NATION

PASSWORD

Kyoto Animation studio set on fire, 35 fatalities

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Asfaltum
Envoy

Founded: May 10, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Asfaltum » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:39 am

Harmonic Empire wrote:Lawyer conclusion about the arsonist
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments ... d/evfu05k/

Delusional Megalomaniac

Not sure if I'm missing something, but as far as I can see it's just a heap of conjecture?

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:18 pm

Gigaverse wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/cemj4w/kyoto_animation_studio_kyoani_had_a_fire_break/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ceu2ns/kyoto_animation_fire_megathread/
(reddit as the gateway to a variety of sources)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

At least 26 people are dead and dozens injured after a suspected arson attack at an animation studio in Kyoto, Japan, local emergency officials have said.

Local media quoted police as saying a man broke into the Kyoto Animation Co studio on Thursday morning. Police say the suspect, a 41-year-old, sprayed petrol before igniting it.

Some people still remain unaccounted for, broadcaster NHK reported.

The suspect has been detained and was taken to hospital with injuries.

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the incident was "too appalling for words" and offered condolences to those affected.

In the latest turn of events: one of Japan's most notable animation studios - in terms of product quality and work conditions, relative to the rest of an industry otherwise known for appallingly low working standards - set on fire by arsonist.

35 have been confirmed 'deceased', nearly the same number injured - some in critical condition, shaking the entire nation of Japan and making this incident one of the country's worst mass murders since Aum Shinrikyo's attacks, and the worst arson incident in postwar Japan. The identities of these casualties have not been released by the authorities.

Will keep you posted.

Donations to help relieve families affected will be much appreciated. See below for two important routes.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-kyoani-heal - Legitimate gofundme set up by Sentai Filmworks, a US affiliate of Kyoto Animation. Downside is uncertainty of how Kyoto Animation can use these funds, as they will not go to them directly.

https://kyoani.shop-pro.jp/ - Kyoto Animation's (Japanese-language) store page. The money goes directly to Kyoto Animation, and hardly any processing effort is required on the staff's part. A guide has also been provided to conquer the language barrier.

If Japan had gun laws like Switzerland's, then this could've been prevented. The animators would shoot the terrorist, and everybody goes home happy.
UNDER ECONOMIC MARTIAL LAW (Communism)
The craziest schizo on NationStates. National Trotskyism is my ideology.
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™
There are three genders: Male, Female, and Spam. I respect your opinion if you think otherwise.
Epstein Didn't Kill Himself™
The future will not look like the Jetsons, it will look like Mutant Rampage BodySlam.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:49 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/cemj4w/kyoto_animation_studio_kyoani_had_a_fire_break/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ceu2ns/kyoto_animation_fire_megathread/
(reddit as the gateway to a variety of sources)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

At least 26 people are dead and dozens injured after a suspected arson attack at an animation studio in Kyoto, Japan, local emergency officials have said.

Local media quoted police as saying a man broke into the Kyoto Animation Co studio on Thursday morning. Police say the suspect, a 41-year-old, sprayed petrol before igniting it.

Some people still remain unaccounted for, broadcaster NHK reported.

The suspect has been detained and was taken to hospital with injuries.

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the incident was "too appalling for words" and offered condolences to those affected.

In the latest turn of events: one of Japan's most notable animation studios - in terms of product quality and work conditions, relative to the rest of an industry otherwise known for appallingly low working standards - set on fire by arsonist.

35 have been confirmed 'deceased', nearly the same number injured - some in critical condition, shaking the entire nation of Japan and making this incident one of the country's worst mass murders since Aum Shinrikyo's attacks, and the worst arson incident in postwar Japan. The identities of these casualties have not been released by the authorities.

Will keep you posted.

Donations to help relieve families affected will be much appreciated. See below for two important routes.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-kyoani-heal - Legitimate gofundme set up by Sentai Filmworks, a US affiliate of Kyoto Animation. Downside is uncertainty of how Kyoto Animation can use these funds, as they will not go to them directly.

https://kyoani.shop-pro.jp/ - Kyoto Animation's (Japanese-language) store page. The money goes directly to Kyoto Animation, and hardly any processing effort is required on the staff's part. A guide has also been provided to conquer the language barrier.

If Japan had gun laws like Switzerland's, then this could've been prevented. The animators would shoot the terrorist, and everybody goes home happy.

But when an international tragedy is used to show the need for gun regulations, outrage.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Tornado Queendom wrote:If Japan had gun laws like Switzerland's, then this could've been prevented. The animators would shoot the terrorist, and everybody goes home happy.

But when an international tragedy is used to show the need for gun regulations, outrage.

But it would've been WAY easier in the long run had Japan had the foresight to allow the usage of guns to protect themselves (even if it becomes a "may-issue" state)
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™
There are three genders: Male, Female, and Spam. I respect your opinion if you think otherwise.
The future will not look like the Jetsons, it will look like Mutant Rampage BodySlam.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:58 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:
Gormwood wrote:But when an international tragedy is used to show the need for gun regulations, outrage.

But it would've been WAY easier in the long run had Japan had the foresight to allow the usage of guns to protect themselves (even if it becomes a "may-issue" state)

Because this guy would have stuck to gasoline even if he had the option to buy guns. Sure. Just as much deaths if not way more plus he wouldn't burn himself in the process. You make me picture the episode of The Simpsons where Homer uses a gun to do things like change a TV channel, open a beer can and so on.
Last edited by Gormwood on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Tornado Queendom wrote:But it would've been WAY easier in the long run had Japan had the foresight to allow the usage of guns to protect themselves (even if it becomes a "may-issue" state)

Because this guy would have stuck to gasoline even if he had the option to buy. Sure. Just as much deaths if not way more plus he wouldn't burn himself in the process. You make me picture the episode of The Simpsons where Homer uses a gun to do things like change a TV channel, open a beer can and so on.

I specifically said Switzerland, not Yemen. If they had a high gun tax and outlawed gun ownership ONLY by low IQ people and violent criminals, this would've been prevented. Plus, Gasoline was more effective in his goals. I mean, he wanted to destroy the works that "infringed" his copyright. Guns wouldn't do that, only Gasoline would.
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:If Japan had gun laws like Switzerland's, then this could've been prevented. The animators would shoot the terrorist, and everybody goes home happy.

Go away profiteer.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:14 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Because this guy would have stuck to gasoline even if he had the option to buy. Sure. Just as much deaths if not way more plus he wouldn't burn himself in the process. You make me picture the episode of The Simpsons where Homer uses a gun to do things like change a TV channel, open a beer can and so on.

I specifically said Switzerland, not Yemen. If they had a high gun tax and outlawed gun ownership ONLY by low IQ people and violent criminals, this would've been prevented. Plus, Gasoline was more effective in his goals. I mean, he wanted to destroy the works that "infringed" his copyright. Guns wouldn't do that, only Gasoline would.

*sighs* I believe I already responded to this when we had a hit and run from another poster. Go read up on that. Then go read on Japanese gun laws.

Then read about how Japan had 4 (Again, IIRC) gun deaths last year in a country of 126 million people.

The Japanese seem to be QUITE happy with their gun laws right now.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:07 am

NERVUN wrote:
Tornado Queendom wrote:I specifically said Switzerland, not Yemen. If they had a high gun tax and outlawed gun ownership ONLY by low IQ people and violent criminals, this would've been prevented. Plus, Gasoline was more effective in his goals. I mean, he wanted to destroy the works that "infringed" his copyright. Guns wouldn't do that, only Gasoline would.

*sighs* I believe I already responded to this when we had a hit and run from another poster. Go read up on that. Then go read on Japanese gun laws.

Then read about how Japan had 4 (Again, IIRC) gun deaths last year in a country of 126 million people.

The Japanese seem to be QUITE happy with their gun laws right now.

But apparently people get unhappy when countries which are not America do not work like America.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:28 am

Gigaverse wrote:Applying novel solutions to different cultures, guys, Always works.
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:27 am

Kyoto Police Have Released Names of 10 Victims in Kyoto Animation Attack

In an "unusual" statement delivered to Japanese media on August 2, the Kyoto Prefectural Police released the names of 10 of the 35 victims that died in the attack on Kyoto Animation on July 18, the Kyoto Shimbun reports. The Kyoto Prefectural Police said that they're releasing the names of the 10 victims at this time with the consent of the families involved and because the funerals for the victims are over.

The Kyoto Prefectural Police go on to say that they are working closely with the families of the victims and considering their feelings when releasing the names of the victims, as the families need time to heal and arrange funerals for the deceased. All 35 of the identities of the victims have been confirmed via DNA testing and the other 25 names will be released in due time when the time is right.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Harmonic Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Harmonic Empire » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:23 pm

Vassenor wrote:Kyoto Police Have Released Names of 10 Victims in Kyoto Animation Attack

In an "unusual" statement delivered to Japanese media on August 2, the Kyoto Prefectural Police released the names of 10 of the 35 victims that died in the attack on Kyoto Animation on July 18, the Kyoto Shimbun reports. The Kyoto Prefectural Police said that they're releasing the names of the 10 victims at this time with the consent of the families involved and because the funerals for the victims are over.

The Kyoto Prefectural Police go on to say that they are working closely with the families of the victims and considering their feelings when releasing the names of the victims, as the families need time to heal and arrange funerals for the deceased. All 35 of the identities of the victims have been confirmed via DNA testing and the other 25 names will be released in due time when the time is right.

2019 is really sad year, soo many good people gone in incidents
| ♛ | HARMONIKSA RIKKEN | UNTEMAR | ♛ |
Story of Codex Ylvus will be rewritten and new story will be based on the War in Heaven.
Ase's Book - Eros's Book
Please be sure to check Terra Britania's works! | Someone awakaned me from my long stasis. | Up for a challenge? Just contact me.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General