NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Repeal the Charter of Civil Rights

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Repeal the Charter of Civil Rights

Postby Old Hope » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:37 am

Link to the resolution:https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_past_resolution/id=35/council=1

Lauding the discrimination ban on reductive categorization

Displeased by the inclusion of the concepts of nationality and cultural background as reductive categorizations that should not be discriminated for(with narrow exceptions),

Knowing that people belonging to a culturally relatively homogenous society is good for the stability of a nation,

Dismayed by the conflict potential of parallel societies with a drastically different culture on a nation, and their effects on crime and their frequent ignorance or rejection of national law,

Shocked by the obvious problems even a limited ban on nationality discrimination could cause; such as having to allow people to vote who neither contributed to the wellbeing of the society nor belong to it; while having to disallow people who have to be temporarily abroad from voting, having to conscript tourists into the army if you have a conscription law, and other ludicrous idiocities,

Angered by the difficulties presented by the presence of the Charter of Civil Rights to preserve the integrity of a nation,

the World Assembly repeals the Charter of Civil Rights, General Assembly resolution 35.
Last edited by Old Hope on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:40 am

"Every time your delegation offers a draft, I think to myself that it can't possibly get any worse, and then, damn it, you manage. Legalizing discrimination on the basis of nationality and culture for less than a compelling practical purpose is an open invitation to invidious discrimination. Trash it and consider a permanent vacation from World Assembly duties, ambassador."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:14 am

"I echo the sentiments raised by ambassador Bell, the sheer incompetency is astonishing, ambassador. I believeiits time for Old Hope to send a better and more competent ambassador to the World Assembly, that is, if they choose to remain within the WA."
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:18 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Every time your delegation offers a draft, I think to myself that it can't possibly get any worse, and then, damn it, you manage. Legalizing discrimination on the basis of nationality and culture for less than a compelling practical purpose is an open invitation to invidious discrimination. Trash it and consider a permanent vacation from World Assembly duties, ambassador."

Well, legalizing discrimination on the basis of nationality in all circumstances is wrong - but we consider preserving a relatively homogenous society and preventing parallel societies valid reasons for discrimination yet it does not fall under "compelling practical purposes" under any reasonable interpretation of this law.
Last edited by Old Hope on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:25 am

Old Hope wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Every time your delegation offers a draft, I think to myself that it can't possibly get any worse, and then, damn it, you manage. Legalizing discrimination on the basis of nationality and culture for less than a compelling practical purpose is an open invitation to invidious discrimination. Trash it and consider a permanent vacation from World Assembly duties, ambassador."

Well, legalizing discrimination on the basis of nationality in all circumstances is wrong - but we consider preserving a relatively homogenous society and preventing parallel societies valid reasons for discrimination yet it does not fall under "compelling practical purposes" under any reasonable interpretation of this law.

"Preserving a homogenous society is a nice code word for greenlighting racism, ambassador. It has no place in this Assembly any more than your body of drafts."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:45 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Old Hope wrote:Well, legalizing discrimination on the basis of nationality in all circumstances is wrong - but we consider preserving a relatively homogenous society and preventing parallel societies valid reasons for discrimination yet it does not fall under "compelling practical purposes" under any reasonable interpretation of this law.

"Preserving a homogenous society is a nice code word for greenlighting racism, ambassador. It has no place in this Assembly any more than your body of drafts."

"We intend to write replacement resolutions for this one-size-fits-it-all resolution before submitting this repeal."(OOC: This will be the first resolution that is submitted because it is needed to pass the replacements)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:32 am

Old Hope wrote:

"We intend to write replacement resolutions for this one-size-fits-it-all resolution before submitting this repeal."(OOC: This will be the first resolution that is submitted because it is needed to pass the replacements)

“Firstly, I wish to echo the sentiments of the other ambassadors who have spoken thusfar. CoCR could be a textbook example of a resolution that handles a variety of different nations' needs well. Although ‘compelling practical purpose ’ could be more restricted, the legislation does effectively do stop discrimination.

One of the things GA #035 does well is to prohibit many forms of racism. Therefore, I am left confused as to why you wish to repeal it in order to enact what it is effectively glorified racism. This draft is not worthy of the GA’s attention. ”
Last edited by Kenmoria on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:41 am

Old Hope wrote:

"A replacement that allows for invidious discrimination on the basis of nationality and ethnicity is, at best, tolerating racism, ambassador. And I don't believe you're ignorant of that."

The Unfounded
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2004

Postby The Unfounded » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:24 pm

"Full support!" Alexis yells, rocketing to her feet and flinging the resolution (which has been made into a paper airplane) across the room.

"Just kidding! I just wanted to say something other than 'categorically opposed' for once. Oh dear... I hope the plant-people don't mind that my airplane landed in their pot."
Godulan Puppet 1
The Servants of the True Way of the Will: A multi-galactic anti-technology crusade that plies the stars in vessels shaped with the power of their own minds. To give up your material devices and trinkets is to learn how to access the true power that all can wield.

A 1.09 civilization, according to this Nation Index Thingie
All NS stats are non-canon with this nation.

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Old Hope wrote:"We intend to write replacement resolutions for this one-size-fits-it-all resolution before submitting this repeal."(OOC: This will be the first resolution that is submitted because it is needed to pass the replacements)

"Ambassador, what specifically do you plan to include in your multiple replacement proposals? How would your proposals be different from the already passed resolution?"
Delegate of the 10000 Islands
Ambassador to the WA: Mr. Reede Tappe

TITO Tactical Officer

For a detailed list of positions, and other things of note, click here.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Someone see any argument other than National Sovereignty here?
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:53 pm

Wayneactia wrote:Someone see any argument other than National Sovereignty here?

(OOC: The ‘shocked’ clause has an argument which, although being exceptionally weak, does seem to contain non-Natsov reasons.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Hard no.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Johanneslanden
Secretary

Founded: Oct 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Johanneslanden » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:06 am

I fail to see any good arguments in this.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:49 am

Kenmoria wrote:

(OOC: The ‘shocked’ clause has an argument which, although being exceptionally weak, does seem to contain non-Natsov reasons.)

This would make for an interesting legality challenge should it ever be submitted. I personally see the whole shebang as one giant NatSov argument, and thus would be illegal.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:13 am

Kenmoria wrote:

That clause is an honest mistake, IMO - "drafting tourists into the army" is indeed a "ludicrous idiocy," to use the parlance of our time language of this repeal.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:41 am

I’m really not seeing any compelling arguments for a repeal here.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The Great Boom
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Boom » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:20 am

"Knowing that people belonging to a culturally relatively homogenous society is good for the stability of a nation,"

"*Vomits"

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly