NATION

PASSWORD

MCU/Superhero Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Across the Spider-Verse

Haven’t Seen It
37%
0 Stars
2%
1 Star
2%
2 Stars
2%
3 Stars
10%
4 Stars
49%

Total votes : 63

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:19 am

I figured it was supposed to be his 'suit of armour around the world' and that it wasn't supposed to be used except in emergencies.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:28 am

I thought that too, or at least a part of it.

Also, Spider-Man 3 (the new one) apparantly has Scorpion putting a bounty on Spider-Mans' head, leading to Kraven hunting him down. Sadly no Venom or Deadpool yet.

Also, during Thors' coronation Odin slightly pauses before saying 'firstborn', those MCU guys sure knew what they were doing. :)
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:15 am

Rumors of the old variety, essentially that the Ant Man director is re-pitching his 1960s Fantastic Four for a 2022 release in one of the three slots they have reserved.

It's sort of thin.

I contend that at least one of those slots will be a Spider-man movie because it will be the 60th anniversary of that character. 2021 will be the same for Fantastic Four but rushing yet again a FF to the screen might not be the best idea.

The article also links to a reference to a pre-ComiCon interview with Fiege saying that the five year plan was in place before the merger and mutants weren't part of it. Though, it's not like Marvel hasn't been coy before. I still contend that House of M is being set up, but I'm probably wrong more than I'm right. I haven't kept score.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:38 pm

When 2014Nebula brings Thanos to 2023 the quantum time machine shows a list with apparantly previously used destinations: 11-2009, 05-2012 and 01-2988. So who went to the future?
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:52 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:When 2014Nebula brings Thanos to 2023 the quantum time machine shows a list with apparantly previously used destinations: 11-2009, 05-2012 and 01-2988. So who went to the future?

Or the past.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Biggles Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Biggles Syndicate » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:43 am

Lord Dominator wrote:I figured it was supposed to be his 'suit of armour around the world' and that it wasn't supposed to be used except in emergencies.

Damn, that's one big suit of armor.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 am

HC Eredivisie wrote:When 2014Nebula brings Thanos to 2023 the quantum time machine shows a list with apparantly previously used destinations: 11-2009, 05-2012 and 01-2988. So who went to the future?

Loki
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:32 am

Valrifell wrote:

Loki

KANG!
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Alright i misposted in the star wars thread the other day, just noticed, but i finally saw Spider Man Far from Home, i quite liked it, had a good time, but felt Homecoming was better.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:24 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Alright i misposted in the star wars thread the other day, just noticed, but i finally saw Spider Man Far from Home, i quite liked it, had a good time, but felt Homecoming was better.

I liked it too except for the fact about William Ginter Riva and most of the other people who had a "grudge" against stark I mean why I can understand beck with Stark taking credit for his holographic display aka BARF but the others I don't understand.

but I have a couple of theories about the Endgame 2988 Easter egg

1.) Kang the Conquer is from this time in the MCU timeline
2.) Adam Warlock and 2988 are connected
3.) or the Eternals come from 2988 to rectify and clean up the timeline infuriating Galactus who is also from this time causes a new Avengers like story.
4.) a future conflict with a being who lives in the Quantum realm lives in 2988
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:27 pm

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:37 pm

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Thats a shame. I hope they sort it out soon as Tom Holland is pretty good as spoder maneraroo and i would hate to see his character shelved in the mcu permanently.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:30 pm

On the one hand, pretty much every aspect of Holland's Spider-Man's character development has been built around Tony as his mentor figure, which leaves him in an incredibly weird position story-wise if they can't use any MCU stuff in future.

On the other hand, maybe no more of the MCU's morally questionable shit?
Last edited by Platypus Bureaucracy on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:On the one hand, pretty much every aspect of Holland's Spider-Man's character development has been built around Tony as his mentor figure, which leaves him in an incredibly weird position story-wise if they can't use any MCU stuff in future.

but what would spider man be w/o the MCU?
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:18 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:On the one hand, pretty much every aspect of Holland's Spider-Man's character development has been built around Tony as his mentor figure, which leaves him in an incredibly weird position story-wise if they can't use any MCU stuff in future.

but what would spider man be w/o the MCU?

I presume he would be Spider-Man :p

Grater Tovakia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 27, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Grater Tovakia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Don't worry this has already been kicked up to big daddy Disney, I expect that either Sony will give them the rights or legit sell Sony Pictures to Disney (that's how much I hear Sony wants out of the film industry). MCU Spiderman was a cash cow and going to war with Disney does not seem to be a healthy choice for Sony.
Never pet a burning dog

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Grater Tovakia wrote:

Don't worry this has already been kicked up to big daddy Disney, I expect that either Sony will give them the rights or legit sell Sony Pictures to Disney (that's how much I hear Sony wants out of the film industry). MCU Spiderman was a cash cow and going to war with Disney does not seem to be a healthy choice for Sony.

It'd be interesting if it was all a ploy to up the price of Sony Pictures. But after approving the merger between Fox and Disney, approving Sony as well...Jesus Christ. Though I guess the era of trustbusting is long over...

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 pm

So the Iron Man mentor figure thing finally has to stop, huh?

I don’t know guys. I don’t think Spider-Man could work on his own. I mean, has that ever been done in film before?
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:28 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:So the Iron Man mentor figure thing finally has to stop, huh?

I don’t know guys. I don’t think Spider-Man could work on his own. I mean, has that ever been done in film before?

So how should they handle the rewrites to excise all the stuff they can't use any more?

Also Sony is desperately trying to put all the blame on Disney.
Last edited by Vassenor on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:51 pm

Vassenor wrote:
The first Galactic Republic wrote:So the Iron Man mentor figure thing finally has to stop, huh?

So how should they handle the rewrites to excise all the stuff they can't use any more?

All MCU stuff was a Mysterio illusion.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:14 am

Grater Tovakia wrote:

I fail to see how 'going to war with Disney' would do much to either, given that their major industries & sources of profit are rather different.

Negotiator

Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:18 am

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:21 am

I'm also trying to work out where all this "Disney is trying to weaponise fan rage" thing is coming from when all the stuff I've seen has been from Sony going "blame them, not us".
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:39 am

Vassenor wrote:

No, this seems very much Disney's fault... at least as far as it's being reported. Dinsey want to cover some costs, which means they want to share the profits of what is Sony's cash cow. That's obviously untenable for Sony.

If that reporting is accurate then for Sony to be cast as the bad guys they'd need to have been refusing to let Disney use Spidey more outside solo films.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction