NATION

PASSWORD

Noctur Regional Sign-Up (OPEN)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Rhysforth wrote:Basic Information
Official [Full] Name of Nation: The Federation of Rhysforth
Informal name of Nation: Rhysforth
Demonym: Rhysforthian
RP Population 100 million (flexible on this number)
Landmass of nation (km2 or mi2 are both acceptable) It's along the lines of an archipelago (I'll fit on the map where necessary)
[b]Form of Government:
Mercantile Oligarchy
Political Leader(s):

Economic Information
GDP (in USD):
GDP Per Capita (in USD):
Description of Economy:

Military Information
Number of military personnel:
Number of active military personnel:
Does your nation have nuclear capability? Yes
Does your nation have ICBM capability? Yes
Does your nation have biological and/or chemical weaponry capabilities? Yes
How much of your government spending goes into the military?

More Details
Description of Culture:
Climate & Topography: Mediterranean, archipelago
Brief National History:
Description of Geopolitical Role:
What are some things your nation has succeeded in? (Strengths)
[b]What are the primary challenges facing your nation? (Weaknesses)

RP Examples
Please provide a link to a prior RP this nation participated in. (Only one is required, but if you want to give more writing examples, feel free).

[b]Account Information

Is this a puppet or a main account? Main
If this is a puppet nation, please give the main account's name here.
[b]Are you a WA nation?
Please note, if accepted, all WA nations MUST endorse the appointed WAD. Any WA nation in Noctur that fails to do so will be banjected.
Describe your moderation history.

Other Things
Additional National Information (optional):
Notes and Questions:
-I understand that this application is currently uncompleted. I will be further editing and filling it in more as the nation develops.
-My previous nation was Aazeronia. While Aazeronia was a major country within Noctur, I will be keeping it in retirement.

[hr]
By accepting this application, you agree to the terms listed within the Charter. Furthermore, WA nations accepted into Noctur agree to endorse the appointed WAD at all times.

Aaz, as I already said in TG, former Nocturians in high-standing such as yourself do not need to worry about getting denied entry into Noctur. As one of the original "Big Five", you (and Tuthina) are always welcome barring some extreme sin against nature.

I highly doubt anyone will contest my administrative automatic acceptance of this app. Password sent.
Someone cares? Okay then. Economic Left/Right: -2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

INFP-T personality, quite heavy on the I,P, and T.

Welskerland
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 06, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Welskerland » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:32 am

Hello! I'm interested in joining and I think I meet most of the requirements except for the MT part. Welskerland is PMT with a post-cyberpunk society. That isn't a deal breaker, is it?
Embassy Program

This nation does reflect my IRL views unless something is more interesting to differ from what I believe otherwise. For example, Welskerland is a constitutional monarchy, while I prefer a republic IRL.

Higgins and Brown
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Higgins and Brown » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:45 am

I don't know what a post-cyberpunk society is for I am a post-cyberpunk pleb. Fill out the application and describe said society, and we will judge on it most seriously, and with much moustache tugging.

Segland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Segland » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:12 am

Welskerland wrote:Hello! I'm interested in joining and I think I meet most of the requirements except for the MT part. Welskerland is PMT with a post-cyberpunk society. That isn't a deal breaker, is it?

Like Higgs said, we could answer your question more fully if you filled out an application. I believe some nations in Noctur have tech that skirts the edges of PMT, so that's not necessarily a deal breaker. I do confess, however, that I'm not entirely sure what post-cyberpunk is -- perhaps you could address that in your app.
The Seglandic Republic | Segelcynn Gemænewela | 色各兰共和国
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere." - Seamus Heaney

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Re: Noctur Regional Sign-Up

Postby Yohannes » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi! I have messaged Radiatia (he is a good friend of my boyfriend in real life/we are all from the same country), but feel like it would be proper for me to post here. Thank you!

Basic Information
Official [Full] Name of Nation: The Realm of Yohannes
Informal name of Nation: Yohannes
Demonym: Yohannesian
RP Population 379 million
Landmass of nation: 7,592,010 km2
Form of Government: In accordance with the [ Fifth Amendment ], elective monarchy, parliamentary democracy.
    The head of state is the President of the Confederation, as quoted under the constitution, with the official title ‘Yohannesian Emperor’. The head of state of each of the nineteen countries, heading the electoral college, must vote for an emperor every eight years. The legislature of each of the nineteen countries must send the party with the biggest share of seats to represent their country in parliament.

The people vote for a head of government to represent Yohannes overseas every four years. In Yohannes, she or he has been informally called the ‘first minister’ since the late 19th century. The head of government is the Chancellor of the Confederation, as quoted under the constitution. The first minister creates laws, the electoral college tables laws, and the emperor approves laws. The respective government ministries can then execute these laws.
Political Leader(s): Um, a wee bit too long to describe here; however, this thread would hopefully showcase them well: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=422765

Economic Information
GDP (in USD): $15.92 trillion
GDP Per Capita (in USD): $41,997
Description of Economy: Again, a wee bit too long to describe here; [ viewtopic.php?p=33696500#p33696500 ] [ viewtopic.php?p=33747061#p33747061 ] [ viewtopic.php?p=32579841#p32579841 ]

Military Information
Number of military personnel: Don't really believe this is important to proper story-telling
Number of active military personnel: Don't really believe this is important to proper story-telling
Does your nation have nuclear capability? We don't use them without permission from those we write with; so in effect, no
Does your nation have ICBM capability? Um same as above
Does your nation have biological and/or chemical weaponry capabilities? Um same as above
How much of your government spending goes into the military? 0.8% of GDP

More Details
Description of Culture: viewtopic.php?p=34042809#p34042809
Climate & Topography: Similar to real life Austria
Brief National History: [ viewtopic.php?p=34058611#p34058611 ] and then [ viewtopic.php?p=32105798#p32105798 ]; (i) establishment of indigenous (first people) society, (ii) arrival of Germanic themed settlers, (iii) gradual displacement of indigenous society, (iv) settler society matures, (v) incoming threats from outside (more developed technologically) forces (e.g. colonial trading companies, imperial nations), (vi) gradual modernisation/adoption of outside technology, (vii) equal status achieved
Description of Geopolitical Role: Peaceful, mostly
What are some things your nation has succeeded in? Adapting to being inferior/lower than other nations; gradually catching up to attain equal status
[b]What are the primary challenges facing your nation?
Lack of natural resources

RP Examples
viewtopic.php?p=34095637#p34095637
viewtopic.php?p=32489632#p32489632 (BF said to link this one for Al**; said Al** will get the reference)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=435776

Account Information
Is this a puppet or a main account? Main account!
Are you a WA nation? Yes!

By accepting this application, you agree to the terms listed within the Charter. Furthermore, WA nations accepted into Noctur agree to endorse the appointed WAD at all times.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Higgins and Brown
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Higgins and Brown » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:08 am

Yohannes wrote:

Hi! I have messaged Radiatia (he is a good friend of my boyfriend in real life/we are all from the same country), but feel like it would be proper for me to post here. Thank you!

Basic Information
Official [Full] Name of Nation: The Realm of Yohannes
Informal name of Nation: Yohannes
Demonym: Yohannesian
RP Population 379 million
Landmass of nation: 7,592,010 km2
Form of Government: In accordance with the [ Fifth Amendment ], elective monarchy, parliamentary democracy.
    The head of state is the President of the Confederation, as quoted under the constitution, with the official title ‘Yohannesian Emperor’. The head of state of each of the nineteen countries, heading the electoral college, must vote for an emperor every eight years. The legislature of each of the nineteen countries must send the party with the biggest share of seats to represent their country in parliament.

The people vote for a head of government to represent Yohannes overseas every four years. In Yohannes, she or he has been informally called the ‘first minister’ since the late 19th century. The head of government is the Chancellor of the Confederation, as quoted under the constitution. The first minister creates laws, the electoral college tables laws, and the emperor approves laws. The respective government ministries can then execute these laws.
Political Leader(s): Um, a wee bit too long to describe here; however, this thread would hopefully showcase them well: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=422765

Economic Information
GDP (in USD): $15.92 trillion
GDP Per Capita (in USD): $41,997
Description of Economy: Again, a wee bit too long to describe here; [ viewtopic.php?p=33696500#p33696500 ] [ viewtopic.php?p=33747061#p33747061 ] [ viewtopic.php?p=32579841#p32579841 ]

Military Information
Number of military personnel: Don't really believe this is important to proper story-telling
Number of active military personnel: Don't really believe this is important to proper story-telling
Does your nation have nuclear capability? We don't use them without permission from those we write with; so in effect, no
Does your nation have ICBM capability? Um same as above
Does your nation have biological and/or chemical weaponry capabilities? Um same as above
How much of your government spending goes into the military? 0.8% of GDP

More Details
Description of Culture: viewtopic.php?p=34042809#p34042809
Climate & Topography: Similar to real life Austria
Brief National History: [ viewtopic.php?p=34058611#p34058611 ] and then [ viewtopic.php?p=32105798#p32105798 ]; (i) establishment of indigenous (first people) society, (ii) arrival of Germanic themed settlers, (iii) gradual displacement of indigenous society, (iv) settler society matures, (v) incoming threats from outside (more developed technologically) forces (e.g. colonial trading companies, imperial nations), (vi) gradual modernisation/adoption of outside technology, (vii) equal status achieved
Description of Geopolitical Role: Peaceful, mostly
What are some things your nation has succeeded in? Adapting to being inferior/lower than other nations; gradually catching up to attain equal status
[b]What are the primary challenges facing your nation?
Lack of natural resources

RP Examples
viewtopic.php?p=34095637#p34095637
viewtopic.php?p=32489632#p32489632 (BF said to link this one for Al**; said Al** will get the reference)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=435776

Account Information
Is this a puppet or a main account? Main account!
Are you a WA nation? Yes!

I approve. Will be asking you for a map, etc., when/if you are accepted by broad consensus. I know The Arthurian Isles and Radiatia also approve. Will wait for others to comment.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Noctur in 2020

Postby Yohannes » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Noctur in 2020

I wanted to write this on our Facebook group page for a wee while now, but then realised it'd be more open and transparent for us to discuss this here (we can keep the more private things by telegram or on Facebook page). It seems that it's well-established by now that most of us are fans of economic, political and cultural storytelling. They have almost always been the main bread and butter of our writings since 2017 (Yes, I've checked everyone's forum posting history including myself Image )

I say we hold an open vote on keeping this identity of our region, but slowly reforming things so that we can open the region to new members. I'm willing to serve as World Assembly delegate, or I'd be more than happy to help our current WA Delegate (and Radiatia and the regional founder) to (very) slowly work things out so that Noctur can once again be opened to new members. That said, by "new members," I'm talking about individuals/casual worldbuilders/casual writers/storytellers who love to do what we love to do: Economic, political and cultural storytelling/writing. And "no internet drama" and "keep it low-key casual/humble" will also be the other two requirements. That way, we can keep the original/historical identity of this region intact Image

What does everyone think of that?
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:33 pm

Yohannes wrote:

Noctur in 2020

I wanted to write this on our Facebook group page for a wee while now, but then realised it'd be more open and transparent for us to discuss this here (we can keep the more private things by telegram or on Facebook page). It seems that it's well-established by now that most of us are fans of economic, political and cultural storytelling. They have almost always been the main bread and butter of our writings since 2017 (Yes, I've checked everyone's forum posting history including myself (Image) )

I say we hold an open vote on keeping this identity of our region, but slowly reforming things so that we can open the region to new members. I'm willing to serve as World Assembly delegate, or I'd be more than happy to help our current WA Delegate (and Radiatia and the regional founder) to (very) slowly work things out so that Noctur can once again be opened to new members. That said, by "new members," I'm talking about individuals/casual worldbuilders/casual writers/storytellers who love to do what we love to do: Economic, political and cultural storytelling/writing. And "no internet drama" and "keep it low-key casual/humble" will also be the other two requirements. That way, we can keep the original/historical identity of this region intact (Image)

What does everyone think of that?

Probably would have been better to have this conversation on the RMB (although I'm glad it wasn't on the Facebook page given that I don't have Facebook), but broadly speaking I support what you're saying.

The reason that Noctur has declined is very simple: Most key members have demanding personal lives outside of NS, including myself. Though I do lurk on the forums a lot, I'm lucky if I have one day every two weeks to spare for writing. As opposed to back in the glory days when I would sometimes spend up to 12 hours a day writing stuff for NS.

That's the problem with being 30 as opposed to 21 - and many of the original cast are now aged in their late 20s/early 30s with all the responsibilities that entails. When we first started most were late teens/early twenties and had much more time on our hands.

I'd be interested to hear what others think, but for what it's worth I'm personally in favour of opening things up a bit, and letting in some new, fresh players.
Last edited by Radiatia on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Re: Noctur in 2020

Postby Yohannes » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Radiatia wrote:The reason that Noctur has declined is very simple: Most key members have demanding personal lives outside of NS, including myself. Though I do lurk on the forums a lot, I'm lucky if I have one day every two weeks to spare for writing.

Yes. We're also facing the same problem. I can only post while working or writing something, baking/cooking, etc.

Radiatia wrote:As opposed to back in the glory days when I would sometimes spend up to 12 hours a day writing stuff for NS.

Yes. 6 hours was the record for Yohannes. :p

Radiatia wrote:That's the problem with being 30 as opposed to 21 - and many of the original cast are now aged in their late 20s/early 30s with all the responsibilities that entails.

Yes, same here, and I agree.

Radiatia wrote:I'd be interested to hear what others think, but for what it's worth I'm personally in favour of opening things up a bit, and letting in some new, fresh players.

OK, let's wait for the others to reply aha. My plan on the eventual reopening is as follows:

We wait until late 2019 (October, November) to reopen.

In the meantime, we attempt to define what we're looking for in a new member to our close-knit, casual community. We know we focus mainly in realistic but casual (can be goofy, non-serious) politics, economics and other non-military things. We are also down to earth. We are also well aware (e.g. we know an obvious comedy RP nation when we see one, avoid NationStates rule-breaking behaviour, etc.)

We emphasise that we are not an exclusively closed-world region, but that we are a flexible region. That is, some members can choose to acknowledge only closed-world Noctur canon materials, while other members can choose to post freely in "open NationStates" threads by other players and acknowledge things outside Noctur for their canon. This is the reason (i.e. you and I posting in the "open NS world" threads in Factbooks and National Information, NationStates, etc.) we've been able to prevent internal decay, although we're such a small region now.

I have a feeling you will disagree with this one Al**, but I personally prefer main nation joining instead of alternate accounts. I have seen certain well-known RPers having multiple RP nations in some RP regions, and honestly it feels like OOC imperialism. They are there with their alternate accounts as if saying, "Look, this region is not important enough for my main account." No matter what people say it is OOC imperialism and it shows the region is not good enough for them. If it's not good enough for their main accounts, why should I join?

I vote we disallow obvious alternate accounts, unless they are already close friends with other players in Noctur, and they don't treat the region like a second class region. However, if we are going to throw away the password and be an open NationStates region without password, we can of course throw this reservation aside.

Absolutely no arrogant armchair military strategist/generals (and fictional economists and wannabe politicians too). We want writers who can write at least half decently and can write short paragraphs and English sentences that flow like storytelling, not ORBAT obsessed generals. For instance, I'd rather we have someone who doesn't know much about anything (i.e. a young school student) rather than an experienced NS player who write the typical 20-year-old military things all day but doesn't know how to write stories in English. [ Edit: This applies to non-military wannabe politicians and fictional economists too. While I respect multiple ways of roleplaying on NationStates, it'd be best not to have theory-obsessed arrogant players who don't know how to write basic English stories in this region ]
Last edited by Yohannes on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:11 pm

Yohannes wrote:
Radiatia wrote:The reason that Noctur has declined is very simple: Most key members have demanding personal lives outside of NS, including myself. Though I do lurk on the forums a lot, I'm lucky if I have one day every two weeks to spare for writing.

Yes. We're also facing the same problem. I can only post while working or writing something, baking/cooking, etc.

Radiatia wrote:As opposed to back in the glory days when I would sometimes spend up to 12 hours a day writing stuff for NS.

Yes. 6 hours was the record for Yohannes. :p

Radiatia wrote:That's the problem with being 30 as opposed to 21 - and many of the original cast are now aged in their late 20s/early 30s with all the responsibilities that entails.

Yes, same here, and I agree.

Radiatia wrote:I'd be interested to hear what others think, but for what it's worth I'm personally in favour of opening things up a bit, and letting in some new, fresh players.

OK, let's wait for the others to reply aha. My plan on the eventual reopening is as follows:

We wait until late 2019 (October, November) to reopen.

In the meantime, we attempt to define what we're looking for in a new member to our close-knit, casual community. We know we focus mainly in realistic but casual (can be goofy, non-serious) politics, economics and other non-military things. We are also down to earth. We are also well aware (e.g. we know an obvious comedy RP nation when we see one, avoid NationStates rule-breaking behaviour, etc.)

We emphasise that we are not an exclusively closed-world region, but that we are a flexible region. That is, some members can choose to acknowledge only closed-world Noctur canon materials, while other members can choose to post freely in "open NationStates" threads by other players and acknowledge things outside Noctur for their canon. This is the reason (i.e. you and I posting in the "open NS world" threads in Factbooks and National Information, NationStates, etc.) we've been able to prevent internal decay, although we're such a small region now.

I have a feeling you will disagree with this one Al**, but I personally prefer main nation joining instead of alternate accounts. I have seen certain well-known RPers having multiple RP nations in some RP regions, and honestly it feels like OOC imperialism. They are there with their alternate accounts as if saying, "Look, this region is not important enough for my main account." No matter what people say it is OOC imperialism and it shows the region is not good enough for them. If it's not good enough for their main accounts, why should I join?

I vote we disallow obvious alternate accounts, unless they are already close friends with other players in Noctur, and they don't treat the region like a second class region. However, if we are going to throw away the password and be an open NationStates region without password, we can of course throw this reservation aside.

Absolutely no arrogant armchair military strategist/generals (and fictional economists and wannabe politicians too). We want writers who can write at least half decently and can write short paragraphs and English sentences that flow like storytelling, not ORBAT obsessed generals. For instance, I'd rather we have someone who doesn't know much about anything (i.e. a young school student) rather than an experienced NS player who write the typical 20-year-old military things all day but doesn't know how to write stories in English. [ Edit: This applies to non-military wannabe politicians and fictional economists too. While I respect multiple ways of roleplaying on NationStates, it'd be best not to have theory-obsessed arrogant players who don't know how to write basic English stories in this region ]

I don't disagree with anything you've said (although the fifth point might arguably preclude me from being a member of the region given my former real life position). Noctur was always designed to be an "intermediate" level region, so we've historically been happy to develop up and comers rather than listen to people who have been on NS since 2002 grizzle and groan.

I will say again though - RMB is a far better place for this conversation rather than using a very old thread which is marked "OPEN" despite being closed.

One related point that I'll make is that in the past when we've been in this position I've offered multiple times to refound Noctur myself (makes sense given I was the original founder). The reason being, even though I'm hardly active on here, I do log in at least every couple of days to stop my nation going inactive. Recently we had a long issue where the current founder disappeared, leaving us pretty vulnerable. That's another aspect I'd like to see addressed.

(Granted if we do that we lose some awesome RMB stuff, but who really goes back and reads that oh wait I do.)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information