NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] (Non) Quiet hours

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Kesvksa
Civilian

Founded: Jun 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] (Non) Quiet hours

Postby Kesvksa » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:02 am

A new law about the quiet hours. A solution about how can we make the people quiet again.

Description: At 13:00 till 17:00 pm and at 23:30 pm till 7:00 am the very loud noise will be disallowed.

REQUIRE:

A) After theese hours, very loud music in bars will be disallowed.
B) Bars that open after midnight will be disallowed.
C) All concerts and lives will take place out of the town.
D) Public workers won't be working on these hours.
E) You can't play music on these hours.
F) Military exercises won't be on these hours.
G) If something "loud" happens on these hours, we will let you know.
H) If the police find somebody disturbing, it will be a fine and the cityzens can sue him.

If you agree, contact.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:23 am

Kesvksa wrote:A new law about the quiet hours. A solution about how can we make the people quiet again.

Description: At 13:00 till 17:00 pm and at 23:30 pm till 7:00 am the very loud noise will be disallowed.

REQUIRE:

H) If the police find somebody disturbing, it will be a fine and the cityzens can sue him.

If you agree, contact.

OOC: Welcome to the World Assembly! Congratulations on choosing to come here to draft first, which many first-timers do not. While it is clear what you want to achieve with the proposal, its formatting is not quite standard; I suggest you look into passed resolutions to get a feeling about that.
Also, every proposal needs a Category and Strength or Area of Effect. For this and other rules-related questions, confer here.

No to the proposal itself. While the aim of combatting noise-pollution is commendable, the proposal is quite unclear in many cases. For example, nowhere does it say what constitutes 'loud' or 'very loud' noises.

In clause B, why should the noise be allowed 'out of the town'? Surely people live there, as well, and even more important, wildlife that might be even more disturbed by noise. Also, clauses B and E seem to contradict - or does B mean that concerts should only ever happen out of town, not only during the quiet hours?

Also, clauses D and H contradict, as how would the police find someone disturbing the quiet if they are not allowed to work? I suggest modifying clause D so as to not include emergency workers like police, firefighters, doctors, nurses, and the like.

There is probably more to say here, but these were the points that caught my eye on the first read.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

East Meranopirus
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby East Meranopirus » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:08 am

This might sound harsh, but I don't see this having any chance of passing even if its writing is improved. You see, noise regulations, and specifically, quiet hours, are more of a national issue than an international issue, which is what the World Assembly legislates on. It's hard to explain exactly what the World Assembly does and doesn't legislate on, and perhaps the best way is to read the passed resolutions that is linked in the post above mine.

Beyond that, if you choose to have another crack at writing a proposal, you should read the passed resolutions and the rules that New Nordic Union has linked in the post above, and read them very carefully, because there are an abundance of errors in this proposals that need to be fixed, and hopefully won't be present in your next proposal.

WayNeacTia
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WayNeacTia » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:49 am

Kesvksa wrote:A new law about the quiet hours. A solution about how can we make the people quiet again.

REQUIRE:

If you agree, contact.

Somehow, I don't believe that noise bylaws are something an international organization would care about.
Sarcasm dispensed moderately.
RiderSyl wrote:You'd really think that defenders would communicate with each other about this. I know they're not a hivemind, but at least some level of PR skill would keep Quebecshire and Quebecshire from publically contradicting eac

wait

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:27 am

OOC: Why does the 13:00-17:00 "quiet time" even exist? That's usually when schools let kids out and when the rush hour starts. To require quietness then is... insane.

Also I think A) means "during" instead of "after"? And who's the "we" in G)?

Like others have already said, this is a no-go for international laws. This is at most a city-level problem, if that. Hell, the quiet time during the night can be set separately per apartment building.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:57 am

"This isn't an international issue. It isn't even a national issue. At best, it is a local government issue. At worse, its a neighborhood issue. Opposed to the core concept."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The Sheika
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Sheika » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:10 am

This is nowhere near the level of an international issue. This reads more like a town charter...at best an upper class neighborhood whose residents could use a little bit of lightening up. Other than that, opposed on the grounds of absurdity. No public workers during those hours? I mean, I can understand between 2330 to 0700, but 1300 to 1700? That doesn't really make sense. Also, no military exercises during those hours? I suppose you haven't heard the term "Train as you fight"; military conflict can happen at any time of day, quiet hours or not, so it would be in the best interest of any military force to train at various times of day or night. I'd comment more, but this just doesn't seem like something the General Assembly should handle.
Colonel Johnathan "Jack" Austin, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Department of International Affairs
Militaristic Federation of the Sheika
Regional Delegate of Absolution

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 am

I have to go with the consensus here. This whole thing looks very arbitrary and counterproductive, a veritable roadmap to “one-size-fits-nobody”. I do not see how this would be of benefit to anybody, and in fact could well be extremely detrimental to most everybody.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly