NATION

PASSWORD

The General Car Thread - The Facelift.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:57 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
The Two Jerseys wrote:The top-finishing Fords in GTE-Pro and GTE-Am have been disqualified.

On one hand, Bergmeister and Porsche wins now! On the other hand, it's a meh way to win and Joey Hand gets screwed, hometown driver friend of a friend etc.
Vassenor wrote:
It's not really a good idea when you're in an endurance race and need to make your tires last as long as possible though.

It serves the same function of warming the tires, you don't lose a lap by burning out the tires. The rule is in place because pit space is tight with 60 some odd entries across four categories and with cars fishtailing out there's too too much of a chance of injury.
Petrolheadia wrote:That's why I don't like LeMans. Fuel economy this, tires that, gas tank that...

Hahahaha...it's adorable that you think only Le Mans has those regulations. Apparently you've never watched any racing whatsoever. What a shock you're in for the day you discover Formula 1 rules...

Unsafe rejoin and not letting Mercedes win again. 5 second penalty.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:57 am

Siavash82ir wrote:
The Two Jerseys wrote:So yesterday I saw what looked like a Pontiac Fiero with Ferrari-style taillights. طراحی سایت

8)
Doing that Ferrari Fiero kit one part at a time?

The Two Jerseys wrote:So yesterday I saw what looked like a Pontiac Fiero with Ferrari-style taillights.

Doing that Ferrari Fiero kit one part at a time?

It was the obvious conclusion, apparently.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:34 am

Petrolheadia wrote:That's why I don't like LeMans. Fuel economy this, tires that, gas tank that...

Hahahaha...it's adorable that you think only Le Mans has those regulations. Apparently you've never watched any racing whatsoever. What a shock you're in for the day you discover Formula 1 rules...

I don't watch that either.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:43 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Hahahaha...it's adorable that you think only Le Mans has those regulations. Apparently you've never watched any racing whatsoever. What a shock you're in for the day you discover Formula 1 rules...

I don't watch that either.

You don't watch racing. You made that clear.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:34 am

Petrolheadia wrote:I don't watch that either.

You don't watch racing. You made that clear.

I don't watch much sport in general.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:46 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:The top-finishing Fords in GTE-Pro and GTE-Am have been disqualified.

On one hand, Bergmeister and Porsche wins now! On the other hand, it's a meh way to win and Joey Hand gets screwed, hometown driver friend of a friend etc.
Vassenor wrote:
It's not really a good idea when you're in an endurance race and need to make your tires last as long as possible though.

It serves the same function of warming the tires, you don't lose a lap by burning out the tires. The rule is in place because pit space is tight with 60 some odd entries across four categories and with cars fishtailing out there's too too much of a chance of injury.

As a fan of sports car, Can-Am, and F1 racing since the late 1960's. I have to opine that there are way too many rules in place these days. And yes, I know the sport is safer but it's not as much fun to watch. Back in the day, the fastest car with the best driver won. Stealing the win from Vettel in Montreal is but another example.
Last edited by Elwher on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Elwher wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:On one hand, Bergmeister and Porsche wins now! On the other hand, it's a meh way to win and Joey Hand gets screwed, hometown driver friend of a friend etc.

As a fan of sports car, Can-Am, and F1 racing since the late 1960's. I have to opine that there are way too many rules in place these days. And yes, I know the sport is safer but it's not as much fun to watch. Back in the day, the fastest car with the best driver won. Stealing the win from Vettel in Montreal is but another example.

Cars have been losing in tech forever, and there have been the Smokey Yunicks of the world trying to get around them just as long. That's where 'if you ain't winnin' they're cheating' comes from.

Though the hands in the air formula of Can-Am was great. But then it creates a situation where the deepest pockets win.

Patridam
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:Any more data on its contents?

Late 60s/early 70s looking "premium" cars, full and midsize. Patridian made. A page with an big photo in a nice setting for each model, along with a sort of emotional appeal description. Technical pages with standard features and engine selections at back. All created in Automation and photographed in BeamNG.

And that picture does not show the car well enough.

Hardly. There's a ton of 60s and 70s brochures with cover pages that don't show the car *at all*.
Lassiez Faire Capitalist / Libertarian
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

Elwher
Powerbroker

Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:09 pm

Elwher wrote:

Cars have been losing in tech forever, and there have been the Smokey Yunicks of the world trying to get around them just as long. That's where 'if you ain't winnin' they're cheating' comes from.

Though the hands in the air formula of Can-Am was great. But then it creates a situation where the deepest pockets win.

Sven there, remember the Chaparral issue, but I know what you are saying. Deepest pockets, yes, but they did make some great machines, did they not?

I have some problems with the tech restrictions, but I hate the driving restrictions even more. Vettel was just the latest example of a driver driving well but being penalized for it. He recovered, kept Hamilton from taking advantage of his error, and should have won the race.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Hahahaha...it's adorable that you think only Le Mans has those regulations. Apparently you've never watched any racing whatsoever. What a shock you're in for the day you discover Formula 1 rules...

Watching old Bathurst 1000 videos reminds me that the only reason (V8) Supercars have the rules they do is driver/team owners pushing existing rules.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Do I love this $430k? No. But I do love it.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:46 pm

I would probably avoid cars from the late 70s.
The build quality was usually quite poor.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:54 pm

Novus America wrote:

I would probably avoid cars from the late 70s.
The build quality was usually quite poor.

This is not an exceptional car by any stretch of the imagination. I'd skip it personally. 5k is asking a bit much for yet another GM rebadge of something or another.

And don't forget, it wasn't just build quality that was poor, but also material quality.
Eternally salty, quite tired, and perhaps looking for a brighter future.

Patridam
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Ah, that's barely a boat. Too narrow to count as truly yacht like.

Also, @NeoOasis and @NovusAmerica don't be too harsh to malaise cars. They're usually better than stereotypes will tell you. The GM E bodies like this are actually some of the better cars of the era depending on the engine.

Compare the Cadillac equivalent to this car and it's generally favorable review: https://youtu.be/vP3Y9WGYFJM
o the worst quality 70s America had to offer: https://youtu.be/zP9429qtWTc
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:51 pm

Patridam wrote:

Ah, that's barely a boat. Too narrow to count as truly yacht like.

Also, @NeoOasis and @NovusAmerica don't be too harsh to malaise cars. They're usually better than stereotypes will tell you. The GM E bodies like this are actually some of the better cars of the era depending on the engine.

Compare the Cadillac equivalent to this car and it's generally favorable review: https://youtu.be/vP3Y9WGYFJM
o the worst quality 70s America had to offer: https://youtu.be/zP9429qtWTc

I've driven a few cars from the era, and I was left less than impressed. I can confirm the thing was down on power, out on build quality, and the materials didn't feel spectacular. Saying the mailaise era cars were not that bad still points to them being mediocre at best.

Patridam
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 pm

NeoOasis wrote:I've driven a few cars from the era, and I was left less than impressed. I can confirm the thing was down on power, out on build quality, and the materials didn't feel spectacular. Saying the mailaise era cars were not that bad still points to them being mediocre at best.

I've driven many malaise cars, but I've also driven a few pre-malaise e.g. 1960s cars. Most of them were short on power and all had either poor materials quality and/or fit and finish, not really any better than the malaise cars, though the equivalent malaise cars were more efficient and easier to handle.

All classic cars are lousy by modern objective standards, 70s/80s cars are neither an exception to the rule nor any worse about it. What's your point?
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Patridam wrote:
NeoOasis wrote:I've driven a few cars from the era, and I was left less than impressed. I can confirm the thing was down on power, out on build quality, and the materials didn't feel spectacular. Saying the mailaise era cars were not that bad still points to them being mediocre at best.

I've driven many malaise cars, but I've also driven a few pre-malaise e.g. 1960s cars. Most of them were short on power and all had either poor materials quality and/or fit and finish, not really any better than the malaise cars, though the equivalent malaise cars were more efficient and easier to handle.

All classic cars are lousy by modern objective standards, 70s/80s cars are neither an exception to the rule nor any worse about it. What's your point?

My point is I personally find that era fairly crap and I don't feel I'm being too harsh on them at all. If we want to drag older cars into this, I'll grant you fit and finish wasn't brilliant for American cars, but there was far more style than the box on a box within a box of the 70s and early 80s. And despite being a decade or so newer, cars of the 70s were strangled on power thanks to lazy efforts of automakers to meet emissions standards.

You @me over being harsh to 70s cars. I have responded.
Last edited by NeoOasis on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:29 am

Patridam wrote:

Certainly the style, materials, fit and finish of pre malaise cars was better, even if technologically they were of course inferior to modern ones.

In the malaise era the car companies went on a cost cutting at all cost spree, implemented measures to improve fuel economy without the technology to make it work, and it shows.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:57 am

Coincidentally, I'm currently playing GTA IV with my realistic handling and spawn frequency mod, and I just made the Virgo my daily driver around Liberty City.

It's a rarher fitting car for a playthrough that also involves a chase between two 80s American sedans, kicking a man out of the window and into a river, getting a shotgun in a super-liberal city and hitting the strip club to the sound of AC/DC, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

East Fredonia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby East Fredonia » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:07 pm

*Mr. Regular voice* BROOOOWWWWWWNNNNN
Cannot think of a name wrote:Well, that's part of a larger problem in general where the younger generation is being priced out of f***ing everything and instead of addressing the mess they made the older generation is blaming it on f***ing avocado toast. But that's another thread.

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.54

Auzkhia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Auzkhia » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:00 pm

East Fredonia wrote:

*Mr. Regular voice* BROOOOWWWWWWNNNNN

Mmm, Malaise.

This is the first year it went FWD, right?
Me irl. (she/her/it)
IC name: Celestial Empire of the Romans
Imperial-Royal Statement on NS Stats
Factbook Embassy App
Trans Lesbian Non-binary Lady Greco-Roman Pagan Socialist

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:48 am

Another weekend, another 24 hour race. This time Nüburgring. I may be watching solely to see what the hell a racing X-Bow looks like in the field. With over 20 classes there's no way I'm keeping track of what the hell is going on beyond SP9 which is FIA GT 3 cars. Porsche Benz Porsche at the moment.

There is an Opel Manta out there with a racoon tail on its antennae like it was the 70s.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:34 am

How long have I been watching this race and not a single X-bow sighting. First through third were in question until the second place AMG made out with a wall. Now it's two Porsches and then these two Audi GTs from different teams that are racing like it's fucking NASCAR.

There are like a hundred damn classes. I'm only paying attention to the top one, SP 9.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:14 pm

Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General