NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:06 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:EDIT: I quite like the "promoting anarchy in the name of religion" issue idea though.
I came up with an effect line too:
"citizens pray the government will become less religious"

I like that. That's a nice effect line.

Have you considered writing this issue, Trotterdam?
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:12 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:Have you considered writing this issue, Trotterdam?
I'd need to come up with all the other options and the triggering incident that caused the subject to come up in the first place. So not really.

In fact, you recently submitted a "people are upset that religiousness is declining" issue yourself, so this could possibly work as a last-minute option on there, although it kinda has enough options already and it'd be a bit disjointed from the main discussion.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:23 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Have you considered writing this issue, Trotterdam?
I'd need to come up with all the other options and the triggering incident that caused the subject to come up in the first place. So not really.

In fact, you recently submitted a "people are upset that religiousness is declining" issue yourself, so this could possibly work as a last-minute option on there, although it kinda has enough options already and it'd be a bit disjointed from the main discussion.

Eh, I submitted it. It doesn't guarantee it's going to ever be put into the game.

If someone else has another "religiousness is declining" issue idea that they want to work on, another being submitted shouldn't prevent that.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:57 am

is there any issue on SNC Lavalin?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:22 am

I still really want to write an issue about snow removal. Any ideas about how to make it relevant to a national leader?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I guess having signed a Climate Treaty doesn't strictly prevent choosing #733 option 5, but it's still pretty funny. Didn't even kick me out of the treaty.

Yeah, maybe it should.

Made it so.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:18 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:I guess having signed a Climate Treaty doesn't strictly prevent choosing #733 option 5, but it's still pretty funny. Didn't even kick me out of the treaty.

Yeah, maybe it should.

Made it so.

But why should it? Why can't it serve as a reversal?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:16 pm

That's what I've done. Made it a reversal.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:37 pm

May I ask, are there any issues that reverse the "No Prisons" policy?
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:00 pm

The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:May I ask, are there any issues that reverse the "No Prisons" policy?

#199 is a direct reversal. #232 and #1200 have doppelganger options to reverse it as a side-effect.

That needn't put you off writing an issue that contains an option to reverse the No Prisons policy, as long as the story is interesting and cohesive.

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:04 am

On that topic is there any issues that focus on the welfare of prisoners like in Halden in Norway.

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Founded: Aug 20, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 am

New Ladavia wrote:On that topic is there any issues that focus on the welfare of prisoners like in Halden in Norway.

Not exactly modelled after Halden but Issue #43 discusses upgrading the welfare of prisoners in an overcrowding prison.
유애나 | YOU & I

| Community is my name and community-building is my game |

H A L L Y U S A N C T U A R Y

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:46 am

Incidentally:
#428 2. forecasts predict rains of loose lead and mortar shells for the next six weeks
#1255 1. the daily weather forecast often predicts light showers of debris

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:23 am

I have searched the issues database but in the very case someone has the knowledge and I may have missed it ... Is there an issue that tackles the legality of 'citzen's arrest' and the meritocracy that comes with it?
유애나 | YOU & I

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:43 am

Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:I have searched the issues database but in the very case someone has the knowledge and I may have missed it ... Is there an issue that tackles the legality of 'citzen's arrest' and the meritocracy that comes with it?
I can't remember anything about citizen's arrest. What do you mean by meritocracy?

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:30 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:I have searched the issues database but in the very case someone has the knowledge and I may have missed it ... Is there an issue that tackles the legality of 'citzen's arrest' and the meritocracy that comes with it?
I can't remember anything about citizen's arrest. What do you mean by meritocracy?

My draft involves having the government give incentive for people to make proper citizen's arrests. For example, there'll be some cash rewards for catching litterbugs.
유애나 | YOU & I

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:03 am

Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:My draft involves having the government give incentive for people to make proper citizen's arrests. For example, there'll be some cash rewards for catching litterbugs.
Interesting. I can see why that would be a good idea and also how it could go horribly, horribly wrong.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:17 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:My draft involves having the government give incentive for people to make proper citizen's arrests. For example, there'll be some cash rewards for catching litterbugs.
Interesting. I can see why that would be a good idea and also how it could go horribly, horribly wrong.

We've already got an issue about costumed vigilantes, with an option to pay them... Overlap?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:32 am

Bears Armed wrote:We've already got an issue about costumed vigilantes, with an option to pay them... Overlap?
Hmm, true. I didn't think of that because the point of citizen's arrest is that it's mostly done by people who aren't career vigilantes, who just happened to be in the right place at the right time. But if you start paying people for it, you're likely to see an uptick in vigilantism. That would be fine for one option, but not the premise of the entire issue.

Upper Nowhere
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Baldness as an Issue

Postby Upper Nowhere » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 am

I have some ideas about a craze for mocking bald people being a problem, with suggestions to punish the mockers, to reverse baldness or to hide it.

Is there an existing Issue that covers similar territory?

All information gratefully received.

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:27 am

Upper Nowhere wrote:I have some ideas about a craze for mocking bald people being a problem, with suggestions to punish the mockers, to reverse baldness or to hide it.

Is there an existing Issue that covers similar territory?

All information gratefully received.

Issue 729 appears to be similar - it's about 'Kick a Ginger Day'

Fontenais
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fontenais » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:34 am

Nation of Quebec wrote:Multiple gaps exist within the issue base. Please consider closing these with good quality issue drafts, which will be prioritised for publication:

No Adultery - Adultery is banned by several issues, and the ban is reversed in one issue that has quite stringent validity criteria. Low priority: An issue that reverses this with non-stringent entry requirements.

Is No Adultery only reversed in issue #314? I think the entry criteria for this issue are that Nation must not have the No Prisons policy, the No Dissent policy, or the State Press policy. Is that right?
Last edited by Fontenais on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Japanese Schoolgirls
Attaché

Postby Japanese Schoolgirls » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:46 am

Trotterdam wrote:

In terms of going wrong, are you referring to the idea of citizens' arrest or the idea of writing it as an issue? :lol:
유애나 | YOU & I

Great Robertia
Envoy

Founded: Jul 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Robertia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 am

I've been looking around in the collection of issues thread and the NSIndex, being only able to find one issue that specifically is about Sortition, namely #465: Lottocracy Causing Lots Of Trouble.

Are there any other issues that have Sortition/Lottocracy as their primary subject that I missed or is it a subject not yet that expanded upon in the Issues base?
The Imperial State of Great Robertia

Current year: 2022 CE | Monarch: Empress Maria Roberta I | Chancellor: WIP | Capital: Saint Robertsburg | Government type: Unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy | Technology level: Post-modern tech
List of Authored Writings | Factbook on Great Robertia
Played nations
  • Daarwyrth
  • Great Robertia
  • Uylensted
About me:
  • 26 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:21 am

Fontenais wrote:Is No Adultery only reversed in issue #314? I think the entry criteria for this issue are that Nation must not have the No Prisons policy, the No Dissent policy, or the State Press policy. Is that right?
I count five issues that appear to remove the No Adultery policy, although this is misleading, as most of these do so as a side effect of banning marriage entirely (and if you later bring marriage back, the ban on adultery will come back with it). #314 option 2 appears to be the only proper No Adultery reversal.

The only definite validities I can identify for #314 is that the nation must have No Adultery and not have No Marriage (which hides No Adultery anyway). Also forbidding No Prisons would make sense, and my data does suggest it's relatively rare for nations with No Prisons to answer the issue, but it's happened more recently than with, say, Vegetarianism or No Nuclear Power, which obviously make no sense as validities.

Japanese Schoolgirls wrote:In terms of going wrong, are you referring to the idea of citizens' arrest or the idea of writing it as an issue? :lol:
Yes.

Great Robertia wrote:I've been looking around in the collection of issues thread and the NSIndex, being only able to find one issue that specifically is about Sortition, namely #465: Lottocracy Causing Lots Of Trouble.

Are there any other issues that have Sortition/Lottocracy as their primary subject that I missed or is it a subject not yet that expanded upon in the Issues base?
That does appear to be the only issue that specifically addresses nations with sortition, although several other issues can remove the Sortition policy as a result of people complaining about not having democracy in general, which are assigned to both sortition-using nations and autocracies, or as a result of switching to autocracy.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?