NATION

PASSWORD

Pokemon Discussion Thread: Generation II

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favourite Starter Pokemon (Fire)?

Charmander
22%
Cyndaquil
19%
Torchic
14%
Chimchar
7%
Tepig
2%
Fennekin
9%
Litten
7%
Never start with fire
12%
Pikachu. Always Pikachu
8%

Total votes : 307

DeltaSource
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby DeltaSource » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:55 am

Cekoviu wrote:
DeltaSource wrote:I agree, just I place team skull directly behind them instead of the aether foundation.

Team Skull is hilarious, but I don't think they were good at being evil, per se. Not in the way that Plasma was.

I know, that's why I love them, they take the number 2 spot, Rainbow Rocket takes the number 3, Aether takes 4 and Galactic takes 5
Games I'm Playing Atm:
Persona 5 Royal
Genshin Impact
Call of Duty: Warzone

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:05 am

DeltaSource wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Team Skull is hilarious, but I don't think they were good at being evil, per se. Not in the way that Plasma was.

I know, that's why I love them, they take the number 2 spot, Rainbow Rocket takes the number 3, Aether takes 4 and Galactic takes 5

I haven't played DPP through, but Galactic seems pretty generic. They seem to be effectively the same as Team Flare and Magma/Aqua.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Team Skull is hilarious, but I don't think they were good at being evil, per se. Not in the way that Plasma was.

The difference is that they made skull likable. We went from everyone still cosplays Rocket, Magma, and Aqua to Team Skull is the most cosplayed team in all of pokemon. Never before have i seen people embrace a team before especially in a generation where they maxed out on easiness and made the friendliest weakest rival possible. At least Kukui was a good "champion" of all the improvements USUM made they somehow thought it was a good idea to make Hau the "champion".
basically skull is my favorite team somehow beating out Magma

I beat Hau in USUM using only two Pokémon, just one of which was KOed. To be fair, I had an Ultra Beast on my team and had battled a considerable number of high-level Pokémon, so all of mine were 5 levels higher. They really should've kept Kukui.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:30 am

Cekoviu wrote:
DeltaSource wrote:I agree, just I place team skull directly behind them instead of the aether foundation.

Team Skull is hilarious, but I don't think they were good at being evil, per se. Not in the way that Plasma was.

That is honestly why I love Team Skull and why they are my favorite team. They are not some big crime syndicate intent on some world changing goal. They are a funnier, more incompetent, and more relatable version of Team Rocket and I love it.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Parhe wrote:I know most disagree, but I would have preferred if the games just stayed sprite based if that meant we could keep all our Pokemon. Or had the clunky models and movements as the Stadium or Gamecube Orre games. All of them gave the Pokemon as much character and charm as the models we saw in XY. Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, and Undertale are recent games with large followings despite their 2D graphics.

I would boycott these games, since I find interacting with my living dex my favorite part of the game, but a loved one already preordered the game for me and I lack the courage to disappoint them.

Sword and Shield are still going to be fun, so don't worry.

Hopefully. I mean, to be honest, what I am about to say is about me personally. I don't really enjoy the story of the Pokemon games or competitive. They are fine but not worth sixty dollars to me. Maybe forty, but a fifty percent mark up for better graphics? My main enjoyment comes for expanding my living dex and then being able to interact with all of them, through Amie, looking through their pages, or battles; currently, in USUM, I am cycling through all of the fully evolved Pokemon and seeing how far I can go in the battle tree's super single battles. I do wonder if limiting what Pokemon can be transferred (I heard only about a third of current Pokemon can be, but that is just rumors) will effect the USUM meta. It will probably also make Showdown more popular as more casual players-casual in terms of the competitive scene-might want to be able to use a mix of new and old Pokemon in battle which isn't possible in Sword and Shield.

Aside from a patch or the developers later deciding to change this decision, like they eventually did with bring Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon to the rest of the games, I'm really hoping Pokemon Home is more than just Pokebank. Like, give us the ability to do something with your Pokemon beyond organizing them and reading their dex entries.

Andsed wrote:

That is honestly why I love Team Skull and why they are my favorite team. They are not some big crime syndicate intent on some world changing goal. They are a funnier, more incompetent, and more relatable version of Team Rocket and I love it.

I like Team Skull for the same reason, although I was originally weary of them because of the way they walked and threw around their arms.

Team Rocket is my favorite because they are a simple crime syndicate. They don't really have some grandiose plan of genocide or recreate the universe. In comparison, making money or dominating the world is rather minor. The grunts are also not required to look crazy. I want to like Team Aqua and Magma, but they aren't very coherent in the games. Like, as soon as their plans are pushed into action, the leaders change their mind. Not a single pixel has been flooded or dried up, but they decide it's already gone too far cause its sunny or there is a storm. I don't know how Archie and Maxie expected the legendaries to grant their wishes if not through influencing the weather.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Cekoviu wrote:They made entirely new 3D models for old Pokémon at the start of Gen 6; having a team of designers subdivide surfaces and make high-res textures is significantly less difficult. That's a poor excuse for this stupid flaw.

There was also a lot less pokemon at the start at Gen 6 then there are now. Some of those pokemon already had 3D models they could at least use as a template from Battle Revolution, Gale of Darkness, Colosseum, ect. So the models from Gen 6 where not entirely made from scratch. Some where, some where not.

I'm still disappointed in GF, I do hope they delay the game to get all the models in.
Parhe wrote:I know most disagree, but I would have preferred if the games just stayed sprite based if that meant we could keep all our Pokemon. Or had the clunky models and movements as the Stadium or Gamecube Orre games. All of them gave the Pokemon as much character and charm as the models we saw in XY. Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, and Undertale are recent games with large followings despite their 2D graphics.

I would boycott these games, since I find interacting with my living dex my favorite part of the game, but a loved one already preordered the game for me and I lack the courage to disappoint them.

Are you like, trying to purposely ignore the problems this presents?

They already stated that they want the games to be focused more towards mobile/phone gamers, along with the fact that they're cutting corners on a pretty big part of their franchise out of sheer laziness. If they're willing to do that then what else are they willing to cut/ignore? They had to involuntarily do this in Gen 3 because of system overhauls, but now they're doing it on purpose.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 pm

New haven america wrote:
There was also a lot less pokemon at the start at Gen 6 then there are now. Some of those pokemon already had 3D models they could at least use as a template from Battle Revolution, Gale of Darkness, Colosseum, ect. So the models from Gen 6 where not entirely made from scratch. Some where, some where not.

I'm still disappointed in GF, I do hope they delay the game to get all the models in.

They're already stated that they want the games to be focused more towards mobile/phone gamers, along with the fact that they're cutting corners on a pretty big part of their franchise out of sheer laziness. If they're willing to do that then what else are they willing to cut/ignore? They had to involuntarily do this in Gen 3 because of system overhauls, but now they're doing it on purpose.

You made a slippery slope fallacy and that if the overall game is good and fun, then why get so worked up?

If it's not fun, why bother?...

...is what I would have said before I read this. "We Knew at Some Point We Weren't Going to be Able to Keep Indefinitely Supporting All of the Pokemon" quote.

I don't like the implications of that quote. heres a good yt on the subject

Yeah now i'm pissed.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:08 pm

The part about there still being many fan favorited is upsetting to me, as someone who's favorite Pokemon tend to not be very popular. It makes it sound like he is implying that, while the team is trying to focus on rebalancing the meta, they are also giving special attention to popular Pokemon in the name of profit, regardless if they may be overpowered and prevent other, new Pokemon from getting "the chance to shine." Admittedly, I may be too cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised after what they did with mega evolutions.

If GF really wanted other Pokemon to shine, they could ban certain Pokemon from the meta. Not that GF actually cared about this. If GF did, they would have actively held more tournaments, or events on line, that would promote using Pokemon which have not been given the chance to shine, literally hundreds of them.

I always felt like something this stupid was going to happen when Game Freak implemented 3D models. At some point, the company would compromise choice in the name of better graphics. And I don't understand why, even if I anticipated it. This is a fandom that still regularly replays the first two generation of games. Game Freak must have known that, if pushed to choose, most of their players would prefer having all their Pokemon over improvements in graphics. I mean, part of their American marketing has been to catch them all and their anime, which is not the best and meant to sell merchandise, pushes the idea of building bonds with Pokemon, with Ash taking Pikachu everywhere.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Gurori
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gurori » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:24 am

New haven america wrote:

They already stated that they want the games to be focused more towards mobile/phone gamers, along with the fact that they're cutting corners on a pretty big part of their franchise out of sheer laziness. If they're willing to do that then what else are they willing to cut/ignore? They had to involuntarily do this in Gen 3 because of system overhauls, but now they're doing it on purpose.

They want to focus on other games instead of Pokémon. They should just hand development rights over to Nintendo.
Gurori is currently being refurbished, please excuse any inconsistencies in the meantime.
Puppet master of Neo Gurori.

This nation will never reflect my actual views.
Also, NS Stats are absolutely non-canon.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:29 am

They want other pokemon to shine

They say as if Gen1 isn't going to be wanked off for a third straight gen.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:25 pm

I got a Masuda shiny Heatmor yesterday with only 25 eggs, which was pretty cool.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
DeltaSource wrote:I know, that's why I love them, they take the number 2 spot, Rainbow Rocket takes the number 3, Aether takes 4 and Galactic takes 5

I haven't played DPP through, but Galactic seems pretty generic. They seem to be effectively the same as Team Flare and Magma/Aqua.

They're not.

For one thing, they're the only evil team that actually gets what they wanted (In Platinum).
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:50 am

Official reaction from Gamefreak and The Pokémon Company about not including all Pokémon in SwSh.

In other words: We are aware of your complaints, we aren't planning on doing anything about it.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Eastern Denmark
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Eastern Denmark » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:45 am

New haven america wrote:Official reaction from Gamefreak and The Pokémon Company about not including all Pokémon in SwSh.

In other words: We are aware of your complaints, we aren't planning on doing anything about it.

seems like really poor choices theyre making with the game, and not utilizing the material they are good at and fans come for, may end up being a Fallout 76 situation for them (although not as bad) where they upset a lot of the fanbase, lose trust, and ultimately make bad sales. and they dont seem to be heeding the clear complaints and concerns of the fans :/
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be. -Miguel De Cervantes

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:01 am

Eastern Denmark wrote:
New haven america wrote:Official reaction from Gamefreak and The Pokémon Company about not including all Pokémon in SwSh.

seems like really poor choices theyre making with the game, and not utilizing the material they are good at and fans come for, may end up being a Fallout 76 situation for them (although not as bad) where they upset a lot of the fanbase, lose trust, and ultimately make bad sales. and they dont seem to be heeding the clear complaints and concerns of the fans :/

Oh please, the fanbase is so weak that this will outsell the prior games by a good margin.
Hell Nintendo could literally say "We will not release another pokemon game in America until their current president is out of office." and said president would be on the street within a week. That is how addicted the fanbase is.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:01 am

ok but aipom
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:07 am

I'm just gonna walk in here and say Rayquaza, Mewtwo, and Lugia are my favorite Legendary Pokemon.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:35 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:I'm just gonna walk in here and say Rayquaza, Mewtwo, and Lugia are my favorite Legendary Pokemon.

While we're sharing, Mewtwo, Zapdos, and Lugia are among my favorites.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:38 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:I'm just gonna walk in here and say Rayquaza, Mewtwo, and Lugia are my favorite Legendary Pokemon.

While we're sharing, Mewtwo, Zapdos, and Lugia are among my favorites.

I'm looking for a Mew. I'll trade for a shiny level 100 charizard?
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:39 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:While we're sharing, Mewtwo, Zapdos, and Lugia are among my favorites.

I'm looking for a Mew. I'll trade for a shiny level 100 charizard?

The newest gen game I have is Emerald. I still need to beat it. I will one of these days...
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:40 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:I'm looking for a Mew. I'll trade for a shiny level 100 charizard?

The newest gen game I have is Emerald. I still need to beat it. I will one of these days...

I have up to HG/SS
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:42 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:

I have up to HG/SS

I have an original copy of Silver.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:43 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:I have up to HG/SS

I have an original copy of Silver.

I have both original Nintendo DS Heartgold and Soulsilver cartridges and I have the original box for Soul Silver.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:48 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I have an original copy of Silver.

I have both original Nintendo DS Heartgold and Soulsilver cartridges and I have the original box for Soul Silver.

Cooool. None of my Pokèmon games have boxes or manuals because I got them used.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:50 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:I have both original Nintendo DS Heartgold and Soulsilver cartridges and I have the original box for Soul Silver.

Cooool. None of my Pokèmon games have boxes or manuals because I got them used.

Just wait a decade or so lol. You can sell them!

.. maybe.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:05 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Cooool. None of my Pokèmon games have boxes or manuals because I got them used.

Just wait a decade or so lol. You can sell them!

.. maybe.

I could sell them now, and still probably get a decent amount.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction