NATION

PASSWORD

[R]Trollnaming/Flaming in Hong Kong

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

[R]Trollnaming/Flaming in Hong Kong

Postby Heloin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:31 am

Kaltovar wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
popular means, having "widespread support" the support cannot be said to be widespread if not even half of the people would join the protestors

I'm starting to seriously think you're either trolling, or unable to form new short-term memories.

Kaltovar cheering that Infected Mushroom logged off seems rude though I'm personally unsure if that crosses the line or not.
Kaltovar wrote:Alright. Now that they've logged off and that horrific incident of terror is over ... YAY HONGKONG! Hope you guys get your freedom, and I'm glad to hear Taiwan is taking refugees!

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Trolling protesters in HK thread

Postby New Bremerton » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:33 am

Purgatio wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I've heard that some of the protestors are now going:

"Let's all take all of our savings out of HK's banks, HK's economy will collapse and China will meet our demands."

Can someone explain to me how this Protest/Demonstration strategy is supposed to work in a non democratic system?

The protestors seem to be thinking... "Well if we cause enough trouble for the average HK person, bring enough attention to HK by causing disruption/destruction/mass marches... then at SOME POINT China will give us the democracy."

The last part is where I'm confused.

Where's the leverage exactly?

I mean, isn't this basically "I'm going to destroy/threaten to destroy my home UNLESS I get all my demands met?"

That's a weird way to go about trying to get leverage.

So then let's say HK burns... now WHY exactly would China then go... "okay HK is 100% ruined now, let's give them democracy/let's give them what they want."

Where's the INCENTIVES? Where's the leverage here?

Can they not see that China can still 100% function even if HK goes down? Can they not see that there's no Best Case I Win scenario here?

What's the Best Outcome they are hoping for exactly?

Right now you don't even have 50% of the people protesting, is it even 10% of HK? Let's say that 100% of HKers decided "we're going to destroy/disrupt HK now."

Okay, HK's economy is down and life is now unsustainable here.

But how do you go from there to China saying: "Okay, you get 100% of your demands now"?

The protestors in Hong Kong have proven by now they aren't really interested in getting democracy or any of their demands met. Any real activist that is interested in having certain policies but into place would focus their efforts on lobbying the influential business community or engaging in peaceful protests to draw attention to their plight, not engaging in wanton vandalism and violent attacks on law enforcement and passers-by and making a mockery of your own movement. The violence of the protestors is so utterly self-defeating, the only possible sensible explanation to make sense of it is that these people don't care about getting their insipid demands met. These are antisocial deviants and hooligans who have always been itching to break the law, to cause chaos, violence, strife, pain and injury onto perfectly innocent people, and now they have a trumped-up, semi-plausible pretext to do so, all this 'democracy' nonsense is disingenuous virtue-signalling for goons and thugs to go around hurting people and destroying property and trashing their own city. These animals, these monsters, they''ve always wanted to do this and now they have an excuse and they're gonna use it and milk that excuse until they burn their own city to the ground.

Saw this in IM's reply to Pur. Lying about HK protesters and calling them "antisocial deviants" and "hooligans" is one thing. Calling them animals and monsters, well...

This is why I put Pur on ignore in the first place. Emphasis mine.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:36 am

Just to explain the context, I don't see how its trolling to refer to rioters and violent attackers as 'monsters' and 'animals'. This is the kind of hyperbolic language used in relation to violent criminals all the time. 'This monster attacked her', or 'this animal raped her'. It's nothing more than the expression of a strongly-negative opinion about the infliction of violence, it's an attempt to condemn the infliction of violence in the strongest possible terms. I don't quite see how that's trolling.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:07 pm

Kaltovar wrote:Yes I did notice that, which is why I said India. It's clear by your response you don't take them seriously, but I do and so should anyone with a brain in their skull. India is in the position now that China was in the early 90s, about to explode onto the world stage in a big way. If you can't see that, you can't see.

Also this as well.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Purgatio wrote:Just to explain the context, I don't see how its trolling to refer to rioters and violent attackers as 'monsters' and 'animals'. This is the kind of hyperbolic language used in relation to violent criminals all the time. 'This monster attacked her', or 'this animal raped her'. It's nothing more than the expression of a strongly-negative opinion about the infliction of violence, it's an attempt to condemn the infliction of violence in the strongest possible terms. I don't quite see how that's trolling.

You seem to like reducing people you disapprove of to less than human, though. You were warned for something similar in July. You're warned for this, too. There are ways to express your opinion without tarring an entire group of people with the same brush.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:46 pm

Heloin wrote:
Kaltovar wrote:Yes I did notice that, which is why I said India. It's clear by your response you don't take them seriously, but I do and so should anyone with a brain in their skull. India is in the position now that China was in the early 90s, about to explode onto the world stage in a big way. If you can't see that, you can't see.

Also this as well.

viewtopic.php?p=36115377#p36115377
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Purgatio wrote:Just to explain the context, I don't see how its trolling to refer to rioters and violent attackers as 'monsters' and 'animals'. This is the kind of hyperbolic language used in relation to violent criminals all the time. 'This monster attacked her', or 'this animal raped her'. It's nothing more than the expression of a strongly-negative opinion about the infliction of violence, it's an attempt to condemn the infliction of violence in the strongest possible terms. I don't quite see how that's trolling.

You seem to like reducing people you disapprove of to less than human, though. You were warned for something similar in July. You're warned for this, too. There are ways to express your opinion without tarring an entire group of people with the same brush.

Thanks Farn! *Leaves bag of Lay's Chips (Classic)*
Last edited by New Bremerton on Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:08 am

Belagia wrote:
Tuthina wrote:It will, just probably not the resolution many of us would like. Maybe I'm still too pessimistic, but I still think that the crisis will end when one side has bled too much to continue, which most likely would be the protesters and the general population. For that, the city will bleed.

If the City bleeds... So will the Yangtze, but in Napalm blaze.

#BombTheFuckOutOfChinaGang

Sounds like advocating death to me. Emphasis mine.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am

New Bremerton wrote:
Belagia wrote:
If the City bleeds... So will the Yangtze, but in Napalm blaze.

#BombTheFuckOutOfChinaGang

Sounds like advocating death to me. Emphasis mine.

Yeah ... I'm torn, I'm going to call it borderline and loom ominously.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:08 am

Bienenhalde wrote:
Neko-koku wrote:Hmm..I have a question..Are there wumaos on NSG?

Purgatio sounds like one of them.

Trollnaming. Wumao (lit. 50 cents) is a term used to refer to pro-CCP online trolls who are paid Y0.50 by the Chinese government for every post they make.

Neko-koku
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:12 am

New Bremerton wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:

Trollnaming. Wumao (lit. 50 cents) is a term used to refer to pro-CCP online trolls who are paid Y0.50 by the Chinese government for every post they make.

I didn't say that Purgatio is or is probably a wumao because I'm aware of the rule.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:04 am

New Bremerton wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:

Neko-koku wrote:
New Bremerton wrote:

I didn't say that Purgatio is or is probably a wumao because I'm aware of the rule.

I'm going to call it borderline.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:28 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
New Bremerton wrote:

Neko-koku wrote:I didn't say that Purgatio is or is probably a wumao because I'm aware of the rule.

I'm going to call it borderline.

Thanks Farn. I was citing Bien's post, not Neko's, as trollnaming.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation