NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft 1] Birth Rights

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Woods Is Back
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Draft 1] Birth Rights

Postby Woods Is Back » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:44 am

This is a true story, and thought that it would be a good issue. I don't know that I like the name, and I'm open to suggestions. Please also check out this issue that I'm writing.
Title- Birth Rights

Validity- Has courts, has sex

The Issue- 27 year old @@DENONYM@@, @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, is suing his parents for giving birth to him without his consent. An odd conglomerate of, parents, flamenco dancers, and the man in question have come to advise you on this issue.

Option 1- "@@LEADER@@, I would like to let the world know that they do not owe their parents anything," says the man in question, @@NAME@@. "Children should not have to do anything for their parents unless they want to, and more importantly, parents should pay for their children to live. This is because we've been born without our consent, and the only redemption for our parents is to set us up for life."
O1 Fallout- trash can be seen piling up around elderly people homes, as their children refuse to take care of it

Option 2- "My son clearly has a point," says the mans mother, @@RANDOMFELMALENAME@@. "But how are we supposed to ask consent, if they aren't even born yet? And even if our children heard us, how would they reply? @@LEADER@@ do @@NATIONNAME@@ a favor, and do not listen to my son."
O2 Fallout- the disrespect of adults has dropped drastically

Option 3- "@@LEADER@@, we've said it before, and we're gonna say it again- but out of marriage and sex." Growls angry flamenco dancer, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@. "If @@NATIONNAME@@ is going to continue to grow and thrive, peple should be able to get married and have kids at their will."
O3 Fallout- the population is rising faster than it ever has before
Last edited by Woods Is Back on Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Woods Is Back wrote:"@@LEADER@@, I would like to let the world know that they do not owe their parents anything," says the man in question, @@NAME@@. "Children should not have to do anything for their parents unless they want to,"
Were these parents actually trying to make their children do anything? (Especially at the age of 27?) That's missing from the narrative, and it makes no sense to complain about something that wasn't happening.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Option 1, paid the child to exist? Isn't that what paying for their food, housing and clothing is for? Also, what's the difference between options 2 & 3

Trotterdam wrote:
Woods Is Back wrote:"@@LEADER@@, I would like to let the world know that they do not owe their parents anything," says the man in question, @@NAME@@. "Children should not have to do anything for their parents unless they want to,"
Were these parents actually trying to make their children do anything? (Especially at the age of 27?) That's missing from the narrative, and it makes no sense to complain about something that wasn't happening.

This happened in real life:
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-india-47154287
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:52 am

I remember that case. I don't think it made it to court, it was just the guy promoting his belief system, a cheap PR stunt.

It'd be good to have an option acknowledge that.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:16 am

Option 1- uh, you do pay your child. You feed him, give him clothing and shelter
Option 3- Isn't that the dismiss button?
Option 2- how is this different to option 3?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:02 pm

What in the world is a flamenco dancer....?

Cue Chan going to watch a few videos of flamenco dances.

...and how are they relevant?! Even more importantly, how is this character at all giving any kind of indication that that's what they are? Show, don't tell.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Return to Got Issues?