NATION

PASSWORD

[submitted 7.8.19] Don't Have a Cow, Man

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[submitted 7.8.19] Don't Have a Cow, Man

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:39 am

DRAFT THREE: Vat makes sense.
TITLE:
Don't Have a Cow, Man

VALIDITY:
Not vegetarian. Has significant agriculture. National religion not Hinduism.

DESCRIPTION:
Beef! While this meat is a firm favourite on the @@DEMONYM@@ menu, it's rapidly becoming clear that cattle herds are having a disproportionate environmental impact, largely because of the methane in their burps, farts and rotting faeces.

OPTION 1
"What we have here is a precious natural resource just floating away," conjures Bovine Apparel producer @@randomname@@, wafting @@HIS@@ hands over your head. "We need to legislate that at least 90% of the methane should be recaptured for biofuel use, whether through domed poo fermenters, tubes and backpack bubbles, or closed environment capture. We don't need to give up on beef, so long as we catch a few fumes!"

OUTCOME:
battery cows have tubes plugged into their mouths and bottoms

OPTION 2
"A cow is meant to roam free and naked, under the open sky," opines leather-lover @@randomname@@. "Don't restrain them: instead, give them a diet of Asparagopsis seaweed, to disrupt the methane-producing enzymes in the cows' stomachs. Of course, we'll need to dedicate large stretches of coastal sea to feed farms, displacing the odd marina and fishery, and we'll need a barge network for low-carbon transportation. Still, this way we get cows' bottoms nice and clean." @@HE@@ stops for a moment, and licks @@HIS@@ lips thoughtfully.

OUTCOME:
cows stare longingly at the greener grass on the other side of the fence

OPTION 3
"Hmm... o-kay," says vegan @@randomname@@, carefully backing away from the previous speaker. "Look, wouldn't it be better if all flesh-munchers just cut back on beef a bit? Maybe if you just taxed the heck out of large livestock, you could divert the funds into subsidising more carbon-friendly approaches, like vat-grown beef protein, worms, beetles, and -- if you must insist on conventional meats -- poultry."

OUTCOME:
a quarterpounder with cheese is the height of ostentatious consumption

OPTION 4
"That's the problem with you, @@firstname(3)@@, you've no conviction," interrupts ecorevolutionary @@randomname@@, waving a soysteak at you menacingly. "I demand that all meat-eating should be banned! Omnivorism is genocide! Down with the Meatocracy!"

OUTCOME:
the people say nuts to meat-based proteins

OPTION 5
"Two environmentalists and two vegans? Just how biased is this nation-state anyway?" rants self-proclaimed reasonable conservative @@randommalename@@. "This is an alarmist conspiracy, fabricated by the liberal vegan-industrial complex to take away our gastronomic freedoms. Look, if I want to put juicy meat in my mouth -- in a non homosexual way, I mean -- then that is my right as a @@DEMONYMNOUN@@. Celebrate beef with a National Steak Day, and be out and proud of our love for beef!"

OUTCOME:
Big Beef has a steak in national politics

DRAFT TWO: Thinner and leaner.
TITLE:
Don't Have a Cow, Man

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:
Beef! While this meat a firm favourite on the @@DEMONYM@@ menu, it's rapidly becoming clear that cattle herds are having a disproportionate environmental impact, largely because of the methane in their burps, farts and rotting faeces.

OPTION 1
"What we have here is a precious natural resource just floating away," conjures Bovine Apparel producer @@randomname@@, wafting @@HIS@@ hands over your head. "We need to legislate that at least 90% of the methane should be recaptured for biofuel use, whether through domed poo fermenters, tubes and backpack bubbles, or closed environment capture. We don't need to give up on beef, so long as we catch a few fumes!"

OUTCOME:

OPTION 2
"A cow is meant to roam free and naked, under the open sky," opines leather-lover @@randomname@@. "Don't restrain them: instead, give them a diet of Asparagopsis seaweed, to disrupt the methane-producing enzymes in the cows' stomachs. Of course, we'll need to dedicate large stretches of coastal sea to feed farms, displacing the odd marina and fishery, and we'll need a barge network for low-carbon transportation. Still, this way we get cows' bottoms nice and clean." @@HE@@ stops for a moment, and licks @@HIS@@ lips thoughtfully.

OUTCOME:

OPTION 3
"Hmm... o-kay," says vegan @@randomname@@, carefully backing away from the previous speaker. "Look, wouldn't it be better if all flesh-munchers just cut back on beef a bit? Maybe if you just taxed the heck out of large livestock, you could divert the funds into subsidising more carbon-friendly animal proteins, like worms, and beetles, and -- if you must insist on conventional meats -- poultry."

OUTCOME:

OPTION 4
"That's the problem with you, @@firstname(3)@@, you've no conviction," interrupts ecorevolutionary @@randomname@@, waving a soysteak at you menacingly. "I demand that all meat-eating should be banned! Omnivorism is genocide! Down with the Meatocracy!"

OUTCOME:

OPTION 5
"Two environmentalists and two vegans? Just how biased is this nation-state anyway?" rants self-proclaimed reasonable conservative @@randommalename@@. "This is an alarmist conspiracy, fabricated by the liberal vegan-industrial complex to take away our gastronomic freedoms. Look, if I want to put juicy meat in my mouth -- in a non homosexual way, I mean -- then that is my right as a @@DEMONYMNOUN@@. Celebrate beef with a National Steak Day, and be out and proud of our love for beef!"

OUTCOME:

DRAFT ONE: Yeah, I know, too wordy. I'm just getting the ideas down first before I trim the fat.
TITLE:
Don't Have a Cow, Man

VALIDITY:

DESCRIPTION:
Beef! Whether roasted, minced or in a juicy steak on grill, beef remains a favourite on the @@DEMONYM@@ menu. However, it's rapidly becoming clear that the meat has a disproportionate environmental impact, particularly in terms of the methane emanating from the burps, farts and faeces of bovine herds.

OPTION 1

OUTCOME:

OPTION 2
"A cow is meant to roam free and naked, under the open sky," opines leather-lover @@randomname@@. "A more natural solution here would be a diet of Asparagopsis seaweed, to disrupt the methane-producing enzymes in the cows' stomachs. I mean logistically, there's a few challenges of course. We'll need to dedicate large stretches of the coast to seaweed farms, displacing the odd marina and fishery, and you'll need low-carbon transport for the feed, like barges. It'll be worth it to get cows' bottoms nice and clean." @@HE@@ stops for a moment, and licks @@HIS@@ lips thoughtfully.

OUTCOME:

OPTION 3
"Hmm... o-kay," says vegan @@randomname@@, carefully backing away from the previous speaker. "Look, wouldn't it be better if all flesh-munchers just cut back on beef a bit? I'm not saying we should have mandatory veganism, but maybe if you just taxed the heck out of large livestock, you could divert the funds into subsidising more carbon-friendly animal proteins, like worms, and beetles, and -- if you must insist on conventional meats -- poultry."

OUTCOME:

OPTION 4

OUTCOME:

OPTION 5
"Two environmentalists and two vegans? Just how biased is this place anyway?" rants self-proclaimed reasonable conservative @@randommalename@@. "I think I've had enough of this alarmist conspiracy: it's the liberal vegan-industrial complex, looking to take away our freedoms. Look, if I want to put juicy meat in my mouth, then that is my right as a @@DEMONYMNOUN@@. In a non-gay way, I mean. Let's celebrate beef with a National Steak Day, and be proud of our nation!"

OUTCOME:
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:09 am, edited 8 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:53 am

In order to avoid the exclusion of Hindus, can we substitute cows with zebus? Are zebus sacred to Hindus? Can Hindus eat zebus?

Anyways, I once had a high school science teacher who asked why we're taxing cow farts, when we don't tax the farts od wild animals, not even pests, like camals. Whilst I think he was somewhat sarcastic, he rose an interesting point- why is it only cow farts which are a problem? Why not wild animal farts? See if you can play into that
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:49 am

Australian rePublic wrote:In order to avoid the exclusion of Hindus, can we substitute cows with zebus? Are zebus sacred to Hindus? Can Hindus eat zebus?

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Firstly, zebus aren't really something that are globally recognised as food animals. Cows are.

Secondly, zebus are the exact breed of cow that are seen to be sacred by Hindus. You've basically said something along the lines of "hey, if some Muslims not liking satirical cartoons is a problem, how about we only have satirical cartoons of Mohammed?"
That is to say, the point has not only been missed, but you've used your crossbow to shoot yourself in the ass.

Anyways, I once had a high school science teacher who asked why we're taxing cow farts, when we don't tax the farts od wild animals, not even pests, like camals. Whilst I think he was somewhat sarcastic, he rose an interesting point- why is it only cow farts which are a problem? Why not wild animal farts? See if you can play into that

Pretty simple one to answer really.
1) The activity of domesticated animals can be seen as anthropogenic.
2) Scale. Domesticated cows are responsible 18% of the world's greenhouse gas production, which is more than cars.
3) Biology. It's only mult-stomached ruminants that have this exceptionally high methane production from their digestion. One cow farts and burps the same amount of methane as 1000 humans, for example. Sheep and goats are pretty bad offenders too, but cows basically outstrip all other animals. Camels, interestingly, produce the same amount of methane per kilo of material consumed as a cow does, but camels also eat much less than cows, so each camel produces a lot less gas than a cow does. And again, scalewise, there's a lot more cows than camels.

Coming aside from the school lesson here, I think in this issue other animals don't need to be addressed because in real life, other animals aren't the issue.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:11 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:In order to avoid the exclusion of Hindus, can we substitute cows with zebus? Are zebus sacred to Hindus? Can Hindus eat zebus?

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Firstly, zebus aren't really something that are globally recognised as food animals. Cows are.

Secondly, zebus are the exact breed of cow that are seen to be sacred by Hindus. You've basically said something along the lines of "hey, if some Muslims not liking satirical cartoons is a problem, how about we only have satirical cartoons of Mohammed?"
That is to say, the point has not only been missed, but you've used your crossbow to shoot yourself in the ass.

I thought Zebus were a completely different animal. Well, I'm an idiot...
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:OPTION 3
"Hmm... o-kay," says vegan @@randomname@@, carefully backing away from the previous speaker. "Look, wouldn't it be better if all flesh-munchers just cut back on beef a bit? Maybe if you just taxed the heck out of large livestock, you could divert the funds into subsidising more carbon-friendly animal proteins, like worms, and beetles, and -- if you must insist on conventional meats -- poultry."

OPTION 4

Cows have other environmental impacts beyond methane (i.e. water & food consumption, land consumption), maybe one of these two options could point that out as a reason for getting rid of them entirely?

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"Two environmentalists and two vegans? Just how biased is this nationstate anyway?"

Could this be a @@TYPE@@ macro?

Side Note
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:That is to say, the point has not only been missed, but you've used your crossbow to shoot yourself in the ass.

Can put this in my signature, pretty please?
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:25 am

Cows have other environmental impacts beyond methane (i.e. water & food consumption, land consumption), maybe one of these two options could point that out as a reason for getting rid of them entirely?

Good call, I'll put that in draft 3.

Could this be a @@TYPE@@ macro?

It could, but it was meant to be a metajoke about how people often complain NS has a left wing bias, and -- less commonly -- a pro-vegan bias.

Can put this in my signature, pretty please?

Help yourself. :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:21 am

Option 5- noone who lives in a federation" would refer to tjheir country as a "nationstate"

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:16 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 5- noone who lives in a federation" would refer to tjheir country as a "nationstate"

Not so. Russia is a federation, but many Russian nationalists refer to the nation-state of Russia. Likewise Germany was historically a federation, and retains federal nomenclature in a lot of its politics, but is considered a nation-state by most.

I can absolutely agree that SOME people within some nations would object to their nation being called a nation-state, but there'll always be some who want to use the term.

Besides, the game is called Nation States... It has always been explicit that is what we're simulating.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 5- noone who lives in a federation" would refer to tjheir country as a "nationstate"

Not so. Russia is a federation, but many Russian nationalists refer to the nation-state of Russia.

I suspect that most of those "Russian nationalists" are 'probably ethnic Russians' anyway, rather than members of the various other peoples that have (at least in theory) been given their own 'autonomous republics' or 'autonomous oblasts' or whatever as federation members...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Window Land
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Window Land » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:11 pm

In option 2 the phrase "and we'll a barge network" seems to be missing the word need between we'll and a.
Bored college student who is probably supposed to be doing something important.
Woodie Flowers wrote:If you’re anti-science, you’re pro-stupid.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winston Churchill wrote:Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.

Randall Munroe wrote: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Free Speech

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:56 pm

There should be an option promoting VAT grown beef

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:53 am

Australian rePublic wrote:There should be an option promoting VAT grown beef

Exactly what I was going to say. A lot of these problems would be avoided in a place where beef was grown artificially in a lab. Of course, the question of what to actually do with all of these now redundant cows would be an issue in and of itself.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:07 am

Window Land wrote:In option 2 the phrase "and we'll a barge network" seems to be missing the word need between we'll and a.

Thanks, fixed.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:08 am

Australian rePublic wrote:There should be an option promoting VAT grown beef

Good point. I'll append that to option 3 in draft 3, in order to keep things trimmed down.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:52 pm

Added in a mention of vats. Any final thoughts anyone?

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:46 am

You forgot an "is" in the *first sentence

*Unless "Beef!" counts as a sentence.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:40 am

Fauxia wrote:You forgot an "is" in the *first sentence

*Unless "Beef!" counts as a sentence.

Thanks, fixed.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?