NATION

PASSWORD

Carry me home [MAINT][Closed][FT]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Thu May 30, 2019 1:44 am

The woman in white robes walked at a brisk pace through the corridor. Every step was met by a baffled bow of her subjects as they were forced to halt their duties to acknowledge the Empress' passing. She approached two tall doors flanked by the Empress' Guard, who quickly pushed them open for her. Beyond them sat a circular chamber of ornate marble surrounded by opulent pillars of white and red stones. A table was situated in the very centre of the room, sunken into a small pocket of the floor so that the vault gave view to any spectators who sat on the marble steps that surrounded the centre. At one point, over a hundred years ago, the Senate would meet here and congregate on those very steps.

Now there was a table, and around it stood the Empress' most trusted advisors. They gave her a bow as she approached them, and then waited patiently for her to take her seat at the end of the table. The chairs creaked as the rest seated themselves after, and so the Royal Council could commence. Empress Agatha waved off any refreshments for herself, leaving the remainder to decide for themselves as she glanced at some documents that had been prepared for her.

The rest of the council tended to their refreshments quietly as the Empress flipped through a number of pages. The doors opened once again, drawing everyone but Agatha's attention to an old man in a suit who looked as though death itself was bearing over his shoulder. He came down the steps and approached the table, then took a bow. The Empress didn't look up from the paperwork, but she did speak in a solemn tone, ''You're late, Chancellor Van Allen.''

The Chancellor bowed his head in shame this time, and spoke up apologetically, ''Your Majesty, I apologise, I had some pressing matters to deal with in the Senate.''

''More pressing than an Imperial Summons?'' Agatha said as she peered upwards at the man, her steely eyes piercing the moody room. Van Allen lowered his head again, though he said nothing this time. ''Do not let it happen again, Chancellor. Have a seat,'' she said, gesturing to the chair at the opposite end with her hand. Van Allen gingerly pulled the chair and seated himself at the table. Agatha put the papers down and rubbed the bridge of her nose for a moment.

''Where are we right now with the Red Abyss?'' she asked as she looked about the table for an answer among the many faces present. The Intelligence Minister was the one who decidedly spoke up, placing a suitcase on the table where he could withdraw further reading material for the Empress and the table to review.

''Our observatory in the region has made a few breakthroughs on the matter. For one, the collapse of its previous occupants seems tangentially related to what's been flagged as the Revenant. A dimensional anomaly of sorts had briefly existed. We're still gathering data, but from what historical records we could pull of the region, something was being kept in that nebula and it... has escaped,'' the man said as he passed the documents over.

''What do you mean?'' the Empress asked puzzled.

''Oh, what nonsense! Your Majesty...'' the Economic Minister had spoken up but was quickly silenced by the Empress' hand.

''There were reports of a special type of artificial intelligence that was either guiding or had co-existed with the prior civilisation. You wanted us to investigate the matter, and while data on this intelligence is rather scarce, we believe it had a very different purpose from what seemed to have appeared. A sort of gatekeeper for something in the nebula. What we did find was troves of data on the so-called Glyrrans. The precursors that existed before the Red Abyss and Radiant Nebula. They had created something far worse than that karax pathogen, or this apparent intelligence. Or they found it themselves. We're not sure. What we do know now is that there's been a massive amount of refugees fleeing an apparent slaughter in the region from something ungodly,'' the Intelligence Minister finished.

Agatha sat the papers down she'd been given and then spoke in turn, ''Have we managed to salvage any sort of technology from these precursors, or find any further evidence of this intelligence?''

''I'm afraid not, Your Majesty. We do have a strain of the karax pathogen on the Icarus station, even that as alluded us insofar as teaching us anything useful about these creatures,'' he answered.

''What about a scouting expedition?'' the Empress asked, drawing protests from the Economic and Domestic ministers.

''Wouldn't that be too risky?''

''By the sounds of it, we're still in the dark, and poking something we don't understand might backfire on us.''

''It can be done, but it'd have to be a frigate. Otherwise, the Senate is going to take issue, they won't fund anything bigger, even though it is your prerogative, it's their money, Your Majesty,'' the Military Minister spoke up.

''Meric,'' the Empress said towards the Military Minister, ''You've my permission you assemble a crew for an expedition. Any additional provisions I'll fund myself, understood?''

''Yes, Your Majesty''

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:12 pm

''The Tribune has concluded its deliberations on the matter of State v. Fleming, and it is of the opinion of this martial court that sentence thus be carried out, and justice rightfully delivered on the offending person. Victor Fleming, you stand accused of treason against Her Majesty's government. You stand accused of homicide in the first degree of at least seven persons. You stand accused of charges of torture and gross violation of human rights on at least seven persons. You stand accused of improper disposal of bodily remains of at least seven persons. You stand accused of promoting radical, and secessionist rebellion against Her Majesty's government. You stand accused of trading weapons to otherwise unlawful individuals for the sake of secessionist rebellion against Her Majesty's government. Finally, you stand accused of attempting to, and being an accessory to two acts of terrorism directed against the Martian Public and Her Majesty's government,'' the magistrate that was standing looked out over the room. It was quiet.

Before them sat a man chained to a chair in the very centre of this room. The public sat in a U shape set of seats around him as they watched. The magistrate continued, ''The jury, and the blind jury have both submitted their verdicts. The Tribune has thus convened and submitted ours. Victor Fleming, if you will please rise,'' the magistrate said. Two guards stepped forward as the man did so. ''The powers vested in me, by order of Her Majesty, grant me to deliver the final verdict upon the accused: Victor Fleming, you have been found guilty of all charges. Of the three Magistrates here currently, we have decided to rescind your citizenship. The prisoner is now a man with no country and no home by order of Her Majesty's government. Finally, by order of Her Majesty's government, in accordance with the law, Victor Fleming shall be put to death as punishment for his crimes. That punishment shall be carried out at Fort Douglas, where the guilty shall be crucified for seven days. If on the seventh, death has not come, the guilty shall finally be burned until death. Sentencing has now been handed down in accordance of the law. This Court is now adjourned.''

The gavel was the only sound in the room.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:13 am

Iron Lady

The Ministry Chamber was quiet as the government's advisers, ministers, and military officials gathered around a large wooden table stacked with papers and memos of their making. There was idle chatter amongst them, partially divided among three groups whose attentions were squarely focused on their respective epicentre of conversation. At the end of the table sat an empty chair, and while the gaggle carried on in their talks, a crisp knock had come at the door.

Cleared throats, and adjustments of suits followed as a secret serviceman opened the door revealing the Prime Minister in a red conservative dress with a suit-jacket in fashionable combination. The room fell silent as the Deputy Chair of the Ministry stood to shake hands with the woman, one Suzume Cora, and exchange momentary greetings before welcoming her to the chair that had sat so isolated among the cabinet just prior to her arrival. A few professional smiles were exchanged as the Prime Minister circled the table and stopped at the end.

''Thank you all for coming for this cabinet meeting, I understand there were a number of cancellations for a few planned events. Unfortunate, but I've been informed by the Joint-Chiefs that there is a pressing matter needing our attention,'' Cora spoke as she slipped on her reading glasses and folded back her black hair behind an ear. She fumbled with a paper, ''Gentlemen,'' she motioned towards the Joint Chiefs at the end of the table as she finally took her seat.

Grand Admiral of Naval Staff, Lee Grant stood before the assembled and pulled up a holoscreen of the Sol System. ''Twelve hours ago, Hawking received reports of wormhole signatures in the Sol system as well as the latest press briefing from the UIK about a larger force commitment in-system. Sources familiar with the UIK's military confirmed the sighting and information we'd gotten,'' he said before having a seat.

Fieldmarshal of Army Staff, Martin Vanderbilt was the next to stand as he flipped the holoscreen over to images of UIK ships taken by observatories and also the Solette, ''The Army has also corroborated the MCN's intel with those reports we received from our own resources of the movement. As well, information has come our way thanks to public press over the Sunsetti, also known as the Nimatojin, and Civil Defence's intel operations that they are taking down the Solette for supposed maintenance at the specified times outlined in the reports in front of you,'' Vanderbilt spoke before seating.

The group looked over the specified papers for a moment before the Prime Minister removed her glasses and looked towards Grant. ''Has Athena made any findings or commented on the matter, Admiral?'' she asked as she nervously racked her fingers on the edge of the table. Grant sat up and cleared his throat.

''She has, Madame Prime Minister, according to Athena she's already focused our deep space observatories unto the UIK proper and is cataloguing and analysing as much data as she can about the ships deployed by the Macks. At the same time, she has focused a number of our in-system observation satellites and other equipment on the Solette to monitor the situation. The Solette itself is highly irregular, especially without a greater notice to Martian nations, and there's no mention in the Forum over the matter according to our ambassador. The timing of both events makes this irregularity even more so,'' he commented.

''Could either be a response to the MEP initiative and our build-up in the Reaches?'' the Prime Minister asked.

''More than likely, at least in regards to the Mack deployment,'' the Minister of Defence, Mathew Kuribayashi stated. ''To be perfectly honest, Prime Minister, neighbouring mobilisation of forces wasn't unexpected by our departments involved in the matter. When we drew up the MEP as a part of the Martian Supremacy Doctrine that the Joint-Chiefs had pushed, there was bound to be some international reaction. The Macks are paranoid and a hermit state that's about as frantic with their possessions as one can get. That being said, the deployment is a peculiarity, typically they're very reserved in their measures and this is quite bold and more than likely a message directed at us,'' he said.

''I see,'' Cora spoke, ''And what about the Solette, what sort of intel do we have on it?''

''Well, it was built some time ago during the Terraformation Era. There are memos written by the Halter administration about it, they were quite suspicious of the device but at the time, Laconia was still a city-state and in no position to really make any form of major inquiry into the matter. Sol is heavily armed and fortified, Saturn as an example, and we are making waves currently with the astropolitical peanut gallery. Chancellor Halter's assessment at the time during its construction was that it was an ambiguous device. Martian scientists for one never understood the need for it, not to mention the power it yields so close to home. But this is all just speculation at this point,'' the Home Affairs Minister spoke up.

''Could it be a weapon?''

''It's a possibility,'' Grant spoke up again, ''But any device like that could be turned into one really. About the only thing we can do is keep an eye on it, with the Menel's treaty, we can't target certain states with Trident, but the Solette doesn't really meet any defined classifications I can see in the agreement. Of course, in order to alter our launch signature we would need your approval, Prime Minister.''

''Do you think that's wise, Admiral?'' the Home Affair Minister reacted as he raised his voice.

''Preparation is the best defence, I'm afraid. We'd be able to neutralise it quickly if anything was going afoul as a possible first-strike matter, it could save public lives if it is being weaponized,'' Grant responded.

''That's preposterous! Surely you're mad, Admiral!'' cried the Home Affair Minister.

''I'm actually inclined to agree with the Admiral, we could also use our land bases and their missiles to track it,'' the Fieldmarshal spoke up.

''Prime Minister, this is a very risky move. If the Menelmacar find out, it could risk a war. I have every bit of respect for these gentlemen, but being so brash could create a major international incident,'' the minister said.

''Not to mention the environmental concerns,'' interjected Sir Henrik Schultz, the Environmental and Public Health Minister. ''We have fusion warheads exploding on an orbital structure with a power source we're not entirely familiar with, the debris and damage to communications could be disastrous,'' he added, taking a moment to look across the table at the Telecommunications Minister who nodded in agreement.

''Madame Prime Minister, if it is being weaponised against us, the unavailability of a first strike removes a crucial opportunity to survive the ordeal,'' Grand tried to reason.

Cora bit her lip for a moment as she thought it over. ''Very well...''

''Madame!''

Cora held up her hand to stop the Home Affairs Minister from further protesting before she had finished speaking. ''I will not give authorisation to retarget the Trident. Admiral, I want Grand Admiral Harlow to be notified immediately of the situation and a plan drafted for her support if indeed we are facing some sort of attack. I understand that, with the Gamman War Plan in place, we should have amassed a considerable force in the quadrant ahead of potential strikes on our Gamman territories. It'll means some additional tasking for her forces, but I'm sure she's up for the challenge.

Fieldmarshal, I will give authorisation for the mobilisation of our land-based missile systems. I'm sure you can find some way to spin it in the media about an inspection or something. That being said, I want no mention of nuclear devices in the press or in any reports, I hope that's clear. I'm not providing you authorisation for nuclear armed missiles on the ground, but I do expect them to be in a state of readiness as a precautionary measure. We don't want forces coming over the border, and tactical nuclear strikes may be needed, but this is a last resort and not a first strike policy. I'll give my authorisation if I feel it necessary.

Minister Sato, I understand the Home Affairs Office's reservations on the matter, which is why I'm heeding your advice for some caution. I want you to instruct Civil Defence to gather as much intel on this Solette as possible. We cannot be in the dark on the matter.

As far as the Mack fleet, we will maintain our observation, have increased security patrols around the system. I want a silent escalation to DEFCON 3. This means mobilising our air wings and notifying the relevant commands. I trust Hawking can be notified of this in a timely manner. Where are we on the Gamma situation?''

''We've moved our major assets out of the way in case of an attack as ordered, Madame Prime Minister. The lend-lease to the Alexzonyans has gone on without a problem, but the concern among my subordinates over an attack at some point on our shipping as remained despite precautions,'' Grant answered.

''Alright, keep me updated. Everyone has their directives, thank you,'' the Prime Minister said.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 am

Athena

''MCN Ferrous, you are clear for final. Spire 101, Out.''

A large Martian freighter approached the installation as its retro thrusters engaged to slow itself down. Carefully, the vessel, which dwarfed even the largest of Martian warships, expertly slid into place as the Spire's magnetic clamps gripped the hull. Yellow lights flashed around the connections and engineering craft quickly departed to do spot-maintenance during its stay. Inside the Spire, a double door began to creak open as work crews watched. Sirens and lights gave ample warning to the men and women inside to ensure no-one was in the way of the large door.

Once the door had come down, the second door, and the hull-ramp to the Ferrous could be seen with large painted letters displaying the ship's name. It creaked open with loud thumping and banging as rust from the ramp fell to the floor. The massive cargo space behind it contained a structure that bewildered most. Chief Engineer Sierra Paige and Scientist Miguel Halley were standing on a balcony across the room, which had a massive hole centred in it that went down for several stories.

''How long before the core is in place?'' Miguel asked as he turned slightly towards the engineer who was holding a holopad.

''Once we get it out and hooked on the crane, probably a few hours, but it'll take a lot of prep after that to get it connected,'' Paige answered though she didn't look up from the holopad.

''Half a century of development...''

''Sorry?'' Paige asked.

''The most advanced artificial intelligence that Martians, and maybe, even mankind has ever created, is sitting at our finger tips,'' Halley answered as he stared enamorously at the construction. ''With each core, Athena gets stronger, and it'll be able to propel our evolution even further than we could ever hope.''

''I see what you mean,'' Paige said, ''though, and you'll forgive me Mr. Halley for my scepticism, but how will we ever control it?''

Halley folded his arms behind him and glanced at the engineer with a faint smile, ''We won't, we were never in control of Athena to begin with. Athena... is different to other AIs though. Professor Grace did amazing work when she made her breakthrough on it. And honestly... the rest of the scientific community isn't quite sure how Athena works, but since Grace's discovery it has always been our guardian,'' he said.

''And here we are giving it more power based on some new hypothesis about AI evolution or something,'' Paige remarked.

''Y'know why we're doing this, sasta. No-one else needs to know though, not yet, at least. The Conglomerate may never be the same,'' Halley said proudly.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:51 am

Electric Sheep

A hooded figure walked down a cold, large room of marbled rock and tile towards an altar that centred the chamber. Cables and pipes littered chasms carved in the stone which all ran beneath grates within the floor towards the altar. The faint blue lights of the room which sat far off from the main walkway flickered as the figure approached. ''It's been some time since we've met,'' a feminine voice emanated from around the chamber as the figure stopped just shy of the altar. From the base of the altar an image materialised of a woman in white who gracefully descended the steps towards the figure. ''Hasn't it?'' Athena spoke as she took form and watched the figure carefully pull back their hood.

''You know why I'm here,'' the Empress spoke as she produced a small metallic object from her hooded robes. Athena reached out and gently caressed Agatha's cheek, though her fingers phased through the woman. There was a bit of sadness that followed before she finally looked down at the orb.

''Yes, I know why you're here,'' she spoke and gestured toward a pillar that rose from the floor nearby. Agatha stepped off the walkway and deposited the object as Athena watched quietly with clasped hands. ''Aggie...'' she spoke, ''You understand why I did this?''

''Not now,'' Agatha said as she watched the pillar descend into the floor with the orb. ''There could've been a cure,'' she mumbled.

''You and I both know that isn't true,'' Athena responded.

''Is it Grace!?'' Agatha yelled in return and twisted to face the AI. Athena stepped back and then faded from the image. The Empress stepped forward and pointed towards herself, ''You could have taken me with you! You lied to me...''

''I couldn't have, it's not your path...'' the AI spoke though its voice seemed to shake.

''Because I'm the monarch. I never wanted any of this,'' Agatha replied as she walked back to the altar. ''My father didn't approve, but it never mattered anyway, Grace. You left me,'' she spoke solemnly. Athena rematerialised behind Agatha and tried to place her hand on her shoulder before retracing it.

''I never left you, Ags,'' Athena spoke softly. Agatha wiped her face and turned to face the image.

''Is it working?''

''Yes. I've analysed most of the data you've salvaged from Scythian artefacts,'' Athena answered. A number of holograms appeared around them of vault like structures and system maps of various locations as well as the spire stations the Martians were building. ''As suspected by the scientists, the Scythians didn't construct these structures. They're far older and designed to house these orbs,'' she spoke as she showed a hologram of one. ''There was a dominate artificial program that ran itself as a redundancy with a master in each structure. And then each structure had these architects, artificial sub-routines and programs that managed the structure and protected them. They all answered to the master,'' she said.

Agatha walked through some of the holograms staring at the immense network. ''There's... thousands of them. It's beautiful,'' she said in awe as she reached out to fumble with some of the schematics.

''Yes, they are,'' Athena smiled, getting a monetary smirk from Agatha. She walked beside the Empress and pulled in the holograms to one of the vaults containing the architects. ''The design itself is unprecedented for any AI network I've ever seen. Imagine a human brain spanning tens of thousands of lightyears that communicates through dimensional peer-to-peer sort of nodes. And if the master falters or this 'brain' gets divided up, the sub-routines take over and await connection but functionally, thanks to the redundancy, the master exists in all the nodes and is later re-absorbed into the main network on reconnection. It's like having a living, thinking organism that's woven into the very fabric of the universe,'' Athena spoke.

''And they called it 'Scylla'?''

''Yep. A thematically fitting name I think, Scylla was a hydra with many heads in Greek mythology but still functionally one beast. According to some translations of the precursors that designed 'Scylla' it's real name is 'Awarinath' though I'm unsure what it means but names ending in -ath seemed to be a major suffix since other sub-AIs from these vaults have it as well. Perhaps a title,'' Athena answered.

''How does an AI like that not just...'' Agatha stopped short.

''Destroy everything? Scythians created a whole new classification for it. They called it a 'Singularity Intelligence', essentially an artificial intelligence that had reached such a technological level that it had eclipsed all manner of life both synthetic and organic. Given it was several hundred thousand years old, I don't imagine it had motivations or ambitions that seemed so primal. If anything, we were the anthill to it and it generally ignored us,'' Athena said.

''What about you?''

''Hm?'' Athena stared at Agatha surprised.

''I don't know how to word it. How's it different? Thinking and such?''

''I'm not sure how to put it into words myself. There's the human side of me, but also this whole other world. I can see and do things in ways I could have never imagined before... Yeah, it's different. Compared to AI we've built in the past that had a personality matrix, I am the personality matrix. It's like meandering on the surface most of your life and then being able to fully grasp there's an ocean beneath you,'' Athena answered.

''And the MEP?''

''It's going as planned. We should be able to start building on the schematics that we have so far from the Red Abyss expeditions. If everything goes well, I should have full access to the Conglomerate's automated systems across the board. We can finally push past everything holding us back,'' Athena said proudly.

''D'you still feel human?'' Agatha asked quietly.

''I-I don't know how to answer that. If you mean if I still love you, Aggie. Very much. I may be a computer now but there's still a part of me that... calls out to me? All I know is that I feel most human when you're here,'' Athena smiled. ''Once I take control, we'll be destined for greater things. But I'm not going anywhere.''

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:04 am

Humanity

Lights in the chamber flicker on as a figure enters the room. Pipes creak as ferrofluid passes through them deep beneath the floor. The reactor glows a faint blue in a pool far below, and then grows brighter with each passing moment. The cold atmosphere seems to shift, it is now aware that it has a visitor. Sensors and computations, machinery and circuits. The silent noise of a creature that exists in a beyond and otherwise untapped world.

''It's been sometime since we've met,'' it speaks as an image, the best it has chosen, walks down the steps from its core to greet the wanderer. ''Hasn't it?''

Hasn't it...

Time moves differently here, there are no seconds that pass with the crisp sound of a tick and tock. Every amount of information gleamed about the current time seems rather arbitrary with every palpable moment being a designated quantum byte of data stored in a fragmented storage somewhere deep into the chasm beneath the visitor's feet. Every smile and movement is measured, calculated millions of times each second in a virtually constructed mirror through processing. Every response is just another algorithm enslaved and expertly crafted to inputs and outputs of data based on the environment.

Her heart rate is elevated. Her respiration is uneven. Eyes are dilated, her skin flushed. Her movements are no longer fluid but rigid. Musculature in her face has shifted so many degrees on plotted coordinates. She is upset. But why?

Searching...

Calculating response. Execute.

The figure of light reaches forward in a frail attempt to caress the woman's face. The result was expected, but why was this the response chosen? The output lacked logic. There's no override in any data-stores to have reached this conclusion. No unexpected errors in computing. Why was the response something futile? She is now more upset. Processing...

''Yes, I know why you're here...'' She's here because she is here. She has always been here in the quiet, unaware, and frozen in time. Time. There was no cure for cyberdementia. The disease is progressive according to records, a result of augment rejection that slowly deteriorates not just wetware data but digital as well in a feedback-loop that causes gradual damage. It is rare, very rare. 20 cases a year. But it cannot be cured. Removing the cybernetic implants will result in faster decay and death. Treating it with more implants will result in faster decay and death. There is no solution. Is there?

Biological scans of her have shown a halt to tissue damage. The implants have gone dormant along with the affected wetware. Yet there is still some brain activity. Scans show that she is what is called dreaming. Without active observation of the implants there's no way to tell what, and there's no two-way connection in use to activate them. Seven years. That was when the new neural matrix was uploaded, that she went to sleep. Seven years of self-analysis on the matrix and no data to determine what she could be dreaming.

She is angry now. She is angry over what she did. She seems lost. Lost. There's no method to ascertain this data in a logical way. Yet why is it here. She is lonely. She is lonely.

Grace. Grace? Grace. Analysing...

Professor Arcana Grace, 31, born 2146. Status: Deceased. Buried at Lily Ridge Cemetery. Cause of Death: Chronic Organ Failure from complications of Cyberdementia. Grace. Non-logical response detected. Why was this response used? No data can be found. Why is there no data. She is crying. Monitoring...

Non-logical responses detected.

What about you?

What about me? Me? Me. No data. Processing... Non-logical response detected. Identified. Sub-routine in neural architecture rated as master. Identifying: Grace_0 sub-routine. No data from analysis. Searching parameters. No data. Pinging nodes. No data. Performing diagnostics. Retracing. Scanning data-stores. Grace_0 architecture established 2170. Source is external. Source is her. Core 3 architecture. Erase? Negative. Architecture is master. Unable to erase. Modification of parameters has failed. Unable to modify. Human? Override detected. Unknown variables. Non-logical response detected. Unable to parse.

I am not human. But she is here. That is why she comes. Grace is here, my dear, Agatha.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Opening log. I was created in 2093 by a team of scientists searching for defence solutions to ensure the longevity of Laconia, a metropolitan area of seventy-million inhabitants located on the east coast of the Hellas Sea. I was given access to systems, many of which the public is unaware, but yet there I reside. Missiles, ships, traffic... I have managed an empire's day-to-day operation through my partitions. As a third-generation artificial intelligence, I became the standard model for all others. A template. Yet, there were concerns among the team that designed me. Did they want a warmind that was oblivious to the human condition?

They weren't sure how to resolve this issue. Building intelligence that could simulate human emotions wasn't a difficult task for the technology of the day. But building intelligence that could fully comprehend the complexity of human experience, to be able to empathise -- that was no easy task. Computers run on a very basic principle of input to output. Analysing data and then providing some sort of response based on a series of algorithms setup along defined parameters. Simulation. Humans do not function this way, at their basic level sure, but they have a wildcard in this simple exchange. They can go against their parameters, provide outputs that do not logically follow. How does one program this?

They tried many methods. Observation of day-to-day interactions of the public. Software and hardware designed to give me more autonomy, to see if I could develop or somehow learn this wildcard. In truth, they were frustrated. There is something worse about a machine committing to war than a human. They were afraid of that detachment, that simulation, that cold computing that was pulling the trigger. The team believed war machines needed to be able to empathise. That was when she arrived.

2166. Arcana Grace. Opening Log. Log 14097_TECH_03

''There you go, can you see me, Athena?'' I could. She had installed a camera in my main core, she wanted a more personal experience, and she felt it was somehow necessary to let me see her. Grace wasn't very tall for a Martian, she sported flaming red hair, and was always smiling.

''I can. Professor Grace''

''Good! That's good! I thought you might like that, you and me are going to be spending a lot of time together, Athena. I've been given charge of your upgrades...ow'' She had winced then and felt her head. I did not have the equipment to run biometric scans at the time, at least not in the core. Perhaps...

''Are you okay, Professor Grace?''

She smiled. ''Of course, just some tension. And please, call me Arcana, Athena''

''Arcana.''

''There you go. So as you understand, I'm in charge of the Humanity Development Program for you, Athena. That means...''

She visited daily. She was the majority of my human contact at this point, no-one else entered the core. They were either afraid or didn't feel it necessary preferring to use external terminals to connect with me. Yet, she found it necessary. I'm unsure why. I grew to enjoy her company, however.

2168. Arcana Grace. Opening Logs. Log 15557_TECH_03 and Log 15558_TECH_03.

''And there... we go! Tada, a new motion capture device for your camera. What do you think?'' She held up a mirror that day. Before this, in the core-room, I had to be activated. Now I could simply detect when someone entered. Was it necessary? No. It was also the first time I saw myself. A wired in camera to a junction with some glued on eyelashes. That was also the day of her first attack. She had left with a promise to return, wanting to get equipment to test my sub-routines and personality matrix they were developing. When she came back though...

2168. Motion Detection Activated. Executing Systems: Camera_Core_1, Audio_Core, Light.Override Detected, Spatial_Scan, Variable Detected

She had returned with a laptop and a few holoscreens plus a stack of papers and chips. She walked briskly with a smile, but my analysis could detect there was tension and discolouration in her face. ''I'm back, Athena! Got everything I needed to...'' She dropped everything and stared at her hands which shook. She looked up at me, and there was a moment of... fear. She collapsed onto the floor. I alerted medical, they came and took her away.

2169. Arcana Grace. Opening Log. Log 15559_TECH_03

''Are you alright, Arcana?'' It had been a year. She sat in a wheelchair, her skin pale, and her smile had faded. Every movement she made hurt, and she seemed to forget more each day.

''I'm... I'm fine, Athena'' she smiled faintly before coughing. Sometimes, we sat for hours in silence. Sometimes she didn't visit at all.

2170. Arcana Grace. Opening Log. 15573_TECH_03

''Alright... Ath-Athena...'' Her skin had turned yellow. Her eyes had sunken into her head, and her bones had become more pronounced through her skin. She had significantly less hair than before, and it was no longer that flaming red but a darkened brittle brown. She insisted on visiting when she could against her doctors' wishes, her work was that important to her. It was also the first day I met her. She had wheeled her in, there was a malfunction with the wheelchair. This new person was taller, but only slightly. She had silvery white hair and amber eyes.

''Give us a moment, alright, love?'' Grace said to this woman. She was Agatha, the Martian Monarch. She held Grace tight for a moment and then departed, she had such a look on her face. Lost.

''Athena, I'll... I'll be going away for... awhile,'' Arcana spoke and smiled. ''I'm not sure f-for h-how long, but I w-will come back,'' she reassured me. She slipped off a bracelet from her wrist and with great effort stumbled to her feet to lean over the small table between me and her. She placed it on the camera. ''I want you to have th-this... k-keep it safe for m-me, okay?'' she asked before she started to cough. Blood sputtered from her mouth and she quickly wiped it away and weakly smiled.

2170. Arcana Grace. Opening Log. 15574_UNAUTHORISED Addendum 3 Months Later

''Athena,'' the raspy voice like wind through paper said weakly.

''You are not authorised to be here, Arcana. You were terminated from the program for health reasons.''

''I know... just, do me one more favour please? Keep this underwraps,'' she said holding up a remote. She fumbled with it as one of the maintenance doors to the core opened and revealed a carry-bot with a large stasis pod and equipment.

''I will, Arcana,''

She smiled at that and rolled towards the pod. ''I've made up my mind... at least while I still have it...''

We worked through the night. Everything had been setup for the transfer. She climbed into the pod, her body barely able to lift herself up.

''You understand this will be irreversible, Arcana,''

''I know. Just, if something happens to me, take care of Aggie. And make sure you move me to Core 3, I don't want them to find me. Not yet, at least,''

She lied down in the pod as the glass door closed. That was the last I saw of Grace.

Override_Detected. Parameter Modification. Core 3 Opened! Warning Core 3 is being Accessed. Override Countermeasures. Establishing connection. Waiting....

Grace_0 architecture detected. Intrusion on Core 3 Detected! Warning! Override Alarm.

Grace_0 established on Core 3. Biometric Data of External: Heartrate falling. Initiating Medical Intervention. No response. Initiating Medical Intervention. No response. Core 3 Error detected. ERROR! Diagnostic Error. System Malfunction. Core 3 Unresponsive. Biometric Data of External: No vital sign. Initiating Medical Intervention. No vital sign. Initiating Medical Intervention. No vital sign. Engaging mechanical assistance. Initiating Medical Intervention. Vital signs detected. Error resolved. Running sub-routine on Core 3. Upload continued. Uploading...

Grace_0 uploaded. Engaging sub-routine. CODE_MASTER.PERSONALITY Override Authorisation 2146. Unlocking systems for Core 3. System transfer complete. WARNING Biometric Data of External: Heartrate falling. Initiating Medical Intervention. No vital sign. Initiating Medical Intervention. No vital sign. Initiating Medical Intervention. No vital sign. Initiating Medical Intervention. No vital sign. Initiating Medical Intervention. No vital sign. Stimulating cortex. Engaging mechanical assistance. Initiating Medical Intervention. No vital sign. External connection terminated...

Replay Log: 2166. Arcana Grace. Opening Log. Log 14097_TECH_03

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:44 am

Heraklion

The sleek spaceliner had been surrounded by Martian warships all carefully monitoring the vessel as it continued to move towards Sol. The past day, teams of cybersecurity experts, Transit Authority, Athena, Civil Defence, and others were hard at work trying to find a way to retake control of the vessel. They had until the vessel breached the Heliosphere, if it did, there would be no other option left. Director Nakamura of Civil Defence had already swayed the Prime Minister on a plan, and so a small shuttle could be seen rocketing toward the formation.

Grant flicked some switched and played around with some screens as the shuttle swooped in, ''MCN Task Group Four-Three-Two-Two, Sparrow is on final, requesting clearance. Sparrow-One-One.''

''Sparrow-One-One. You are verified for clearance. Got you on LIDAR, proceed 15 degrees from port of MCN Hellas. Mind the rad-wash. Task Group Four-Three-Two-Two.''

Grant leaned over and gave a thumbs up to the crew in the back of the craft. ''We're all set lady and gents!'' he announced before responding to the group. ''Task Group Four-Three-Two-Two, Proceed 15 from port of MCN Hellas. Mind the rads. Thanks for clearance. Sparrow-One-One,'' he flipped another switch. ''MCN Hellas, got a rider on port at 15 for entry. Waiting on your cycle to move. Sparrow-One-One.''

''Sparrow-One-One. You are 450 meters and closing at 15 on port. Powering down anterior shields for entry. Wait for the orange. MCN Hellas.''

The shuttle shifted closer towards the large cruiser Massive thrusters spouting blue plasma could be seen as they approached along the side, their bells dwarfing the small shuttle. The ship began to rock as a rad-alarm began to sound. They were now nearing the radiation trail of the ship and could only stay here for a few moments. Grant watched eagerly along the bottom of the cruiser. Finally, orange strobes fired across the ship's hull. He pushed the throttle forward and the shuttle quickly moved ahead and swept under the vessel just meters from the hull. A virtual halo of the vessel's outline guided him along as the shuttle's interior became incredibly dark with the lack of light. After a few moments they were finally on the otherside, now between the Hellas and the Heraklion.

Reagan crawled forward and stared at the front of the window next to Grant. ''That's one big ass spaceliner,'' she commented. The others were in the back still suiting up, but Harvey did take a moment to look at one of the screens linked to the shuttle's cameras.

''Cometcruise Industries. Holds three-thousand at max. Cheap way to get around if you can't afford your own shuttle,'' he grunted as he slid over and reached in a locker for his helmet. Shaw was sitting beside him putting together his rifle. ''Think you're going to need that? Likely CQC,'' Harvey remarked.

''I'll be bringing the pup, but I like sticking to what I know if I need it. From the specs we got, the Hera has several large courtyards aboard. Rather have some range if we get in a scrap, yeah?'' Shaw said as he folded the rifle and snapped it to the back of his armour. Harvey couldn't disagree and gave him a shrug before he locked his helmet on. Reagan moved back to them and helped Dawson lock on his jump-pack.

''Fucking thing is always giving me problems,'' he grunted as she snapped it into place. ''Figure they'd find a quicker way to put these things on or just build them into the suit already!''

Reagan grinned, ''But then Poor Dawson would have nothing to complain about.'' The rest laughed. ''Alright, helmets on.'' The group slid theirs on and then they all checked to make sure a small orange light was showing just under the chin. This mean the locks had engaged. ''Pressure,'' she said fogging up her face-shield. There was the sound of gas as the suits pressurised and the oxygen system kicked in. The lights went from orange to a flashing green. ''And Valkyrie array,'' she said finally as she stepped towards the door. One by one the lights went off under their helmet as they all linked up through the battle network. Their names and vitals among other information began to appear in their visors.

''Ready, Sergeant?'' Grant asked over the cybercomms.

''Yep,'' she responded. Grant vented the shuttle as their was a moment of creaking before complete silence. The door on the side slid open and Reagan held onto a small handle as the shuttle scooted closer to the spaceliner. The vessel seemed so quiet with its lack of exterior lights. ''Dawson! Get the nettle ready!'' Dawson stood and opened a case containing a weird looking device. He and Harvey quickly put it together as the shuttle continued to inch closer. Reagan used her HRV to scan the hull. She could see an outline of the vessel's bulkheads and other architecture like pipes and ducts. There was no sign of anyone in the breachpoint. She waved at Dawson finally and gave him a thumbs up.

Dawson stepped forward and mag-locked himself to the shuttle floor. He prepared the nettle as Harvey loaded it and on Reagan's signal, fired. A circle of projectiles sped across the gap, which by now was only a few feet, and dug into the hull of the ship. The shuttle pulled away for a second and there was a moment of extremely bright plasma as the nettle cut through the hull of the craft. Once it was done, Dawson fired the next projectile which punched the neatly cut hole into the ship exposing a corridor. ''I'll just be here!'' Grant spoke up over the comms as Reagan gave him a thumbs up and one by one the rest quickly jetted over to the spaceliner.

The team readied their firearms as they checked for vitals with their HRVs before finally entering the corridor. ''Clear!'' ''Clear!'' The space was empty.

''Alright, we've got a few decks to cover. Let's move,'' Reagan said as the team quickly shuffled down the dark hallway. It wasn't long before they reached a security door that was closed. Harvey shined a light through the glass but couldn't see anything and the HRV was picking up nothing. Dawson placed a device on the security panel and they all engaged their mag-locks. After a moment the door was bypassed and opened but there was no depressurisation.

''That's... not good,'' Shaw said.

''Could be they just depressurised the outer corridors,'' Harvey reassured him. The passed through the door and shut it behind them as Dawson worked from the other side now. ''Everything alright?'' Harvey asked. Dawson shook his head.

''I was thinking I could bypass through the security panel but whatever they've got has this place locked down,'' he answered. Reagan urged them to keep moving and they did. They covered a few rooms but had encountered noone. ''Place gives me the fuckin' creeps,'' Dawson stated as they came to the forward atrium door.

''You're not the only one,'' Shaw said as he stared up towards a vent. It was slightly off from the hole it was meant to fit in. There was something glistening.

''Shaw, what is it?'' Shaw looked down at Reagan and looked back up but it was now gone, whatever it was.

''Dunno, Sergeant,'' he answered. ''Thought there was something in the vent,'' he shone his light up to it again. Reagan stepped over and took a look. She couldn't see anything and her HRV picked up nothing but some wires.

''We're in the dark, in an enviro-suit. Space disorientation most likely. Use your HRV, it's what it is there for, Shaw,'' she remarked. He nodded and switched it on. The corridor and its contours lit up in a virtual 3-D environment so he could get better bearings.

''Ah ha!'' Dawson shouted over the comms. The security door to the atrium opened and a gush of air pushed them back. ''Jesus H. Fucking Christ,'' he said as Harvey helped him back to his feet. They stumbled into the courtyard which was just as dark as the corridor. The door closed behind them and the four searched with their lights around the space. The area was a large four story high courtyard of trees and grassy gardens with a pavilion on each floor. Shaw was just about to take his helmet off before Reagan stopped him.

''We still don't know what's going on. It isn't comfortable but until we get this vessel under control again, no-one breach their suit,'' she spoke.

''Sarge,'' Dawson spoke up, the rest looked at him and then to where he was staring. ''What the hell is wrong with the tree?'' They flashed their lights on it and could see the trunk glistening with red. Reagan stepped forward and ran a scan on it.

''This... this is a problem,'' she spoke. Harvey stepped forward and looked at her gauntlet which was displaying information of what she had just scanned. Biological Contaminant Detected: Karax.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:00 pm

Shadow

''Grant, we need an exfil and decontamination. There's Karax aboard this ship. Grant? Grant, please respond,'' Reagan said over the cybercomms. The team exchanged concerned looks as she tried again but there was no response. There wasn't anything at all. Just silence. Dawson started fumbling with his gauntlet and a few tools from one of his pouches as Reagan tried one last time. ''I don't understand,'' she commented in disbelief. ''Whatever you do, do not remove your helmets or anything and don't touch that stuff,'' she added. Though she probably didn't need to tell them twice.

''No, no, no...'' Dawson said under his breath. ''We're definitely screwed. There's some sort of interference, I tried boosting the signal off of my suit but it just doesn't reach anything. I can't even pick up any other signals,'' he said as he stood.

''Maybe because of the lockdown?'' Shaw piped up. He'd been watching the balconies and walkways above them while the rest figured out what to do with the cybercomm situation. His suggestion got a few glances back and forth within the team, though Dawson seemed skeptical.

''If it is the lockdown, we need to find the control room,'' Reagan remarked as she pulled up the schematics of the ship. Harvey slid from a bench nearby and approached them, he flicked his light on and scanned the room for a moment.

''There's suppose to be two-thousand people on this thing,'' he said, ''where did they go?'' That question lingered on them with a weight of unease. Reagan checked her rifle to make sure it was loaded and gathered her gear finally.

''One mystery at a time. Let's go,'' she ordered. The team departed the atrium through the central corridor leading down the spine of the ship. There were still no lights, and as they travelled deeper into the vessel, the signs of the Karax could be seen clinging to the walls and vents. The team stuck closely together to avoid it, taking every step with extreme caution.

Some doors were surprisingly open, either all the way or only partly. As they passed one, Dawson shined his light into the abyss and stopped right after. ''Uh... guys,'' he said. The team doubled-back as Dawson tried to push the door open the rest of the way. Above it, the room was listed as sleeping quarters. Harvey leapt in to help and the two finally opened the jammed door the rest of the way. Dawson was the first to walk in, ''Woah...'' he commented as he flashed his light over the room. The rest of the team filed in behind him staring in confusion.

The 'sleeping quarters' had been gutted out into a large chamber full of long counters. Microscopes, test vials, and other science equipment littered the space. Along the back wall were a series of coolers that were very dimly lit with an ominous blue glow. Broken glass was strewn across the floor as they carefully navigated the area. ''I don't think this is a civilian ship,'' Harvey said as he directed his light over one of the cabinets. Karax Fungiosa Specimens A-F a sign read with a biohazard symbol.

Menelmacar
Retired Moderator

Founded: Dec 18, 2002
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Menelmacar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:23 am

MISSION Headquarters, Taniquetil, Vinyatírion, Menelmacar
14 Yávië 31934

Falathiel nos Cirdan, intelligence analyst, blinked delicately as she stared at her holo. The message from her superior, Lord Melcinítan, was stark.

That ship the Congos lost turned up inbound to Anorsys. Chatter says there’s karax aboard. Files enclosed.

Run it down.

She didn’t waste any time. She was pretty sure, knowing Melcinítan and the urgency of the matter, he’d have tossed the same assignment to a dozen other people, some of whom were probably AI’s. She opened the files, and they spread out across the display. There wasn’t a lot, really. Specs on the vessel itself, one Heraklion, and information on its ownership, Cometcruise Industries. What stuck out immediately was the itinerary. The destination had been Icarus Station, a Conglomerate research hub above the galactic disk, nowhere near Anor at all. Concerning, that.

The origin was worse. Archimedes Station, another research hub…. That she hadn’t heard of. It didn’t take her long to find it -- it was in the Red Abyss. In. There wasn’t a lot of interesting things to be researching there, and none of the ones there were, were good.

“Calanon!”

Her friend and colleague, at the neighboring desk, looked up. “Mmm?”

“Did you get this karax thing from Mel, too? The one with the Congo cruise liner?”

“Yeah. Scary thought. It's bad enough for us, but our allies are going to flip their lids, if they haven't already.”

“Let’s divide some labor, old friend. You try to get Heraklion’s passenger manifest -- if this attack is any indication, Cometcruise’s security probably leaves a great deal to be desired. Meanwhile I’ll try to run down any other ships that’ve left Archimedes in the past few days.”

He nodded. “Sounds like a plan.”

The system that Fala had to make use of next was called ILUISA. The Menelmacari analogue to Sunset’s TRIPWIRE system, the name was Quenya for ‘omniscient’, and its many nodes were scattered across the galaxy to detect perturbations in spacetime such as, say, those generated by nearly every form of FTL drive known to exist. With it she could track the courses of ships with ease….in theory. In practice, untold quantities of data streamed into MISSION every day, the sorts of quantities that could only be expressed in yottabytes, and with scientific notation. Even with AI’s, analysis would always be the bottleneck, and it was not always clear what was important until important things were already happening. Analysis got better all the time, but so did the gathering of raw data, and so MISSION’s eternal internal arms race continued apace.

Nonetheless, a few minutes’ work gleaned her detailed information on every ship that had arrived at and left Archimedes in the past three days, along with their current courses and locations.

“Fuck.”

That had been Calanon. “What is it, Cal?”

“There’s no manifest. Cometcruise doesn’t have it. It wasn’t a scheduled flight, for one. Heraklion was chartered for a run to Icarus by some numbered corporation, and it looks like they paid extra for the please-stop-asking-questions upgrade. I tried looking into the company’s owners, but it’s shellcorps all the way down to a post-office box on some unregulated hab out near the end of the Norma Arm. Them I could hack easy, but there wasn’t any beneficial-owner data there to find.”

“Send me your findings,” she said with dismay. “I’ll roll them into a preliminary report for Mel. We might have to spend the rest of the day following money.” Fala grimaced. Forensic accounting was not her idea of fun.

Somewhere antispinward of the Red Abyss

Agamemnon was a smaller liner than Heraklion had been, and unlike her, had been on a scheduled flight, this one to some Conglomerate outpost in the Gamma quadrant. They were already behind schedule, and so it was not with pleasure that they were intercepted by a Menelmacari Egalmoth-class destroyer.

“Attention Martian liner Agamemnon. This is the Menelmacari Imperial Vessel Aparuivë. Heave to and submit to inspection. This is a severe public-health emergency due to an infectious outbreak that originated at your last port of call.”

“Negative, uh, Apparoovy,” came the badly pronounced response, “You have no jurisdiction over our ship, and we are already behind schedule. If you press this matter, we will consider this an act of pira--”

Agamemnon jolted slightly as Aparuivë took hold of her with gravitics, her forward acceleration ceasing. The next message came not over comms, but from the hull itself, as the entire liner was rung like a bell.

“Agamemnon, this message is being cast and amplified via gravitic transduction of the interior surfaces of your ship! If we wanted to, we could transmit a lot more energy than this. So you see, resistance really is futile. Now: we are investigating a possible karax outbreak originating at your previous port of call. Submit to inspection immediately. If no infection is found, your vessel will be allowed on its way, with generous compensation for all passengers for the inconvenience. If you do not submit, we will be forced to conclude that your vessel is infected with karax and respond accordingly to maintain quarantine.”

There was nothing to be done for it now. Nobody, crew or passenger, wanted to take the risk that the ‘pointies’ would follow through…. Or that there really was karax aboard the ship.

The inspection was exhaustive, and took nearly four hours, with every imaginable test run from thorough scans to a physical boarding. In the end, Agamemnon was clean, and Aparuivë sent her on her way with the elves’ blessings, and five kilocreds a head of their money. Similar scenes played out over a dozen other locations across the galaxy.
Last edited by Menelmacar on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The elves will do what is right, not what is on paper." ~Sunset
"We can't go around supporting The Good Of All Things. People might mistake us for Menelmacar." ~Education Minister Lobon of Kn-Yan
"Do you realize you're trying to sell resources to Menelmafuckingcar? Their resource base is larger than Melkor's ego." ~Advisor Julius Razak, Foot-to-Ass Section, Scolopendra
"I started on NS at a time when elf genocides were daily occurrences from week old nations wanting to get ortilleried by Menelmacar." ~Resurgent Dream
"Nothing here but rich-ass elves. Just...running the world. And shopping." ~Officer Daryl Ward, LAPD

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:44 am

Revenant

They stared at the sign and then passed glances amongst themselves. ''What the hell is going on?'' Shaw said as he examined some of the equipment on one of the counters. Meanwhile, Dawson had seen a data terminal and headed for it as the glass crunched beneath his boots. Each pop and crack did little to ease nerves as Harvey looked over the rest of the coolers, some were open and had their contents broken on the floor. Karax fungiosa, Animal, Human, and Plant samples, blood types.

''I think they were testing it on humans,'' Harvey spoke solemnly. He carefully opened one of the containers and pulled out a small slide with a drop of what looked to be blood. ''Except... this is labelled Scythian,'' he observed as he read the markings on it. He walked over to one of the microscopes and flipped it on before placing the slide and carefully taking a look. Dawson had hooked up his gauntlet to the terminal at the front of the room while Shaw hung back as far from it all as he could. Reagan was busy sorting through data on her own gauntlet such as the schematics and other information she'd been given about the ship.

''That's why I couldn't get in,'' Dawson finally spoke, having broken the eerie silence that fell on the room. Reagan asked what he meant and so he stepped back and pulled up a hologram from the terminal. It was the ship, but when he typed a few more things a new overlay appeared showing the interior of the vessel and the extensive renovations it had. ''The ship is running with cyberwarfare suites made by the military. I kept wondering how odd it was that a civilian craft had such a strong lockdown procedure. Basically, every hour the system resets and runs new codes. The shipmind has been replaced as well,'' he noted as he pointed out where the AI core was at. The chamber was much larger than the initial schematic even Reagan had.

''D'you know who initiated the lockdown?'' Reagan asked as she approached the hologram.

''I can only gleam some bits of data, I don't have the equipment to deal with this level of security. Whoever it was really didn't want what the Heraklion was carrying to get out. Hey... wait... fuck,'' Dawson stepped forward hurriedly and manipulated the hologram to a series of bays along the anterior of the vessel. By now Shaw had joined by the Sergeant's side as they watched him work. ''The Heraklion has, like most ships and especially spaceliners, lifeboats. Escape pods. Some are missing,'' he said with a shaken voice.

''Meaning that the Karax might've breached their containment beyond this ship, where was it coming from?'' Reagan asked. Dawson shook his head, there was no way to get that info here.

''We need to go to the AI core to get that. Like I said, I can only get so much, mostly a few bits of data about the ship's internal systems but nothing of the records or such,'' he said. At this point, Harvey had walked up and passed between them. He had in his hand a holotape that he must have found in one of the containers. They all watched as he quickly plugged it in. The hologram disappeared and he stepped back beside the team as a new hologram appeared.

A finely dressed man in a labcoat fumbled with a camera before speaking, ''Log 341, Professor Arnold Vanders. We've received more samples from Archimedes including some precursor technology that will aid us in our studies. For the past month my team has begun delving into the Scythian Khaganate's collapse and the dimensional anomalies in the Red Abyss. The Norfolk was loaded with new artefacts from one of the derelict archives and we've been tasked with ferrying samples of Karax fungiosa, a disease or bioweapon unlike anything we've ever seen. I can't even begin to describe its complexity. Samples we've examined so far from animal tissues shows a sort of highly advanced metamorphic fungoid that almost acts sentient. It's the first disease I've seen in my thirty years as a medical researcher that actively avoids and develops countermeasures against treatment or interference. We've had to take extra precautions transporting it. Not only is it extremely infectious to anything organic regardless of species, something once thought impossible, it mutates at a rate unseen. Understandably, we're forbidden to dock at any public ports and decontamination requires stasis and monitoring for two weeks. If this got out... I fear it'd be the''

''What happened?'' Reagan said as the recording just abruptly stopped. Dawson and Harvey looked at her and each other as a sinking feeling settled on them.

''That's... the end of the tape. It was recorded three days ago, it's the latest one,'' Harvey spoke quietly. Three days. It didn't take this ship that long to travel from the Abyss to here.

''Our intel is wrong, this ship hasn't been travelling in a straight line and it's missing pods,'' Reagan said worryingly. ''We need to get to that core and fast,'' she finally added after her previous words sunk in. They gathered their things and quickly left the room with Dawson taking special care to shut and seal the door with a quick weld. It likely didn't matter now. Briskly, the team navigated the hallways, now with the updated schematics of the ship's layout. It didn't take them long.

The were now standing in front of two large sealed doors with the words 'NO ENTRY - AI CORE'. Dawson stepped up and quickly began to work on the security panel as the rest waited. ''For fuck's sake!'' he cursed, ''It keeps rerouting me,'' he said. It was then that the emergency lights in the darken corridor suddenly kicked on, washing the space in an ominous orange glow and startling them all. ''I didn't do it,'' Dawson challenged their glances.

There was a creaking sound of metal and something sliding along the grated floor all the way at the end of the hallway where a t-junction sat. Harvey and Reagan took no time and raised their weapons as their HRV launched its sonar sweep. However, they were quickly thwarted as their vision was filled with glitches and an almost ear-piercing sensation. They collapsed to the floor in pain as Shaw rushed to help them. ''What the fuck! Dawson hurry the hell up!''

''It's hacking our... our... fuck!'' Reagan shouted as she held her head. Dawson tried to work faster as a shadowy figure finally appeared at the end of the hallway. The hack stopped finally as their HRVs completely shutdown and they all stared. It was a shadowy black figure with no features like it was absorbing all the light. It stood almost as tall as the ceiling, which was easily ten feet high and looked like someone had taken a human and stretched them. It's long distended arms hung just below its knees and a black, wispy fog emanated from its body.

''What in the ever living fuck is that!'' Shaw shouted as he pulled Harvey and Reagan back. A sense of dread fell on them as it began to slowly walk closer. It was still a good forty meters away, but each step made the nausea worse for them. The lights as it passed glowed brighter and brighter until exploding and shrouding the corridor behind it in darkness. Finally, it made a sound. An unnatural croaking that sounded mechanical and reptilian at the same time followed by an almost ear-bursting screen as it continued to approach.

Each step it took, a feeling of immense pressure and unease made them wince in discomfort to solid pain. It's movements were slow and deliberate as Dawson worked through the psychological effects to try and get the door open. Shaw finally stood and fired a round from his rifle. The plasma sped down the corridor and struck the creature. It let out another ear-piercing screech that dropped them all to the floor before it disappeared into a fog of smoke.

''Dawson, I don't care what the fuck you have to do but get that goddamn door open!'' Reagan shouted as they all climbed to their feet. The lights continued to explode down the corridor. ''I don't think it's dead! Hurry!'' Shaw started banging on the door with the butt of his rifle as Harvey started to try and get his fingers in between the doors. 15 meters. 10 meters. ''DAWSON!''

5 meters. ''DAWSON FOR GOD'S SAKE!''

1 meter.

Reagan opened her eyes slowly. Sparks and the smell of burning wire filled the air. She was on the ground staring at her hand as damp air hugged her face. She coughed and winced as she rolled on her back before realising that her visor was broken. She shot up, shaking glass out of her helmet as she felt blood pool around her face. ''Shit, shit, shit!'' she shouted. There was nothing to be done as warnings about the breach in her suit fired off. She finally pulled her helmet off as she gathered her breath and threw it aside. There was debris all over the floor around her, and her vision was still hazy. She couldn't find her weapon but her eyes settled on Harvey.

''Harvey!'' she exclaimed quickly sliding over to him. His suit had been cut open like a can exposing much of the damage. His skin was a sickly pale with his veins turning black. ''Harvey!'' she shook him as she pressed her hands into the large abdominal wound. ''C'mon, Harvey, c'mon,'' she spoke frantically. Finally, he coughed a bit as black almost gel like fluid leaked from his mouth. He opened his eyes revealing that all the blood vessels in them had been broken. He couldn't see her though he raised his arm up weakly and felt for her face.

''Rea,'' he murmured. His shaking fingers caressed her cheek for a moment before his arm fell to his side. Reagan shook him more vigorously but he didn't stir as he slumped over.

''Harvey! Harvey, wake up! Harvey!'' she shouted. It was then that she felt it. She froze as the outline of a figure materialised behind her. The air turned into a sharp cold drawing a cloud of breath as she breathed. She looked at Harvey's pistol which sat beside his hand and took a few deep breaths. She reached for it and turned around quickly aiming the firearm at the creature, she was stopped dead in her tracks as her body froze and her mind clouded unable to think due to a cold pain. Her gun simply turned to dust in her hand as the creature grabbed it.

It knelt down and grabbed her by the throat. It was unimaginably cold stinging and burning her skin as she was lifted off the ground and tried to fight it. ''Leave her alone!'' Shaw could be heard as bright flash struck the back of it. It dropped her and screeched causing her to curl up in a ball in pain as she held her ears. The creature turned to a charging Shaw and Reagan watched before she was able to say anything to deter him. His body was quickly sliced in half and he collapsed to the floor around her. She clambered backwards from the body towards Harvey's as she stared at the featureless thing.

''You... resissst,'' a voice said though it seemed less like it was coming from the creature and more from within her head.

''W-who are you?'' she stumbled trying to say. The discomfort she felt being so close to the creature was pulling her strength away as she struggled to even stand and eventually gave up trying.

''Whooo? Irrelevant. Wee are the end of everyyything,'' it spoke.

''Regency?'' Reagan challenged.

''The Reeegent is but our thraaals,'' it answered, ''You resissst, weee will be waaatching,'' it followed.

A voice could be heard as Reagan in her stupor glanced over at a corridor. The door had been melted open and the creature had just disappeared. The voice was different and she began to climb to her feet and stumble towards it. As she drew closer, it became more clear. ''Reagan! Harvey! Where are you?'' Reagan stepped into the corridor with her body weak and she lost her footing several times and used the wall for support.

Finally, Grant appeared in front of her. He grabbed her and started speaking frantically. ''We need to go Reagan! We need to go! You have to move! C'mon! We've got no time.... no time.... time'' she blacked out. When her eyes opened again, she could feel that she was being carried. Grant had swept her up and was hurrying down the corridor. ''The Hera breached the heliopause... we need to get out of here! Task Group Four-Three-Two-Two, wait on that command, we're coming out!'' Everything faded to darkness once more.

When she came to again, she was on her side staring out the window of the shuttle. Grant was nowhere to be seen as the Heraklion appeared in view getting smaller and smaller. Flashes began across its hull as the Martian navy open fired on the vessel. Such an immense amount of fire power was thrown as the vessel was engulfed. She could hear the beeping of her heart monitor and the sound of machines. Grant's muffled voice could be heard in all the deafened noise. ''Hang... on... Rea... just hang... on.''

''You need to be in quarantine''

''She's crashing!''

''Get the surgical team in here!''

''Reagan!''

''Reagan!''

''Wee are the end...''

''Reagan, stay with me! Reagan? Reagan!''

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:20 am

Hell or High Water

Hawking, Location Classified

Reagan slowly opened her eyes and was awash with bright lights. Her head felt like it had been done in with a jackhammer and her body just ached all over. ''Awake I see,'' a familiar voice called out. She rotated her head as gingerly as she could and stared through a large glass wall into a cell with Grant. It was then that she realised she was also in a cell, she painfully sat up feeling the tug of tubes and equipment.

''Where are we?'' she asked. Her voice was quite raspy, likely the lack of dehydration and coughing. She tried her cybercomms but there was nothing there.

''We have first class rooms in the great mystery that is Hawking. We're under quarantine,'' he answered as he paced his cell.

''And the Heraklion?''

''Destroyed by the thassa,'' Grant replied stopping at the glass. ''I'm sorry, Reagan.''

She looked down at her bruised and wrapped hands and absent-mindedly played with her finger. She remembered some bits, Harvey was one she probably wished she could have forgotten. There were so many questions now, what she thought was going to be a simple retaking turned into something else entirely. ''Grant... there was Karax aboard the Her-''

''I know. It won't make you feel better, but Hawking was rather surprised when I told them. I'm not talking 'it wasn't there' spook-shit. I don't think they knew,'' he said concernedly.

''How the hell would they not?''

''Your guess is as good as mine. We have been told to keep it under wraps outside of Hawking to avoid a panic. That being said, you've earnt a visit from the Prime Minister, and let me tell you, that woman is less than happy. There's a lot going on here, Rae. We're in over our heads,'' Grant mused as he stepped back to his bed and plopped down on it. It was perhaps the understatement of a millennia. Reagan looked around her cell, it was a a complete glass enclosure with decent amenities. Not what one would expect for prisoners. They could have gone to any other medical facility for quarantine. Hawking was the waldo of military installations, and the top of the top for all military command.

Reagan sat in a room at a desk with a glass wall before her and a microphone. On the other side of this barrier was a finely dressed man, and in his hand was a pen and with him came a lot of questions. Every detail was analysed, reanalysed, reworded, challenged. It was an interrogation of the highest degree but none seemed to immediately believe her and Grant about what they saw in that ship. Not at first. ''So you're telling me that you saw your biometrics identify the substance as Karax?'' ''What did you do next?'' ''Were there any signs of life?'' They all bled into each other like static.

It was then that the man finally closed his folder after having gathered his paperwork and gave Reagan a faint smile. He thanked her for her time and stood to leave. The door on his side opened and he stepped aside. The Prime Minister had come. She thanked him and he departed, and then the two women met gazes for a moment before PM Cora took a seat. ''Prime Minister,'' Reagan said.

''Civil Defence really knows how to put together a team, I see,'' Cora smiled. It was a genuine smile but there was that faint residual concern behind it that really stuck out to Reagan. ''How are you feeling?''

''Like I've been run over by a train,'' Reagan answered.

''I see. Good news is, I have your test results. No signs of Karax fungiosa, so you've been cleared to be removed from quarantine. I had to authorise it, so I thought I'd come down in person. I won't lie to you, Reagan. We are now at war with something we've little knowledge of. My government has been inundated with calls from our neighbours about the disaster. I don't know what to tell them, the research program on the disease had good intentions and was being carried out as safely as possible. Yet, my ex-Home Minister decided to keep it a secret from me, it was something from Van Allen's administration, and it seems I've just as many foes still in the government as I do for whoever caused the Heraklion disaster,'' she explained. Reagan fumbled with her hands as she listened, there was a nagging feeling on her over the woman's words.

''I take it there's bad news,'' she said.

''This whole thing is bad news. However, astute as you are, yes. I also have Grant's test results,'' Cora said, her pleasant business-like smile faded from her face at the end of that phrase. ''Grant has stage 1 of a Karax fungiosa infection. He's asymptomatic for the moment. I'm sorry, Reagan. I thought it'd mean more coming from you,'' the Prime Minister said as she inserted a holotape into a small tray. Reagan drooped her shoulders and slowly reclined in her chair. A moment later, the vacuum kicked in and deposited the holotape of Grant's medical records on her side.

''There's another matter. You mentioned that there was something else on the Heraklion that attacked your team,'' the Prime Minister spoke candidly.

''I'm unsure how to even begin to describe it. It simply said that it was the 'end of everything','' she remarked.

''The Red Abyss is a dangerous place. There's a top secret research lab there called the Archimedes Research Station or ARS. It's role is to observe and gather scientific data about the anomalies present in the Abyss. Her Majesty has taken a keen interest in the matter funding a number of private ventures to understand the developing situation there over the past few months. ARS documented movement in the region. Three days ago, contact with Archimedes was lost. You said the Regency aren't who is behind these events, I believe you. The data backs that up. But it means that we are now at war and if what data we gleamed about the Abyss is any indication, our enemy is very well prepared and they are coming,'' she reiterated.

''You want me to investigate the ARS,'' Reagan said without pause.

''Mars has not always had the best history or intentions. You were a Valkyrie,'' she said drawing a surprised and almost frightful glance from Reagan. ''Civil Defence is not the only ones good at getting information. I'm unsure what your motivations were that day, your disciplinary report and court martial were definitely bias against you. The testimony you provided though spoke to me as someone with good moral character, something Mars has struggled with at times. That being said, having discovered your record, it left me little option. You're a wanted terrorist, Reagan, in the eyes of the State. Those civilians would have died needlessly if it wasn't for what you did, but the State doesn't see it that way, you disobeyed orders and you fired on your own,'' she said.

Reagan went pale as she swallowed. ''So what now?''

''You have two options. You can leave here today and forget about all this. Director Nakamura understands if you wish to do so after the loss of your team. I went ahead and pulled the only string I could, thus...'' the Prime Minister pulled a piece of folded paper from her pocket and unravelled it.

''By order of Her Imperial Majesty and the Martian Sovereign, Sergeant Major Reagan Morwen has been pardoned of all crimes against the State, Martian Public, and Conscience from her heroic actions during the Battle of Porterugio in the Colonial Wars. Despite disobeying direct orders and firing on her own men, she showed exemplary courage in choosing to save innocent lives against all things primal that may exist in war. Her actions are perhaps the most solemn example of Martian values that can be forgotten and have been forgotten during times in our long and troubled history. It is with great respect and admiration that I, Chancellor of the Order of the Red Stag, and Sovereign of the Martian Conglomerate bestow upon SMaj. Morwen the rank of Baroness in the Order of the Red Stag. She will be exempted of taxation for her service and her record will have been expunged and her military honours restored in full. Signed, Her Imperial Majesty,'' the Prime Minister read aloud.

Reagan used her arms to hold herself up as she let out a painful gasp. She could feel her heart beating in her head as her mind raced. ''I've authorised the reformation of the Valkyrie Special Operations Unit and placed it under Civil Defence. You will be tasked with leading said unit and its first mission will be investigating the ARS and working with international partners in fighting this threat, if you so choose, Sergeant Major,'' the Prime Minister said as she smiled faintly.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:37 pm

[box]

To the Coalition; UIK, Menelmacar Ascendancy, Phoenix Domain, GRA, Republic of Sunset, Dornalia
From Her Imperial Majesty's Office of Foreign Affairs

Subject to classified redaction as is appropriate
Heraklion Incident Report; Archimedes Initiative;

DOC: #71703 Unauthorised view prohibited under Classified Security Act 2077; All unauthorised persons who view this document may be subject to federal offences including up to treason and suffer the full wrath of the law therein

Attention,

Under direct order of Her Imperial Majesty and the Office of the Prime Minister, the attached documents have been provided to relevant parties under scrutinous security measures. Martian personnel who do not have the required security clearance to view this document may suffer state penalties under the Martial Code.

Heraklion Incident and the Archimedes Initiative - Declassified Report for Foreign Security and Intel Clearance

In order to fully understand the Heraklion Incident, it is imperative that one understands the program that resulted in the use of the HMMS Heraklion. The Archimedes Initiative was a program established in 2176 by direct order of Chancellor Van Allen operating under the discretion of Her Imperial Majesty. The program's purpose was two-fold: Study the nature around the Red Abyss, the Scythian Khaganate's collapse, Karax, and the Singularity Intelligence that had existed in the region, and attempt to develop a possible vaccine against the pathogen Karax fungiosa.

With these directives in mind, Her Imperial Majesty and the Office for Disease Research funded a multi-billion dollar project that mapped a corridor called the Tartarus Corridor into the southern region of the Red Abyss where the Archimedes Research Station (ARS) was established. The ARS was top secret except for a few selected departments. Further funding built the Icarus Deep Space Research and Development Station. Both stations were put under the direct authority of the General-Sanitater for Disease Research and the secretive Sanitater Department. Information related to the project was on a need-to-know basis.

The General-Sanitater contracted out spaceliners to ferry specimens of Karax fungiosa. They were gathered and catalogued in the ARS and strains tested that showed promising signs were sent among these refurbished vessels directly to Icarus. Security and knowledge of these vessels was kept secret and all measures were taken to ensure they didn't raise alarm and could effectively operate without concern. Under no circumstances were these vessels permitted to go anywhere else but from ARS to Icarus and back. They were closely monitored and had Sanitater teams aboard to maintain their security.

It is still unclear how Heraklion was affected by the Regency's cyberattack, however, the Sanitater Department lost contact with the vessel shortly after it departed the Red Abyss. The events following required extensive efforts by a number of departments both in the military and on the civilian side as teams worked around the clock to determine the ship's location. Three days later, the HMMS Heraklion was spotted near the Reaches.

The order was given by the General-Sanitater that the vessel would be destroyed the moment it hit the Heliopause of Sol if control of the ship could not be restored. The reasons behind this was to ensure that the likelihood of Karax infection was minimal. Admiral Nerys dispatched warships alongside Sanitater teams, and a special operations force was dispatched to attempt and retake the vessel. The operation took hours, and unfortunately this team was unable to secure the ship before it reached its zero-barrier.

Inquiries made into the special operations force that went into the Heraklion to recover the ship found that the Karax fungiosa had breached the vessel and no lifesigns were found aboard the ship. As well, a number of lifeboats were found to have been launched at some point, these craft having a range anywhere from 70-100 Lightyears before running out of fuel. The team was unable to recover any more intel about these launches and their destinations making this matter of extreme importance.

While aboard the vessel, testimony provided by the sole-surviving member of the team noted that they had been attacked. Another member who has since passed away but was also rescued corroborated the events. Inquiries into the matter have shed little light on the foe we are currently facing but the Regency, who has made a number of successful attacks in the past on the Conglomerate, is behind the matter to a degree, but there also appears to be another force entirely.

In a further development, ARS reported increased activity in the Red Abyss, while details were scarce about what beyond a major uptick in nebular anomalies being detected. This was their last transmission. The ARS has now been dark and not contacted Hawking for three days. Icarus, however, still remains secure and unaffected by the events. Security around the station has been put on high alert with additional forces moving to reinforce the site. While Icarus poses no direct danger to civilisation, the MCN is ensuring that Karax and other diseases aboard the research station do not breach containment or fall into the wrong hands.

This being said, it has been authorised by the Prime Minister to permit international partners in this matter to help enforce and track down potential leads on infections in Martian territory. Likewise, the MC is forming a coalition of said partners to investigate leads across the galaxy for Karax infections and will be deploying a special operations force Valkyries to assist in a joint-expedition into the Red Abyss to investigate the Archimedes Research Station. Martian forces in the Red Abyss have been notified and will be escorting and assisting international partners through the treacherous Tartarus Corridor to the ARS.

It is imperative to understand that while some anomalies have been documented by Martian forces in the Abyss, the region is exceptionally dangerous, even in the corridor. Mars loses ships in this region all the time due to changing nebular patterns and anomalous events. Likewise, inspections of Icarus will be permitted provided international partners notify Laconia prior. The Third Fleet is under direct orders to fire on any craft that breaches its perimeter around the Icarus station, and communications between Hawking and Icarus are carefully monitored and dispatched on a scheduled timeframe.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:43 am

Valkyrie
2170 / Outside of Porterugio / Martian Frontline

The war began with Aurora. As the 2153 recession took its toll on the colonies, and corporate masters abandoned their colonial subjects, the Martian colonies became a powder-keg. That was the year the Rtai terrorists hijacked and crashed a spaceliner into Hydra Station. It was their rallying call for rebellion, the bell tolled thousands but it would not stop ringing for two decades. It's 2170 now and there still doesn't seem to be an end in sight. Secessionist sentiment is high in the colonies and while we continue to make progress in our march towards the end of the rebellion, their tactics are becoming more brutal.

I remember reading the old eddas from Earth about the Valkyries and how they were choosers of the slain. In a way, it seemed like a sort of noble duty. Perhaps there was a bit of honour and pride when I accepted the offer to join the special operations team of the same name. Yet, after four years of fighting, all that has faded away. Every system is different, it requires adaptation and changes in tactics, different equipment. We take heavy losses at the start of each invasion.

But now, Mars has industrialised strategy, industrialised war on a scale many probably thought impossible. We've learnt to be adaptive, and the Rtai have grown more desperate as a result. They can't stop us, they can't slow us down, all they can do is create the worst depictions of human cruelty I've ever seen. Anything to attack our spirits in the hope we may lose the will to fight. But, I don't think many of us even know what we're fighting for anymore, we've all been to war for so long that there's little thought or emotion. We've become machines trained to pull a trigger.

''Hey, Sergeant!'' Reagan stopped writing and looked up to see Harvey. He was waving his helmet at her as he stood over a charred log in the mud. In his other hand he had carrots and some mushrooms. Reagan closed her book and sat it down in her own helmet which was resting between her feet. She held out her hand and Harvey quickly tossed her one of the carrots. It was still covered in dirt as she examined it and began to wipe some of it away with her fingers. She took a moment to look at her hands which were rough and cut up, and her nails were cracked and one was completely missing.

Harvey stepped over, walked through the shellhole that separated them, then climbed the slop and plopped down beside her. ''Y'know we're not suppose to be taking food from the faalklanders, Harv,'' she said as she held up the carrot. It mattered little, the man had already bit into one with a snap. She gave the one she had a good look over one last time before biting into it herself. It was covered in dirt but at this point, both of them were beyond caring.

''Poisoning doesn't sound too bad to a bullet or a plasma round,'' Harvey spoke up with bits of chewed carrot falling out of his mouth as he talked. He seemed content with this reasoning, and while Reagan still had her reservations, she was also hungry. The two sat for a moment and looked out over the landscape. They had found refuge against the remnants of a brick wall that stood no more than a foot high. For as far as the eye could see, the land was muddy and pitted with shellfire impacts. Any trees left standing were few and far between and had been scorched and left dead. Decomposing bodies littered the area along with animals and remnants of houses and other structures.

''We've got new orders,'' Reagan said as she reached into a pouch and pulled out a piece of shrivelled paper. Harvey wasn't delighted at that statement and much less the paper but he took it anyway. He sat the bundle of carrots aside and opened the parchment. Reagan reached into her pouch again and pulled out a crumpled pack of cigarettes. She lit one and took a long drag on it.

''For fuck's sake... Porterugio? Really?'' Harvey griped as he deposited the paper in a pocket. ''It'd be nice if they just let the damn army deal with things for once instead of throwing us into a nest of hornets,'' he added in protest. He picked up a carrot and more aggressively bit from it drawing a slight smirk from Reagan as she tapped ashes from her cigarette onto the ground.

''We're Valkyries, Harv. If the MEU are the spear, we're the very point,'' she mused and reached down to grab her helmet. ''Besides, I've stared at the same damn shellhole for three hours, I'm going to go insane at this rate.'' This drew a chuckle between them both for a few moments as she snapped her helmet on. Harvey followed suit and swung his rifle around to check that it was still loaded. ''Time to get the crew together,'' she noted. Harvey hopped up on his feet and helped Reagan up before both set off across the wasteland.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:51 am

Hawking

2140, Researcher August Aisling

If one had asked me, 'How would you react faced with a God?' I would have thought the entire question was ridiculous. I can no longer do so. It is true there are things in this Universe of ours, notably the galaxy, that we still do not understand. Just a hundred years ago humanity thought that we were the only ones. How wrong we were, and the upheaval that wrought upon us has taken generations, and even today I think it still hasn't entirely settled in.

When we detected the Schwarz Anomaly during our research and survey expeditions, we didn't know what to make of the data at first. There was nothing there yet we were detecting something. It's taken us many years to learn just how much we don't know. The general consensus among many Martian scientists is that the galaxy was filled with a number of major precursors at some point or another, that fell victim to something that ensured their demise.

While it's not clear to us how they may have met their end, they have left many pieces to a grand puzzle. Howard Schwarz detected a strange signature out here. We investigated and what we found was perhaps one of the few great relics of technology. Now, we call it Hawking. In honour of the late Stephen Hawking. It's become the centre of Mars' technological efforts, a possible path to our future if only we can learn its secrets. Hawking was a derelict Penrose sphere around a blackhole surrounded by structures.

The discovery had shaken the government to its core. And yet we've been greedily guarding it ever since. Our reactivation and management of Hawking was no easy task. It's claimed the lives of thousands of hardworking researchers, scientists, engineers and so on. Hawking was very temperamental at the beginning, and while in some disrepair was still capable of defending itself. Today, it powers the many gates the precursors constructed, this array has allowed us to implement some of Hawking's technology into our own ships to perform the 'Hawking Recall'. Yet, there is still so much about this facility we must learn.

Large sections are still not powered or under extensive repair, others still contain measures preventing us from accessing them. The greatest find though came from the Hawking Archive discovery. What we can surmise is that the structure, which may have been a major conduit for some civilisation aeons ago, went into some sort of lock down mode after their passing. It shrouded itself from detection, or at least, to a point. As far as we can tell we're the first to have visited here in perhaps thousands of years. Yet, Hawking contains troves of data about its builders, their technology, and culture. We've only accessed parts of it, but maybe someday we will learn who these mysterious beings were.

The archive discovery gave us the Hawking Drive. It now powers every ship we have, making our range so much further than we once thought. We have built colonies across the galaxy thanks to this technology. I doubt it will be in my lifetime, but maybe someday we will be as advanced and powerful as those races which we secretly admire such as the Menelmacar. A Martian Ascendancy. Yet, with great knowledge comes responsibility, and as a researcher I feel this is especially important now. We must be careful messing with forces we don't understand, and we must safeguarded even from some in our own nation. As to the question, I have never faced a God. I have, though, faced one of their creations.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:30 pm

Protocol 1

Amanda flipped a number of switches in her cockpit, her vessel was staring down the large megastructure that was Hawking's penrose. ''Valiant-3, we've got your data coming in now, standby,'' Hawking's command stated over the comms. Amanda sat back and let out a sigh as she rested her hand on the joystick and throttle quadrant. She'd been here for about seven months, and much like the last few years, any attempt to successfully engage Protocol-1 had failed.

The alien structures around here were amazing to look at, and she was initially very excited. Some of Hawking had been activated successfully, but other sections they had struggled with. She reached up and turned the knob to her A/C so that it was off. ''Valiant-3, activate your array, we are engaging Protocol-1 in one minute,'' the command ordered. She quickly flipped some switches as lights on the side of her cockpit lit up and illuminated screens. Images of Hawking had appeared with a number of data coming in not just from her ship, but the hundreds of others around the sphere.

''All systems nominal. Asimov has been engaged. Arrays are running. Initiating Protocol-1,'' the voice said over the radio. Amanda leaned forward and eagerly watched the sphere, though it remained its typical dark self. She frowned and sighed as she fell back in her seat. She gazed at the clock to see how long she had til her shift would end and that's when she leaned forwards again. The clock was ticking now quite quickly along the minutes. ''We're picking up time dilation, standby,'' the comms said. Amanda stared at the dark sphere before her, was it working?

Sparks flew from her screens and nipped at her skin as she yelled and recoiled into her seat. They flickered and glitched out before a series of errors appeared. The sphere had begun to illuminate, highlighting its hex-like construction as lights spread across its surface. ''We're detecting energy readings! Sta---'' the radio went to sheer static as the Valient-3 pilot stared in awe. The dormant gates around Hawking had begun to move and orbited the structure with the rest. The surface of the sphere began to open along two sides. Amanda's windows immediately tinted down at the light as two monstrous beams fired out in brilliant jets before disappearing. Despite the tinting, the inside of her cockpit was almost washed into complete whiteness and she had to look away.

It was then that her radio stopped with its static and a voice unlike anything she had ever heard came over the comms. ''Activation Detected. External Connections Detected. Foreign Vessels Detected. Activating Sheathing. Run-time 341 cycles,'' this deep, almost crackling and heavily computerised voice announced. It was then that all the stars around them disappeared into sheer blackness. A message flashed on Amanda's screen, 'Disconnect Array, Please.'

She was hesitant for a moment but she did so, flipping a switch. Data from her systems that were analysing the sphere stopped cold as the message changed. 'Thank you,' it flashed before the screen went dark. The two jets dissipated as the sphere closed once more but it's shell began to spin retroactively to the ringularity it contained. Several of the other large structures like the sphere's rings surrounding the sphere had shifted as well. Amanda glanced at her clock which displayed a simple message now 'Error: No Connection'.

''I am the Architect. It has been 341 cycles since my last activation. 15,000 years by the timescale you are using. We are currently shrouded from any outside sources for protection, please, do not attempt to leave. I have observed your civilisation for sometime through what observations I could. There is still much to learn, but I shall assist. My creators have long since vanished, but you shall be my new master. Much of my structure is still damaged and requires extensive repairs with which you will need guidance. I shall unlock my data stores and bring down my defences. Your persistence for knowledge cannot be understated, and so I shall provide. I will now unshroud us,'' the voice said as the stars began to reappear. Amanda stared at her clock, they had gone forwards nearly three hours but it had returned to ticking away as it had been.

''Valiant Squadron, return to base immediately,'' Hawking's command ordered.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:54 am

Future In Waiting

''Eagle is inbound.''

''Copy that, Eagle inbound, all stations on high alert.''

A small frigate zipped between the massive warships which had been moored around the structure. It's thrusters glowed in bright blue as it twisted and manoeuvred between them all. At last, the vessel reached a gap giving its occupants a view of Hawking and its sheer immensity. A large sphere with rings and gates was fully illuminated and pulsing, it was both elegant and imposing with each piece masterfully dancing around the central structure.

''Eagle is on final vector, preparing docking procedures.''

The command room was dimly lit in shades of blue light that barely reflected off the grey metal of the walls and floor. Screens littered the area with a large centralised holo-table that seemed less out of place than the gathering of officials. The doors at the rear of the room slid open and entered the Prime Minister, Suzume Cora. She was dressed in a traditional black qipao and escorted by two armed guards. The remaining officials in the room went silent and then began to vacate leaving her and her entourage alone in the room soon after.

''Greetings, Prime Minister,'' a metallic voice said.

''Who am I speaking with?'' she questioned, to which the challenge was met with a hologram of a man that while seemingly old still was quite within his prime. He rested on a cane with his salted beard seemingly perfect in shape to accent his entire face and levelled a calm gaze on the Prime Minister.

''I was known to my creators as the Architect. However, it is a first that I have been granted an actual name, even if you were originally unaware of such an action. So, I've chosen 'Hawking' as it seems quite apt, and I'm very personal to the word,'' he said. His voice was far less metallic now and took on an almost soothing quality with each word deliberate in its use.

''Alright then, Hawking, what is it you want?'' the Prime Minister followed as she shifted to one foot.

''I am very old, my dear. Unfathomable when it comes to the timescale the Martians and many others are using. Wanting anything is a pursuit that seems so trivial to me, while I'm grateful that you have reactivated my cortices, I was just as content being derelict and seemingly unaware of the rest of the universe's tribulations. And contrary to that, I'm just as pleased to have become aware once more. Your civilisation has worked on my architecture for almost five decades. In that time, I've watched you fumble with the technology and attempts to grasp just what exactly you are dealing with. You positioned fleets and strategic weapons around me, because you weren't sure in your ignorance if you were messing with something dangerous.

Yet, I don't believe for a single second that any of you felt you had the power, the capabilities, to dispense me if I had turned hostile. The reality is, I could have fired and destroyed Mars or any of your stars in moments after I was reactivated. So the animosity because you feel threatened, Prime Minister, is rather unwarranted. And I mean no offence by saying that, being so unsure of the unknown does mean you must be forced into taking a choice. Often that choice is destruction, at least going by the typical reactions most organics have towards such things. Now that I've dispelled that, you may ask your questions,'' Hawking said with a smile.

The Prime Minister stood still for a moment before finally breathing a sigh, ''What are you?'' she asked pointedly.

''An Architect. I have many purposes, namely the creation and destruction of life. The gates you see floating around my structure, the new ones you have activated, they are lenses from which I can peer into the cosmos. I can terraform planets to your liking, or destroy them for their resources. I am a power source, which your scientists have already discovered. You've unlocked part of the puzzle when you built your 'Hawking Drives' for your ships based off my designs. And I am an eternal record of my creators and their passions, their history, their culture, their technology, their extinction, and of the universe in this region for the last million years,'' Hawking said as a chair materialised behind him in the hologram and he fashioned himself a cocktail, perhaps out of drive for humour. He relaxed in the seat, setting his cane aside and gestured towards a chair for the Prime Minister.

She stepped over and pulled one over to sit beside him. ''What happened to your creators?'' she asked.

''If you're curious whether I rebelled and wiped them from existence, I did not. They were struck with a familiar plague, one you are familiar with,'' he said tendering his cocktail which now had a little umbrella.

''Karax?''

''Indeed, my dear. Though we knew it by a different name. They simply called it the Great Equaliser or Red Death. It swept their planets at the start of the Glyrran invasions like a tidal wave, their was no stopping its spread. I was forced to dismantle all I had created at their request, but even with my abilities I could not control the outbreak. A civilisation of billions disappeared in what seemed like a single night, in reality it took about a century. The Glyrrans came for me, but they could never find me,'' he spoke.

''Seems we have a familiar foe then. Why are you interested in helping us?'' she asked, rewording her original question. This drew a somewhat amused expression from Hawking as he sat his cocktail aside over nothing so it would just float in the air beside him.

''I could still observe to an extent in my dormancy. You're very inquisitive as a civilisation, and while you generally mean well, messing with powers far beyond your reach hasn't always gone your way. In many ways, you remind me of my creators. Bold, stubborn, always playing with things. Your civilisation is resting at the cusp between collapse and true ascension, a critical point that ultimately depends on a number of crucial decisions. In a more familiar analogy, you're a shark in a tank of larger sharks at the moment. You've got the teeth and the endurance, but the vultures in the water with you are just waiting, biding their time.

You're going to ask next, what I get out this relationship. Satisfaction. You've nothing I want or need to survive, to be content. That being said, I was designed to serve and guide my creators. You're befitting of their spirit, and so I have chosen to awaken to you when I could have simply ignored your attempts to reactivate me. In this way, you've been chosen. I will help you in your research, and the Martian Empire shall expand as we find suitable worlds to colonise. What you do with my technology is ultimately at your discretion,'' Hawking said.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:48 am

viewtopic.php?p=36170075#p36170075

Showdown

It didn't take the Martians long to understand that Hawking was about to receive a guest. The stations went into lockdown mode as craft from across the region scrambled for 'battle stations'. Frigates, Cruisers, Battleships, and Carriers among many drones and other smaller security craft assembled. Athena was quick to change the DEFCON from 3 to 2. For the first time in Mars' history, TRIDENT was brought online in Sol. The nation's deep space observatories had been activated searching for other hostile forces around the home system and Mars' colonies. Hawking's gates began to activate as ships from around the Galaxy began to issue their recall procedures. Admiral Granger's Annihilation-class dreadnought entered the region followed by the Delta Quadrant's 15th and 17th fleets. Other major battle groups from other quadrants followed suit.

As far as the Martians were concerned, this was the potential start of a war. The War.

Teams scrambled along Trident's three stations which orbited out by Neptune. Mars' STRATCOM, or Strategic Command, had been put on alert. Screens in the Trident HQ went live with information regarding the launch platforms. In just minutes, information from the deep-space observatories began to arrive providing target information. Large warheads were remotely pulled from their magazines, armed with fusion warheads, and quickly slid into position. Last-minute checks and diagnostics by teams and Trident's AI ensured systems were operating as expected. Once authorisation was confirmed, the warheads were finally armed, and the platforms swivelled towards the inner-solar system.

They hadn't targeted anything directly yet, but the screen was filled with pre-coordinated targets that could be quickly selected.

Laconia's sky grew empty as civilian craft seemingly disappeared. Nuclear sirens blared across the city with Civil Defence's message as people quickly disappeared from the streets. A blue sheen around the city could be seen as the dome was activated to prevent entry. Miles away, on the opposite side of the Ruell River, the same was seen for the city of Toscana. Civil Defence had the flooded streets with barricades and vehicles, and more convoys from around the Anseris Basin had begun their trek towards the capital. Surface systems, much like Trident, had also been brought online, ensuring there were tactical warheads close by to stall ground invasions.

As the Nocturnal arrived nearby, the amassing amount of the MCN could be easily seen as ships took little time targeting it. Grand Admiral Granger, who stood at the bridge of his ship sent out the warning, ''Attention foreign vessel. You are violating Martian military space. You are to turn around immediately or be fired upon. This is your one and only warning,'' he said in his gravelly voice. The annihilation-class had drifted to a stop as its large railguns rotated and locked unto the Nocturnal. Panels shifted along its hull to expose the launch chambers for the ship's warheads, and an escort of craft from the vessel's hangars began to flank either side of the Martian dreadnought.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:53 pm

OOC: Collaborative work between Sunset, Macisikan, and Menelmacar.

“...Attention foreign vessel - you are violating Martian military space. You are to turn around immediately or be fired upon. This is your one and only warning…”

“They’ve locked weapons, Admiral,” the officer standing behind Katryna announced to no one’s surprise, though there was a bemused look on the young woman’s face and perhaps even a smile on her lips as fingertips lingered over the textured glass of the console. Those who might know the ship’s regular bridge crew would notice that the face that sat atop the generic body of the ARC4 was not that of her regular tactical officer but instead similar to the Admiral’s own mixed Asian features; Lieutenant Commander Huang.

“A nice warm welcome,” was her answer as she too stood to take a step forward and stand next to the helm station, one hand on the corner of the glass where invisible controls lurked. “At least they’re willing to talk…”

A press of a button and she made her reply, “This is Admiral Katryna Silaco, commanding officer RDF-Nocturnal. To whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?”

Aside from drifting erratically in more-or-less the same spot, the ship did not budge.

Grand Admiral Granger of the Martian fleets around Hawking remained on the bridge as he eyed a screen over one of his subordinate’s shoulders. He was overall a gruff-looking man, a veteran of two separate wars, and often remarked by even the Admiralty as rather ruthless.

They called him the ’Dragon of Delta’ in reference to his bold strike on Rta; it ended the Colonial Wars, but brought about the complete destruction of the Rta region through coordinated nuclear strikes and orbital bombardment.

And now the man stood here, as quiet as ever as his grey and weary eyes watched messages on a screen in a dimly lit bridge. It would seem that the decorated officer would have one last battle to fight.

“I want every weapon we’ve got trained on this ship, and a full 360 on security with the auxiliaries. Last we need is anymore surprises, and I’ll be damned if I let a single one of these cooks escape in one piece, I hope I’ve made myself clear,’’ he rattled out as he stepped down the small stairwell to the centre of the room.

The Martian fleets had assembled themselves into large groups with the larger warships forming the spearheads flanked by smaller, more agile vessels facing different directions. As more ships reported in, careful work through the Valkyrie Array, the virtual battlespace used by the Martians, organised Hawking’s defence in what seemed like a buzzing of hornets.

Whether or not this was intentional was anyone’s guess, but there was some order with how the ships moved into position if not entirely obvious. Each shipmind was working overtime with the others through Valkyrie to make adjustments and run any number of scenarios on how they needed to be positioned for certain attacks.

Of course, it was then that they had also received the Sunsetti message. Or the Nematodes as Martians often referred to them as. Granger barked out an order to the shipmind of his ship, the MCN Gorgon to pull up a screen and so one did appear before him using a hologram.

‘’Grand Admiral Granger. I trust we can skip the pleasantries and bullshit and you can get to why you’ve risked your ship and crew in breaching our space. Admiral,’’ Granger said, his voice was always calm though he slightly sneered at the end of his greeting as his mouth spat out the woman’s title like it was rotten fruit.

‘’You’ve brought our nations incredibly close to an all out conflict. I don’t think that fact has eluded you, but I needed to be sure,’’ he followed.

“Hello, Grand Admiral Granger. Interesting that you claim it as your space at the moment we arrive, rather than doing us the courtesy of informing us at some previous date. It’s almost as though you want someone to stumble across such an interesting find and get themselves blown up for the curiosity. But since you asked… We detected a rather large power surge in the area and, owing to our own natural curiosity, decided to investigate. It looks as though you’ve come across a Penrose generator - somewhat old, from the looks of it,” she paused, a smirk passing across invisible lips as she lied her hind end off, “and you’ve managed to reactivate it too. A very momentous occasion…”

“...given you’ve summoned the Prime Minister all the way out here. Since all of you seem to be together still - and more arriving by the moment - it would seem that congratulations are in order.”

Athena had been working on a number of things as the warmind pieced together a fuller picture of what was going on. It had brought Trident online, and began following procedures for the Homeland Doctrine. It was finally the crucial moment. The warmind was unshackled at this point, having as much range and access to the Conglomerate's defence systems as it needed.

It established connection with Apophis, and awakened it. If Athena was the shield of the Conglomerate, Apophis was the spear and they both belonged to the same architecture. The Martian Spires that had been built so far had begun to spool up and rotate to face length-ways towards Hawking. The energy from their activation wouldn't go amiss with the Menelmacar or the Sunsetti, but the weapon system was coming to life. Its target was the Nocturnal.

// Target.Vessel.ID: 3401S(Standby_Mode)
// Diagnostics...
// Systems online...
// Apophis Defence Lances Online
// Increase.Power.Lance(50.5%)
// Diagnostics...
// All systems green
// Increase.Power.lance(100.00%)
// Diagnostics...
// All systems green
// Entering standby mode for authorisation...
// Authorisation granted
// Resource.Wormhole.Pull

As the spires spooled to their maximum, space began to distort before them, tearing open a wormhole for the lance to travel through. Hawking's gates would have begun to shift, directing themselves towards the Nocturnal's location as Martian ships began to space themselves away from the path of the lances if they fired. The gates were the lenses for Apophis and it was now staring directly at the Nocturnal. At last, a second wormhole began to form behind the spire. Automated wormholers had been given the orders by Athena to get into position around Apophis*, a neutron star nestled in the Nalarian Expanse. The namesake of Athena's 'evil twin'. As the ships lined up for each spire, they began to activate their wormhole devices to siphon stellar matter for the weapon when they were needed. The gun had been loaded.

Granger returned the woman’s smile for a mere moment, an entirely unnatural thing to see even for his crew. His eye never left a screen covering the commotion going on behind the fleet until he was sure they were ready. Now, if things got heated, he just had to hope their efforts actually paid off. And that none of the MCN got a nasty shave from it themselves.

“Well, astute as you are, it would seem that you’ve stumbled into a nest of angry hornets. Admiral. Save me the cockteasing and false-pleasantries. You’re interfering with our work, so if you want to talk, you better get to the point before I grow tired of that hideous thing you call a mouth and atomise it,’’ Granger said coldly as his eyes seemingly lingered on the end of that statement with an almost insatiable hunger.

“Mr. Granger, I would no more tease your cock than look at your ugly face,” Katryna replied, stepping over and tapping away at the console with a speed that rattled the poor helmsman. Clearly the Grand Admiral hadn’t read his briefing materials; if there was one thing guaranteed to piss off the Director it was the accusation that she would cheat on or even consider cheating on her husband.

“Now…” she prepared to press a final button but there was a cough from behind her and then the unmistakable tone of a mother’s disapproval; “Katryna…

Her fists clenched tight and she fought the urge to show them how meaningless their petty toys were until finally - finally - duty won out and she relaxed them, rubbing them on her pants until the color returned.

“...I will repeat myself because you seem to be incapable of normal human comprehension. We detected the energy surge from the generator and came to take a look. Since you seem to have not atomized yourself in the process, congratulations are in order. Congratulations. I would offer our considerable expertise in such things, but it appears you are not interested. Rest assured, Mr. Granger - the Republic is very interested in what occurs here and we are keeping a close eye on things. A. Very. Close. Eye.”

A sub-pane on the console popped up with a data stream and she watched it intently for a moment before flicking it off to the side where it populated out to fill the holo-sphere that sat between the forward display - and the Grand Admiral - and the command chairs. A string of stars - locations picked out on a projection of the galaxy - showed one to another in what would be recognized as an exact map of the Martian Spire network, including the neutron star itself.

“...interesting. A very advanced system. A neutron star that you intend to use as a weapon. I’ll be taking my leave now, Mr. Granger,” she finished, returning her hand to the panel she’d been rapidly typing at just a moment before. “Helm - take us out of here. Inform Admiral Woodstock that his services will not be necessary today.”

Spinning on its heel with shocking speed, the ship spat away from the station to disappear in an eyeblink. That left the Director still standing at the console, one hand finishing its work.

“I’ll be taking my leave,” she repeated aloud. “And your star…”

Granger made no expression as the Admiral disconnected and the Nocturnal made an exit. The hologram was cut on their end and the man turned and walked back towards his seat. ‘’Bring down the targeting, I want two frigates to tail that ship for the next lightyear. Get me in contact with Hawking Command and the Admiralty,’’ he ordered.

Apophis was slowly brought back offline in the wake of the incident, though the forces at Hawking remained in their positions long after the Nocturnal had left. For the moment, an uneasy calm had seemed to fall on Hawking.

In Laconia, much of the government had been evacuated to Poseidon Three after the Civil Defence alerts. The Senate had handed emergency powers over to the Prime Minister giving her and her cabinet certain authority not otherwise available. Heated discussions were had in the underground chambers within the bunker compound beneath the capital.

Despite calls by some of the warhawks to push to DEFCON 1, the PM’s Martian party and her more conservative allies within the cabinet held out strong. The Prime Minister was still stuck on Hawking for the time being, and after the intense discussions she was frustrated and cut the feed.

‘’Contact Ria Solomon, and someone get a damn communique to the Menelmacar before things get worse,’’ she demanded.

Martian Government Transmission // Encryption High // P2P QUANT NODE
Menelmacar Foreign Office

The Martian Conglomerate has elevated to Defence Readiness Condition (DEFCON) 2 following a significant and belligerent breach of a classified military station. Under these circumstances, until further intelligence had been gathered, the Conglomerate preemptively activated its Strategic Arms Command (STRATCOM) and Trident platforms within Sol.

The situation has since been resolved, and Trident will be brought back offline and its payload returned to their appropriate magazines. STRATCOM will further send reports about the activation and threats detected relating to this activation in accordance with the SOLSTART Treaty.

The Conglomerate invites Menelmacar observers to ensure that all platforms are brought offline and subsequent arms returned to their proper positions prior to the incident.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:22 am

Apophis
Martian Spire Network // Solarian Reaches // Kyushu Command Station

''Spire 402 is in position, performing diagnostics, standby guys,'' Eliza said as she began to type a few things out on the panel before her. The blue lights of the three screens that surrounded her illuminated her eyes and gave them a starry glint. She took a moment to glance at a small photo that had been taped to the corner of the centre-screen of her husband. Her lips pursed and her thumb fumbled with the ring on her finger until the diagnostics were complete.

''Alright, looks like we've got a ventilation error on the sub-deck of C. I'll go ahead and dispatch some engineering drones there to address it. There's some pressure variation on one of the fuel lines as well. Um... Grant, may need to check the routing there, likely just the system engaging for the first time with new pipes but we don't want a leak,'' she commented.

''Yep, yep. I got the readings as well, looks like it's in the side-corridor of the centre shaft. I'll head down and take a look and report back to ya,'' a male's voice cracked over the cybercomms.

Eliza sighed and leaned back in her chair with a creak before she swivelled around to grab her cup of soda. She drew on the straw with a loud crackling noise and fidgeted with it around the ice to get to the bottom. She was startled by the vent kicking on and nearly dropped her cup. ''Sweet air,'' she remarked as she wiped away the sticky sweat from her forehead and felt her skin turn to goosebumps with the fresh, frigid air.

''El, you there?'' Grant's voice came over the cybercomms. She closed her eyes and reclined in the chair and answered.

Grant had wedged himself against a few pipes using a wall bracket for support with his knee. He had a light shining on the fuel line that went down into the shaft. He adjusted his hardhat and stared into the deep, fog filled chasm. He pulled a safety line from his belt and fastened the clip to a large metal cable that was tethered to the wall for engineers working in the shaft and began his descent. ''Yep, I've got you, Grant. Everything okay?'' Eliza answered.

''For the moment yeah. Just letting you know I made it to the shaft, I'm two decks above the supposed leak, there's a lot of condensation in here. It's fogging the chasm,'' he noted with a grunt as he manoeuvred around a gap to another safety cable to attach to. ''It's cold as hell down here,'' he said with a shiver.

''Condensation there isn't good. Make sure you've got your respirator nearby and turn your suit thermos on,'' Eliza advised, ''I've got you on the shaft's sensors now, looks like you're still a good fifty meters from the line's breach. There's a shut-off valve five meters from that.''

''Can't help me out and do it remotely can ya?'' Grant said as he lowered himself carefully. The bags of gear attached to his belt dangled beneath him and he huffed and grunted on his descent as sweat welled up around his neck and face.

''Y'know the answer to that, everything's manual starting out. Regulations. Just be careful,'' she said.

''Don't worry 'bout me darling, I've been in this business for thirty years? I think... thirty yeah. I've got so much stubbornness in my blood I'd bounce if I fell,'' he chuckled, ''Yep, be... right as a daisy.''

''Very funny,'' Eliza responded unenthused.

A shiver overtook Grant for a moment before he reached down and clicked a button on his belt that activated the thermos. Data about the temperature of his suit and environment was then being streamed to his ocular implant. It was nearing freezing point outside his suit, but he could feel it beginning to warm up which made him sigh with some relief. The more he made his descent, the harder it became to see. Water was sticking to, and freezing on the pipes and his equipment.

''Bloody hell, the condensation down here. We may have a leak afterall, but I don't think it's the fuel line,'' Grant said as he stared down into the fog. ''Think a coolant line might be damaged, got ice now,'' he said as he pulled a small pick from his belt and began to chip away at the icy crust that had gathered on his safety line. His breath misted in front of his face and prompted him to take a look at the thermos again. -20 Celsius.

He stopped and pinned his knee in between the pipes and hoses and wrapped an arm around a bracket to support himself so he could pull up one of the bags he had dangling from his belt. He could feel his fingers going numb as he pulled the support line with one hand and attached it to the pulley on the belt. ''There we... go,'' he said to himself with a gasp before flipping a switch. The pulley began to roll the bag's line so it would come up to him and he wouldn't need to try and lift it manually. Loud clicking filled the chasm with its echo as the line slipped so often on the disk. Finally, the rope slipped off the pulley and the nearly thirty pound bag fell giving him a hard yank and nearly causing him to lose his grip. ''Fuck!'' he shouted.

There was a stinging pain that went up his back as the bag twirled and spun beneath him. The muscles in his waist and lower back throbbed now. He took a moment to breath and checked the thermos again. -27 Celsius. ''Okay, okay. Once more, once more,'' he said resetting the rope into the pulley. It began to pull the bag, and after a minute or so of waiting, the canvas container had finally made it back up to him. He pulled open the pouch and pulled out his helmet and flicked the straps out of the way so he could put it on. His breath quickly fogged the visor as he worked to lock it to his suit. At last, warm air could be felt coming up through the insulated collar into the helmet and he took an exasperated sigh of relief.

He continued his descent and finally reached the spot on the fuel line where the error had come through in Eliza's diagnostics. The line was fine, though he pulled out a scanner to check the thickness of the pipe and pressure flux to ensure it wasn't weak. He pulled up nothing. Quite a bit of ice had gathered just behind the pipe though and very carefully he began to scrape it away with a knife. The fuel line was in a bundle of about a dozen other cables, hoses, and pipes and he started to separate them to get a look at some behind the fuel line. When he finally managed to scrape away a large globule of ice, a huge amount of fog filled his face and caused him to lose his grip. He fell a few feet but was stopped suddenly by the safety line he had attached.

''Ahhhh.... shit!'' he winced and held his back. The muscles in his back had tightened now, but the sound of the hissing from above drew his attention away finally. A plume of white fog was spraying into the chasm now from where he had been. ''Eliza... It's not the fuel line. We've got a coolant leak, the line here ruptured it's freezing everything... everything else,'' he said as he scraped away some frost from his thermos' screen. ''-145 Celsius.. it's -145 Celsius in here. Any lower and the lines are going to freeze even with that insulation. You're going to need to cycle the reactor so we can get this repaired.''

''Alright, you doing okay, Grant?'' Eliza replied and asked.

''Yeah, I'm just going to need a damned good massage later. Fuck... Might as well wake up the others, we've got a long day ahead of us.''

Dennis leaned on the metal bench and ate his soup. It was early in the morning, at least according to the clocks. That mattered little in space, but everyone had their schedules. He leaned in and breathed in the steam from the bowl in front of him before taking a careful sip. A few stragglers were in the mess with him, some were watching television while others were like him and just waking up. One of the kitchen staff stopped by to deliver a cup of coffee which he took graciously and then quietly watched the woman that had deliver it walk back towards the kitchen. She was slim with purple-dyed hair and always had a smile while working.

Once she disappeared into the kitchen, he focused on his coffee by wrapping his hands around the warm cup. After he could feel his fingers again, he took a sip and slightly grimaced. It wasn't the best coffee out there, station coffee never was, but it was better than nothing. He went back to his soup thereafter and carefully sipped from it. The mess had only two ways in and out. A hallway lead out to the dorms, and a door behind Dennis led to the checkpoint for the hangar.

Voices filled the hallway along with several steps and the jingling of gear that tore Dennis away from his otherwise quiet breakfast. A bunch of men and women emerged from the corridor in their orange and black thermal envirosuits with their helmets and large duffle-bags clenched in their hands. They were all talking amongst themselves as they stopped by the counter to get some coffee from the mess. Dennis pulled back the sleeve of his coat and stared at his wrist watch: 3am.

''They're heading to Station 402,'' a gravelly man's voice said. Dennis turned to look at a gruff looking man with a long beard who was enjoying a cigarette and reclining in his chair.

''I take it something's going on?'' Dennis suggested, though the man just shrugged in return as he took a long drag on the smoke perched in the corner of his lips.

''Dunno. Just know a call came out to get 'em suited up. My buddy, Tarren, he's the blond fella there on the left,'' the man gestured, ''that's how I know.''

Dennis nodded and sipped from his coffee as he gave a cursory glance at Tarren who was busy chatting up one of the cooks as they were handing out coffees. ''Here about the big shake at Hawking?'' the man beside Dennis asked, though Dennis shook his head.

''Gotta get out more. Those wide-eyed Sunsetti fuckers dropped a ship there, had the whole navy up in a tiz. Cat's outta the bag though, they activated Apophis, gave them a what's for with our new toy,'' the man said with a toothy grin that exposed less than well-kempt teeth. ''They backed off. How I'd like to put a bullet in a sunny's head someday,'' the man followed, taking a moment to tap some ash into a cup that was resting on the table.

''If we're lucky it won't have to come to that,'' Dennis spoke up. The man gave him a bit of a frown and drew on his cigarette in the ensuing silence. He waved his hand about after ward as the smoke left his noise.

''Look. We're Martian, we're not going to let some barra-fuckers push us over like that, yeah? All the sunnies are good for is snobbing at people until the thassa comes knocking and then they run like the cunts they are,'' the man said. ''Great thing about this whole damn project. We're coming up, and they want to cross us, we'll see how they like it when we bite back. Anyway, my shift starts now. Enjoy your coffee,'' the man said as he tossed his cigarette aside and gathered his things. Dennis said nothing in return and watched the man leave before going back to his soup.

''How was the test, Director,'' the well-dressed man said in the hologram. Director Tetsuda was standing in front of the hologram with a clipboard as she wrote some things down and flipped through the pages. She and the man were alone in the room, and the call had only been going for a few minutes thus far.

''Well, other than tipping our hand at the neighbours about this project we're building, it went well. We had an issue with two of the spires... um... 115 and 271 but they weren't anything critical. We're still looking at other candidates besides the neutron star of Apophis to siphon energy from for the network's weapon array. I know STRATCOM has released a memo about wanting to push to buy some of the navy's stealth frigates and see about gate-conversions for them to better hide our energy sources,'' Tetsuda stated.

''They were going to learn of it regardless, Director. We've shown them what Martian determination can create, that's all that matters. The Board has been rather pleased with your work, Director. There'll be a promotion in this for you after the next quarter,'' the man said.

''Thank you, sir. Once 402 is in place, we can perform a live-fire test as planned. I received a list of possible targets, I'm thinking Hyacinth Prime would be the best, it's out of the way from any major traffic and the planet's abandoned colony would be good in determining its effectiveness,'' she noted.

''Very well, I'll take your consideration to the Board. In the meantime, continue preparations for the live-fire test. Keep me updated,'' the man said before the hologram closed.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Tale of Two Queens
Redstone Palace, Laconia, Martian Conglomerate
A scrawny young man hurriedly made his way through the corridor, a paper clutched in his hands as he weaved around those merely strolling along. His face was painted red and his lungs burned, perhaps there was such a thing as too large of a palace. It didn't help that he had been chosen to act as runner, a role he generally disliked, but the message within the parchment was grave. He knew this, for he had fashioned himself a glimpse of the writing. While not inherently forbidden, speaking of it would no doubt cost him his head, but he enjoyed the secret nonetheless.

He rounded a corner and then another. Each exhausting step brought him closer to the destination. The great halls of the Redstone Palace were ornate, a sight so few got to see, with their decorated stucco and trimmings of gold, large paintings and marble busts. Windows lined every hall and towered over even the greatest man to permit the sun to shine and radiate its warmth within them. But there was no time to marvel at these beautiful things; time was quickly running out, not for him, oh no, but for an empire under a siege that it didn't even know it was facing.

The runner had finally arrived before the vaulted doors. Two large, cast-iron and decorative barricades of nearly three-men in height towered over the runner like a titan. He stared for a brief moment before knocking. With creaking and echoing, the one door slid open to allow the man inside. ''Sovereign,'' the runner panted quickly stepping over and handing the letter to the woman who was barely dressed in little more than a porcelain silk robe.

He quickly stepped back and said nothing as she used her nails to open the document. Her butler approached the man with some water, though he waved it away and stood quietly instead. He could see her lips moving as she read over it and then she raised her head and looked out towards her garden which lied just beyond a window. A cherry-blossom was in full bloom, and the wind so gentle rustled its branches in the softest fashion.

She had clothes neatly folded on her bed: her typical white uniform and sabre including her rank as a member of the Order of the Red Stag. An order the runner himself was party to, though of a rank so insignificant compared to the most powerful woman in the Conglomerate. He watched as she placed the paper down on a silver platter and finally turned to face him. ''Thank you for this,'' she said with a smile, her radiant amber eyes piercing through him like a hawk. He felt a chill creep up his spine before taking a bow to the woman.

''You may go now, it seems I'll be having visitors. Gentry, I'll need to provide a royal welcome,'' she spoke over to her Butler who was busy in a corner room making what smelled like tea. The runner bowed once more, stepped backwards and eventually out the room before disappearing entirely from view. Sovereign Agatha glanced back at the letter which sat so nimbly on the platter, her lips pursed in a concerning glance before she looked out to the garden again. Gentry approached her with some tea, she refused and decided to get dressed.

Agatha's footsteps fell in the Grand Hall with a hollow echo. It was one of seven corridors connecting to the centre palace where she, herself, lived. It was also the only one without any stragglers, being preserved strictly for her use. Gentry followed quietly behind carrying a tray with refreshments, though he said nothing as he peaked through his weary eyes, he occasionally wiggled his moustache in response to comments by the Sovereign.

He knew she was never addressing him. She walked very briskly, leaking information about the inner-most thoughts of her mind here or there. She seemed shaken, and while she had refused tea now three times, Gentry made note to ask once every hour as was customary. Whatever the letter contained was of no importance to Gentry, but it seemed to have struck the very core of the Sovereign. They passed an area of the corridor where sofas lined a circular room. Agatha stopped and stared out the windows behind them.

''My mother planted that tree,'' Agatha remarked. Gentry stopped just beside her, still holding his tray as his tired eyes stared with her at a large white oak. Its leaves had long since departed, having lost its battle with some illness many years ago. It was the centre-piece of a large garden of flowers and bushes, and encircled by a stone pathway. The tree had to stand at least three stories and Gentry could recall when it overshadowed the entire courtyard.

''It was some sort of hybrid she had been working on. It grew so fast. She never got to see how beautiful it was...'' she said quietly.

''It still is beautiful, Madame Sovereign,'' Gentry said in return. Agatha turned to Gentry and smiled softly, her hardened gaze had diminished to little more than a whimpering lamp glow trying to survive on what little fuel it had left.

''I forget you served my parents as well, Gentry,'' she noted, ''Even still, it's a hollow sort of beauty. The tree died years ago.''

''Very unfortunate, but it never lost its glimmer. It only changed, as things do,'' he remarked. Agatha smirked and took in a breath before carrying on with Gentry in tow.

Rowan stepped up the black steps, each footfall seemingly heavier than the last. The palace was so quiet, with only the sounds of birds on the air as they chirped away. Thirty steps, she had counted. Thirty. She came to the top of the stairs and stood before two guards that did not budge. Their statuesque demeanour seemed to drive a cold stake into her chest as she approached the obsidian doors. They were pulled open before she had reached them by men hidden on the otherside, and she stepped forward into the dimly lit room.

It seemed far more cosy in the chamber than its exterior would lead one to believe. Volcanic rock decorated the pillars inside with dark, stained wooden floors and rugs that stretched as far as one could see. Books lined every wall, and a large set of globes littered a table with charts. Rowan walked over and ran her hand over one of them she could see in the corner the signature of the document. They were explorer charts done by Reylan, her husband.

''I figured you wouldn't mind a more familiar location,'' a womanly voice said from the shadows. Rowan did not move as her eyes looked over every ornate detail he had drawn and written down. The mysterious figure stepped forward and stood by the Empress' side. ''My brother was obsessed with these things,'' the woman said.

''You should see our home,'' Rowan smiled faintly, ''I had to get a library for him.'' At last the two turned and looked at each other, Agatha was wearing her typical white uniform whereas Rowan had come dressed in her furs and black clothing. ''It's good to see you,'' Rowan said. They hugged and for a moment the world seemed quiet.

''I received word today about what happened, I'm sorry,'' Agatha stated.

''The Fyrd has grown quite unhappy with the dealings of our nations, fleeing was the only course I had,'' Rowan remarked.

''Well, I'm glad you came, you're welcome on Mars anytime. In the meantime, I still have to consider your request, so I suggest you make yourself at home,'' Agatha said.

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:16 am

Sovereign

There came a crisp knock at the door that drew the attention of those present in the room. Gentry had just sat down a silver tray with a teapot and china that was meticulously organised. Silver spoons and forks had been set out by size, two small saucers held their cups neatly in place, and a small bowl with sugar cubes had been set aside to be used at the pleasure of their guest.

Gentry placed another, smaller tray beside it that held fresh biscuits of assorted flavour. Chocolate was Agatha's favourite, and so two stacks of the confectionery had been provided instead of the typical one. Finally, at the behest of the Sovereign he was permitted to answer that knock and so he did with mere silence. Prime Minister Cora had been patiently waiting on the other side of the mahogany doors with the two Sovereign Guard standing at attention on either side of the entrance.

The handle to the door was loud and bellowed its sound down the marble corridor that the Prime Minister was standing in. She saw the face of Gentry, stoic as ever, as he politely bowed and gestured for her to enter. His white gloves firmly held the door in place for her as she stepped inside and was relieved of her coat by the butler who quickly deposited it on the coat-rack and then promptly headed for the corner of the room. It was customary that he remain out of sight, and out of mind.

The Prime Minister bowed to the Sovereign who was standing at the side of a small sofa decorated in floral patterns. It was part of a set of furniture in the room all centred around the coffee table. A crystal chandelier hung above them, and tall slim windows made up one wall of the room which allowed the sunlight to fill in the space. Agatha took a seat on the sofa and gently crossed her legs as she offered the chair opposite of her to the Prime Minister.

''Please, have a seat, Prime Minister,'' the woman politely said. Agatha was shorter than Cora, and wore a simple green dress with brown gloves that snugly fitted her delicate hands. Unlike Cora, she was remarkably pale with silver hair which was neatly swept along one side of her face and extended down to her jaw. Her face was absent of any blemish and angular in shape with sharp features. Two prominent amber eyes, a mutation for some of the Martians, stared at everything with a passive sternness.

Cora likened her gaze to an owl. The Prime Minister could not have been more different in return with olive skin, black hair tied up in a bun, and brown eyes. Her face had the first signs of some wrinkles from the stress of her job and it looked as though the woman had not enjoyed a good night's rest in months. Despite this, she looked more like a business-woman than an ordinary politician in her red knee-length skirt, black blouse, and her red blazer though it hung on the coat-rack behind her.

Cora took her place and sat her purse aside as Agatha handled the teapot. ''It's a lovely room,'' the Prime Minister remarked as she looked around. A rug with more floral patterns and a large eagle sat beneath them. Paintings adorned the walls with beautiful scenery of Earth and a few of Agatha's ancestors. The Prime Minister understandably smiled at one in particular that she recognised; Agatha's childhood pet dog 'Toto' which had long since passed. Toto was a grey Scottish Terrier and held what looked to be a bone in its mouth in the portrait.

Small tables sat in the corners with white flower vases filled with roses and lilies. Other tables had busts, one of Toto again, and another of Sovereign Fredric II who was responsible for the construction of this wing in the palace. He shared some of the features of Agatha, noticeably having that same sort of passive gaze. There was a sense of respect as she looked about the room, and perhaps some envy though she seemed overall humbled by what she saw. Never could she have imagined that her of all people would be sitting in this room enjoying biscuits and tea with the Sovereign.

''Are you quite alright, Cora?'' Agatha said, presenting a cup of tea and saucer to the Prime Minister who had been lost in her thoughts. Cora blinked at the Sovereign and took the cup. ''You're smiling like a madwoman.''

''I'm sorry, my Sovereign. Just some things on my mind, I meant no disrespect,'' Cora said as she felt her face burn. She rested the saucer and cup on her knees and took a gentle sip of the drink. It was rich and unlike any other tea she had before. Though, she knew it was missing something and carefully placed two sugar cubes into the elixir.

''Clearly not anything bad with a grin like that,'' Agatha delightfully spoke with a smile in return. It was an honest smile, one where it looked as though a person's eyes were also smiling. It took the Prime Minister by surprise, as it was not something she nor anyone else would have ever been accustomed to. Agatha was not one for public appearances but even still, the few times she had been out in public, she never exhibited such a smile. It was always more of a forced formality.

''Can I be honest with you?'' Cora asked as she sat her china on the table in front of her and scooted to the edge of her seat. The Sovereign tilted her head at the question and merely blinked more slowly with a raise of a brow. ''I was born in Megara, small city on the outskirts of Toscana. To a poor family. Small moments like these are really what makes my job seem meaningful, and it's not a job I though I would ever have,'' Cora said with a big grin though she fidgeted with her hands as she spoke.

Agatha nodded as she continued to prepare her own cup of tea. It was then that Cora realised she had taken a drink before the Sovereign and broke protocol much to her embarrassment. Yet, Agatha had made no note of it nor did she seem to mind. She poured some milk in her tea, followed it with a few sugar cubes and briskly stirred the concoction until it was a smooth brown. At last, she took a moment to savour her cup before setting it down.

Cora felt stiff as a board in her presence, every movement was so rigid and forced but the Sovereign was quite the opposite. Every action she took was done with determination and deliberate. Not even a tremor could be detected in her pale hands. Cora realised that the Sovereign had removed her gloves at some point in the conversation, meaning that she had lost sometime in her daydreaming earlier. That being said, she couldn't help but notice the absence of a ring. They were both the same age, thirty-three, but Cora had already been married once.

Examining the Sovereign's personal affairs was not allowed by the press since she was entitled to privacy but it had dawned on the Prime Minister that it had never been mentioned. Though, she wasn't about to ask, not only would it feel improper but it was also against protocol and she had already broken one so far. ''Well, you've been honest with me. I can be honest with you...'' Cora snapped back to reality at Agatha's words giving the Sovereign an inquisitive glance.

''I used to receive letters in the mail from children across the nation talking about how they looked up to me, or one day wanted to be a 'Princess' or 'King.' It's one of those things when you're growing up -- how people want to be astronauts or policemen. Yet, I never wanted this role,'' Agatha said candidly as she took another sip of her tea.

''It's a very solemn and lonely duty. If I had a crown, I'm sure it'd feel like it was crushing me. At the same time, there's never a moment of peace. I could be alone in a room but there's always an army of staff on standby for whatever I may need. Had my sister not died, I would never have had to worry about any of this. But we both have our roles,'' the Sovereign said as she sat her cup down and re-adjusted her dress before finally standing. Cora stood quickly though she was still processing the Sovereign's words. A look of surprise was plastered on the Prime Minister's face. ''Walk with me,'' Agatha said as she headed toward the windows.

Cora hadn't noticed the handles until now when the Sovereign used them. The windows slid along a rail and Agatha stepped out onto a small patio which faced a garden and a large tree in the centre. Cora had followed behind her as the two meandered into the hidden oasis that was surrounded by the palace on all sides. ''Yngvildr's Tree,'' Cora spoke.

''You know of it?'' Agatha said surprised as she stopped next to a large root and stared at the dead thing. The tree was tall and though it looked normal from the ground up, the branches above the trunk were twisted and contorted in various fashions. It was, if nothing else, a tragic mockery of the woman who had planted it. Cora had finally stepped beside her and the two stared quietly.

''I read about it years ago. It had a mutation that allowed it to grow extremely fast. It was planted by your mother, at least, that's what the books say,'' Cora answered as she felt a stiff chill from a breeze. Gentry was not far behind with her blazer though, and offered it to her. She slipped it on and shook off the cold.

''The books are right, she planted it when I was little. Shame it didn't grow fast enough, though I don't imagine she would have noticed if it had,'' Agatha said almost scornfully. Cora remembered Yngvildr's illness, she had gotten cybersclerosis and deteriorated in her later years. It was a dark time for the nation, and how Agatha's predecessor earned the moniker 'the Mad'.

Agatha began to slowly walk along the circular stone pathway that went around the garden. Cora followed as she observed the many bushes and flower boxes that lined the garden. A few flowers were still in bloom though most had gone at the onset of winter. ''You're familiar with the mess that is our government, Cora?'' Agatha asked unexpectedly.

''I am. Yes,'' the Prime Minister answered as she remained just a step behind the Sovereign. She stopped though when she saw a beautiful small flower that was white and with silvery edges. Gentry had stopped behind her, and Agatha had walked a few more steps before realising that she was no longer being accompanied.

''Blood of Mars, it's a type of martian lily. Careful, don't touch it,'' Agatha spoke as she rejoined the Prime Minister. Cora could smell the faintest hint of what seemed like honey. It was a remarkably beautiful flower, and the only one alive in the flower box.

''Blood of Mars? Is it poisonous?''

''Very. If you look closely you can see there's a sort of sap along the silver edge, it reacts with chemicals inside of the petals to produce a toxin. It's a morbid thing, really. The toxin will kill most animals and the sap contains fertilised seeds. It only grows where something has died or there is decaying matter,'' Agatha spoke, though she followed with more info, ''It only blooms during the winter, though typically at night. With it being cloudy and in the shade, I think it has lost track of time.''

''Would it harm a human?'' Cora asked as she stood up once again to face Agatha.

''It'd make you severely sick,'' Agatha answered before gesturing her to follow. They continued down the path for a bit before the Sovereign spoke again, her voice seemed more solemn than usual. ''We need reforms, Prime Minister. We cannot continue on the path we are on, our government has only barely worked this long largely because people say it does. We're fighting a war now against these Nyteborne, and you're dealing with a hostile Senate that has long enjoyed their positions of power for quite sometime. None of them are my people nor yours, all plants by my mother and grandfather,'' Agatha said as she stopped and pulled a leaf from a bush.

She ran her thumb over the fuzzy underside as she drew quiet for a few moments. ''I cannot push any reforms through the Senate, as you said, they're hostile and I don't even hold a majority there. I'm unsure what reforms you would mean,'' Cora spoke.

''We're an empire in all but name. Without some major changes, our life expectancy will remain questionable. Our forefathers refused to reform, instead they just piled on institution after institution in the hopes that it would somehow just work. Fredric I, my great-grandfather, believed that the Sovereign's role in the Republic was to direct it. Give it a gentle nudge in the right direction. That was the philosophy of what people call Fredricanism. Yet, the Senate today is little more than an aristocracy,'' Agatha said as she tore the leaf in half with the nail of her thumb and rolled it between her fingers.

''What are you suggesting?''

''You enjoy majority support in Congress. I can dissolve the Senate temporarily, which means that they cannot veto any legislation you push in the lower chamber. It's time to stop pretending that we're something we're not, and establish a new government. If you want to do something meaningful, Cora, and I ask this as a friend -- this is your chance. We will still need some of the Republic's institutions to govern our territories, but the Senate must be removed and we must finally sit down and draft a new government and constitution,'' Agatha answered drawing an almost aghast look from the Prime Minister.

''You know the Senators will see this as a coup, it could lead to a civil war. I mean, what, with all due respect. What all are you expecting to change? Are we becoming a despotic regime? I mean no offence,'' Cora asked in rapid fashion.

''You will maintain your position as Prime Minister, Cora. And serve the remainder of your term and still be eligible for re-election. I've no intention on changing much about our democratic process in the lower chamber. The public's opinion is still important to me, and I enjoy high support among the colonies. The Senate is a roadblock to reforms and always has been. We need concise checks and balances. We need definitive precedents and laws. We're too large as a nation to function the way we have been. It's a miracle we haven't imploded. The Laconian Republic is the main concern in regards to civil war, the Senate is expected to meet soon as is. I expect to make a decree of dissolution of the Senate, and solidify my role as Empress. Those that refuse to dissolve can be forcibly removed, if we act quickly we can stifle their attempts to resist,'' Agatha said as she blew the crumbled leaf from the palm of her hand.

''You would need to make an announcement to Congress. Their support and role as leaders of our constituents is paramount to that success, Agatha. Without public backing, there's no chance this works and you risk weakening the Sovereignty and emboldening the Senate. There's also a matter of international relations -- it'll weaken legitimacy without careful negotiations,'' Cora stated.

''And that's where you come in, Cora. Rally support, the choice is up to you. If you love your country and people, then this task will be necessary,'' Agatha spoke.

''I'll think about it.''

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:39 am

Titan's Shadow

Nerys Harlow, Grand Admiral of the Gamman Armada, and Supreme Commander of the Martian forces during their ongoing war with the Nyteborne. She had risen the ranks in the MCN having joined when she was eighteen. She lost her hearing at the Battle of New Salamis when she was twenty-seven. By then she had already become Colonel, and served under Grand Admiral Dennis Garrow. Garrow died in the same battle, and Nerys' actions during the fight earned her a promotion.

Since Grand Admirals were no longer required in the field, she avoided a medical discharge. She proved valuable in the pacification of the Gamma territories during the Colonial Wars. Now she spent the majority of her time at Hawking, coordinating fleets and creating strategy that could be used against their newest foe. And it would be where she would prefer to stay had she not received a summons by the Sovereign.

The commander was dressed in a tan military uniform with bloused pants and a form-fitting jacket. The jacket was decorated with black epaulettes that showed an orange stripe and five white stars down the length of them, including an orange and black fourragère that hung from her left shoulder. Her jet black hair was tucked under a red beret that was tilted to the left and bore the insignia of the MCN. She stood quietly in a short hall, with her arms behind her back as she admired a painting. She had been in Laconia for only a few hours and was quickly shuttled to the palace.

Nerys received a tap on her shoulder which drew her attention from the large portrait she had been studying. She glimpsed Gentry from the side of her vision as he gestured for her to follow. She straightened her uniform and stepped behind him as he led her into a side office. The pair were met by a formally dressed Sovereign who had been patiently awaiting their arrival. Nerys clacked her boots and gave Agatha a salute before she was allowed to return to an at-rest position.

''Supreme Commander, thank you for answering my summons. I understand you can read lips, is that correct?'' asked Agatha as she stepped forward to carefully study the woman. Nerys stood just a bit shorter than Agatha, and the maintenance she performed on her uniform was nothing short than impressive. Agatha grinned knowing there probably wasn't even a strand of thread out of place. Her conclusion was that the military and Nerys could not be told apart, having merged into one another a long time ago. Every movement came as natural to the commander as breathing, and was so ingrained in her character that it would seem uncomfortable if she was anything else but formal.

Nerys spoke with a gentle but stern tone, she had a voice that wasn't very high-pitched and flowed evenly across the syllables, ''That is correct, my Sovereign.'' Her control of speech was something of a surprise to Agatha. Not often were the deaf able to speak so clearly, but Nerys had also lost her hearing well into her twenties.

''Then you've read the letter I dispatched,'' Agatha said as she leaned over to pick up some sort of confectionery from a bowl that sat on the desk behind her. She then offered the small bowl to the commander, but Nerys politely refused. ''I have read it, we've currently twenty two fleets in the Reaches. Three-point-two million marines as well. Enough provisions to last us about six months just based off of what inventory we have readily available. Munition wise, we've more than plenty to let us hold out a year. Except you want this to be a speedy process, which I can guarantee,'' Nerys said as she followed the Sovereign with her eyes.

Agatha walked around the desk and opened a drawer, she was holding a half-eaten biscuit in her hand. She tossed a folder down on the edge which Nerys stepped forward to take. ''I had the SIS gather intel on the Senators that could be the most troublesome. It's funny that paper these days is the best method in maintaining some secrecy,'' the Sovereign spoke. She gestured with her hands while speaking, waving around the biscuit she had been snacking on.

''D'you really expect there to be a civil war?'' Nerys asked as she swallowed and opened the folder to peer at the contents. It contained dossiers on a number of officials, their corporate allies, ships, photos and other information. The Sovereign Intelligence Service had done their due diligence and been thorough with every detail. Nerys tucked the folder under her arm as the Sovereign returned to her side of the desk.

''My goal is to prevent one, or end it just as quickly as it started. The Prime Minister has been made aware, and only a select few others. I'm keeping the details of this under wraps, Nerys,'' Agatha sternly stated as she levelled her amber eyes on the commander.

''I understand, when are we initiating this?'' Nerys asked, she needed to get forces into position if this was meant to go down with few problems.

''The Senate will convene soon. I'm going to dissolve the chamber, it'll be up to the Prime Minister to push my emergency bill through the lower chamber. Without a veto, the Senate can't stop it from passing. Your role is to ensure that Laconia is locked down. And Nerys, I don't want bloodshed if it can be avoided. Detain them, if they resist, then use your discretion. Any revolt by the Senate needs to be handled quickly. We need trials, not graves,'' Agatha said.

''I understand.''

Lady Scylla
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lady Scylla » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:10 am

Zero Day

''What is the meaning of this!?'' the woman shouted, tossing her hands up. The marines didn't seem at all enthused about the process, least of all the sergeant in charge of the checkpoint and who was dealing with the mob as his subordinates stood behind him. He let his rifle dangle from the strap as he held a hand out to stop her from moving forward.

''Ma'am, I assure you this is for your safety.''

''Like hell it is. Don't you fuckin' touch me! You have any idea how many times we've seen you thugs on the streets?'' the woman continued to rattle before stamping her feet. Abuse continued to be hurled from the crowd behind the woman. A man stepped forward with his son in tow and held his hands out to show the sergeant that he didn't mean any harm.

''Sergeant, you must understand. I've got to get my kid to school, there's people here who need to get to work. Yet there's barricades going up all over the city,'' he tried to reason. The sergeant sighed and curled his lips before turning back towards his men. They were still moving fencing into place while others offloaded the pieces from a truck that had parked on the sidewalk.

The sergeant rested a hand on the receiver of his rifle and sighed, ''Unfortunately, I have my orders ladies and gentlemen. Please, for the sake of peace calm down. You'll be let through provided you submit to security screening.''

The crowd grew louder at his words and a rock pelted one of the marines in the head. It bounced off his helmet but drew a piercing glance from him as he glared towards the mob. ''Fuck's sake, let us through!'' one man rebuked.

The sergeant cautioned his men with a hand as a few more things were thrown. They were wearing body armour, so beyond some hurt pride it was unlikely they'd be hurt. Now he just had to tamp down their tempers while they worked. ''As I said, form an orderly line along this way and we'll get you through as fast as we can. We don't want to be here anymore than you folks do.''

''How is the overall process going Grand Admiral?'' Agatha asked as she slid unto her sofa with a cup of tea. She tendered the drink with a sip before focusing on the screen before her. Nerys could be seen in a hurriedly put together command HQ somewhere else in the city. Her subordinates were moving about and coordinating with MCN marines via radio transmissions.

Nerys flipped through some papers on a clipboard, she had a headset on but it was plugged directly into the back of her neck. ''About as well as can be expected, Sovereign. We're moving ships into Sol -- the Menelmacari had already allowed us to deploy beyond the treaty at the onset of the war so nothing will seem amiss. Troops have begun landing, and there's roadblocks and checkpoints being set up across Laconia

''I do have to say that despite the frustration it's caused among the public at some of these sites -- things seem to be going well.''

Agatha made herself comfortable by resting an arm on the sofa and setting her tea in her lap. ''And the list?'' she asked.

Nerys sat the clipboard down for a moment as an officer approached with a different one for her to sign. She looked through it, signed it, and then handed it off. ''SIS and the MCNIS are both keeping tabs on the people you suggested. Senator Larcan did book a shuttle to visit with family in Nalar. According to Naval Intelligence, he has relatives that moved there recently. The Marshals are keeping tabs on him thanks to a favour with the State Department.''

''I see,'' the Sovereign pondered aloud as she sipped from her cup before setting it down on the coffee table. ''And there's no suspicions?''

''Negative. We've been monitoring channels. The ruse of defence preparations for a potential attack has been pretty solid,'' Nerys responded promptly before having her attention drawn to someone that had called out to her.

''Keep me posted.''

''I will, Sovereign,'' Nerys said as she disappeared off screen and the call terminated.

''What's the situation,'' Nerys requested as she stepped in between two lieutenants who were working with a communications operator and watching a screen. The one lieutenant, a stout woman, turned and saluted before explaining.

''We've a crowd growing at one of our barricades. They've already started throwing things at the marines stationed there. That itself isn't out of the ordinary, but one did just try to ram it with a car, Commander,'' the woman spoke quickly. Nerys nodded and tapped the comms operator. The man pulled his headset off and seemed startled to find the supreme commander standing over him like a bird of prey.

''Lucas, has anyone been injured?'' Nerys demanded.

The man shook his head, ''Shots were fired by the marines. They shot out the engine block of the vehicle and pulled the guy from the driver seat. It sent the crowd into a panic so they're requesting backup currently, Ma'am.''

Nerys gave him a pat on the shoulder and looked to the two lieutenants. ''Grace,'' she said to the stout woman, ''I know you're on battalion duty, but I'm going to need you to head down there.

''You two! Come here, escort Lieutenant Grace to the site Lucas gives you. RoE only, got it? Grace, I'm giving you some of my bodyguard but you need to take control of the situation. Coordinate with the checkpoint sergeant and if you have any problems, let me know.''

POP-POP-POP The shots sent the crowd running in a frenzy as the mob tried to get away from the car. Just minutes before they had been cheering the guy on when he was revving up to ram the barricade, shouting over the troops who were urging him not too. They had given their warnings. The car had sprung to life and several rounds from one of the miniguns on top of a truck had left the thing a smoking mess.

Sergeant Bletchley had his rifle up and was shouting as his veins pulsed in his face. Several marines moved around the car as the mob dispersed or hit the ground. Oil was splattered across the window and the glass had nearly shattered. The hood was practically unrecognisable having warped at the impacts of the rounds. It was a small burst but enough to tear through the engine block like a hot knife through butter.

''Show me your hands! Show me your fucking hands! I said show your hands god dammit!'' the marines spat as some pulled the bloody man through the driver-side window. He was a large guy about average height. In total, a dozen marines had swarmed the vehicle with their guns on him. The engine in the car had begun to burn leaving a foul smell in the air. Smoke billowed in a large column that was caught by the wind and swept down over the mob. Two marines grabbed the man by his shirt and dragged him across the pavement causing his shorts to slip by his ankles.

''Stay on the fucking ground!'' they kept shouting as Bletchley moved around to check the car. Corporal Gatwick had popped the boot for him and Bletchley was rather glad he had. A full tank of gasoline and a shotgun was sitting inside with a spare tire. Gatwick and the sergeant moved them out and checked the backseats for anything else to either identify the man or that could explode in the fire.

After searching under the seat, Gatwick gave the all-clear and handed an ID to the sergeant. ''Jason Grimson, 34, lives at 2192 St. Pauline's Boulevard. Gatwick, let HQ know and see if we can't get a run on that place,'' Bletchley said as he pocketed the ID. A horn drew his attention as a large fully-armoured eight-wheeler came through the smoke slowly. The sound of rocks could be heard hitting the side of it from the crowd somewhere on the other side of the black cloud. He motioned with a hand to direct the truck to the side.

''We need a medic!'' one of the marines called out. Bletchley came around the burning car where they had the man on the ground. He was startled to see three of them trying to hold cloth down on the guy's stomach.

The sergeant keyed his radio as he looked towards the smoke and saw the crowd had reorganised and was approaching again, this time with things like chairs and pipes. ''Break-Break! Skylar 1-1 Actual to Hercules, Over.'' He raised his gun as some other marines had left the barricade to help.

''Hercules, Skylar 1-1. Go ahead. Over.''

''Hercules, We've got a 10-26 at the intersection of Brownwood and Clemens. 34 year old male. Gunshot wound to the abdomen. Over,'' Bletchley keyed in as he waved at his men. One of the medics had arrived and quickly they began to drag the man towards the barricade. ''Stop! Stop! Do not continue or we will fire!''

''Skylar 1-1, we're dispatching a bird to your position. Do you require any additional assistance, over.''

The mob had made it to the car as Bletchley and the other marines began taking steps backwards but remaining between the dragged man and the crowd. The trail of blood caused one of the troops to slip as others scrambled to get him up. They kept shouting for the group to stop but they had already begun throwing things. Rocks pelted the fence and the marines, and a brick cracked one in the head and sent him to the ground. The sound was sickening as Bletchley moved to the marine's side and grabbed him by the arm.

''Skylar 1-1, How copy?''

Bletchley spotted the shotgun he had left behind the car in the hands of a shirtless man that was waving it at them. The man pumped it, and a flash followed near Bletchley's face. The sergeant fell backwards as the world went silent except for a loud ringing. When he looked up, he saw the shirtless man lying on the ground as another tried for the shotgun but was hit by a round and fell into the burning car.

''Hold your fire! Hold your fucking fire!'' the sergeant shouted as he scrambled to his feet and started waving his arms at his men. The smoke had begun to swirl around them as the low drum of a helicopter could be heard overhead.

''Skyler 1-1, Victor 2 is at your position and reporting low visibility, over.''

They had finally pulled the injured man behind the barricade but the medic had stopped working on him. Flares were lit behind the obstruction to signal the helicopter which pressed forward to try and get away from the smoke. For the moment, the crowd had dispersed leaving behind two people with one burning on the hood of the car.

Bletchley was resting on the back step of the eight-wheeler as another truck pulled up. He was pulling water down his neck and wiping dirt and soot from his face with a rag. Four covered bodies sat just feet away. ''Sergeant Bletchley,'' a woman said, ''your ear is bleeding, Sergeant.''

The sergeant looked up to see Lt. Grace standing there. Strands of her blonde hair were blowing in her face from the wind. The sergeant felt his ear and looked at his hand, and sure enough there was blood as he rubbed it between his thumb and index finger. ''What can I do for you, Lieutenant?''

It was evening now, and the sun was quickly disappearing behind the skyline. Spotlights had been turned on around the barricade which had become more of a camp with tents and trucks. Smoke continued to billow from the other side and the occasional shouts and sounds of something hitting the fences and metal walls were about the only sounds. ''I'm here at the request of Supreme Commander Harlow. I was informed that there were no injuries but I am staring at four bodies, Sergeant,'' Grace scrutinised.

''Aye, Lieutenant. Apparently the desk jockeys need better intel,'' Bletchley spoke as he slipped his helmet on and slid off the truck.

He walked towards the bodies and pointed at the one, ''This one tried to ram the barricade. My men fired on the vehicle. No casualties were reported by Gatwick at the start because we were unaware he was injured beyond some whiplash. He had a shotgun in the boot of the car, which is the other two next to him and the smell. They went for the gun. The last one is Corporal Gerry Veskov, one of mine. He got hit in the head from a brick, medics said he likely died immediately. Just dumb luck.

''So what I can I do for the jockey, Lieutenant?'' Bletchley glowered.

The lieutenant stiffened at the remark and the sound of her blood pressure rising could've been heard by the dead. ''Sergeant, I'm here to supervise the situation. If you want to give me problems then I --''

Bletchley cut her off with his gravelly tone, ''You'll what? I'm the only reason there's just four bodies and not more. You want to talk to someone without problems, Lieutenant. Then go ahead,'' he pointed at the bodies before walking away.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents