NATION

PASSWORD

Creationism in Public Schools

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think?

Public schools should only teach evolution
75%
Public schools should teach evolution and creation science
20%
Public schools should only teach creation science
5%

Total votes : 488

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:00 am

Realm of Coffeecakes wrote:I think that students should hear both sides of the debate. After all, schools should equip kids to become critical thinkers and not everything about evolution makes sense.

The Christian creation story should not be taught as if it is just as valid as a scientific theory. Makes about as much sense as teaching a history class where the flood is considered historical fact.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:01 am

Realm of Coffeecakes wrote:I think that students should hear both sides of the debate. After all, schools should equip kids to become critical thinkers and not everything about evolution makes sense.

Sure, but we don't teach Alchemy in Chemistry, or the Flat Earth in geology. We don't teach that vaccines cause autism in biology. Because they're all flat out wrong statements. Creationism is about as far-from-truth as they are.
And sure. not everything about science makes sense. Not everyone's gonna become a scientist, the job of the teacher is to make you make sense of some of it.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:02 am

If students have questions about evolution, then they should address them to their biology teacher. More likely than not, the teacher will have the answer and the student will learn something valuable.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:05 am

North German Realm wrote:

Sure, but we don't teach Alchemy in Chemistry, or the Flat Earth in geology. We don't teach that vaccines cause autism in biology. Because they're all flat out wrong statements. Creationism is about as far-from-truth as they are.
And sure. not everything about science makes sense. Not everyone's gonna become a scientist, the job of the teacher is to make you make sense of some of it.

I don't know, I mean, "Alchemists attempted to purify, mature, and perfect certain materials.[2][4][5][n 1] Common aims were chrysopoeia, the transmutation of "base metals" (e.g., lead) into "noble metals" (particularly gold);[2] the creation of an elixir of immortality;[2] the creation of panaceas able to cure any disease; and the development of an alkahest, a universal solvent.[6] The perfection of the human body and soul was thought to permit or result from the alchemical magnum opus[2] and, in the Hellenistic and Western mystery tradition, the achievement of gnosis.[5] In Europe, the creation of a philosopher's stone was variously connected with all of these projects." We still do some of this, we just call it "Better living through chemistry."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:06 am

So, should children be taught all forms of creationism, from every religion?

While evolution might not make sense to you, it is grounded in the scientific principle and evidence.
Last edited by Celritannia on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Realm of Coffeecakes
Secretary

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Realm of Coffeecakes » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:06 am

Hanafuridake wrote:

If students have questions about evolution, then they should address them to their biology teacher. More likely than not, the teacher will have the answer and the student will learn something valuable.

Yes, but we should allow the teachers to teach intelligent design as well. By only restricting them to one theory, we are not allowing the students to get all the answers they want.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:08 am

Realm of Coffeecakes wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

Yes, but we should allow the teachers to teach intelligent design as well. By only restricting them to one theory, we are not allowing the students to get all the answers they want.

What use is there in polluting the biology class with Bronze Age mythology?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:09 am

Hanafuridake wrote:

Evolution is not a theory, it is proven fact.
Creationism has no scientific evidence.

In fact, leading psychologists have stated teaching children creationism leads them being unable to differentiate between fact and fiction:
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/0 ... 07009.html
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-echochambers-28537149
Last edited by Celritannia on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 am

Hanafuridake wrote:

Unless you plan on teaching every single creation myth of every religion, no. We do not need to teach myths and stories as part of science.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 am

Hanafuridake wrote:

I completely agree with this, but all theories should be taught. Not just intelligent design, but creation too.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 am

Hanafuridake wrote:

If anything, we should just remove religion from school cold turkey so that in a few generations, stupidities such as "creationism is a legitimate scientific theory" don't pop up ever so often.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Realm of Coffeecakes
Secretary

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Realm of Coffeecakes » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 am

Geneviev wrote:

I completely agree with this, but all theories should be taught. Not just intelligent design, but creation too.

Exactly :)

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:13 am

I wish to know what natural phenomena, big or small this creationism dogma explains satisfactorily.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:14 am

Geneviev wrote:I completely agree with this, but all theories should be taught. Not just intelligent design, but creation too.

Good to know someone agrees. :)
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:15 am

Geneviev wrote:

Creationism is not a scientific theory anymore than healing crystals or chakras are valid medicine. Schools exist to teach students important facts, it's not a platform for evangelists to spread misinformation and claim outright lies like the earth being 6000 years old.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:21 am

Hanafuridake wrote:

Creationism isn't a theory. It can't even be called a hypothesis, as there's no way to test it.

And what "answers" would students even get from it other than "because God"?
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:40 am

Wayneactia wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Not really. You’re essentially pulling an ‘I don’t know, ergo God’ argument.

No I'm not.

Yes you very much are.

I stated from the beginning it was my belief. You have yours, I have mine. The difference is, I am not going out of my way to shit on yours.You can't say the same.

‘Just a theory’ followed by blatant ignorance of what a scientific theory actually is.

Verily, thine hypocrisy is showing.

Also, I never once stated it believe in "God". I said I believe there is likely a higher power.

Irrelevant. You’re still pulling the same argument.

For all we know, we are in a fucking snow globe sitting on some aliens desk. Or a laboratory experiment. I can't prove this is the case, can you prove it isn't?

I don’t need to. In the absence of evidence supporting your positive statement, we must logically hold the negation to be true.

They still don't know what caused the Big Bang.

At least we’re honest about it.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:41 am

Hanafuridake wrote:

Creationism is not a theory. It barely qualifies as idle speculation.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 am

Hanafuridake wrote:

"Intelligent Design" isn't a theory it does not even contain the minimal elements to even constitute vying for being a theory. It offers no mechanism that can be tested. It's a set of religiously motivated assertions which have so far continued to fail at falsifying theories of evolution.
Last edited by Tekania on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Such heroic nonsense!

Estanglia
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Estanglia » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:54 am

Hanafuridake wrote:

We should only be teaching things that have evidence for them.

A school shouldn't be telling people that a theory with zero evidence and a theory that has all the evidence we have backing it are in any way equal. That would be lying to the students, a worse crime than not covering evidenceless theories.
Yeah: Egalitarianism, equality
Meh: Labour, the EU
Nah: pointless discrimination, authoritarianism, Brexit, Trump, both American parties, the Conservatives
I flop between "optimistic about the future" and "pessimistic about the future" every time I go on NSG.

(Taken 29/08/2020)
Political compass test:
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

8values thinks I'm a Libertarian Socialist.

Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Estanglia wrote:

A school shouldn't be telling people that a theory with zero evidence and a theory that has all the evidence we have backing it are in any way equal. That would be lying to the students, a worse crime than not covering evidenceless theories.

It's a mistake attaching "theory" to it in the first place. It gives it an air of scientific credibility that it completely lacks. Intelligent Design does not even contain the most basic elements to even be considered candidate for a theory.
Such heroic nonsense!

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Tekania wrote:
Estanglia wrote:

It's a mistake attaching "theory" to it in the first place. It gives it an air of scientific credibility that it completely lacks. Intelligent Design does not even contain the most basic elements to even be considered candidate for a theory.

The cdesign proponentsists intended it that way.

(cookie if you get the reference)

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Geneviev wrote:

Good to know someone agrees. :)

That’s like getting approval from Richard Spencer about your paper on genetics.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:34 pm

Wayneactia wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Not really. You’re essentially pulling an ‘I don’t know, ergo God’ argument.

No I'm not. I stated from the beginning it was my belief. You have yours, I have mine. The difference is, I am not going out of my way to shit on yours.You can't say the same. Also, I never once stated it believe in "God". I said I believe there is likely a higher power. For all we know, we are in a fucking snow globe sitting on some aliens desk. Or a laboratory experiment. I can't prove this is the case, can you prove it isn't? They still don't know what caused the Big Bang.

Who's to say who is right? Guess one will have to wait until they die to really know, now won't we? I am not really in in hurry to find out, but the wait IMO will be worth it.

The reason we do not know what happened to cause the Big Bang is because our understanding of the universe is based on the laws of physics, and the laws of physics of our universe did not come into existence until after the Big Bang. Electrons, protons, and neutrons did not yet exist. Gravity, electromagnetism, the strong force, and the weak force were not yet distinct phenomena. Time as we know it was not as it is now. We do not lack an explanation because there is no scientific answer, we lack an explanation because we do not have the means to investigate. That is no reason to assume there is a "higher power."
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:43 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:

Indeed. Design by Flying Spaghetti Monster is completely equal and deserves equal time.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General