downfall of CCP, as it was ultimately the one keeping the Hong Kong government afloat.

I suppose for many of us, the realisation that the struggle is now one of life and death (figuratively and, for some, perhaps literally) is starting to set in, and is one of the main reasons why the level of force used by some of the more proactive protesters has been steadily increasing. Tellingly, though, despite that, survey results and turnouts in large-scale protests (when they're approved by the police, that is) suggest that the more peaceful protesters, even if they don't participate in the more violent actions, consider it reasonable or at least understandable.

See my point?

For someone supposedly living in Hong Kong, you seem painfully unaware of the fact that most protests occur outside working hours (weekday nights and weekends). The several strikes, even if their turnouts are not exactly ideal (in no small parts due to the lack of said backing due to the weak union tradition of the city), are still quite remarkable considering how few and small past strikes are.

But your grades and off the clock work prep will also fall

And the bigger issue is your future prospects if arrested (and everyone knows the police are only bidding their time for a mass arrest, it’s only a question of When)

Point is, I find it hard to believe people would undertake such consistent and egregious risks without some kind of compensation or exit strategy by a powerful third party

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General