NATION

PASSWORD

Copa Rushmori XXXIII - Everything Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Schottia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:45 am

The Brewers

Part Two.

Bits of Paper

‘Has anyone seen those paper bags I picked up from the bakery last week..?’ Gary Brewer’s face was lined with concern as he entered his hut, and began rummaging through the drawers.

‘It’s nice to see you too Gary…’ Amanda Brewer answered dryly, before sharing a knowing look with their daughter Madita.

‘Some of those Coriander seeds are finally starting to dry out… I think.’ Gary muttered as he turned his attention to the storage box sat just inside the door. ‘If I don’t get these bags tied round the seed heads today then we run the risk of losing our harvest to a sudden gust of wind.’

‘Oh dear.’ Amanda replied, hoping it didn’t sound like sarcasm.

‘Oh dear, indeed…’ her husband answered, now stood upright, knuckles pressed into his hips as he looked around the room. ‘I was hoping to trade some of the surplus with Joanna, but that requires a good yield.’ Gary was clearly stressed, but he had the good sense to accept a camomile and ginger infusion, when Amanda offered it. ‘Thank you.’

‘Sit down and finish your tea.’ Amanda insisted, vacating the seat opposite Madita, and pushing the window back open for a little air. ‘You’re never going to find them in a fluster.’

‘Could we make some paper bags dad?’ Madita offered helpfully.

‘It may come to that.’ Gary answered, blowing the steam across the top of his cup. ‘But I know they are here somewhere.’

‘Finish your tea, and then we’ll both help.’ Amanda said, rubbing his shoulders to alleviate some tension. ‘Madita’ she added, turning to her daughter ‘why don’t you go out to the potting shed and see if they are in one of the boxes on the rack.’

Amanda shuffled through the cramped hut and took the seat opposite, sitting in front of her husband and offering a reassuring smile. ‘Gary?’ She said, going for the gentlest approach possible. ‘There’s something we need to discuss…’

‘Okay.’ Gary placed his hands against his face and breathed out long and slow through his nostrils. ‘I understand.’ He got to his feet, gazing at the rafters of the hut, as he paced the room. ‘You can have half of everything: our side of the valley, the livestock, even the money in my bank account.’ He closed his eyes and rested his head against the doorframe. ‘We’ll build a hut for you down near pond. We’ll obviously need to have some raised beds built, as the soil is a little damp down there. Madita can…’ He lifted his head, finally meeting her perplexed gaze. ‘Oh…’

‘Gary… I’m not breaking up with you.’ Amanda took the folded sheet of paper from her pocket, actually quite annoyed that his mind had gone so quickly in that direction. ‘Sit down.’

Slightly embarrassed (and massively apprehensive), Gary did as he was instructed and slid gingerly into his chair. ‘What is this?’ He asked, pointing accusatively as the bit of paper. Gary had learned over time not to trust sheets of paper, and he abhorred them in all their guises. They always wanted something from him, they brought news from the real world, they shattered the peace. The ones, which came in envelopes bearing the address of his bank, could lie unopened for weeks; and those with Schottic stamps were simply condemned to the fire.

‘It’s a…’ Amanda’s throat felt dry, and she struggled to swallow. The tension was building. ‘It’s a piece of paper.’ She was nowhere near ready to tackle the contents.

‘Pertaining to?’ His face was darkening, his knuckles white with pressure as he gripped the table for support.

‘Madita…’ Amanda finally swallowed. ‘She brought it home today. Look, Gary, darling…’ she opened the sheet, prompting her husband to leap to his feet. ‘…she want’s play football.’ In for a penny, she ploughed on. ‘Apparently a lady dropped these off at the school today, and she wants to register. I can take her to the training if it’s too much for you– ’

‘Enough!’ Gary implored, holding the pam of his hand in her direction. ‘Can we take a small break from the discussion so I can draw breath.’

‘Take all the time you need.’ Amanda half got to her feet to comfort him, but one look at his posture told her it was a bad idea. He was contorted, like some sort of gargoyle, almost defying gravity.

‘Does she have any idea what footb– footbaaa– foo– that sport has done to her father? Does she know what happened last time I –’

‘No of course she doesn’t Gary.’ Amanda removed the sheet of paper from the table, which had the immediate effect of calming him somewhat. ‘She’s just a little girl who want’s to play sports with her friends.’ Amanda seized the initiative, as Gary reached for a bottle of summer fruits gin, pouring himself a hefty measure. ‘What are the tiny chances she going to become a professional? Next to zero. She’ll probably get bored of it after six months…’

Gary threw open the window open and picked a couple of mint leaves from the window box, before crushing them and adding them to his drink. ‘You’re right.’

‘I’m not expecting it to… wait… What?!’

‘You’re right.’ Gary repeated himself, drinking deeply from his cup. ‘She should play.’

‘Okay… great!’ Amanda replied in shock, still partly expecting to hear a but. ‘I’m glad you see it that way, cause I think it’s really important for Madita to make her own choices, and even her own mistakes if necessary.’

‘I agree.’ Gary answered, finishing his drink with a shudder. ‘Let her try– ’

‘Here!’ Madita re-entered the room triumphantly, brandishing the paper bags for all to see. ‘Guess where they were..?’ She asked her parents, luckily oblivious to the tensions that had passed between them just seconds ago.

‘In the potting shed?’ her father asked, although it was a long shot, given the fact that she seemed so smug with herself.

‘Noooo…’

‘In a dinosaurs’ mouth..?’ Her mother tried.

‘Don’t be silly mum – noooo…’

‘I give up then.’ Amanda replied, throwing her arms in the air in defeat.

‘Then I’ll tell you.’ Madita said, eyes wide with relish. ‘… Near the goats!!!’

‘In the lean-to?’ Gary asked, surprised both on account of bags being there, but also his daughter finding them.

Madita nodded. ‘Do I get anything for finding them?’ She asked eagerly.

‘You get a cuddle.’ Amanda answered, pulling her daughter into her arms.

‘Don’t seek out material gratification Madita.’ Gary added with a frown. ‘The sense of achievement should be enough.’

‘Sorry dad.’

‘But…’ Amanda turned her daughter round to face her. ‘I do have some good news for you!’ Her face was contorted into a broad smile. ‘I spoke to your dad, and he says that its okay for you to sign up for football training – if that’s still what you want to do..?’

‘Yessss!’ Madita hugged her mother, before running to her father and throwing her arms round his waist. ‘It is, it is, it is.’ She hopped from foot to foot. ‘I’m going to go over and tell Oak! Maybe she want’s to join too!’

‘Go for it!’ Said Amanda, beaming over at her husband. ‘Just don’t get up to mischief. We’ll be over later on.’ She watched as Madita pushed open the door and vanished in an explosion of energy.

‘Will we..?’ Gary asked tentatively, in response to the revelation that they would be “over later.” Leaving his side of the valley for the newcomers’ village wasn’t a prospect he relished. He did his best to keep trips across the stream to a minimum, even if his relationship with Amanda put a strain on his voluntary solitude.

‘Dave and Indigo invited us over for a bit of singing…’ Amanda replied, her mouth grinning, her eyes imploring him for a positive answer. ‘I think Big Malcolm will be there…’ She offered (although it was a guess). Malcolm being Gary’s business partner (of sorts) in their micro-brewing enterprise, Amanda hoped it would sweeten the deal. ‘You don’t need to sing, you can just sit near the back and drink…’

‘We’ll see.’ Gary answered. ‘I have a policy of only agreeing to one thing a day, otherwise life has a habit of getting a little too much.’ The truth was, he’d had quite enough for one day, and an evening alone in the hut, in front of the fire, would have done him the world of good.

Gran Torche de Saint-Michel
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gran Torche de Saint-Michel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:52 pm

The Merchant Republic of Gran Torche de Saint-Michel wasn't known as a place where professional football struck gold for a couple of reasons, although many will admit that the nation's culture often prevents promising footballers from possibly reaching their peak. The nation was founded by Raphael de Sorel, a man that some would call a visionary wishing to establish a safe haven for those in need of a place to live and a job to work at while others would call him a depraved man who wished only to lust after his adopted daughter, using many poor souls to protect him from having to deal with any kerfuffles with the authorities of other nations. A figure with a background that has been since clouded by history due to how old it all was, people don't know even his home location (though some assume he was once a soldier for the Kingdom of Mardi, which if you don't know your Esportivan history, would later become a part of the Northern Sunrise Islands) nor the nature of his mythical adopted daughter.

Saint-Michel's major statement towards its' culture is that it's a nation formed by soldiers to guarantee the safety of each other while ignoring ideals such as national identity. Its' bigger issues were (and still are) handled by a national vote every first day of the month while lesser problems were often delegated to smaller groups of soldiers that were given the role of controlling aspects such as media, tourism and even traffic control in exchange for smaller work schedules. Pretty much every citizen of the nation was trained to be a soldier while also picking up another profession. Footballers themselves had the shortest end of the stick, usually having football as a third occupation.

Perhaps fittingly, the first professional footballer of the nation, Allen Füchs would be Saint-Michel's first scorer ever after sneaking a goal in following a great body feint by the Hokuto Senateurs' forward. It's the kind of stuff that enlightens the hopes of a nation that... well, to be fair, isn't very familiar with good football all that much.

Nellietopian Invaders
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nellietopian Invaders » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:28 pm

In truth, AUK didn't watch the game. The way the Nellies played, it was evident that they hadn't even touched a football in 10 years (or however long ago it was that they had touched a ball of any sort). Indeed, when the goal went in, they thought that that's how the game was played and proceeded to score another one. Then, they realized that they were scoring on the wrong net, which explained why it was so easy. Then they actually to play the game as it's supposedly supposed to be played - and they still lost, although they managed to score two other goals, this time in the correct net. But it was stunning finish from the defender Muñoz that settled the match, and it was clearly the "play" of the match. You really don't expect stunning shots to come in from those sort of players, but somehow, the combination of a deflected ball off a corner, a strange twist in the kick, and the sweeeet finesse of hitting the ball just right left the casual observer wondering if this is what football truly is - a random defender scoring the sort of goal that would make a striker gush with pride - and they celebrated that goal just the same way. Doubtless, he will never score another goal like again in his lifetime (maybe...).

But AUK wasn't so concerned with the minutiae of sporting play. After all, sport was just a civilized conflict of interest. Perhaps this was the reason why he valued footy, its utility as a way to satisfy the blood-lust of the war factions and to build camaraderie upon the fields of friendly strife. In one match of footy, AUK had began to mend the reputation of nellies - and Nellietopia - as a strange nation. Well, maybe not that much - nellies are strange, and Nellietopia, even stranger. But where AUK made a distinction, he went to Pasarga to engage the peoples there. You may imagine this as some weird diplomacy, but let us not forget that AUK is neither a member of the government, nor a face of the state. Indeed, on behalf of the Conclave, AUK was becoming the face of Nellietopia, and what people saw was a strange bird - perhaps the last of his kind. A tall bird with a long neck, black and white mottled plumage, and a bill that was an indecisive mix of seagull and pigeon - AUK was the star wherever the nellies went. People took photos, remarked quietly to themselves about this strange entourage, and eventually, a few hapless tourists struck up conversations. Perhaps the greatest surprise was AUK's ability to speak at ease in kith languages, equally at ease in the native languages as well as foreign. This fluency surprised everyone - especially Duck.

"Where did you learn to speak like them?"

"When speaking with your friends and enemies, it is best to learn how they speak."

Duck honked. He clearly didn't like that answer. "Yeah, I asked where - not how, and you really didn't say how either."

"True."

"Seriously, you must be the first Nellietopian that can even speak kith, and I'm not sure if any that spoke before spoke as well as you do. So obviously, it's a curiosity that needs answering."

"In the kith tongue, 'answer' is a response, while 'anser' is a goose."

Duck honked again, and AUK squawked in response. The two birds began a honk/squawk contest, to which passing people viewed as a spectacle. It must have seemed like some exciting motivational speech, when in truth, it was just two serious rivals sizing one another. And while Duck was clearly the more experienced soldier, AUK was more adept - he knew he was bigger and could easily outwit Duck at will almost. As to why Duck started honking so aggressively, that was unknown even to Duck - he was just so frustrated with the subterfuge that AUK was playing out left, right, up, down, and every direction. Who was he trying to impress? And to what end?

"FINE! Keep your stupid secrets! As if speaking kith means anything! Virtually every nellie understands them, so it's no big deal - there's nothing that you're hiding."

AUK settled down after the rough noise parade, comforting the nearby nellies. "You think we are rivals, and perhaps now we are - but know this. I keep my secrecy not to protect myself, but to protect you and everyone else. It's best if you don't know how and why I speak what they speak. Just... it's a convenience when dealing with the anthropes, because - as I have always believed - the death of all enmity is the birth of friendship."

Duck nodded, acknowledging the beautiful poetry of AUK's words - in his own way. "You sound like a fortune cookie."

"Speaking of which, you did bring the Nellie Scout Fortune Cookies?"
Last edited by Nellietopian Invaders on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nephara
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephara » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:08 am

Nephara 2 - 2 Saintland
(4-4-2) 1 - Mercator; 18 - Longship, 5 - Thorn, 6 - Brosch, 3 - Close (c); 13 - Saroszi (s/o 81'), 4 - Shone, 8 - Chalk (21 - Moxham 68'), 11 - Strongbow; 9 - Hawke (7 - Kuepper 82'), 17 - Bastable
Goals: Bastable 12', Strongbow 37'

I don't want to write about the game. The game was a crock of shit. I try not to get angry much, but there was a lot about that game to piss me the fuck off.
It's only now I realised why Brosque hammered set pieces into us, attacking and defending. Strauss doesn't do that. Strauss figures she's only got so much time with us, she's got better things to do than drill set pieces time after time. Fullbacks on the posts, everyone gets a man. Yeah, anyway we conceded twice to set pieces against fucking Saintland. Of all teams!
Entire match took place in their penalty area, it felt like. And, you know, there was always a red and white shirt in the way. They were very tough defensively, that was what our scouting had told us. And they wanted to kill us, of course, and we wanted to kill them. Like always.
Monako took that too far to heart. Again.
Today felt like a changing of the guard in more ways than one. I wore the armband, Kurtis whipped home off a narrow strike with a sliver of space, and when Monako hauled off and decided to give Pompeius some DIY ACL surgery it was Estrella goddamn Hawke that made way for Marica. Nephara's greatest goalscorer, sure. But Kurtis Bastable is the new hotness. Justified. He's fucking good. Estrella's dropped off in some pace, with age. Still... the fans hated it. You need a goal and you take Hawke off?
At least Strauss wasn't concerned about optics.

Maybe I'm not doing our opponents enough credit. They looked fucked forty minutes in, sure, but then, Asinius won a free kick and flicked it over the top of everyone and I had that 'oh-shit' moment and realised they were taller than us, teams don't get to be bigger than Nephara, and anyway Maianius towered over Tawny to head past Hesterine, who had slammed into the geometry of two other Saintlanders. She never was the best at commanding the area. Everything else, she's world-class. Just...
The second half, things degenerated. It was a brawl, pretty much. We all picked up cautions, got stuck in, stood up for each other. Reckon we probably got the best of the brawl even if it felt like we dropped the match. I got in a good hack on their rightback when he tried coming forward.
Asinius dropped a corner on Sosia, all hell broke loose in the area until Equitia hurled himself at the ball to scuff it over the line just after the hour.
What'd we have for a response? Not a lot. Fuck-all happened until Monako, etc. And by then it was too late, the narrative was too strong, and eleven Saintlanders crowded us out brilliantly.
Last touch of the game was mine. I knew time was well past running out, saw the referee reaching for his whistle, panicked, smashed the ball with full force. Cannoned off the crossbar. Suedius probably had it covered anyway, the son of a bitch. Equitia got man of the match while Tawny glowered on. Equitia had a goal and a whole litany of minor fouls without so much as a booking. That's pretty much the dream game for Tawny.

So we came out of it with one pretty good half and one goddamn godawful half and a whole lot of regrets and a real bitch of a sense of deja vu. Monako got themself sent off against Zwangzug, again an 'easy' match on paper, again drawn. And look how that ended up.
All we can do is train and pretend we don't notice how frosty it's got, pretend everything's alright. Lose to Cassadaigua and that might be it for Strauss. To Saint-Michel and we can kiss her sweet arse goodbye, and you know, I'm not sure how many other people in the camp are gonna cry their eyes out at that.

The nine goals against Ethane feel a really, really long time ago, now.
WCC Grand Slam champion.
Accidental Gridiron Championship Silver Belt holders for six cycles??

Masculine, Feminine and Mixed-Sex Name Generators

Savojarna
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Savojarna » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:31 am

SavojarSports.sj - inside reports from all Savojarna
Welcome to the Voynov Show

Troubalose (Pasarga) - There has been some outrage among Savojar social media regarding the fact that the Savojar side was scheduled to play in the small Apollo Ground, by far the stadium with the least capacity in the tournament. The Savojars, one-time Rushmori champions and number five of the region, were scheduled to play in the 29'000-seater twice and only move to a bigger stadium for their second-round clash with Eastfield Lodge. However, it showed today that Apollo Ground is a brilliant stadium for the fiery Savojar fans, and the atmosphere during the Northlights' 5-3 victory over Schottia was engaging and great throughout the entire ninety minutes. Besides the energetic Savojar fans, and their Schottic counterparts, a great part in that is owned to the sparkling performance of Krister Voynov.

The 24 year old, formerly lauded as the future of Savojar football, has firmly established himself as the present of Savojar football yesterday night. Savojarna came out of the locker room a bit shaky at the beginning, giving up an early chance in the fifth minute as Avelione crossed the ball deep from the midfield, exploiting a far advanced Lars Jensen by finding Cnocstanger at the second post. While the Schottian missed narrowly, giving Savojarna a break for the moment, they didn't really manage to learn from the mistake. Just minutes after, a mirror image occurred as a long ball from the midfield to the wing ended up on the foot of Avelione. This time the winger would lay back the ball to Bànach, who scored from twenty metres out with a shot to the top left that left Petrova completely chanceless.

This, finally, did shake up the Savojars and the pushed forward hard, wanting to give back the point as fast as possible. A quick one-two of Hoyman and the overlapped Nurkanen sent Schottia's midfield swimming, and as the wingback crossed to the middle, Sigurdsdottir got to throw in her height for the first time. Schottia's Grant Carlin outleapt the Savojar to clear the ball, but Karjanen had been lurking on the edge of the box and sent the ball flying into the lower left corner to equalise the game before the fifteenth minute. With the Copa starting promising in regards to entertainment, the Savojar fans upped their game and turned the Apollo Stadium into a cauldron.

26 minutes into the game, Voynov was showing off his talent the first time. Being sent down the left side by a long ball from Hoyman, the winger entered a duel with Corello, who held his own against the fast Russian but was eventually outrun. Voynov, not willing to be confined to the touchline, lifted the ball over himself and the stunned Schottian to turn around and pass back to Karjanen, while pulling into the box himself. The Savojar captain's pass found Voynov again, but he found his first shot stopped by a brilliant reaction of Lorrey deflecting the ball over the bar with his foot. However, a corner followed - which saw Savojarna go ahead for the first time in Copa 33 by Hoyberg heading the ball into the far top corner.

From that moment on, there was no holding back Savojarna's aggressive attacks, and Schottia never tried. Instead they took to countering in kind, leading to a breathtakingly fast affair and a lot of scoring chances. While a free kick by Karjanen got deflected into the goal by Sigurdsdottir to set the score to 3-1 at the break, Schottia again came out of the lockers guns blazing and scored quickly after the break off a counter thanks to a bad placement by Linne Kjaer, who let Martel-Burns escape in her back to score the 2-3 for Schottia. They briefly celebrated shortly after as the momentum seemed to flip, but the biggest chance for Schottia in the first fifteen minutes (aside from the goal) was stopped by Petrova as she blocked a direct shot by Avelione from thirteen metres out.

Like the Savojars before the 2-1, they were awarded a corner, but this time Savojarna had the better of it. Hoyberg, the star of the corner in favour of the Savojars, was also the star of this one as he cleared the ball out. Jensen carried the ball out and kickstarted the counter, which - naturally - went via Voynov. In a great move, he then dribbled around the anchoring Bronte, giving Savojarna the magic spark the fans were longing for and setting Schottia onto their heels. With the defenders advanced as one of the relatively few tall players to contend with Sigurdsdottir, Hoyman and the by now subbed in Roman Forsberg, they were now in serious trouble. Getting past the last defender, Voynov slotted it home to set the score back to 4-2 and putting Savojarna firmly in the lead.

With Schottia's spirit appearing somewhat broken now, the Savojars put one more on the board, but had to face the 3-5 in the final minutes to bring about the final score. Savojarna's victory is an important step towards qualification, having taken a three-point lead over their main competitor in qualification. Upcoming now, a victory over Eastfield Lodge may already secure the next round, and potentially the group victory. We can be assured that the Savojars will bring out their full firepower again as they move to the bigger stadium, and can only hope for an atmosphere as great as last night.

Schottia 3-5 Savojarna (1-3)
Apollo Ground, Troubalose, 29'000 spectators (sold out)

GOALS: 8' Bánach 1-0 (Avelione). 13' Karjanen 1-1. 28' Hoyman 1-2 (Voynov). 41' Sigurdsdottir 1-3 (Karjanen). 51' Martel-Burns 2-3 (Soria Luna). 64' Voynov 2-4. 72' Jotansson 2-5 (Voynov). 87' Renshaw 3-5 (Cnocstanger)
YELLOW CARDS: 35' Hare, 60' Kjaer (all foul).
REMARKS: --

Schottia: Lorrey - McGillivray, Hare (76' Renshaw), Carlin, Corello (48' Hordern) - Soria Luna, Bronte (69' Donaldson), Bánach - Avelione, Martel-Burns, Cnocstanger.
Savojarna: Petrova - Jensen, Omark, Kjaer (62' Forsberg), Nurkanen - Andersson, Hoyberg (69' Maersk) - Voynov, Jashkin - Sigurdsdottir (69' Jotansson), Karjanen
MT socialist (mostly) island state - Cultural mixture of Scandinavia, Finland and Russia -Exports iron, steel, silver and wood - Low fantasy in terms of animal species - Sports-loving - 22.8 million inhabitants.

The adjective is Savojar; Savojarnan is not a word!
I am a student of (European) politics, ice hockey fan, left-wing communist bordering on anarchy, and European federalist. Enjoy!

Sargossa
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 08, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Sargossa » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:27 pm

SSM | Sargossan State Media

International Edition - Sport

Immovable Objects

Blanco Borrayo reports;

Sargossa are the thirteenth ranked football nation in the whole gosh darn sportiverse. They are the second ranked nation in Rushmore. Former regional champions. Former Cup of Harmony holders. Sixteen time participants at the World Cup Finals (supporting cast, never leading men). Essentially, our boys can play a bit. So we’ll draw a quiet veil over matchday one, which required an Enrique Muñoz worldie to overcome some Nellie based nonsense at Kilmonarch. Regardless of how they were come by, three points were very welcome in a tournament in which only the group winners are guaranteed a place in the quarter finals. Particularly welcome as, for Sargossa, some immovable objects await.

Namely the two most defensive minded nations in the whole tournament. The first of which is a very familiar foe.

Taeshan
Past Record
P13 W8 D0 L5

Ah, Taeshan. It’s always a comfort to see them in a tournament. They’re like an old blanket. And the Sportiverse’s second most famous purple clad side are similar to our men in darker blue in that both nations are probably recognised more for their longevity than any particular sporting prowess. But both sides have pedigree, both have lifted this very trophy. And both are no strangers to each other have clashed on thirteen previous occasions. The Corsairs have the edge, with eight wins to the Purple Knight’s five, but the Taeshanis have been victorious in two of the last three.

Playing legend Miles Snavely is the new man in the Taeshan hotseat who is out to silence those who criticised his appointment. A lot will hinge on how well captain Randall Abl Bakr adapts to life in an unfamiliar centreback position and whether sixteen year old debutant Florian Wagner can handle the pressure of starting in goal. Either way it’s going to be a tough ole’ fixture but history has shown that when these sides meet there’s always a definitive result. Even if two former Copa champions must face off at the oddly Candelariasian Albrecht Road while the Nellies blunder about Stein-los’s glorious Kilmonarch.

Pridnestrovia
Past Record
P0 W0 D0 L0

And then there’s the Democratic People's Republic of the United Socialist States of Pridnestrovia. The DPRUSSP are suffering something of a slump, having won just one match across the previous two Copa tournaments. Veteran coach Gaëtano Bernardeschi’s solution to this seems to be to stick ten players behind the ball and see what striker Akhmet Magomedovich Davidov can conjure up.

And what was conjured up against higher ranked Taeshan was a point, following the tournament’s most predictable stalemate. Rodrigo Defederico is a far more attack minded tactician, one who will realise the challenge of cracking open both Pridnestrovia and Taeshan. And the Corsairs will indeed have to crack open at least one of them to make it into the last eight.
Champions: Cup of Harmony 41 / Di Bradini Cup 13 / Copa Rushmori V / Copa Rushmori XIV / Copa Rushmori XX / Copa Rushmori XXXVIII / Copa Rushmori XXXIX
Sargossa at the Olympics

" . . . those dictatorship-loving thundertwats . . ."

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Diary of Lucas Equitia

Nephara was a huge rival for our grandparents but they aren't really our generation's rival. It would be sinful for me to pretend that we had any business getting a draw against them. They're one of the best teams in the multiverse and we're a young team that is trying to become accustomed to international play before the prince joins us and, God willing, reclaims the glory of our ancestors.

I've had my doubts in the past about Alessandro's training regimen but I have no doubts now. We stole a draw against Nephara because we were the more technically sound team. They've even admitted as much. We spent the last month practicing set pieces over and over again. We trained against a firing squad of Acedonian and Republican domestic stars hired by the Royal Sports Agency. We ran lap after lap until we were completely exhausted and then we would end up having to run more as penance for our mistakes during practice.

Pasarga is a really weird place. I can't believe the way the women here run around dressed in public and I hate how I keep having sinful thoughts about young ladies I see walking their streets. It seems like everybody here is unsaved. It seems like they're hard to talk to though. I can respect how they wish to keep to themselves and stay mostly isolated but engagement with the multiverse is necessary. We need to play well and act like gentlemen on and off the pitch so that we bear a good witness for our faith.

I feel really bad about how physical the Nephara match was but I guess it was unavoidable. They're a physical team and so are we so it was always going to be a brawl just like it was for our ancestors. If we run into them again, they're going to be out for revenge because dropping points to us was a real humbling experience for them and will probably end up being the wake up call they needed to put an end to their complacency.

Our next match against Saint-Michel is actually winnable but they also have to figure we're probably their best shot for a win. We're going to have to guard against overconfidence going into this match. We're not really good enough to pick up a point against Nephara and we're also more than capable of losing this match...
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Eura
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eura » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Eura do not usually score very early goals, at least not in recent times. However, great footballers don't allow themselves to be defined by such patterns or precedents. Brian Bond had a plan to execute from kick off in the 33rd Copa Rushmori opener against Darmen. It wasn't exactly a work of art but if everyone played their part it would lead to a goal. Scott Coles was happy with it, Michael Brandon too on the sidelines. The match began with Bond rolling the ball back to Liam Armstrong who scooped the ball down the pitch on the left side. Rhys Griffiths and Oscar Coltrane both surged in that direction - they were going along with it. Darmen held their shape and shifted to their right slightly, as you would expect, and one of their men rose up to meet the first header. It was Cyrus Spalding under it, the centrally oriented right back supported by midfielders dropping deep as he came forward to meet the ball. The header was far from perfect but it sent the ball back in the opposite direction firmly which was enough. Usually there would be a subsequent challenge in the air or on the ground and there would be some out of practice passing around before a stoppage. That's how things tended to go for a Euran team just starting a tournament. Not today.

Stanley Burns was there to meet the ball coming down and, under little to no pressure, he hit a first time ball to switch the play across the pitch while both sides were largely still aligned down the left from the kick off. Darmen had not anticipated this unpredictably aggressive move. Burns hit it perfectly and in a flash Anthony Townsend had the ball with plenty of space out on the right, still 30 yards or so from goal. He took the ball down from its flight perfectly, and didn't need to wait to know what to do. He curled a teasing, gentle ball just over head height for Feliciano Espinosa and cutting the high line sweeper Alberich Goldschmidt out of the move. Momentarily it looked like it would be an easy collection for Hyman Campo. Deliveries like this got eaten up by inferior keepers on a daily basis. Not this time. Bond knew what was coming and where to be. He had already started his run when Townsend received the ball, accelerated at just the right moment to avoid offside, powered past Espinosa and Silver Abbey before they knew what was going on, and met the lob on his own just inside the box. Bond chested it down and, despite being slightly off balance, threw his right foot through the ball as he began to stagger, sending it easily past Campo and into the back of the net.

There were only nineteen seconds on the clock and Eura had scored. Every sports journalist in Eura could be seen typing up the furious "Brian Bond era" narrative as the goal went in. It had started during the World Cup; Underwood's injuries and age, Sharp's lack of form, and Eura's general malaise pre-playoff group had established Bond and Monica Rowland as Eura's new stars. Bond's breakthrough was overdue. He was a mature player now with plenty of caps, 27 years old even though it felt like he was a "young prospect" barely yesterday. But it was only recently that he had begun to start regularly and score almost every other game, and that was often on the wing. Now he was the front man, the number nine, and he was hungry for more. Eura dominated the opening stages following the goal. There were no prizes for guessing why; the early goal had shaken Darmen, whose defenders and goalkeeper were still arguing in their typically calm fashion about who was at fault for what. They clung on through some near misses but could do nothing when Coltrane exploited a lapse in concentration to feed a ball through for Bond. He latched on to it at the edge of the area and laced it with his left this time. No mistake. Top corner.

Although the opening goal had been impressive what was more important to this strong start was Eura's wider game plan and that their players were running about like they had a firecracker where the sun doesn't shine. Brandon knew that another slow beginning could not be tolerated after near disaster (and eventual under performance following a spirited recovery) at the last World Cup. Eura had to deliver a crushing blow to their first opponent and do it quickly. He called it "laying down a marker". Therefore he set his side up to attack within the confines of their 4-2-3-1, with both fullbacks overlapping more frequently than usual, making a defensive trade off in returning for extra attacking opportunities, while the backline as a whole played a high line. Coltrane, Griffiths and Townsend were so high up the pitch they were practically all playing as narrowly channeled second strikers, but both goals had come from them stopping just short of going all the way, creating space with quick movement of the ball and then squeezing it through for Bond to run riot behind the defence. It was a risky strategy given Darmen's propensity to counter attack with their dangerous outside midfielders on right and left, fed by the talismanic holding midfielder Goldschmidt and in turn supplying their classic target man-poacher strike pairing of Skylar Hurst and Craig Blackwood for goals.

Yet the Darmen counters were not coming. Endless harrying by the three attacking midfielders had neutered Goldschmidt almost completely. On the few occasions in the first half that Darmen managed to get a ball forward to their wide men somehow, their deliveries into the box were well defended, mainly by the commanding presence of Charles Roberts and his enormous head. Blackwood and Hurst were isolated and starved of the ball while the action mainly went on in Darmen's half, with the Euran's holding most of the possession. In the 37th minute, after Eura had continued to knock on the door for a while with Bond hitting the post, a Coles cross was headed back across goal by Griffiths and flew behind Bond. It didn't matter - Townsend reacted quickly to stick out a boot and prod it in at chest height. Eura were far luckier with their third goal than the first two but regardless of how it was scored, its timing was fatal to Darmen who would go into half time three goals down and having been comprehensively outplayed in the first half. Their experience was summed up by Goldschmidt at one point in stoppage time; one of his precise passes was cut out aggressively by Rowland before it could get anywhere. Eura's attacking midfielders and Bond then merged into one group of four forwards converging, leaving Darmen's man-marking system with only three permanent defenders scrambling. The move then came to nothing, but it had forced Darmen's wide players to retreat to prevent Eura's fullbacks joining the pile on, making a rapid counterattack a pipe dream.

In the second half Eura were able to relax the tempo slightly with their three goal advantage and Darmen's players became frustrated. Their usually controlled but firm tackling became increasingly poorly timed. This was not out of anger - they are a notably disciplined, respectful side - but it did reflect some of them losing their heads in their own quiet way. Eura got their fourth this way not too long into the second half. After a corner was cleared Burns put the ball back into the box, only for it to come out again. Griffiths was there to take the ball down and try to move into the crowded box this time. He beat Goldschmidt with his footwork and was then felled aggressively by Abraham Cardoso. The midfielder was given marching orders for a second yellow and to make matters worse he had conceded a penalty. Negotiations over who would take it didn't last long. Bond was the new primary penalty taker, and he was on a hat-trick to boot. The Eastweald striker stepped up and slammed a convincing penalty into the roof to make it 4-0, though Campo was unlucky not to keep it out after getting a hand to the ball. With such an advantage Brandon felt secure in making a couple of substitutions after only six minutes. Bond was off to a standing ovation for John Fletcher (Dion Underwood did not look fully fit in the warm up) and Moira Woakes replaced Coltrane. Darmen belatedly rotated things around so they were playing a 4-3-2 now they were down to ten men, playing a much narrower system.

The last half hour of the game was characterised by Eura coming off the pace and allowing Darmen to play which will have been disappointing for Michael Brandon. To the full credit of Darmen they did not give up and kept going like it was all to play for. They had three chances within a few minutes that really tested Eura as Hurst, Goldschmidt and Blackwood forced saves out of Kevin Belgrave, who was wearing the number one shirt for the first time. Belgrave didn't have to do much until this point and he excelled, but was unlucky to concede two goals in quick succession after making some fine stops. First came Blackwood's goal, a rather simple nod in from a corner from the left after some poor marking by Eura. The second was unstoppable and a brilliant piece of attacking play by defiant Darmen. Playing out from the back after Eura lost the ball when venturing forward, they embarked on a move typical of their best performances; a long series of accurate passes, building up from their own half, and ending with substitute Víedharr Svendsen firing past Belgrave following twenty two successful consecutive passes. At 4-2 the score was respectable again. Unfortunately for the All Greens they could not sustain this effort and ran out of steam with ten minutes still remaining. This gave Eura free license to bring on Dean Sharp and switch to an overwhelming 4-2-2-2 to open up a gap again. Once Sharp had turned in a low free kick and Fletcher scored a very Fletcher goal - bullet header from a corner - Eura were 6-2 winners. It was exactly the initial result Michael Brandon had envisioned with his tactics, yet the one getting all the headlines would most definitely be Brian Bond.
Last edited by Eura on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United Federation of Eura - Sporting achievements
Champions: WC66, WC73, CR23, CR27, CR34, CoH 85, Market Cup I, Next Generation Trophy, Gold Medal (Mens Football) Olympics IX
Runner up: WC60, WC72, WC78, CR16, CR20, CR32, CR44, CoH51, COH79
Host: CR24, CR37, BoF60, CR Under 21's and Under 17's

Falkyr
Secretary

Founded: Dec 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Falkyr » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:35 pm

"It really was a good result for the nation, your highness." Alyssiana had just picked up a message from Sylvi, Skysreach's comms officer, but it seemed the latter saw it as an opportunity to make small talk about the match.

"Minnows straggling each other to death is not becoming of our legacy."

"We have no legacy here, though. Next to none, at least. Every point matters for us at this stage!"

The queen sighed, having her overwrought response not taken as sign to quit talking. "Tell me if we manage a point against Eura and not a moment sooner. I've had my diversion, I have no need seeing our flag sullied under the boots of foreign sportsmen."

She moved to turn about with her typical cape flourish, but Sylvi carefully reached out an arm to halt her without making contact. "Apologies, but there's one more matter we need your say on. The cartography institute in Naversund sent along this prototype map--" a few quick taps brought it up on screen:

"--to submit to the regional authorities, now including the rebuilding efforts."

Alyssiana leaned onto Sylvi's chair and squinted at the screen. "There's no legend."

"Ah, yes--likely because it is intended to be part of a much larger map, but it would have been appropriate for them to include it in this snippet as well. The red dots are used to differentiate the Falconian cities from the Falkyr cities here, but that's a temporary visual aide--all the dots bar the capital would be black in a finalized version."

"And they feel the reconstructions are already notable enough to be shown over the likes of Jårlund and Attenstad?"

"To an international audience, I would believe so. Names foreigners are familiar with staying on the map may help them feel more comfortable, and hopefully increase tourism. Plus it's not like the average Euran or Pasargan will have any business in Attenstad."

"Oh, how I envy them." Alyssiana stood back up and gave her softest glare. "This map will do fine. Is that everything taken care of?"

"Yes, your highness."

Sylvi was used to used to the glares, but couldn't help but shrink a little in it. She shook it off as the cape fanned her and disappeared down the hallway, turning back to the monitor and pulling up the replay of Aurtenetxe (I have to learn how to pronounce that..., she half-mumbled) cleanly slotting the ball past Smolarek. It wasn't a flashy play, but was the sort that developed so quickly it was over before she'd noticed watching live. Rewinding just a bit, she marveled at how Ballarin just seemed to glide past one Falkyr after another to set her up. Thank the heavens Ljungman had a rare moment of brilliance, she fully kept in her head this time, or this would have been that much bleaker a start.

Trans-Dniesters
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trans-Dniesters » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:09 pm

(OOC: Copa Rushmori XXXIII takes place in January 2028 during the Pridnestrovian season's winter break. The events about to be depicted here take place in May 2026, almost two years before this current Copa.)

The Tiraspol Kremlin
May 21, 2026
0150 hours local time

"The reports are finally trickling in, Comrade President. It ia confirmed: the rebel leadership in Turbine City, or what's left of it, has finally capitulated to our forces. All organized resistance against our forces in northern Estorvipa has ceased. The Federation of Estorvipa and Estorpiva has been restored as the rightful and only government authority in the country."

The pronouncement made by Field Marshal Oleg Sergeyevich Dallutev to the Pridnestrovian Politburo was met by an unexpected wave of loud applause and cheering from the twenty or so men and women seated around the table where they made the decisions that had made the Democratic People's Republic of the United Socialist States of Pridnestrovia into what it was today. Six years, six long years of war and hardship on Estorvipa to evict the various rebel factions that had formed there and restore the rule of the Federation of Estorvipa and Estorpiva over the land had finally paid off. Pridnestrovian lives had been lost, and for the first time in almost two decades foreign invaders had dared to step on Pridnestrovian soil, but the Pridnestrovian Republic had soldiered on to achieve its ultimate objective. Some of the rebel factions that Pridnestrovia had encountered on Estorvipa had proved to be pushovers like the Soviet Republic of Estorvipa and the Free Republic of Estorpiva. But others had given both Pridnestrovia and the Federation a very hard time, most especially the anarchist Estorvipan Commune, the first and largest faction to form against the Federation. Fighting the Commune had taken the combined might of Pridnestrovia and the Federation more than three years before they were finally able to grind the stubborn bastards into the ground and force their leadership, those who were still alive anyway, into accepting unconditional surrender.

For Stepan Stepanovich Stepanenko, president (some might say dictator) of the Pridnestrovian Republic, this victory over the Estorvipan Commune was the culmination of a lifelong ambition to spread Pridnestrovian values to a neighboring country. The Federation of Estorvipa and Estorpiva had always been Pridnestrovia's steadfast ally through the years, so when he had seen the reports that a civil war was brewing in the Federation, he immediately approved the decision to send troops to the Federation to help stabilize the situation. That hadn't worked out as he would have liked, but still in the end his determination paid off. The Federation remained a steady ally to Pridnestrovia, and with the Estorvipan Civil War well and truly over it was time to rebuild and also root out all the sources of imperialist influence in the country.

"Comrades, my friends on the Politburo, I believe this is what is called a job well done," Stepanenko said once the applause and congratulatory remarks between the Politburo members had died down. "The Federation of Estorvipa and Estorpiva has been restored as the rightful government of their nation. I am proud that we all have played a part in their battle to reclaim their country. The imperialists may have tried to take away our most steadfast ally from us but through our combined efforts they have failed yet again. However, let us not think that just because we have defeated the rebels doesn't mean that we have eradicated all of our enemies. The imperialists will try once again to remove us and our allies from Estorvipa, and it is up to us to keep our eyes and ears open for the first signs of infiltration. Oleg Sergeyevich, how go the plans for providing additional security and support for the Federation and their mop-up operations?"

"The troops are already moving to secure the areas where they have the most trouble with the anarchist holdouts as we speak, Comrade President," Dallutev replied. "My aides will distribute the plans that we have drawn up to deal with these insurgents—"

"Let me hold you there for a moment, Oleg Sergeyevich," Stepanenko said, interrupting Dallutev and his aides with a raised hand. "I am sure that you would like to discuss our future plans in Estorvipa in detail tonight, Comrade Marshal, but seeing as we have finally achieved victory over the imperialist puppet 'rebels', is it not time that we finally took a well-deserved rest? What do you say, comrades?"

The Politburo was silent for a few moments as the rest of Pridnestrovia's most powerful men and women considered their President's words. Eventually, it was Dallutev himself who was first to speak up. "An excellent idea, Comrade President," he said. "We have achieved final victory over the rebels, after all. You are right, sir. We have all deserved our rest, from the soldiers to the commanders to us here in the Politburo."

"It is settled then," Stepanenko declared. "We shall continue where we have left off later on today and discuss how we are going to deal with those Estorvipans who stubbornly cling on to the empty words and false promises of their imperialist masters. We have achieved final victory in Estorvipa, yes, but that is only half of the job done. Tomorrow we are back at it. And now, comrades, I bid you all good night."

The Politburo stood up and began conversing between themselves, mostly congratulating each other on the Pridnestrovian and Federation victory over the Estorvipan rebels. Stepanenko accepted his fair share of thanks before returning to his private chambers, the part of the Tiraspol Kremlin where he worked, ate, and slept as part of his office as President of the Pridnestrovian Republic.

Stepan Stepanenko had always considered himself healthy for his age, but at 100 years old he was most definitely pushing it a little bit. He knew that sooner or later he was going to have to rest for a little bit longer than usual, but not while the Federation of Estorvipa was in danger of falling to the imperialists. But now that victory had finally been achieved, Stepanenko felt as if a massive weight had been lifted from his shoulders, and he was now freed of the burden of maintaining Pridnestrovia's standing within the international community.

Stepanenko entered his private chambers and headed straight for the bedroom. His nightclothes had been laid out at the foot of the bed, but Stepanenko didn't bother with putting them on tonight. Instead he only removed his oxfords and then laid down on the bed without even slipping between the covers. It then felt like he had closed his eyes for only a second or so before he felt the presence of someone else in the room. Stepanenko opened his eyes and saw a most familiar face to him.

"Good evening, Stepan Stepanovich," Galdar Rodionovich Umayev, the first ever president of Pridnestrovia in its current state. Stepanenko knew that it was impossible for Umayev to be in the room since the elder statesman had died back in 1987, and yet there he was, egghead and shit-eating grin and all.

"Galdar Rodionovich," Stepanenko could only blurt out in surprise. "How are you doing?" He finally managed to ask once the current president found his voice.

"I'm doing very well, thank you, Stepan Stepanovich," Umayev replied. "I see that you have decided to become friends with the Flefts now."

"It wasn't a difficult decision to make in all honesty, Galdar," Stepanenko replied. "We Pridnestrovians have a lot more in common with the Fleftics than we had previously thought and believed. Better them than the blasted imperialists across the sea, I tell you."

Umayev nodded his head. "And this, well, rebellion in Estorvipa. Took you long enough to crush it and kick the imperialists out, didn't it?"

"They have made life difficult for us," Stepanenko nodded. "But because of this, our alliance and solidarity with the Estorvipans has only increased."

"Indeed it has," Umayev nodded back. "You've been working very hard these last few years, my friend," he said after a few moments. "I think it's time that you finally had the rest you deserved."

"Already?" Stepanenko asked. He had always known that this day would come sooner or later, but he hadn't been expecting it to come this quickly. "But there's still work left to do, Galdar Rodionovich," he said. "There are still holdouts scattered throughout Estorvipa and the Pivans. Each and every single one of them must be removed to fully cure the Estorvipans of their imperialist blight."

"And now I am sure that your comrades and successors will be able to carry that out without a problem," Umayev assured him. "Come, Stepan Stepanovich," he said, holding out his hand. "I know of a place where you can rest easy knowing that Pridnestrovia is now in safe hands. And maybe once again we can make Marx twist in his grave with the commodization of communism."

Stepanenko didn't even take the time to consider Umayev's offer. He got up off the bed, feeling light as a soft and cool breeze, and shook Umayev's hand. "After you, old friend," he said with a smile.
"Good morning, Comrade President," the maid in charge of carrying Stepanenko's breakfast to his room said as she went in. She noticed that the President was still asleep, having forgotten to change from his suit from his late night briefing with the Politburo. She laid down the tray on the President's desk before moving to shake Stepanenko awake. "Comrade President, it's time to wake up," she said. But as she got closer, she felt that something was not right. "Comrade President?" She asked. And then she felt the cold stiffness of the body on her fingertips, and she immediately pulled away in shock.

It took her ten seconds before she called for the guards and for any help that she could get for the President of the Pridnestrovian Republic, but by the time the Kremlin doctors arrived everyone knew that it was too late.
The Democratic People's Republic of the United Socialist States of Pridnestrovia
Leader: President Field Marshal Stepan Stepanovich Stepanenko

Abanhfleft's post-Soviet dictatorship
Rushmore's a good place, да.

Pasarga
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasarga » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:09 pm

Alexander Jager had completely scoffed at the idea that he was a failed starlet that could not cut it out at the international stage. Almost single handily had he won a DBC nearly a half decade before and his own efforts two and four years ago were huge catalysts for the Wanderers to doing as well as they did in Qualifiers and made it to the Finals. This talk of him having lost a step and not being able to play with Alexander Kárpáty was a bunch of hogswash, a string of bad performances had suddenly made everyone a critic and losing their memories it seemed to him. He imagined that the rage and fury that they felt for the Wanderers to have not made the Finals last month in Atlantian Oceania could not even begin to compare t he rage that he felt himself and that which all of the team that did not make it to Finals felt themselves. If the supporters did not think that they did not feel the weight of their failure with every inch of their bodies and in every breath, then they were not real supporters but merely angry watchmen too caught up in their own turmoil to even begin to understand the thing they claimed to support.

If there was one thing that no one wanted to face from this Pasarga squad it was a furious Alexander Jager who had a point to prove with a giant chip on his shoulder. While all of the members of the national team had a bit of fire in them, there was a greater flame inside of Jager that everyone had seen from the moment that he had ever had a football at his feet. This was a man who was born to play football and had it in his head that he was going to be among the best to have ever played the game, no obstacle would have ever been too much or too difficult for him. Having the bitter taste of complete and utter disappointment was driving him insane and he had been impatiently waiting for the moment when he could put on that Wanderers' kit once more and start to put right all the things that had gone wrong over the last two years with the national team program. This was the opportunity to put to bed all the vile rumors that had began to spread like wildfire in the time since the Qualifiers had finished and the start of the Copa Rushmori here in the dual islands.

Crystalline Caverns just happened to be the unlucky opposition that stood in his way, as they had been drawn into the Wanderers' group and slotted into the position of the group that would see the two square off to open up the tournament. It was not as if Jager had anything particularly against Crystalline Caverns but they were in his way to do what he wanted to do, no what he needed and yearned to do from the moment that final whistle had sounded against Zwangzug and their hopes and dreams had come up quite short. Thirty seconds in and Jager had already sliced apart their backline like it was one of those fancy cheese wheels with all the holes in it and the crowd that had made it in early to the national stadium were on their feet in roaring applause. The five or so thousand fans who were still trickling in would have missed the absolutely majesty of what appeared to be magic but was simply the sublime skill of Jager dribbling through the defense and blistering a shot that not even the best keeper in all of the footballing world would have had a chance of saving. This was his time, these were but merely collateral damage on his way to glory and redemption.

Two more goals would come his way, though with more of a team effort in the other two than the simple individual brilliance that the opening goal was, and a defense that clamped down any time the opposition tried to break through was enough to see the day out and give the Wanderers an early inroad into winning the group. Jager hungered for the win of the group, not merely just to satiate his own needed for glory and redemption but because only the group winners in this tournament would be guaranteed advancement into the knockout rounds. After what had happened during the Qualifiers, there was no way in the world that he wanted to have the Wanderers' fate come to rest in the hands of others, they needed to go out there and secure the points themselves that would have them in contention to repeat as champions. That had to be the goal, to lift the trophy once more like they had done two years ago when they had shocked the world and thoroughly done so to Eura in a tournament where their allies thought it was all theirs to win. While the Copa was no World Cup, it would be the first step on a long road to being back where they belonged and where Jager knew they could be if they only had the consistency and hunger to do so...

Pasarga
Ambassador

Postby Pasarga » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:11 pm

Matchday 2

Group A
Crystalline Caverns 0–0 Oberour Ar Moro
Pasarga 5–2 Olastor

P Group A                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Pasarga 2 2 0 0 8 2 +6 6
2 Olastor 2 1 0 1 3 5 −2 3
3 Oberour Ar Moro 2 0 1 1 0 1 −1 1
4 Crystalline Caverns 2 0 1 1 0 3 −3 1

Group B
Nellietopia Enclave 0–0 Pridnestrovia
Sargossa 2–1 Taeshan

P Group B                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Sargossa 2 2 0 0 5 3 +2 6
2 Pridnestrovia 2 0 2 0 1 1 0 2
3 Nellietopia Enclave 2 0 1 1 2 3 −1 1
Taeshan 2 0 1 1 2 3 −1 1

Group C
Saintland 0–0 Saint-Michel
Nephara 5–3 Cassadaigua

P Group C                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Nephara 2 1 1 0 7 5 +2 4
2 Cassadaigua 2 1 0 1 5 6 −1 3
3 Saintland 2 0 2 0 2 2 0 2
4 Saint-Michel 2 0 1 1 1 2 −1 1

Group D
Darmen 2–1 Falkyr
Eura 2–1 Askari Union

P Group D                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Eura 2 2 0 0 8 3 +5 6
2 Darmen 2 1 0 1 4 7 −3 3
3 Askari Union 2 0 1 1 2 3 −1 1
Falkyr 2 0 1 1 2 3 −1 1

Group E
Eastfield Lodge 2–3 Savojarna
Nethertopia 3–6 Schottia

P Group E                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Savojarna 2 2 0 0 8 5 +3 6
2 Eastfield Lodge 2 1 0 1 5 3 +2 3
3 Schottia 2 1 0 1 9 8 +1 3
4 Nethertopia 2 0 0 2 3 9 −6 0
Last edited by Pasarga on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gran Torche de Saint-Michel
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gran Torche de Saint-Michel » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:31 am

The practice of having players move outside for football has been rather recent, mostly thanks to the efforts of the country's best players instead of being at the behest of their own clubs. With the creation of a national league, something that also has to thank the voices of the finer players of the nation for, players at the national level were finally able to have a footballing career recognized as a profession, thus receiving funds from the national administration. Still, they were forced to remain as active soldiers of Saint-Michel, which would lead itself to some shenanigans on the international level.

The Traveller's Trophy was established by Thunisian businessmen curious to see how well their champions would square off against other teams from the multiverse. Originally, the tournament was envisioned as a cup featuring teams from Thunisia, the Hinodejin Empire and Anubwa, but in the end, the tournament turned itself into an invitational featuring teams from most of the region of Emirates of Futurnia, including the Hinodejin from Esportiva and Saint-Michel on the mix. Go Ahead Tilstad, a team already showing some promise towards becoming a major feature of the Trophée de Sorel, found themselves falling short of classification to the Play-Off Stage, behind South Wheatley champions Rubber Valley Ducks and Anubwa champions Memphis while fellow compatriots Fauchers Saint-Michel dropped out to Verraccia champions Moggia and another Anubwa team in Isis during the Group Stage.

Participation in the tournament showed that being an active soldier was a bit of a problem, with Allen Füchs being the most frustrated player of the bunch, complaining that she was called up for border patrol, taking her out of six matches for the tournament, allowing her to play (and score) on Go Ahead Tilstad's first match, a 3-0 win against the Rubber Valley Ducks and a two-nil win against the Hashika Azumarills from Sunakawama. Things got even more egregious in the following season, where she only played in a victory against Nyjorkalloid's Stammesøken Moland, scoring both goals in that game. Lucky for her team, Go Ahead Tilstad led its' group, which meant that Allen was able to play a game at the Play-Off Stage, beating Eskandor's finest Viggo Lalad. She was then called up for border patrol... again, missing out on the game against the Hinodejin Empire's Kanshiro Lopunnies and a chance to meet Sang Kyung-Ja before she retired from the sport at the final of that tournament.

Publicly announcing her anger with her situation, she asked for the opportunity to play outside of Saint-Michel... and was granted the chance once the Hokuto Senateurs offered her enough money to do so. It is a Merchant Republic, after all.

Nellietopian Invaders
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Nellietopian Invaders » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:09 pm

The dictionary definition of "Yafotie" includes a picture of two babies sleeping face to face. It seems cute on the surface, but it's actually incredibly dull and boring to watch. Such was the nature of the nil-nil result between the nellies and Pridnestrovia. After the travails of the last match, the nellies realized that the objective of the game is to win games, and to win games, one must not let the other team score - so they spent their greatest effort in preventing the other team from scoring. Unfortunately, the Pridnestrovian team was also super focused on defending their net, to the point where neither forced a shot on target. In fact, neither team forced a shot at all. You could spot the difference between the two teams - purple-stinging nellies on one side and the green-red clad players of Pridnestrovia on the other. After 60 minutes of passing the ball side-to-side, absentmindedly losing possession to the other side, and basically trying to do everything but score, the crowd started to heckle and boo the players. Of course, purple-stinging nellies know no difference between heckles and cheers. As for Pridnestrovia... we're not sure what they were thinking, but they did not seem too perturbed. After the heckles and boos commenced, then came the litter from the crowd, demanding what must have been surely some form of action - any form of action. In the end, the teams shared the points, and the crowd became super furious, almost to the point of rioting.

Of course, AUK was not a fan of rioting. It was certainly worth keeping the local authorities happy, so as the people were vacating the stadium, AUK resorted to his diplomacy to calm the nerves of those fans who demanded goal-mouth action. "While it is exciting to see the thrill of victorious soldiers rising above the challenge of stubborn defense, it is also equally impressive to note the perfection of two equally opposed teams."

"Yeah, but no one was doing anything! They were equally opposed to shooting!"

"True - but doesn't perfection take different forms?"

"Are you seriously trying to defend a game devoid of any footballing skill?"

"It takes skill to manage the game for 90 minutes without conceding."

"It takes no skill to manage no shots on target. It's literally the default!"

AUK nodded. "Perhaps. But perhaps it takes skill to avoid the impulse to break ranks to do something that wasn't tactically prepared, just because the sight of victory is there - the tantalizing sight of victory. But no - the coaching staff had prepared hard to arrange the players to be defensively strong! To resist the pull of the opponent and open oneself in the same process. To remain steadfast in the face of tempting movements out of position for a potential to excel. This is the strength of the two teams today - they played their best game possible, because they remained true to themselves. And though neither team won the day, they also did not lose the battle - and that is worth everything in the world."

Somehow, in the midst of that babble of words, AUK managed to convince some people that this was a really good game of football. Certainly, most commentators would agree that it was more boring than watching a painter watch a freshly painted wall of paint dry, but AUK had succeeded in his primary objective - avoid the riot, to which he would likely never receive any accolades, because - just as much as the spectators had expected a spectacle of football, with goals, tackles, and the like - not rioting is literally the default expectation of the local authorities.

But the way AUK talked the crowd out of their tempers had left Duck wondering how much a silver-tongued master AUK truly was. It begged the question. "How much do you believe of what you say?"

AUK grinned. "All of it. And none of it. It's just words, but I give those words power, because I believe in them."

"You are the sort of creature that would make anyone believe in contradictions."

"Contradiction is the height of ambiguity. If you say something so loose in thought, it becomes impossible to refute. But more important than the contradiction is the time afforded to think the right outcome."

"So you would literally say something just to say it, even if saying it means nothing?"

"Everything that I say has a purpose, even if it is meaningless. In making a thing meaningless, it becomes purposeful - to what end is part of my finesse as a diplomat."

Duck quacked loudly. "I knew you diplomats were just cunning wordsmiths!"

"And yet, you're part of my entourage?" AUK commented lightly. He pointed at the nellies crowding around them, noting whom they were trailing. It was true - since AUK had come, AFLAC seemed less and less important, and Duck himself less and less relevant. They respected AUK's wisdom more than they sought for the brute force of AFLAC. And somehow, while it seemed more serious than the oft-comical solutions of yore, AUK's approach seldom resulted in any serious issue. In fact, the delegation following the Nellietopian players around Stein-los appeared less eventful than any attempt at normalcy in years, decades even. Surely, one remembers the historic RAID raids, the farcical invasions and counterinvasions, and on occasion, pitched battles against locals. And the bites - heavens, the bites! But there was none of that. How much the nellies were paraded around, even celebrated (excepting the boring Yafotie of the recent match) in Pasarga? What was happening?

"Duck, it is best not to overthink the reality of our situation. The nature of diplomacy is engagement - and we are winning that battle against ignominy. It is better to be respected than to be feared. Where fear only works as long as power is unbalanced, respect will transcend all expectation of force or repulsion. Nellietopia's strength is not its strength."

"Well, then, what is the strength of our kind?"

"Versatility."

Schottia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:30 am

The Brewers

Part Three.

Hazelnuts

Gary was a man who valued his piece and quiet above all other mortal pleasures. Yet somehow, despite running to the ends of the ends of the earth to escape human contact, he had ended up married with a child. Worse still, these social obligations on the other side of the river were increasing in frequency, almost matching the decline in Gary’s resolve to say no. There was a time where the Newcomers’ village was more of a temporary endeavour; a smattering of cheap tents, which were dismantled at the first sign of bad weather. Those days were long gone, and the semi-permanent structures, which started to appear a few years previous, were now starting to look very permanent indeed.

Gary thought of running away all over again – of course he did – but all that had come to pass stood as evidence that no matter how hard he ran, civilisation would always find him. At the moment he was resigned to his fate, a husband, a father, and (as much as it killed him to say it) a friend.

Positioned in his conservatory, in the light of two, crude, bees wax candles, Gary stood contemplating his life so far. He hated the conservatory, he even hated that it was called a conservatory, but at the moment he was stuck with it. The hut, which had been more than big enough for Amanda and him, had been deemed insufficient space to raise a child.

“How much space can a child possible need?”

Gary had dug his heels in at first - of course he had – but in the end, common sense had won the day. (Well, a mixture of common sense and an ultimatum from Amanda that the alternative was buying a bungalow in Kensey.)

Gary missed the days where he could swing open the door to his hut, and be stood in the fresh air. He liked that it had been the first thing to greet him each morning, rather than the clutter of the conservatory, which doubled up as Madita’s bedroom. Amanda had quite reasonably argued that walking through the conservatory was indeed only four paces more, and a relatively minor intrusion to his routine – her miscalculation, however, was that Gary was not a reasonable man.

The conservatory was about the same size as the hut itself, three meters by four, and contained Madita’s bed, a small writing desk, and a chest of drawers for storage. A small table there was also, and a stool where Amanda liked to sit when it was raining. Gary never used the table, and made a point of sitting outside under the old log shed even in the worst weather, because he was…. just a bit of a cunt really.

With the front door ajar, the distant sound of guitar, bells and bongo drums were already invading the silence. Gary’s wife and daughter would be enjoying themselves. The singing, the clapping, and the consumption of stimulants would be creating a happy and welcoming atmosphere. There was a time when Gary would have reluctantly joined in, clapped along, cracked a smile in spite of himself. Not these days. Gary preferred to drink alone, and with that thought, he did indeed pour himself another mug of summer fruits gin. (He forewent the mint however, as in the dark there was too much chance that a stray nettle found its way into the cup instead.)

Taking care to blow out both candles, Gary slipped on his quilted jacket (actually made from an old quilt) and took his drink outside. He walked past the sheds, past the gardens, the fruit trees, all the time the sound of people enjoying themselves followed him like a cloud.

Madita wanted to play football… Of all the sports in Christendom..! He had failed her as a parent, failed her miserably. There was no way she could know what she was getting herself in for.

Up at the top end of the valley was thick woodland of birch and ferns, where the stream slowed and the ground became a little boggy. It was on Gary’s side so none of the newcomers came here, and Amanda normally steered clear of it too for that matter. Gary ploughed on though, he knew every centimetre of the valley by feel, for so long had her walked the length of it, crisscross and back again. He wasn’t concerned about getting his feet wet, even in the dark he knew exactly where to tread. It was the very same strip of woodland where he had met The Man, all those years back, and as a result had always held a sort of spiritual importance to Gary.

“What are the tiny chances she going to become a professional? Next to zero. She’ll probably get bored of it after six months…”

But Gary new how life worked, he’d been bitten hard so many times that the patterns were now obvious to him. The problem with Madita was that he saw himself in her. As he watched the little brown haired girl bobbing around, it was as if he were observing himself, before life had dealt its hard reality checks. The story was too good, it wrote itself. Useless Corsie’s useless daughter embarks on a career in football: hilarity ensues.

There were a few hidden gems in the valley, and one that Gary guarded jealously was the tall hazel tree. It was within sight now, as he successfully completed his negotiation birch wood. Amanda had asked him on occasion where the hazel nuts came from, but he always quickly changed the topic. His life still needed some privacy, some mystery. There always had to be some room lift in life for the uncertain. Most often Gary would free a handful of nuts from their husks, and sit with them at the base of the three. There he would find two stones and break the shells before eating them alone. That was how he enjoyed the hazelnuts best.

The night was growing colder now, and long puffs of breath hung in the air in the form of condensation.

As he drew nearer he was confronted with the unmistakable figure of his daughter, sat cross-legs, beneath the tree. He held back, standing silently, since her back was turned, staring up into the boughs. Gary durst not move a muscle, and his body suddenly felt big, oversized, cumbersome, as he tried not to be seen. He needn’t have worried however, as Madita, on closer inspection was entirely preoccupied. There was something metronymic about it, the tap-tap-tap, as she sat freeing the hazelnuts from their shells before consuming them.

Nethertopia 3–6 Schottia @ Apollo Ground 29,000
Line-up: Lorrey, Corello, McGillivray, Hare, Kamara, Bronte, Bánach, Soria Luna (Innescourt), Cnocstanger, Avelione (McInnes), Martel-Burns (Renshaw)
Goals: Martel-Burns (2), Avelione, Hare, McInnes, Renshaw

Savojarna
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Savojarna » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:06 am

SavojarSports.sj - inside reports from all Savojarna
Maersk and Referee spark discussion

Troubalose (Pasarga) - Four days after the spectacular eight-goal affair against Schottia, the Northlights of Savojarna delighted their fans yet again with a spectacular 2-3 against Eastfield Lodge. The Savojars had gotten off to a fast start, taking an early offensive stance and pushing Eastfield Lodge back into their own half. The Eastfielders did a good job in withstanding the attack thanks to a brilliant Korbin Harvey in goal saving multiple high-risk shots from the Savojars. They slowly began launching counters as well, putting Savojarna seriously on the back foot for the first time a bit after a quarter of an hour into the game. The Doctor broke through the advanced central midfield and found Accardi right as she swung inside, but Omark blocked her harshly and was credited with a tactical foul, and thus a yellow card. It would only be the first of many contested refereeing decisions, but more on that later.

The goals came for the Savojars shortly after, courtesy of Mikhail Jashkin's amazing dribble skills on the right wing. Faking a cut to the inside, he lured Nagi off the line and broke through on the right, close to the touchline, before sending a laser-guided cross right onto the head of Freya Sigurdsdottir. The tall Ejanan was not contained sufficiently by the back three of Eastfield Lodge, connecting perfectly to Jashkin's cross and nodding it into the net past a stunned Harvey. The second goal came off a free kick conceded by Vallois Mackenzie. Voynov had played a surprising pass to the advanced Hoyberg, catching Mackenzie offguard as the defender had expected Voynov to go through himself. His tackle was ever so slightly late, and he knocked Hoyberg off his feet to see a yellow and a free kick conceded. Krister Voynov, star of the team and Player of the Match against Schottia, lined up for a shot from about 25 metres out, and sunk it beautifully in the nearside corner after just dipping it over the wall. Savojarna took a two-goal lead into the break, confident to get the second victory off their closest competitors.

After half-time, the Eastfielders came out with a tactical change, bringing in box-to-box player Jennifer Farrow instead of Jeremiah-Dockson to increase their offensive firepower and help finding their way out of the back. Manager Jane Williamson correctly identified the lack of connection between the defence and the offence as the weak point of her team, and with Farrow on field, they could mount more dangerous counters as she could provide that connection. However, it continued to be Savojarna that pressed forward, and after a cut between Nagi and Carr-Ponce, Jashkin had just about missed the knockout blow as his shot grazed the post. Shortly after, Farrow proved effective and brought about the turn. Her dribble past the advanced Hoyberg led to Savojarna's defences swimming, and no Savojar to secure their back. Loading the ball off to Eastfielder playmaker The Doctor, she had done her job. Now, the Timelord found the gap in Savojarna's defence to send Raquel Accardi down into the box to finish the job in a one-on-one with Petrova.

With the game wide open again, and Savojarna looking towards defences a bit more, the most contentious and confusing scene of the competition occurred. It began with an attack on the left side by Lars Jensen, and a pass in the deep to Voynov which was intercepted by Nagi. Nagi continued to collide with the Russian, who fell to the ground together with the Eastfielder. The referee gave a free kick to Eastfield Lodge, considering Voynov to have charged into Nagi unnecessarily and dragged him down in the process. Nagi then went to talk to the referee - according to Voynov and the nearby Karjanen, to clarify that the two collided out of control and that he had knocked the ball over the goal line. While we have no way of knowing that, the confusion on Nagi's face when the referee apparently was not in the mood for fair play and showed him a yellow card confirms the idea. Karjanen, in his function as Savojar captain, took the Eastfielder's side - and was promptly carded as well, before the referee awarded the free kick to Eastfield Lodge.

The scene was described afterwards by Karjanen as "highly confusing". The captain reported as follows: "I don't really know what was going on, honestly. I heard that Nagi said he didn't think he was fouled and it was a common collision. The referee then shook his head and signalled the free kick again, Nagi frowned and said that it should really be a corner, and the next thing I heard was the referee saying that he made the decisions and he saw a foul. And then the yellow was there. I think it was really unfair and petty, and so I said that we thought it was fine if he thinks it was a free kick, but that all Nagi was trying to do was to uphold fair play. The ref said that you're not supposed to talk back and he was to take the decision, and next thing I know I have a card in my face". Savojar coach Olaf Jurtanen also was not happy with the decision, stating that it was perhaps the weirdest way in which he ever saw a player being carded.

It didn't seem to disturb the Eastfielders' flow much. Pushing down more and more, the Savojars barely got out of their half again, and it was Swift Curse who proved to be both swift and a curse for the Savojars. She broke down the defence on her side after Nurkanen had lost a ball without need, and was beyond reach for Andersson despite his best attempts to drift wide. From the goal line, she shot a sharp flat cross to the middle for Destiny Blair to pounce upon, and despite Petrova's best attempts the ball was unreachable for her as Blair sent it into the goal against Petrova's movement direction. But Savojarna's so far unsung heroine would emerge now in the person of Victoria Maersk. Remarkable so far especially due to her short height (at 157 cm, she is by far the shortest Savojar player), she had been a relevant but not spectacular part of the women's team who won the Copa four years prior. In Savojarna's unified team, she did not get beyond the role of a utility sub.

Today, she got to make a case for herself as Maersk was the one to carry the ball through in the final minutes. Sending it down the line to Jashkin proved to be the right call as Jashkin's quality of finding the right man was important here. The winger played back to Perttu Karjanen, who prodded for the opening. But upon seeing an Eastfielder sliding into his prepared shot, he managed to call it off in time and take a step before playing a seemingly reckless side pass into open space. It was just surprising enough for the Eastfielders to not react in time, while Maersk was running up to the ball fast. A strong shot out of full speed to the top left side found its way into the corner, and brought Savojarna the crucial three points. With Maersk making waves and being elected Player of the Match, she will get some much needed publicity as her role as a player after the dissolution of the professional women's league in favour of the new integrated SFS is unclear. Many Savojar, and perhaps international, teams will be happy to pick up this box-to-box midfielder.

Eastfield Lodge 2-3 Savojarna (0-2)
Fire Park, Troubalose, 60'672 spectators

GOALS: 23' Sigurdsson 0-1 (Jashkin). 41' Voynov 0-2. 57' Accardi 1-2 (The Doctor). 77' Blair 2-2 (Swift Curse). 86' Maersk 2-3 (Karjanen).
YELLOW CARDS:16' Omark, 40' Mackenzie (both foul), 61' Nagi, 61' Karjanen (both complaint), 88' Metanov (foul).
REMARKS: 53' Jashkin hit post.

Eastfield Lodge: Harvey - Carr-Ponce, von Kraus, Mackenzie - Nagi, Jeremiah-Dockson (46' Farrow), Dad - Cousin (59' Swift Curse), The Doctor, Accardi - Murray (68' Blair).
Savojarna: Petrova - Jensen, Omark (82' Metanov), Kjaer, Nurkanen (59' Arjonsson) - Andersson, Hoyberg (74' Maersk) - Voynov, Jashkin - Sigurdsdottir, Karjanen
Last edited by Savojarna on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MT socialist (mostly) island state - Cultural mixture of Scandinavia, Finland and Russia -Exports iron, steel, silver and wood - Low fantasy in terms of animal species - Sports-loving - 22.8 million inhabitants.

The adjective is Savojar; Savojarnan is not a word!
I am a student of (European) politics, ice hockey fan, left-wing communist bordering on anarchy, and European federalist. Enjoy!

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:56 pm

No one had doubted for a second that the match against Eura was going to be a tough one. But to lose by the scoreline that they did took its toll on the morale of the All Greens. Manager Rabbie Travers responded by shaking things up. Travers was in part forced to do so: star center midfielder Abraham Cardoso was serving a one match suspension for his sending off against Eura and Skylar Hurst was out with soreness in his lower back.

The changes led Darmen to respond well in their second match, winning 2-1 against a Falkyr side that could not be taken lightly. Cardoso's replacement, Víedharr Svendsen ran roughshod through the midfield throughout the match, completing key passes and assisting both goals on his way to winning Player of the Match.

The first goal for Darmen came in the 24th minute as Brian Firmin, standing in for the resting Hurst, received a pass from Svendsen, shoved his way past Falkyr's Dan Vollan and showed up Bronimir Smolarek. Following a Falkyr goal in response about ten minutes later, Darmen would score the winning goal in a flash as the second half kicked off. Craig Blackwood sent his kickoff to the left wing, just slightly ahead of the halfway line. It was Svendsen who took the kickoff at full tilt, blasting past Falkyr's first line of defense on his way down the touchline. Down the center of the pitch, Blackwood was following along, unmarked due to the Falconian focus on Svendsen. When Falkyr finally responded, Svendsen stopped his forward progress, pulled the ball back to his right foot and slid a perfect pass to Blackwood at the top of the 18. Not a single Falconian defender was within ten yards of Blackwood and he scored his 61st international goal with confidence and ease. The rest of the second half passed with Darmen's defense playing superbly, while in attack their were a few missed chances on the part of the All Greens.

With the match against Eura hopefully learnt from but otherwise forgotten and the Falconians dispatched in a comfortable manner, the Askari Union steps forward as the All Greens' next hurdle. On the one hand, Darmen is to be considered the better team, with the All Greens being the better ranked of the two sides. On the other hand, the Askari had bested the All Greens' in their only two meetings: 0-1 in the 27th Copa Rushmori, and 1-2 in the 28th Copa Rushmori. Further, both of those matches had taken place in Pasarga. History is not on the side of the Darmenis.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Nephara
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephara » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:51 pm

Nephara 5 - 3 Cassadaigua
(4-4-2) 1 - Mercator; 2 - Sanger, 5 - Thorn, 6 - Brosch, 3 - Close (c); 7 - Kuepper, 4 - Shone, 21 - Moxham (8 - Chalk 78'), 11 - Strongbow; 9 - Hawke, 17 - Bastable
Goals: Bastable 20', Hawke 36' 76', Kuepper 54', Moxham 61'

"Hey. Hey. Essi."
She was doing her virtue-signalling thing. Hawke could be bitchy in her own way, a passive-aggressive kinda well-mannered way. Take her off when the team needed a goal, eh? Well, she'll just--
"Essi. Fuck's sake. Go home."
-- just do her self-conscious 'first man at training, last man out' thing. Here she was, sweating her tits off under the fading Pasargan sun. Yeah, you'd better believe we milked that weather for all it had as an excuse. Wouldn't fly twice, probably.
She shook her head. Some ball-girl had been conscripted to operate one of those automatic shooter... things. Having the time of her life. Ka-chunk! Hawke rises, cranes her neck, slams a header past some other giggling Pasargan kid. This was great PR, but I don't know if it was a great use of her time.
"Swear to God," I muttered passive-aggressively. I kept at it a bit longer, but she wouldn't hear a word of it. She was gonna go on her crusade, as if a few more headers past a random local kid was gonna put her name any more on the teamsheet come the next match. Or make her any younger, for that matter. Might just make her older if she fell wrong and twisted an ankle, though...
Don't get me wrong. I work hard as hell. But you've got to draw the line somewhere, or your body's gonna give way under you.
Eventually, I gave up and left. But maybe not before taking one shot I shouldn't've. "You know," I said, with my trademark wit, "the problem with you, Essi? You find trouble, you draw in on yourself. Never occurs to you you got mates to watch for you."
"That's not true," she said, which sounds weak on paper considering the glare she was shooting me.
"That you ain't got mates?"
"No, that--"
"See, that's why you ain't got the armband any more, Essi! That's why I do!"
Ohh. That was her soft spot. And don't you know it, I had me an audience, with Arista Tzorvas watching on mutely from behind me. She was pretty new to the whole set-up, so I guess now she was finding out some of its underlying tensions.
Hawke didn't say anything, not for a bit. Just kinda shook.
Okay, so that left the impetus on your boy Marcin to move forward. So I did, by moving backwards. Away, towards the hotel.
I asked Arista later. Apparently Hawke was down there two more hours, seething the whole damn time.

I don't remember the game so great. I mean, honestly, I went off the pitch figuring it was 6-3. I think maybe I didn't process one of Hawke's goals was chalked off for a foul or an offside or something, I don't get a great view of these things from fucking leftback. Not this game, where there was plenty of defending to do.
Fuck-all happened in the first or last fifteen minutes, either. This was just an hour of two good teams beating the living shit out of each other.
Great hour if you weren't a defender. Unfortunately...
In fairness, I got in my fair share of contribution. In the positive sense. And I don't mean to suggest like the whole time it was Rachel Brenner tap-dancing on my head. I clipped her wings plenty of times. Enough times I got a booking, the first one of the game, for all I bitched at the referee. Which meant I was out against Saint Michel. Hey, it'd be a handy excuse to see the newish kid in serious action.
And it was my cross for our first goal. Low-percentage? Bullshit. Not with Hawke standing tall like the Tower of Babel, rising to pierce the heavens, to thunder down a header into the waiting masses, between which Bastable slipped, skidded and slashed the ball across the line mid-knee slide.
I can get poetic when I really want to.
Ranucci punched us in the teeth with a forceful little header of her own, one Mercator got an almost-strong-enough hand to. Then, hell, it stopped being easy to keep track. I think Hawke got her offside goal here, I know the linesman raised a flag when Strongbow played her through, but that wasn't about to stop her. Nor was Brosch's overzealous wrestling match with the sneaky Schanke, a constant threat, for a penalty which became Ranucci's second. Again, Hesterine got a hand to it. Tipped it onto the post. The inside. It still scored. Just wasn't her day, really.
Hawke still wasn't gonna be stopped. I played in Moxham, Moxham slid her in through the line, she was well onside this time, held back Shanley, chopped inside and hammered the ball into the top corner.
So we were set going into half-time, until we weren't. Set pieces! Again! Shanley got her own back, taking advantage when Enriquez kidney-punched Roxi Thorn, and we bitched plenty about that to the ref. Brosch took a caution for it, and it probably would've been worse had he heard what she said the moment his back was turned.
Strauss wasn't happy at half-time, for good reason. 3-2 down? Yeah, her contract wasn't worth the PDF it was signed on if that status quo kept.

But the handy thing about scoring twice in a half is you get confident you can get three in the second. So after Strauss glared at us and Johansen shouted at us, we got back out there and proceeded to go back to what we did best; balancing fluid, fast-paced attacking play with being massive, massive cunts.
Marica Kuepper was first. Marica was having a fucking brilliant game, laying down her case for replacing Saroszi, being somewhat less of a disciplinary liability. The goal was what she deserved, and it was a beauty - finding a little space before finding the top corner. Again. Had to feel bad for Kelsey Morgan in goal.
She mostly had only herself to blame for the ultimate winner, though. Moxham mazed through space, Kuepper - I think - found her, Moxham did something on the right - I was pretty far off, can you tell? - and smashed it at goal. According to Moxham, it was a brilliant strike that found the far top corner at a narrow angle. According to basically everyone else, Morgan put up both her hands and the ball went straight through them. So it was powerful, at least.
I don't go back and watch highlights that don't involve me.
But Hawke wasn't done. I thought I'd done her a brilliant service, yet another cross from yours truly, whipped in after Strongbow - don't think her peripheral just 'cause she didn't crop up much - made me all the space in the world before playing a forward ball to me, and all I had to do while hurtling madly towards the touchline was hack the ball across the area. I did, before my momentum took me out of control, and I had to hurdle the hoardings to keep my knees intact.
About midway through that whole routine, about a third of the crowd started cheering. I turned back and Hawke was celebrating. Not coming to me, of course, as I hooked myself back over the ad for... for faster Wi-fi, or whatever it was. No, she was doing the 'look at me' stand-in-place looking stern thing while everyone flooded onto her and Dagans looked sad.
What I said at the time, as Strongbow came over, was "ungrateful bitch." But, really, we all know I was happy and supportive, right?
WCC Grand Slam champion.

Trans-Dniesters
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trans-Dniesters » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:33 pm

ПРИДНЕСТРОВСКАЯ ЦЕНТРАЛЬНАЯ НОВОСТИ АГЕНЦИЯ
PRIDNESTROVSKAYA TSENTRALNAYA NOVOSTI AGENTSIYA
PRIDNESTROVIAN CENTRAL NEWS AGENCY

SCORING STRUGGLES SURFACE AGAIN FOR PRIDNESTROVIA IN COPA RUSHMORI XXXIII

By Gustav Tyumenov

Akhmet Davidov of the Pridnestrovian men's national football team celebrates after scoring the equalizer for the Red Army against Taeshan in the first round of the 33rd Copa Rushmori.

STEIN-LOS, PASARGA -The Pridnestrovian men's national football team's well-publicized struggles to score goals in international competition has reared its ugly head once again in the 33rd Copa Rushmori as the Red Army has so far managed to score only one goal for the entirety of the tournament.

Most of the blame for this problem has fallen squarely on the lap of one Gaetano Bernardeschi, the current trainer of the Pridnestrovian men's national football team. Bernardeschi has developed a reputation in his native Abanhfleft of being an exclusively defense-minded manager, and while this approach has certainly proved successful in keeping the clubs that he has managed in his career safe from the clutches of relegation, many are not convinced that his style is the right one for the Red Army. Bohuslav Gavrilyuk, himself a former Pridnestrovian international, has taken upon himself the position of Bernardeschi's biggest critic, railing into the Fleftic manager following a nil-all draw against the Nellietopia Enclave earlier.

Former Pridnestrovian national team player Bohuslav Gavrilyuk has been a vocal critic of Gaetano Bernardeschi since the latter's appointment as the Red Army's manager.

"There's no urgency in this team, none at all," Gavrilyuk stated on the Pridnestrovian Football show on PTsNA. "Bernardeschi has turned them all into scaredy-cats who would rather pack the box with ten defenders than take the game to the opponents. It's not that they're afraid to attack; they just don't want to do it. This is an absolute shame for Pridnestrovian football. It's an absolute letdown for all of the Pridnestrovian people. We are currently watching the process of our team being turned into a shadow of itself. This latest draw against Nellietopia just seals it. Only one shot at goal, and it wasn't even on target? Enough of this! If the PFS [Pridnestrovian Football Union] knows what's good for the sport in our country, Bernardeschi will be on the way out after this Copa."

At face value, it seems as Gavrilyuk may have a point. Barring the 29th Copa Rushmori where Pridnestrovia managed to make it all the way to second place, goals have not come easy for the Red Army under Bernardeschi. This was especially notable during the current Copa in which the Red Army registered a grand total of only five shots on goal against both Taeshan and Nellietopia Enclave, with only two of them being on target. For a nation whose fanbase has been spoiled for goals by the likes of Peter Schermer, Boyan Radev, Akhmet Davidov, and Adrian Saller, this lack of production on the part of the national team is, admittedly, a bit worrying. "We've got some great strikers, some very great strikers," a fan in Stein-los who was interviewed on condition of anonymity, said to PTsNA after the Nellietopia-Pridnestrovia game. "And I know that Davidov can find goals out of nowhere but the team isn't putting themselves in the scoring situations he needs to score. I don't know where it's going wrong or if the team isn't set up right but we're not doing well at the moment."

On the other hand, there are those who believe that Bernardeschi is still settling into a rhythm and finding the players that can perform in his system. "I believe that Bernardeschi has had to take two steps back after all the international retirements from the national side," Denis Avtushenko stated in an exclusive interview with PTsNA. Avtushenko is well-known for being the man behind the Unofficial PGSL Blog, following Pridnestrovia's top-level gridiron football league, but like most Pridnestrovians his first taste of fandom was with the national team. "The Red Army lost a lot of players coming into this Copa, players who were comfortable with Bernardeschi's defensive style. The players we have right now, they're not yet used to the system. And some might think that we're putting the talent at our disposal to waste, but when Bernardeschi came in for the Cup of Harmony he didn't do well the first time around. And then he almost won the Copa Rushmori right after that. So obviously Gaetano knows what he's doing. It's up to the players to get up to speed with the system."

However, time may be running out for Bernardeschi to make the team adapt to his system once again. After two consecutive campaigns of not advancing beyond the group stage, there is talk that the Pridnestrovian Football Union (PFS) will not offer Bernardeschi a new contract should the national team fail to advance to the playoffs yet again in the 33rd Copa Rushmori. And even if the Red Army does make it into the playoffs, Bernardeschi may not be offered the extension anyway. Pridnestrovia are second in Group B with only two points to their name with a game against leaders Sargossa still remaining. The Red Army must secure all three points against the Corsairs to ensure their passage to the next round of the Copa.
The Democratic People's Republic of the United Socialist States of Pridnestrovia
Leader: President Field Marshal Stepan Stepanovich Stepanenko

Abanhfleft's post-Soviet dictatorship
Rushmore's a good place, да.

Pasarga
Ambassador

Postby Pasarga » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:20 pm

OOC: Apologies for the 24 hour delay. Internet went out yesterday when getting ready to scorinate and wasn't back on by the time I went to bed. Nonetheless, the show must go on, thusly...

Matchday 3

Group A
Olastor 1–2 Crystalline Caverns
Oberour Ar Moro 1–4 Pasarga

P Group A                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Pasarga 3 3 0 0 12 3 +9 9
2 Crystalline Caverns 3 1 1 1 2 4 −2 4*
3 Olastor 3 1 0 2 4 7 −3 3
4 Oberour Ar Moro 3 0 1 2 1 5 −4 1

Group B
Taeshan 2–1 Nellietopia Enclave
Pridnestrovia 0–5 Sargossa

P Group B                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Sargossa 3 3 0 0 10 3 +7 9 Q
2 Taeshan 3 1 1 1 4 4 0 4 Q*

3 Pridnestrovia 3 0 2 1 1 6 −5 2
4 Nellietopia Enclave 3 0 1 2 3 5 −2 1

Group C
Cassadaigua 1–2 Saintland
Saint-Michel 0–5 Nephara

P Group C                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Nephara 3 2 1 0 12 5 +7 7 Q
2 Saintland 3 1 2 0 4 3 +1 5 Q

3 Cassadaigua 3 1 0 2 6 8 −2 3
4 Saint-Michel 3 0 1 2 1 7 −6 1

Group D
Askari Union 2–2 Darmen
Falkyr 3–7 Eura

P Group D                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Eura 3 3 0 0 15 6 +9 9 Q
2 Darmen 3 1 1 1 6 9 −3 4*
3 Askari Union 3 0 2 1 4 5 −1 2
4 Falkyr 3 0 1 2 5 10 −5 1

Group E
Schottia 2–1 Eastfield Lodge
Savojarna 5–1 Nethertopia

P Group E                Pld   W  D  L   GF  GA  GD  Pts 
1 Savojarna 3 3 0 0 13 6 +7 9 Q
2 Schottia 3 2 0 1 11 9 +2 6 Q

3 Eastfield Lodge 3 1 0 2 6 5 +1 3
4 Nethertopia 3 0 0 3 4 14 −10 0

*Taeshan advances on Goal Difference

1 Eura                     3   3  0  0   15   6  +9    9
2 Pasarga 3 3 0 0 12 3 +9 9
3 Savojarna 3 3 0 0 13 6 +7 9
4 Sargossa 3 3 0 0 10 3 +7 9
5 Nephara 3 2 1 0 12 5 +7 7
6 Schottia 3 2 0 1 11 9 +2 6
7 Saintland 3 1 2 0 4 3 +1 5
8 Taeshan 3 1 1 1 4 4 0 4

Quarterfinal Fixtures
Eura v Taeshan @ Stadium of the Sun, Belja
Sargossa v Nephara @ Stadium of the Moon, Lunas
Savojarna v Schottia @ Albrecht Road, Stein-los
Pasarga v Saintland @ Stein-los Stadium, Stein-los
Last edited by Pasarga on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nellietopian Invaders
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Nellietopian Invaders » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:39 am

Perhaps it wasn't to be. Just as quickly as the nellies had come, they were already preparing to leave the adoring crowds in Stein-los. Their next match against Taeshan proved more eventful than the dull bore of the last match, even if they lost by a goal again. There was nothing particularly remarkable about this match. Where the first match was remarkably remarkable and the second was remarkably not, there was nothing for the crowd to genuinely say anything great or awful about the game. It was just a good game, and that suited the crowd very well, given the WOMP! that Sargossa was giving Pridnestrovia. Some felt that justice was done - neither team "deserved" to move on to the next round of the competition, as much as the Nellietopia delegation was adored everywhere they went in Stein-los. There was one street near the Nellie's base camp where children drew on the streets a set purple characters of the nellies following a black-and-white figure (presumably AUK), and a cute yellow duckling following the pack.

This last visage clearly upset Duck - it revealed the hierarchy as others saw it, but quite frankly, he was no follower. He contemplated leaving the camp early, but he knew that would just fit AUK's plans perfectly. Instead of a cute duckling following the pack, there would be no duckling. But he'd already confronted AUK about his quizzical intentions, and that was going no where. AUK had yet to admit that he had nefarious plans for Nellietopia (or even Duck) - and even though he was clearly trying to supplant Duck, he did nothing to actually push him away. In fact, as much as he disliked AUK, AUK seemed to value time and presence, even if that meant dealing with Duck's semi-homicidal habits.

But as the nellies bade farewell to the locals and the new-found fans, Duck couldn't help but admire the work that AUK was doing. He hadn't seen nellies or AFLAC as a cute, friendly neighborly type. He just figured that nellies were gross eight-legged freaks, and AFLAC was the necessary militant force to protect all critters (it's even the mission statement of AFLAC!). How had AUK successfully turned nellies from an annoyance to something valued?!?

"... but as we prepare to leave for our home shores, we must not forget our new friends - and the children! - of Stein-los. To that end, for the hospitality you've shown to us, and the kind folk who have cheered our team through some clear difficulties, we leave you a parting gift - a lifetime supply of Nellie Scout Fortune Cookies!"

As the nellies started raining the streets of Stein-los with the weird little "box" cookies with paper fortunes inside, Duck became alarmed. He quickly approached AUK amid the cheers and tears of the locals. "You do realize that Nellie Scout Fortune Cookies are real? As in those fortunes really come true?"

"Of course."

"And you do realize that those fortunes aren't all so sweet and nice, just the like the cookies?"

"I had the writer of the fortunes make them a little... bland, just so people wouldn't be wondering about the death of a loved one or something sinister." Suddenly, AUK turned to Duck with a great amount of surprise. "Duck! You can't be really concerned about the welfare of these people?"

"Heh. Well, I'm just concerned about the ones that will give people supernatural strength and whatnot..."

"Ah, and here I was imagining you a little more altruistic. Even that might be fantasy, I imagine. But perish the thought - I had the writer pick some nice friendship ones. 'You'll meet a new friend today!' or 'A true friend will always hear your troubles!' or 'Friendship is the best ship to ride on!' or 'The wealth of friends will keep you happy!' or..."

Suddenly, Duck became panicked, shoving AUK and the nearest nellies away from the crowd. "WE NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE NOW!"
Last edited by Nellietopian Invaders on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sargossa
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 08, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Sargossa » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:22 pm

It was a little slice of Candelaria (with a hint of And Marquez) on the southern edge of Oygruppen. The look, the feel, the food and of course the name. Albrecht Road, named for the capital city of that enigmatic nation to the north and west. A neighbour to Sargossa and Pasarga both. Suitably enough Pasargans and Sargossans aplenty were gathered in the stadium in Stein-los. The locals were out in force, as befitted the host nation’s football capital, and large numbers of supporters had made the relatively short journey from the Sargossan archipelago. Swathes of dark blue joined the natives in the stands. With scattered pockets of red and green that marked the presence of enthusiastic visitors from Pridnestrovia.

Out on the pitch the players were readying themselves, the referee was glancing towards the touchline for the signal to begin. TV cameras were getting their customary shots of the two coaches, men who were enjoying slightly different career trajectories at that moment. Rodrigo Defederico was stood, hands on his hips, at the edge of his technical area. The former national team midfielder turned coach was riding the crest of a pretty consistent wave. Three successive appearances in the last sixteen of the World Cup and a historic high for Sargossa in the world rankings meant his position was almost untouchable. Indeed, his bosses were more concerned that the tactician would seek a new challenge in the near future. The same could not be said of his opposite number, the veteran Gaëtano Bernardeschi. The Pridnestrovia coach was having his position questioned back home. Questions that arose from a dour style of play that, fatally, had thus far been unable to grind out results. He needed a big performance.

He like many others may have been caught unawares by the side he faced. With the cushion of qualification having already been assured there was no surprise that Defederico had shuffled his pack (ten changes in fact), but a total change in formation was unexpected. Sargossa had lined up in a 4-2-3-1 system. Experienced keeper Carlos Ríos was brought in between the sticks. Josué Ruiz partnered Hugo Galán in the centre of defence, with Edmundo Sánchez coming in on the left and Carlos Carter keeping his place on the right. Esteban Pomar returned to the middle of the park to play alongside debutant Adrián Fonseca. Ahead of them the points of a midfield trident were formed by Andrés Saavedra, Mauro Pereira and Matías Cáceres. While Fabián Guzmán led the line.

The lone frontman had a point to prove, having been a regular starter in the World Cup campaign, but the start for Saavedra was the one that had captured the imagination back home. The mercurial winger had long been considered one of the most gifted players of his generation, staring in the SuperLiga for smaller sides but seemingly unable to fulfil his full potential when making a move to one of the big boys. A relatively anonymous spell at Sporting San Marquez was followed by an unhappy eighteen months in Soluca with Ciudad. Now, happy at Estrella Torreón, he was once again tying defenders in knots. And once again came the calls for his international inclusion. Unfortunately for Saavedra, and all other wingers, the national team was a wingback friendly zone. To include Saavedra on a regular basis would entail either forcing a square peg into a round hole or a complete change in tactical shape. Neither of which Defederico was willing to do. So, a few cameo appearances off the bench aside, he was a little seen figure for the national team. Until now.

And duly it was Saavedra he teed up the opener, bamboozling Yevgeniy Tatarinov before drifting in a gift of a ball for Guzmán to head past Ferdinand Abbing. If Bernardeschi thought conceding would light a fire in his side he was sadly mistaken. Ten minutes later Abbing was picking the ball out of his net again. Pereira’s corner was nodded on at the near post by Galán and bundled in at the far by Ruiz. After the far too narrow victory over the Nellies in the opening round of matches Defederico had spoken of the need for his side to be more ruthless. Signs of that had been seen against Taeshan, as the side mercilessly targeted teenage keeper Florian Wagner. Every opportunity to get the ball into the box saw a wicked in-swinger wiped in right on top of the goalkeeper. And it was a fluffed catch that led to the opening goal in that fixture.

Against Pridnestrovia there was no let up. At the coach’s instigation the ball was pinged around with purpose, bisecting the defence minded opposition with the pace of passing. Guzmán made it three with a first-time finish from Cáceres’ ball from the right before Saavedra turned provider again, cutting a pass back for Mauro Pereira to sweep in. The Estrella Torreón attacker duly concluded a man-of-the-match performance with a delicate chipped finish from the corner of the penalty area to make it five. He received a warm ovation as he came off, replaced by Esteban Leguizamo. Cáceres too made way, in a swap with Daniel Correa, and Enrique Muñoz took the place of Carlos Carter. Perhaps the changes took some of the impetus out of the fixture as the remaining minutes ticked away with much incident.

Three more points ensured the Corsairs advanced to the quarter finals with a perfect record. But football is a fickle game so they actually advanced, despite being the first nation in the tournament assured of a spot in the last eight, as the ‘worst’ of the hundred percent club. Ensuring a much trickier quarter final fixture. At the press conference prior to the Pridnestrovia match Rodrigo Defederico was asked if he had any preference as to a quarter final opponent. ‘I’d quite like to avoid Nephara’ was his response. So there was a grim inevitability that, when the dust settled, Corsairs and Cormorants would face off again. And off the back of a World Cup collapse a wounded Nephara could be more dangerous than ever. Particularly as it was Sargossa that inflicted one of those wounds in Equestria.

Given the strength of this performance there will be inevitable calls to stick with the side that achieved it but there’s little chance of Defederico doing that. It’ll be straight back to a 5-3-2 with the usual suspects all back in the starting eleven. Although Fabián Guzmán is expected to keep his place, at the expense of Diego Alejandro Costa, and the experienced Luíz Vazquez will likely come in for Esteban Pomar.
Champions: Cup of Harmony 41 / Di Bradini Cup 13 / Copa Rushmori V / Copa Rushmori XIV / Copa Rushmori XX / Copa Rushmori XXXVIII / Copa Rushmori XXXIX
Sargossa at the Olympics

" . . . those dictatorship-loving thundertwats . . ."

Schottia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schottia » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:00 am

SBCNEWS Online...
Football special - Copa Rushmori

One would imagine that Raven Cullen will be pretty pleased with her first three games in charge of the Schottia team. The Brenecian’s appointment took far longer than expected, but two years after the initial approach, the SFA finally got their woman. Following what was a painful experience in Schottia’s previous Copa Rushmori outing - where they reached the last eight, but only managed two goals in normal time – the hope was that Cullen would rekindle the side’s attacking flair.

Based on the current evidence, there is probably some room for optimism, as eleven goals in three games have seen Schottia navigate their way safely through the group phase in Pasarga, as one of the highest runners up. Other than a leaky centre of defence (which we already identified as a problem area) the only blot on Cullen’s copybook so far was a 5-3 defeat to recent champs, Savojarna. The management team seem to have hit on a formation that works, and have most certainly benefited from the strength and depth that they have in midfield. What’s more, Connie Martel-Burns has played all three games so far, and with four goals and only one yellow card to her name, that has to be seen as an improvement.

While the Auks failed to contain Savojar sensation, Krister Voynov, in the opening match, the side will have indeed taken heart from the way they fought for the full ninety minutes, and put three goals past one of the sides much fancied for the tournament. Jack Avelione continued to impress in a white and green jersey, while Bánach and Luna looked lively in the centre of midfield. There was also a first appearance in six years for Rosie Donaldson, who put in a strong twenty minutes after replacing Bronte in the holding role.

A plucky performance counts for nothing though, especially when you concede five goals in the process, and as they took on Nethertopia, it was already must win. Cullen made one change to the starting eleven, with young centre-half, Joel Kamara, coming in for Grant Carlin, who really struggled in against Savojarna. With Martel-Burns and Avelione putting the side two goals up inside the opening fifteen minutes, you would have been forgiven for thinking Schottia might have been in for an easy ride. It wasn’t to be the case however, as some more slack defending saw them head up the tunnel with the scores level at half time. Fortunately Schottia got their act together in the second half, with Cullen’s players scoring four more as they finished the game strongly. A major positive for the team will be the impact made by Kelly McInnes, who got on the score sheet after replacing a tiered looking Avelione with fifteen minutes to go. The A-League star took her goal well, and looked a handful for much of the game, prompting calls for Cullen to accommodate her in the starting eleven.

Going into the match with Eastfield Lodge Schottia knew that anything other than a win against the former Champions would mean failure to qualify. Jane Williamson side had started their campaign with an impressive 3-0 win over Nethertopia, before pushing Savojarna hard in the second match, and were likely to give this rusty Schottia side a tough game. For a third match running, Schottia came out the blocks quickly, with Reay Cnocstanger and Jack Avelione pressing in the wide areas. The madness of reinstating Martel-Burn was also beginning to look like a risk worth taken, as the Directus striker found the target yet again, drilling the ball low past Korbin Harvey from the edge of the area. As expected there was a quick response from the Eastfielders who enjoyed the lion’s share of possession at the start of the second half. Nya Murray tested the reflexes of Ed Lorrey, and Martel-Burns was luck to escape a red card after a late lunge on The Doctor, as the pressure began to mount. With the momentum stacked against them, it will have come as little surprise that Schottia found themselves pegged bag, as substitute, Jennifer Farrow, saw her distance effort deflected home. Schottia managed to rally, however, and with Avelione pushed into the striker’s role, Kelly McInnes was able to work some of her magic down the left. Combining with fellow substitute, Mirka Shitakuari, the pair showed great vision to set up Camila Soria Luna for what was to be the winning goal.

With qualification secured (as well as Cullen’s job for the WCQs at least), Schottia had a rematch with Savojarna at Albrecht Road to look forward to. The Auks will not go in as favourites, and a lot will come down to their ability to keep things tight at the back. Scoring goals in Cullen’s free flowing system hasn’t been a problem, but with an inexperienced back four, Schottia will need to be wary.

There’s been a lot of talk around the Multiverse, regarding the jaw-dropping AOCAF Cup draw this year, but with four former World Cup winners in the Rushmori quarters, we’re not looking too shabby either. Eura, Pasarga, Savojarna and Sargossa all had flawless runs to the knockouts, and it’s likely to be a close run thing. With home advantage, the host are probably marginal favourites, but top seeds Eura and Sargossa cannot be overlooked.

Schottia 2–1 Eastfield Lodge @ Fire Park 62,000
Line-up: Lorrey, Corello (Hordern), McGillivray, Hare, Kamara, Bronte, Donaldson (Mirka), Soria Luna, Cnocstanger, Avelione, Martel-Burns (McInnes)
Goals: Martel-Burns, Soria Luna

Nephara
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nephara » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Saint Michel 0 - 5 Nephara
(4-4-2) 1 - Mercator; 2 - Sanger, 5 - Thorn (c), 6 - Brosch (22 - Anderson 79'), 19 - Katarec; 7 - Kuepper, 15 - Aschenbach, 21 - Moxham (8 - Chalk 62'), 16 - Deventer; 9 - Hawke (14 - Tzorvas 62'), 10 - Metzger
Goals: Kuepper 17', Deventer 32', Moxham 44' 58', Tzorvas 81'

It's always Sargossa! Why is it always Sargossa?

Let me begin less sensationally. Let's start in the stands, suspension enforced, against Saint Michel. Let's start with Sander Katarec doing his little audition to take my spot, the little scrote.
I'm joking. Of course. Sander's great. We all love Sander, here.
Inevitably, I was sharing my exile with Tawny Shone. The Moths' favourite homegrown hatchet-woman was chewing through a bag of... I guess they were sunflower seeds or something. Little Cosumarite habit she'd picked up from her teammate, Zoe Aedelbrandt, she told me.
Tawny has a lot of issues and we broadly agree she's a terrible person. But she eats with her mouth shut, at least.
"Hesterine's gonna be happy. Clean sheet. She'd been bitching about her record, about getting fucked like Ballard did back in the day."
"Sheet's not clean yet- hup!" Their attacking trident, Fuechs, Grimard and Geiszler, were the three playing abroad in Kita-Hinode. They were the three to watch out for. I craned my neck, watching Sanger mostly close down a cross from Geiszler, deflecting off her thigh and approximately to Grimard, who twisted to send the ball miles high and wide and was lucky to get that much on it.
Geiszler had been the biggest danger, but Sanger was having a great game keeping him contained. Mostly.
At the other end, our midfielders were running rampant. Chimera Moxham was having a Christmas-come-early day, and sulked when she got taken off before the chance of a hat-trick. Two goals she'd taken that looked basically the same, both just spinning madly past defenders and skimming a low strike from the edge of the area, and she'd set up Deventer for a far-post tap-in after a proper screamer from Kuepper had opened proceedings.
Arista got a run-out towards the end. Sander clipped a speculative high cross into the box, and the big lass just towered over everyone to head in. 5-0 up and she celebrated like we were winning the World Cup. Well, it was her first real goal that mattered. Hard to blame her too much.

So that was done and dusted, our place confirmed. Still in Eura's shadow. Still not wholly convincing. Every othre group winner had sailed through without dropping a point. But it just felt good to be winning again.
And it would be Sargossa next, inevitably. A team that had serious history with us. A team that knew how to hurt us. Recently, too.
One suspected a repeat performance could still mean Strauss' job. After, what, twenty matches? The game's gone. Still, it's a results business, in Nephara more than anywhere else.
Maybe that was why Klein was gone. She maybe would not have been so sad to see the back of the gaffer. Not something I could air openly. Malachi Chalk was the kind of guy who'd take it as a slight.

Tawny blamed specially warmed balls for the draw, before someone told her it was made based on results.
Tawny's not stupid, not by any means. She Who Shall Not Be Named thought she was, but nah. She's just got no filter and a persecution complex.

Something strange happened as I was heading towards bed. I'm probably the earliest bird of the squad.
I passed by Morena Deventer's room and heard... chanting, I guess. I'm also the snoopiest bitch in the squad, so naturally I pushed the door. Gently. Just enough to peek in.
Deventer was there in some kind of ... of weird gypsy getup. Which fit her being a weird gypsy, but still. Sat in front of a table, surrounded by a lot of candles, a lot of green and a lot of dry-ice looking smoke. There were maybe four guys in the table with her, couldn't tell exactly who - the physio, I think?
The air seemed cold. In a bad way.
Like most Nepharim, I don't put my hand up and say, yeah, I believe in magic. Like most Nepharim, I know that you don't tempt fate with it, either. You have your talismans passed down through your family, maybe you have an old witchy aunt who can make some for you herself. You collect stones that speak out to you from the path. You get your fortune told once or twice and pretend it's all just vague coincidences.
And sometimes you shut down your curiosity, and you don't stray off the path.
I shut the door, a little louder than I meant to, and slept surprisingly soundly. There was bad mojo in the air, but despite everything I trusted Morena not to fuck things up. Maybe I'd ask, if I felt brave enough.
Doubt I would.
WCC Grand Slam champion.

Eura
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eura » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:02 pm

The worst time to concede is in the few minutes before half time. That's what every single Euran footballer and coach has had drilled into them, practically since birth. Its one of those truisms that everyone accepts without really thinking about it, along with the golden rule of never performing a substitution when defending a corner, and never shooting from a free kick if its more than forty yards out. This rule had been clearly in force during Eura's win over Askari Union. Bixente Lalonde's own goal prior to the half time stoppage had taken the pressure off Eura, allowing them to take control in the second half, grab another through Dion Underwood and ride out the remainder of the game despite a Ravanna Ballarin consolation. Some might say that rules are meant to be broken of course; a wonky argument bound to only be invoked when convenient. Yet Eura would have to hope the rules didn't apply to them this time around. Against Falkyr they had just conceded two goals right at the end of the first half, leaving them level at 2-2, and neither of the goals were pretty from a Euran perspective. Michael Brandon was justifiably steaming under his blue and gold baseball cap.

A rotated Eura team operating a narrow 4-4-2 formation came into the game already qualified for the next round but Brandon had demanded they treat it like the other two matches, a must win fixture. The players accepted this. Places in the first time might be on the line. They played like it for over half an hour, dominating possession and creating numerous chances against the already eliminated Falkyr. Dagmar Nilsson's team looked overwhelmed. Bronimir Smolarek saw plenty of action in the Falkyr net, thriving in goal and saving from Underwood and John Fletcher up front several times. Smolarek's efforts looked to be in vain however - behind the strikers the attacking midfield pairing of Moira Woakes and Rhys Griffiths were running riot. Woakes got the first goal with a sublime finish after making Greta Nurmi look foolish with a nutmeg, then Griffiths set up Frank Bevan with an irresistible run and cut back to make it two. Eura then killed the pace ahead of the break, expecting to see the time out comfortably. Instead they threw away their advantage. Imriška Grahn nodded in from a corner, unmarked, Falkyr's first shot on target. Their second shot on target was hit well by Irene Andréasson, but not so well that it should have squirmed through the fingers of Ryan Bull like it did. It was so rare for the Brinemouth man to start and he had blown it quite spectacularly.

Nobody took responsibility at half time. That's what riled up Brandon most of all. He was getting much more Nepharim than usual in his team talk, making the group know exactly what he thought of their ten minute joyride and its impact on the game. A change would have to be made immediately to demonstrate that he was not joking when he said pre-tournament that every player was "on a knife edge" following Eura's recent travails in World Cup qualifying. Any bad form would be punished. John Talbot, Bevan's midfield partner and a stalwart of the current generation Euran team, was hauled off unceremoniously for Monica Rowland. Talbot was deeply unhappy at the call. He felt scapegoated, and told Brandon exactly how he felt about it. The manager was having none of it and just like that the international career of John Talbot appeared to be finished. It was Brandon's chosen agent of change, the unstoppable Rowland, Eura's "Raging Bull" as she'd been dubiously nicknamed by the press, who would be relied upon to lead the team out of this hole. It was no secret that Scott Coles obvious successor as captain was already being warmed up for the role. Falkyr presented a fresh opportunity for Rowland to stake her claim to the captaincy in the long term.

Kicking off at the start of the second half, Eura attempted the same move they had successfully pulled off at the start of the Darmen game, ending with a Brian Bond goal. Unfortunately John Fletcher is not Brian Bond. Not yet, anyway. However his mishit shot was a warning sign of what was to come for Falkyr, who at this stage may have begun to regret coming out of their shell and abandoning their default defensive posture. Eura turned up the pressure again just as they had done for the first half hour and it quickly told. A patient move to build up towards the goal ended with Woakes rolling the ball in with ease from a tricky Ben Hall pass through several defenders. Minutes later Dan Vollan attempted to prevent Rowland from wrestling the ball off him on the edge of the box, after she'd closed him down aggressively while trying to clear. She won the ball, turned away from him and towards goal, and the Falkyr defender made the critical mistake of lunging in to prevent her getting away. He got it all wrong, missing the ball and bringing her down inside the box rather than outside it. Vollan controversially escaped with a yellow. Eura were compensated with a cool Underwood finish from the penalty spot to give them a commanding 4-2 lead.

Once again Brandon's decision to persuade the former Nephara captain to abandon her former nation had proven to be the best one of his reign so far. She turned provider again for the fifth by slipping a ball through for Griffiths to run on to. The Revolutionaries midfielder hurtled forward to meet the through ball and took a shot at an angle which Smolarek couldn't keep out. It was unfair on the Falkyr keeper that he now had to pick the ball out of his net for a fifth time. He'd made nine saves! His mirth was visible when it became six for Eura, one for Sabrefell Moths right back Jon Haines to remember as he scored a cracking goal from twenty yards, fired in from an angle and so perfectly in the corner that Smolarek had little to no chance of saving it. Vollan had pulled out of a tackle at the last moment allowing Haines the moment he needed to shoot, prompting his overdue substitution in favour of Ilona Nilsen. There would be a further consolation for Falkyr which was the source of some frustration for Eura. Grahn was played through by substitute Katharina Kristoffersen as the Euran defence stopped to appeal belatedly for an offside. Grahn dinked the ball over Bull as he charged out and celebrated while the Euran's remonstrated with the officials, only ceasing to do so when Rowland had a word in their ears. Replays showed Grahn had been onside and the linesman had got it right.

Pundits on various television networks and no doubt a few fans at home were slightly bemused by Eura's unhappy reaction to the allowance of a goal that would make no difference to the outcome of the match. Brandon was not. It was exactly the kind of response he needed out of these players and also reinforced his view that Rowland needed to form the centre of his project. Underwood, her friend from Bastion, was not a player of the future. He had however played well again, giving Brandon a selection dilemma. The same could be said of the fantastic performances of Woakes, Griffiths, Bevan and Dean Steele, the only defender to look truly solid in this game. Steele almost got on the scoresheet with a beamed header from a free kick that slapped against the bar hard enough to make it shake. Instead Eura's seventh and final goal would arrive in the penultimate minute of the game from a more predictable source. Two substitutes combined, Dean Sharp and Harry Humphreys, to make it 7-3. Humphrey's crossed in to the box from deep and looked to have under-hit it. Sharp improvised, stooping low to skillfully flick the ball slightly upwards and leftwards at the near post, eight yards out. It flew in to the top left hand corner leaving Smolarek once again completely helpless. Falkyr had worked hard only to be outmatched by Eura in the end. A few players had played big roles in making sure that was the story of this game, most of all Eura's two most prominent female players. If anyone in Euran football had shown that rules were made to be broken, it was them.
Last edited by Eura on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United Federation of Eura - Sporting achievements
Champions: WC66, WC73, CR23, CR27, CR34, CoH 85, Market Cup I, Next Generation Trophy, Gold Medal (Mens Football) Olympics IX
Runner up: WC60, WC72, WC78, CR16, CR20, CR32, CR44, CoH51, COH79
Host: CR24, CR37, BoF60, CR Under 21's and Under 17's

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports