NATION

PASSWORD

2019-2020 College Football Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

2019-2020 College Football Discussion Thread

Postby Torisakia » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Disclaimer: This thread is for debating and discussing the sport called "football" (more commonly known as American football, gridiron, or handegg) in the United States of America played at the collegiate level. For discussion of the sport called "soccer" in North America that's called "football" elsewhere in the world, try here.

It's time to, once again, start yet another college football thread. I didn't see one posted on the first five pages of General and since Week Zero is almost upon us I figured might as well start the thread up.

The 2019-2020 season starts, technically, on August 24th with the "Week Zero" games. Most notable of them is Miami vs Florida in Orlando, but there's a few others such as Samford-Youngstown State in the FCS Kickoff and Arizona and Hawaii for all you late nighters. Not the most exciting matchups but it's football nonetheless. The real entertainment starts on August 31st with games like Auburn-Oregon in the Cowboys Kickoff, Boise State-Florida State, and Alabama-Duke I guess. There really aren't that many "good" games that day. Week 2 is where it really starts with LSU-Texas.

A few things to look out for this coming season:
- Will Alabama rebound and continue to be a dominant team despite getting assblasted in last year's championship or is the dynasty finally dead?
- How will new transfers (specifically transfer quarterbacks) perform at their new schools like Jalen Hurts at Oklahoma, Justin Fields at Ohio State, Tate Martell at Miami, etc?
- Can Clemson run the table again and become the first team to have back-to-back undefeated seasons since Nebraska in 94-95 or will Syracuse beat them again?
- How long will Urban Meyer pretend to be sick and will he be the first candidate for the USC job at the end of the season?
- Will there finally be an 8 OT game this season even with the new rule change once we reach 5 OTs?

Going point by point here. I doubt that the dynasty is over at Alabama just yet. Yes they got utterly demolished against Clemson in the championship last season but that was to an undefeated Clemson team with talent all around the board. It isn't like the lost 44-16 to Lousiana-Monroe (although back in 2007 it felt like they lost that badly to them). And every time Alabama's lost in the postseason (2008, 2013, and 2014) and the media has stirred the narrative of Alabama finally going down the toilet they more often than not rise to the occasion and end up winning the national championship. So sorry to everyone, but the Alabama dynasty is still strong and probably will be strong until Saban retires or the NCAA reopens their investigation into Alabama from the early 2000s and finds even more violations and does give the program the death penalty for good. Whichever comes first.

The transfer quarterbacks will most likely do fine at their new schools, especially Jalen Hurts at OU because we all know Big 12 teams don't have defenses. But what really brings my piss to a boil is all these players getting waivers to be eligible to play immediately for seemingly no reason at all. Justin Fields got one because, according to him, he was subject to racial issues at UGA. Fair enough, but why the hell does Tate Martell get one when he transfers to Miami when, as far as I know, he had no reason to get one. He only left Ohio State because his starting job, which was originally thought to be guaranteed when Dwayne Haskins graduated, was not so guaranteed when Fields came in so he pulled a Blake Barnett and left. The NCAA is giving these waivers out like candy and for mostly the wrong reasons. It's unfair to these other players who transfer but have to sit out a year. There's going to be exceptions sure, but my god at least have some consistency.

Can Clemson go undefeated again? It's possible. Is it likely? Eh about 50/50 chance. Hard to tell in the preseason. But they would need two more undefeated season plus three more wins the season after to break the NCAA winning streak record. Given how weak the ACC seems to be right now I'd say there's potential.

Urban Meyer doing the same shit he did in 2010 and claiming he's sick and he'll just take a year off then take the USC job when it opens up at the end of the season so he can face Alabama in his first game there. Same shit different stretch of years. Yawn.

We'll get an 8 OT game eventually, but with this new rule where teams alternate 2 point conversion attempts at the start of the fifth overtime will make it more difficult. But when it does happen there's a 93% chance it will involve two SEC teams.

So what about you, college football fans? What are your bold predictions for the upcoming season? Is the dynasty over at Alabama and will they go 0-12 and lose by 35+ points every game? Will Kansas finally make the playoff with Les Miles at the helm? There are no wrong answers (except yours). Feel free to vote in the poll on who you believe will win the CFP championship (teams were picked based on the preseason AP poll so don't flame me for not having a certain team in there that's why I put 'Other'), and I'll try to change the poll as the season goes along.

Also Texas is still not back. No matter what Sam Ehlinger tells you.

Congratulations to the LSU Tigers on winning the CFP National Championship, finishing a perfect 15-0 season along with a Heisman Trophy winner. The 2020-2021 thread will be up sometime in August or something so look forward to that.
Last edited by Torisakia on Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:45 am

Sorry, I had to vote for my boys and purple and gold.

Once again we stand at the Pinnacle of the start of the greatest season in the world, football season. A lot is going to happen this year and we, the fans, will have much to talk about. I will, as last season, post the scores of the AP top 25 teams and the new standings as they come out. At least, until the cfp pulled comes out close to the middle of the season. At that time, each week, I will wait for the cfp playoff poll to come out before I post the new rankings for the week.

I will personally be attending won LSU football game, that will be the season opener on August 31st against Georgia Southern. Expect me to post a couple pictures from it.

Now, let's Geaux Tigers!

Coming Soon
Preseason poll, then Week 1 Scores and Polls.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Grand Proudhonia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Proudhonia » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:39 am

Guess I will bump this thread as it seems to have gotten lost

regardless, Im all in with The Longhorns this year.... Tom Herman and his team showed a level of confidence and physical toughness against Georgia last year that we have seen out of the team since 2009... Im confident QB Sam Elingher will lead the team to an easy Big 12 Championship and beyond.

obligatory OU sucks
The Mutualist Society of Grand Proudhonia
"Property Is Theft, Property Is Liberty"

If you have any questions about Mutualist Political Philosophy, feel free to send me a telegram!

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:00 am

Torisakia wrote:Disclaimer: This thread is for debating and discussing the sport called "football" (more commonly known as American football, gridiron, or handegg) in the United States of America played at the collegiate level. For discussion of the sport called "soccer" in North America that's called "football" elsewhere in the world, try here (although that thread seems to be stillborn at the moment).

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=471314

There's a new thread. For the new season of association football. please adapt the OP :)
The Blaatschapen should resign

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Welp Alabama's title hopes are possibly fucked with the season ending injury to Dylan Moses. The only way I see them making the CFP is through another 2017 miracle. And even still they would stand no chance against Clemson. Seriously what the fuck are they doing in these practices that are causing all these players to get hurt?

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Torisakia wrote:Disclaimer: This thread is for debating and discussing the sport called "football" (more commonly known as American football, gridiron, or handegg) in the United States of America played at the collegiate level. For discussion of the sport called "soccer" in North America that's called "football" elsewhere in the world, try here (although that thread seems to be stillborn at the moment).

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=471314

There's a new thread. For the new season of association football. please adapt the OP :)

Got it. Thanks Blaat!
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:54 pm

You put notre dame in the poll but left out the Gators? Come on man
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Thermodolia wrote:You put notre dame in the poll but left out the Gators? Come on man

(teams were picked based on the preseason AP poll so don't flame me for not having a certain team in there that's why I put 'Other')

Also Notre Dame has a better chance to win it than Florida does honestly.
Last edited by Torisakia on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Latest Headlines

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:31 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:You put notre dame in the poll but left out the Gators? Come on man

(teams were picked based on the preseason AP poll so don't flame me for not having a certain team in there that's why I put 'Other')

That makes even less sense as to why you left the gators out. Florida is ranked 8 in that poll while ND is ranked 9. There’s some fucking heavy bias in this poll
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Torisakia wrote:

That makes even less sense as to why you left the gators out. Florida is ranked 8 in that poll while ND is ranked 9. There’s some fucking heavy bias in this poll

You're right. I just hate Florida, that's all. And judging by how they played against Miami I don't think they'll be in the playoff anytime soon.

Latest Headlines

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:05 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:That makes even less sense as to why you left the gators out. Florida is ranked 8 in that poll while ND is ranked 9. There’s some fucking heavy bias in this poll

You're right. I just hate Florida, that's all. And judging by how they played against Miami I don't think they'll be in the playoff anytime soon.

It’s the first game of the season. Besides Florida has a far better chance than ND
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:57 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Torisakia wrote:You're right. I just hate Florida, that's all. And judging by how they played against Miami I don't think they'll be in the playoff anytime soon.

It’s the first game of the season. Besides Florida has a far better chance than ND

That remains to be seen.

In other news, Tennessee still sucks.

Latest Headlines

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:33 pm

Guess who was screaming Geaux Tigers at LSU's Death Valley? That's right. Me.

I didn't expect Georgia Southern to be as much of a match for the Tigers, and the fact that LSU held them to 3 points while scoring a whopping 55 Points was something I expected.

Still, if anyone watched the telecast on the SEC Network, I did make an appearance as I was in the middle section behind the South Endzone Goalpost. Pictures are via a friend who was watching it on TV.

I will be posting scores for the TOP 25 teams after the final game Monday Night. So expect the scores either Monday Night, or Tuesday Morning/Afternoon.
Last edited by Shazbotdom on Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:02 am

Shazbotdom wrote:Guess who was screaming Geaux Tigers at LSU's Death Valley? That's right. Me.

I didn't expect Georgia Southern to be as much of a match for the Tigers, and the fact that LSU held them to 3 points while scoring a whopping 55 Points was something I expected.

Still, if anyone watched the telecast on the SEC Network, I did make an appearance as I was in the middle section behind the South Endzone Goalpost. Pictures are via a friend who was watching it on TV.

(Image)

(Image)

I will be posting scores for the TOP 25 teams after the final game Monday Night. So expect the scores either Monday Night, or Tuesday Morning/Afternoon.

Nice beard. Are you shirtless in the second pic though?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:15 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Shazbotdom wrote:Guess who was screaming Geaux Tigers at LSU's Death Valley? That's right. Me.

(Image)

(Image)

Nice beard. Are you shirtless in the second pic though?

No. I never got that drunk. The guy in front of me was just blocking.

Volkish Amerika
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Volkish Amerika » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:51 am

Torisakia wrote:

Notre Dame can get fucked. Georgia's going all the way this year.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:59 am

(Image)

(Image)

At least they didn't run through your ass like shit through a tin horn.

Volkish Amerika wrote:Georgia's going all the way this year.

Until Alabama puts the backup QB in.

Latest Headlines

Grand Proudhonia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Proudhonia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:51 pm

Grand Proudhonia wrote:Guess I will bump this thread as it seems to have gotten lost

regardless, Im all in with The Longhorns this year.... Tom Herman and his team showed a level of confidence and physical toughness against Georgia last year that we have seen out of the team since 2009... Im confident QB Sam Elingher will lead the team to an easy Big 12 Championship and beyond.

obligatory OU sucks

I am even more confident in this after that blow out last night

If you have any questions about Mutualist Political Philosophy, feel free to send me a telegram!

Grand Proudhonia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Proudhonia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:55 pm

(Image)

(Image)

Looks like my Longhorns will be battling your Tigers next week, two absolute blow out games from both programs... bound to be a hell of a battle for both sides

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:49 pm

OU defense letting up so Jalen doesn't get pulled. 200 IQ

Latest Headlines

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Grand Proudhonia wrote:

(Image)

(Image)

Looks like my Longhorns will be battling your Tigers next week, two absolute blow out games from both programs... bound to be a hell of a battle for both sides

Yeah but LA Tech got 2 TDs off of your Defense. All S. Georgia got off of us was a field goal. We also raked up more points than y'all. I think were going to pull out at least a 2 TD won over your Longhorns.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:21 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:
Grand Proudhonia wrote:Looks like my Longhorns will be battling your Tigers next week, two absolute blow out games from both programs... bound to be a hell of a battle for both sides

Yeah but LA Tech got 2 TDs off of your Defense. All S. Georgia got off of us was a field goal. We also raked up more points than y'all. I think were going to pull out at least a 2 TD won over your Longhorns.

Watch it be 0-0 at the end of regulation.

Latest Headlines

Chia Dal
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Chia Dal » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:43 am

Roll Tide all the way and I hope LSU is ready because Bama is gonna win it for the 9th time in a row.
Government Type: Federation
Leader: President Alexis Potter
Tech Level: MT/PMT
Territories: All of Europe, the Islands of the Caribbean, the Azores off the coast of Africa, Diego Garcia, the Soloman Islands, Namibia, South Africa and all of Russia west of the Ural Mountains
Country name: The European Federation
Founding Year: 1918

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Chia Dal wrote:Roll Tide all the way and I hope LSU is ready because Bama is gonna win it for the 9th time in a row.

I would rather win out all of the games EXCEPT Alabama. Why do you ask?

Because history has taught us, that with rematch games in NCAA Football, the rematch favors the loser of the first game. And if we win all our games except Alabama, it is an extremely strong case for us to be picked to go into the CFP, which would put us in a position to play the Tide a second time in the postseason.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:31 pm

For this year, I will be bolding and Italicizing the Winner and Underlining the rank for ALL ranked teams. I will maintain the same formatting (table) for the Polls when they come out.

Georgia Tech 14 - 52 Clemson (1)
Duke 3 - 42 Alabama (2)
Georgia (3) 30 - 6 Vanderbilt
Houston 31 - 49 Oklahoma (4)
Florida Atlantic 21 - 45 Ohio State (5)
Georgia Southern 3 - 55 Louisiana State (6)
Middle TN 21 - 40 Michigan (7)
Miami (FL) 20 - 24 Florida (8)
Notre Dame (9) 35 - 17 Louisville
Louisiana Tech 14 - 45 Texas (10)
Oregon (11) 21 - 27 Auburn (16)
Texas State 7 - 41 Texas A&M (12)
East Washington 14 - 47 Washington (13)
Utah (14) 30 - 12 BYU
Idaho 7 - 79 Penn State (15)
Florida A&M 0 - 62 University of Central Florida (17)
Tulsa 7 - 28 Michigan State (18)
Wisconson (19) 49 - Univesrity of Southern Florida
Miami (OH) 14 - 38 Iowa (20)
Northern Iowa 26 - 29 Iowa State (21)
Syracuse (22) 24 - 0 Liberty
New Mexico State 7 - 58 Washington State (23)
South Alabama 21 - 35 Nebraska (24)
Northwestern 7 - 17 Stanford (25)

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:19 am

Shazbotdom wrote:
Chia Dal wrote:Roll Tide all the way and I hope LSU is ready because Bama is gonna win it for the 9th time in a row.

I would rather win out all of the games EXCEPT Alabama. Why do you ask?

Because history has taught us, that with rematch games in NCAA Football, the rematch favors the loser of the first game. And if we win all our games except Alabama, it is an extremely strong case for us to be picked to go into the CFP, which would put us in a position to play the Tide a second time in the postseason.

Do you actually think the committee would allow another Alabama-LSU postseason matchup? Have you forgotten how people lost their ever-loving shit when it happened the first time?

Latest Headlines

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General