NATION

PASSWORD

Should we vote for women because they're women?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should we vote for women for existing?

Yes
9%
No
83%
As a male, I'm ready to be subservient to the superior gender
8%

Total votes : 264

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Should we vote for women because they're women?

Postby Nova Cyberia » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:01 am

Compelling.
In February, Nevada became the first state in the country with a female-majority legislature. By June, with the help of the state’s Democratic governor, there were stronger laws ensuring equal pay for women, tougher penalties for domestic violence, better protection for sexual-assault survivors, more money for family-planning services, an end to a requirement that forced doctors to ask women their marital status before performing an abortion and an increased minimum wage.If anyone needed proof that having more female lawmakers benefits women, Nevada certainly makes a compelling case.

And yet female voters have often rejected the idea that women should vote with gender in mind. In 2016, Nancy Pelosi told Politico podcasters, “I don’t think that any woman should be asked to vote for someone because she’s a woman.” Of course it would be ridiculous to suggest that someone hop party lines to vote along gender ones, or support a candidate who fails to prioritize what she sees as a key issue. But in primaries where contenders have similar ideologies, there’s a strong argument to be made for backing a woman.

In their book Gendered Vulnerability: How Women Work Harder to Stay in Office, political scientists Jeffrey Lazarus and Amy Steigerwalt found that women in Congress are generally more effective than their male colleagues. They point to the fact that Congresswomen tend to have more staff in their district offices, serve on committees for issues that are of most interest to their constituents and are more likely to co-sponsor legislation that helps their voters. Separate research shows that female lawmakers bring more federal money back to their districts.

Women are more likely to run for elective office for the right reasons too. In her book Women Transforming Congress, political science professor Cindy Simon Rosenthal describes surveying lawmakers about why they got into politics. Most male legislators said it was something they’d always wanted to do. Female legislators, on the other hand, said they hoped to create social change and become more involved in their communities. In many instances, men run for office to be something while women run to do something.

Perhaps most significant, female lawmakers better represent women’s interests, pushing laws in areas frequently prioritized by female voters, including health care, civil rights and issues affecting families. One major roadblock in getting such legislation passed, however, could be that there simply aren’t enough women in office to usher it through; a 2018 Political Science Research and Methods study found that women’s proposals “are systematically dismissed and disregarded throughout the legislative process, relative to those of men.” It’s impossible to say for sure whether equal representation would change that–women still make up only about a quarter of Congress and 29% of state legislatures–but it’s reasonable to conclude that without more women in office, the issues women care about most will continue to be brushed aside.

Here’s what we do know: white men account for about a third of the U.S. population but dominate our political system. It’s not because they’re more “authentic” or “electable” or any of the other vague terms thrown around when candidates are discussed, but rather because white men run for office more than anyone else. In the 2018 election cycle, women and people of color were just as likely as white men to win their races once they were on the ballot, according to a report by the Reflective Democracy Campaign. And with Democratic women running in record numbers, it was women–and, importantly, diverse women–who flipped the House from red to blue.

Imagine, in Washington and in state legislatures across the country, women being represented by people who innately understand their experiences because they have lived them. The only way to get there is to vote more women into office–and not only that, but women of color; LGBTQ women; immigrant women; women with young kids; women with no kids; women from different economic, religious and ethnic backgrounds. There are gains even in the trying. Having multiple women in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary has already changed the discourse of the election. In the first two debates, candidates talked about abortion access, the Equal Rights Amendment and the wage gap–with women onstage addressing those issues, the men have been forced to do so as well. The female candidates have also led the way on proposals for paid leave and affordable-child-care policies.

So go ahead, vote for her–and her, and her, and her–right down the ballot. If someone asks why, don’t hesitate to give the short answer: Because she’s a woman. It’s as good a reason as any.

So, what do you think NSG? Should we vote according to gender and elect people to office purely because they happen to be a woman? I mean, this is a bullet-proof argument. Women good and men bad. After all, women push issues that are important like addressing that they're paid less because they work less.

Voting based on gender is stupid and wrong, but of course no issue is complete without NSG's opinion. Thoughts?
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:03 am

Nah, that’s dumb.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Neko-koku
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:04 am

Nova Cyberia wrote:Compelling.
In February, Nevada became the first state in the country with a female-majority legislature. By June, with the help of the state’s Democratic governor, there were stronger laws ensuring equal pay for women, tougher penalties for domestic violence, better protection for sexual-assault survivors, more money for family-planning services, an end to a requirement that forced doctors to ask women their marital status before performing an abortion and an increased minimum wage.If anyone needed proof that having more female lawmakers benefits women, Nevada certainly makes a compelling case.

And yet female voters have often rejected the idea that women should vote with gender in mind. In 2016, Nancy Pelosi told Politico podcasters, “I don’t think that any woman should be asked to vote for someone because she’s a woman.” Of course it would be ridiculous to suggest that someone hop party lines to vote along gender ones, or support a candidate who fails to prioritize what she sees as a key issue. But in primaries where contenders have similar ideologies, there’s a strong argument to be made for backing a woman.

In their book Gendered Vulnerability: How Women Work Harder to Stay in Office, political scientists Jeffrey Lazarus and Amy Steigerwalt found that women in Congress are generally more effective than their male colleagues. They point to the fact that Congresswomen tend to have more staff in their district offices, serve on committees for issues that are of most interest to their constituents and are more likely to co-sponsor legislation that helps their voters. Separate research shows that female lawmakers bring more federal money back to their districts.

Women are more likely to run for elective office for the right reasons too. In her book Women Transforming Congress, political science professor Cindy Simon Rosenthal describes surveying lawmakers about why they got into politics. Most male legislators said it was something they’d always wanted to do. Female legislators, on the other hand, said they hoped to create social change and become more involved in their communities. In many instances, men run for office to be something while women run to do something.

Perhaps most significant, female lawmakers better represent women’s interests, pushing laws in areas frequently prioritized by female voters, including health care, civil rights and issues affecting families. One major roadblock in getting such legislation passed, however, could be that there simply aren’t enough women in office to usher it through; a 2018 Political Science Research and Methods study found that women’s proposals “are systematically dismissed and disregarded throughout the legislative process, relative to those of men.” It’s impossible to say for sure whether equal representation would change that–women still make up only about a quarter of Congress and 29% of state legislatures–but it’s reasonable to conclude that without more women in office, the issues women care about most will continue to be brushed aside.

Here’s what we do know: white men account for about a third of the U.S. population but dominate our political system. It’s not because they’re more “authentic” or “electable” or any of the other vague terms thrown around when candidates are discussed, but rather because white men run for office more than anyone else. In the 2018 election cycle, women and people of color were just as likely as white men to win their races once they were on the ballot, according to a report by the Reflective Democracy Campaign. And with Democratic women running in record numbers, it was women–and, importantly, diverse women–who flipped the House from red to blue.

Imagine, in Washington and in state legislatures across the country, women being represented by people who innately understand their experiences because they have lived them. The only way to get there is to vote more women into office–and not only that, but women of color; LGBTQ women; immigrant women; women with young kids; women with no kids; women from different economic, religious and ethnic backgrounds. There are gains even in the trying. Having multiple women in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary has already changed the discourse of the election. In the first two debates, candidates talked about abortion access, the Equal Rights Amendment and the wage gap–with women onstage addressing those issues, the men have been forced to do so as well. The female candidates have also led the way on proposals for paid leave and affordable-child-care policies.

So go ahead, vote for her–and her, and her, and her–right down the ballot. If someone asks why, don’t hesitate to give the short answer: Because she’s a woman. It’s as good a reason as any.

So, what do you think NSG? Should we vote according to gender and elect people to office purely because they happen to be a woman? I mean, this is a bullet-proof argument. Women good and men bad. After all, women push issues that are important like addressing that they're paid less because they work less.

Voting based on gender is stupid and wrong, but of course no issue is complete without NSG's opinion. Thoughts?

No. We shouldn't vote for men because they are men either.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:05 am

Fuck no. Vote for the person you think is best for the job, not because of what is between their legs. Same applies to things like religion, skin colour etc
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:06 am

Neko-koku wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Compelling.

No. We shouldn't vote for men because they are men either.

In general, we shouldn’t vote based on sex, race, sexuality, or anything like that, because that’s still sexism, racism, etc. That sort of thing works both ways.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.

This user is a male.

Deltia-
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Deltia- » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:06 am

What is this, kindergarten? No. We should vote for candidates based on qualifications.
Federal Kingdom of Deltia | Bundskongsriik Deltie
A PMT right-leaning liberal democracy in OTL Poland that's somewhat Germanic culturally and under a nominal constitutional monarchy with mecha-cops, quasi-workfare, and a very fast-growing economy with blackjack (and hookers!)
Overview | Monarch | Riikskanzler | Parties
(29/03/2022)Der Weld: Far-right terrorist in Kyoto stabs 8 |Now Playing:easy life - nightmares 
Stocks: ADV 35 - +0.2%|CAC- +0.6%|FTSE- +0.4%|DAX- +0.3%
A 13.4 civilization, according to this index.(Tier: 7|Level: 2|Type: 5)
Each good reply, Alisa will gain 1% sanity. Counting: -20
YL/AL thing for me
Vanquish the summerposters!
No NS stats
ADV 35=Deltian stock index

Deltia-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Deltia- » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:07 am

Pacomia wrote:
Neko-koku wrote:No. We shouldn't vote for men because they are men either.

In general, we shouldn’t vote based on sex, race, sexuality, or anything like that, because that’s still sexism, racism, etc. That sort of thing works both ways.

Exactly.
A PMT right-leaning liberal democracy in OTL Poland that's somewhat Germanic culturally and under a nominal constitutional monarchy with mecha-cops, quasi-workfare, and a very fast-growing economy with blackjack (and hookers!)
(29/03/2022)Der Weld: Far-right terrorist in Kyoto stabs 8 |Now Playing:easy life - nightmares 
YL/AL thing for me
No NS stats

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am

Don't vote for someone based on an immutable characteristic
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Djuph
Attaché

Founded: Aug 22, 2019
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Djuph » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am

I've got four words to settle this debate:

Sarah Palin
Hillary Clinton

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am

I can see the point, but I think a better thing to do is to advance a reduction of societal gender norms that make it harder for women and prevent legislation helpful to women. And remember that women can also be misogynist (or misandrist, for that matter), so voting for one is no guarantee that something like abortion rights can be protected.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am

Who voted “yes”?

This user is a male.

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Fuck no. Vote for the person you think is best for the job, not because of what is between their legs. Same applies to things like religion, skin colour etc

Have you not heard the word of the superior gender?
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am

Yeah no, this is nonsense. Vote who you think is best for the job. Who cares about their gender? Also, I will not believe any study saying that having more x is good for the country (where x can be members of a gender, a religious group, etc.).
Exclusively OOC nation | Prominent stat player as Aryax | Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Commentary about WA resolutions is posted on a personal capacity, and does not represent the opinion of 10000 Islands.

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am

Pacomia wrote:
Neko-koku wrote:No. We shouldn't vote for men because they are men either.

Race is a different issue IN ETHNOSTATES alone. Voting based on sex and sexuality is dumb.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

Deltia-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Deltia- » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:09 am

Pacomia wrote:Who voted “yes”?

Perhaps an insane SJW.
YL/AL thing for me
No NS stats

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:10 am

We should vote solely based on policy, specifically by answering the question "Will material conditions improve if this person is elected?"
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:10 am

Nova Cyberia wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Fuck no. Vote for the person you think is best for the job, not because of what is between their legs. Same applies to things like religion, skin colour etc

Have you not heard the word of the superior gender?

The superior gender is agender robots.

Like im a big fan of women, but they got nothing on agender robots.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:11 am

Today in nationstates, "should we be sexist in whom we vote for?"
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:12 am

The last thing we need is a bunch of women in power that're enshrining Third Wave Feminism as law. We need enough men to counter that nonsense.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Deltia-
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Deltia- » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:13 am

I don't care if everyone in (insert legislative body here) are white males, women, people of color, LGBT or whatever. As long as they can do the job and do it well, we should vote for them.
YL/AL thing for me
No NS stats

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:13 am

Saiwania wrote:The last thing we need is a bunch of women in power that're enshrining Third Wave Feminism as law. We need enough men to counter that nonsense.

Lots of men are third wave feminists, lots of women aren’t third wave feminists.

This user is a male.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:14 am

No. If anything we should vote against women because they’re women and should be in the private sphere.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:14 am

Diopolis wrote:No. If anything we should vote against women because they’re women and should be in the private sphere.

Hot take.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Irenton
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Irenton » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:14 am

Just vote for non-binary people, problem solved.

Now I'm off to sort out Brexit, back in 5.
Proud Yeagerist
=|= Overhaul in progress, pardon the dust of the Emperor's labourers =|=

I support the abolition of Poland. #HatFilmsto1Million
Hey, I go by she/they, thanks in advance smileyface

Proud Satellite government of Glorious Eodor and well-known for being the most based NS user

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:15 am

Diopolis wrote:No. If anything we should vote against women because they’re women and should be in the private sphere.

We have to agree to disagree here.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General