NATION

PASSWORD

[submitted]A Prodigious Parade Predicament

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

[submitted]A Prodigious Parade Predicament

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:49 am

conditions: must be open to other nations/states (not an isolationist nation), have public transit/roads, police services

Following @@CAPITAL@@'s unexpected victory in the WCBA (World Calvinball Association) Finals, the first championship @@NAME@@ has experienced on a global stage in some time, millions of people descended upon the city to celebrate in a hastily planned parade and rally. The results: the 3 hour parade took nearly 7 hours, people passed out from heat, and mass chaos on public transit and roads. Subsequently, various officials meet to autopsy the event.

1). "I can't emphasize what a disaster this was!" decries chief city planner @@RANDOMNAME@@, still peeling the garbage from off @@HIS@@ shoes. "We had three days to plan this - THREE DAYS! We must ensure that in future, all public celebrations, no matter how big or small, go through a rigorous and long permit process, have strategically placed medical and police services, and adequate public bathrooms - have you been to @@ANIMAL@@ Square? It STILL smells like...tinkle!"

Effect: children's birthday parties take weeks of meticulous planning and require emergency services to be present.

2). "Far too weak," grumbles notorious police sergeant @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Bottom line: lack of security. Our barriers were tossed aside by these calvinball hooligans, they swamped the roads on the parade route, and people were attacked near the main stage. Any large public gathering must be cordoned off, with limited number of wrist-bands issued to the public, and metal detectors and other scrutinies in place. Never again shall we let this travesty occur to our fair city!"

Effect: sports fans wanting to celebrate team victories in large numbers are confronted by fully armed riot squad officers.

3). "What my esteemed colleagues fail to realize, is that this was a failure - I mean, a lapse - of the public transit system," bemoans big-wig public transit official @@RANDOMNAME@@, fondling a model of a much-delayed Bumbardeeair subway car. "Do you think our system is up to handling an extra million people on a single day, all trying to crowd into one area of the city? NO! Because YOUR government, @@LEADER@@, has failed to put the proper infrastructure in place! You know what to do..." @@HE@@ suggestively rubs his fingers together to insinuate "money."

Effect: the annual @@NAME@@ Parade in @@CAPITAL@@ is snarled by 24-hour construction crews frantically building new lines.

4). "The city planner is right," mumbles perennial party pooper and professional curmudgeon @@RANDOMNAME@@, one of your office cleaners. "@@ANIMAL@@ Square DOES smell like tinkle, and worse. My buddies had to spend hours cleaning up all that crap, LITERALLY, and for what, a bunch of punks skipping work and celebrating a bunch of millionaires who happen to be good at calvinball? Ban parades. Ban calvinball. Ban fun. Ban me. Oh...wait a minute."

Effect: @@NAME@@ is renowned across @@REGION@@ for its prolific napping and bench-lined parks.

EDIT: removed the issue 1234 bit, I misunderstood; so yeah, removed.
EDIT: renamed NCA to WCBA so people know it's a global type event, cleaned up some wording in the intro.
EDIT: removed an option and tried to clean things up a bit more via snipping.
SUBMITTED: 07/05/19
Last edited by Lancaster of Wessex on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:25 am, edited 9 times in total.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:52 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:Following your nation's resounding if not unexpected victory in the NCA (National Calvinball Association) Finals, the first championship @@NAME@@ has experienced on a global stage in some time, millions of people descended upon @@CAPITAL@@ to celebrate.

Why is a global competition run by the National Calvinball Association?
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:57 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:
Lancaster of Wessex wrote:Following your nation's resounding if not unexpected victory in the NCA (National Calvinball Association) Finals, the first championship @@NAME@@ has experienced on a global stage in some time, millions of people descended upon @@CAPITAL@@ to celebrate.

It's a play on the NBA, clearly.
Lancaster.

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:13 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
The Sherpa Empire wrote:

NBA teams don't represent different nations.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:48 pm

City smells like urine? Too much heat? Just host the parade in winter. Problem solved

Now, snow might make public transport matters worse. Oops!
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:58 pm

The Sherpa Empire wrote:

Toronto Raptors...
Besides,
Lots of national sports comps have international teams. The National Rugby League has the Warriors, the National Baskball League has the Breakers,British Super League has the French team(s?)
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:36 pm

I have no idea who Nathan Phillips is, and there certainly isn't a square named after this person (whoever he is) in my nation. I would change it to @@LEADER@@ square.

Option 2: three people were shot. This would require an 'allows guns' validity, also it's a bit of a stretch that fans of the same team are going around shooting their fellow supporters. Sports violence is usually rival teams having a bit of a punch up, then legging it when the coppers show up!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:16 pm

Baggieland wrote:I have no idea who Nathan Phillips is, and there certainly isn't a square named after this person (whoever he is) in my nation. I would change it to @@LEADER@@ square.

Option 2: three people were shot. This would require an 'allows guns' validity, also it's a bit of a stretch that fans of the same team are going around shooting their fellow supporters. Sports violence is usually rival teams having a bit of a punch up, then legging it when the coppers show up!

In a democracy, I don't see why @@LEADER@@ would be important enough to have a place named after him. For example, in the USA, there is no Obama Square, or Trump Towers... okay, there are Trump Towers, but they pre-date the president's political carer.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:02 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Sherpa Empire wrote:

Toronto Raptors...
Besides,
Lots of national sports comps have international teams. The National Rugby League has the Warriors, the National Baskball League has the Breakers,British Super League has the French team(s?)

Those are still local teams. They do not represent the whole nation where they are located.

If the Toronto Raptors win something, you wouldn't say Canada won. You would say Toronto won.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:59 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Toronto Raptors...
Besides,

Those are still local teams. They do not represent the whole nation where they are located.

If the Toronto Raptors win something, you wouldn't say Canada won. You would say Toronto won.

Except for the NRL, where the New Zealand Warriors (and the Papua New Guinea too, if they ever got do a team) represent their whole country, and this is a local competition, where Sydney, a single city, has 9 teams, and every represented city has a single team. You say that City X won, not Australia, but yet, you say that NZ won too. And the NBL, Where it's a local comp, each city has a team, but the Breakers represent all of New Zealand. And their just the sports I know about. I'm sure there are others that have one foreign team representing the whole country
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:47 am

How does this issue relate to 1234?
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:39 am

Why have "NCA (National Calvinball Association)"? Just simply have the name of it and not the abbreviation. Also, how does this relate to 1234?

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 am

Baggieland wrote:I have no idea who Nathan Phillips is, and there certainly isn't a square named after this person (whoever he is) in my nation. I would change it to @@LEADER@@ square.

Thank you for the suggestions, they are duly noted. I changed it to @@ANIMAL@@ Square instead, since not all leaders may be adored by their populace, and I've changed "shot" to "attacked," just to make it more vague, so, no gun validity required. Cleans it up a bit! Thank you!
Lancaster.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:28 am

Krogon wrote:Why have "NCA (National Calvinball Association)"? Just simply have the name of it and not the abbreviation. Also, how does this relate to 1234?

Again, it's a play on the NBA, so "in character" most everyone would have heard of the NCA, but I've typed it out in long-hand just for clarity's sake in real life. And I've removed the 1234 bit, I misunderstood.
Lancaster.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:13 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:

Except for the NRL, where the New Zealand Warriors (and the Papua New Guinea too, if they ever got do a team) represent their whole country, and this is a local competition, where Sydney, a single city, has 9 teams, and every represented city has a single team. You say that City X won, not Australia, but yet, you say that NZ won too. And the NBL, Where it's a local comp, each city has a team, but the Breakers represent all of New Zealand. And their just the sports I know about. I'm sure there are others that have one foreign team representing the whole country

It sounds dumb to say your nation won something "national." The examples you gave are the exception not the rule, none of those examples are global competitions, and it's something that only smaller countries would be likely to do. If you have cities like Toronto and Vancouver that are very far from each other, it doesn't make sense that one team could represent both in a "national" sports league.

Wouldn't CHANGING THE DAMN NAME fix this much more efficiently than doing all these mental gymnastics to rationalize it?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:27 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Except for the NRL, where the New Zealand Warriors (and the Papua New Guinea too, if they ever got do a team) represent their whole country, and this is a local competition, where Sydney, a single city, has 9 teams, and every represented city has a single team. You say that City X won, not Australia, but yet, you say that NZ won too. And the NBL, Where it's a local comp, each city has a team, but the Breakers represent all of New Zealand. And their just the sports I know about. I'm sure there are others that have one foreign team representing the whole country

It sounds dumb to say your nation won something "national." The examples you gave are the exception not the rule, none of those examples are global competitions, and it's something that only smaller countries would be likely to do. If you have cities like Toronto and Vancouver that are very far from each other, it doesn't make sense that one team could represent both in a "national" sports league.

Wouldn't CHANGING THE DAMN NAME fix this much more efficiently than doing all these mental gymnastics to rationalize it?

I'm sorry, but could you please enlighten me about how an Australian thinking about Australian sporting competitons qualifies as mental gymnastics. I live in Australia, where all our neighbours are tiny and far away. ALL OF THEM. Therefore, any sporting competition in Australia with international representation will have representation in small countries. And NZ's one of them, whereby the South Island is far from the North Island, (Wellington to Queenstown is an hour and a half flight), and there are 1 million people in the South Island, with 3.7 million on the North Island, therefore, it would be easy for the Warriors or the Breakers to represent just the North Island. By comparison, the Cowboys represent Townsville, a city of fewer than 200k. Now, if an American sporting competitoon had more than 2 Canadian teams, me would hardly qualify that as 'national'. And why can't we assume that @@NAME@@ is tiny?

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:50 am

In a democracy, I don't see why @@LEADER@@ would be important enough to have a place named after him. For example, in the USA, there is no Obama Square, or Trump Towers... okay, there are Trump Towers, but they pre-date the president's political carer.

Her Majesty has quite a few places named after her! But that's obviously different. The @@ANIMAL@@ square thing works, although I would probably omit it. It doesn't add much and the issue seems fairly long already.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:57 am

Great Nortend wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:In a democracy, I don't see why @@LEADER@@ would be important enough to have a place named after him. For example, in the USA, there is no Obama Square, or Trump Towers... okay, there are Trump Towers, but they pre-date the president's political carer.

Her Majesty has quite a few places named after her! But that's obviously different. The @@ANIMAL@@ square thing works, although I would probably omit it. It doesn't add much and the issue seems fairly long already.

Even then, there aren't too many things named after specific monarchs

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:08 am

If the nation hasn't won the competition in a long time, then why would there be a preparation for a parade? I'd omit that and just say that after the unexpected win millions of people took to the streets to celebrate and it caused chaos, which is something that regularly happens.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:44 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:

I'm sorry, but could you please enlighten me about how an Australian thinking about Australian sporting competitons qualifies as mental gymnastics. I live in Australia, where all our neighbours are tiny and far away. ALL OF THEM. Therefore, any sporting competition in Australia with international representation will have representation in small countries. And NZ's one of them, whereby the South Island is far from the North Island, (Wellington to Queenstown is an hour and a half flight), and there are 1 million people in the South Island, with 3.7 million on the North Island, therefore, it would be easy for the Warriors or the Breakers to represent just the North Island. By comparison, the Cowboys represent Townsville, a city of fewer than 200k. Now, if an American sporting competitoon had more than 2 Canadian teams, me would hardly qualify that as 'national'. And why can't we assume that @@NAME@@ is tiny?

Are you seriously still arguing this shit at the same time that you pretend @@LEADER@@ Square is unrealistic? Seriously?

You're an Australian and you're arguing for something that happens in NZ, not Australia. It's mental gymnastics. And we can't assume @@NAME@@ is tiny because NS stats say I have 3 billion people, and most other players also have large populations.

The name of the league needs to be changed to something that will make sense for most people, not just a select few that based their nations on New Zealand.

EDIT: @@ANIMAL@@ Square is fine, BTW. There's no reason it has to be @@LEADER@@.
Last edited by The Sherpa Empire on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:30 am

Sometimes I think you focus too much on finding something to niggle.

Yes. We name places after our Presidents. Our capital is Washington, D.C. Other nations apparently like naming things after our Presidents too; see Barack Obama Plaza. Even if the US didn't, its not a huge stretch to think someone might.

Please bring the conversation back to improving the issue at hand and less to arguing over minor details.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Chan Island wrote:If the nation hasn't won the competition in a long time, then why would there be a preparation for a parade? I'd omit that and just say that after the unexpected win millions of people took to the streets to celebrate and it caused chaos, which is something that regularly happens.

There was not enough preparation, that's the whole point of the issue. In option 1, it's made clear by the city planner that they had only 3 days to plan for it.
Lancaster.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Chan Island wrote:If the nation hasn't won the competition in a long time, then why would there be a preparation for a parade? I'd omit that and just say that after the unexpected win millions of people took to the streets to celebrate and it caused chaos, which is something that regularly happens.

There was not enough preparation, that's the whole point of the issue. In option 1, it's made clear by the city planner that they had only 3 days to plan for it.

I think you're underestimating how spontaneous these celebrations are. When Iceland won an Olympic gold medal a few years ago, hundreds of residents were out celebrating on the streets of Reykjavik within minutes, not days, of the win.

Of course that incident wasn't too chaotic, but the point still stands. If nobody was expecting the nation to win the competition, how were there any preparations for a parade at all? And even if there were, in a such a situation the time lag between the win and people swarming city streets jubilating is precisely no time at all. So how were they even getting a parade underway before the mass chaos had gone underway?

The premise of this issue seems to suggest that a lot of citizens descended on the capital (presumably in cars or public transport) in the days following the win, but that's just not something that's very common. When England wins a national competition, people in Sheffield don't go "hey, let's celebrate in London!" and then immediately head off. They celebrate in their home town.
Last edited by Chan Island on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:22 pm

Chan Island wrote:

I think you're underestimating how spontaneous these celebrations are. When Iceland won an Olympic gold medal a few years ago, hundreds of residents were out celebrating on the streets of Reykjavik within minutes, not days, of the win.

Of course that incident wasn't too chaotic, but the point still stands. If nobody was expecting the nation to win the competition, how were there any preparations for a parade at all? And even if there were, in a such a situation the time lag between the win and people swarming city streets jubilating is precisely no time at all. So how were they even getting a parade underway before the mass chaos had gone underway?

The premise of this issue seems to suggest that a lot of citizens descended on the capital (presumably in cars or public transport) in the days following the win, but that's just not something that's very common. When England wins a national competition, people in Sheffield don't go "hey, let's celebrate in London!" and then immediately head off. They celebrate in their home town.

Allow me to clarify. This issue is a play on Toronto's recent NBA victory, which resulted in chaos in the downtown of the city, and was planned (allegedly) with only 3 days of prep work from the day they won the championship to the day the parade was held. This parade and event WAS planned by the city and the team's owners, so it wasn't a spontaneous gathering - it was a planned event, it just wasn't executed very well.
Lancaster.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:52 am

Was actually this a tournament whose structure meant that the team even having a reasonable chance of winning couldn't be foreseen before the last day, rather than one with a series of knockout rounds where progression through [at least, probably] quarter-finals & semi-finals would have given people increasing hope?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?