NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:15 am

Forsher wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Yeah, but Disney asked for more then they were already getting, cutting into Sony's profits more than they were. That's just flexing corporate muscles, I wouldn't doubt if sicking the fans on Sony was part of the plan.

Of course, you're also right in that Sony was being a douche canoe by not even counteroffering. Both aren't exactly blameless here.

Are you a douche canoe for not negotiating with the highwayman demanding your money or your life?

Entirely fair point.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:09 am

Valrifell wrote:
Forsher wrote:
Are you a douche canoe for not negotiating with the highwayman demanding your money or your life?

Entirely fair point.

Well, Disney was also offering to bring the other properties into the MCU, a move that had already made FFH a billion dollar movie and could help fringy titles like Morbius by being part of the MCU. And the two movie deal was supposed to give both of them a chance to reevaluate. Disney did, Sony didn't.

EDIT: Or...that's new information that I mistook for old information...

However, it’s known that Sony is hoping to reopen negotiations, with other sources saying things aren’t as final as folks think. In fact, the latest rumor points to the whole situation doing a full 180 degree turn, and soon.

TVO of Lords of the Long Box claims that a new Sony/Disney deal is already in the works. This would cover all bases for Spider-Man’s future across both movies and TV, allowing for each party to carry out their own plans with the support of the other. As well as continuing Spidey’s MCU journey for seven more films, it’s said that this new deal would allow Venom to join the franchise as well.

There’s always been a lot of talk about a Venom/MCU crossover, with conflicting information leaving fans confused where it fits. Certainly, Sony seems to want the character to be part of Marvel Studios’ world, with director Ruben Fleischer teasing a face-off with Spidey and producer Amy Pascal calling it an “adjunct” to the MCU. However, Marvel’s reportedly less keen on making this connection official. But maybe this will change if the supposed deal comes to pass.
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Krogan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Krogan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:31 am

Honestly I can only see a win/win situation for Sony and Disney if they collaborated more on these titles, or maybe I'm just ignorant to how this business stuff works.
The perpetual lurker of NS, trudging through the desolate winter.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:56 am

Worth noting that Sony at least has only commented on Feige:
“Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise,” says a Sony spokesperson. “We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film.”

“We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own,” says the statement. “Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.”

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:05 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Entirely fair point.

Well, Disney was also offering to bring the other properties into the MCU, a move that had already made FFH a billion dollar movie and could help fringy titles like Morbius by being part of the MCU. And the two movie deal was supposed to give both of them a chance to reevaluate. Disney did, Sony didn't.

However, it’s known that Sony is hoping to reopen negotiations, with other sources saying things aren’t as final as folks think. In fact, the latest rumor points to the whole situation doing a full 180 degree turn, and soon.

TVO of Lords of the Long Box claims that a new Sony/Disney deal is already in the works. This would cover all bases for Spider-Man’s future across both movies and TV, allowing for each party to carry out their own plans with the support of the other. As well as continuing Spidey’s MCU journey for seven more films, it’s said that this new deal would allow Venom to join the franchise as well.

There’s always been a lot of talk about a Venom/MCU crossover, with conflicting information leaving fans confused where it fits. Certainly, Sony seems to want the character to be part of Marvel Studios’ world, with director Ruben Fleischer teasing a face-off with Spidey and producer Amy Pascal calling it an “adjunct” to the MCU. However, Marvel’s reportedly less keen on making this connection official. But maybe this will change if the supposed deal comes to pass.

What? Just Venom? A movie that did reasonably well all on its own?
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:54 am

Valrifell wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Well, Disney was also offering to bring the other properties into the MCU, a move that had already made FFH a billion dollar movie and could help fringy titles like Morbius by being part of the MCU. And the two movie deal was supposed to give both of them a chance to reevaluate. Disney did, Sony didn't.

What? Just Venom? A movie that did reasonably well all on its own?

It did okay. But by being in the MCU than it opens up Venom's extended role in the Marvel comics, potentially allowing him to take part in things like The Dark Avengers or Agent Venom etc etc. And the thing is, Sony gets a piece of it if Venom appears in an MCU movie on top of having the MCU stamp on the solo Venom movies.

And a lot of groundwork is there in the MCU for Venom. He was a Kree experiment, Knowhere was created when Knull cut off the head of a Celestial and then used it to create the Symbiotes, Ronan was attended by the Exolon Monks which were Knull symbiotes, Hela used the Necroswords which was Knull's first creation. There's a giant pool with the groundwork already laid out in the MCU and for the most part all they have to do is cash checks.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:40 pm

In other non-depressing news, more Disney+ shows for your face holes:

Ms.Marvel Kamala Khan gets her own series and an appearance on the big screen.

She-Hulk gets a show. Finally.

And...MOON KNIGHT! Super into Moon Knight.

Also more details on the shows we know, WandaVision will be a surrealist blender of 60s sitcom and superhero story apparently. Loki is romping through time or something.

Super Patriot will be in Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

Some of the What If...s Zombie Captain America, T'Challa as a Guardian of the Galaxy, Peggy Carter gets the super soldier serum.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:42 pm

The Krogan wrote:Honestly I can only see a win/win situation for Sony and Disney if they collaborated more on these titles, or maybe I'm just ignorant to how this business stuff works.

Yeah. That seems fairer.

The only complication would be continuity management, but the MCU is completely fine with continuity issues and is perfectly happy to retcon.

Cannot think of a name wrote:In other non-depressing news, more Disney+ shows for your face holes:

Ms.Marvel Kamala Khan gets her own series and an appearance on the big screen.

She-Hulk gets a show. Finally.

And...MOON KNIGHT! Super into Moon Knight.

Also more details on the shows we know, WandaVision will be a surrealist blender of 60s sitcom and superhero story apparently. Loki is romping through time or something.

Super Patriot will be in Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

Some of the What If...s Zombie Captain America, T'Challa as a Guardian of the Galaxy, Peggy Carter gets the super soldier serum.

How do you think they'll do the origin stories for Kamala and She-Hulk?
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:53 am

Curious how She-Hulk is gonna work. We gonna see CG or the Ferigno approach?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:21 am

Ameriganastan wrote:Curious how She-Hulk is gonna work. We gonna see CG or the Ferigno approach?

I guess it depends on (a) whether they intend for her to ever appear in the films and (b) how many episodes they're making.

nek minnit

She-Hulk will be animated. :rofl:

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:22 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Curious how She-Hulk is gonna work. We gonna see CG or the Ferigno approach?

Well, Chyna passed on...

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:28 pm

Actually the best bet would be the Lord of the Rings half way, where you use in camera tricks to make her look larger than everyone else and then enhance it in post. Centering it around a CGI character especially in a series even if these are apparently only six episodes would not look as good. She's not as big as even 'smart' or Professor Hulk. She's as big as a WNBA player. You just have to make her look 6'7". My aunt is 6 feet flat, my buddy is 6'8". You just gotta make a regular woman look a foot taller. Or see if anyone in the WNBA can act...

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:40 pm

The only movie announcement was the Coogler was working on Black Panther II. Which, of course.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:51 am

New haven america wrote:

Tbh its still shitty that sony and Disney fucked up the way they did and I demand that they fix there fuck up.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:52 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
New haven america wrote:

Tbh its still shitty that sony and Disney fucked up the way they did and I demand that they fix there fuck up.

I live near the Sony and Disney lots, I feel like dragging the two together and throwing them in a room and shouting "FIGURE IT OUT!" Except they're studios...you can't drag studios anywhere and the people inside are surrounded by a bunch of like guards and shit...

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:32 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Tbh its still shitty that sony and Disney fucked up the way they did and I demand that they fix there fuck up.

I live near the Sony and Disney lots, I feel like dragging the two together and throwing them in a room and shouting "FIGURE IT OUT!" Except they're studios...you can't drag studios anywhere and the people inside are surrounded by a bunch of like guards and shit...

Dang

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:04 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:Actually the best bet would be the Lord of the Rings half way, where you use in camera tricks to make her look larger than everyone else and then enhance it in post. Centering it around a CGI character especially in a series even if these are apparently only six episodes would not look as good. She's not as big as even 'smart' or Professor Hulk. She's as big as a WNBA player. You just have to make her look 6'7". My aunt is 6 feet flat, my buddy is 6'8". You just gotta make a regular woman look a foot taller. Or see if anyone in the WNBA can act...

RDJs' stilt shoes are probably still lying around somehwere.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Forsher wrote:(There's also Jessica Drew... which despite CTOAN's drivel earlier in this thread... no-one really knows who owns.)

Apparently the Sony contract is leaked online. And, lo, a character that has Spider in their name but otherwise is nothing to do with Spider-man is an exception:

b. Non-Exclusive To SPE. SPE and Marvel share the following:
 “Kingpin” and related characters listed on the attached Schedule 7B, but
SPE may not use any of these until after Fox’s production rights to
Daredevil expire. Marvel’s use of Kingpin is restricted to use in
connection with Daredevil and other characters with which he appeared
prior to 9/15/11.
 “Jessica Drew” and specifically listed related characters. SPE may depict
Jessica Drew as Spider-Woman, and Marvel may only use her without any
Spider-Man-related elements.
 Marvel and SPE must each notify the other of any intended use of these
shared characters.

That's if that's the actual contract, of course.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 am

I'm guessing it's an older version, given that it's from 2011 and there's been some new Spider-Man stuff since then (I presume).

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Forsher wrote:
Forsher wrote:(There's also Jessica Drew... which despite CTOAN's drivel earlier in this thread... no-one really knows who owns.)

Apparently the Sony contract is leaked online. And, lo, a character that has Spider in their name but otherwise is nothing to do with Spider-man is an exception:

b. Non-Exclusive To SPE. SPE and Marvel share the following:
 “Kingpin” and related characters listed on the attached Schedule 7B, but
SPE may not use any of these until after Fox’s production rights to
Daredevil expire. Marvel’s use of Kingpin is restricted to use in
connection with Daredevil and other characters with which he appeared
prior to 9/15/11.
 “Jessica Drew” and specifically listed related characters. SPE may depict
Jessica Drew as Spider-Woman, and Marvel may only use her without any
Spider-Man-related elements.
 Marvel and SPE must each notify the other of any intended use of these
shared characters.

So basically the same as the Quicksilver / Scarlet Witch thing.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Wow...still holding on to that. Weird.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:55 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Forsher wrote:

So basically the same as the Quicksilver / Scarlet Witch thing.

Essentially, yes. Though this contract also seems to add a category of 'frozen rights to use,' or less legalisticly, characters and whatnot that Sony has something like half the rights to, and someone else has the other part (on the sane end, Spidey joining the FF, on the insane end, Spider-Wolverine).

What I find rather amusing is that there's a clause saying that Marvel/Disney can't use a specific villian/character in a TV show (since Sony has film rights only) for a period of time around a given movie, provided that Sony inform Marvel/Disney in a particular way in advance.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Sony and Disney are two very retarded corporations and corporations in general can go fuck themselves, those money hungry pricks.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction