NATION

PASSWORD

Is BTS overrated?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Is BTS Overrated?

Yes, they absolutely are. I can't stand them!
28%
I'm a contrarian, so yeah.
14%
Maybe. I don't listen to them or KPop.
42%
No they aren't. They're absolutely fantastic!
16%

Total votes : 57

Abercontin-Jereaux
Spokesperson

Founded: May 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Is BTS overrated?

Postby Abercontin-Jereaux » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:53 am

I don't know if this goes into General or Arts and Fiction, but I think this belongs to General. Move if you like.

You have heard of BTS at least once right? Maybe you've heard their music while window-shopping. Maybe the crazy, stupid ARMY next door was playing it loudly last night while you were studying for tomorrow's test. All in all, if you haven't heard of them before, then you've probably been living under a rock or something.
I myself am an ARMY, but I won't go too crazy as to like, you know, play it on all the loudspeakers you have in your house. Especially not when you probably can't even do that. These days, though, the BTS haters group is rising. And they, from what I know, are primarily boys. They give excuses such as:

They act feminine.

They are overrated.

Their music is ear rape.

Well, even my brother(Third Asopia) likes BTS. So, I can't see the reason why BTS sucks. However, I also didn't say liking or (celebrity-)loving BTS is a crime. If you don't like BTS, just ignore it. You don't have to ,like, discriminate(wrong word maybe). However, I just want to know if NSG thinks that BTS is overrated. And don't spam the thread, oh please, with BTS hate comments.
Last edited by Abercontin-Jereaux on Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightcore! UWU
Sig is not ready yet, but will come out soon.
"Afraid of me?" -Kyro, Subzero

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:54 am

Had to google... okay they're k-pop, I don't know or care about that.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:03 am

I listened to a few of their songs before, so... Liking them by itself is not a problem and I'm fine with that.

With that said, the ARMY or whatever the fanclubs are (I think there are more than one/many sub fanbases?), they tend to go a little too far with that. I can't really verify whether or not it's true, but some of them went as far as to "you must have this degree of a fair skin", or some degree of beauty that seems you worthy in their eyes.

I just think that's a little out of order. Granted, I know there are level-headed fans like you that enjoys the music for what it is, I'm down with that. Heck, my cousins love them too! But... Stay away from the crazier fans.

In short... I would say it's just the trend and popularity, and I neither think they're under nor over rated.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:04 am

I've heard about them, and maybe, have listened to their song(s) as well, given that many of my friends (primarily girls) in high school like the band.
However, I can't say if they are overrated or not. I'm not especially a fan of K-pop music, so I have no opinion.

East Ustya
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby East Ustya » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:06 am

''They act feminine.''

Not a bad thing. :hug:
Headlines:
2:(Neo)Paganism is decreasing in popularity after misandric comments made by their leading high priestess.

On the market for a new region.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:06 am

This goes into A&F.

And as someone who listens to a lot of music from Europe and Asia, yeah, totally. I heard some of their songs and... they're ok, catchy, and inoffensive. Don't get the popularity though, they look ok and seem nice, but that's about it. Good on them for supporting multiple charities and using their money to support human rights and aid groups.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Walkerfort
Envoy

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Walkerfort » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:07 am

In my opinion, yes

as a contrarian, heavy metal loving and overall just an introvert. yeah... BTS is basically.... overrated in my opinion
Well... It's been a while.

thinking of reforming my nation

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:10 am

had to google, its a k pop band, i like exactly one k pop song, have no real opinion on them as i dont know them.

Acting feminine though is not a bad thing.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

East Ustya
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby East Ustya » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:11 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:had to google, its a k pop band, i like exactly one k pop song, have no real opinion on them as i dont know them.

Acting feminine though is not a bad thing.

Its a great thing, I LOVE feminine guys. ^^
Headlines:
2:(Neo)Paganism is decreasing in popularity after misandric comments made by their leading high priestess.

On the market for a new region.

Temporarrium
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Temporarrium » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:12 am

I'm wondering how they got commercially successful in the west.
They have a US no. 1 album, right?
I'm not into urban pop stuff.
T E M P O R A R R I U M
Time never stops. Time bites.
Do not expect a prompt reply.

Abercontin-Jereaux
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Abercontin-Jereaux » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 am

Okay. I see that a lotsome of you like feminine guys, but I'm 15, so the boys in my class are like, "Ooh. They act gay. They are gay." That sort.
Walkerfort wrote:In my opinion, yes

as a contrarian, heavy metal loving and overall just an introvert. yeah... BTS is basically.... overrated in my opinion

I'm sure just because you love heavy metal doesn't mean you say their overrated.
Nightcore! UWU

Abercontin-Jereaux
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Abercontin-Jereaux » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 am

Temporarrium wrote:I'm wondering how they got commercially successful in the west.
Abercontin-Jereaux wrote:Okay. I see that a lotsome of you like feminine guys, but I'm 15, so the boys in my class are like, "Ooh. They act gay. They are gay." That sort.

I'm sure just because you love heavy metal doesn't mean you say their overrated.

I think it's because of DNA.
Nightcore! UWU

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:15 am

Korean entertainment is specifically government sponsored to drive appreciation of South Korea, hence Gangnam Style, the Wonder Girls among others and then in Asia, at least, a good amount of soap operas people watch fanatically.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Temporarrium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Temporarrium » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:16 am

Bombadil wrote:Korean entertainment is specifically government sponsored to drive appreciation of South Korea, hence Gangnam Style, the Wonder Girls among others and then in Asia, at least, a good amount of soap operas people watch fanatically.

Wasn't the video the reason why Gangnam Style was popular?
T E M P O R A R R I U M

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:17 am

I can't stand k-pop so at the risk of sounding insufferable I think the entire genre is overrated.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Temporarrium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Temporarrium » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:18 am

Highever wrote:I can't stand k-pop so at the risk of sounding insufferable I think the entire genre is overrated.

It's basically mainstream pop sung in Korean, right?
Abercontin-Jereaux wrote:
Temporarrium wrote:I'm wondering how they got commercially successful in the west.
Abercontin-Jereaux wrote:Okay. I see that a lotsome of you like feminine guys, but I'm 15, so the boys in my class are like, "Ooh. They act gay. They are gay." That sort.

I think it's because of DNA.

DNA? What do you mean?
I appreciate how you don't use loudspeakers several times.
Last edited by Temporarrium on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
T E M P O R A R R I U M

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:21 am

Temporarrium wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Korean entertainment is specifically government sponsored to drive appreciation of South Korea, hence Gangnam Style, the Wonder Girls among others and then in Asia, at least, a good amount of soap operas people watch fanatically.

Yeah, I guess it's because of the video as well.

Temporarrium wrote:
Highever wrote:I can't stand k-pop so at the risk of sounding insufferable I think the entire genre is overrated.

I think K-pop actually means anything that's considered as Korean pop culture, so it's not just limited to the musics.

Walkerfort
Envoy

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Walkerfort » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 am

if that doesn't really satisfy you, Since BTS is popular and has high praises, me as a contrarian dislike it and thinks it's overrated, also it's because most K-pop is a simple meh or dislike.

PSY is the only K pop I atleast like maybe NK songs aswell

another reason is the fans are beyond toxic, say something about one of their idols and they will all try and annihilate you, sure not all fans are bad but there's the toxic ones that just... scare me...
Well... It's been a while.

thinking of reforming my nation

Abercontin-Jereaux
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Abercontin-Jereaux » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:25 am

Walkerfort wrote:if that doesn't really satisfy you, Since BTS is popular and has high praises, me as a contrarian dislike it and thinks it's overrated, also it's because most K-pop is a simple meh or dislike.

PSY is the only K pop I atleast like maybe NK songs aswell

another reason is the fans are beyond toxic, say something about one of their idols and they will all try and annihilate you, sure not all fans are bad but there's the toxic ones that just... scare me...

Okay...
Nightcore! UWU

Temporarrium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Temporarrium » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:25 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Temporarrium wrote:Wasn't the video the reason why Gangnam Style was popular?

Yeah, I guess it's because of the video as well.

Temporarrium wrote:It's basically mainstream pop sung in Korean, right?

I think K-pop actually means anything that's considered as Korean pop culture, so it's not just limited to the musics.

Really? Maybe you're talking about K-wave or hallyu?
Does that mean J-pop refers to all Japanese pop culture?
T E M P O R A R R I U M

Abercontin-Jereaux
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Abercontin-Jereaux » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:26 am

Temporarrium wrote:Does that mean J-pop refers to all Japanese pop culture?

Technically
Nightcore! UWU

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:31 am

Temporarrium wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:Yeah, I guess it's because of the video as well.

Really? Maybe you're talking about K-wave or hallyu?

Upon re-checking wikipedia, yer right. K-pop is a genre of Korean pop music.
My bad, it seems that I'm equating the products of Korean pop culture as 'K-pop'.

Temporarrium
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Temporarrium » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:31 am

Abercontin-Jereaux wrote:
Temporarrium wrote:Does that mean J-pop refers to all Japanese pop culture?

Technically

Hmmm, I see. I guess I misused the terms.

K-pop isn't really that new in where I live; first time I heard a Korean pop song on the radio was back in the mid-2000s.
Then acts like The Wonder Girls and 2NE1 appeared around 2009...

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Temporarrium wrote:Really? Maybe you're talking about K-wave or hallyu?

Upon re-checking wikipedia, yer right. K-pop is a genre of Korean pop music.
My bad, it seems that I'm equating the products of Korean pop culture as 'K-pop'.

Really appreciate the confirmation. Thanks. :)
Last edited by Temporarrium on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
T E M P O R A R R I U M

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:42 am

Temporarrium wrote:

Abercontin-Jereaux wrote:I think it's because of DNA.

DNA? What do you mean?
I appreciate how you don't use loudspeakers several times.

Its not necessarily American pop music just translated into Korean, no. Alot of them are basically if American 90s boybands refused to die out.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:43 am

Temporarrium wrote:

The rise of BTS is linked to explicit strategies on the part of the South Korean government. The role of Hallyu in economic policy was first mentioned in 2001 in an address by South Korean President Kim Dae-jung, who termed it a “chimney-less industry” and an engine of economic development that creates high added value with relatively little investment of resources compared to industrial development. During the administration of President Roh Moo-hyun (2003-2007), the declared prime national objective was to become one of “the world’s top five content powers in 2010” and the Korea Creative Content Agency was founded in 2009 to promote and support the production of Korean popular culture content. The big South Korean businesses (chaebol), which have close ties to the government, began to turn their attention to media and the creative industries.

https://thediplomat.com/2019/03/bts-and ... oft-power/
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General