NATION

PASSWORD

F&NI General Help Thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: F&NI General Help Thread

Postby Yohannes » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:50 pm

Arcadian States and Commonwealths wrote:
https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1226929

I am trying to rework my military factbook, and I am wondering how to get my spoilers fro my ranks side by side?

Hi Arcadia,

[ Click me ]
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Karevka
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:41 pm

So I need help with factbook ideas. The areas I need to expand are Economy (1 FB) and Culture (3 FBs).

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:18 pm

Karevka wrote:So I need help with factbook ideas. The areas I need to expand are Economy (1 FB) and Culture (3 FBs).

Hi Karevka, I haven't checked your Culture dispatches yet, but I've seen your "Non State-Owned Corporations and Companies (not complete, and probably won't be)" dispatch and I like what I'm seeing.

The best way to find the right ideas and get your nation-building rhythm moving is to use Google Search. What's on your mind? Try to Google search "state-owned enterprise."

I love reading random NationStates writers and worldbuilders' factbook dispatches. When I read someone's in-character dispatch or their Forum Posts history, I usually look at three things: What kind of writer are you. Why did you create your fictional nation (e.g. is this an internet troll or comedy nation account). What is your age bracket or background.

From reading your Forum Posts history and your factbook dispatches, I think you're going to do just fine. You've started from the basics. You did not copy generic Wikipedia articles or mundane Wikipedia information, such as how big is your GDP (I don't need to know), how influential is your economy (everyone's economy on NationStates is influential), and how much you import or export (I probably already know from reading your other dispatches). Instead, you've opted to write about the characteristics of your fictional country's legal entity types (e.g. state-owned corporations). It shows that you're invested in writing about the characteristics of your nation; its well-known distinctive features which set it apart from others.
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Karevka
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Yohannes wrote:
Karevka wrote:So I need help with factbook ideas. The areas I need to expand are Economy (1 FB) and Culture (3 FBs).

Hi Karevka, I haven't checked your Culture dispatches yet, but I've seen your "Non State-Owned Corporations and Companies (not complete, and probably won't be)" dispatch and I like what I'm seeing.

The best way to find the right ideas and get your nation-building rhythm moving is to use Google Search. What's on your mind? Try to Google search "state-owned enterprise."

I love reading random NationStates writers and worldbuilders' factbook dispatches. When I read someone's in-character dispatch or their Forum Posts history, I usually look at three things: What kind of writer are you. Why did you create your fictional nation (e.g. is this an internet troll or comedy nation account). What is your age bracket or background.

From reading your Forum Posts history and your factbook dispatches, I think you're going to do just fine. You've started from the basics. You did not copy generic Wikipedia articles or mundane Wikipedia information, such as how big is your GDP (I don't need to know), how influential is your economy (everyone's economy on NationStates is influential), and how much you import or export (I probably already know from reading your other dispatches). Instead, you've opted to write about the characteristics of your fictional country's legal entity types (e.g. state-owned corporations). It shows that you're invested in writing about the characteristics of your nation; its well-known distinctive features which set it apart from others.

That's a good start. I feel like another distinct feature is how the Politburo is accountable to the Central State Committee, which can remove Politburo members need be. But I don't know where to go from there? One idea I had bouncing around was the role of women but I don't know how to compose it.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:18 pm

Karevka wrote:That's a good start. I feel like another distinct feature is how the Politburo is accountable to the Central State Committee, which can remove Politburo members need be. But I don't know where to go from there? One idea I had bouncing around was the role of women but I don't know how to compose it.

The main points of my previous post were as follows: Only you can find the best answers for your fictional nation. Independent thinking and research skills will help you more in the long run. You don't have to worry too much about whether what you write about is right or wrong because I know your age bracket and your educational background.

Google Search is your best friend. Try it. Once you've written something new about your nation, come back and post in the NS Non-Military Realism Consultation Thread.

Karevka
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Yohannes wrote:
Karevka wrote:That's a good start. I feel like another distinct feature is how the Politburo is accountable to the Central State Committee, which can remove Politburo members need be. But I don't know where to go from there? One idea I had bouncing around was the role of women but I don't know how to compose it.

The main points of my previous post were as follows: Only you can find the best answers for your fictional nation. Independent thinking and research skills will help you more in the long run. You don't have to worry too much about whether what you write about is right or wrong because I know your age bracket and your educational background.

Google Search is your best friend. Try it. Once you've written something new about your nation, come back and post in the NS Non-Military Realism Consultation Thread.

Okay.

Dictoriahon
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

The Titan Files - Don't read them

Postby Dictoriahon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Really, don't read them.
Except if you're the Supreme Leader.
And I'm the Supreme Leader.
Don't bother.

They are of the utmost importance.
Honestly, don't.
Everybody, ya hear me?
Maybe I shouldn't have posted this.

(Read the first letter of each line. Is this mnemonic too dumb?)
Last edited by Dictoriahon on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Empire of Dictoriahon
Founded Nov. 30 2018
We are a nation of heavily suppressed loyal citizens led with an iron fist a benevolent hand by our wise ruler Supreme Leader Sebastian Dictorus. We treat our citizens with brutality hospitality and host a virtually decimated thriving environment.

Dictoriahon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dictoriahon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:58 pm

Yup, it's too dumb.
Founded Nov. 30 2018
We are a nation of heavily suppressed loyal citizens led with an iron fist a benevolent hand by our wise ruler Supreme Leader Sebastian Dictorus. We treat our citizens with brutality hospitality and host a virtually decimated thriving environment.

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:28 pm

{ OOC: I disagree. This Factbook is fantastic. I especially love the fancy tables and graphs. }
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Dictoriahon wrote:
Really, don't read them.
Don't bother.

Honestly, don't.
Everybody, ya hear me?

(Read the first letter of each line. Is this code too dumb?)

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:{ OOC: I disagree. This Factbook is fantastic. I especially love the fancy tables and graphs. }

TURTLESHROOM II is right.

P.S. My favourite one: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=dic ... id=1232860

Simple and to the point. It's lovely!

Never give up if you enjoy writing here Image

Dictoriahon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dictoriahon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Yohannes wrote:
Dictoriahon wrote:
Really, don't read them.
Don't bother.

Honestly, don't.
Everybody, ya hear me?

(Read the first letter of each line. Is this code too dumb?)

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:{ OOC: I disagree. This Factbook is fantastic. I especially love the fancy tables and graphs. }

TURTLESHROOM II is right.

P.S. My favourite one: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=dic ... id=1232860

Simple and to the point. It's lovely!

Never give up if you enjoy writing here Image

Still working on that one!
Founded Nov. 30 2018

Dictoriahon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dictoriahon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Dictoriahon wrote:Yup, it's too dumb.

By this, I refer to this:
Founded Nov. 30 2018

Dictoriahon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dictoriahon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Dictoriahon wrote:Really, don't read them.
Don't bother.

Honestly, don't.
Everybody, ya hear me?

(Read the first letter of each line. Is this mnemonic too dumb?)
Founded Nov. 30 2018

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:17 pm

My Q&A is more desolate than I thought it would be. Am K doing something wrong?
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

Karevka
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:02 am

What thread can I ask in for someone to make some shoulder boards I drew? I literally have no idea where to ask for this stuff. I have to go bed soon so I can have the image up by tomorrow if anyone was interested.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Karevka wrote:What thread can I ask in for someone to make some shoulder boards I drew? I literally have no idea where to ask for this stuff. I have to go bed soon so I can have the image up by tomorrow if anyone was interested.

For future reference, threads such as this are listed in this sticky pinned at the top of this board.

There isn't a "shoulder board request thread"; there are flag, logo/seal, and map request threads. There is a Create Your Own Everything thread, which is geared more toward helping one another make your own graphics and art for your nation, showing such of, and constructive criticism related to such. While some folks in the thread may be willing to design something for you, it is not generally a request thread, so keep that in mind if you post there.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Karevka
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Kyrusia wrote:
Karevka wrote:What thread can I ask in for someone to make some shoulder boards I drew? I literally have no idea where to ask for this stuff. I have to go bed soon so I can have the image up by tomorrow if anyone was interested.

For future reference, threads such as this are listed in this sticky pinned at the top of this board.

There isn't a "shoulder board request thread"; there are flag, logo/seal, and map request threads. There is a Create Your Own Everything thread, which is geared more toward helping one another make your own graphics and art for your nation, showing such of, and constructive criticism related to such. While some folks in the thread may be willing to design something for you, it is not generally a request thread, so keep that in mind if you post there.

Thanks. I was just put a little off by the No Begging part of the title.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:07 pm

Karevka wrote:
Kyrusia wrote:For future reference, threads such as this are listed in this sticky pinned at the top of this board.

Thanks. I was just put a little off by the No Begging part of the title.

Well really people shouldn't be begging in any thread, even the request threads. No one is obligated to make another player something, and given that isn't a request thread, it's understandable to be in the title to make that clear.

That said, I'm sure someone might be willing to help you improve your own stuff, point you in the direction of tutorials, and generally help out with regard to the same.
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Ding Ling
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Seems many NSers are RPing nations "opposite" of.....

Postby Ding Ling » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:20 am

their beliefs. There is some sort of appeal in playing the bad guy or playing a Nation which you consider/perceive is a bad guy for having the opposite beliefs as you. It's the same reason why some people chose to play as Cobra when playing with Hasbro toys while you were younger or chose the Brotherhood of Nod while playing C & C. Am I right? Or are there other reasons? :lol:

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:23 am

Or maybe the appeal to role playing is that you can be something you normally wouldn't be.
Merry Christmas!

Borovan entered the region as he
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Borovan entered the region as he » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 am

It's boring when you're doing the same beliefs. But I don't see them as necessarily a bad guy.

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:29 am

Ding Ling wrote:their beliefs. There is some sort of appeal in playing the bad guy or playing a Nation which you consider/perceive is a bad guy for having the opposite beliefs as you. It's the same reason why some people chose to play as Cobra when playing with Hasbro toys while you were younger or chose the Brotherhood of Nod while playing C & C. Am I right? Or are there other reasons? :lol:

> Implying that the Brotherhood of Nod aren’t the good guys

That’s a bad take, if I’ve ever seen one. Kane did literally nothing wrong. You can’t kill the messiah. Peace through power. One vision, one purpose. He who controls the past commands the future, He who commands the future, conquers the past. And so on and such.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:05 am

Ding Ling wrote:their beliefs. There is some sort of appeal in playing the bad guy or playing a Nation which you consider/perceive is a bad guy for having the opposite beliefs as you. It's the same reason why some people chose to play as Cobra when playing with Hasbro toys while you were younger or chose the Brotherhood of Nod while playing C & C. Am I right? Or are there other reasons? :lol:

I think it has to do with simplicity, too.

What's easier to manage and create? A fully-fledged realistic nation that mirrors your predictably complex beliefs; or a comical, one-dimensional dictatorship ruled by "the bad guys"? Understandably, a lot of people don't have the time or courage to do the former.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:06 am

Because it's fun. :)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

South Acren
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby South Acren » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:10 am

I dunno. Some people enjoy seeing the argument from their enemy's eyes. Or maybe they set their enemies up to fail against them. I do not know. I always run the evil dictatorship that needs to be removed. I mean who doesnt want to play the bad guys. Usually they get the cool stuff.
"Gott Mit Uns!"
.....begin transmission

Be not afraid. We now acknowledge your existence. You are now under protection of The Eternal Empire. We will guard you with our lives forevermore. Pray you never give us a reason to revoke it.
Imperium Aeterna, Empire Eternal

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information