NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Data Protection Accord

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Data Protection Accord

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:24 am

As the saying goes, third time is a charm!

Data Protection Accord

Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Customer Protection | Proposed by:Germany

The World Assembly,

Lauding the efforts of this assembly to protect privacy rights through previous legislation such as GA #213 Privacy Protection Act,

Recognising every individual's right to reasonable privacy,

Believing that collecting essential data without consent is a violation of the right to privacy,

Noting that most minors are not fully capable of comprehending the risks associated with decisions made on matters of privacy,

Hereby,

1. Defines the following for the purpose of this resolution:
    1. An "organisation" as an entity that collects data from its users, and and is not run by the government of the nation which the individual whose data the entity collects is from;
    2. A "minor" as a person under the age of majority not going through a transitional period into adulthood, as determined by the home member-state of the minor;
    3. A "guardian" as an individual legally responsible for the protection and care of a minor;
    4. "personal data" as data that can be used to identify an individual;
    5. A "user" an individual who is not a minor; who uses or has used the services of, or is a member or has been a member of, an organisation;
  2. Prohibits:
    1. Organisations from collecting or storing the personal data of any minor without the explicit consent of their guardian except when the guardian cannot be contacted and it is not in the best interests of the minor to do so, such as cases of child abuse, or unless the business is unable to verify the age of the user;
    2. Organisations from collecting or storing personal data of any non-minor individual without their explicit consent except for crime prevention, such as CCTV cameras, unless the individual cannot consent and the personal data is required for an emergency, or unless the data is used exclusively for journalistic purposes;
    3. Organisations from using personal data collected from any individual to intentionally and maliciously cause harm or severe distress to the individual the data belongs to;
    4. Governments of member states from viewing the personal data of a minor, or user without explicit prior consent from both the organisation in possession of the personal data and the guardian of the minor, or user to which the data belongs, unless the user has consented to their personal data being shared with authorities as necessary, as a condition to use the services of the organisation and the personal data collected was for crime prevention, or a judicial order has been issued;
  3. Mandates that organisatons:
    1. Provide fully detailed information on how they will use or share a user or minor's personal data to the user or their guardian
      explicitly when they interact with the organisation for this first time and when a major change to the data collection or usage policy has been made, except when the organisation has no means of communicating with the user or guardian;
    2. Enable individuals to view the personal data that the organisation holds on them unless the release of the personal data would compromise the privacy or well-being of others;
    3. Remove personal data from their database if the personal data is no longer relevant to the services used by the user or minor, or if the user or minor ceases to use the services of or ceases to be a member of the organisation, unless the user, or the minor's guardian, consents to that explicitly and clearly, or unless there is a clear and compelling safety or disciplinary reason to do otherwise such as loans, transactions, or disciplinary records;
    4. Allow users or guardians to request the removal of their personal data, or their minors' personal data, and act upon these requests, unless it falls under an exception mentioned in clause 3c above;
    5. Remove personal data of a user or minor if the organisation is aware of the user or minor's death, subject to exceptions in clause 3c;
    6. Allow users or guardians to request that data stored on them or their minor by the organisation be edited, and act upon these requests, if the data stored is incorrect;
    7. Take reasonable measures to ensure the personal data being stored by the organisation is not accessed by unauthorised persons, such as persons not working in the organisation or persons inside the organisation but are unauthorised to access the data;
    8. Take reasonable measures to ensure the transfer of personal data to another organisation under a user's, or guardian's request is performed in a reasonable time frame, subject to national legislation;
  4. Declares that an organisation can prohibit an individual from using the services of or joining the organisation if the individual or their guardian does not consent to the personal data collection policy of the organisation, or if the individual provides falsified personal data.

Co-authored by Kenmoria
Last edited by Ransium on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:09 am, edited 69 times in total.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:27 am

Version 3.0.0:
-Removed clause 5
-Changed clause 4 [added "falsified data" declaration]
-Changed clause 2a [added "storing" after "collecting"]
-Changed clause 2b [added example of crime prevention and exception for emergencies]
-Changed clause 3a [added "data usage policy" after "data collection"]
-Added clause 1g
-Added clause 2div
-Added clause 3e
-Removed alliteration in preamble and active clauses.

Version 3.0.1:
-Changed clause 2b [replaced "and" after "CCTV cameras with "or"]

Versions 3.0.2:
-Changed clause 2div [added "reasonable" and gave examples of national security threats]

Version 3.0.3:
-Changed clause 2div [replaced "reasonable" with "severe"]
-Changed clause 3a [replaced "data collection and usage" with "data collection or usage"]

Version 3.0.4:
-Changed clause 3b [added exception for journalism]

Version 3.0.5:
-Changed clause 1a [removed 'directly before 'government']
-Changed clause 3e [added "by the organisation" after "stored"]

Version 3.1.0:
-Title Changed from "Protecting Data from Compromise" to "Convention on Data Protection"

Version 3.1.1:
-Added comma in preambulatory clause "Noting" [comma after "mature"]

Version 3.2.0:
-Removed "concerned clause"
-Added "Lauding" clause
- Added "Seeking" clause

Version 3.3.0:
-Changed punctuation at the end of preambulatory clauses from semi-colons to commas
-Removed the definition of an adolescent
-Removed sub-clauses of 2d
-Changed definitions [replaced all "any"s with" an/a"s]
-Changed first preambulatory clause [added the name of GA#213]
-Changed second preambulatory clause [added "reasonable" before "privacy"
-Changed third preambulatory clause [completely revamped]
-Changed clause 1d [fixed capitalisation with "personal data"]
-Changed clause 1e [added adolescent]
-Changed clause 2a [removed "non adolescent" before the first "minor"]
-Changed clause 2d [simplified]
-Changed clause 3a [added "share" after "use"]
-Changed clause 3b
-Changed clause 3c [moved examples from 3d to 3c]
-Changed clause 3d [see above]
-Changed clause 3e [simplified]

Version 3.3.1:
-Removed comma after "user" in clause 3d

Version 3.4.0:
-Changed preambulatory clause "believing" [added 'a' after 'violation']
-Changed preambulatory clause "noting" [changed 'the risks of the decisions made' with 'the risks associated with decisions made']
-Changed clause 1f [replaced 'or' with 'and' before 'and']
-Changed clause 2b [commas]
-Changed clause 2d [removed 'the' before 'explicit consent' and changed 'organization' with 'organisation']
-Changed clause 3a [changed 'or' with 'and']
-Changed clause 3e [changed 'unauthorized' with 'unauthorised']
-Changed clause 4 [changed commas, changed 'user' with 'individual']

Version 3.5.0:
-Removed clause 1f [definition of 'non-user']
-Fixed consistency with 'personal data'
-Merged all mentions of 'user and non-user' into 'individual'
-Changed clause 2d [added crime prevention exception]
-Changed clause 2a [exception for unidentifiable minors]
-Changed 3a [added "fully detailed" before "information"]

Version 3.5.1:
-Changed clause 1a [removed "systematically" from definition]
-Changed clause 1b [excluded adolescents from definition]
-Changed clause 2d [added exception for warrants]

Version 3.6.0:
-Added clause 2e
-Added clause 2f
-Fixed spelling error in clause 3e

Version 3.6.1:
-Changed clause 1d [replaced 'minor' with 'child']

Version 3.6.2:
-Changed clause 1e [added "as determined by national governments"]
-Changed clause 2a [replaced "or" with "and", after "cannot be contacted"]

Version 3.6.3:
-Added clause 3d
-Moved previously clause 3d to 3f

Version 3.7.0:
-Changed clause 1a [added "primarily owned"]
-Changed clause 1c
-Changed clause 1d [removed "sapient" before 'individual']
-Changed clause 2d [replaced "or" with "and" between warrant and crime prevention exceptions]
-Changed clause 3e [grammar]

Version 3.7.1:
-Overhauled clause 3c

Version 3.8.0:
-Added clause 2d
-Added clause 3g
-Moved previously 2d to 2g
-Changed clause 2g [moved "data collected for crime.." to a requirement for "unless the user agrees.."] and [replaced "warrant" with "judicial order"]

Version 3.9.0:
-Added clause 3e
-Moved previously 3e-g down one letter

Version 3.9.1:
-Minor changes to reduce character count [section 3]

Version 3.9.2:
-Changed clause 1a [removed 'members']
-Removed clause 2f

Version 3.9.3:
-Changed clause 1e
-Submitted

Version 3.10.0:
-Removed "seeking" preambulatory clause due to character limit
-Changed clause 1a [replaced the last part]
-Changed clause 1b [added "as determined by the home member-state]
-Changed clause 1e [replaced "national governments" with "the home member-state"]
-Changed clause 2a [removed "as determined by national governments" and replaced with example]
-Changed clause 2e [added exclusion for internal transfers]
-Changed clause 3c [replaced "that" with "which" at the start]
-Changed clause 3e [replaced "informed" with "aware"]
-Changed clause 3f [users must request the change now, not directly do it]
-Changed clause 3g [added examples of unauthorised persons]
-Changed clause 3h [added "to another organisation"]

Version 3.11.0:
-Removed clause 2d
-Removed clause 2e
-Changed "lauding" clause
-Changed clause 1a
-Changed clause 1e
-Added references to minors in clauses 2d, all of section 3, and section 4.
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:23 am

“Clause 2b should have ‘or’ instead of ‘and’, since data can be taken either for emergencies or for crime prevention, not necessarily both.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:29 am

Kenmoria wrote:“Clause 2b should have ‘or’ instead of ‘and’, since data can be taken either for emergencies or for crime prevention, not necessarily both.”

"Fixed."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:06 pm

OOC: Could you include in your changelog a version of the current draft with all the changes to the defeated one marked with text effects in some way? Would be easier to see the changes than having to compare the two side by side. Especially as you don't specify exactly what was changed, content-wise.
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Fecaw
Envoy

Founded: Feb 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fecaw » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:24 pm

I reccomend reading through the GDPR to give you some more ideas.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:29 pm

Fecaw wrote:I reccomend reading through the GDPR to give you some more ideas.

OOC: Gross domestic product of region? :P
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Fecaw
Envoy

Founded: Feb 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fecaw » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:33 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Fecaw wrote:I reccomend reading through the GDPR to give you some more ideas.

OOC: Gross domestic product of region? :P

General Data Protection Regulation :roll:

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 pm

“Any time you have ‘users and non-users’, you could just put ‘people’.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Could you include in your changelog a version of the current draft with all the changes to the defeated one marked with text effects in some way? Would be easier to see the changes than having to compare the two side by side. Especially as you don't specify exactly what was changed, content-wise.

OOC:Just going to specify changes.

Kenmoria wrote:“Any time you have ‘users and non-users’, you could just put ‘people’.”

"That could cause ambiguities as to who 'people' are."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:07 am

“2div needs some clarifying, to avoid a totalitarian government claiming free thought or foreign books to be national security risks.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 am

Kenmoria wrote:“2div needs some clarifying, to avoid a totalitarian government claiming free thought or foreign books to be national security risks.”

"Sshh, stop ruining the game for my government."

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:37 am

Kenmoria wrote:“2div needs some clarifying, to avoid a totalitarian government claiming free thought or foreign books to be national security risks.”

"The changes should hopefully have addressed this problem."

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:03 am

Marxist Germany wrote:

"The changes should hopefully have addressed this problem."

“A ‘reasonable threat’ means a threat that is neither severe nor insignificant: a moderate-level danger. I would go the other way and say a ‘severe threat’ instead. In addition, clause 3a should have ‘data collection or usage policy’, rather than ‘data collection and usage policy’, so that a business needs only to change one of them to be forced to notify users.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:"The changes should hopefully have addressed this problem."

“A ‘reasonable threat’ means a threat that is neither severe nor insignificant: a moderate-level danger. I would go the other way and say a ‘severe threat’ instead. In addition, clause 3a should have ‘data collection or usage policy’, rather than ‘data collection and usage policy’, so that a business needs only to change one of them to be forced to notify users.”

"Hopefully fixed."

Dreadton
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dreadton » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:00 am

The nation of Dreadton would not be able to support this proposal and we would encourage our delegate to vote against this bill for the following.

The Nation of Dreadton holds that freedom of the press is a vital part of a democratic society and while a person is in a public space, there is no expectation of privacy. Under this bill, if a camera crew was on the scene, they would not be able to film for news and historical purposes without getting the consent of everyone who could possibly be withing camera shot. Photographs and video can be used to "identify a sapient being" and would be personal data under this bill. This interpretation is backed by the author's inclusion of CCTV in the crime-fighting exemption. Recording police as they interact with the general public is vital to keep a society free from abuse, while nominally you could argue that this would be covered under the crime-fighting exemption, we believe that there is too much room for abuse.
Just a Shameless Nobody.

All post are representations of the policy and opinions of the nation of Dreadton and not official TNP policy, unless specifically noted

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:16 am

Dreadton wrote:The nation of Dreadton would not be able to support this proposal and we would encourage our delegate to vote against this bill for the following.

The Nation of Dreadton holds that freedom of the press is a vital part of a democratic society and while a person is in a public space, there is no expectation of privacy. Under this bill, if a camera crew was on the scene, they would not be able to film for news and historical purposes without getting the consent of everyone who could possibly be withing camera shot. Photographs and video can be used to "identify a sapient being" and would be personal data under this bill. This interpretation is backed by the author's inclusion of CCTV in the crime-fighting exemption. Recording police as they interact with the general public is vital to keep a society free from abuse, while nominally you could argue that this would be covered under the crime-fighting exemption, we believe that there is too much room for abuse.

"Your support is greatly appreciated, as to your concerns, they should be dealt with really soon."

Dreadton
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dreadton » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:23 am

Marxist Germany wrote:"Your support is greatly appreciated, as to your concerns, they should be dealt with really soon."

We thank the delegate for listening to our concerns and look forward to further discussions.
Just a Shameless Nobody.

All post are representations of the policy and opinions of the nation of Dreadton and not official TNP policy, unless specifically noted

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:40 am

"What is the compromise - in the title of the proposal - that data needs to be protected from?"

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:52 am

Araraukar wrote:"What is the compromise - in the title of the proposal - that data needs to be protected from?"

"It's the other meaning for compromise. The one that includes data leaks and whatnot, if you have any suggestions for a better name, feel free to post them."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:07 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Araraukar wrote:"What is the compromise - in the title of the proposal - that data needs to be protected from?"

"It's the other meaning for compromise. The one that includes data leaks and whatnot, if you have any suggestions for a better name, feel free to post them."

OOC: Data Protection, Data Collection Restrictions, WA Putting Its Nose Where It's Not Wanted, your pick. :P

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:03 pm

Why not just exempt “Reasonable Right to Privacy” as a standard so you don’t have an issue with specific carve outs. And exemptions. Crime fighting would be better stated as security measures as the measure may be biometric in nature

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:49 pm

“In clause 3e, I suggest adding ‘by the organisation’ or simply ‘by them’ after ‘being stored’, so that organisations have only to ensure the safety of their own data.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:07 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“In clause 3e, I suggest adding ‘by the organisation’ or simply ‘by them’ after ‘being stored’, so that organisations have only to ensure the safety of their own data.”

"That will be fixed."
Liberimery wrote:Why not just exempt “Reasonable Right to Privacy” as a standard so you don’t have an issue with specific carve outs. And exemptions. Crime fighting would be better stated as security measures as the measure may be biometric in nature

"Because that's heavily liable to exploitation."

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:55 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:“In clause 3e, I suggest adding ‘by the organisation’ or simply ‘by them’ after ‘being stored’, so that organisations have only to ensure the safety of their own data.”

"That will be fixed."
Liberimery wrote:Why not just exempt “Reasonable Right to Privacy” as a standard so you don’t have an issue with specific carve outs. And exemptions. Crime fighting would be better stated as security measures as the measure may be biometric in nature

"Because that's heavily liable to exploitation."

SoThird time’s the charm then, right?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives