NATION

PASSWORD

Trouble in Jammu & Kashmir

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Hindustani State
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hindustani State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:20 am

Kowani wrote:Can’t we just…split Kashmir?

:rofl:

Please, westerners, research a little on the situation before making posts akin to saying “Can’t we just ban bad people from buying guns and give them to good people?”
The Hindustani State। हिन्दूस्तानी राष्ट्र
Theocratic South Asia ruled on Hindu principles, and having expelled all invader religions
NOT A NAZI! THE SWASTIK IS AN ANCIENT HINDU SYMBOL

2021: A New Decade - Republic of India

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:22 am

Sure. India gets the entire northern half of Pakistan and Afghanistan gets the rest.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Hindustani State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hindustani State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:22 am

Hindu Mahasabha wrote:
Pacomia wrote:Who said that?

Now the Kashmiri pandits can return back to their home after 30 years.

Amen
Theocratic South Asia ruled on Hindu principles, and having expelled all invader religions

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:24 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:From what I’ve heard, the entire territory of Kashmir is disputed. Though there are some internationally recognised borders.

Same. De facto though, it's divided between India, Pakistan, and China.

I do wonder....the problem in Jammu and Kashmir has something to do with the Partition, right?

Pretty much. Originally the leader of Kashmir wanted to join India but the people didn’t so Pakistan invaded and the government of Kashmir called for India to help
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:27 am

The Hindustani State wrote:

:rofl:

Please, westerners, research a little on the situation before making posts akin to saying “Can’t we just ban bad people from buying guns and give them to good people?”

True splitting Kashmir isn't an option that the people there want. India should leave Kashmir since the people living there don't want them.

The Hindustani State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hindustani State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 am

Heloin wrote:
The Hindustani State wrote: :rofl:

True splitting Kashmir isn't an option that the people there want. India should leave Kashmir since the people living there don't want them.

They ousted Kasmiri Pandits decades ago, now its time for them to return

The Hindustani State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hindustani State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:30 am

Heloin wrote:
The Hindustani State wrote: :rofl:

Also… Kasmiris in J&K prefer India to Pakistan

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:31 am

The world is about to end in fire, and it’s the fault of fundies.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Otira
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Otira » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:32 am

Duhon wrote:GOOD LORD IN HEAVEN WHAT EVEN THE FUCK IS HAPPENING --

Prominent politicians in Indian-administered Kashmir have been placed under house arrest, while communications to Kashmir valley have been cut off following a security crackdown and fears of unrest.

Phone and internet services are reportedly down in Kashmir valley, where public gatherings have been banned and schools closed.

Last week thousands of tourists and pilgrims were ordered to leave the area, after the Indian government warned of a terror threat posed to pilgrim routes.

A major security build up, including the deployment of 10,000 extra troops, has prompted fears that Delhi is preparing to scrap Kashmir’s special status, which prevents people from outside of the state from buying land in the territory. Many Kashmiris fear that abolishing the state’s special status would fundamentally change the demography of the Muslim-majority territory.

The ruling Bharatiya Janata party (BJP) has repeatedly pledged to scrap such rules, though analysts warn that doing so would create instability and heighten tension with Pakistan.

In the early hours of Monday, several political leaders said they had been placed under house arrest, including Jammu and Kashmir’s former chief minister Mehbooba Mufti and Sajjad Lone, chairman of People’s Conference.

On Sunday evening, Omar Abdullah, the scion of a prominent political family in Kashmir, and former chief minister in the state, said he believed he would be placed under house arrest. Other “mainstream leaders” – meaning Kashmiri politicians who have formed alliances with parties such as the BJP – would be detained, he added.

Political leaders in Kashmir met on Sunday, where they vowed to protect Kashmir’s special status, and warned against an escalation of tensions between Pakistan and India.

Kashmir is claimed by India and Pakistan in full and ruled in part by both. An insurgency on the Indian-administered side has been ongoing for three decades, and tens of thousands of people have been killed.

India’s prime minister, Narendra Modi, will chair a cabinet meetingon Monday morning, when an announcement is expected.

Before internet services were cut, Mufti said on Twitter: “How ironic that elected representatives like us who fought for peace are under house arrest. The world watches as people & their voices are being muzzled in J&K. The same Kashmir that chose a secular democratic India is facing oppression of unimaginable magnitude. Wake up India.”

Abdullah called for people to stay safe and remain calm. “To the people of Kashmir, we don’t know what is in store for us but I am a firm believer that what ever Almighty Allah has planned it is always for the better, we may not see it now but we must never doubt his ways,” he said on Twitter.

Over the weekend, people in Indian-administered Kashmir queued for hours outside petrol stations and cash machines, as curfews and evacuations continued to be imposed on hospitals and educational institutions.

Here's the gist: during the last few days, tens of thousands of Indian troops have been deployed to Jammu and Kashmir, following an order for foreigners to leave that part of the country as well as moves to cut off all communications between Kashmir and the outside world. Leading Kashmiri politicians (a number of whom are allied to the ruling BJP) have also been placed under house arrest, all for the coup de grace: the Modi administration, fresh off a second election victory against the INC in 5 years and riding high upon patriotic feeling for which its recent skirmish with Pakistan was both symptom and outlet, has announced to its parliament its intention of repealing Article 370 of the Indian constitution, giving significant autonomy and full exemption from the rest of the Indian constitution to Jammu & Kashmir, to be replaced by a bill which would split the present region into two parts: Jammu & Kashmir, which would be a union territory with its own legislature, and Ladakh, also a territory but lacking a legislature of its own.

Goodness knows what will happen next, though the sinking pit in my gut tells me a great bloodbath will soon commence, out of sight, out of mind. Why else would the Indian army be deployed in such numbers, tensions with Pakistan or no?

On a related note, too: do all of you guys have a fucking death wish?

Can you link your news source?

The Hindustani State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hindustani State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:35 am

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Why does anyone care about Kashmir? It’s literally just a bunch of mountains, it can’t be worth dying over except for irrational need to have territory.

It’s home to many Kashmiri Pandit temples, including the Kheer Bhawani, which is one of the holiest places in Hinduism. Muslims own Mecca, Jews own the West Wall, is it too much to ask for Hindus to own the Kheer Bhawani Temple?
Last edited by The Hindustani State on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:35 am

Heloin wrote:True splitting Kashmir isn't an option that the people there want. India should leave Kashmir since the people living there don't want them.

Also… Kasmiris in J&K prefer India to Pakistan

You can tell because there's no insurgency in Kashmir. No popular unrest. No protests. Isn't it clear that they love India...

The Hindustani State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hindustani State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:37 am

Heloin wrote:
The Hindustani State wrote:Also… Kasmiris in J&K prefer India to Pakistan

You can tell because there's no insurgency in Kashmir. No popular unrest. No protests. Isn't it clear that they love India...

There’s protests to end the violence, sure, in POK too. Did you forget that Pakistan encouraged the exodus of Kasmiri Pandits?

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:38 am

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Why does anyone care about Kashmir? It’s literally just a bunch of mountains, it can’t be worth dying over except for irrational need to have territory.

It’s home to many Kashmiri Panidt temples, including the Kheer Bhawani, which is one of the holiest places in Hinduism. Muslims own Mecca, Jews own the West Wall, is it too much to ask for Hindus to own the Kheer Bhawani Temple?

If it leads to thermonuclear war, it is too much to ask. Atheists, Christians, Muslims, and the rest of the world don’t deserve to die because sky fairies they don’t believe in supposedly did something in an area at war. Furthermore, India is a secular government (or supposed to be), so this is irrelevant.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:41 am

I would suggest a referendum but I doubt either India, China, or Pakistan would honor it if it did not go their way. So instead I am just going to hope no one decides this is worth starting a war over.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Hindustani State
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hindustani State » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 am

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
The Hindustani State wrote:It’s home to many Kashmiri Panidt temples, including the Kheer Bhawani, which is one of the holiest places in Hinduism. Muslims own Mecca, Jews own the West Wall, is it too much to ask for Hindus to own the Kheer Bhawani Temple?

If it leads to thermonuclear war, it is too much to ask. Atheists, Christians, Muslims, and the rest of the world don’t deserve to die because sky fairies they don’t believe in supposedly did something in an area at war. Furthermore, India is a secular government (or supposed to be), so this is irrelevant.

Pakistan and China bar Indians from making pilgrimages, so it’s hurting Hindus, the majority of whom are Indian citizens, from going to one of the holiest sites

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 am

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:If it leads to thermonuclear war, it is too much to ask. Atheists, Christians, Muslims, and the rest of the world don’t deserve to die because sky fairies they don’t believe in supposedly did something in an area at war. Furthermore, India is a secular government (or supposed to be), so this is irrelevant.

Pakistan and China bar Indians from making pilgrimages, so it’s hurting Hindus, the majority of whom are Indian citizens, from going to one of the holiest sites

That’s unfortunate. That does not justify war or elevating nuclear tensions.
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 am

Heloin wrote:You can tell because there's no insurgency in Kashmir. No popular unrest. No protests. Isn't it clear that they love India...

There’s protests to end the violence, sure, in POK too. Did you forget that Pakistan encouraged the exodus of Kasmiri Pandits?

You know the even if every Kasmiri Pandit returned to Kashmir that the Muslims in Kashmir, who want to be part of Pakistan, would still make up a super majority.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:46 am

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:The world is about to end in fire, and it’s the fault of fundies.

Even if Pakistan, India (and even China) go full nuclear on each other, the world will not end.
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Otira
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Otira » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 am

What if we partition Pakistan and India into multiple Kashmir-like states? Would that fix the problem?

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 am

Novus America wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:The world is about to end in fire, and it’s the fault of fundies.

Even if Pakistan and Pakistan go full nuclear on each other, the world will not end.

The world wouldn't end if one country blew itself up no :p

If Pakistan and India went full nuclear the world also wouldn't end but it wouldn't help anything either.

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:52 am

Novus America wrote:

Even if Pakistan, India (and even China) go full nuclear on each other, the world will not end.

The number of nukes that it would take to end humanity is estimated at 100 by many researchers. Combined, they have more than that.
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:55 am

Novus America wrote:

India would likely be able to absorb the nuclear exchange better than Pakistan would, because of the larger territory. Pakistan would probably collapse as a state. It goes without saying that the entire thing would be horrific, but just in terms of estimating the existential consequences for each state I'd say Pakistan would be a lot worse off.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:57 am

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
Novus America wrote:

The number of nukes that it would take to end humanity is estimated at 100 by many researchers. Combined, they have more than that.

Based on the discredited nuclear winter theory.
Anyways more 100 already have been detonated.

The burning of oil wells in Kuwait proved that even if firestorms happened (nuclear weapons actually do not cause them in more modern cities) that the effects of mass fires are short lived and localized.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/1997/0210/5903123a.html
Last edited by Novus America on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Neo Kerala
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 24, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Neo Kerala » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:01 am

Pacomia wrote:

Might be strategic, who knows?

Or maybe it’s just a desire to look bigger on a map. It’s probably that.

Perfect place to nuke each other’s capitalism and guard during an invasion
she/her
NS stats are not accurate.

The Republic of the Popular Councils of Neo Kerala is a Marxist-Leninist-Maoist state. Founded in 1948 after our NatDem Revolution, we took the side of the PRC and Marxism-Leninism (Mao Zedong Thought) during the Sino-Soviet split. After the Hua-Deng coup, we joined the RIM, and followed the shining path of Marxism-Leninism-Maoism. We struggled against old and modern revisionism and uphold the Marxism-Leninism-Maoism, mainly Maoism, also held by our Comrades in Peru, Turkey and Brazil, and support the PPWs in India and the Philippines. Long Live People's War! People's War until Communism!

(All ideologies used by this nation is held by this nation alone and does not necessarily represent actual beliefs held or not held by me.)

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:02 am

Novus America wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:The number of nukes that it would take to end humanity is estimated at 100 by many researchers. Combined, they have more than that.

Based on the discredited nuclear winter theory.
Anyways more 100 already have been detonated.

The burning of oil wells in Kuwait proved that even if firestorms happened (nuclear weapons actually do not cause them in more modern cities) that the effects of mass fires are short lived and localized.

From what I can tell the 100 figures comes from what a "pragmatic quantity of nuclear weapons for any nation to have" would be.
Here, I think.
"With 100 nuclear weapons, you still get nuclear deterrence, but avoid the probable blowback from nuclear autumn that kills your own people,"

Edit: And I think the point is that 100 simultaneous targeted strikes would be enough. Not 100 spaced out tests in remote areas.
Last edited by Alvecia on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General