NATION

PASSWORD

Photography Thread: All in a Snap!

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Photography Thread: All in a Snap!

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:25 am

A picture says a thousand words. A video says a thousand pictures. Sometimes... a picture is all you need and the most convenient form.

Wait, hmm... I'm surprised that this has not been done yet? Or maybe it was... I tried checking it, last photography-related thread was in 2014, or something.

Anyway, Photography - the humble beginnings of those pinhole cameras and light boxes, to film-based cameras, to digital cameras, and finally to smartphones as of now. Changes are very good that if you have a phone (even a flip phone), you have definitely snapped a photo before. It's like an intermediate medium like that quote that I kinda made myself. I like writing, and I am not the one to denounce or jab at it, but sometimes... nothing describes it precisely and accurately like a picture does.

With that out of the way, a couple of talking points from yours truly. :P

- Do you do part-time photography, or full-time? Hobby, Amateur, or Professional?
- What kind of equipment do you use? Perhaps the earliest camera you have, or the latest one, either one, tell us more!
- Share some shots, of course!

As for myself, my interest in photography began around perhaps 2013-2014. Back then, smartphones are hitting the market even more than ever, and the tech specs and number wars mostly include the one bragging points - the camera. I got myself Nokia's Lumia 1020, which I still have it even to this day for some shots here and there. The 34/38 MP shots, along with the digital negatives (DNGs) that came later, are some of the best features, but the icing on the cake has to be the manual system. This is possibly the best phone (at its time) that allows you to control the white balance, ISO, shutter speed, exposure, etc. (more about the terms here!). So this was already an entry for me into the world of photography.

However, it would have probably went wayyyy back; in 2010, my family went beyond a simple digital camera, and bought a Nikon D5100, for better family shots, and to keep those memories in sharper detail. It is great to shoot with, but back then, I wasn't really interested. However, come end of 2015, I really started to take it as a hobby, with the camera now more or less mine - I used it alone when I am walking around a garden, and my family and I still use it for our group shots, or those memorable moments. It has followed me to Burma, Hong Kong (in 2017), and it's been my best friend for 8 years and counting. I have no intention of replacing my DSLR until it breaks one day.

Earliest equipment? I don't know, there was this little digital camera that is operated by AA batteries. I forgot the name of it.

Short novel aside, I am still doing photography as a hobby! For this holiday, I'm still walking around Singapore, visiting gardens, amusement parks, museums, and my D5100 would more or less there be with me all the way. I also recently bought a tripod, after the previous two broke due to age, and... let's say cheaper quality.

Current equipment? Aforementioned Nikon D5100, with Tamron's 18-200mm all-in-one lens, because for a hobbyist, a single lens is more than enough. Adobe Lightroom for edits.

Here's a shot that I have most recently took last Friday:

A month ago or so, at Botanical Gardens Singapore:

From a year or two ago, at ArtScience Museum:

I do it all for non-profit, of course! :lol: I just love the idea of taking photos, and to share with you people. ^^

For the time being, I unfortunately can't show or post any photos about Burma yet, reason being: I am a bit lazy to trawl through my files, and also because most of them would give away my relative homes.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Yesterday's highlight:

So, I went to a park nearby to take some shots with my tripod, and I got a lot more than I thought. There was a Lantern Festival going on, and there's foods galore!

^ This could have been better... it was a little too noisy!
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 pm

I was planning on making this thread you ninja. >_>
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 pm

New haven america wrote:I was planning on making this thread you ninja. >_>

Hehe, whoops! On the bright side, I guess who both shared the same interest! :P
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:52 am

I'm a pretty keen amateur photographer. I've got a Nikon D3200 and a Nikon Coolpix S33.
Everything is intertwinkled

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:29 pm

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I'm a pretty keen amateur photographer. I've got a Nikon D3200 and a Nikon Coolpix S33.

Oooh, pretty cool stuff! What lens are you using now at the moment?

I used to have two of them - 18-55 mm, and 55-200 mm, both came with the camera. But I unfortunately damaged the former a little when I dropped the DSLR whilst in a bag, so... it was finally time for a new one after so many years.

Tamron's 18-200 mm is still my daily driver.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Valehart
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 13, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Valehart » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:07 pm

I'm an amateur photographer at best, and I haven't got a single clue about camera equipment, settings, etc., but it's damn good fun isn't it?
I've got a Nikon D3400 and I took some (by some I mean hundreds), of photos when I went to Europe over the summer. Though my phone camera's good enough to take ones too.
These are the best I could find so far

Some town in southern France (I forgot the name)

Florence

Vatican city
VALEHART >> VISIT TODAY << FACTBOOK UPVOTES ARE APPRECIATED : - )

A VENUSIAN CLOUD CITY-STATE // "WHILE EARTH CRUMBLED, VENUS ENDURED! VENTURE ON, VALEHART!" — ANONYMOUS
VALEHART: "If Cyberpunk 2077 and The Expanse had a baby" // "Essentially a libertarian Singapore / Hong Kong but on Venus." // "NEWS.V.OS" // "Spotify Playlist" // "Original Art" //

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:09 pm

Oooh, looking great, my friend! ^^ Those are some sweet shots, hehe. :D

Would love to visit around the world one day! Maybe after my studies are over.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:14 am

Valentine Z wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I'm a pretty keen amateur photographer. I've got a Nikon D3200 and a Nikon Coolpix S33.

Oooh, pretty cool stuff! What lens are you using now at the moment?

I used to have two of them - 18-55 mm, and 55-200 mm, both came with the camera. But I unfortunately damaged the former a little when I dropped the DSLR whilst in a bag, so... it was finally time for a new one after so many years.

The lens I use most is a Nikon 50mm. The other workhorse for me is a Tamron 70-300mm, which is great as it is a combined zoom and macro lens.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:25 pm

My main camera is currently a Canon EOS 70D, which I have been using since 2014. It has travelled to Barcelona, Paris and Brussels, and has even witnessed the Grenfell disaster.

Those photos, even after leaving the UK, will be a haunting reminder of the day that destroyed what little faith I still had in the UK.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:47 am

Minoa wrote:My main camera is currently a Canon EOS 70D, which I have been using since 2014. It has travelled to Barcelona, Paris and Brussels, and has even witnessed the Grenfell disaster.

Those photos, even after leaving the UK, will be a haunting reminder of the day that destroyed what little faith I still had in the UK.

Sorry to hear about your situation. :/ Here's to me just hoping that it will get better eventually! Some things, indeed, can have a picture taken of them, because... you know, you never know when change is going to happen - for better, or for worse.

Took a few more shots at Singapore Botanic Gardens on Wednesday. Here're my highlights:

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:Oooh, pretty cool stuff! What lens are you using now at the moment?

The lens I use most is a Nikon 50mm. The other workhorse for me is a Tamron 70-300mm, which is great as it is a combined zoom and macro lens.

I tried out Sigma's 18-300 mm in a shop back on Wednesday. It was... well, since it's in a store, I can't exactly tell the difference between 200 mm and 300 mm, so I guess I need to test it outside.

But holy hell, 650 SGD / 473 USD? That's some serious dough!
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:08 am

Valentine Z wrote:But holy hell, 650 SGD / 473 USD? That's some serious dough!

Yeah most lenses are way out of my price range.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:27 am

I have a good camera dont remember the model but its expensive so I mostly just use the phone.

Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:03 am

First shot, with some Photoshop, could be an excellent heavy metal cover. Cool shot! ^^
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:50 am

Valentine Z wrote:First shot, with some Photoshop, could be an excellent heavy metal cover. Cool shot! ^^

It's a Cooper's Hawk. They're weird birds. Most raptors can't be found under about 12 feet unless they're eating. This one was about 4 feet off the ground and some of them if not the same one still sit on that fence now and again.
Anarchist

Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"

Phoenix2012
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2012

Postby Phoenix2012 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:03 am

I do both digi and film, but I've really been trying to do a lot more film since the beginning of the summer.

This is my oldest camera, c.1955

I don't have any scans from it yet (there's a light leak in the second curtain that I'm working on), but here's a few pics from a similar camera

Said camera:

Pictures:
Last edited by Phoenix2012 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:20 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:First shot, with some Photoshop, could be an excellent heavy metal cover. Cool shot! ^^

It's a Cooper's Hawk. They're weird birds. Most raptors can't be found under about 12 feet unless they're eating. This one was about 4 feet off the ground and some of them if not the same one still sit on that fence now and again.

Heh, weird birds. Weird as in... their behavior, or something else? I would take being weird as pecking on everything that they can see. :P

Phoenix2012 wrote:I do both digi and film, but I've really been trying to do a lot more film since the beginning of the summer.

I don't have any scans from it yet (there's a light leak in the second curtain that I'm working on), but here's a few pics from a similar camera

Said camera:

Pictures:

Damn, film shots are badass! And I love the shots as well. Goes to show that anything that is taken care of the long time, will still have their charm. That is also why I am not planning to upgrade from my Nikon D5100, unless it craps out on me, which I'm hoping that it won't. :P

I never got into the film territory because, well, I tend to take a crapton of shots, and also because I sort of grew up more to the digital medium. Not to say that either medium is superior, but my personal preference is on digital.

-----

One of my many shots from last week, taken at Jewels @ Changi Airport, Singapore: https://imgur.com/FsJiZEB
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:41 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:It's a Cooper's Hawk. They're weird birds. Most raptors can't be found under about 12 feet unless they're eating. This one was about 4 feet off the ground and some of them if not the same one still sit on that fence now and again.

Heh, weird birds. Weird as in... their behavior, or something else? I would take being weird as pecking on everything that they can see. :P

Phoenix2012 wrote:I do both digi and film, but I've really been trying to do a lot more film since the beginning of the summer.

Said camera:

Pictures:

Damn, film shots are badass! And I love the shots as well. Goes to show that anything that is taken care of the long time, will still have their charm. That is also why I am not planning to upgrade from my Nikon D5100, unless it craps out on me, which I'm hoping that it won't. :P

I never got into the film territory because, well, I tend to take a crapton of shots, and also because I sort of grew up more to the digital medium. Not to say that either medium is superior, but my personal preference is on digital.

-----

One of my many shots from last week, taken at Jewels @ Changi Airport, Singapore: https://imgur.com/FsJiZEB

Weird as in there are plenty of trees for it to sit in but it sits on our fence some 4 feet off the ground. Raptors normally don't get that close to the ground unless they're feeding. This one though? It didn't care.
Anarchist

Phoenix2012
Minister

Postby Phoenix2012 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:19 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:It's a Cooper's Hawk. They're weird birds. Most raptors can't be found under about 12 feet unless they're eating. This one was about 4 feet off the ground and some of them if not the same one still sit on that fence now and again.

Said camera:

Pictures:

-----

Yep, I've held on to my Nikon dslr too. Haven't really felt the need to get a new camera for maybe 5 or 6 years now. The last new camera I bought was the Fuji XPro, and until either of them dies on me, the only thing that would make me get a new camera is going full frame.

I like digital, but I also like film. Digital is definitely much more convenient, but there's something thrilling about shooting film. The darkroom stuff is all very relaxing as well.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Phoenix2012 wrote:This is my oldest camera, c.1955

I have cameras from the 1930s. :)
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Phoenix2012
Minister

Postby Phoenix2012 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:30 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Phoenix2012 wrote:This is my oldest camera, c.1955

I have cameras from the 1930s. :)

Funny enough, I just got one today :p

serial dates to 1934
Last edited by Phoenix2012 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Phoenix2012 wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I have cameras from the 1930s. :)

serial dates to 1934

I've never been particularly enamoured with rangefinders because of the parallax error. I'm willing to shoulder the extra weight of an SLR for WYSIWYG.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Phoenix2012
Minister

Postby Phoenix2012 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:51 pm

Phoenix2012 wrote:

serial dates to 1934

I've never been particularly enamoured with rangefinders because of the parallax error. I'm willing to shoulder the extra weight of an SLR for WYSIWYG.

hmm well it depends on the subject. Parallax isn't much of an issue unless you're within 3 meters or so, and even that can be corrected by framing. The only reason I would probably shoot that close would probably for portraits. For general scenery and travel type stuff, RF are a nice compact package, especially with the collapsing lenses, I could carry one around in my pocket.

And for portraits, I agree I'd break out one of the

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:59 pm

Phoenix2012 wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I've never been particularly enamoured with rangefinders because of the parallax error. I'm willing to shoulder the extra weight of an SLR for WYSIWYG.

hmm well it depends on the subject. Parallax isn't much of an issue unless you're within 3 meters or so, and even that can be corrected by framing. The only reason I would probably shoot that close would probably for portraits. For general scenery and travel type stuff, RF are a nice compact package, especially with the collapsing lenses, I could carry one around in my pocket.

I'd disagree. I have found parallax error to be noticeable at any subject distance. I am often quite particular about getting a certain part of the subject perfectly centred, which I have found is only possible with an SLR; as far as film goes at least.

Wave on, wave on

Phoenix2012
Minister

Postby Phoenix2012 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:16 pm

Phoenix2012 wrote:

I'd disagree. I have found parallax error to be noticeable at any subject distance. I am often quite particular about getting a certain part of the subject perfectly centred, which I have found is only possible with an SLR; as far as film goes at least.

Interesting. Perhaps it involves different styles of photography or perhaps I subconsciously adjust for parallax. What RF cameras have you used in the past? There are some with parallax correcting framlines that might help.

Here's some closer stuff shot on several different RF cameras, there isn't much parallax error that I could see:

https://imgur.com/a/15VIa1A

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction