NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] What To Do If It All Went To Hell?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

[ABANDONED] What To Do If It All Went To Hell?

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:38 pm

So, I am finally returning to some of my drafts, starting with this one that I had written on my alt The Blackcat Isles. I've written this current draft in light of the feedback I received in the original thread, but wanted to continue drafting it on my main nation. I've changed the premise to be something less dramatic and hopefully more humorous, so I would love to hear what people think about it! The same goes for the options and outcomes, do they work or is there something I should add or remove? Let me know!

First Draft

[TITLE] What To Do If It All Went To Hell?

[VALIDITY] Must not have banned elections

[DESCRIPTION] For the cabinet's weekly movie night, it was decided upon that the first few episodes of the popular series Appointed Survivor would be put on for everyone's amusement. During the scene where the United Federation's Capitol was blown up in a terrorist attack, one of the popcorn-munching aides asked if @@NATION@@ had a contingency plan in place should such a thing ever happen to your government. The ensuing uncomfortable silence and lack of an answer, led to an impromptu cabinet meeting being held amidst half-empty soda cans and the cracking of crisps.

[OPTION 1] "So, we're all familiar with this 'designated survivor' scheme other nations use, right?" begins your Minister of Interior @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, trying to impress everyone by throwing a popcorn in the air and catching it with @@HIS_1@@ mouth. When no applause ensues, @@HE_1@@ continues. "We should improve upon that idea and instead always have a team of 'designated survivors' - plural - hidden somewhere safe. That way the burden won't fall on the shoulders of one person, but can be carried by multiple. Neat idea, eh?"

[EFFECT 1] the amount of cabinet members calling in sick always mysteriously skyrockets whenever there is a big government event

[OPTION 2] "You want frightened civilians taking on the burden of leadership during a time of national crisis?!" barks Minister of Defense and former General @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, snatching the popcorn bag from @@RANDOMNAME_1@@'s hands, mumbling something about @@HIS_2@@ colleague's 'increasing softness'. "Forget these designated whatevers, we need the army to step in if anything happens to your sorry as-err, I mean, pitiable behinds! We'll prepare the highest ranking officers to assume control of all state affairs - temporarily of course - should @@NAME@@'s government find itself wiped out. I'm sure the military will willingly hand back power once order and stability are restored."

[EFFECT 2] high-ranking military officers oddly enough have started cheering on terrorist groups targeting the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ government

[OPTION 3] "Oh, how inconspicuous both of those ideas sound..." scoffs a @@MAN@@ sitting in the corner, obscured by shadows. You recognize the voice to be that of the enigmatic Minister of [CLASSIFIED]. "@@LEADER@@, what we need here is less visibility. You know how those tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorists always talk about the 'deep state'? What if we actually did form a secretive shadow council of highly influential and wealthy individuals that would manipulate all affairs of state, unseen and unheard? That way, if the government ever was wiped out in its entirety, @@NAME@@ would never be without guidance from the shadows. Plus, we'd be able to ensure our citizens would always vote for the right candidate..."

[EFFECT 3] the shadows in @@NAME@@ have taken on a much darker shade

[Option 4] "Does no one here realize that WE CAN BE ATTACKED AT ANY MOMENT?!" screams your overworked Minister of Intelligence, having just finished @@HIS_3@@ fifth Eckie-Ecola in a row. "While we sit here debating about 'what ifs', radicals, terrorists and those damn lizards in human-flesh suits are preparing dozens, no, HUNDREDS of sinister plots against us! No, no, no, @@LEADER@@, you alone need to take charge RIGHT NOW! Hear me out on this: you'll declare a state of emergency for indefinite duration, then we'll hide you in a deep, deep, DEEP bunker so no one can ever find you and you won't hand back power until all our enemies are destroyed!" the minister rolls up into a foetus position, rocking back and forth. "All of them..."

[Effect 4] @@LEADER@@ is nowhere to be seen, but their presence can be felt everywhere
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:27 am

What the fudge is a designated survivour?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:15 am

Australian rePublic wrote:What the fudge is a designated survivour?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_survivor

I believe most people will be familiar with the concept, especially viewing how the series of the same namesake was fairly popular.

Hence why the series featured in this draft's premise is called Appointed Survivor, a nod to the original series Designated Survivor.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 pm

I recall the original thread -- its good that you've dropped the terrorist attack.

Also this was submitted in 2018:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=445894

I thought it was pretty good, but another editor at the time must have rejected it, because it's buried in the deleted issues pile. I'm actually going to pop it back into the Yes Pool now, having been reminded of it.

Anyway, feel free to compose in parallel, just be aware that the above linked issue is a decent one on the topic, and will be your direct competitor.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I recall the original thread -- its good that you've dropped the terrorist attack.

Also this was submitted in 2018:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=445894

I thought it was pretty good, but another editor at the time must have rejected it, because it's buried in the deleted issues pile. I'm actually going to pop it back into the Yes Pool now, having been reminded of it.

Anyway, feel free to compose in parallel, just be aware that the above linked issue is a decent one on the topic, and will be your direct competitor.

Ah I see, well, in that case I will acknowledge that the issue you linked was here earlier and beat me to the idea! I don't feel the need to compete (enough of that IRL), merely freely contribute where I can :)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:What the fudge is a designated survivour?

I believe most people will be familiar with the concept, especially viewing how the series of the same namesake was fairly popular.

Hence why the series featured in this draft's premise is called Appointed Survivor, a nod to the original series Designated Survivor.

I think you should breifly explain, in a sentance or two, to those of us who don't know what you're talking about
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:50 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:

I think you should breifly explain, in a sentance or two, to those of us who don't know what you're talking about

If I'll ever try my hand at drafting again, I will remember this advice! But as Candlewhisper has found a better draft, I won't be working on this one anymore.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Advertisement

Remove ads