NATION

PASSWORD

Matt Bevin and bring your bible to school

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Matt Bevin and bring your bible to school

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:24 pm

Gov. Matt Bevin recently came out with a video encouraging students to bring their bibles to school for Bring your bible to school day (not a real holiday, something set u by Focus on the Family).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 843477002/

I think this should definitely be considered as against the first amendment, and should be treated as such. I am not sure this is sufficient to impeach the gov, but at the minimum he should pay a fine. Do you think that he violated the first amendment? What do you think should happen if he did?
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Imbalistan
Envoy

Founded: May 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imbalistan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:27 pm

Just no.
Best Quote:
Chan Island wrote:And I'm expecting this thread to devolve into a
racist and/or religious and/or politics shitshow within 3 pages.
I LOVE YOU THE WAY YOU ARE
Bismillah, no, we will not let you go!
#YangGang2020

The Legion of Mankind
Attaché

Founded: Apr 24, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Legion of Mankind » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Since I’m from Kentucky. I don’t really approve Bevin even though I lean towards republican stuff, but on this I definitely agree with you.
Nation does not reflect my views irl. I really don’t care for politics to be honest but I do sometimes

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Gov. Matt Bevin recently came out with a video encouraging students to bring their bibles to school for Bring your bible to school day (not a real holiday, something set u by Focus on the Family).

I think this should definitely be considered as against the first amendment, and should be treated as such. I am not sure this is sufficient to impeach the gov, but at the minimum he should pay a fine. Do you think that he violated the first amendment? What do you think should happen if he did?

How does encouraging students to bring their bible to school violate the 1st amendment?
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:30 pm

Religion should stay out of public schools, period. This absolutely violates the first amendment, and there should be repercussions for this- no more than a slap on the wrist and a stern talking-to, though.
Last edited by Pacomia on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:30 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Gov. Matt Bevin recently came out with a video encouraging students to bring their bibles to school for Bring your bible to school day (not a real holiday, something set u by Focus on the Family).

How does encouraging students to bring their bible to school violate the 1st amendment?

He did so in his office as a governor and did so in an attempt to get kids to proselytize.

"I would encourage you, please, don’t just bring your Bible to school, but read your Bible. Bring it, share it with others. If you have an extra Bible, bring it and share it with somebody who doesn’t have one, who maybe has never read this book," Bevin said Tuesday in a video posted on social media.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:32 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:How does encouraging students to bring their bible to school violate the 1st amendment?

He did so in his office as a governor and did so in an attempt to get kids to proselytize.

"I would encourage you, please, don’t just bring your Bible to school, but read your Bible. Bring it, share it with others. If you have an extra Bible, bring it and share it with somebody who doesn’t have one, who maybe has never read this book," Bevin said Tuesday in a video posted on social media.

Just seems like a tweet encouraging kids to bring their bibles to school, twitter isn’t an official channel of gubernatorial orders
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:32 pm

Aureumterra wrote:

A state governor using his office to encourage children to read a religious text? Specifically during public school hours? C'mon now.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:He did so in his office as a governor and did so in an attempt to get kids to proselytize.

Just seems like a tweet encouraging kids to bring their bibles to school, twitter isn’t an official channel of gubernatorial orders

This was not just twitter, there is a video of him doing so as the gov. He starts the video off "hi this is Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin"
Just A Little though

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:How does encouraging students to bring their bible to school violate the 1st amendment?

A state governor using his office to encourage children to read a religious text? Specifically during public school hours? C'mon now.

How’s he “using his office?”
RightValues
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Genivaria wrote:A state governor using his office to encourage children to read a religious text? Specifically during public school hours? C'mon now.

Because he released that tweet and video as the Governor. Did you even read the name on the tweet? It specifically says Governor.
Just A Little though

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Imagine showing up with the Qur’an or the Book of Mormon.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.

This user is a male.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:35 pm

This isn't good, but it's not violating the First Amendment. Schools having events for Bring your Bible to School Day are violating the First Amendment because the students don't have a choice. He's not forcing anyone to participate.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:35 pm

I guess kids can or cannot, or better bring the Quran or Harry Potter for fun, but this seems worse..

During Bevin's time in office, state lawmakers approved "Bible literacy" courses to be taught in public high schools, despite concerns from the American Civil Liberties Union, and in the most recent legislative session passed a law requiring all public schools to display "In God We Trust" in prominent on-campus locations.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Geneviev wrote:This isn't good, but it's not violating the First Amendment. Schools having events for Bring your Bible to School Day are violating the First Amendment because the students don't have a choice. He's not forcing anyone to participate.

Alright, that’s fair. Still, religion doesn’t belong in public schools. Not a cool thing to do regardless.

This user is a male.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Genivaria wrote:A state governor using his office to encourage children to read a religious text? Specifically during public school hours? C'mon now.

The video literally says Governor.KY.Gov at the bottom right of the screen while sitting at his governor's desk.
Be serious.
Last edited by Genivaria on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Geneviev wrote:This isn't good, but it's not violating the First Amendment. Schools having events for Bring your Bible to School Day are violating the First Amendment because the students don't have a choice. He's not forcing anyone to participate.

One does not have to force students to do something for it to be violation. All that has to happen is that representative of the state in their capacity as a representative of the state support a religion/religion.

Students where not forced to recite prayers before football games...it still was a violation.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:37 pm

Bombadil wrote:I guess kids can or cannot, or better bring the Quran or Harry Potter for fun, but this seems worse..

During Bevin's time in office, state lawmakers approved "Bible literacy" courses to be taught in public high schools, despite concerns from the American Civil Liberties Union, and in the most recent legislative session passed a law requiring all public schools to display "In God We Trust" in prominent on-campus locations.

This seems like a grey area for a serious violation of the 1st Amendment. If a private institution wants to do that, fine, but not in a public school.

EDIT: Can I have the source for this?
Last edited by Pacomia on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This user is a male.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Pacomia wrote:

Alright, that’s fair. Still, religion doesn’t belong in public schools. Not a cool thing to do regardless.

It doesn't belong there, but as long as the schools aren't forcing anyone to bring a Bible there's nothing you can do about it.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Pacomia wrote:Alright, that’s fair. Still, religion doesn’t belong in public schools. Not a cool thing to do regardless.

It doesn't belong there, but as long as the schools aren't forcing anyone to bring a Bible there's nothing you can do about it.

But you can do something about the governor pushing having students bring the religious book into schools in his capacity as governor.
Just A Little though

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It doesn't belong there, but as long as the schools aren't forcing anyone to bring a Bible there's nothing you can do about it.

But you can do something about the governor pushing having students bring the religious book into schools in his capacity as governor.

The part of the 1st amendment regarding religion states “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”. Assuming “Congress” includes state legislatures, Kentucky has violated the 1st amendment in other ways, but this isn’t one of them, as it’s not required.

This user is a male.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:40 pm

It's not against the First Amendment. Students can bring their Bibles to school and read them, in fact that right is protected by the First.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It doesn't belong there, but as long as the schools aren't forcing anyone to bring a Bible there's nothing you can do about it.

Not really. He wasn't doing more than any other politician. American politicians are always speaking about the Bible and this isn't different.
Last edited by Geneviev on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:42 pm

If a Kentucky public school had even a single day dedicated to Islam and bringing the Qu'ran there'd be a bigger meltdown than Chernobyl guaranteed.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:42 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Students where not forced to recite prayers before football games...it still was a violation.

Students can, on their own volition, pray before football games as an exercise of their own faith.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General