NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:35 pm

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I just hope a startup will come along and disrupt the operating system market with a new OS.

You mean like companies have been trying to do constantly for twenty years? Barring some kind of massive event, Microsoft is going to control the market for the foreseeable future.

Use a SeaSonic PSU. >:(
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I just hope a startup will come along and disrupt the operating system market with a new OS.

You mean like companies have been trying to do constantly for twenty years? Barring some kind of massive event, Microsoft is going to control the market for the foreseeable future.

That's an upcycle from my current PC.

The only "New" parts in that build are the CPU, motherboard and memory. Which may cause problems with Windows 10 since I cheaper out and brought an OEM copy of Win7 when I built it.
Last edited by Vassenor on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:You mean like companies have been trying to do constantly for twenty years? Barring some kind of massive event, Microsoft is going to control the market for the foreseeable future.

The only "New" parts in that build are the CPU, motherboard and memory. Which may cause problems with Windows 10 since I cheaper out and brought an OEM copy of Win7 when I built it.

Ah, alright. I'd recommend switching to a SeaSonic unit (or at least a new PSU of some sort) sometime soon, however - although the PSU is an underappreciated part of builds, it's crucial to pick a strong one, and SeaSonic is basically the best in the biz for that, particularly at the price points provided by its bargain 400-750W units. The Corsair CX500M is mediocre at best and I wouldn't want to put it under large loads, which you might be doing.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:04 pm

New CPU time.... I have a Ryzen 9 3900X on the way.
Such heroic nonsense!

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:15 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Ah, alright. I'd recommend switching to a SeaSonic unit (or at least a new PSU of some sort) sometime soon, however - although the PSU is an underappreciated part of builds, it's crucial to pick a strong one, and SeaSonic is basically the best in the biz for that, particularly at the price points provided by its bargain 400-750W units. The Corsair CX500M is mediocre at best and I wouldn't want to put it under large loads, which you might be doing.

I mean the calculator on the parts list says I'm barely even half-loading it.

I've also been advised to swap the motherboard for something less liable to cook itself.
Last edited by Vassenor on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:33 am

Microsoft apparently wants me to have at least 500 employees before they can license the Enterprise edition. If Windows 10 Pro for Workstations allowed me to fully disable telemetry and consumer experiences, then I would have already have it installed last year.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:26 am

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:15 am

I'd recommend adding something like this or at least this as a boot drive. And use the 4TB as a storage drive. You'll see a massive performance difference running primarily off the SSD. That 5400RPM HDD as a boot drive is going to hold you back abit.
Such heroic nonsense!

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:59 am

Tekania wrote:

I'd recommend adding something like this or at least this as a boot drive. And use the 4TB as a storage drive. You'll see a massive performance difference running primarily off the SSD. That 5400RPM HDD as a boot drive is going to hold you back abit.

Yeah, I was always planning to put something in the M2 slot but I wasn't sure what I needed for a Win10 booter.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:09 am

Vassenor wrote:
Tekania wrote:

Yeah, I was always planning to put something in the M2 slot but I wasn't sure what I needed for a Win10 booter.

Something around 500GB would be the sweet spot. Though you may want to go higher. Typically with a SSD you would want to about double what you want to expect to store on the drive. But for typical use around 500GB is where it's at, though maybe go up to 1TB. You don't want to run a SSD at near capacity as that has a negative impact on longevity. Many quality drives will have spare blocks reserved and use wear leveling. But the more spare blocks you give them the less they have to actually overwrite previously used blocks and thus the less wear the drive experiences.
Such heroic nonsense!

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:10 am

Solid State is pretty much standard as the main drive for new PCs, and we already have 1TB modules for the M2 slot.

The only thing holding me back is the annoyances of Windows 10.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 am

Did you take off the PSU specifically to shut me up about SeaSonic? :P
Tekania wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Something around 500GB would be the sweet spot. Though you may want to go higher. Typically with a SSD you would want to about double what you want to expect to store on the drive. But for typical use around 500GB is where it's at, though maybe go up to 1TB. You don't want to run a SSD at near capacity as that has a negative impact on longevity. Many quality drives will have spare blocks reserved and use wear leveling. But the more spare blocks you give them the less they have to actually overwrite previously used blocks and thus the less wear the drive experiences.

I feel like 256 GB is often adequate for SSDs so long as you ensure that most nonessential programs and data are on another large drive (for which 4TB is probably more than enough). That depends on the kinds of data Vassenor will be storing, though.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 am

Cekoviu wrote:

Tekania wrote:

I feel like 256 GB is often adequate for SSDs so long as you ensure that most nonessential programs and data are on another large drive (for which 4TB is probably more than enough). That depends on the kinds of data Vassenor will be storing, though.

No, I started over completely from scratch.

And yeah, the idea was that the SSD would just be the boot / OS drive, with the 4TB drive for holding all my documents, games and other materials.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:47 am

Vassenor wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Did you take off the PSU specifically to shut me up about SeaSonic? :P

And yeah, the idea was that the SSD would just be the boot / OS drive, with the 4TB drive for holding all my documents, games and other materials.

Do be careful with that, though. I told myself "the SSD will just store the OS" and then ended up needing more space than my dinky old 160 GB laptop HDD offered, so I put a bunch of stuff other than the OS on it.
I'm starting to run out of space and the 160 gig is failing, so I've been storing dormant data on some PATA-era hard drives in my $30 self-refurbished 2001 Dell (the only option I can afford).

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Do be careful with that, though. I told myself "the SSD will just store the OS" and then ended up needing more space than my dinky old 160 GB laptop HDD offered, so I put a bunch of stuff other than the OS on it.
I'm starting to run out of space and the 160 gig is failing, so I've been storing dormant data on some PATA-era hard drives in my $30 self-refurbished 2001 Dell (the only option I can afford).

At the moment I can fit just about everything sans most of my Steam Library (most of which I never really played anyway) onto a 1TB drive, so...
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:48 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

Tekania wrote:

It can be, but many people end up operating at 90%+ capacity on that within a short period of time and that is not very favorable for SSDs longevity. Yeah 4TB is more than enough for typical storage drive. Generally 512GB. Additionally in current prices the price per GB of a 256GB SSD is actually higher than the price per GB on a comparable tech 512GB. The 512GB is basically the current sweet spot price wise as you are getting less capacity per unit of currency above or below that point. So it's not just the wear potentials and stuff that is the benefit. It gives you more breathing room a bit more future proofing and costs you less per GB. The benefits of going 512GB over tge 256GB far outweights the sole negative (which is higher cost of the specific part). You're basically only saving 30-40 bucks picking a 256GB for a build.

And if they did want to save that ~30bucks I'd recommend they still spend it and swap out their 8GB RAM kit for a 16GB RAM kit.
Such heroic nonsense!

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:41 pm

In my opinion, the SSD should not be your only storage device. Backups aside, it is easy to re-target something like My Documents to a mechanical drive, where is would have limited effect on OS boot times.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:25 am

Minoa wrote:In my opinion, the SSD should not be your only storage device. Backups aside, it is easy to re-target something like My Documents to a mechanical drive, where is would have limited effect on OS boot times.

Eh, you can pretty much store anything on the SSD. About the only concern would be storing stuff that is frequently overwritten as that would have negative impact on longevity, and even then there are use-cases where even that is optimal
Such heroic nonsense!

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:28 am

Guys, did y’all hear they’re ending support for Windows 10 in 2025? What’s going to happen then, since Microsoft already said that 10 will be the last new OS? Will Windows just end?
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 am

Pacomia wrote:Guys, did y’all hear they’re ending support for Windows 10 in 2025? What’s going to happen then, since Microsoft already said that 10 will be the last new OS? Will Windows just end?

This has been public knowledge for four years, but it's not entirely clear what Microsoft plans to do about it. They may rebrand it as "Windows", make a new version and contradict previous knowledge, or potentially make a new OS line altogether (least likely option).

Supreme Pwnage
Attaché

Founded: Oct 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Supreme Pwnage » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Pacomia wrote:Guys, did y’all hear they’re ending support for Windows 10 in 2025? What’s going to happen then, since Microsoft already said that 10 will be the last new OS? Will Windows just end?

Hopefully yes but probably no. A massive amount of Microsoft's profit comes from OEM deals. What I am predicting will happen is that Micro$oft will finally switch to the Linux kernel instead of continuing to beat the dead horse that is the Windows kernel (the current Windows kernel is a 64-bit hack of a 32-bit hack of a 16-bit hack). The decision to switch to the Linux kernel is inevitable as it will save them massive loads of money because the kernel maintainers work for free. However, to guarantee quality Microsoft is going to keep some people around to pollute the Linux kernel, so the Linux kernel will possibly be forked and free software fanatics such as myself will either switch to that or the GNU Hurd kernel. I'm guessing 2025 is when Micro$oft will finally finish porting their spyware and bloatware to Linux.
Resurrected my nation after 7 years of inactivity, all my old friends are in the boneyard. I'm truly alone in the world.
Founder of the region Unironic C Programmers
This nation is just my attempt to create the absolutely most oppressive, armed, militaristic nation possible. It does not in any way line up with my actual political beliefs
I am supporting Tulsi Gabbard unless the LP can conjure up a candidate with a pulse
The NSA should be abolished
Anti-war
We shouldn't impeach Trump (I do NOT want Mike Pence to be president)
The only restrictions on 2A should be nukes and biological weapons
Open borders for the US
Legalize ALL drugs
Legalize prostitution
End corn subsidies
Abolish income tax
A fetus is a human and its rights should be protected
Investigate 9/11

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Supreme Pwnage wrote:

Hopefully yes but probably no. A massive amount of Microsoft's profit comes from OEM deals. What I am predicting will happen is that Micro$oft will finally switch to the Linux kernel instead of continuing to beat the dead horse that is the Windows kernel (the current Windows kernel is a 64-bit hack of a 32-bit hack of a 16-bit hack). The decision to switch to the Linux kernel is inevitable as it will save them massive loads of money because the kernel maintainers work for free. However, to guarantee quality Microsoft is going to keep some people around to pollute the Linux kernel, so the Linux kernel will possibly be forked and free software fanatics such as myself will either switch to that or the GNU Hurd kernel. I'm guessing 2025 is when Micro$oft will finally finish porting their spyware and bloatware to Linux.

Press (x) to doubt. The Linux kernel diverges so hard from Microsoft's intentions as a company that to fork it into suiting their goals would be a) more work than fixing Windows and b) fucking it up exactly as much as the NT kernel.
Microsoft will absolutely not commit suicide as a company and just give up on making operating systems, either, so as much as the Linux fanatics may want that to happen, it won't.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:48 pm

The information is not accurate. End of Support in 2025 applies specifically to Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2015. Different subversions and builds of Windows 10 have different end of service dates. Most mainline builds in use at present will already be at end of service well before then (the most recent build, 1903 of Windows 10 hits end of service on December 8, 2020 for example. The original Windows 10 release build is passed end of service already, it's ended on May 9, 2017. And later version of Enterprise LTSB/LTSC have end of service dates later than the 2025 date (LTSC 2019 hits end of service on January 9, 2029).

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from. But whoever it is clearly has no actual idea what the fuck they are talking about.

For questions about end of mainstream support and end of service dates for their specific version and build of Windows should get their information by consulting the Windows Lifecycle sheet on Microsoft. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
Last edited by Tekania on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Such heroic nonsense!

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Supreme Pwnage wrote:

The present windows Kernel started as a 32bit kernel. It has absolutely no descent what-so-ever back to a 16bit kernel. What 16bit it could do was via emulation via WoW. It was not a 32bit hack of a 16bit kernel. That would have been the Windows 9x's (Windows 95, 98 and ME) which ran a 32bit compatibility layer over top of a 16bit OS. All current Windows are descendants of the NT kernel starting with Windows NT 3.1. While NT 3.1 shares versioning numbering with Windows 3.1 the two are completely different Operating systems that only share the same GUI look. NT was primarily used for business use with the first home version Windows based on NT being Windows XP. The 64bit kernel is indeed a 64bit kernel. It is not a hack of the 32bit. The only way 32bit code can even run on 64bit windows is via emulation. This is accomplished on 64bit windows the same way 16bit was accomplished on 32bit windows... but in this case it's via WoW64 which emulated a 32bit environment to run the code just as WoW did under 32bit NT to run 16bit DOS code (assuming the code didn't need real mode access which WoW emulation can't provide).
Last edited by Tekania on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Such heroic nonsense!

Supreme Pwnage
Attaché

Founded: Oct 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Supreme Pwnage » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:52 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Supreme Pwnage wrote:Hopefully yes but probably no. A massive amount of Microsoft's profit comes from OEM deals. What I am predicting will happen is that Micro$oft will finally switch to the Linux kernel instead of continuing to beat the dead horse that is the Windows kernel (the current Windows kernel is a 64-bit hack of a 32-bit hack of a 16-bit hack). The decision to switch to the Linux kernel is inevitable as it will save them massive loads of money because the kernel maintainers work for free. However, to guarantee quality Microsoft is going to keep some people around to pollute the Linux kernel, so the Linux kernel will possibly be forked and free software fanatics such as myself will either switch to that or the GNU Hurd kernel. I'm guessing 2025 is when Micro$oft will finally finish porting their spyware and bloatware to Linux.

Press (x) to doubt. The Linux kernel diverges so hard from Microsoft's intentions as a company that to fork it into suiting their goals would be a) more work than fixing Windows and b) fucking it up exactly as much as the NT kernel.
Microsoft will absolutely not commit suicide as a company and just give up on making operating systems, either, so as much as the Linux fanatics may want that to happen, it won't.

I didn't say they would quit making operating systems, I said they would stop developing the NT kernel. In 2016, MS paid 500k to get on the Linux foundation and has consistently committed a lot of code to the kernel for years. Also, all code in the Linux kernel is required to be GPL-2 compatible, well within the bounds of what MS does as the GPL-2 is quite permissive. Also, more work than fixing Windows? Nothing short of a complete kernel rewrite a la OS X could save the pile of shit that is modern Windows.
Resurrected my nation after 7 years of inactivity, all my old friends are in the boneyard. I'm truly alone in the world.
Founder of the region Unironic C Programmers
This nation is just my attempt to create the absolutely most oppressive, armed, militaristic nation possible. It does not in any way line up with my actual political beliefs
I am supporting Tulsi Gabbard unless the LP can conjure up a candidate with a pulse
The NSA should be abolished
Anti-war
We shouldn't impeach Trump (I do NOT want Mike Pence to be president)
The only restrictions on 2A should be nukes and biological weapons
Open borders for the US
Legalize ALL drugs
Legalize prostitution
End corn subsidies
Abolish income tax
A fetus is a human and its rights should be protected
Investigate 9/11

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction