NATION

PASSWORD

June 2019 was hottest on record for the globe

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:54 am

Nakena wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:Source on that?

At minimum, the Maledives economy will definitely go under.

I don't live in the Maledives.

And the sea level rise doesn't seem like much when the ABSOLUTELY WORST predictions put it at barely over +2m by the end of the century.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:56 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Nakena wrote:
At minimum, the Maledives economy will definitely go under.

I don't live in the Maledives.

Given that they're a hive of ISIS supporters and other nastyness that is probably better for you.

But say, do you think we should do something about that?

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:57 am

Nakena wrote:Given that they're a hive of ISIS supporters and other nastyness that is probably better for you.

Source? :eyebrow:

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:59 am

Nakena wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:I don't live in the Maledives.

Given that they're a hive of ISIS supporters and other nastyness that is probably better for you.

Not really, as the sea level rise is likely not going to be above 1 metre.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:02 am

-Astoria wrote:
Nakena wrote:Given that they're a hive of ISIS supporters and other nastyness that is probably better for you.

Source? :eyebrow:

Enjoy the sauce:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/18/worl ... alism.html
https://thediplomat.com/2019/03/the-mal ... ist-block/
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 31574.html
https://www.nrc.no/perspectives/2017/wh ... re-heroes/

Petrolheadia wrote:
Nakena wrote:

Not really, as the sea level rise is likely not going to be above 1 metre.

I agree with your first point based on that I disagree with your second point.

Otira
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Otira » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:08 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:I live in a rural region of a country that will benefit from global warming, so it's hard for me to get angry about this.

Climate refugees, rising sea levels, global economic collapse, famine and war. I don’t see anyone benefiting from that.

I live in a region of a country that will benefit from all these things, so it's hard for me to get angry about them.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:11 am

Otira wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Climate refugees, rising sea levels, global economic collapse, famine and war. I don’t see anyone benefiting from that.

I live in a region of a country that will benefit from all these things, so it's hard for me to get angry about them.

So you enjoy climate change too?

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:13 am

Otira wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:

And how will you feel when your region is taken over by people moving out of the more vulnerable areas?
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Otira
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Otira » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:19 am

Nakena wrote:
Otira wrote:

If anything, "climate change" (or as we call it, The Greatest Hoax), isn't happening fast enough.

Gods, I hope my sarcasm is apparent :p

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:23 am

Otira wrote:
Nakena wrote:

If anything, "climate change" (or as we call it, The Greatest Hoax), isn't happening fast enough.

You literally spoiled it.

It's best enjoyed pure. :p
Last edited by Nakena on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Otira
Envoy

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Otira » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:51 am

Nakena wrote:
Otira wrote:

You literally spoiled it.

It's best enjoyed pure. :p

I have that habit :oops:

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 am

Otira wrote:
Nakena wrote:

Now I just have no clue what your position is in this debate.
Everything is intertwinkled

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:41 am

Honestly, Politicians and many Americans civilians should care about this issue. The world is essentially on fire and we need to combat this ASAP. If not, we're going to experience a massive amount of problems from temperatures that make it difficult to go out to crops failing to grow (thus famine ensues), and floods and natural disasters that causes many people to become refugees.

Regardless whether one is Liberal, Conservative, Far-Left, Far-Right, Centrist or Apolitical, we ALL should care about this because the literal existence of the human race is dependent on us making efforts to slow down or (hopefully) reverse global warming.

EastKekistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby EastKekistan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:03 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:the very hot sause

Mother Earth worked up a major sweat last month. Scorching temperatures made June 2019 the hottest June on record for the globe. And for the second month in a row, warmth brought Antarctic sea-ice coverage to a new low for June.

Here’s a closer look into NOAA’s latest monthly global climate report:

Climate by the numbers
June 2019
The average global temperature in June was 1.71 degrees F above the 20th-century average of 59.9 degrees, making it the hottest June in the 140-year record, according scientists to NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information.

Nine of the 10 hottest Junes have occurred since 2010. Last month also was the 43rd consecutive June and 414th consecutive month with above-average global temperatures.

Year to date I January through June
The period from January through June produced a global temperature 1.71 degrees F above the 20th-century average of 56.3 degrees, tying with 2017, as the second-hottest year to date on record.

It was the hottest first half of the year for: South America, parts of the southern portion of Africa, Madagascar, New Zealand, Alaska, western Canada, Mexico, eastern Asia, the Atlantic and Indian oceans, and the Bering Sea.

More notable stats and facts
Sea ice keeps melting: Average Antarctic sea-ice coverage was 8.5% below the 1981-2010 average – the smallest on record for June. Average Arctic sea ice coverage was 10.5% below average – the second-smallest on record for June.

A slightly cooler year, so far, for some: The contiguous U.S. and southern Canada had year-to-date temperatures at least 1.8 degrees F cooler than average.

More proof on top of the insurmountable pile of proof that Global Warming is fucking us up big time.

All of mankind needs to drastically change our ways now.

We need more fission plants and dams. We need fusion.

We need electric cars.

But what say you NSG?

Damn. We need a solution.
1. 85% of the moon
2. 45% of Mars
3. The rest of the Solar System (Solar System is Division 0)
4. 27 other divisions (Division 1-27)
An alliance of racially Northeast Asian countries friendly with White Nationalists, Zionists and nationalists in the Middle East and India.
We are an alliance of rich, safe and clean nations. Rapid scientific development, space exploration, modern cities, skyscrapers and high-speed trains..you will enjoy ultra-modern life if you come and visit us.
We were a Tier 7, Level 0, Type 8 civilization according to this index. Our old map News By 3173 we rule over the universe.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:20 pm

12 years to live
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Mother Earth worked up a major sweat last month. Scorching temperatures made June 2019 the hottest June on record for the globe. And for the second month in a row, warmth brought Antarctic sea-ice coverage to a new low for June.

Here’s a closer look into NOAA’s latest monthly global climate report:

Climate by the numbers
June 2019
The average global temperature in June was 1.71 degrees F above the 20th-century average of 59.9 degrees, making it the hottest June in the 140-year record, according scientists to NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information.

Nine of the 10 hottest Junes have occurred since 2010. Last month also was the 43rd consecutive June and 414th consecutive month with above-average global temperatures.

Year to date I January through June
The period from January through June produced a global temperature 1.71 degrees F above the 20th-century average of 56.3 degrees, tying with 2017, as the second-hottest year to date on record.

It was the hottest first half of the year for: South America, parts of the southern portion of Africa, Madagascar, New Zealand, Alaska, western Canada, Mexico, eastern Asia, the Atlantic and Indian oceans, and the Bering Sea.

More notable stats and facts
Sea ice keeps melting: Average Antarctic sea-ice coverage was 8.5% below the 1981-2010 average – the smallest on record for June. Average Arctic sea ice coverage was 10.5% below average – the second-smallest on record for June.

A slightly cooler year, so far, for some: The contiguous U.S. and southern Canada had year-to-date temperatures at least 1.8 degrees F cooler than average.

More proof on top of the insurmountable pile of proof that Global Warming is fucking us up big time.

We need electric cars.

But what say you NSG?

Preventing sub-Saharan Africa's population from reaching the billions would be a an extremely helpful first step.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Wooohooo new world Record USA USA USA!!!!
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:Preventing sub-Saharan Africa's population from reaching the billions would be a an extremely helpful first step.

Bear Stearns right now

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:30 pm

Nakena wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:Preventing sub-Saharan Africa's population from reaching the billions would be a an extremely helpful first step.

Bear Stearns right now

Good one.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:12 years to live

Don't believe in everything you hear.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

We need electric cars.

But what say you NSG?

Preventing sub-Saharan Africa's population from reaching the billions would be a an extremely helpful first step.

Literally 100 companies are responsible for 71% of global emissions.

A different approach is needed, and it is needed quickly. You're spouting absolute nonsense (no doubt with a malicious undertone), especially considering that Africa, as a continent, hardly emits a significant level of carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions on account of the poor economic prowess of that region.

It's such a silly, kneejerk sort of reaction to point to overpopulation when we can actually point to a select group of people and corporations who are decimating this planet.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Literally 100 companies are responsible for 71% of global emissions.

Can the number be put in a wider perspective? Are they increasing or reducing it? Would it be better or worse if decentralized? etc.

One statistic is not a good view into an issue.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:23 pm

EastKekistan wrote:

We need electric cars.

But what say you NSG?

Damn. We need a solution.

Your friend is ready to help:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8PwllA-CyJU

Yes look at the date of that and see why we are screwed. Not because we lack the solution, but because we refuse it.
Maybe we should stop spurning our friend’s help.
Last edited by Novus America on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:48 pm

80% of the lower 48 states was hit by a deadly heat wave and 800000 people in Michigan including myself lost power for days as a result. God it's hot here
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:05 pm

Nakena wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:
People mocked my self sufficiency plans, we'll see how well they're doing when everything collapses :p

And thus the Washington Resistance Army shall rise its banners across the barren wastelands.

Ave, true to Caesar.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General