NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Nationwide Internet Causing Concerns

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

[ABANDONED] Nationwide Internet Causing Concerns

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:03 pm

This draft is a follow-up to 353.1, 281.1 and 281.2, where your government pledges to provide nationwide internet. It's kinda based off this, where Huawei got removed from the Australian NBN following security concerns. This is kinda interesting validity-wise because I've tried to make 3 options for each individual option it chains from, so it fits better. It could probably be rewritten to have a basic 3-option structure, but that's for this draft to decide.

Specifically, the title's not great, but all feedback is appreciated. Also I'm not sure about "daguoan" as a demonym for daguo, so can someone confirm/deny this please.

Description
After promising to connect all of @@NAME@@ to the internet, your government started looking for companies to assist with the mammoth task. However, controversy came up when Mai-Wei was revealed to have ties with the famously anti-@@NAME@@ government of Daguo. Your advisers have convened, wondering how to proceed with this dilemma.
Validity
Internet and computers not banned, chains onto 353.1, 281.1, 281.2

Option 1
@@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Security, voices @@HIS@@ concerns. "Mai-Wei has been caught out helping Daguo spy on countries across @@REGION@@, and we were about to become the next. We need to ban Mai-Wei from participating in our internet roll-out, lest they feed our data straight to their government!"
Validity
All
Outcome
Information Technology companies are subject to more scrutineering than the @@NAME@@ Navy

Option 2
Your young nephew disagrees. "How am I supposed to play Guild of Greats or watch WhoTube without the high-speed internet you promised? I'm sure Mai-Wei isn't that bad, really. They should stay on the program so we get our internet as quick as possible!"
Validity
Chosen 353.1
Outcome
the Daguoan government watches the 'Epic Playz' of every @@DEMONYM@@

Option 3
@@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Telecommunications, disagrees. "We need to make this project as cheap as possible for @@NAME@@, and if that means compromising on security, so be it. I'm sure Mai-Wei isn't that bad, really. They should stay on the program so we can get our internet as cheap as possible!"
Validity
Chosen 281.1
Outcome
the Daguoan government watches @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ on their government-sponsored internet

Option 4
High school principal, @@RANDOMNAME@@, disagrees. "Your government promised that you would deliver free internet across @@NAME@@ for education and study, and right now that doesn't look like happening. I'm sure Mai-Wei isn't that bad, really. They should stay on the program so we get our internet as quick as possible!"
Validity
Chosen 281.2
Outcome
the Daguoan government watches the homework of every @@DEMONYM@@ student

Option 5
"A-ha! Two can play at that game!" interjects @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Intelligence. "While Mai-Wei spies for the Daguoans, our Information Technology industry could do the same for us. All we need to do is give them a little more funding and maybe put a couple unscrupulous @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ on the company boards."
Validity
Large IT industry
Outcome
countries across @@REGION@@ are wary of @@NAME@@'s technology exports

Option 6
"Why are we even having this problem? Because our own IT industry is too small to compete!" interjects @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of a major Information Technology company. "Give us more subsidies, and I'm sure we can have the internet up and running on @@DEMONYM@@ technology in no time!"
Validity
Small IT industry
Outcome
@@NAME@@'s internet is provided by previously-unheard-of companies
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:40 pm

This is very similar to 1103 sorry I stole your idea
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:45 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:

This is very similar to 1103 sorry I stole your idea

I mean it's not theft if you came up with it first...
Anyway, bugger. I guess it's time for a new idea?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:28 am

Hey man, this issue could still work. Just make it distinct
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:17 am

It's also not dissimilar to a draft that I have sat in the folder:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=465344

Did you really independently come to the same Mai-Wei pun as me? I'm thinking maybe you saw the draft at some stage, registered it somewhere in your memory, then subconsciously and non-maliciously drafted this issue without realising where the idea in your head had come from.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:48 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:It's also not dissimilar to a draft that I have sat in the folder:

Did you really independently come to the same Mai-Wei pun as me? I'm thinking maybe you saw the draft at some stage, registered it somewhere in your memory, then subconsciously and non-maliciously drafted this issue without realising where the idea in your head had come from.

Damn. Forgot about that. Sorry CWA

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:18 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:It's also not dissimilar to a draft that I have sat in the folder:

Now that you remind me yeah, this is 100% where I got Mei-Wei from. Sorry for all the duplication! :(

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?