NATION

PASSWORD

⭐ HUNTERS ⭐ Urban Fantasy / Academy / Superhero ⭐ OPEN OOC ⭐

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:51 am

Forest State wrote:
Danceria wrote:I mean, I'm not really sure what to do as far as a character goes...maybe someone who's trying to bring the world of Magic and Mundane together?

Thanks Vanqie-tankie, very cool.

Not sure how separate they are in the first place. Magic is kind of a different class but on the other hand magic isn't a secret thing by any means, the Hunters Association is a pretty public organization.

Hrng, looks like I'll be a half-stormfey.
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:08 am

How’s my app?
Lover of doggos

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:31 am

Revlona wrote:How’s my app?

Accepted although like I said before you won't be able to add spells on the fly so make sure that you're fine with what you have, until you reach a point where you can add more through IC progress.
don't tread on me

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:32 am

Forest State wrote:
Revlona wrote:How’s my app?

Accepted although like I said before you won't be able to add spells on the fly so make sure that you're fine with what you have, until you reach a point where you can add more through IC progress.

I understand that, it’s why I put a lot of thought into my spells
Lover of doggos

Arktic
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arktic » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:20 am

SANTA MARINA HUNTER ACADEMY - STUDENT FILE
The following file has been approved for viewing by APPROVED PERSONNEL.

Callum Malone

Name: Callum Malone.
Appearance: Green eyes, shaggy black hair, iridescent blue-purple wings, pale-ish skin with brown freckles along the ridge of his face, shoulders, and knees. Has a relatively short, smooth, rounded, boyish face with a squat nose, and elongated elf-like ears.
A somewhat inaccurate self-portrait of Callum, courtesy of AldoricKing. https://www.deviantart.com/aldoricking

Gender: Biologically male, and acts like it. Generally. Kinda thinks the whole thing about caring what gender you are is silly, and is most comfortable in his skin as a boy.
Build: Height: 5 ft 0 in or 152 centimeters. Weight: 97 lbs or 44 kg. Has a surprisingly defined, athletic physique, albeit definitely on the skinny and lanky side. Wingspan: 4 ft 0 in or 120 cm.
Species: Full-blooded fairy.

Magic Category/Categories: Alchemy and Poison.

Mana Count: 150 Mana.

Known Spells/Abilities:
Alchemy
Imbuement [25] - Using imbuement, Callum can insert a magical effect into a mundane material, like a handful sand or a bottle of water. The magical effect occurs as soon as the material is touched, consumed, or released, depending on what the magical effect is and what the material is. Imbuements only have a shelf life until the next solstice or equinox, after which they material they're connected to returns to a mundane state and has to be re-imbued. They work for 1-15 minutes.
Enchantment [50] - Similar to imbuement, an enchantment gives a magical effect into a mundane material, but with a twist: rather than a dumb magical effect, an enchanted material will act "smart," able to be metered and triggered by Callum or by itself. For example: an imbued potion might turn whoever drinks it into a monkey, while an enchanted potion will turn whoever drinks it without permission into a monkey. In addition, enchanted materials keep their magic indefinitely, or until Callum dies. These spells work for 15 minutes to an hour.

+Buffs+
Lizardtail: Allows for high-speed physical regeneration, useful for healing physical trauma.
Steel Turtle: Renders the user impervious to piercing blows and cuts, such as those from bullets, shrapnel, and blades, and resistant to blunt force and explosive shock.
Cateyes: Gives the imbiber the ability to see objects in light-less and/or clouded conditions, as well as the ability to quickly detect living creatures.
Chameleon: Softens footsteps to those of a lizard's skittering, and allows light to shine through the user to make an imperfect cloak of invisibility.
Bloodwine: Gives the consumer/target unnatural physical strength and speed, in addition to a healthy dose of berserker rage.

-Debuffs-
Stormhead: Disrupts electronics and disrupts thoughts, leaving the the target in a state of stupid panic and whatever electric/electronic device they attempt to use inoperable.
Queen Mab's Liqueur: Entrances the target, numbs the senses, and places them in a mindless state of euphoria, leaving them without wits and open to suggestion. Useful as an antidepressant and anesthetic.
Elvish Honeypot: Slows the target and weakens their movement, as though they were trapped in an vat of invisible honey.
Winter's Night: Prevents the afflicted from speaking, hearing, or seeing, and allows them only to feel searing cold.

Transmutation [100] - Changing a mundane material into a form that it typically cannot hold, like room-temperature liquid metal or ice that doesn't melt or spread, or freezing fire solid while keeping it's heat. Can only be undone with a second transmutation reversing the first.
Catalyze [25] - Callum uses a burst of magical energy to trigger or accelerate the process of an alchemical or magical reaction that is already being undertaken or is ready to be undertaken. Often used alongside Imbuement, Enchantment, and Transmutation.
Inhibit [100] - A magical failsafe or shield, used to slow or stop an alchemical or magical reaction before its natural conclusion.
Poison
Toxic Burst [20/40] - Callum becomes the central focus point for an airborne misty cloud of toxins of various kinds, dissipating moments after Callum passes by or stops. Lethal toxins require more mana than nonlethal drugs or irritants, a scaling shared by other toxic abilities.
Toxic Focus [30/50] - A liquid spray or directed mist/dust cloud of toxins or nonlethal irritants, hallucinogens, or sedatives, able to be moved or redirected by Callum from a distance. Dissipates when Callum sets them down.
Toxic Residue [10/25] - A liquid or dust trail of toxins of varying lethality, summoned by Callum to be left in a liquid or on a surface. Can be detectable or invisible, depending on the poison selected. Dissipates by sunrise or nightfall, whichever is closer.
Tarantella [50] - A temporary immunity and recovery from poison, imparted onto another. May or may not involve a magically-induced force dance and tune.
Immunity [1 per second] - While Callum is naturally immune to his own toxins, he is not immune to others. Using this spell allows him to survive exposure to other poisons and dangerous chemicals.
Mundane Abilities
Fairy Flight [0] - Callum's wings allow him to fly up to 30 feet in the air at a single bound and at a speed of up to 50 mph, and if he's conscious it also allows him to stop himself from falling from high heights. He can also carry weights up to 20kg, although naturally the heavier an object is the harsher the effect on his flight is.
Changeling [negligible to 100] - Harnessing his fairy blood, Callum can modify his appearance, changing his facial structure, hair and eye color, skin tone, and other aspects and parts of his body if he so chooses. He doesn't do this particularly often, and the more dramatic the change the higher the mana usage required is. And, there is a tell: no matter how much energy he expends, he cannot fully get rid of his wings. He can only reduce them to the size of those of a butterfly.

Equipment:
-Alchemist travel equipment set, complete with an annotated guide book.
-crabApple ePhone 11 smartphone.
-Standard, boring laptop.
-A varied wardrobe.
-An ancient yew wood wand, given to him by his grandmother.
-Cool rocks and plants and pro-fae lucky charms and blessed posters to encircle his desk and bed and to litter his room with.
-A bunch of walking-stick sized rods with shaped charges at the end, specialized for anti-materiel combat use and designed and sold by Caliburn Weapons UK (an ill-advised present from his mate).
-A specially-designed variant of H&K MP7A1 PDW/sub machine gun with lightweight carbon-fiber stocks and a silver sight (an only slightly less ill-advised present from his uncle from the Garda).
-Titanium alloy knife with fox-leather sheath.
-Drawing pad and notebook, with utensils.
-A silver locket with a picture of his family.

Class: Newly-enrolled First Year.

Nationality: Irish/Gaelic.

Hometown: Treecrowned, County Meath.

Sexuality: Open, active, and difficult to comprehend.

Personality: Fundamentally, Callum is a typical impulsive, wishy-washy, energetic fae when it comes to his attitudes towards life. Fun-loving and more than a little reckless, it comes as a surprise to nobody who meets him that he was a troublemaker back home. He doesn't have neutral feelings about anyone or anything: everything's at one end of the hate-love spectrum for him. That being said, he's open-minded. A little too open minded, some would argue, as because he's so receptive to people and information that it's not at all difficult to make him jealous or angry or frustrated (although it's just as easy to make him elated and happy). That being said, if you do make friends with him, expect Callum to be very proudly loyal and to show his affection regularly. He can be somewhat myopic and selfish, but he doesn't mean it to hurt anyone. How he feels is the first thing he thinks about and acts on, and things like logic and consequences only come after. High energy and volatile in every good and bad way, the one thing you cannot call Callum is dull or boring.
Likes: Extreme weather, nighttime, fauna and flora, cool rocks, video games, celebrating and partying and generally acting up, drinking, bread, milk, soda, cake, music (yes, truly all kinds), tidiness, shiny things not made of iron or steel, blood.
Dislikes: Machinery and motorized vehicles, iron and steel objects, water, sea travel, annoying noises not being made by him, emotional confrontation.

Biography: Callum Malone was born into a huge and long-running family of Irish fairies of modest but not uncomfortable means, in a small town that had been known for centuries as a large gathering place for fairies. The tradition in his family, however, was fortunately not thievery or assassination. It was another thing fairies have been known for in the old tales: alchemy and potion-mixing. From an early age, Callum learned the ins and outs of the crucible, the mortar and pestle, and the alembic as orders for fairy-made potions came in and needed to be filled. His natural curiosity and chaotic energy also encouraged experimentation, giving him skill in mundane chemical synthesis as well as broader alchemical knowledge than bespoke home-made fairy brews (at the cost of lots of wrecked equipment and goodwill). Being the youngest, however, he suffered a little bit of neglect, and his family and community were much more willing to entertain and forgive his older siblings than him, something that Callum resented to no end. He still loves his family, but it didn't take long for a strong independent spirit to grow inside him.

When Callum finished secondary school, however, he ran into the problem of what exactly he was supposed to do with his life next. He didn't want to go immediately into the workforce, as his disposition and talents didn't necessarily lend themselves to making employers happy, and the prospect of going to a normal university quite literally bored him to tears. Fortunately, one day he received a letter from the Santa Marina Hunter Academy, one of the thousands of different interesting-looking schools he applied to in his fits of activity. Becoming a Hunter certainly sounded like loads of fun, and he wouldn't have to deal with (what he felt was) the mind-numbing drudgery of making the same old potions, not to mention the anti-fairy prejudice that was sadly alive and well in the UK and Europe. If nothing else, America promised to be new and interesting. So, he packed his stuff in a box, bought plane tickets with some totally not stolen money, said a quick goodbye to his family and shipped himself all the way over to Florida, scheduled to arrive on move-in day.

#HAcademy
Last edited by Arktic on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Recuecn
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Forest State wrote:Chapter two of the story has begun. If you have any interactions on the 21st you can still finish them. If your character is trying out for the combat team, you'll have to show up at the arena on the 28th, the date of my most recent IC post.

EDIT: And for that matter, who is actually trying out?

Tristan will definitely swing by the gym... I'll probably have him try out, too, just to see how it goes. (After all, try outs aren't interesting at all if everybody makes the team.)
rəswɛsən

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:38 pm

Arktic wrote:snip

Everything looks good except fairies here, at least the type that you're playing and not other types such as summons, are human sized.
don't tread on me

Arktic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arktic » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:34 pm

Forest State wrote:
Arktic wrote:snip

Everything looks good except fairies here, at least the type that you're playing and not other types such as summons, are human sized.
Uh huh. That changes things quite a bit...

Are full-blooded angels allowed as PCs? If not, what’s the most angel you can be?

The Great Swedish Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Swedish Empire » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:41 pm

This might be worth coming back to NS for.
Stuff. Just stuff.

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:23 pm

Arktic wrote:
Forest State wrote:Everything looks good except fairies here, at least the type that you're playing and not other types such as summons, are human sized.
Uh huh. That changes things quite a bit...

Are full-blooded angels allowed as PCs? If not, what’s the most angel you can be?

Full blooded angels aren't due to being disproportionately stronger, but nephilim are. Nephilim are half angels and receive a bonus to their physical attributes as well as some of the characteristic angel bonuses but to a more balanced extent.
don't tread on me

Kaziimar
Envoy

Founded: Mar 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaziimar » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:07 am

Sorry about the shitty first post, but I wanted to get SOMETHING up at least before everything went tooooo fast. My brain block has been terrible, I hope it works.

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:30 am

Kaziimar wrote:Sorry about the shitty first post, but I wanted to get SOMETHING up at least before everything went tooooo fast. My brain block has been terrible, I hope it works.

You got there in time for the tryouts at least. If you were doing that.
don't tread on me

Arktic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arktic » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:45 am

Forest State wrote:
Arktic wrote:Uh huh. That changes things quite a bit...

Full blooded angels aren't due to being disproportionately stronger, but nephilim are. Nephilim are half angels and receive a bonus to their physical attributes as well as some of the characteristic angel bonuses but to a more balanced extent.

Alright, last question: do fairies still get to keep their wings, even if they’re human sized? And if so, are they useful or vestigial?
Last edited by Arktic on Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:57 am

Arktic wrote:
Forest State wrote:Full blooded angels aren't due to being disproportionately stronger, but nephilim are. Nephilim are half angels and receive a bonus to their physical attributes as well as some of the characteristic angel bonuses but to a more balanced extent.

Alright, last question: do fairies still get to keep their wings, even if they’re human sized? And if so, are they useful or vestigial?

Not all fairies have wings but a lot do, and they are functional wings.
don't tread on me

Arktic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arktic » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:28 am

Forest State wrote:
Arktic wrote:Alright, last question: do fairies still get to keep their wings, even if they’re human sized? And if so, are they useful or vestigial?

Not all fairies have wings but a lot do, and they are functional wings.
Alright, I edited in some adjustments and made Callum not (quite as) small. Let me know if I should do anything about the changeling ability as I was unsure about how to approach that, as well as if there are any other things. I plan on adding likes and dislikes to his personality as well in the not too distant future.

Arktic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arktic » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:47 am

Arktic wrote:
Forest State wrote:Not all fairies have wings but a lot do, and they are functional wings.

Alright, I edited in some adjustments and made Callum not (quite as) small. Let me know if I should do anything about the changeling ability as I was unsure about how to approach that, as well as if there are any other things. I plan on adding likes and dislikes to his personality as well in the not too distant future.

Aaaand it's done. Awaiting approval.
Last edited by Arktic on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:55 am

Hope ya'll are taking more folk on. If you aren't I'm sorry to have wasted your time. Do note however, that I live in China right now, so while I will join the Discord as soon as possible, I do so at the convenience of the CCP, this may similarly impact my posting if certain actors take a dislike to NS.

SANTA MARINA HUNTER ACADEMY - STUDENT FILE

Ricardo 'Ricky' Bolívar

Name: Ricardo 'Ricky' Miguel Contreras Bolívar
Appearance:
Sans the football jersey obviously.

Build: 5'9" 160 lbs, lean build with surprisingly strong shoulders.
Species: Human (although both he and his mother would undoubtedly claim angelic ancestry)

Magic Category/Categories: Light Force

Mana Count: 200

Known Spells/Abilities:
  • Helping Hands [5] - Ricardo creates force constructs that act as hands capable of performing simple tasks. Basically a mending/housekeeping spell. Can create fewer hands for extended duration or more for a shorter duration, with the average casting being four hands for fifteen minutes. The hands cannot be used as a direct attack, and are nearly useless with weapons, as Ricardo cannot control them effectively under stress.
  • Dazzle [10] - A simple burst of light conjured by Ricardo that has the effect of temporary blinding opponents, similar to a magic flash grenade.
  • Blade Ward [20] - Ricardo throws up a barrier of force that protects against any one mundane attack, though it cannot protect against magical attacks. In the event that an attack has both mundane and magical components, the ward will protect against the mundane aspect of it.
  • Arrow of Light [25] - Ricardo can apply magic to the ammunition of a weapon, before loading it, imbuing it with light it to make the ammunition in question a construct of hard light. This enables it to penetrate most magical or mundane defenses, at the expense of damage output. It should be noted that although called Arrow of Light, the spell can technically effect the ammunition of any not-thrown ranged weapon.
  • Mage Ward [40] - Ricardo makes a blade ward, but for low level magic attacks. Protects against most low level (40 mana or less) magic attacks, but does nothing for mundane. If an attack is both magical and mundane it protects against the magical aspect only, and only for low level magical attacks.
  • Escalate [50] - Ricardo uses force magic to magnify the impact of a ranged attack, dramatically increasing the damage dealt. The magic imbued must however, be applied before making the attack, and the mana is wasted on a missed attack.
  • Wings of Michael [70] - Ricardo uses magic to create a set of hard light wings that enable him limited flight capabilities. Such flight is limited to at most a few minutes, but is useful for reaching high perches. It should also be noted that they look shiny as hell, and is poorly suited to sneaking.
  • Light Armor [80] - Ricardo creates an armor construct composed of hard light. It acts as armor resistant to most mundane and basic magical attacks. The armor is ablative in nature, and will wear down very quickly if exposed to strong attacks either mundane or magical. The armor also looks shiny as hell, which could be problematic in stealth missions.
  • Mantle of Michael [150] - Ricardo, in an attempt to live up to his claimed angelic heritage combines the effects of Light Armor and Wings of Michael to become an armored, flying, shiny mofo. This spell eats mana hard, and afterwards, Ricardo is really only capable of limited casting. In terms of effect, it is a combination of Light Armor and Wings of Michael with a duration of perhaps a minute. It should be noted that Ricardo is only capable of casting this spell in a state of extreme duress.

Equipment: Ricardo generally prefers to use simple gear, a leather jacket, a few knives, a crucifix and rosary, and his trusty compound bow, and a magically enchanted everlasting quiver. If the situation calls for it, he will carry a second quiver with a handful of trick arrows (explosive arrows, diamond tipped arrows, smoke arrows etc.), though these are expensive and are rarely used. For longer ranged work, Ricardo has a little used Short Magazine Lee-Enfield bolt action rifle, or if lots of things need lots of holes in them, he will carry a G-3 Rifle (he will not carry more than one rifle, because that would be silly).

Other more exotic things Ricardo has stowed away for emergencies include an early 19th century officer's sword (which is runed, though whether it is enchanted or not is a mystery), St. Elmo's Fire, a lighter which can be used to detect invisible things, and a small locket that *allegedly* contains a piece of the True Cross.

Class: Second Year

Nationality: United States

Hometown: Miami, Florida, United States

Sexuality: Asexual

Personality: Ricardo is rather immature for a second year, often playing pranks on other students, sometimes with magical assistance from his helping hands, telling tall tales to first years or otherwise making a nuisance of himself. These mannerisms would likely have gone punished by the staff of the school were it not for his "serious face". When the chips are down and a mission is one the line, Ricardo will pack away his "quirky" mannerisms and adopt a more serious attitude. When translated to the battlefield, Ricardo is a cold efficient fighter, brutally putting down foes, and then returning to his normal prankster ways, as if nothing had ever happened when the mission ends.

Biography: Ricardo Miguel Contreras Bolívar is descended from an aristocratic Latin American mage family that migrated to the US in the early 20th century before pissing away most of their fortune, and almost all of their shiny things over the course of the 1900s. Ricardo himself was born at the tail end of the 1990s to a mother of middling means and less magical aptitude and an unknown father. Something of a troublemaker, Ricardo or Ricky for short was seemingly constantly in trouble when school for pulling pranks, lying to teachers and generally being a naer do well. The only time Ricky seemed to not get into too much trouble was when he, was attending summer camp. In particular he took to the archery lessons, and survival skills courses with aplomb.

It was at camp one summer, that Ricky got his first taste of the supernatural world. He was in his late teens, and a junior Councillor responsible for protecting the campers; one of the few things he took seriously. A thing attacked the summer camp that year, a thing that was clearly not mundane in nature. This thing proved a problem for nearly two weeks, terrorizing campers and, if police records can believed, eating any that had the audacity to be caught in the open at night. After the third camper went missing however, Ricky got smart to the thing's terror and through clever tactics and his fine skill with a bow, Ricky managed to drive the thing off. However, it took the intervention of the local mage to ensure the thing's banishment.

After this unfortunate incident, Ricky was recruited to Santa Marina Academy, and after looting most of the Bolívar family's last magical odds and ends, he started to attend upon graduating high school. Although he continued to be an incorrigible prankster, he did surprisingly well in examinations and was soon sent off on his first missions. Specializing in flashy and direct light and forced based spellcasting, it was here that he excelled, impressing some of his teachers with his potent, if mana draining spell casting. After passing through his first year, Ricky has taken on a more prominent role in the Academy, and could, if he bothered taking classroom work seriously, be a high caliber hunter.

#HAcademy
Last edited by Post War America on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:20 pm

Arktic wrote:Snip

Okay, one concern with the chemical creations. It's potentially overpowered, and should be limited by the types of magic you have available, as Alchemy is insofar primarily used for creating potions, not just making things. You won't be able to just pull nitroglycerin, napalm, or sulfuric acid out of your pocket, if you want to stick to that you'll have to check on basically anything you create before you can make it, just to keep things balanced.
When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough. - Maurice Maeterlinck

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. - Washington Irving

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

Arktic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arktic » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:39 pm

Durmatagno wrote:
Arktic wrote:Snip

Okay, one concern with the chemical creations. It's potentially overpowered, and should be limited by the types of magic you have available, as Alchemy is insofar primarily used for creating potions, not just making things. You won't be able to just pull nitroglycerin, napalm, or sulfuric acid out of your pocket, if you want to stick to that you'll have to check on basically anything you create before you can make it, just to keep things balanced.

I see. I was under the impression that this was kind of a Full Metal Alchemist kind of deal where I can pull out real world chemicals and whatnot. If it’s just potion-making and summoning magical materials I can change my magic and bio to reflect that.

I’m also not quite sure what you mean by “checking.” Do you mean check with the mods to see if what I’m doing is okay, or do you mean applying a magic cost? If it’s the latter that’s fine, I included that. If it’s the former, I might want to change how I’m using my magic system.
Last edited by Arktic on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Speyland
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Speyland » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm looking forward to this.

Speyland
Diplomat

Founded: May 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Speyland » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:30 pm

Can they also be a martial artist?

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:05 pm

PERSONAL FILE

Jordan Liao

Name: Jordan Liao
Appearance:

Build: 6'1", 149 lbs
Species: Human (Quarter Angel, Quarter Succubus)
Affiliation: Hunters Association
Position: Independent Huntress

Magic Category/Categories: Holy, Physical

Mana Count: 450

Known Spells/Abilities:

• Wings of Light [30] - Jordan is able to summon a pair of wings on her back, each one being roughly eight feet long. These wings are made of hard light and are capable of both carrying her and shielding her in the event of attack.
  • Holy Bow [20] - This spell allows Jordan to summon a bow made of hard light, with each arrow being made out of the same substance and summoned when it's needed. While the bow only has a base cost and regular arrows do not cost, a variety of enhanced attacks can be summoned with further spells for a higher cost.
  • Triple Shot [25] - Three arrows are summoned into the bow at one time and can be fired all at once or can be fired one by one. If an arrow is already loaded, the total will come to four after using this spell.
  • Double Edged Arrow [60] - This anti spirit attack has no effect on physical beings but will create an explosion of light within a ten foot radius which targets spiritual beings and constructs. This can include spirit based armor, spirit based puppets being controlled by mages, it can damage spiritual beings themselves such as angels and demons, and it also has an effect on astral projections and astral beings. The actual strength of the attack depends on placement, as the strongest effects radiate outwards from an epicenter.
  • Flaming Shot [60] - This flaming arrow will spread white fire to the surrounding five feet. This fire will stick to surfaces it lands on and will spread after the initial impact before it burns out. If it receives more fuel, it can last longer.
  • Demolition [50] - This spell fires a single arrow in the direction of either an enemy or a structure. When embedded in the target, this arrow will explode with heavy concussive force, which does a good job of addressing armored enemies and/or destroying the structures being used by them for cover.
  • Wake [30] - This arrow type will spray a trail of light energy behind it for one foot in either direction to the right and the left, which burns what it comes into contact with and can deal indirect damage for the life of the flight of the arrow. This is mainly used in close quarters or wen attacking multiple targets due to the potential for collateral damage.
  • Holy Blade [30] - This spell summons a large Zweihander style sword which is imbued with holy energy and receives something of a bonus against dark and infernal magic.
  • Blade Shot [40] - This attack launches a concussive blast of light energy off the end of the blade in a straight line, which has an explosive effect upon hitting the desired target.
  • Double Daggers [25] - This rather simple spell summons a pair of two daggers of hard light, which don't have many special traits except for a small bonus against dark and infernal magic.
  • On the Rocks [40] - This spell creates up to six spiked formations of hard light which resemble jagged rocks to an extent, and are sharp enough to impale someone on. They can also be used to contain someone, of course. Their placement is determined by Jordan.
  • Snake [75] - Jordan can fire a beam of light which will stay active until desummoned or for thirty seconds. It burns what it comes into contact with and after touching one object, it will bounce and change directions without breaking, creating a trail much like that in the video game Snake.
  • Accelerated Jump [30] - This physical ability allows Jordan to jump to great heights and long distances, up to twenty five feet in the air when exerting herself to the fullest and using this spell. Her landings will be cushioned by the magic.
  • Short Jump [10] - A reduced version of the accelerated jump, Jordan can jump up to six feet in the air easily, and she has enhanced movement and can manipulate the posturing of her body during this attack.
  • Feint [10] - This quickened feint allows Jordan to slide forwards, backwards, or side to side with enhanced speed and agility.
  • Burst [20] - This allows Jordan to put on a quick burst of straight line speed for ten meters, but doesn't allow for turning side to side and keeping the added speed.
  • Heavy Strike [35] - This spell increases the strength of one physical strike from Jordan, doubling her strength and increasing the impact of whatever momentum she's built up during the strike.
  • Storm of Knives [200] - Jordan can create a wall of knives made of hard light and direct them all at one target. Each knife is about six inches long and about as sharp as a kitchen one - however, the danger comes from the speed at which they are prepared. The wall of knives tends to have between twenty and fifty knives in it.
  • Succubus Charm [0] - An inherent trait, Jordan receives a slight boost to charisma with most people thanks to her quarter succubus blood.
  • Quarter Angel [0] - Thanks to her quarter angel blood, Jordan receives a roughly 25% boost to all of her physical attributes.

Equipment: Outside of her magical equipment, Jordan carries a pair of Glock 17 pistols in the event of trouble that can't simply be solved through her magic. She also keeps a physical knife with her at most times.

Biography: The second oldest of the multiple daughters born magically between huntresses Fox Liao and Chelsea Bianchi-Costa de Inferenza, Jordan has always been a free spirit but also always wanted to follow after the family business, or businesses rather, and get involved in the work of a Huntress. She grew up around the Association, being raised by Fox, a similarly free spirit who found work independently of a team, and she had experience firsthand with a number of things the outside world could only observe through the news and through television - the magical clans of Europe, the mage fights in Hong Kong, rituals and practices passed down through the years from the mage families of old...

Fox wasn't the most high profile Huntress but due to her connections to Chelsea, someone with more pedigree, Jordan found herself educated from the best in those things even from a young age, showing herself to be rebellious to a certain extent but also talented. So it made sense that when she turned 18 she skipped going to a Hunter Academy and instead went to work independent, joining the Association and proving her worth quickly through slaying demon and rogue mage alike, her worth in combat soon outweighing any concerns about her level of cooperation and resulting in her getting assigned to some "special" tasks by the Association that needed to be worked on solo or with a small team. This, of course, eventually led her to be assigned to the United States for another stint, specifically in the city of Santa Marina where her mother works at the Santa Marina Hunter Academy as a coach and as an instructor.

#HAcademy
don't tread on me

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:18 pm

Post War America wrote:snip

Mostly fine but arrow of light should have a higher cost. Also to format your list right, you should put
Code: Select all
[list]
at the start of your spell list and
[/list]
at the end.
Speyland wrote:Can they also be a martial artist?

Yeah there's a few martial artists although keep in mind magic is a lot more effective than physical martial arts and you're not advised to base your main fighting style on it.
don't tread on me

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Forest State wrote:
Post War America wrote:snip

Mostly fine but arrow of light should have a higher cost. Also to format your list right, you should put
[list]
[/list]
at the end.
Speyland wrote:Can they also be a martial artist?

Yeah there's a few martial artists although keep in mind magic is a lot more effective than physical martial arts and you're not advised to base your main fighting style on it.

Sure, 20, 25? I would prefer something that is a divisor of fifty if it must be changed.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Post War America wrote:
Forest State wrote:Mostly fine but arrow of light should have a higher cost. Also to format your list right, you should put
[list]
[/list]
at the end.

Sure, 20, 25? I would prefer something that is a divisor of fifty if it must be changed.

Think it depends on how much you intend it to penetrate because if, say, someone were to put a bunch of mana into a shield, it might seem kinda cheap if a 20-25 mana attack can almost always penetrate it.
don't tread on me

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse