NATION

PASSWORD

[Legality Challenge] On National Security and Migration

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

[Legality Challenge] On National Security and Migration

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:52 am

This has reached queue.

Proposal's thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=468835

On National Security and Migration

Category: Political Stability
Strength: Significant

Proposed by: Greater Austrian Danube

The World Assembly,

Understands the role of economic and cultural migrants.

Discerning the right to secure borders and achieve stability.

Deducing the ability for a nation to legislate its own federal laws and protect its border(s) and civilians from outside harm.

Describing the role of the World Assembly in migration as an international agency which is not to infringe on member states’ abilities.

Hereby,

Defines the following for the purpose of this resolution:

a. An “Immigrant” is an individual that moved into a nation for residency without obtaining citizenship but may continue the path to naturalization.

b. “National security” is the act of a nation protecting itself from attack or danger from entering its nations border.

c. A “Migrant” is any person who moves from one place to another for work or better living conditions.

d. A “Refugee” is an individual forced to leave their country due to political or economic oppression, persecution, natural disaster, or any other type of warfare.

e. An “Asylum Seeker” is an individual seeking political refuge; see subclause ‘1.d’ for all the types in which refugee status can be granted.

2. Demands that:

I. Nations have the right to deny migrants access into its borders for the purpose of protecting its citizens and society from harm, therefore nations are allowed to deny entry into the nation to any non-legal migrant unless defined as a legal refugee; seeking asylum.

II. Nations are not allowed to pick which individual migrant is allowed entry for a discriminatory reason; However, they can deny their entry on the basis of national security and risk of lacking cultural integration.

Co-authored with Tribes of Unknown Origin

Rules broken: Category, Contradiction, (maybe Duplication and Strength)

In a real hurry (5 minutes and out the door), but there's no way "you have to let these people into the nation whether you want to or not" can be Political Stability. And the "risk of lacking cultural integration" is a random reductive category if I ever saw one, thus violating CoCR (especially as presumably such cultural thing would rely on ethnicity, religion, etc.).

Alternatively this is nothing but duplication or so largely covered by existing resolutions that it can't be Significant strength.

Will add more once back home.

EDIT: Others below pretty much posted what I meant to add. If I can think of something else once my brain has stopped being a melted puddle, I'll add later.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:58 am

You'll be surprised to hear this one, Ara, but I actually agree with you, in part. The category is wrong, it should probably be Moral Decency if we operate on the presumption that entrance into a nation is a civil right, statistics affect populations, and removing the right to enter would lower civil rights. Under the Secretariat's current operating practice, which is of "one best category" (however that is adjudicated post hoc...), that'd meet the Category burden.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:05 am

Clause 2-II is a duplication of CoCR, if one assumes that national security and cultural integration are compelling practical purpose. Alternatively, it would be contradiction, if one doesn’t assume this meets the standard. Either way, the proposal must be illegal for one of the two reasons.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:48 am

Clause I is duplication of Refugee Protection GA#57, and Clause II is either duplication or contradiction of GA#35 Charter of Civil Rights.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:13 am

Agreed about category.
Considering the other points raised.

Also, I'm dubious about whether "Demands that" is actually a valid operative clause given that it doesn't seem to be addressed to anybody: It looks like the author themselves demanding this of the GA, rather than something written -- as proposals are supposed to be -- from the GA's viewpoint.

EDIT: I've marked it as illegal on the basis of category, so the balance is currently 2:1 rather than 2:0.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:32 pm

Hmmm. On second thoughts the argument regarding contradiction with COCR (given GenSec precedent on that resolution) does look like an issue. I'll return to this with my full thoughts later.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:33 am

Bananaistan wrote:Hmmm. On second thoughts the argument regarding contradiction with COCR (given GenSec precedent on that resolution) does look like an issue. I'll return to this with my full thoughts later.

What about the category? Full thoughts later is totally fine, though, as I'm about to head out into the possibly last day of heat to melt my brain at lakeside and in a lake (stupid airbreathing species that we are, the head needs to be mostly abovewater)... 8)
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:35 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:You'll be surprised to hear this one, Ara, but I actually agree with you, in part. The category is wrong, it should probably be Moral Decency if we operate on the presumption that entrance into a nation is a civil right, statistics affect populations, and removing the right to enter would lower civil rights. Under the Secretariat's current operating practice, which is of "one best category" (however that is adjudicated post hoc...), that'd meet the Category burden.

This is my reading, and I marked it illegal accordingly.

I have not reached the duplication issue. I will not be able to before this either makes or fails quorum.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:58 am

For the author's reference, in case they eventually submit a revised proposal _

Approvals: 75 (Greater Austrian Danube, Grand Empire of Luxembourg, Ibenta, Integralists Of Brazil, The Greater Union of Man, Libearte, Fedele, Greater Elbia and Ostland, Smiley Bob, New Luciannova, Dragons of Power, The Land of Districts, Otaku Stratus, The Tomerlands, Holy Roman Empires2, Kakazagistan, Enlais, The Flyin, 7LM Powerhouse, Molson Iceland, Hypron, De-Voss, Harakaze, Kushrum, Gooutofhere, Sudablackt, Perelingo, Nrutasica, Falangalist Polovia, Tecalgia, Yanab, The Hanzanburg Union, Bettisia, Footscray, Hfhbsd, Dillonia, Omaha Utopia, Eastern-European Nations, Romanian-Slavia, Zombiedolphins, Altorthfnara, Boku no Pica, Beautiful Rhodesia, Etestein, Soyix, Palait, Refuge Isle, San Lumen, Republic Eden, The Dylanese, Independant Canada, Jew Man, Greater Serbian Provinces, Greater Germany, Arrstotzka, Neues Griechisches Reich, Austronta, Sweatika, Brazika, Stalins Russian Utopia, Royal Kingdom of Ni, RMSboatymcboatface, Hundredstar, Tibbsia, New Order Philippines, United Civil Republic, Deuctland, Kamchakta, Scardinius, Leranditale, Pontanova, New Legland, Imperial Majapahit, St Nevis And Kitts, Tylard)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:32 am

Araraukar wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:Hmmm. On second thoughts the argument regarding contradiction with COCR (given GenSec precedent on that resolution) does look like an issue. I'll return to this with my full thoughts later.

What about the category? Full thoughts later is totally fine, though, as I'm about to head out into the possibly last day of heat to melt my brain at lakeside and in a lake (stupid airbreathing species that we are, the head needs to be mostly abovewater)... 8)

Yeah, I agree with the rest of GenSec regarding the category also. I have marked illegal now as well including for contradiction of COCR.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

LaVeyio
Civilian

Founded: Aug 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

On National Security and Migration

Postby LaVeyio » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:41 pm

If we act on the fact that migration being a human right then how will that show up statistally speaking?
This could have a drastic effect on a Country's population and increase a countries crime rate causing a nation to face more problems down the road.

PS: Yeah honestly I a new to Nationstates and I am a little lost when it comes to the server I have a basic concept of the rules and whatnot but there are a lot of Small functions I have yet to wrap my egg-headed brain around.
So plz help a noobie thankz.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:10 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:You'll be surprised to hear this one, Ara, but I actually agree with you, in part. The category is wrong, it should probably be Moral Decency if we operate on the presumption that entrance into a nation is a civil right, statistics affect populations, and removing the right to enter would lower civil rights. Under the Secretariat's current operating practice, which is of "one best category" (however that is adjudicated post hoc...), that'd meet the Category burden.

Looks like International Security/Mild to me.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:27 am

Wayneactia wrote:

It's not increasing military spending
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:14 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Wayneactia wrote:

It's not increasing military spending

"Nations have the right to deny migrants access into its borders for the purpose of protecting its citizens and society from harm, therefore nations are allowed to deny entry into the nation to any non-legal migrant unless defined as a legal refugee; seeking asylum."

Increases law enforcement spending.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly