NATION

PASSWORD

Valsian Succession Crisis OOC Sign up

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
User avatar
Vals Hyrserd
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Jul 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Valsian Succession Crisis OOC Sign up

Postby Vals Hyrserd » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:06 am

The Grand Duchy of Vals Hyrserd is a sparsely populated country in the North Pacific, not unlike Real Life Kamchatka. Most known for its fishing ports and reindeer herders, the nation has potential to be strategically important in a Pacific war.

The Grand Duchy, although sovereign, has always been under the hegemony or protection of a larger nation. This delicate arrangement has recently become unstable, causing the peninsular nation to become more interesting to foreign nations...


The House of Orneux has ruled Vals Hyrserd for generations, and the line of succession has always been semi-salic. This means, that women only inherit after the extinction of the male line. The senior line of the house has now one existing member, the Grand Duke himself. At 71 years old, he has three daughters and no sons. This makes his heir his 3rd cousin, Prince Albert d'Orneux.

The trouble is that, Prince Albert has become sick and as his nearest male relative has taken vows, the third in line is another cousin.

All of this would be uncontroversial, except for the feminist angle and more importantly, the potential heir is considered too close to the government of a foreign power opposing the Grand Duchy's current allies. His succession would necessitate the realignment of the Grand Duchy.

In short, this is inspired by the Monaco Succession Crisis.

This will focus on characters and would require inventing a backstory between participants. At least one nation needs to be the current suzerain, but it can also be a block or alliance. Another needs to be the nation with the heir. I am also willing to change some details so that it can match your nation.

To apply, just explain what role you wish to play, and make the case that you would be good for it.

User avatar
Parina
Envoy
 
Posts: 215
Founded: Dec 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Parina » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:27 am

This sounds like a really interesting idea. I would like to play the role of Vals Hyrserd’s current suzerain, who would be opposed to the succession of the distant cousin and the realignment it would cause in Valsian foreign policy. We would work to dispute the succession or ensure that the new heir does not alter Vals Hyrserd’s foreign policy.

Parina has a mix of francophone and anglophone citizens, because it was first a colony of French-speaking Le Savoie and then English-speaking United Avon. Parina engaged in a small amount of imperial adventuring during its history - perhaps it was during one of these forays, in the age of steam, that Parina established a hegemonic relationship over Vals Hyrserd as a way of securing a coaling station in strategically important waters?

Parina would want to maintain the status quo because I imagine that our nations would have strong trade connections which might be disrupted if a new ruler re-aligned your nation, and because losing the suzerain status would be a blow to Parinan national pride.

Here is a sample of my writing from another roleplay.
Last edited by Parina on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Polata City
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 54
Founded: Nov 15, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Polata City » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Sounds interesting.

The Principality of Polata City would definitely try and get a Royal marriage going so that the line doesn’t die out

My main nation is Thermodolia

User avatar
A m e n r i a
Minister
 
Posts: 3269
Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby A m e n r i a » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:40 pm

Amenria would support whichever leader is most benevolent and theocratic. If the current duke is good, especially lawful good, then it would make sense if I were allies with him. If all three leaders are good, the most lawful one would be the best bet.

User avatar
Freiderichsland
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: May 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiderichsland » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Vals Hyrserd wrote:Another needs to be the nation with the heir.

By this, do you mean whoever wants to be the foreign nation who is not already allied with your nation would create and control the heir as a character, or would we just be the backer for a character you would develop and control?

User avatar
Vals Hyrserd
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Jul 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vals Hyrserd » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:57 pm

Polata City wrote:Sounds interesting.

The Principality of Polata City would definitely try and get a Royal marriage going so that the line doesn’t die out

My main nation is Thermodolia


With whom do you want to arrange the marriage? The current Grand Duke is married and has three daughters. He is 71 and his wife is over 60, so not going to have a kid, probably not going to get divorced and remarried if that is what your suggesting. The Grand Duke's cousin is the next heir and is terminally ill, so it is possible that he marries and sires a child before he dies, if that what you want to do?

User avatar
Vals Hyrserd
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Jul 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vals Hyrserd » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:58 pm

Freiderichsland wrote:
Vals Hyrserd wrote:Another needs to be the nation with the heir.

By this, do you mean whoever wants to be the foreign nation who is not already allied with your nation would create and control the heir as a character,

Yes, this is what I mean.

User avatar
Vals Hyrserd
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Jul 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vals Hyrserd » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:15 pm

A m e n r i a wrote:Amenria would support whichever leader is most benevolent and theocratic. If the current duke is good, especially lawful good, then it would make sense if I were allies with him. If all three leaders are good, the most lawful one would be the best bet.


It doesn't matter if the current Grand Duke is good, he won't live forever, at the same time, this is about his heir. His current heir is dying. The next in line is considered politically unacceptable by certain foreign power(s). As a character he hasn't been created yet, so I can't say much about him. There will be no theocracy though.

User avatar
A m e n r i a
Minister
 
Posts: 3269
Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby A m e n r i a » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:31 am

Vals Hyrserd wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:Amenria would support whichever leader is most benevolent and theocratic. If the current duke is good, especially lawful good, then it would make sense if I were allies with him. If all three leaders are good, the most lawful one would be the best bet.


It doesn't matter if the current Grand Duke is good, he won't live forever, at the same time, this is about his heir. His current heir is dying. The next in line is considered politically unacceptable by certain foreign power(s). As a character he hasn't been created yet, so I can't say much about him. There will be no theocracy though.


Then the next best thing would be whatever form of government with laws guided from the majority religion. If that religion is a legitimate branch of Islam or Christianity, all the better. All in all, Amenria would be the foreign power that genuinely cares about the people, even more than it cares about the royals themselves.

User avatar
Vals Hyrserd
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Jul 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vals Hyrserd » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:18 am

The Grand Duchy is a constitutional monarchy. While the Grand Duke is not purely ceremonial and has a lot of influence on foreign policy, he can't and won't change the constitution, no matter who religious he is. The majority religion is Protestant Christian. The Grand Ducal family is Huguenot, but most Protestants are Lutheran.

Also, are you a fantasy nation that takes place in the future?

User avatar
A m e n r i a
Minister
 
Posts: 3269
Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby A m e n r i a » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:34 am

Vals Hyrserd wrote:The Grand Duchy is a constitutional monarchy. While the Grand Duke is not purely ceremonial and has a lot of influence on foreign policy, he can't and won't change the constitution, no matter who religious he is. The majority religion is Protestant Christian. The Grand Ducal family is Huguenot, but most Protestants are Lutheran.

Also, are you a fantasy nation that takes place in the future?


Yes, yes I am. 2047, to be exact. Futuristic to MT, but primitive to FT.

User avatar
Vals Hyrserd
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Jul 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vals Hyrserd » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:41 am

A m e n r i a wrote:
Vals Hyrserd wrote:The Grand Duchy is a constitutional monarchy. While the Grand Duke is not purely ceremonial and has a lot of influence on foreign policy, he can't and won't change the constitution, no matter who religious he is. The majority religion is Protestant Christian. The Grand Ducal family is Huguenot, but most Protestants are Lutheran.

Also, are you a fantasy nation that takes place in the future?


Yes, yes I am. 2047, to be exact. Futuristic to MT, but primitive to FT.


Well these events are happening in 2019, so. um. yeah. This really isn't a time travel RP. Especially since time travel is really irresponsible with all those paradoxes etc.

I think even if your nation was just technologically advanced, and not chronologically, that would still create some issues. Your nation seems interesting in ways that not only potentially distract from the main plot they are so interesting, but also allow you to dominate everyone. As your nation contains the three largest countries by population plus additional large countries, you must have more than half the world's population. On top of being a especially strong superpower in the national sense, you have people with actual super powers. The power dynamic is so unbalanced that that would be the subtext between every diplomatic action, because no one would be strong enough to say no to you.

In short, I don't see how you can participate in this RP unless your retcons address the above listed issues.

User avatar
A m e n r i a
Minister
 
Posts: 3269
Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby A m e n r i a » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 am

Vals Hyrserd wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:
Yes, yes I am. 2047, to be exact. Futuristic to MT, but primitive to FT.


Well these events are happening in 2019, so. um. yeah. This really isn't a time travel RP. Especially since time travel is really irresponsible with all those paradoxes etc.

I think even if your nation was just technologically advanced, and not chronologically, that would still create some issues. Your nation seems interesting in ways that not only potentially distract from the main plot they are so interesting, but also allow you to dominate everyone. As your nation contains the three largest countries by population plus additional large countries, you must have more than half the world's population. On top of being a especially strong superpower in the national sense, you have people with actual super powers. The power dynamic is so unbalanced that that would be the subtext between every diplomatic action, because no one would be strong enough to say no to you.

In short, I don't see how you can participate in this RP unless your retcons address the above listed issues.


Simple. I use no superpowers. This is merely diplomatic, is it not? :D
Last edited by A m e n r i a on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vals Hyrserd
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Jul 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vals Hyrserd » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:35 am

But can't you see that diplomacy can't be separated from military might or what is called hard power. Besides, like I said that is only one of many issues. I don't expect you to change for me. So lets just go our separate ways.

User avatar
Freiderichsland
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: May 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiderichsland » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:55 am

Vals Hyrserd wrote:
Freiderichsland wrote:By this, do you mean whoever wants to be the foreign nation who is not already allied with your nation would create and control the heir as a character,

Yes, this is what I mean.

Then I’d like to apply for that position. The heir would be a distant cousin to the current monarch, correct? So what if they’re the child of an estranged member of the monarch’s dynastic family, who married into a Freiderichslander noble family, and so now they see a chance to inherit the throne and thus get revenge on the other parts of the family who cast their parent out? That would provide some tension internally as well because the heir would be relatively ignorant of Valsian customs and etiquette, and maybe disdainful of those traditions.

As well, Freiderichsland would like a chance to gain a close trade partner who could provide natural resources like the ones your nation exports.
Last edited by Freiderichsland on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Polata City
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 54
Founded: Nov 15, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Polata City » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 am

Vals Hyrserd wrote:
Polata City wrote:Sounds interesting.

The Principality of Polata City would definitely try and get a Royal marriage going so that the line doesn’t die out

My main nation is Thermodolia


With whom do you want to arrange the marriage? The current Grand Duke is married and has three daughters. He is 71 and his wife is over 60, so not going to have a kid, probably not going to get divorced and remarried if that is what your suggesting. The Grand Duke's cousin is the next heir and is terminally ill, so it is possible that he marries and sires a child before he dies, if that what you want to do?

How old is the Grand Dukes cousin? If he’s between 20-27 then a royal marriage with the eldest daughter of Prince James II could work.

If not we could also have a male line cousin of the Grand Duke be apart of the royal extended family
Last edited by Polata City on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Crysuko
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6106
Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:49 pm

We would support the independence of Valsia, with the potential to seed socialist influences as a secondary objective. any opportunity to strike at imperialism, we will take it.
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Syndicalist, vehement anti-fascist.
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

User avatar
Vals Hyrserd
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Jul 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vals Hyrserd » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:06 am

Polata City wrote:
Vals Hyrserd wrote:
With whom do you want to arrange the marriage? The current Grand Duke is married and has three daughters. He is 71 and his wife is over 60, so not going to have a kid, probably not going to get divorced and remarried if that is what your suggesting. The Grand Duke's cousin is the next heir and is terminally ill, so it is possible that he marries and sires a child before he dies, if that what you want to do?

How old is the Grand Dukes cousin? If he’s between 20-27 then a royal marriage with the eldest daughter of Prince James II could work.

If not we could also have a male line cousin of the Grand Duke be apart of the royal extended family


I have written in the factbook, that he is 39, but I can also change that.

Freiderichsland wrote:
Vals Hyrserd wrote:Yes, this is what I mean.

Then I’d like to apply for that position. The heir would be a distant cousin to the current monarch, correct? So what if they’re the child of an estranged member of the monarch’s dynastic family, who married into a Freiderichslander noble family, and so now they see a chance to inherit the throne and thus get revenge on the other parts of the family who cast their parent out? That would provide some tension internally as well because the heir would be relatively ignorant of Valsian customs and etiquette, and maybe disdainful of those traditions.

As well, Freiderichsland would like a chance to gain a close trade partner who could provide natural resources like the ones your nation exports.


I like this idea. I also noticed you are in the same region as Parina, what is your current relationship IC ?

User avatar
Polata City
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 54
Founded: Nov 15, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Polata City » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:25 am

Vals Hyrserd wrote:
Polata City wrote:How old is the Grand Dukes cousin? If he’s between 20-27 then a royal marriage with the eldest daughter of Prince James II could work.

If not we could also have a male line cousin of the Grand Duke be apart of the royal extended family


I have written in the factbook, that he is 39, but I can also change that.

Princess Lucy is 21 so I think you could drop the age down to 30. What kind of terminal illness does the cousin have?

User avatar
Crysuko
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6106
Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:02 am

Worst comes to it, we would be willing to host a government in exile
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Syndicalist, vehement anti-fascist.
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

User avatar
Freiderichsland
Secretary
 
Posts: 40
Founded: May 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiderichsland » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Vals Hyrserd wrote:
Freiderichsland wrote:what if they’re the child of an estranged member of the monarch’s dynastic family, who married into a Freiderichslander noble family, and so now they see a chance to inherit the throne and thus get revenge on the other parts of the family who cast their parent out? That would provide some tension internally as well because the heir would be relatively ignorant of Valsian customs and etiquette, and maybe disdainful of those traditions.

I like this idea. I also noticed you are in the same region as Parina, what is your current relationship IC ?

We have not had any real IC interactions yet, but I’m sure we can work out some backstory to reference. Freiderichsland is a land of traditions, and our culture has a militant undercurrent (a legacy of our beginnings as a collection of feuding raider tribes) that I suspect will not mesh well with Parina’s culture.

I could see our nations actually not being that antagonistic to each other in other circumstances, but I’m thinking that maybe the heir that Freiderichsland backs is a close friend of the current Grand Duke, and so he is willing to upset Parina in order to help the heir press his claim.

User avatar
Parina
Envoy
 
Posts: 215
Founded: Dec 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Parina » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Freiderichsland wrote:
Vals Hyrserd wrote:I also noticed you are in the same region as Parina, what is your current relationship IC ?

We have not had any real IC interactions yet, but I’m sure we can work out some backstory to reference. Freiderichsland is a land of traditions, and our culture has a militant undercurrent (a legacy of our beginnings as a collection of feuding raider tribes) that I suspect will not mesh well with Parina’s culture.

I could see our nations actually not being that antagonistic to each other in other circumstances, but I’m thinking that maybe the heir that Freiderichsland backs is a close friend of the current Grand Duke, and so he is willing to upset Parina in order to help the heir press his claim.


It seems like both of our nations are strongly traditionalist but in different ways, which would be an interesting dynamic. My suggestion is that maybe there had been a failed attempt at a dynastic marriage between our two nations sometime in the past, which had soured relations between us. Or we could have no significant relations prior to this RP, assuming we both are accepted, and how things play out here could be a way of setting precedents for the future.

User avatar
Kedri
Diplomat
 
Posts: 809
Founded: May 25, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kedri » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:35 pm

I admit I'm not too knowledgeable about the intricacies of monarchical systems, but I see this as very interesting. I have an idea for a character who comes here hoping to inherit the throne. I would say he would be a potential suitor, but I'd imagine all of the Grand Duke's daughters are married?

He doesn't have the support of the Kedrian government and is acting on his own. However, I think interesting situations could arise over a misunderstanding (though not a war.)
Kedri is a nation of 18th century pirates who know water-bending. Throw in some steampunk, as well. Tech level is PT/FanT.
Kedrians abandon piracy and become a modernized country, founded by reformed criminals who forsook piracy and the citizens are descended from pirates, and still retain some of their heritage such as speech, accent, politics.
-Kedri-Commonwealth War: Defeat
-Kedrian Civil War: Concluded. Republican victory

User avatar
Etrurica
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: Jul 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Etrurica » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:55 pm

The Diplomatic Academy at Aranthe National University runs an excellent program, and thus Etruric diplomats are some of the best in the world. I could see a Special Envoy of the Foreign Service being called in to mediate a dispute between Parina and Freiderichsland... for a fee, of course.
A Class 1.4 Civilization according to this index.

User avatar
Vals Hyrserd
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 48
Founded: Jul 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vals Hyrserd » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 pm

Sorry for the delayed response.

Like I said, I imagine this a bit like the Monaco Succession Crisis. In that case the heir was a German Duke, although raised in Monaco. France however controlled Monaco and put pressure on the ruling Prince. The law was changed to allow the Prince to adopt and he adopted his natural daughter.

There is of course differences, the Grand Duke of Vals Hyrserd has daughters, but they inherit only after the male line is extinct.

Thus there will be pressure to change the law. The Grand Duke is naturally not opposed to his eldest inheriting. However, to change the law he needs Parliament to change the law, and isn't sure if it is right.

The heir also has to be one that is capable of pushing back. That is, creating his own pressure.

Kedri wrote:I admit I'm not too knowledgeable about the intricacies of monarchical systems, but I see this as very interesting. I have an idea for a character who comes here hoping to inherit the throne. I would say he would be a potential suitor, but I'd imagine all of the Grand Duke's daughters are married?

He doesn't have the support of the Kedrian government and is acting on his own. However, I think interesting situations could arise over a misunderstanding (though not a war.)


None of the Grand Duke's daughters are married. I think a suitor could add for an interesting dimension, especially as it is possible that the law is changed to allow the oldest to inherit.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aelial, Hungramy, Ruzilia, The Rapture Republic

Advertisement

Remove ads