NATION

PASSWORD

BattleBots Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Window Land wrote:
Kohr wrote:Wow... now we know why they got a rematch at the Live Stream event.

Who got a rematch?

Also, glad to see hypershock vs bite force being slightly less one sided.

Bronco and Free Shipping did, since that fight was a disaster. I think you'll find this much more satisfying.

Window Land
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Window Land » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:06 am

Kohr wrote:
Window Land wrote:Who got a rematch?

Also, glad to see hypershock vs bite force being slightly less one sided.

Bronco and Free Shipping did, since that fight was a disaster. I think you'll find this much more satisfying.

That is much more satisfying. Thank you kohr.
Bored college student who is probably supposed to be doing something important.
Woodie Flowers wrote:If you’re anti-science, you’re pro-stupid.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winston Churchill wrote:Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.

Randall Munroe wrote: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Free Speech

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Kohr wrote:Also, Bite Force is 3-0, but they look more beatable this season. Two JDs and reduced mobility early in both of those fights. I'm saying they won't repeat as champions.

Absolutely looking beatable, great main event. Who do you think will break the streak?

Also I hope we see more bots go round the track, love little side events like that.
Last edited by The Hoenn Region on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:17 pm

The Hoenn Region wrote:
Kohr wrote:Also, Bite Force is 3-0, but they look more beatable this season. Two JDs and reduced mobility early in both of those fights. I'm saying they won't repeat as champions.

Absolutely looking beatable, great main event. Who do you think will break the streak?

Also I hope we see more bots go round the track, love little side events like that.

Well, vertical spinners have been getting close lately, so I would say someone like Cobalt has a chance. Hydra could also do it as long as he drives better than Bronco.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Death Roll, Quantum, Blacksmith, Lock-Jaw, Tombstone, Cobalt, Sawblaze.

Everyone on this fight card is finishing their schedule, which really makes me wonder what we've been missing from the Science Channel's absence (and from the untelevised fights).

Season Record: 56-22.

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Kohr wrote:Death Roll, Quantum, Blacksmith, Lock-Jaw, Tombstone, Cobalt, Sawblaze.

Everyone on this fight card is finishing their schedule, which really makes me wonder what we've been missing from the Science Channel's absence (and from the untelevised fights).

Season Record: 56-22.

Exact same predictions. This episode is full of shit hot robots trying to qualify for the top 16, can't wait.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:11 pm

DUCK finally ran into its perfect counter.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:DUCK finally ran into its perfect counter.

Are we going to see Duck go through the Last Chance Rumble again?

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Last edited by Kohr on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Democratic Nation of Unovia
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic Nation of Unovia » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:05 pm

I call BS on the fight of Gruff vs. Tombstone. Gruff won that fight, even though Tombstone had the judges decision. He took it to Tombstone. Good for Gruff.
I think Tombstone finally shows its age.

I was surprised DUCK got beaten by Quantum. It was fun seeing DUCK get chewed on and bitten through.
Minister of Operations of New World Union! TG me for Regional Information!
As a Map Maker, I help many Regions Current Region assisting: NextGen Roleplay.
If you want my assistance with Real World Maps, please TG me.
Loyal to New World Union

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:08 pm

The Democratic Nation of Unovia wrote:I call BS on the fight of Gruff vs. Tombstone. Gruff won that fight, even though Tombstone had the judges decision. He took it to Tombstone. Good for Gruff.
I think Tombstone finally shows its age.

I was surprised DUCK got beaten by Quantum. It was fun seeing DUCK get chewed on and bitten through.

I also say Gruff got kind of screwed over. Combine that with terrible luck in the Copperhead and the Endgame fights, and I think they absolutely need to be in whatever play-in mechanism has been concocted this year (along with Duck, Quantum, and Blacksmith so far in my opinion.)

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Ha! Suck on that Rotator. You bastard.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:11 pm

I'm not sure why the Gruff Tombstone decision is so controversial. Gruff had both its weapons significantly damaged, and was barely able to turn round in circles at the end of the fight. Tombstone had no damage that I could see, and was working fine at the end.

Yes Gruff controlled the fight, but Battlebots judging criteria puts damage as being more important than control, which is always going to favour spinners. Maybe the criteria should be swapped, so control is worth 3 points and damage 2, but that would probably lead to even more controversial decisions and angry viewers. At the end of the day, most people tune in to see destruction. And while tough robots can put on great fights against big spinners, you probably wouldn't want too many of them in the tournament. Imagine how dull Gruff vs Duck would be?
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:I'm not sure why the Gruff Tombstone decision is so controversial. Gruff had both its weapons significantly damaged, and was barely able to turn round in circles at the end of the fight. Tombstone had no damage that I could see, and was working fine at the end.

Yes Gruff controlled the fight, but Battlebots judging criteria puts damage as being more important than control, which is always going to favour spinners. Maybe the criteria should be swapped, so control is worth 3 points and damage 2, but that would probably lead to even more controversial decisions and angry viewers. At the end of the day, most people tune in to see destruction. And while tough robots can put on great fights against big spinners, you probably wouldn't want too many of them in the tournament. Imagine how dull Gruff vs Duck would be?

Eh, yeah, you have some good points. The criteria will never be perfect, but that doesn't mean we're all going to stop complaining about decisions we hate.

(I would actually love to see Gruff v Duck.)
Last edited by Kohr on Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Window Land
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Window Land » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:I'm not sure why the Gruff Tombstone decision is so controversial. Gruff had both its weapons significantly damaged, and was barely able to turn round in circles at the end of the fight. Tombstone had no damage that I could see, and was working fine at the end.

This season they switched to a seven point scale with damage being 3 points and aggression and control each being 2 points. The judges gave all the damage points to tombstone and one of the aggression points to tombstone for a total of four points. The remaining three went to gruff.
Bored college student who is probably supposed to be doing something important.
Woodie Flowers wrote:If you’re anti-science, you’re pro-stupid.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winston Churchill wrote:Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.

Randall Munroe wrote: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Free Speech

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Bronco (should be fine as long as he outdrives Huge), Minotaur, SOW, Rail Gun, Witch Doctor, Breaker Box, Whiplash.

Season: 62-23

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:47 pm

Kohr wrote:Bronco (should be fine as long as he outdrives Huge), Minotaur, SOW, Rail Gun, Witch Doctor, Breaker Box, Whiplash.

Season: 62-23

Complete agreement except I think TT can take on whiplash, its spinner is brutal.
Thought huge would wreck bronco but saw a photo of bronco managing to flip huge with some crazy looking attachments, should be a good fight.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:59 pm

4-0 Witch Doctor. Just send the lightning, Lord...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:15 pm

I'm an idiot to keep picking Breaker Box. Their reliability is just atrocious.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:58 pm

Bronco needs to be put out to pasture.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:00 pm

God dammit.

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:41 am

Shatter was really impressive against minotaur, shame its hammer wasn't functioning properly though.

Kohr
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:01 am

The Hoenn Region wrote:Shatter was really impressive against minotaur, shame its hammer wasn't functioning properly though.

I think Shatter's main issue is its lack of pushing power. If you've got an overhead weapon, you need to be able to push.

The Hoenn Region
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hoenn Region » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:17 pm

Kohr wrote:
The Hoenn Region wrote:Shatter was really impressive against minotaur, shame its hammer wasn't functioning properly though.

I think Shatter's main issue is its lack of pushing power. If you've got an overhead weapon, you need to be able to push.

Yeah if you're not scoring damage you need those control points. Tbh I think shatter's overrated but the ablative armor has worked really well.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:55 am

I'm so glad that HUUUUUUGE won. After a tough start to the season, it looks like my favourite robot will be top 16 again!
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction