NATION

PASSWORD

Right-Wing Discussion Thread XVII: The Snark Enlightenment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Has Shinzo Abe's leadership been good for Japan?

Yes
31%
No
26%
Unsure
44%

Total votes : 121

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Right-Wing Discussion Thread XVII: The Snark Enlightenment

Postby Old Tyrannia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:06 pm

The Right Wing Discussion Thread
Part XVII
The Snark Enlightenment

TS Eliot wrote: In this last of meeting places
We grope together
And avoid speech
Gathered on this beach of the tumid river

Is it that time again? It seems only yesterday that our thread was entering its sixteenth incarnation, but the wheel of time has turned another full circle, and once again the Mandate of Heaven has fallen on me, your humble patrician, to oversee the rowdy virtual debate hall that is the Right-Wing Discussion Thread. Here, right-wingers of various persuasions debate politics, economics, history and philosophy in their uniquely charmless way. Whether you are a blackshirt in waiting, a gun-toting libertarian or a wine-sipping wannabe aristocrat, there is a home for you here- and our frenemies from across the political divide are invited to dip their toes in, too, if they have the stomach for it. Just remember, when all is said and done, we're all just here for the memes.

Remember to keep to topics related to right-wing politics- whilst the conversation may naturally meander around such areas as religion, philosophy and, of course, left-wing ideology, please, please try to limit discussion of these topics to their relevance to the political right. We leave it up to posters to decide for themselves what constitutes "right-wing" in political jargon. Respect your fellow posters, abide by the site rules and be prepared to have your views challenged, mocked, torn apart, shat on and flushed down the toilet.

In absence of other requests, I'm planning to run a series of pre-planned polls this time around canvassing opinions on contemporary right-wing leaders. Suggestions for improvements, changes, or additions to the OP are as always welcome.

Relevant subjects for discussion include:

• The politics, philosophies, and ideologies of the right.
  • Right-wing perspectives on economics and political economy.
  • News and history relevant to the political Right.
  • Right-wing responses to current events.
  • Right-wing perspectives on social and economic problems.
  • Political, social, cultural, and economic problems and their solutions according to the political Right.
  • The problems facing particular Right-wing movements or the political right in general, and how to resolve them.

Previous Iterations:

Poll History:

Poll 1: Is Cultural Marxism a Problem? (Jochistan) - 54% Voted Yes
Poll 2: Favourite Right-Wing Politicians? (Kauthar) - 25% voted Donald Trump
Poll 3: Favourite Right-Wing Autocrats (Unnamed Island State) - 45% voted Vladamir Putin
Poll 4: Best Right-Wing Countries (Kauthar) - Putin's Russia 21%
Poll 5: Best Right-Wing Idealogue (Legitimists)

Poll 1: What Right-Wing Ideology do you adhere to? - 55 votes for Libertarian
Poll 2 Favourite Right-Wing Economic System - 31 votes for Neoliberalism
Poll 3: Favourite Right-Wing Dictator - 18 Votes Kai Shek and Pinochet
Poll 4: Favourite Right-Wing Dictator PART 2 - David Cameron 49%
Poll 5: Prominent Right-Wing NSers/Favourite Future Right-Wing Dictator - Old Tyrannia 39 votes/29%
Poll 6: Favourite Fictional Right-Wing Dictators - Emperor Palpatine (Star Wars) 43 Votes/23%

Poll 0.1: Continue the Old Poll Y/N
Poll 1: Favourite Right-Wing Ideologies - Libertarianism/Minarchism

Poll 1: Favorite Centre-Right Parties - Republican Party (US) 39%
Poll 2: What should be the most important core value of a state ideology? Liberty 47%

Poll 1: Which piece of literature has been most significant to the development of right-wing ideology? - Reflections on the Revolution in France 68/237 (29%)
Poll 2: Favourite constitutional/government models? - US 166/528 (31%)

Poll 1: If you could reverse the outcomes of one of these events, which one would it be? - The Russian Revolution 116/343 (34%)
Poll 2: If you could ensure the survival of one empire at their height, which would it be? - The Roman Empire 119/495 (24%)

Do you drink alcohol and what's your opinion of it?
No, and I have a negative opinion of it. It should remain legal. - 57 (36%)
Total Votes: 157 (Recorded 09/01/2017)

Poll 1: Which of the following Trump picks are you most happy with? And are you overall satisfied with them? - James Norman Mattis 92/384 Terrible picks, what have we gotten ourselves into. 97/384
Poll 2: Is Islam compatible with western civilisation? No - 102/330. If reformed yes - 102/330
Poll 3: Which side, for the sake of mankind, should have won WW1? The Allied Powers - 225/385
Poll 4: Was the Reformation a good thing? Yes - 146/287

Poll 1: If you could alter or overturn one of these treaties, which would it be? Treaty of Versailles - 365/564

Poll 1: What stance do you take on immigration? Limited open borders that prioritises only high skilled labour. Melting-pot model. - 204/814

Poll 1: Which Kievan/Novrogrodian/Russian/Soviet leader was the greatest? Peter I The Great. 66/210

Poll 1: Which Japanese Shogunate was the most glorious? - MacArthur Shogunate :'). 289/450

Poll I: How should the government interact with religion? - Secularism 124/212 (58%)
Poll II: What's your favorite Eastern Philosophy? - Confucianism 45/206 (22%), Other/None 56/206 (27%)
Poll III: What's your favorite style of architecture? - Gothic 33/189 (17%)
Poll IV: To what ethical philosophy do you subscribe? - Natural Law Theory 20/112 (18%)

Poll I: Who is your favourite right-wing fiction writer? - JRR Tolkien 101/187 (54%)
Poll II: Do you consider nationalism and patriotism synonymous? - No- I am a patriot, not a nationalist (34%)

Poll I: Is Jair Bolsonaro's presidency a good thing for Brazil? - No 101/196 (52%)
Poll II: Has Angela Merkel's leadership been good for Germany? - No 112/222 (50%)
Poll III: Has Donald Trump's presidency so far been beneficial to the United States? - No 82/149 (55%)
Poll IV: Has Shinzo Abe's leadership been good for Japan? (Ongoing)

Reading Suggestions:
If you’re looking to read something relevant to right-wing politics, consider reading some of the texts below. If you think something’s missing from this list, please post a recommendation. If you think something should be removed, please explain why.

• ”Leviathan”
    — Thomas Hobbes. (Read Here)
  • ”Two Treatises of Government”
    — John Locke. (Read Here)
  • ”The Protestant Work Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism.”
    — Max Weber.
  • ”Reflections on the Revolution in France”
    — Edmund Burke. (Read Here)
  • ”The Wealth Of Nations”
    — Adam Smith. (Read Here)
  • ”Essay on the Generative Principle of Political Constitutions and other Human Institutions”
    — Joseph de Maistre. (Read Here)
  • ”Rerum novarum”
    — Pope Leo XIII. (Read Here)
  • ”The Crisis of the Modern World”
    — Rene Guenon. (Read Here)
  • ”The Doctrine Of Fascism”
    — Benito Mussolini. (Read Here)
  • ”The Conservative Mind”
    — Russell Kirk.
  • "On the Constutution of Church and State"
    — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
  • "Political Theology"
    — Carl Schmitt (Read Here)
  • "Revolt Against The Modern World"
    — Julius Evola
  • "How To Be A Conservative"
    — Roger Scruton

If you have a penchant for the colour red and the thought of top hats and canes stirs your bloodlust, you might find yourself fitting in better over at the Left-Wing Discussion Thread.
Last edited by Old Tyrannia on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:47 am, edited 10 times in total.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:07 pm

first

now bye
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:08 pm

It begins again.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:08 pm

Wait, so, I'm new to this thread series. What's the point of this?
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.

This user is a male.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:09 pm

Was gonna say something before last thread got locked, but I'll just do it here - Nea Byzantia, you've got a very interesting view of leftism if you think classical liberals can be called left-wing.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:09 pm

Good afternoon everybody.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:09 pm

A new dawn awaits.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:09 pm

And the fuckery shall live on for another 500 pages.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:10 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Was gonna say something before last thread got locked, but I'll just do it here - Nea Byzantia, you've got a very interesting view of leftism if you think classical liberals can be called left-wing.

Where would you put me on the political spectrum?

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:10 pm

Pacomia wrote:Wait, so, I'm new to this thread series. What's the point of this?

Every 500 pages we make a new thread.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:10 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Was gonna say something before last thread got locked, but I'll just do it here - Nea Byzantia, you've got a very interesting view of leftism if you think classical liberals can be called left-wing.

Society has moved so Leftward that Classical Liberalism is now considered Right-Wing; but it was not always this way.

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:10 pm

I haven't actually seen any Left-Wing Discussion threads. Maybe I should make one.

This user is a male.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:11 pm

Pacomia wrote:Wait, so, I'm new to this thread series. What's the point of this?

It is to discuss and debate any right-wing philosophies.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:12 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:

Center-right libertarian with centrist leanings.

Until you are being endangered by communism.

Then you slide all the way towards the right.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:12 pm

Pacomia wrote:I haven't actually seen any Left-Wing Discussion threads. Maybe I should make one.

One already exists. When it gets locked after reaching 500 pages, feel free to post the next installment of it.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:12 pm

Old Tyrannia a reading list suggestion if I may?

The Right Side of History: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great by Ben Shapiro.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:13 pm

The Freikorps did nothing wrong.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:13 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:Old Tyrannia a reading list suggestion if I may?

The Right Side of History: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great by Ben Shapiro.

Ugh, Ben Shapiro... Really?
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:13 pm

Oof.
Capilean News (Updated 16 November)
Where is the horse gone? Where the warrior?
Where is the treasure-giver? Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup! Alas for the mailed warrior!
Alas for the splendour of the prince!
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:13 pm

Nea Byzantia wrote:

Society has moved so Leftward that Classical Liberalism is now considered Right-Wing; but it was not always this way.

well yes, back in the day when it was left wing minarchism was similarly somewhere around the center/establishment arguably, calling out political leanings on relative historical positions doesn't seem prudent imo
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:14 pm

Pacomia wrote:I haven't actually seen any Left-Wing Discussion threads. Maybe I should make one.

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=461765

If we're talking like, two-axis political compass nonsense, firmly lib-right. In more specific terms I'd describe you as a right-libertarian with nationalist tendencies.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:14 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:

Ugh, Ben Shapiro... Really?

oh uh... *Scoots away*
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:14 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:The Freikorps did nothing wrong.

the SADF didn't either :^)
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Pacomia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:14 pm

One already exists. When it gets locked, feel free to post the next installment of it.

Cool.

I might hang around both this thread and that one, or only one, or neither. I personally am a moderate leftist, I hold mostly left-wing ideals (especially related to the economy), but a few more conservative ones. I think both ideologies are valid.

This user is a male.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:It begins again.

And we must again plunge into the depths of the darkness, despite knowing we shall find nothing but terror and sorrow.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General