NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Come Give @@LEADER@@ A Kiss!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Come Give @@LEADER@@ A Kiss!

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:37 am

This issue was inspired by a similar situation which had occurred in Poland not too long ago: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48257706. I thought it would be an interesting trope to follow for an issue and thus have written up this draft! As this is my first Issue Draft ever, please feel free to leave your feedback on it! I'd love to improve where improvement is necessary :)

Draft 1
[TITLE] Keep Momma Clean!

[DESCRIPTION] With an uneventful weekend having passed by, the national news was thrilled by monday's brawl in @@CAPITAL@@'s city centre. A well-known gay-rights activist, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME_1, had recently recreated one of @@NAME@@'s famous iconography's - a depiction of the Unburnt Dragon-Mother - by inserting the colors of the rainbow into the fiery halo around her head. This has sparked great outrage among the followers of that religion in @@NAME@@, which came to a head when a group of believers spotted @@RANDOMFEMALENAME_1@@ putting up a copy of her recreation on a rather dirty-looking dumpster. While they had started building a stake to burn the heretic at - collectively screeching "BURN THEM ALL!" - outspoken atheists had gathered at the spot to free the gay-rights activist and subsequently, a brawl broke out. While authorities have handled the situation adequately, the main instigators of the ordeal now stand in your office, as the public debate once again veers towards fire and blood.

[OPTION 1]"THIS IS BLASPHEMY OF THE HIGHEST DEGREE!" screeches @@RANDOMMALENAME_1@@, a Targuru of the Unburnt Dragon-Mother, as he violently presses an original copy of the famous iconography in your face. Oddly enough, the silver-haired woman in the depiction strongly reminds you of a certain character in that one show about an iron chair, dragons and ice-zombies. "NO ONE should be allowed to desecrate religious iconography like that, NO ONE, lest they be consumed by flames as our sacred texts command us!" with a mad-glint in his eyes he looks at you. "Allow us to burn this one and all who dare to defile our sacred symbols. Burn them, I say. BURN THEM ALL!"

[EFFECT 1] the smell of burnt flesh has become much more prevalent throughout @@NAME@@.

[OPTION 2] "I did this because those crazies want to exclude LGBTQ+ members from society!" shouts a furious @@RANDOMFEMALENAME_1@@, her rainbow-tattooed face looking intense as she storms towards your portrait, hanging behind your desk. "Besides, aren't we supposed to be a secularized country? Church and state separated? You can't have religious wackos like this Targ-whatever here dictate how we can and can't express ourselves, we're free people!" she exclaims while painting a rainbow around your likeness. "You need to extend our freedom of speech and expression so that we may desecrate any-uhm... I mean, express ourselves however we want!"

[EFFECT 2] even @@ANIMALPLURAL@@ find themselves painted in the colors of the rainbow.

[OPTION 3] Suddenly, a black raven flies through your window and lands on your desk. There is a neatly rolled-up piece of parchment attached to its leg. You break the seal and read the message from Reorge M.M. Gartin, the author of the book series which that one show about an iron chair, dragons and ice-zombies is based upon: "You see how popular my work is in @@NAME@@? Your nation should become the Easteros of my books! Think about it, you become a monarch, lords and ladies with fancy titles all around the country, while the peasantry throw rotten tomato-erhm, I mean, bow deeply before your grace... Wouldn't that be great? Oh, and you'll also make my books 'A Ballad About Snow and Flames' compulsory reading for everyone in @@NAME@@. Just don't tell them the last two books won't come out for the next twenty years, or they'll want our heads!"

[EFFECT 3] foreign dignitaries are greeted by @@LEADER@@ sitting on a throne made of swords.

Draft 2
[TITLE] Keep Momma Clean!

[DESCRIPTION] Recently, religious devotees called Drogonists have regularly hit national headlines for their increasingly vocal protestation of LGBT inclusion in society. In response, gay-rights activists have recreated one of the Drogonists’ famous iconographies of the Unburnt Dragon-Mother - the progenitor of their messiah - by inserting rainbow colors into the fiery halo around her head. This led to a series of clashes between the devotees and the activists, culminating in the near burning of several people at improvised stakes in @@CAPITAL@@’s city centre. With both groups seeking to unleash fire and blood on one another, the main instigators of the ordeal have ended up in your office.

[OPTION 1]“This is blasphemy of the highest degree!” screeches High Targuru @@RANDOMMALENAME_1@@, as he shoves a copy of the original iconography into your face. “Desecration of religious symbols should be punishable by death, a fiery death…” a mad glint appears in his eye. “It is as the holy scriptures demand of us.”

[EFFECT 1] “BURN THEM ALL!” has become an increasingly popular saying among the people.

[OPTION 2] “You’ve got to be kidding me!” exclaims activist @@RANDOMFEMALENAME_1@@, her rainbow-colored hair still sizzling in places. “Have we forgotten about our freedom of speech, of expression? You need to abolish any archaic laws protecting religious mumbo-jumbo that infringe upon our right to artistic expression. Secularize now!”

[EFFECT 2] places of worship have become the new canvas for Picasso-wannabes.

[OPTION 3] @@RANDOMMALENAME_1@@’s aide eyes her spiritual leader nervously as she scribbles down notes. “M-maybe we shouldn’t burn anyone… but surely we can fine them or send them to jail if their sacrilege really crosses the line!”

[EFFECT 3] children using the Dragon-Mother’s name in vain are sent to juvenile detention centres.

[OPTION 4] Suddenly, a black raven lands on your desk, carrying a scroll from Reorge M.M. Gartin, the author of the widely popular A Ballad of Snow and Flames. “You see how beloved my books are in @@NAME@@? Your nation should become the Easteros of my books! As monarch, you can decide what’s right or wrong. Just make sure that my work becomes compulsory reading, but don’t tell anyone the last two books won’t come out in the next two decades or they’ll want both our heads!”

[EFFECT 4] foreign dignitaries are received by @@LEADER@@ sitting on a throne made of swords.

Draft 3
[TITLE] Keep Her Clean!

[DESCRIPTION] Recently, Violetists have again hit national headlines for their ever increasing lack of regard for civil rights. In response, activists have recreated one of the notorious icons of their tentacled goddess, by making her smile instead of ominously glower. This led to a series of clashes between the devotees and the activists, culminating in the near burning of several people at improvised stakes in @@CAPITAL@@’s city centre. With both groups seemingly ready to draw one another’s blood, the main instigators of the ordeal have ended up in your office.

[OPTION 1]"THIS IS BLASPHEMY OF THE HIGHEST DEGREE!" screeches High Cigarette of the Order of Violet @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, a vein violently pulsing on @@HIS_1@@ forehead. "Such desecration of religious symbols should be punishable by death, a fiery death…" a mad glint appears in @@HIS_1@@ eyes. "It is as the holy scriptures demand of us."

[EFFECT 1] the smell of burnt flesh has become increasingly pervasive throughout the air in @@NAME@@.

[OPTION 2] "You’ve got to be kidding me!" exclaims activist @@RANDOMNAME_2@@, @@HIS_2@@ purple-coloured hair still sizzling in places. "Have we forgotten about our freedom of speech, of expression? You need to abolish all archaic laws protecting religious mumbo-jumbo that infringe upon our right to artistic expression. Secularize now!"

[EFFECT 2] places of worship have become the new canvases for Picasso-wannabes.

[OPTION 3] @@RANDOMNAME_1@@’s suspiciously young assistant eyes @@HIS_3@@ spiritual leader fearfully, as @@HE_3@@ slowly takes a step to the side. "M-maybe we shouldn’t burn anyone… but surely we can fine them or send them to jail if their blasphemy really crosses the line!"

[EFFECT 3] children using the Goddess’ name in vain are sent to juvenile detention centres.

[OPTION 4] Suddenly, your devoted secretary and self-proclaimed number one fan turns to you. "Your Perfection, @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ has a point. People should be able to create or recreate whatever artwork they like,” @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ pauses, regarding you admiringly. “So long as it features our nation’s greatest and most sublime muse… YOU!"

[EFFECT 4] Mona Lola’s famous mysterious smile is being altered to resemble @@LEADER@@’s sinister grin.

Draft 4
[TITLE] Keep @@LEADER@@ Clean!

[VALIDITY] Nations with low LGBT rights.

[DESCRIPTION] After having made a public appearance at a picnic organized by "Traditionally Traditional Parents for Traditionally Traditional Families", you were confronted by the news that your likeness had been used by irate activists. LGBT campaigners were trying to draw attention to what they see as oppression of their civil rights in @@NAME@@, by distributing a reproduced state portrait of you, in which your skin tone is replaced by the colours of the rainbow. With the recreated image having spread like wildfire across the nation, the question of inclusion of non-heteronormative individuals in society has taken a hold of the public debate.

[OPTION 1] "Now, now, @@LEADER@@, you know we can’t allow their ideologies to take root here in @@NAME@@," tuts your Minister of Status Quo @@RANDOMNAME_1@@. "Our glorious nation has always been traditional, is currently traditional and will always remain traditional. Did I say that we are a traditional country? That’s right, we are! Traditional, that is," @@HE_1@@ specifies. "Have the authorities round these people up and throw them into jail for their nontraditionalism."

[EFFECT 1] the traditions in @@NAME@@ remain traditionally traditional

[OPTION 2] One of the LGBT campaigners storms into your office, armed with dangerously colourful sharpies and starts drawing rainbows everywhere. "You can't keep us excluded from society forever!" @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ screams into your ear as @@HE_2@@ vigorously colours your forehead. "We demand to be acknowledged, we demand to have some violetdamned rights in this nation!" @@HE_2@@ exclaims while being dragged out by security. "MAKE @@NATION@@ GAY!"

[EFFECT 2] the government is looking at ways to permanently have a rainbow hover over @@CAPITAL@@

[OPTION 3] @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, your Minister of Compromise, blinks in bewilderment as @@HE_3@@ readjusts @@HIS_3@@ now half-gray, half-multicolored jacket. "There's no need to choose one or the other, @@LEADER@@. I agree with the activists that we have been somewhat... repressive... towards them, but we can't just throw our traditions and values overboard. Allow those LGBTABCDE-whatever to exist and have some form of civil partnership, but they have to keep it all out of sight. That way, no one will know or hear a thing. Problem solved!"

[EFFECT 3] the nation conceals, doesn't feel and doesn't let them know

[OPTION 4] Your devoted secretary and self-proclaimed number one fans looks at your recreated state portrait dotingly. "You see, @@LEADER@@? Your image inspires people!" @@HE_4@@ regards you admiringly. "You're our nation’s greatest and most sublime muse! You need to make it so that all artwork in @@NAME@@ can only depict you!"

[EFFECT 4] Mona Lola’s famous mysterious smile is being altered to resemble @@LEADER@@’s enigmatic grin

Draft 5
[TITLE] Keep @@LEADER@@ Clean!

[VALIDITY] Nations with low LGBT rights.

[DESCRIPTION] This morning, you were confronted by the news that your likeness had been used by irate activists. LGBT campaigners are trying to draw attention to what they see as oppression of their civil rights in @@NAME@@, by distributing a reproduced state portrait of you, @@LEADER@@, in which your skin tone is replaced by the colours of the rainbow - a symbol of that community. With the recreated image spreading like wildfire across the nation, the question of inclusion of non-heteronormative individuals in society has taken a hold of the public debate.

[OPTION 1] "Now, now, @@LEADER@@, you know we can’t allow their ideologies to take root here in @@NAME@@," tuts your Minister of Status Quo @@RANDOMNAME_1@@. "Our glorious nation has always been traditional, is currently traditional and will always remain traditional. Did I say that we are a traditional country? That’s right, we are! Traditional, that is," @@HE_1@@ specifies. "Have the authorities round these people up and throw them into jail for their nontraditionalism."

[EFFECT 1] the traditions in @@NAME@@ remain traditionally traditional

[OPTION 2] One of the LGBT campaigners storms into your office, armed with dangerously colourful sharpies and starts drawing rainbows everywhere in final an act of desperation. "You can't keep us excluded from society forever!" @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ screams into your ear as @@HE_2@@ vigorously colours your forehead. "We demand to be acknowledged, we demand to have some violetdamned rights in this nation!" @@HE_2@@ exclaims while being dragged out by security. "BRING SOME HUMANITY TO @@NATION@@!"

[EFFECT 2] the government is looking at ways to permanently have a rainbow hover over @@CAPITAL@@

[OPTION 3] @@RANDOMNAME_3@@, your Minister of Compromise, blinks in bewilderment as @@HE_3@@ readjusts @@HIS_3@@ now half-gray, half-multicolored jacket. "There's no need to choose one or the other, @@LEADER@@. I agree with the activists that we have been somewhat... repressive... towards them, but we can't just throw our traditions and values overboard. Allow those LGBTABCDE-whatever to exist and have some form of civil partnership, but they have to keep it all out of sight. That way, no one will know or hear a thing. Problem solved!"

[EFFECT 3] the nation conceals, doesn't feel and doesn't let them know

[OPTION 4] Your devoted secretary and self-proclaimed number one fans looks at your recreated state portrait dotingly. "You see, @@LEADER@@? Your image inspires people!" @@HE_4@@ regards you admiringly. "You're our nation’s greatest and most sublime muse! You need to make it so that all artwork in @@NAME@@ can only depict you!"

[EFFECT 4] Mona Lola’s famous mysterious smile is being altered to resemble @@LEADER@@’s enigmatic grin

Draft 6
[TITLE] To Taunt A Giant

[VALIDITY] Nation's with low LGBT rights

[DESCRIPTION] Recently, a group of civil rights activists calling themselves "Make @@NAME@@ Gay Again!" have been trying to draw attention to what they see as the oppression of the nation's LGBT community, by recreating photos of you, @@LEADER@@, to make it appear as if you're kissing members of the same sex. This only prompted the occasional loud gasp and odd sneaky look from the people, until a reproduced photo of you kissing the Grand High Poobah of the Order of Violet appeared, prompting irate Violetists to build stakes in @@CAPITAL@@'s City Centre. With the speedy intervention of the authorities, only a few hairs were sizzled, but now the main players of this ordeal have gathered in your office to chime in on how you should proceed.

[OPTION 1] "HERESY! BLASPHEMY! SACRILEGE!" screams the Grand High Poobah, tearing apart their costly priestly robes. "My pure, unblemished lips are now corrupted in the eyes of the Prophet, who will never kiss them tenderly in the afterlife anymore," they lament. "The defilers should be burned for the devilish imagery that they have created!" a glint of righteous fury appears in the Grand High Poobah's eyes. "Let us burn all the heretics and unbelievers in @@NAME@@!"

[EFFECT 1] the smell of burned flesh is becoming increasingly pervasive throughout the air

[OPTION 2] "This isn't about your bloody religion," responds your radically secularist and highly conservative Chief of Staff @@RANDOMNAME@@. "It's about the fact that these criminals have no respect for the nation's figures of authority. @@LEADER@@, they have defiled your image and made you the laughing stock of our country. Such acts must become punishable by law, especially if they are used to promote nontraditional values and ideologies."

[EFFECT 2] children creating rainbows in drawings of their family are sentenced to juvenile detention centers

[OPTION 3] "Let me be straight with you here," begins gay rights activist @@RANDOMNAME_1@@, @@HIS_1@@ purple hair still sizzling in places. "We're just like you, only less boring and more colorful. Stop oppressing us under the guise of 'protecting traditional values' and allow us to become fully functional members of society while remaining true to ourselves. Make @@NAME@@ gay again!"

[EFFECT 3] the government is looking at ways to permanently have a rainbow hover over @@CAPITAL@@

[OPTION 4] "You know, this got me thinking," your Press Secretary and self-proclaimed number one fan says, as they lovingly stroke the recreated photo of you and them. "Your visage inspires people, gives them hope, @@LEADER@@. It's clear that you are our nation's greatest and most sublime muse. You need to make it so that all artwork in @@NAME@@ can only depict your likeness!"

Draft 7
[TITLE] To Taunt A Giant

[DESCRIPTION] A civil rights activist group, the Gay Liberation Front, have been trying to draw attention to - what they call - 'oppression of the LGBT community' in @@NAME@@, by recreating photo's of you, @@LEADER@@, in which you now appear to be kissing various members of the same-sex. With the imagery spreading like wildfire across the nation, the question of inclusion of non-heteronormative individuals in society has taken a hold of the public debate.

[OPTION 1] "These lowlifes have absolutely no regard for this nation's proud figures of authority!" bellows Minister of Culture and National Heritage @@RANDOMNAME@@, angrily tearing apart the recreated photo of you and them. "Not only are they trying to subvert the traditions that have guided @@NAME@@ throughout its history, they have also made us the laughing stock of our nation! Only by clamping down on the expression of nontraditional values and ideologies, can we hope to remove this blight from our great society and remain unchanged."

[EFFECT 1] fathers have stopped hugging their sons out ot fear for being branded 'nontraditional'

[OPTION 2] "Conceal, don't feel, don't let it go... No, I can't hold it back anymore!" your Chief of Staff Elsa @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ suddenly breaks down, starting to sob violently. "@@LEADER@@, I have been hiding it for years, but I am one of them, I am gay. The activists are right, now for once you know what it's like to be mocked, to be laughed at, just for being different. Please, make it stop, please allow us to be who we are in @@NAME@@!"

[EFFECT 2] divorce rates are on the rise as citizens come out of the closet en masse

[OPTION 3] "There, there..." soothes your Minister of Compromise, gently stroking your Chief of Staff on the back. "I agree, @@LEADER@@, we have been acting... repressive... towards this particular group. Yet we can't just throw our traditions overboard for a minority. Why don't we let these LGBT'ers be themselves, but they have to remain underground? That way they can live how they want, but no one needs to hear or see a thing!"

[EFFECT 3] 'rats in the sewers' has taken on an entirely different meaning

[OPTION 4] "You know, all of this got me thinking," your Press Secretary and self-proclaimed number one fan says, lovingly stroking the recreated photo of you and them. "Your visage inspires people, gives them hope. It's clear that you are our nation's greatest and most sublime muse. You need to make it so that all artwork in @@NAME@@ can only depict your likeness!"

Draft 8
[TITLE] To Taunt A Giant

[DESCRIPTION] A civil rights activist group, the Gay Liberation Front, have been trying to draw attention to - what they call - 'oppression of the LGBT community' in @@NAME@@, by recreating photo's of you, @@LEADER@@, in which you now appear to be kissing various members of the same-sex. Seeking to express their outrage at the apparent affront, a group of conservative citizens have gathered in @@CAPITAL@@'s City Centre to try to burn the offending images... and the offending artists.

[OPTION 1] "These lowlifes have absolutely no regard for this nation's proud figures of authority!" bellows torch-carrying Minister of Culture and National Heritage @@RANDOMNAME@@, stomping angrily on a recreated photo of you and them. "Not only are they trying to subvert the traditions that have guided @@NAME@@ throughout its history, they have also made us the laughing stock of our nation! Only by seizing and torching all portrayals of non-traditional values and ideologies, and anything that could possibly be used to represent those ideologies, can we hope to burn out this disease from our society!"

[EFFECT 1] little children cry as their rainbow drawings are seized by the Straight-Thought Police

[OPTION 2]"It's always conceal, don't feel, don't let it go... But I can't hold it back anymore!" Elsa @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, one of the slightly singed activists, suddenly breaks down, starting to sob violently. "@@LEADER@@, we have been hiding it for years, but we're here and we're queer! At least now you know what it's like to be mocked, to be laughed at, just for being different. Please, make it stop, please allow us to be who we are in @@NAME@@!"

[EFFECT 2] divorce rates are on the rise as citizens come out of the closet en masse

[OPTION 3] "There, there..." soothes your Minister of Compromise, gently stroking the distraught artist on her back, but in fact trying put out the smoldering fabric of her coat. "I agree, @@LEADER@@, we have been acting... repressive... towards this particular group. Yet we can't just throw our traditions overboard for a minority. Why don't we let these LGBT'ers be themselves, but they have to remain underground? That way they can live how they want, but no one needs to hear or see a thing!"

[OPTION 4] "You know, those activists did get one thing right," your Press Secretary and self-proclaimed number one fan says, lovingly stroking the recreated photo of you and them. "By spreading your likeness all across @@CAPITAL@@, they lit up its citizens with inspiration and hope. Now, imagine what would happen if our nation's greatest muse could be seen in every painting, sculpture or image throughout the country! This is why you have to make it so that all artwork in @@NAME@@ can only depict your face."

Draft 9
[TITLE]Come Give @@LEADER@@ A Kiss!

[DESCRIPTION] A civil rights activist group, the Gay Liberation Front, have been trying to draw attention to - what they call - 'oppression of the LGBT community' in @@NAME@@, by recreating photo's of you, @@LEADER@@, in which you now appear to be kissing various members of the same-sex. Seeking to express their outrage at the apparent affront, a group of conservative citizens have gathered in @@CAPITAL@@'s City Centre to try to burn the offending images... and the offending artists.

[OPTION 1] "These lowlifes have absolutely no regard for this nation's proud figures of authority!" bellows torch-carrying Minister of Culture and National Heritage @@RANDOMNAME@@, stomping angrily on a recreated photo of you and them. "Not only are they trying to subvert the traditions that have guided @@NAME@@ throughout its history, they have also made us the laughing stock of our nation! Only by seizing and torching all portrayals of non-traditional values and ideologies, and anything that could possibly be used to represent those ideologies, can we hope to burn out this disease from our society!"

[EFFECT 1] little children cry as their rainbow drawings are seized by the Straight-Thought Police

[OPTION 2] "Conceal? Don't feel? Don't let them know?" asks gay rights activist Elsa @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, her ice-white hair slightly singed in some places. "Well, now you know!" she exclaims, tearing off her coat, revealing a sparkly rainbow-colored dress. "Let it go, let it go! Don't hold the gay back anymore!"

[EFFECT 2] divorce rates are up as citizens come out of the closet in droves

[OPTION 3] "Oh, that's way too much color for my poor straight eyes..." says your Minister of Compromise, quickly averting his gaze. "But perhaps they have a point, @@LEADER@@, we have been acting... repressive... towards this particular group. Yet we can't just throw our traditions overboard for a minority. Why don't we let these LGBT'ers be themselves, but they have to remain underground? That way they can live how they want, but no one needs to see or hear a thing!"

[OPTION 4] "You know, those activists did get one thing right," your Press Secretary and self-proclaimed number one fan says, lovingly stroking the recreated photo of you and them. "By spreading your likeness all across @@CAPITAL@@, they lit up its citizens with inspiration and hope. Now, imagine what would happen if our nation's greatest muse could be seen in every painting, sculpture or image throughout the country! This is why you have to make it so that all artwork in @@NAME@@ can only depict your face."

Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:07 am, edited 38 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:10 am

Seriously, what?

There are straight people who like rainbows.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:12 am

I'll be straight with you, the opening desc was so long I got bored reading through it and didn't even get to the first option.

It needs a trim already. Options are way too long.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:14 am

Trotterdam wrote:Seriously, what?

Of course, I understand that. But as I said, the piece was inspired upon an event in Poland where the Catholic Church took offense to inserting the rainbow into the halo of Mary's iconography. Here the Unburnt Dragon-Mother fulfills the role of Mary. The offended believers in turn fulfill the role of the Catholic Church in Poland that labeled it as a desecration.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:15 am

Sanctaria wrote:I'll be straight with you, the opening desc was so long I got bored reading through it and didn't even get to the first option.

It needs a trim already. Options are way too long.

Ah I see! Well, I will get to trimming it down and putting up a second draft in the original post :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:32 am

Sanctaria wrote:I'll be straight with you,
Pun intended?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:58 am

Did the person who paint the dumpster own the dumpster? It may seem like a stupid question, but it's the difference betwewn free expression and vandalism

Yes, and rainbows also the symbol of the hippie movement and of Noahdism. So how do we know that they're refering to homosexuality? Context. For example, I've been to a a town called "Nimbin". The entire town is covered from head to toe in rainbows.

These rainbows represent the hippie movement. I've been there, and despite the fact that I knew at the time that rainbows represent homosexuality, I also knew that every rainbow in Nimbin represents the hippie movement. How do I know this? From the context. It's a tourisn ploy to establish Nimbin as the hippie capital of the world. There are hippies everywhere. Everywhere. There's even a business called the "Rainbow Cafe", and everyone knows that the Rainbows in that context represent hippies, rather than gays or Noahdites, due to the hippie nature of the cafe

Similarly, in my home city of Sydney, for example, someone painted a mural of Jesus in rainbow suspenders. Granted Jesus was a Jew, and Judaism and Noadism are mutually exclusive, (thus automatically ruling out a Noahdist interpretation). We knew full well that the rainbow suspenders represented homosexuality, rather than the hippie movement. How do we know this, because it was at the hight of the gay marriage postal vote. This was highly offensive to both Christians and Muslims. Even gay Christians took offense to it. A few days somebody allegedly painted an image of Mohammed kissing Jesus on the lips, or something like that. Something even more offensive to both Christians and Muslims. (I say allegedly, because I don't remember whether that image was real or a hoax), so we know we know ehat the rainbows mean through context.

Although, this does raise an interesting point- Daarwyrth should work more on establishing context
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Did the person who paint the dumpster own the dumpster? It may seem like a stupid question, but it's the difference betwewn free expression and vandalism

Yes, and rainbows also the symbol of the hippie movement and of Noahdism. So how do we know that they're refering to homosexuality? Context. For example, I've been to a a town called "Nimbin". The entire town is covered from head to toe in rainbows.

These rainbows represent the hippie movement. I've been there, and despite the fact that I knew at the time that rainbows represent homosexuality, I also knew that every rainbow in Nimbin represents the hippie movement. How do I know this? From the context. It's a tourisn ploy to establish Nimbin as the hippie capital of the world. There are hippies everywhere. Everywhere. There's even a business called the "Rainbow Cafe", and everyone knows that the Rainbows in that context represent hippies, rather than gays or Noahdites, due to the hippie nature of the cafe

Similarly, in my home city of Sydney, for example, someone painted a mural of Jesus in rainbow suspenders. Granted Jesus was a Jew, and Judaism and Noadism are mutually exclusive, (thus automatically ruling out a Noahdist interpretation). We knew full well that the rainbow suspenders represented homosexuality, rather than the hippie movement. How do we know this, because it was at the hight of the gay marriage postal vote. This was highly offensive to both Christians and Muslims. Even gay Christians took offense to it. A few days somebody allegedly painted an image of Mohammed kissing Jesus on the lips, or something like that. Something even more offensive to both Christians and Muslims. (I say allegedly, because I don't remember whether that image was real or a hoax), so we know we know ehat the rainbows mean through context.

Although, this does raise an interesting point- Daarwyrth should work more on establishing context

Well, it does state "gay-rights activist", which I thought would be a clear context that the issue at hand is tolerance or intolerance towards the LGBTQ community. But perhaps I could add how the worshipers of the Unburnt Dragon-Mother find non-heterosexuality offensive or it's against their religious beliefs? Would that create more/better context?

I will admit that I am afraid to add more context, as I don't want to make it too long again as Sanctaria stated. It's always a bit of a dilemma when people tell you "more context" but "less text" xD

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:46 pm

If context is the only thing making this an issue, then it isn't really more interesting than "someone spoke out in support of homosexuality, now people who dislike homosexuality are annoyed".

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Trotterdam wrote:If context is the only thing making this an issue, then it isn't really more interesting than "someone spoke out in support of homosexuality, now people who dislike homosexuality are annoyed".

Could you elaborate on what you mean? Or better said, what would you propose I change to make it more interesting?

Perhaps the issue should be presented to states with a high religiousness, where it would make sense that people have more conservative ideas about homosexuality for example?
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Sure, but that doesn’t make it a national issue, it just makes it controversial. In this issue, what exactly is being argued *for* and *against*?

For example, an issue on same sex marriage would have an option arguing *for* and *against* that topic. What’s the debate here?
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Candensia wrote:Sure, but that doesn’t make it a national issue, it just makes it controversial. In this issue, what exactly is being argued *for* and *against*?

For example, an issue on same sex marriage would have an option arguing *for* and *against* that topic. What’s the debate?

Well, my intent was to have the debate be about whether religious iconography can be 'recreated' for activist purposes for example or whether something of the sort should be forbidden under the justification it's sacrilegious/desecration/blasphemy. The first option is of course putting religiousness first, in the sense that the freedom of religion is to be upheld. The second option is promoting freedom of speech, that artists may use religious iconography in their work or recreate it. The third option is of course the "crazy third way".

As I said, this issue was based on a similar situation that had happened in Poland. A LGBT activist had inserted rainbow colours in the halo of Holy Mary, which was considered by the Catholic Church in Poland to be sacrilegious and blasphemous. The authorities even detained the activist for it. This issue was meant to reflect that situation, which you can read about here if you are interested: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48257706
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:37 pm

Alright, sure. The utilization of modified religious symbols/ modified recreation of symbols as a means of protest. You can have an issue on that subject without overcharging the issue, namely by not explicitly entrenching LGBT rights into the debate. (Though I know not if there are any duplications to watch out for.)

For example.

[The Issue] - Civil activists have begun to utilize modified religious symbols in recent @@CAPITAL@@ protests. Most notably, the holy icon of @@FAITH@@ was depicted upside-down, vulgarities marring its figure. Activists say it’s well within their rights to use such symbols, but spiritual leaders assert that it amounts to blasphemy.

[Option] - (For use of modified symbols)

[Option] - (Against use of modified symbols)
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Candensia wrote:Alright, sure. The utilization of modified religious symbols/ modified recreation of symbols as a means of protest. You can have an issue on that subject without overcharging the issue, namely by not explicitly entrenching LGBT rights into the debate. (Though I know not if there are any duplications to watch out for.)

For example.

[The Issue] - Civil activists have begun to utilize modified religious symbols in recent @@CAPITAL@@ protests. Most notably, the holy icon of @@FAITH@@ was depicted upside-down, vulgarities marring its figure. Activists say it’s well within their rights to use such symbols, but spiritual leaders assert that it amounts to blasphemy.

[Option] - (For use of modified symbols)

[Option] - (Against use of modified symbols)

I see, thank you! I will keep this in mind while writing up the new draft :) Although the inclusion of LGBT rights in this issue was my way of trying to create something unique and based on recent developments in the world.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Alright, I have rewritten the original draft and posted it in the original message! I tried to be more concise while at the same time - hopefully - providing more context. For now I have kept the issue about the LGBT community, but this can be changed to simply civil rights activists if that's deemed better. Please let me know what you think of the rewritten draft! :)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:29 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:Recently, religious devotees called Drogonists
Yeah, this works, but for the sake of simplicity, this could just be Violetism. They're known from other issues to be anti-LGBT, so there's slightly less info needed in the description about the religion in question. (up to you though.)

Daarwyrth wrote:@@RANDOMFEMALENAME_1@@, her rainbow-colored hair still sizzling in places.
There's no issue with this being specifically female, but I see no reason why this couldn't be gender-randomised. Although that's something the editors normally cover...

Daarwyrth wrote:[OPTION 3] @@RANDOMMALENAME_1@@’s aide eyes her spiritual leader nervously as she scribbles down notes.
More gender-weirdness: "Random male name" eyes her leader.

Daarwyrth wrote:[OPTION 4] Suddenly, a black raven lands on your desk, carrying a scroll from Reorge M.M. Gartin, the author of the widely popular A Ballad of Snow and Flames. “You see how beloved my books are in @@NAME@@? Your nation should become the Easteros of my books! As monarch, you can decide what’s right or wrong. Just make sure that my work becomes compulsory reading, but don’t tell anyone the last two books won’t come out in the next two decades or they’ll want both our heads!”

[EFFECT 4] foreign dignitaries are received by @@LEADER@@ sitting on a throne made of swords.
Normally even the wacky option has some relevance to the story at hand. This is entirely random and has exactly 0 relevance to the issue of religious iconography vs freedom of expression. Some other options could be "Ban religion altogether", or "Ban art altogether", or if you want to go really wacky, you could mandate that all religious iconography must incorporate an element of contemporary art.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:53 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Recently, religious devotees called Drogonists
Yeah, this works, but for the sake of simplicity, this could just be Violetism. They're known from other issues to be anti-LGBT, so there's slightly less info needed in the description about the religion in question. (up to you though.)

Daarwyrth wrote:@@RANDOMFEMALENAME_1@@, her rainbow-colored hair still sizzling in places.
There's no issue with this being specifically female, but I see no reason why this couldn't be gender-randomised. Although that's something the editors normally cover...

Daarwyrth wrote:[OPTION 3] @@RANDOMMALENAME_1@@’s aide eyes her spiritual leader nervously as she scribbles down notes.
More gender-weirdness: "Random male name" eyes her leader.

Daarwyrth wrote:[OPTION 4] Suddenly, a black raven lands on your desk, carrying a scroll from Reorge M.M. Gartin, the author of the widely popular A Ballad of Snow and Flames. “You see how beloved my books are in @@NAME@@? Your nation should become the Easteros of my books! As monarch, you can decide what’s right or wrong. Just make sure that my work becomes compulsory reading, but don’t tell anyone the last two books won’t come out in the next two decades or they’ll want both our heads!”

Normally even the wacky option has some relevance to the story at hand. This is entirely random and has exactly 0 relevance to the issue of religious iconography vs freedom of expression. Some other options could be "Ban religion altogether", or "Ban art altogether", or if you want to go really wacky, you could mandate that all religious iconography must incorporate an element of contemporary art.

I see, thank you for the feedback! I will incorporate your pointers into a third draft :)

My idea for the fourth option was tied into the fact that the Drogonists and the Dragon-Mother etc etc are all GoT references, so the fourth option was meant to tie into that. But I see what you mean and I recognize I aimed too far beyond the goal. I'll get to repairing it!

As to the gender specific parts, my initial thought was that it would be okay, but perhaps leaving it completely random might be even better. I'll make a more randomized version in the new draft!
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:59 am

Daarwyrth wrote:My idea for the fourth option was tied into the fact that the Drogonists and the Dragon-Mother etc etc are all GoT references, so the fourth option was meant to tie into that.

Ah. I've never seen a single episode of GoT myself, so the reference flew straight past me.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:57 am

I think that the issue should focus more on religious blasphemy, rather than gay rights
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:57 am

After having taken into account all the feedback, I have posted draft 3 of the proposed issue! I've changed the LGBT element into civil rights activists and also shifted the focus onto the already established Violetists. I've also changed the last crazy option into something much more in line with the subject of the issue. The names have been changed to be completely random instead of gender-specific. Lastly, the title has been altered as well, instead of "Momma" it now says "Her" :)

I would be more than happy to hear your new feedback on draft 3! As with the other two, it's in the OP :D
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:09 am

Candensia wrote:Alright, sure. The utilization of modified religious symbols/ modified recreation of symbols as a means of protest. You can have an issue on that subject without overcharging the issue, namely by not explicitly entrenching LGBT rights into the debate. (Though I know not if there are any duplications to watch out for.)

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:19 am

Trotterdam wrote:

Which is why initially I had wanted to create a niche, by involving the LGBT community. But feedback was that it should be less specific, so that's why Draft 3 in turn features civil rights activists.

But would this be considered duplication or simply two issues with different executions about a similar subject?
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:38 pm

With a lack of response, I assume people had no faults with Draft 3, so I decided to submit it! :D

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:30 pm

FYI, the usual drafting time here is more like 2-3 weeks, not 2-3 days. Exceptions exist, of course, but many of the folks who read, publish, and help out around here are only able to check in on weekends, or at more widely-spaced intervals. A good reply can require significant time for consideration, much less actually writing it out - I know I'll often read something while on the go during the week, and sit down to write some feedback days later.

That said, I wish you luck with your submission!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Good Luck!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?