NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Today

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:49 am

I still think power20 sounds like a lottery game.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Sancta Romana Ecclesia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sancta Romana Ecclesia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:12 am

The Church of Satan wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:influence need not be used towards productive or good IC ends to be good.

I believe this would be a correct assumption. Something like Time magazine's Person of the Year.

I mean, you are not wrong in principle but... looks at Time magazine's Man of 1938
Paulus Asteorra

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:20 am

Sancta Romana Ecclesia wrote:
The Church of Satan wrote:I believe this would be a correct assumption. Something like Time magazine's Person of the Year.

I mean, you are not wrong in principle but... looks at Time magazine's Man of 1938

The individual referenced did not in fact use their influence towards good ends, though I believe TIME wasn't aware of that at the time.

The Gilded Star
Envoy

Founded: Nov 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Gilded Star » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:00 am

Xoriet wrote:
Pierconium wrote:Some hot takes here.

^ Got a bit shafted by this one since the worst of the APC stuff was largely handled by Ivan and he was behind or supported some major region changes.

I tried to avoid commenting on mine overall.

Now that you mention it, I am a little surprised that Ivan didn't make the list.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Sancta Romana Ecclesia wrote:I mean, you are not wrong in principle but... looks at Time magazine's Man of 1938

The individual referenced did not in fact use their influence towards good ends, though I believe TIME wasn't aware of that at the time.

Man of the Year is the most influential; not necessarily the best.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:32 am

United Massachusetts wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:The individual referenced did not in fact use their influence towards good ends, though I believe TIME wasn't aware of that at the time.

Man of the Year is the most influential; not necessarily the best.

I'm reasonably certain TIME would have removed Hitler if they were aware of what he had/was/would do, but otherwise you're not saying anything I'm not.

Pierconium
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pierconium » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:01 am

The Gilded Star wrote:
Xoriet wrote:^ Got a bit shafted by this one since the worst of the APC stuff was largely handled by Ivan and he was behind or supported some major region changes.

Now that you mention it, I am a little surprised that Ivan didn't make the list.

While I was not only mentioning things directly related to myself, I do understand that such things happen. I’ve been retconned more times than I can remember, by both allies and enemies. Unlike some on this list, I don’t do the things I do for attention or accolades.
Last edited by Pierconium on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrant (Ret.)

Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…

NPO - EMPIRE - TRIUMVIRATE - NPD

Custadia
Attaché

Founded: May 29, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Custadia » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:26 am

Lord Dominator wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:Man of the Year is the most influential; not necessarily the best.

I'm reasonably certain TIME would have removed Hitler if they were aware of what he had/was/would do, but otherwise you're not saying anything I'm not.

I don't think TIME's man of the year is necesarrily meant as an honour; it's gone to controversial figures like Putin in recent years. It's for the most influential person, not the best. Hitler was certainly the former.

Getting off-topic, though.
Last edited by Custadia on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
AKA McChimp

Elegarth
Envoy

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Elegarth » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:21 pm

Kudos Xoriet! Shouldering that all on your own!! You are just awesome, girl!

Yes, this in tongue in cheek. And yes, she knows it is. And I bet is funny for both of us, if for no one else.

I do think Ivan should have made it into the list. But at least no one was crazy enough to put ME on it lmao :D
Elegarth, The Seeker of Power
Royal Duke of The West Pacific
Patio Emperor of The West Pacific
Former Dragon Delegate of The West Pacific

The Delegarth

The Church of Satan
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Satan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:22 am

Lord Dominator wrote:I'm reasonably certain TIME would have removed Hitler if they were aware of what he had/was/would do, but otherwise you're not saying anything I'm not.

Despite the magazine's frequent statements to the contrary, the designation is often regarded as an honor, and spoken of as an award or prize, simply based on many previous selections of admirable people.[7] However, Time magazine points out that controversial figures such as Adolf Hitler (1938), Joseph Stalin (1939 and 1942), Nikita Khrushchev (1957) and Ayatollah Khomeini (1979) have also been granted the title for their impacts.
(http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2019712_2019694_2019586,00.html

So it should be no surprise that controversial figures in NS would be on the Power20.
The Rejected Realms: Former Delegate | Former Vice Delegate | Longest Consecutively Serving Officer in TRR History - 824 Days
Free the WA gnomes!

Chanku: This isn't an election it's an assault on the eyes. | Ikania: Hear! The Gospel of... Satan. Erh...
Yuno: Not gonna yell, but CoS is one of the best delegates ever | Ever-Wandering Souls: In the liberal justice system, raiding-based offenses are considered especially heinous. In The South Pacific, the dedicated defenders who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Council on Regional Security. These are their proscriptions. DUN DUN.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:50 am

Pierconium wrote:Unlike some on this list, I don’t do the things I do for attention or accolades.

Or the applause.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:17 pm

The Church of Satan wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:I'm reasonably certain TIME would have removed Hitler if they were aware of what he had/was/would do, but otherwise you're not saying anything I'm not.

Despite the magazine's frequent statements to the contrary, the designation is often regarded as an honor, and spoken of as an award or prize, simply based on many previous selections of admirable people.[7] However, Time magazine points out that controversial figures such as Adolf Hitler (1938), Joseph Stalin (1939 and 1942), Nikita Khrushchev (1957) and Ayatollah Khomeini (1979) have also been granted the title for their impacts.
(http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2019712_2019694_2019586,00.html

So it should be no surprise that controversial figures in NS would be on the Power20.

I'm not surprised at all, not sure why there'd be implication that I would be.

Escade
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Escade » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm not sure where the tangent is going but this was a cool idea and congratulations to Xoriet and Timbro <3

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:Man of the Year is the most influential; not necessarily the best.

Nah it's all about influence. Trump was man of the year and time thinks he's Worse Then Hiltertm. They would however, have not been so glowing Hilter had they known what they were praising would soon be recognized as the the most evil ideological in history.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

N7eternia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby N7eternia » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Beautiful. I love it.

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:23 pm

Elegarth wrote:Kudos Xoriet! Shouldering that all on your own!! You are just awesome, girl!

Yes, this in tongue in cheek. And yes, she knows it is. And I bet is funny for both of us, if for no one else.

I do think Ivan should have made it into the list. But at least no one was crazy enough to put ME on it lmao :D
Probably by saying that you might find yourself on the next one.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

King HEM
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby King HEM » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:12 am

The Gilded Star wrote:
Xoriet wrote:^ Got a bit shafted by this one since the worst of the APC stuff was largely handled by Ivan and he was behind or supported some major region changes.

A little late, but I actually did argue for putting Ivan on the list. I got pushback from those who saw Xoriet as the true influence behind the throne, with Ivan just being the PR frontman.
HEM

Founder of Europeia
Former Vice Delegate of The South Pacific
Raider sympathizer, NS media guru, not relevant since 2009

Armaros
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 06, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Armaros » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:38 am

King HEM wrote:
The Gilded Star wrote:

A little late, but I actually did argue for putting Ivan on the list. I got pushback from those who saw Xoriet as the true influence behind the throne, with Ivan just being the PR frontman.

That is rather ridiculous to me, seeing as Ivan is Consul and I feel like Ivan’s influence is much more visible in the NPO’s current policies and course of action, rather then Xoriet. It is peculiar not to see him on there as well as some people’s presence on the list.

That said, while I don’t personally agree with the list nor truly care, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it is amusing to read, and I thank NSToday for putting this together. :)
An average Jo.
LWU | TBH | Lazarus | TEP
My opinions are solely mine. I do not speak for regions I'm involved with unless stated otherwise.

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:18 pm

I don’t view Xoriet as the power behind the throne, but she’s unquestionably a major PR figure for the NPO, and is widely regarded as the most genuine and reliable of the Senators level. Ivan’s almost robotic demeanor, and generally humorless nature when it comes to his role in the NPO, makes him a less approachable seeming fellow. In addition, Xoriet’s overall community influence is far more present than Ivan’s, who’s generally limited to the NPO sphere.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Cormactopia Prime
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormactopia Prime » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Tim-Opolis wrote:I don’t view Xoriet as the power behind the throne, but she’s unquestionably a major PR figure for the NPO, and is widely regarded as the most genuine and reliable of the Senators level. Ivan’s almost robotic demeanor, and generally humorless nature when it comes to his role in the NPO, makes him a less approachable seeming fellow. In addition, Xoriet’s overall community influence is far more present than Ivan’s, who’s generally limited to the NPO sphere.

This, in a nutshell. Ivan is unquestionably influential within the NPO, but I wouldn't say he's that influential beyond it, for the reasons Tim articulated.
Last edited by Cormactopia Prime on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NationStates Today
Attaché

Founded: Dec 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Job Opportunity: HR Director

Postby NationStates Today » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:16 pm

NationStates Today is seeking a committed and skilled individual to become Human Resources Director.
The Individual would ideally be knowledgeable about individuals who are not welcome in the wider Gameplay community, as well as being able to motivate writers to ensure productivity.

If you are interested in this role, send us a Telegram or contact bogieoone#3478 on discord.
NSTODAY
NationStates Today is the most reliable source for unbiased, thoughtful coverage of everything from gameplay to roleplay across NationStates.

This account represents the official opinion of the Executive Board of NationStates Today. It is managed by the members of the Board, namely Chief Executive Officer (@Aga#2700), Chief Content Officer AllWildThings (@AllWildThings#9799), and Public Relations Director Quebecshire (@Cubic#1608).
Forum / Website / Discord / Apply to Join

NationStates Today
Attaché

Ex-Nation

NSToday Weekend Edition 28th July

Postby NationStates Today » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:26 am

The latest edition is available now! Featuring: "A new Era" in TSP, TSP's delegate elections, a new constitution in Hartfelden and an article from our friends at Vox Imperii

And, don't forget the last edition Featuring what was the latest NS News
We do not expect to have another Weekend edition for at least a 3 weeks as our Chief Content Officer, Llo, who also designs the issue has exams

[size=120]Check out all 7 episodes of our podcast here.
Last, but not least, the latest episode of the podcast, featuring Roavin, will be out in the coming week. We will also be releasing the first episode of a new spin off podcast which will be hosted solely by Wymondham this week.
Please direct any questions to our Board via telegram to this account, or by joining our Discord server (linked below in our signature).
NSTODAY
NationStates Today is the most reliable source for unbiased, thoughtful coverage of everything from gameplay to roleplay across NationStates.

This account represents the official opinion of the Executive Board of NationStates Today. It is managed by the members of the Board, namely Chief Executive Officer (@Aga#2700), Chief Content Officer AllWildThings (@AllWildThings#9799), and Public Relations Director Quebecshire (@Cubic#1608).

Sancta Romana Ecclesia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sancta Romana Ecclesia » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:22 pm

I made the front page news :bow:
Paulus Asteorra

NationStates Today
Attaché

Ex-Nation

New HR Director

Postby NationStates Today » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:09 pm

After a competitive application process, the Board has decided to appoint HEM as Human Resources Director, and Grater Tovakia as his Deputy.

A new weekend edition is due very soon :)
NSTODAY

King HEM
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby King HEM » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:22 pm

NationStates Today wrote:After a competitive application process, the Board has decided to appoint HEM as Human Resources Director, and Grater Tovakia as his Deputy.

A new weekend edition is due very soon :)

Wow, what a blunder!!
HEM

Founder of Europeia
Former Vice Delegate of The South Pacific
Raider sympathizer, NS media guru, not relevant since 2009

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay