NATION

PASSWORD

Why live on the moon?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Why live on the moon?

Postby Hatterleigh » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 am

Space exploration has been a bit of a hot topic ever since NASA announced that they're heading to the moon again, and a lot of people are envisioning functioning space colonies in upcoming decades, with permanent or at least long time residents. And while many problems have been brought up, one has seldom been brought up. If you were to live on the moon, it might be exciting for the first 6 months or so, but eventually, the excitement will fade away, and you'll be living on a baron, gray rock for the rest of your life, either in a small habitat or in a bulky suit. You will suffer severe muscular atrophy, bone weakening, to a point where earth gravity would challenge you greatly. One of the most important factors is, It would be a constant night time, with the sun peaking out every day but no blue or bright sky of any kind to greet it, which could lead to tiredness, sadness, and hunger. There will likely be constant work and caution. With all this, the eternal night, the lack of the world humans brains evolved to feel comfort in, the feeling of isolation, the inability to walk outside without armor, and the health risks like radiation and muscular atrophy, it seems like life on the moon or europa or even mars to a lesser extent would be incredibly hard for many to manage.

What do you guys think? Would you live on mars? Do you think these factors will come into play in the near future?
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:48 am

Hatterleigh wrote:Space exploration has been a bit of a hot topic ever since NASA announced that they're heading to the moon again, and a lot of people are envisioning functioning space colonies in upcoming decades, with permanent or at least long time residents. And while many problems have been brought up, one has seldom been brought up. If you were to live on the moon, it might be exciting for the first 6 months or so, but eventually, the excitement will fade away, and you'll be living on a baron, gray rock for the rest of your life, either in a small habitat or in a bulky suit. You will suffer severe muscular atrophy, bone weakening, to a point where earth gravity would challenge you greatly. One of the most important factors is, It would be a constant night time, with the sun peaking out every day but no blue or bright sky of any kind to greet it, which could lead to tiredness, sadness, and hunger. There will likely be constant work and caution. With all this, the eternal night, the lack of the world humans brains evolved to feel comfort in, the feeling of isolation, the inability to walk outside without armor, and the health risks like radiation and muscular atrophy, it seems like life on the moon or europa or even mars to a lesser extent would be incredibly hard for many to manage.

What do you guys think? Would you live on mars? Do you think these factors will come into play in the near future?

You act like the environment on Earth doesn't make people miserable. I already want to walk around in a sealed armor suit but people look at me funny if I do.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:48 am

Supposedly it is fair to assume that crews would shift every six months or so, as it happens today with manned orbital spaceflight. Which would somehow migitate some of the issues of permanently living on the moon. And of course it is hard, but sacrifices need to be made by daring individuals for the betterment on a future for all of us.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 am

Bragging rights.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Amenedes
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Amenedes » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:57 am

The thing is, though, and many people seem to not think this when they say "I'd love to leave this planet and go to Mars!" which is that they would be there for the rest of their lives. Also, there's a very good chance you'll die there, too.
People should be treated exactly the way I would want to be treated, had I been in their place.

Things to keep in mind:
(1) Things are much more complicated and endlessly interconnected than people think.
(2) Current politics, and the United States, are just here for the time being. Remember, the United State will not be here in 1,000 years. So treat each other well now, while you still have a chance to change things for the better.
(3) Unfortunately, religion is a load of crap. God does not exist. Policies must be made for humans here and now.

Pro-LGBT | Anti-Facist | Pro-Gun | Free Education for All | Pro-Immigrant
Pro-Clean Water Solutions | Freedom of Expression | Trust Busting | Health as a Human Right

Wyvelo Plinth
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Wyvelo Plinth » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:58 am

I don’t see the problem re: the environment. I live in my head, deriving great pleasure from complex and colorful visualizations, both artistic and worldly. The entertainments that I consider best are virtual constructs that would still be accessible. My favorite food is already a nutrient slurry, haha. I enjoy cramped spaces, darkness, and isolation.

I don’t have the connections to get anywhere close to off-world colonization, although I want it, but humanity does have people with preference structures like mine.

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:04 am

Living on either the moon or Mars would be pretty fuckin’ baller. I prefer Mars though if only for the Warhammer memes.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Barfleur
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Barfleur » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:08 am

I am a big proponent of terraforming parts of the moon and mars and opening those regions to human settlement. However, I believe a large chunk of mars and the moon should be left uninhabited and unchanged, to preserve the natural beauty of space.
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Edmure Norfield
Military Attaché: Colonel Lyndon Q. Ralston
Author, GA#597, GA#605, GA#609, GA#668, and GA#685.
Co-author, GA#534.
The Barfleurian World Assembly Mission may be found at Suite 59, South-West Building, WAHQ.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:09 am

Get those lamps like people use for seasonal-affective disorder.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:18 am

Ors Might wrote:Living on either the moon or Mars would be pretty fuckin’ baller. I prefer Mars though if only for the Warhammer memes.

Praise the Omnissiah.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Postby Hatterleigh » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:33 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Hatterleigh wrote:Space exploration has been a bit of a hot topic ever since NASA announced that they're heading to the moon again, and a lot of people are envisioning functioning space colonies in upcoming decades, with permanent or at least long time residents. And while many problems have been brought up, one has seldom been brought up. If you were to live on the moon, it might be exciting for the first 6 months or so, but eventually, the excitement will fade away, and you'll be living on a baron, gray rock for the rest of your life, either in a small habitat or in a bulky suit. You will suffer severe muscular atrophy, bone weakening, to a point where earth gravity would challenge you greatly. One of the most important factors is, It would be a constant night time, with the sun peaking out every day but no blue or bright sky of any kind to greet it, which could lead to tiredness, sadness, and hunger. There will likely be constant work and caution. With all this, the eternal night, the lack of the world humans brains evolved to feel comfort in, the feeling of isolation, the inability to walk outside without armor, and the health risks like radiation and muscular atrophy, it seems like life on the moon or europa or even mars to a lesser extent would be incredibly hard for many to manage.

You act like the environment on Earth doesn't make people miserable. I already want to walk around in a sealed armor suit but people look at me funny if I do.

The urban environment we have created does, but to less of an extent that I imagine the moon would. Also it would get annoying fast.

Barfleur wrote:I am a big proponent of terraforming parts of the moon and mars and opening those regions to human settlement. However, I believe a large chunk of mars and the moon should be left uninhabited and unchanged, to preserve the natural beauty of space.

Terraforming would take centuries, if not millennia.
Last edited by Hatterleigh on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:35 am

Hatterleigh wrote:

The urban environment we have created does, but to less of an extent that I imagine the moon would. Also it would get annoying fast.

I live in the country, not an Urban Area.

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:38 am

Barfleur wrote:I am a big proponent of terraforming parts of the moon and mars and opening those regions to human settlement. However, I believe a large chunk of mars and the moon should be left uninhabited and unchanged, to preserve the natural beauty of space.

It's space. There's so much of it and so many more billions of rocks floating around in it that deliberately leaving any significant portion of two of the closest rocks to us undeveloped to 'preserve' them is a severely misguided proposal.

Hatterleigh wrote:Terraforming would take centuries, if not millennia.

Creating civilisation took millennia. Should we not have bothered?
Last edited by Kragholm Free States on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly New Aerios, Est. 2012.
I don't use NS stats, here's my perpetually WIP factbooks.
Obligatory Political Compass:
Econ: 3.88 (R), Soc: -4.97 (L)
Civil Libertarian, Monarchist, Decentralist, Economic Localist, Englishman.
Old posts not necessarily representative of current views.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Postby Hatterleigh » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:38 am

Hatterleigh wrote:The urban environment we have created does, but to less of an extent that I imagine the moon would. Also it would get annoying fast.

I live in the country, not an Urban Area.

Well then I don't know what's not to like on a visual level, that's just your preference. Space doesn't have color, symmetry, patterns, details like earth does, which are things our eyes will always crave because it's a sign that things are right how they should be in nature.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Postby Hatterleigh » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:39 am

USS Monitor wrote:Get those lamps like people use for seasonal-affective disorder.

Lol, my mom has one of those

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:56 am

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:57 am

Because we got to get that Sweet sweet Typhon material
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:03 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Because we got to get that Sweet sweet Typhon material

And Helium 3.

Amenedes
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Amenedes » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:06 am

I feel as if space was meant to be explored/occupied by humans. Of course, naturally, we'll fuck that up, too.
People should be treated exactly the way I would want to be treated, had I been in their place.

Things to keep in mind:
(1) Things are much more complicated and endlessly interconnected than people think.
(2) Current politics, and the United States, are just here for the time being. Remember, the United State will not be here in 1,000 years. So treat each other well now, while you still have a chance to change things for the better.
(3) Unfortunately, religion is a load of crap. God does not exist. Policies must be made for humans here and now.

Pro-Clean Water Solutions | Freedom of Expression | Trust Busting | Health as a Human Right

Wyvelo Plinth
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Wyvelo Plinth » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:06 am

Off-world living would be an excellent scientific endeavor for humanity. An off-world settlement would be like living in a hospital in some ways; everyone would be observed, and honest reconciliation of everything that goes wrong would be demanded. Humanity may someday have anarchic space settlements, but it won’t have them FIRST. The first settlements will be watched closely and painstakingly optimized. In all likelihood they will have near-zero rates of assault and sexual harassment. The first settlements will also likely encourage hypochondriac medical checking due to the sheer need to gather medical data, though the desirability of this behavior will fall off over time.

I’m a pacifist. The likelihood of a pacific environment is a major draw to me. In space, no more would people have the luxury of splintering apart into violent rages. Again, at least for the first settlements, though founder effects could produce a LOT of cultural inertia on that.
Last edited by Wyvelo Plinth on Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amenedes
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Amenedes » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:10 am

I have a question: do you guys think that capitalism will inevitably follow us when we explore and inhabit other planets? How will we delineate countries? Will they be the same thing, say, on Mars?

Things to keep in mind:

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:11 am

Resources. People living on the moon with the capability to mine for minerals would be set for life. There are thought to be rare earth elements in certain parts of the moon, as well as gold and platinum, with the possibility of diamonds as well. And of course Helium-3 as others have mentioned.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Jar Jar Jar of Jar Jar
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Jar Jar Jar of Jar Jar » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:12 am

Escapism
The ever so slightly evil puppet of Stellar Colonies.

Wyvelo Plinth
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Wyvelo Plinth » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:13 am

https://www.popsci.com/mars-soil-bricks/

I would be willing to pound bricks on Mars. If there are better jobs, that’s just icing. To live in a peaceful, distant place ensconced in a high technological sounds too good to be true.

Amenedes
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Amenedes » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:14 am

The New California Republic wrote:Resources. People living on the moon with the capability to mine for minerals would be set for life. There are thought to be rare earth elements in certain parts of the moon, as well as gold and platinum, with the possibility of diamonds as well. And of course Helium-3 as others have mentioned.

Maybe we'll find Spice on some planet and then Dune will come true :lol2:

Things to keep in mind:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General