NATION

PASSWORD

National History

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Republic of Glasgow
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

National History

Postby The Republic of Glasgow » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Hello to the team at nation states,

I have an idea for improvement which I would love to see implemented into the game.

I would like the option to look back at every issue my nation has decided upon and read them in their entirety.

Right now I'm of the mind to put together an episodic story about my Nation, which revolves around Parliamentary happenings and the results of those decisions, but right now it's impossible to know what was the first issue I ever decided upon and so on and so forth (unless I am mistaken).

Let me know what you think?

Would you do this if you could?

Sincerely, Gen John "Soap" MacTavish.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:28 am

This has been raised before and always denied. Storing the daily issue choices for 6 million nations would be a massive increase in disk storage for the less than 1% of nations who would actually use it. You already have the capacity to read all the issues in their entirety via the Issue Spoiler thread in the Got Issues forum; and the ability to copy your issue choices into a Dispatch or factbook. Every nation who has been here for a while ends up with lots of duplicate issues answered. The redundancy would just be too massive.

The Republic of Glasgow wrote:Would you do this if you could?

Nope.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:32 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:This has been raised before and always denied. Storing the daily issue choices for 6 million nations would be a massive increase in disk storage for the less than 1% of nations who would actually use it. You already have the capacity to read all the issues in their entirety via the Issue Spoiler thread in the Got Issues forum; and the ability to copy your issue choices into a Dispatch or factbook. Every nation who has been here for a while ends up with lots of duplicate issues answered. The redundancy would just be too massive.

I thought an Issues Editor said a while ago that there was already a backend tool saving this information, and the only problem with making it public was dealing with the massive increase in people accessing it. Am I wrong?

Edit: For that matter, don't IEs already use this tool sometimes when answering questions in GI? I know it only saves issue choices for so long, but I'm pretty sure it does exist.
Last edited by Phydios on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

The Republic of Glasgow
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Glasgow » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:19 am

Thanks for the responses.

My original plan of going from the very beginning seems impossible so I have started taking notes of the issues and their numbers.

Come check out the Lazarus Board in a few weeks if you're interested in reading my "NA The Thick of It" project.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:25 am

Phydios wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:This has been raised before and always denied. Storing the daily issue choices for 6 million nations would be a massive increase in disk storage for the less than 1% of nations who would actually use it. You already have the capacity to read all the issues in their entirety via the Issue Spoiler thread in the Got Issues forum; and the ability to copy your issue choices into a Dispatch or factbook. Every nation who has been here for a while ends up with lots of duplicate issues answered. The redundancy would just be too massive.

I thought an Issues Editor said a while ago that there was already a backend tool saving this information, and the only problem with making it public was dealing with the massive increase in people accessing it. Am I wrong?

Edit: For that matter, don't IEs already use this tool sometimes when answering questions in GI? I know it only saves issue choices for so long, but I'm pretty sure it does exist.

It exists, but it is clunky if you want to view anything past a few days ago. You're right. Our current system just isn't scalable.

I'm not sure how far it goes either.

Aibohphobia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 am

You can use one of my scripts to store choices on issues you've encountered before. If your choices frequently change, you could develop a tool that would store them within a database of your own. I have considered developing one in the past but deemed it not worth it. After 7 years of answering issues almost every day (and it wasn't always 1300+ issues), it just doesn't seem to matter anymore.
Last edited by Aibohphobia on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Technical